Reviews of Humphreys Half Moon Inn 3 stars

2303 Shelter Island Drive, Point Loma, San Diego, CA 92106, USA

#27 of 226 hotels in San Diego

• Standard King Room

A noisy sleepless night. The hotel has an outdoor concert venue on the property which would be advantageous only if one has tickets to the event. When I booked, the calendar showed no concerts/events for that Tuesday and Wednesday and I was not informed that there was a private company event scheduled. While relaxing by the pool in the afternoon, I had to listen to the very loud and repetitive sound check. In the evening, the loud music would have been tolerable but the cheering, shouting and applauding for the speeches late into the night was too much. After the event, attendees stood around conversing loudly outside the rooms. The hotel should advise guests of events when booking.

Comfortable, pleasant room with a little patio in a mid-century-tiki style hotel with tropical landscape and a nice pool in a quiet part of town on a lovely marina. I looked forward to using the hotel bicycles but they were not at all well maintained.

• Standard King Room

Humphreys Half Moon Inn experience was wonderful, extremely clean beautiful grounds. Very relaxing and nice location. Staff was very friendly. We just stayed one night, as we were in town for a graduation. But would totally go back on a vacation.

• Standard King Room

didn't have access to my safe and the bedroom artowrk fell of the wall during the saty landing on my foot. When I looked at the artwork frame it was held together by tape. Staff didn't seem to concerned about this.

• Luxury Junior Suite

the bed was a little uncomfortable for my husband. The breakfast we had two mornings was a little bland and dry tasting. The room we had was nice but I would have liked it in a different location. We were in building A.

we enjoyed dinner at the restaurant on our last night

• Standard King Room

The price for a no view room was a bit steep 😬

The room was comfortable , with nice decor . Nice bathroom , and toiletries . Coffee bar Nicely stocked , with a mini fridge ! The grounds feel like you are in Hawaii!

Above.

I loved being by the pool..however they put me in a room where they were putting in carpet above me and hammering. It went on for an hour and i finally reported it to staff who were not pleasant. I had to pack up and move again to another room because of it. I was there for a rest from the construction noise here and could not believe they would not understand that! Otherwise the facilitirs and pool were wonderful as always. I just really noticed a big difference in customer service this time. I am not sure i will stay there again.

• Standard King Room

I Loved everything about this place! - The only thing was that it was a bit far from the beach, but nothing to crazy.

The whole vibe of the hotel was amazing. Including the staff, theme of the place, and views of the night city. This place is definitely a luxury in disguise. We are most certainly coming back. It was a great price for the amenities. I was in the Standard room and I was completely mind blown about how huge and beautiful this room was. It had wood blinds and closet sliding doors! - Huge I mean huge 9ft deep pool - Huge hot tub - Every room had a small patio area with a table and chairs - This place pays attention to details such as glass cups instead of plastic, extra blankets and pillows, and amazing lighting and mirrors in room! - Wonderful Staff - I recommend you stay at this place 10/10!

• Standard King Room

It was just okay but definitely overpriced. There were many additional costs that come standard when staying at an hotel that was extra here like parking and wifi. They make you pay $16 for parking and $10 for some mandatory passport which is the way of charging you extra for internet and some other things that we didn't necessarily want.

It was okay, the location was beautiful.

• Luxury Junior Suite

Everything is perfect. It locates on a tiny island and is close to Sea World. It has a wonderful seascapes and a amazing garden with swimming pool. It has enough parking space too. I enjoy the delicious foods of the restaurant too. Those foods make my trip perfect. As we all know it’s difficult to a Chinese to find a good breakfast when you are traveling in the USA. Employees are very nice too. They do very well. When I left, I leave tips to show my thanks. I hope one day I can order this both beautiful and economic inn. 有好吃的饭,有充足的停车位,离Sea World 很近,工作人员也非常nice.

• Standard King Room

Well. I did not realize when I made the reservation on booking.com that the room was right off the parking lot. It felt like a motel. It might be useful next time to just make sure I understand where the room is located. There were so many more appealing options such as a view of the marina, pool, garden, etc.

