Reviews of Wyndham Garden Washington DC North 3 stars

5811 Annapolis Road, Cheverly, MD 20784, USA

#1 of 1 hotels in Cheverly

I was traveling to a friend's funeral service. I was tired, and could not easily access the facilit

The distance to my room. The paint job is of poor quality. The elevator is very small.

The greeting was very warm! The front desk was very courteous and helpful! The exercise room was available at any hour. The cleanliness of the room and the amenities in the room.

Good value for the money - stay here for the breakfast and proximity to football stadium
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Although recently renovated, it just feels run down. The carpet in the hallways is a trip hazard. Our bathtub had a weird patch on the bottom of it. Room smelled faintly musty. Our room was at the back of the hotel and faced some trees. So, it was quiet, but not picturesque in any way.

The breakfast at this hotel was AMAZING - eggs, sausage gravy, biscuits, fresh waffles, and more. We honestly were feeling a little meh overall about the hotel until we came down for breakfast. The water pressure was also really great in our room. It's about 15 minutes from FedEx Field for Washington Redskins games. I can't think of any other reason why you'd stay in this specific area. It looked like all the guests at breakfast were either there for the football game or a wedding room block.

It was good.

The lady at check in claimed that the shuttle only transported to the train station. We later found out that it transported to the vacinity that we were traveling to (FedEx Field).

The rooms were nice, beds comfortable. Nice sitting area outside.

It was very close to the FedEx Field and food areas .

The door in the room was difficult to close at times and the elevator is very small .

It was very close to the FedEx Field and food areas . The room itself was nice as well .

I was very pleased with my overall stay.
    • Executive King Room

The elevators were very small and I don't think they had a pool or jacuzzi. I love relaxing in the pool and jacuzzi when I stay at hotels.

I didn't wake up in time for breakfast. The bed and pillows were so comfy! Everything was really nice and clean. I will definitely come back again.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Decent place, could use some maintenance.
    • Executive King Room

I was put in a room with a broken air conditioner. Not great for DC in July. I asked for another room and they initially said they didn't have one, but then moved me to another handicapped-accessible room on the ground level. The rooms could have used a bit more lighting. The elevator was old and looked like it last had a paint job in the 1960s. Breakfast wasn't as good as I expected based on the reviews. They had biscuits and sausage gravy; the sausage gravy was good, but the biscuits were bland and previously frozen (still cold out of the buffet). Eggs weren't anything special. The breakfast staff was very nice, though.

Needed a last-minute place in the DC area to spend the night and get some work done. The bed was very comfortable. The a/c worked great in the second room. They let me check out a little late. Food delivery was simple; they let the delivery guy right up to the room.

Not worth saving money for
    • Executive King Room

Street signs didn't work, hallway smells, damage in bathroom

GPS sent us to the back entrance of the hotel, which was very difficult to find. Arriving at night, we circled and circled even after calling the front desk asking for help and directions. We were told to look for a neon street sign, and after about 30 minutes, we eventually found it - broken and unlit. When I told the lady at the desk, she shrugged her shoulders at me. We were sent to the "newly renovated wing" of the hotel - I can't imagine what kind of shape the "old" part was in. The bedroom clearly had some new furnishings, but the bathroom door, in particular, was peeling apart at the bottom, and it was clear it had NOT been renovated. The halls everywhere smelled of must and mildew - and it had been raining, but that shouldn't be an excuse unless the roof is damaged. I would not stay here again.

Still looking for a favorite Hotel
    • Executive King Room

You had to take steps in order to get to the king bedrooms. We had to stay in double bedrooms. Those rooms were less than cost in the king room but we paid the same price as the king room. They wouldn't make any adjustments or concessions. For that price and they still didn't have a pool or a hot tub.

Location number of outlets and bed linen

Poor breakfast

The breakfast The worst

Y’all need to do a whole lot better with that breakfast sausage was cold and not good at all eggs wasn’t real whole eggs no bacon no grits, oatmeal The breakfast was very, very poor. The worst I ever had at a hotel Everything eles was great

Bang for your buck.

