Reviews of Howard Johnson Hotel by Wyndham Newark Airport 2 stars

20 Frontage Road, Newark, NJ 07114, USA

#17 of 18 hotels in Newark

6.2

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The facility was outdated Bathroom was not the best. Shower tub was painted and it was chipping off...the toilet was not working at first. Needed to lift up the lid of toilet and jiggle the workings to get it to work. Bed felt like a big spring...not comfortable. They did not tell you that you needed to pay $15.00 extra over and above the reservation just to park your vehicle in their parking lot. Not cool. Oh well...

Location to the airport....free shuttle service was great!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room was falling apart-electrical wall outlets were coming off the wall; towel rack was falling down; room (which was supposed to be non-smoking) smelled as if someone had just smoked a pack of cigarettes; holes in the wall. Overall appearance was dingy and unkempt.

Free shuttle to airport.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The carpet didn’t look like it was clean and the room smelled. I got there so late I dealt with it. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone

Location was good for what I needed

I went through a 3rd party for reservations, with option to pay at hotel. Upon check in with cash in hand, I attempted to pay, and was told it was already put on my credit card. The restaurant was convenient, however my breakfast of eggs, potatoes, bacon and toast was totally cold. The addition of the 15% tip is totally unjustified.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Need to update the decor of hotel ,bigger rooms and more towels .

Staff of workers pleasant and helpful. Everyone was quick to answer any questions and available to correct any problem

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I did not like the location of the property. Seems too run down from the outside and in a commercial business area. Parking is too expensive. Parking was $15 a day. I asked why it was so expensive and attendant said it’s because they have security because they were in a bad location.

The bed doesn’t have blankets only sheets and a thin throw blanket. This would definitely be a problem in the winter months.

It was nice for what I paid for.

The facilities are rundown at best. The beds were hard and uncomfortable, with cheap pillows and sheets. The hallway on the third floor reeked of air freshner & incense. Hotel guests were hit with a $15/night parking fee.

The proximity to the airport was great. It took us 10 minutes to drop off our rental car. The room was very clean and the little restaurant downstairs/room service was surprisingly good. Since there is no food within a 1.5 mile radius, that was a plus.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The location was not in a good area, it’s tucked away by a car lot. The property needs a lot of upgrade and Reno, carpet was not clean, it felt sticky, the bathtub was starting to peel off. Not a very good selection for food. It’s not worth the price. We had to pay $15 a day for parking, $25 per person for the shuttle.

Staff was quick to provide room service.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Deadbolt in door misaligned & did not work. Hot & cold faucet reversed & crappy looking. Bed covers had cigarette burns, & hint to housekeeping, smooth & tighten sheets so they don’t look slept in.

Close to the airport. Great shuttle service. Easy check in & out. “Reasonable” price.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The hotel being outdated and looking like it was out in the wilderness, it looked very run-down from the outside.

Hotel is a little rundown and it was hard to find the hotel and where to park, there was a gate type of thing. The best thing out of this hotel was the shuttle to the airport and being 5 minutes from Newark aiport.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

We paid $135.00 and we've stayed at other places for less and look way better. I accidently reserve a smoking room and there were stains in the bathroom floor and sink. There were couple strands of hair in the sink, bathtub and towel. We checked in at 10pm n was out by 7am. They charge for parking $15.00. We told the guy we stayed there and he said its still $15.00 cash. We went to the atm machine to get money then he asked us for a yellow ticket then he said oh you paid already inside. I don't remember being told that there will b a 15$parking fee. I would never go back there and don't recommend this place

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The hotel looks a bit run down.. the restaurant connected to it was less than impress .. you truly get what you pay for with this place. Would not recommend it to anyone

Overpriced for not great area, charging hotel guests parking?? Really though?? Then trying to charge for plastic utensils?? Really????? Room smelled as though animals had gone to the bathroom in it at some point

Not much

There’s water damage on the walls and the bathroom is a little shoddy but it’s fine, I only needed a place for one night to just sleep. There was a restaurant at the hotel but only one guy running it so there was no proper service. He said he had to serve everyone else (8 people at a table) which was inefficient, so we left. It would be better to have a coffee bar version for peopl that need to get going