The room is spacious and clean. Nice bathroom. Large swimming pool and a good size hot tube. Also, the hotel is located only 15 min from downtown and yet has a vacation feel to it: water, seashore walk, the smell of the ocean.

• Luxury Junior Suite

The serviceguy at washingmachine was unfriendly as well the staff at the lobby when we checked in. Check out was ok!

Super nice hotel, spacious room, nice area and beautiful resort

• Premier Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

There is a bar at the pool, but it was closed. 😟

My sister was here from NewHampshire, we went to Mexico for a couple of days, then I wanted to show her some of San Diego. Humphrey’s could not have been a better choice! We got an early check in and took a walk around the “island”. She was impressed to be on the water, with all the sights of the beautiful city. We went poolside for a while and enjoyed the jacuzzi. We then walked to dinner and returned to the hotel where we listened to a great band at the Back Stage bar. The staff there was excellent and made us feel special. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Standard King Room

Every morning a couple times a day you hear the military planes take off and it shakes the entire harbor.. Scares most people who dont know whats going on

Quick room service! Went from a literal Hell to actual Paradise when I arrived, minus the anhedonia. Beautiful view of harbor

• Premier Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Great location, great experience overall. Beautiful hotel. The best bed I have slept in and the pillows were comfortable. Pool and hot tub a plus with the convenience of a bar in the pool area.

• Oversized Garden View Suite

I cannot say anything bad about our stay at Humphreys. Gorgeous inn with exceptionally clean, comfortable rooms and amazing location next to the marina. I’ve stayed on Shelter Island on Point Loma in the past and love the quietness of the area and less expensive than San Diego and Coronado Island. I would love to check out the outdoor concerts they offer there in the future. We will definitely be back.

• Standard King Room

Service-it did not feel like the staff cared a bit about us, even after we let them know we were checking the place out for a large renion. Dingy looking room, very loud air conditioner, paint peeling. We are probably not recommending the place to our group

Pretty view from rooms over the harbor

• Queen Room with Garden View

Live music around the rooms is terrible for guest who want to rest or sleep in their room. We could hear people talking at the pool and all the music. Room was not cleaned our first day.

Bed was comfortable and pool was nice. Grounds were beautiful. Staff was accommodating.

• Premier Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The parking fee does seem a bit high and the additional resort fee is annoying and should be built into the cost of the room. The hotel does have an outside concert venue attached. There was a concert last night and it was quite loud in our room, however the concert ended pretty early so it wasn't much of a problem.

What an amazing place! Totally exceeded our expectations. Lush, beautifully kept gardens. Breathtaking views of the harbour. A peaceful, large swimming pool area with super comfy loungers. Our room was well equipped, very clean and had its own little terrace. Would highly recommend and hope to return.

• Queen Room with Garden View

Hope they'll keep up the good work!

We like the feeling of going back "home" - the hotel has always been our second home for over ten years...

• Standard King Room

It sits off by itself which is fine but of course then a car is helpful.

The grounds are beautiful, the view is great, nice patios, nice pool and jacuzzi setting.

• Standard King Room

The room was not what was pictured on the Booking.com site or their website. Our room was on the ground level facing the parking lot. The door opened to the outside. It was dark. The only window was a sliding door that opened onto a small patio with a wall that was supposed to provide some privacy but blocked the light. For over $200. / night I felt like I was staying at a motel. There was a large bug in the tub. The front desk clerk didn't care that I thought the room was sub par. I told him you put us there because we went thru Booking.com and not you directly - but I would not have found the place without Booking.com... $477.78 for 2 nights

The staff in the restaurant were very friendly.

• King Room with Garden View

The room could use a little updating and a fresh coat of paint.

The location was excellent for us. The grounds were lovely. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We'll be back.

• Premier Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The rooms are built of typical timber construction and are not particularly soundproof. We could clearly hear people in the room beneath us speaking. The hotel charges $10 for the use of its gym, the bar and the print facility at reception. In reality the rooms are just $10 more expensive than is quoted.