Elevator esthetic didn’t match the hotel. Was old with paint chipped everywhere. Not very well maintained in comparison to the lobby, rooms, hallways.

The lobby and outdoor area was really nice. Rooms are spacious and clean. Worth the rate especially with its close proximity to downtown DC.

Room decor very nice.
    • Executive King Room

Walls are very thin. Could hear outside noise loudly. Tub didn't drain while showering. Access to rooms via outside was unfavorable considering the weather.

Room decor very nice. Room was cool and comfortable. Check in and out was a breeze. Staff was extremely polite and respectful.

A WASHINGTON Visit DON'T
    • Executive King Room

The property is very run down and in need of a major overhaul. There is very little sound insulation between the rooms and also the hallways, you hear everyone and everything easily from inside the room. The towels are threadbare! The secondary entry looks derelict, and the elevators were dirty.

The stay was okay but the back and forth I experienced with my room may be the worst

The check in experience with Brian went well but as the night progressed his attitude diminished after we asked that he explain why we were being asked to move to another room

The room was clean and I appreciated Reni's professionalism during check out after everything that transpired the night before with Brian!

With the free shuttle to the metro station, free WiFi and free parking, this hotel is a good deal!

This was a Howard Johnson’s that is being upgraded. Very small elevator

The breakfast was surprisingly good. One of the better hotel breakfasts, better than choise hotels where we usually stay. The Italian restaurant next door is very good with really low prices

Room was clean and comfortable, and the staff was very...

Hotel is rated as a three star on Booking.com, but I wouldn’t put it that high - it’s a bit old, and the carpets in the hallways is worn. However, the staff more than makes up for any negatives.

Room was clean and comfortable, and the staff was very friendly and accommodating.

I will never use booking.com again - they completely failed me.

The hotel was not able to find the reservation I made on booking.com although I had a confirmation#. The hotel manager was very nice and was able to give me a room at the rate which was posted on the site. I will never use booking.com again. The hotel was very noisy and marijuana smell filled the hallways. Do not ever stay at this place because Parking is a nightmare as they share the lot with a rowdy club next door. I could not sleep until 3am because of the drunk arguments and fights outside my window. I complained at the front desk and another young lady basically stated it is out of the hotels control. I felt as though the hotel manager should have called the police. Wyndham hotels in my city are a lot nicer than this one. This hotel is more like a red roof inn.

Hotel is close to the city.

Although we found a good deal in the price of a room I do not think we would stay there again.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

The room smelled really bad (like a smoker had lived there) and when we complained about the room smell the woman at the front desk completely ignored us and seemed very annoyed. The breakfast although it was free was very bland. Nothing really had any flavor and the were really no good options. The temperature of the water in the shower was all over the place. Mid shower it would go from comfortably hot to scolding hot and then really cold and back to comfortable.

Last minute booking
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Room has an old stench odor. The room was very clean. Fitness center cardio equipment is old.

The hotel is clean but a little dated. Hallway carpet is very worn. The elevator is too small and needs to be updated. Loved the massage shower head.

Liked the check in staff and how quickly they checked me in
    • Executive King Room

Restaurant did not have a bartender that night so I didn’t go there and shower water was freezing in the morning

Liked the check in staff and how quickly they checked me in

It was nice.

The elevator could use some updating it seems like it’s old and outdated. The hallway carpet and stairway carpet could use new carpentering as well as brighter lights in the hallway.

I didn’t eat breakfast, but the room was nice and comfortable, the staff was excellent and helpful.

We've stayed there before (it's near a relative's house). The staff is always very pleasant.

The facial tissues could be a better quality. Also, we couldn't shut the bathroom light, which might have been intended as a nightlight. We compensated by shutting the door partway.

The bed was very comfortable.

Bed, look of the place and breakfast.

There was no AC so we had to leave the window open and heat on to stay comfortable. The water in the shower turned from cold amd scorching hot. There was no in between. The lighting in the bathroom ran off a timer and it was a heat bulb so it got jot really quick.

Bed, look of the place and breakfast.

