Reviews of Howard Johnson Hotel & Suites by Wyndham Orange 2 stars

1930 East Katella Avenue, Orange, CA 92857, USA

#3 of 9 hotels in Orange

Not quite as advertised.

The air conditioning did not work in any of the common areas at all and in the room it barely worked. The pool was not open for use because a "glass had just been broken in it". The floor in our room was wet under the air conditioner and about 2 feet out from it. The "queen" beds were very small.

We were able to stop and rest. The price was good although I would have paid more to have had a room with air conditioning.

Orange Trip

Parking is horrendous. And only one way in or out. Strong bleach smell when we first walked into room and only two towels.

Updated room. Cold mini fridge. Nice pillows

Most was very enjoyable.

The thin bed linens thin shower curtain And towels. One of the beds squeezed very loud and often. The breakfast had no cream cheese for bengals and no peanut butter for English muffins. No protein

Landscape , devote.

The room was clean and comfortable.

The parking is terrible, easy to get in but hard to get out. The breakfast they served was fine the first day but seemed to run out of supplies as our stay was four days.

The room was clean and comfortable. The hotel had easy access to the 55 freeway. Evening staff was very kind.

Excellent value and very comfortable!

The upgraded blinds were nice but let a lot of light into the room which made it hard to sleep in.

Great price for fresh, clean and spacious space to stretch out, comfortable beds, microwave and good sized refrigerator for leftovers, free coffee and simple breakfast. Plus my friends son could actually hook up his Xbox to the TV (where most places have their TVs blocked from this).

Hard To Fault For Money

Staff tried to charge way more at reception on arrival, had to get a manager in to sort it out, vending machine broke and not regularly stocked.

Very big room, massive bed, desk, swivel chair, good bathroom with a bath if a little small, hair dryers in room, parking right outside the room. Great location right next to I-55 freeway so good connections. Loads of restaurants right outside with Uber Eats covering it so could order takeout regularly.

The bed was comfortable, staff was friendly, wifi was great,...

Small stain on sheet, hairs on the floor, front door has spaces that allow outside elements inside

The bed was comfortable, staff was friendly, wifi was great, room was spacious, great microwave and fridge.

The staff and management were exceptionally accommodating...

I don't think the windows are dual-paned so it got a little noisy in the mornings as people were carrying suitcases to their cars. But we will absolutely stay here again!

The staff and management were exceptionally accommodating and friendly. They went out of their way to check us in a little early so we could get to Disneyland for the day. The refrigerator is a good size.

Good location, but pricey considering the quality. Cleanliness concerns are a definite negative.

The bedsheets in my room had multiple brown and red stains. I asked for them to be replaced and the staff kept on bringing me additional bed sheets that had stains on them until about the third try, when a clean pair of bedsheets was finally found. This place needs to purchase new bedsheets.

The location was good.

we enjoyed our stay, the location for our needs was perfect, but the furniture is beginning to wear.

we really could only find 2 things to bitch about. first, the water tap on the powder room sink leaked whenever it was turned on.....resulting in water, obviously, running onto the counter, and down onto the hardwood floor. needed to be continuously monitored and dried with one of the few towels provided. more towels, per request, would have been appreciated. and there appears to be inadequate parking. every spot was full, and the restaurant next door posts no parking signs everywhere. they don't open til 5pm.....work a deal with them for the overflow!!!

I just wanted my room to be clean and feel safe but i didnt.

When i got there there was like 3 cop cars then they had people outiside fighiting and the worst part was they gave us the room next to them so the people eneded up leaving around 3am... also went into my room a billow looked like if someone had stabbed it with a knife and the sheets looked kinda dirty

The price

good value if you are on a budget

walls are paper thin. you can hear everything going on outside, room next door, above and i do mean everything shutters instead of curtains. lets in outside parking lot light, if you are a light sensitive sleeper and you need a dark room, this is not the place for you

good value if you are on a budget. Friendly staff. Very clean. Fresh coffee and danish pastry in lobby in morning

Pleasant overall except for a couple of glitches that derailed the experience from being awesome!