Clean and comfy

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

From price to. Place to you name it

The staff had all a atitude not helpful the place smelled bad. Of burning insince very old and and smelly not cleaned Ya you pay for what you get but. In this instance i paid for something that was not worth what i paid then the park $15.00 with that hidden charge i could have stayed in a 4 star hotel

I booked this place because it was listed as having a place to eat, which I knew were were going to need since our flight came in late. We got in around 9pm and the pizza joint was closed, the gift shop which had snacks was closed. I checked on yelp before we went down to try to eat there and it wasn't a very good rating (last rating was a few years back) but we were starving and wanted food so were willing to try. When we inquired at the guest services desk about the restaurant (which looked like it was still open) they gave us a menu for a pizza place that delivered. This one also had terrible yelp ratings and was going to be an hour before it showed up. We went to bed hungry. As for the room, the bathroom needed to be updated as it had some major wear and tear but everything was still functional.

Location was good. This would be a good place for the budget minded person who just needs a clean bed to sleep in before or after a flight.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

One word—SEEDY. Don’t go there. Dirty from the moment you step in the front door. hallway was filthy with cig butts on floor and needed vacuum bedspreads were tattered and both had cig burn holes in tjem. I put towels down on the carpet to walk in. No USB ports for charging. Bathtub was dirty.

Breakfast in restaurant was good.

The location at a remote end of airport, and isolated by highway and access roads made walking anywhere very difficult and unwelcoming. Hotel is right on flight path, but rooms had good soundproof. Desk staff was not very welcoming which always is a big turn off for me.

Booked this as it was cheapest option to stay overnight at Newark airport, flying in late and flying out early. The room was clean, relatively modern and comfortable. The shuttle service was efficient and the driver was very friendly and helpful, asking everyone what time they needed a ride the next morning.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The staff were not friendly,from the receptionist to the manager.The next morning after I checked into the hotel I called to inform them I will be paying to extend my stay by few hours before heading to the airport and that I will come to pay the additional fee when I am done breastfeeding my baby, to my surprise the manager and receptionist were knocking on my door to pay them despite my time has not expired and I informed them I will come to pay when I am done breastfeeding,they will not leave until I paid.I also asked that a porter helps put my luggages on the cart since I have a 3months old baby and a 3yrs toddler with me, I was told to go out and get the cart at the reception,load it myself and push it to the taxi. I had to that leaving the two kids by themselves.The manager saw me dragging 5 big suitcases into the cart and walked by. Porter services was part of the attraction I saw on their site that made me book the room since I was traveling heavy with kids and I know I will require that service. I am so disappointed at the customer service,it’s so poor

The room was clean and the microwave in the room was helpful, though the coffee maker was dirty.

The staff was less than friendly. There is a sneaky parking charge, and it isn’t that the car is secure, it is just for a spot. You have no choice but to pay it because there is nowhere else to park.

The bed was comfortable. You can check in whenever you need to. The hotel is clean-ish.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bed and pillows were lumpy and uncomfortable. The toilet made a certain hissing noise throughout the night. The restaurant menu said hours of operation , but was not open during such hours.

The shower was good, and hair dryer worked great.

I didn’t like that I booked my room then I get there and they tell me I have to pay $15 a night for parking. Why not add that to the room fee. There was blood on my bedding. The hotel is in a very sketchy place.

I liked that it was close Newark penn station and the air conditioning worked.

15.00 to park, hard to find, no stores or restaurants around property

Smelled nice , beds small one was broke , not cleaned behind beds, black stiff in cracks in bathroom , looks like mildew or mold

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Delay in shuttle transport. Not accessible to public transportation. Taxi service was expensive

It was good and ok. I have a good experience. I will vone back when am in NJ

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The "Ambrosia Cafe" lists open hours until 2:00 AM in their brochure, but were only actually open until 10:30 PM, so not at all useful for late arrivals! Paint peeling and crumbling in bathroom, bathtub drain broken, shower curtain fell down while showering first morning! Needs overhaul...