Will never stay at any of whyndham properties

The rooms need to be upgraded, tub was peeling looked dirty the refrigerator had rust in it, the towels looked dingy did not use a all, the toilet paper was very cheap and hard, good thing I brought my own, room smelled like smoke, and it's suppose to be a smoke free facility, the heating unit was pre-set which means we had no control of room temp. Our second room was too hot.

The check in clerk did a wonderful job,very friendly and courteous.

Since we just needed to sleep at the hotel, the experience with this Wyndham was good.

The hotel badly needs an update.

The hotel is clean but very outdated, with minuscule bathrooms and distressed (not shabby-chic, just distressed) furniture. We had issues with the coffee machine and nobody was sent to address it; there was never enough coffee left for three persons. The breakfast was OK and the personnel quite accommodating and nice. The location is a bit out of the way, still, easy to get to downtown and they also offer a shuttle to the Metro. All in all good, but not a 3 stars or the Wyndham I was accustomed to.

I don't want to waste anymore of my time talking about this lemon

Waited at the desk upon arrival for ten minutes. No one was there at the front desk. Get to room, go to take a shower and no soap was in the room. Went to call front desk and there was no phone in the room so I used my cellphone to call the front desk. She had a nerve to tell me to walk from the 3rd floor to get soap. The second day after room was cleaned still no soap and this time, no towels. I left the room to pick up kids and when I get back, we get out of the car and it smells like we are walking through a weed farm. They allow illegal substances on their property. This is definitely a local neighborhood if you know what I mean!!!!!!

Beds were very very comfortable

It was nice for the price and location; close enough to DC and shopping malls

The elevator was small and looked a bit run down. Couldn't bring my breakfast up to my room although I paid for it. They were taking breakfast away at 10 although it said breakfast would be over by 10:30

The size of the room. The fact that it wasn't carpeted so I didn't have to worry about my pup potentially using it as a potty.

Really lovely and would definitely go back

The water in the shower went hot then cold, the key cards didn’t work and we had to go to reception about 4 times to fix it but they were great about fixing it up.

The room was huge and really nicely decorated and clean. The staff were helpful and friendly and the breakfast was amazing value.

Hotel was close to the funeral facility.

Not sound proof, heard all hallway conversations. Issue with getting washcloths in room after room cleaned.

Keurig coffee maker in room, comfortable mattress, rooms cleaned daily, and in-room safe.

The pluses at this location are cost and an actual breakfast...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

If traveling to this location on a weekend consider the club next door people linger outside with loud music and conversation until very late which was right next to our room on the third floor. Once i called the staff to complain they did send security to ask the people to leave. We had to be moved from out first room when we arrived because the shower head was broken in the first room. Also the hotel doesnt allow for air conditioning to be used if they determine the heat should be on. So when ure room is beyond hot you must open a window to let in air to try and cool off which also means you will hear everything going on outside. I was told the building is that way because of how dated it is. Ive never stayed at a hotel where you cant manage the ac even if the heat is on in the actual building. Another issue we had which is pretty major is the beds. Two queen beds were horrible. We all left with back pain and extremely tired as it was not easy to get a good nights sleep in these beds. I let the staff know at check out. Housekeeping was not at all pleasant and didnt leave ANY towels.

The pluses at this location are cost and an actual breakfast every morning. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Location wise if visiting DC for the museums, white house and memorials, it wasnt bad getting there via car or train.

Would stay again if we couldn’t find anywhere else.

There was an old musty air to the entire facility, especially our room. The heating system was inadequate and took a long time to heat what was a very cold room when we arrived. Bathroom is tiny. The entire hotel is old and needs some serious updating. On the second day we had to ask that the towels be refreshed; our friends had trouble getting any at all.

Lobby and common areas were pleasant. Breakfast was decent. (Don’t fall for the dollar-a-day add on. Breakfast is free.)

The breakfast was great.
    • Executive King Room

Some things in the room could use updating but still overall, it was very good.

The breakfast was great. The staff was so helpful, friendly and very accommodating. The shuttle service to the Metro was fantastic both going to and coming back. Nice Happy Hour as well.