When I first opened the door and stepped inside, it smelled like someone had recently smoked a pack of cigarettes in there. When I went to bed, I pulled the sheets up to my chin and I smelled an unpleasant odor from them the first night when we arrived. the second night was fine. For the money I paid for those rooms, I shouldn't have experienced that.

I like the cleanness of the room, the daily coffee allowance, the ironing implements, and the showing setup. I also like where the ice machine was placed. Parking was ample and right in front of the door, which was good.

Awful

Awful bed; smell of weed all night and day - we stayed here 3 nights; people are living in this hotel; have to drive through Chevron to get here; terrible bed and futon (a futon!!); water all over the floor when we got into our room from broken sweeper at bottom of door (they hoses off outside patio and water seeped in); we will never stay in a Howard Johnson again

All in all a good experience.

Wish there was a bit more to the breakfast and tat it was available until 10.

The staff is always friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Pillows are important to me and there are always two per guest.

Good, but not fancy.

There was zero sound deadening and I. Luke hear everything that was happening outside the room or in the adjacent rooms.

The room itself was nice. It was clean overall.

Would not stay at that property again.

Was not a quiet stay which is what I wanted. Asked for ground floor and did not get it. Heater didnt work proper. Was charged for room incorrectly.Overall mostly unhappy with managemant.

Several small issues came up during stay. Management completely unwilling to remedy the issues. After addressing management the said what they wanted to and were done with me. They collected there money and wasn't interested about customer care.

It was very comfortable and relaxing.

There was nothing we didn't like.

We enjoyed the friendliness of the staff. It was relaxing to have a full bath. We appreciated and used the refrigerator, the microwave, the coffee maker and the iron and ironing board.

We stayed only for the night but had a great time just relaxing in the king-sized bed.

Besides being near the freeway it was fine if you had your tv on.

Loved the huge king size bed. Also the rooms were bigger than I thought they were. It was clean and the man that checked us in was awesome and friendly.

Clean Friendly and Confortable

It would be nice to have an option that is not bread/oats or sugar oriented for breakfast because I have dietary restrictions. But the breakfast is still nice!

As always, friendly service and clean comfortable room.

customer service sucks but location is good

Bad customer service, toilet overflowed and we had to clean it ourselves with 4 towels, they wouldnt give us a mop or offer to help and wouldnt even give us more towels. I will be contacting the manager

Rooms were spacious

Satisfying but not excellent

Some bed sheets had stains. Shower head pressure was too weak. Loud neighbors. Can easily hear outside noises.

Nice clean room and bathroom. Color scheme of room is pretty

I would stay here again. The renovated rooms made me feel like I was in a 4-5 star hotel.

We arrived several hours early before the actual check in time, maybe around 10. And they quickly accommodated for us and cleaned our room as soon as possible so we could check in.

Don't book at this awful motel

Bugs on bed and bathroom floor. Disgusting. Noisy Room smells bed. AC on wall very noisy Breakfast consisted of soggy English muffins and white bread to toast. Safe was locked when we tried to us it. Had to take valuables and hide them in our car. Coffee in lobby was horrid.

Acceptable but not desirable

The location is not appealing(behind a gas station and very hard to enter the location and the wifi keep going out which is terrible when you need to work.

Room was clean staff was nice

D23 Expo, Disneyland

A team staying at the hotel was noisy one early morning. Not the Hotel's fault.

Great Staff, clean rooms, comfy bed, good breakfast. Our go to spot when in the area. Close enough to Disneyland to be there in minutes, far enough away to be away from the madness.

Great hotel

I loved the hotel I just didn't like that the staff forgot to add towels to my room.

The place was very clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. The owner was very attentive and recommended some good places to eat around the hotel.

The staff was all very nice.

Our rooms did not look like the images online at all. The floors were dirty, with used towels under the bed and behind a door. The bathroom had bars on the window, and did not look clean.

The staff was all very nice.

Didn't sleep much

Noisy from traffic, too much light let in through the windows and under the door both, long black hair from maid (presumably) was on the white sheets and pillows, light in bathroom didn't work after about 2 seconds.

Bed was ok. Had a refrigerator. Good hot water. Great wifi.