Close to Newark Airport. Shuttle van drivers were very helpful.

Nothing, all good!

The hotel and very close to the airport which was great coming in on a late flight! The shuttle made it very easy to get to and check in was quick and smooth. Then bed was also extremely comfortable!

Dated rooms. Built at end of runway so exceptionally noisy until 01:00 and started again at 06:00 Built in industrial area so nowhere to go to or even walk too

Reasonably priced. Good choice. Room service was available.

Its dirty and dark-

The place is in a rat hole part of Newark and Its very dirty and dark. The only thing redeeming quality about this place its somewhat close to the airport-

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Would have been great to have an electric jug in the room.

Appreciated the location close to the airport, the well check out time and the 24 hour shuttle and reception/check in service.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The carpets were disgusting, and the place smelled. I would put this at a $40 a night motel, not $80+ a night hotel. You can hear everything the neighbors do. I also didn't know about in rooms still existed.

Not much comes to mind

Instructions on where to go to get the shuttles could have been clearer. Perhaps an automatic message to those who have booked...

It’s close enough to Newark airport, the shuttle runs at night to come pick people up. It was good for an overnight stay.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

It had a funny smell in the halls. The rooms where suppose to be non smoking but they smelled of nothing but cigarette smoke and you have to pay for parking. There were bugs in the bathroom.

Parking 15$ extra, off-site street parking in the somewhat shady industrial surroundings is possible. Wifi very unreliable in that guests have to re-confirm the usage guidelines frequenly, and Windows Firefox complained about expired certificates.

Large clean rooms, close to airport, but in the middle of several freeways. Clean bathrooms, modern lobby.

- the staff that works here. they dont wanna assist you, you ask a question its like they aint paying you no attention. i think they have a problem with blacks, if it aint that ; then they have a problem with something about me.

- i like the fact that it was a safe in the room. the microwave & fridge.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

I didn’t like anything about this place i will never go there again even if they offer stays for free

i walked in the staffs are bad they didn’t smile they had bad attitude, asked me for ID and credit card then he started copying my credit card thats when i got mad they cannot copy my id and my credit card and they are not leaving them in safe place all copies are on counter so anyone can walk out with yhem but the fact that bothers me why would he have to take a full copy of my credit card

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It smelled like smoke everywhere, Even though I was in a non smoking room every time I left my room I smelled smoke. The both room door in my room wouldn’t even close, it stuck out like a sore thumb so we couldn’t lock it. It cost for parking, which isn’t bad because it is near the airport, but you might as well get a room at the embassy suites near the Jersey gardens Mall for that price, they don’t charge for parking. It is also near some towed cars lot in the middle of nowhere away from all society, so if you want to be alone away from the city, this is perfect for you.

The people

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Nothing at all the dam shower curtain fell on top of my daughter and when I went to the front desk everyone seemed to disappeared. Then my other daughter took a shower and it fell on her too. I am so not happy with this place at all.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Advertised $15 for minibus to NYC but charged $5 extra for small suitcase. Impossible to close the curtains to get darkness. The orange light from the city/airport made it difficult to sleep.

Fast and free minibus from the airport.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Dirty, outdated rooms, bed is uncomfortable, They charge 15 dollars at night for parking with no vallet. Windows and parking in lot dirty. No coffe.

Location was the only good thing

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Very close to the airport but I went in to relax

I did not like anything about that motel/hotel it wasn't clean, I paid too much for the quality of the place, no parking or breakfast including and in the morning I woke up with the a very loud clean ing ladies talking very loud on the hallway including singing, I would never go back or recommend any one to go There and the place is very old they need a lot of updated before you can charge $99 rate per night plus tax and parking, 🤢🤢🤢

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I think the heatpump runs well but there is a smell when it goes to heat, May need to be serviced. Bathroom paper holder is awakward.

Very helpful friendly staff!😀 Excellent plumbing fix. Excellent bed & pillow

The lobby was quite dingy, with an old, stale smell. The room was better.