Miserable. I'm not sure how you calculated a 3.3. Other than breakfast, I'd give the hotel a zero.

Shower water wouldn't stay regulated. Changed every 30 seconds. I've never seen anything like it. Burnt my head. Nowhere close to find something decent to eat. The Italian restaurant behind the hotel was not good at all. Very noisy. The fan wouldn't stay on to drowned out the noise. Miserable stay. $171.00 was entirely too high for the location and quality of the hotel.

Good quality and variety.

It was overall a good stay and the shuttle provided us transportation to the metro into Washington.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

The food at the restaurant wasn't good, and I'm far from being a picket eater. The waitress had friends in the restaurant that she catered to but only came by our table twice.

It was clean. The beds were comfortable. The shuttle was very convenient. Staff was very friendly.

Chill
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

They kept telling me they was charging my card. Then someone would say they didnt and charged me for 3 days at once when I thought i was going down and paying every morning. Not good with reward points.

Rooms

The hotel rooms were okay, the hotel has a funny smell, and most of the staff isn't very helpful.

The hotel has a distinctive smell. The staff on the second day was not as nice or helpful as the people who greeted us the first day. Breakfast was not good at all, the lady in the kitchen is very rude and not helpful at all. The food is very bland. We only had some food the first day and decided to skip it all together the second day.

The rooms were clean and cold. Also, staff was helpful with early check-in.

I was pleasantly surprised and will come back again.

The elevator is very small.

Excellent location near the stadium. The room was very spacious and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was clean and it had a nice big tub. Its an old building and it's built well, so you don't hear the neighbors next door. The breakfast the next day was a surprise because we ate on stoneware with cups and real silverware. It wasn't paper plates and plastic utensils, but they had them if you needed to take it to go. The breakfast was good and there was many choices.

Stay ok/ shuttle sucked

no towel racks in bathroom,safe was at floor level(I am 70yrs old). Shuttle to train station ok, but pick up both days we used it was horrible. We called when we returned to train station for pick up and was told the shuttle was on the way: both days they picked us up an hour later even after two calls. THE HOTEL WAS ONLY 10MIN AWAY. Please look into this.

overall stay was fine,breakfast a plus

Breakfast and Pool area were nice.

Dishonest staff! Left my wallet behind in the room and didn't realize it until later in the afternoon. Called immediately and housekeeping had already left for the day. Had to call back the next morning twice before finally speaking with management. It was nowhere to be found.

Breakfast and Pool area were nice.

Bed was comfortable.

Door to room was hard to open and shut. Bar/restaurant at the bottom of hotel. Extremely loud w/ people talking and yelling at night and early morning hours. Elevator was extremely slow - had to take stairs.

Bed was comfortable. breakfast was good.

Great basics, weird elevator

The elevator was tiny and scary and really didn't fit the rest of the renovation.

The beds were great, and the breakfast had everything and was very good and well stocked

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Beyond belief!!!!

The noise in the corridor for about 2 hours. Screaming, shouting , doors slamming and doors being chapped. To scared to see what was actually going on so turned TV up to try and drown the noise. After about 2 hours a security guard was positioned outside our door. Never experienced anything like it.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Great for tourists travelling by car

Pool area was not open and under reconstruction; A/C was dripping

Shuttle to Washington DC;. Comfortable hotel room; nice breakfast area with decent breakfast

Good value for money but don't expect more than you pay fir

It was clear that when hotel became crowded, there were not enough resources for the crew to handle it. There wasn't enough food, delays in the shuttle and problems with linen.

Clean and convenient

Towels were scratchy.

Clean, spacious room. Comfortable beds. Staff friendly and accommodating. For UMD graduation. weekend, it's a far more affordable option offering rooms with 2 queen beds than anything in College Park. And only a few miles away from campus. Hotel's exterior is a bit dated but lobby area and room was very clean and updated.

Hidden Gem

They only have 1 small elevator for both guest and service.

The staff was friendly. It was easy access to the freeway and located near my family who lives just outside of DC. Great breakfast!

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!