Worst hotel experience I ever had

I booked 2 rooms the second room was for my brother, his wife, & 2 yr old twins. They were staying in a room that smelled like paint, had no phone, & no toilet paper holder. Why is a room like this being booked? Asked to be moved & there was 0 rooms available. They offered a candle to "mask" the paint fumes. The room needed to be aired out & properly dried before it was booked. They were moved the next day to another room but still had to stay in the room for the night. Also, the towels in this hotel were so rough & over used they should invest in newer softer towels. Never staying here again. Worst hotel experience I ever had. The whole hotel needs to be upgraded.

Just the fact we found a hotel on a busy weekend

Dont put yourself at the hands of the staff behind the desk

Staff

Staff at desk was rude and unprofessional. I will never return. This is the second time I have had to suffer because of this person. He should not be in a service industry position.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Great place to sleep!

Breakfast.

Manager and staff were great. Pool was too cold. Laundry sucked didn't get my clothes clean. No juice or fresh water at the breakfast which was skimpy. Only cereal, toast, sweet roles and bruised fruit.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Our stay here was quite nice.

My only issue with this location was the parking. Such a cramped up parking lot, there was literally no where to park!

The facility itself was nice, enjoyed our stay and would come back again.

The bed was very comfy

We had to wait for housekeepers to clean our towels everyday. Front office manager was rude, He made us wait 35 min after check in time because the room wasn't ready!

The bed was very comfy

The bed was very comfortable

There was a lot of noise in the area lot of construction and stuff going on so it was fairly noisy and the jacuzzi was not working at which that's the reason why I booked that room I called the front desk and he told me how to work it but it still did not work and he did not come there to show me anything

The bed was very comfortable

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Feels like a truck stop

Unsafe location, poor quality of linen looks used and had stain, toilet stopper broken, pictures do not reflect look of property or rooms. Has a truck stop feel. Free breakfast is two cereal containers

Bed was comfortable, fridge and microwave

The room was very dirty.

The room was very dirty.Wore shoes because floor was dirty. Cleaned tub before use. The bed did not have a fitted sheet on mattress pad. The white towels were gray & very worn. The cover on bed and blanket had burn holes in them (from cigarettes) and we were supposed to be in no smoking room. We will never stay there again!

Not what Howard Johnson's used to be

The AC unit made loud noises throughout the night, and opening the windows in that neighborhood isn't a smart option. Room was newly remodeled, however seemingly not by professional contractors. Towels were not in the room but we were brought some, when we asked for them (3 of us checked in but we got 2 hand towels, to wash cloths and 3 bath towels.)

The desk staff was extremely friendly and pleasant.

Excellent stay
    • Studio Suite with 1 King and 1 Double Bed - Non-Smoking

The water in the sink would not go down. It appeared the faucet was broken.

There was plenty of space. Very clean room. Excellent air conditioner. Easy access to freeway. Comfortable bed.

Very good value!

Parking was a nightmare! The parking lot is the size of a postage stamp. We had to park outside of the lot and lug our luggage across the parking lot in the heat. The lot when full has absolutely no way of turning around so you have to carefully back out if it is full.

The room was very clean and new. No carpet, Harwood floors which I appreciate because they hold less dirt. The front end staff are so kind and polite. The location is tricky to find but once you do then is easy. It is right off the freeway. 10 minute Uber gets you to Disneyland.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

This is one fantastic hotel !

I had a very positive experience here once again. Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was good size, clean as a whistle, so was bathroom. The desk staff were easy to deal with and the entire stay was enjoyable.

Satisfied

If getting checked in late parking could be a problem but open spaces near by area

The rooms are very spacious and clean. The outside area was quite through out the night.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

comfortable. best value for money in area.

maybe expand breakfast a tad.

mattress was excellent!room had been renovated within last 2 yrs or so. spacious room. staff pleasant & eager to make our stay comfortable.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

This was very convenient for the stadiums in Anaheim, safe,...

The parking was rather tight, but hey, it was free and in the greater LA area

This was very convenient for the stadiums in Anaheim, safe, and nicely priced

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Don't use.