We used this hotel to relax in before our very late Europe flight out of Newark, having driven down from northern New England. It sure beat sitting in Newark airport for 8 hours.

Rooms are dirty and old

Staff is ok. Rooms are really dirty, bathtub was clogged. Bathroom was really dirty, old. They have a cafe/restaurant food was ok. You have to pay for parking, not impressed. Make this place your last option.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Room was slightly in need of some upgrades. Wall paper peeling, bathroom walls sort of deteriorating. The room was comfortable but overpriced. It would have been nice to have some sort of breakfast included at that price.

SMALL ROOM

The bed was lousy and tilting one side. They charged my credit card for one extra night after I left. NOW SAYING WILL GIVE THE CREDIT BACK. NOT AS COMFORTABLE AS I FIND IN ALBANY NY NO FREE BREAKFAST. PARKING CHARGE WAS EXPENSIVE AND NOT DECLARED BEFORE THE BOOKING..

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The staff was not friendly. The non smoking room smelled like straight smoke. They had roaches and when alerted the staff they seemed to not be concerned. Not a good hotel stay.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room was basically clean, but could have been cleaner (in the corners, around the edges, etc.). The towels felt rough. When we turned on the heat it smelled terrible, either because the filter has not been changed or maybe because it hadn't been used in a while. We could not use the heat/air unit because of the smell from it. The room smelled fine before we turned it on.

Value for money, kids liked the TV, the room was spacious enough, good hot water, mostly clean, microwave and fridge if needed, helpful front desk, shuttle options to the city or to the airport, staff gave us several options for getting to New York if we had decided the shuttle was too expensive, the food from the restaurant was pretty good and not too expensive and very convenient. Although it is near the airport and we could definitely hear the airplanes, it was not too bad, and we generally slept well.

Didn't like the room, the staff was horrible, the parking was terrible. Just a overall bad experience!

Don't go to this hotel! We didn't like anything!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There is nothing to like at all No drinking water in room And the parking for cars is not free.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Really not much. Staff courteous. Never got chance to try on site restaurant.

The beds were firm & cozy, slept well after long flight home. Shuttle driver (Shiah) was The Best - offered lots of advice and a great disposition.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

It is very near EWR and rates are better than the others arround.

All our flights were from or to EWR we wanted to stay somewhere to have minimum Transport and have a good access to NYC for tour between flights.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

On landing strip of airport. Rooms are outdated beds not comfortable. Staff at front desk not very friendly. Then they charge you $15 to park. Will not be staying here ever again

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

They don't clean well. There was hair on my pillow case and on the bathroom sink. The airport shuttle takes forever. The walls are paper thin and other guests were loud.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Ice machine on the second floor. Dinner was cold. Bed looked dirty and the shower needs a newer seat. No security in the parking lot.

Convenience to Newark airport.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Location was a little bit off the beaten track, in more of an industrial location, therefore the shuttle bus was definitely required.

The room I stayed in was very nice and clean The shuttle service to the airport was readily available and went every 30 minutes. I paid the driver a $2 tip each time. Staff at reception were very helpful Didn’t need to use the restaurant services

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bed and pillows uncomfortable. Old hotel and in need of more upgrades. Very Noisy air unit, and did not work well. Planes taking off and landing till midnight so noisy.

Proximity to the airport.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The front desk staff was very friendly at check-in, it was super easy. We checked in about an hour late which was no problem, there is resturant right on the main level that offers room service, they sell everything from breakfast foods to american burgers. The room was amazing! comfortable and VERY CLEAN! They provide an iron and ironing board. The bathroom has a huge soaking bath tub and shower. Great lighting and mirrors. The beds were made so nice and neat tucked sheets and blankets (old school style), there is a nice flat screen tv, a mini fridge, coffee maker and plenty of outlets. We probably heard a plane or two, but the kids thought it was pretty cool to see the planes during the day. We had a great night sleep we heard no planes or any outside noise or noise from other guest. Check-out was also super easy and swift. Overall we had a great stay at the Howard Johnson and will be back very soon!