The room and hotel in general was dirty and not well kept. There seemed to be people living there not just renting rooms. It was extremely loud in the halls THROUGHOUT the night with no intervention from staff with complaint from us. I definitely will not stay here again and probably not rely on booking.com reviews which were misleading at best.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Great breakfast, clean rooms, easy to find.

There is a restaurant down the hill from the hotel that becomes a night club on Friday nights. People going there use the hotel lot for parking. There were no spots at night trying to get into the hotel and people were loud and rude in the parking lot area. I almost did not want to stay at the hotel due to the atmosphere in the parking lot, but I am glad I did stay.

Best continental breakfast I've ever had a hotel.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Terrible night at a terrible hotel

They lost our reservation that was made weeks in advance. We were given a basement room by the laundry. People were partying loudly all night and our room a/c died and was heating instead of cooling. The room got hotter and hotter and all the staff did was bring a box fan! Oh and there were ants everywhere.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Comfortable, no regrets.

Seems some part of the facility is due for renovation. The lift is very small and appear too old when inside it.

Very comfortable bed. The breakfast was so very well. While having dinner, I was courteously given an extra soda on request at no extra charge.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

Staff very friendly

Was at the bar and halfway thru my drink I found glass floating in the cup. They did apologize and gave us another free of charge. I left something behind and called the next day. The person answering the phone took my information and said if you don't hear from us in 20 minutes call back. Of course I didn't hear from them and when I called back they said they never found my items. Yes I know it was originally but fault but seems honest people would turn stuff in.

Staff very friendly

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

The timer on the lights in the bathroom.

The timer on the lights in the bathroom. They shut off numerous times while my family and I were taking showers and getting ready. Invest in longer timers that last more than few minutes.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Comfortable but not modern

No directional signs on highway to hotel. Seems as if this was a very old hotel and they only updates to it we're to the beds. Rblooms, lobby, and elevator outdated.

Beds were very comfortable

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

Pleasantly surprised in Cheverly

Paying for breakfast was a huge downer. Almost nothing irritates me more than paying for something that should just be included in the price of the room.

The hotel had awesome landscaping, which is completely unnecessary for a good hotel stay, but I appreciate good aesthetics! :) The rooms were adequately comfortable.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

SCARY PLACE

It was very hard to find the address given landed us in a neighborhood behind the hotel, when we called the person that answered the phone could have cared less if we made it to the hotel, upon arrival she was still at the desk screaming at customers and telling the security guard he would be ok, not quite sure what happened but it scared my family quite thoroughly, the front desk could not find our reservation, and asked if we were sure we made one, then realized they had never downloaded the reservations from your site, the hallways looked like hotel had not been updated in 45 years the elevator BARELY fit 3people, but the room was completely updated and the gentleman that waited on us at the front desk, albeit confused was polite and nice.

Price was decent

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Excellent front desk staff

Very difficult to see entrance from road Reception area much too small to accept a tour bus full of group with reservations. many room changes due to smell of urine, hair on bed sheets, bed bugs Property located dark area with surrounding vacated businesses Large iron gates at one of two entrances to property are locked at 11 p.m. and not opened until 7 a.m., leaving one way in and out....possible fire hazard.

Excellent front desk staff

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Not safe

I didn't like that when we checked in someone was in the room still and we were not informed of that. Then Saturday night 11-12-2016 at 2am someone comes into the room!! How are guest supposed to feel safe and comfortable when that happens. Thank god my boyfriend was with me cause I was freaking out and couldn't go back to sleep!! As well you guys don't offer any movies that people can rent or watch. The shower was poor. I don't think we are ever going to stay with you guys again. We want to feel safe.

The staff was polite And the room was clean.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

My room was not bad

Elevator is small and creepy! Rugs in halls need replaced!

The bed was very plush and comfortable! Variety at Breakfast was good! Decent proximity to Capitol One Stadium and DC!