The room was filthy, the location is not just next to a freeway (which I knew beforehand) but you have to drive through a gas station to get to it, and the bed messed up my back.

It was kinda close to where I had to be each day.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

If you're on a budget and know what two stars mean..

Rooms really need updating(curtains, bedspreads, carpeting) as does shower. Towels are small. Definitely a two star hotel.

It was close to our friend's house.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Everything worked out

When I went to take shower the tub was dirty and so I started looking around the room everything was good but checked the bed the sheets had not been changed their was hair and stuff in the bed I call the staff and got put in another room the beds in there were uncomfortable. Decor a bit dark, but it all worked out

Location was good for where I needed to be

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Better dust this time.

On our last visit, after calling to confirm our room and that we would be a late arrival, we were told that they didn't think we were coming, do our room was already charged as a no show to a different card than what we wanted to use and we were given a terrible unrenovated room with a bed that was broken and un-sleepable. Frankly we should not have been charged for that night. They apologized the next day and moved us, but that did not make up for having to pay for being sore, un-rested and having valuable time taken out of our schedule to wait for a room to be cleaned to move. It was unacceptable. This trip we gave HoJo another chance. Luckily this time we were given an acceptable room and had a wonderful stay. Thank you for improving.

We had a great stay this time. Nice room, comfy bed, and friendly, helpful staff. This Howard Johnsons redeemed itself.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Size of room.

Location. Only way in/out of hotel is making a right turn only through a gas station on a very busy street (4 lanes). In addition, couldn't see oncoming traffic very well, hindered by big bush. Dangerous intersection with two freeway entrances within 1,000 ft. Would be good if one was using freeway but in my case, was not, therefore, had to cross two lanes of traffic all the time.

Size of room. Bed was comfortable. Walls in shower/toilet area needed cleaning.

Cozy and clean

The rooms were clean but the facilities are a little outdated. There was a patched up hole in our room and the duvet on our bed made it feel old as opposed to the other rooms we had previously stayed in at this same establishment. Also, we couldn't connect to the WiFi or watch any channels on the TV for that matter. One of the lamps did not work either.

It was cozy and clean.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Clean and comfortable

Everything was great! No complaints.

I've stayed here before and it's always great. Comfy room with a clean room and bathroom. Check in was fast as well.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

Cozy and clean

There was a problem with one of the keys to our room not working but they were quick to give us a working key. Also, the TV channels weren't working but that may have been because of the rain.

The check in process was very quick and the room had all the basics.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

Will definitely be back!

The parking was very narrow.

The rooms were spacious and liked that I was able to check in very late. Staff was very helpful. I requested a crib and there wasn't one available, so the manager went out and bought one. Talk about going the extra mile!

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

No humor with the front desk operator...

I called the previous night and a representative said I could check in early at 12 noon, but when I arrived at 12 noon the representative told me I had to wait and hour or longer for a room, because he had already issued rooms out to other occupants before I arrived.

Large room

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

i got a beautiful room I checked out late but no big deal.

it's not in their control parking is tight Must have sign outside by the gasoline station otherwise you'll end up entering the freeway, confusing location/entrance.

i got a beautiful room I checked out late but no big deal.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Breakfast ends at 9am....not 8:45..keep food full

Stayed 2 nights. 1st breakfast i showed up at 8:45. Desk person refilled food for the last minuet people. 2nd morning showed up at 8:30 and one cereal was gone and pastries were gone. Different front desk guy and he did not bring more food out...just had coffe and went to gas station to get food

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Dirty room

The room was very dirty. All the walls were stained. The bathtub was dirty. Every single was has stains on them. I couldn't even stay had to check out 2 hours later. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures. If I knew I were to get this email I deffinetly would have taken a lot of pictures.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

👎🏼

4 guests & 3 towels, 2 small soap bars, bed squeaked with any movement. Night desk person took a long time finding extra towels.

Close to area we visited

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

Nice room, mad traffic

The location is right by the freeway so pulling out is hard because of all the freeway traffic. You can only make a right turn and then you have to fight major traffic and go down 2 lights before u can make a u turn.