Staffs are not so friendly.

The room is spacious and well-maintained. It has a refridgrator and microwave. The Greek restaurant downstairs is pretty nice too.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

At 8am the alarm In only our room was going off for hours and it said gas leak, so we called and no one came for a hour so we left! Just before we left someone came in and took the smoke detector out

It was a good stay, room was okay. Besides the tub clogging and smoke detector going off early in morning causing us to leave.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

We spent an overnight at the hotel while traveling. It is a short walk to two long term parking lots for Newark Airport. The staff was friendly, the hotel was clean and comfortable and provided a good selection of in room amenities. It has a reasonably priced restaurant, the waiter was pleasant and the food was good. Sahiak, the shuttle driver, was very helpful with information on navigating through the airport. We would use this hotel again.

Restaurant staff tried to double charge me. They claimed it was an error, called their boss, and fixed it immediately

The front desk staff and shuttle drivers were courteous and friendly.

The shower was dirty feeling and the shower head didn’t work very well, I got a rash from something.

the shuttle driver was nice :) the room was big and I liked that they had a microwave and mini fridge.

Bed very uncomfortable and pillows lumpy. I woke up every hour. Shower did not work. The push/pull mechanism was stuck in bath mode. Ring around shower pipe that holds it to the wall was loose and shower pipe shook. Shower curtain rod came down. I told staff about this when I was checking out, but they didn't seem to care.

Restaurant was fine. Nothing special. Small place. A 4-person group walked in and had to ask for an unused table to be moved and unused chairs as well so they could sit to eat. Staff might have offered it to them on their own. Desk chair in room very comfortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

the staff at the front desk should be more attentive.

decent room, comfortable beds. fridge and micro surprised me. the restaurant worker was very very helpful, and kind. good food. this hotel is very close to the airport, but almost no noise when you in the room

The remote for the TV could have been better,I had a hard time with it,and the toilets would be better if they were elongated they are higher and more comfortable to sit on.

Staff was very friendly and accommodating.The food in the restaurant was superb.The pictures on the corridors wall are a beautiful way to see the city without actually being there.Very clean and easy to get around.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No where in US they charge money to keep luggage for few hours, especially for biz travellers. Even the staff and shuttle drivers are so UNFRIENDLY. I wouldn't advise staying here

Just it's proximity to the airport

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Beds and pillows very uncomortable ..bad perfume in hallwats to hide smoking smell as people did smoke in hotel despite a non smoking hotel. Parking charged $15 but advertised as $12 .

Location ,bang for the buck,spacious and clean room.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

I fairly think that this particular location should not be treated as a Hotel, it is more like a Motel. the location it is real hide in a comercial area, there is some kind of old smell in the hallways, they charge you $15 dollars per parking at the hotel and I personally consider that it should of be free with booking. I do like howard Johnson hotels but I will think it twice to stay at this particular location.

There are no restaurants nearby and the hotel's restaurant closes at 10PM so if your flight is arriving around 9PM be prepared to order pizza or Chinese food

Location is great when staying one night to catch a flight, free shuttle is useful and very convenient

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

They are deceptive. You don't find out until you get there that they charge their guests $15 dollars to park. Had I known, I would've spent that extra few dollars on a nicer place.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There is nothing that I did not like about my stay at Howard Johnson.

I liked everything about my stay at Howard Johnson. The hallways were very clean and smelled great. The room itself was so comfortable and inviting.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

delicious breakfast at the in house restaurant . very comfortable bed for the night at a reasonable price complete with free shuttle service from newark airport.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Not a thing except not getting stuck at Newark in the first place. Howard Johnson has my vote.

The staff was very accommodating in the difficult weather situation. The restaurant was very busy with hungry, tied and frustrated travelers due to storm Grayson and multiple airline cancelations. They were very good and the food was good.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The beds are not comfortable, it looks old. It’s a bit further than the other hotels. The location of the hotel is hidden. But the price wasn’t too bad.