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

"Perfect Location" football in college park and touring WDC

best if you have car although shuttle helps this problem. Relied on metro as primary and only

on site manager who will accept only perfection with your stay

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Great Location, Clean Rooms

Pet policy is not clear. Service dogs are only allowed. They placed us in the basement because I left my dogs certification papers which wasn't bad. Arrived late at night and was given a room on the bottom floor. Was called early the next by someone at the front desk telling me that the hotel is no longer pet friendly...almost as if to say I'd have to leave. I explained that i'd left her documents behind. Said she'd check with the manager as to whether or not it was ok but never called back.

Clean, courteous staff, location in close proximity to BW Parkway.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Good Value but needs improvement

This location is not a corporate location and I think it suffers from a lack of leadership. The staff seldom seemed to be coordinated especially when it came to breakfast and the collection of a breakfast "ticket". Most visitors seemed to know nothing about it. Also I was under the impression that a shuttle would be provided to the nearest metro station every 15 minutes. However this hotel was being refurbished from a Howard Johnson and that policy changed to once an hour and only during the morning and evening hours up until 5pm. Had I not driven my car we would have had to drastically change our plans to be able to take the shuttle. Finally our check in and out was burdened by a staff member that could not pay attention to anything but her phone. We were overcharged $300 at check in and $250 at checkout. I had to call the bank so they could release the funds because she was not paying attention.

I liked the variety of hot breakfast items they served though you had to purchase breakfast as it was not included in your stay. I also liked the price for location as we were about a 20 minute metro ride outside Washington.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

You arrived

Elevator was small.

Recently renovated. Contemporary Design in rooms, lobby and outdoor terrace. Beautiful landscaping. Very nice staff. Easy check-in and check-out

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

They Help On Maintenance & customer care

No Heat In The Cold. & Off & On Power Issues. I got there at 4am Din't check in till almost 4pm. Plus charges I dint make put on my card

Comfortable Beds

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

NOT Wyndham Garden standard!! It's a motel in a bad neighborhood

This is NOT near standard for a Wyndham Garden Hotel. It is a MOTEL !!! I was VERY disappointed. The hallway carpets were disgusting and the walls and doors paint chipped an gross. The smell of smoke was overwhelming .. and it is a NON smoking hotel ..??? The pictures on the web site are very glamorized. I was honestly afraid to be in the room alone for the night. And yes... there was a reason my vinyle curtains were closed when I came in 😳 Ugh!!!! INCREDIBLY Grossed out and disappointed. Should have known it was going to be bad when I saw the word Lobby SPRAYPAINTED on the concrete wall by the elevator 😱

Staff was friendly and helpful. Room clean

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

We had tickets for the White House the first morning, but my family & I didn't get to take a shower.

Something was wrong with the shower, wouldn't turn off the first morning. Received a 2nd room, but no A/C. The staff moved us to a third room and things were good. for the last night.

The staff was great and good location.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Excellent Experience

Some areas of the hotel still need some improvements (hallways and elevator). I would like the hotel to be pay more attention to its green commitment (I hung my towels as indicated...but the cleaning crew changed them anyway). I am a green person so I would like the hotel to revisit this aspect with its cleaning team.

The staff was very professional and helpful. The shuttle bus service was convenient and the drivers offered the service with punctuality, regularity and consistency. The breakfast was varied (eggs, cereals, fruits, yogurt, waffles). The room) was comfortable and neat. What I liked the most was the service. Rolanda, Ibrahim, Monike and the rest of the staff provided a high quality customer service.

Enjoyable

Everything!!!

cleanliness

cleanliness

It had a old water smell smell.
    • Executive King Room

It had a old water smell smell.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Nothing to like bad smell whole hotel

Nothing to like bad smell whole hotel

The decor and the room we had was big.

The elevator was too small,out dated, and creepy.

The decor and the room we had was big. It was very modern.

This was a business / leisure trip that was filled with comfort.

The night we made an attempt to visit the restaurant, the employee was a no show.

The beds were very comfortable!

thank you!!!

everything was great!! Breakfast was very hot and tasty

Overall was pleasant,very clean

Elevator is outdated,slow and scary to use .lots of noise in halls as I woke up in the morning.

Room was very comfortable! Staff is friendly!

• Executive King Room

Hallway carpet was dirty and smelled