Rooms were big and clean. It even had a coffee pot, hair dryer and refrigerator.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

Nice stay

What I didn't like was the room could use a paint job , the fridge too close in the bathroom area . /also the Bath tub could use a polishing . The bathroom could use a paint job as well . Too many marks on the wall . But it wasn't a bad stay . One more thing they need a bigger sign in the front to make it easier to find the hotel .

The price , the pool, bed ,wifi. The room was really clean . The guy in the front desk was amazing ....

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Great place but confusion over what credit they take

They have a sign that they take MasterCard, but I tried to use one and they said they did not accept PayPal Mastercards... Not the prepaid either... If I didn't have different payment, that could have been a real problem when checking in late at 12:30 at night!

One of our go to places around Disneyland for trips on a budget. Rooms are quiet and comfortable with fridge/safe/wifi . Nice beds! Hop on the freeway and its 5 minutes to Disneyland and save on taxes since it is in Orange.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Mini vacation

The housekeeping woman was incredibly rude. One of my girls spilled the ice cube container, so we naturally used one of the hand towels to clean it up and it was black and filthy just from wiping up the water (floors are like a laminate wood material) kind of gross when you're crawling into bed with filthy feet and white sheets; anyhow, we requested some extra towels and the woman proceeds to tell me in a very snide huffy tone "oh this is no good anymore *shakes her head in disgust*, it's all dirty and no good and then she proceeds to tell me I'll be chared to replace them because they could no longer use them. What baffled me the most was how I would be charged for using their towels on their floors that they could not be bothered to clean properly so their floors were filthy.

They had Direct TV so our girls could watch their favorite Disney Jr. show

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Nice stay! Attractive new rooms and friendly staff!

They were mid remodel and so it was noisy during the day but I understand that they need to remodel and wasn't bothered by it. Don't be turned off by the exterior or the location (neither are great) - we had a nice peaceful stay in a location convenient to many things in Orange County (Disneyland etc). We were there because my daughter was doing a program at the UCI medical center.

They have newly remodeled the room and they are attractive and comfortable. We were the first to stay in our remodeled room. The staff were very nice and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

Dirty, noisy, uncomfortable. Nothing good to say about this place. They need to upgrade.

Very dirty, like why are there stains on the curtains?! Very noisy as well. Room above us had a very squeaky bed and squeaky floor, so we could hear them moving all the time. The air conditioner would either turn on and sound like a jet engine, or be off and allow the squeakiness of the upstairs floor make itself known. Bed was uncomfortable. Nothing good to say about this place. They need to upgrade.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Won't stay here again.

Although room was labelled at Non-Smoking room but smell of cigarette was pretty obvious as you enter the room and if eventually gets into your suitcases, clothes etc. Blanket and comforter had cigarette butt holes in them and pillows were paper thin and too small. Breakfast corner is too small (in the main reception area) - only four tables and 8-9 chairs. The room door lock opens upwards - go figure :). House keeping won't give you another soap until you specifically ask for it and if you've booked a 2 queen room, you will only get three towels for four people unless you ask for another one.

Great location right at the bank of I55. Many restaurants in the neighbourhood.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Decent place and location for a budget price

The refrigerator was unplugged so the whole freezer was defrosted and spilled water everywhere. I used the towels we had and then asked housekeeping for towels. They said they had none clean and would bring some, never did.

Great location for the activities we had planned.

Close by to the children’s hospital where my son was.

A little tough getting in and out of the property. Next to a freeway on-ramp

Close by to the children’s hospital where my son was.

It was OK

Parking, one of the shelves in the closet area was falling out of the wall.

Staff was helpful.

Overall, we got what we paid for and the hotel served its purpose

Breakfast hours!

Perfect

Didnt use breakfast bar

Visit a friend and rest

Room was very clean and comfortable

The gentleman that assist us was amazing.

The gentleman that assist us was amazing. Thank You so much!!!

Location, but access was difficult;

No elevator to 2nd floor, inadequate parking

Location, but access was difficult; tucked behind a car wash

Nice room in an OK motel.

It is right next to the freeway and hard to find.

Nice room

Annoying

The overall stay Neighbors were loud at night in an inappropriate way I had children present. Very unclean and overall gross