The Hotel is located in a attractive location with easy access to the city centre, airport, and other visitor locations. It is probably best when the weather is good as the hotel is very spread out and it took five minutes to walk to the restaurant and the gym. The Staff were helpful. It is worth paying extra for one of the Harborview rooms as our room looked out over the car park and there would be no point in sitting on the balcony.

• Premier Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

You need to upgrade your computers in the business center. And you need to have a newspaper vending machine.

The grounds are lovely. The staff is friendly and efficient. The beds are very comfortable. The waitress, Lyn, is a delightful person!

• Standard King Room

Parking at hotel expensive but we used the free parking across the street.

Pool just the right temperature so I swam every day. Husband used the gym early morning.

• Luxury Junior Suite

No breakfast with the reservation, for the location and to enjoy you need to have a car for sure.

Very nice hotel, value of money, nice staff and good property overall. If I'm going to San Diego again for sure will go to same hotel.

• Standard King Room

The bathroom in the room itself was a little worn...some "wet" marks on the ceiling needed attention.

The view in the restaurant was great...the deals on mimosas were awesome!!

• Queen Room with Garden View

Beautiful setting and location Cannot fault this place at all. Previously came over from UK with family and perfect on that visit and this visit for business with a colleague

• Luxury Junior Suite

It was my daughter's bday and when Sofia from the front desk found that out when checking in, chocolate chip cookies and milk were set out for us when we came back from the pool. My daughter who was turning 7 was SO EXCITED!!!

• Standard King Room

They put us in an adjoining room. Could hear everything thru adjoining door. Was hassled for being too noisy by hotel. Was only having conversations with partner. Next room over complained. They were being louder than we were and fighting. Didn't appreciated the hotel being as rude as they were. Would have been a great experience despite that. Wont stay there again.

• Queen Room with Garden View

The room was filthy. After my son found a used condom, we inspected everything and were disgusted by what we found. The heat in the room did not work, the room had two very dim lamps and the property is extremely noisey.

I really enjoyed the location of the hotel and all the dining options nearby.

• Premier Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Due to the holiday there were communication errors between staff members as to when dinner was and when it was available on New Year’s Day. Nothing that would not allow me to not come back though.

• Queen Room with Garden View

Newly renovated room, clean and comfortable. Makeup area outside of bathroom to accomodate the four of us to get ready. Gorgeous pool, grounds and views.

• Standard King Room

Is has free bikes, but you have to stay on Shelter Island; so, aside from getting a little workout, there’s not much point in using them.

The property is immaculate. Friendly, helpful staff.

• Luxury Junior Suite

noise from the street and construction boats at 7.20 am , so sleep was very short long distances to walk as huge complex some far from the city centre , car needed

the view from my bedroom , skyline of the city free parking bed was comfortable , clean nice restaurants around with car distance

• Queen Room with Garden View

Rooms were sort of old. Housekeeping sometimes showed up and sort of cleaned. They seemed to run out of pool towels quickly and no one refilled them until the next morning. Never saw the pool bar open in the few days we were there.

The on-site restaurant is slightly upscale and had a good Thanksgiving buffet with very tasty food. The location is great, right on the bay. The pool and grounds were well maintained.

• Queen Room with Garden View

There was nothing about you facility we didn't like. Where do the parrots go at night.? WE loved them.

Staff members (all) were exceptional and restaurant help was particularly so. They made our morning start out just right. great coffee! Room help kept the outstanding room in tiptop shape. You can be proud of all your employees, because they made our time with you memorable. We will be back!!1

• Standard King Room

Every time we go to this hotel we end up in not a good view always at back or with a tree in front. Not good Last time for us. We go back to SD in 4 days but not staying here again went next door for food. The bay club great food served quick. Will try the hotel next time in SD.

Place in general is ok

• Standard King Room

Coffee should be made available in the lobby or at least bottled water should be provided in the room to be able to make a decent cup of coffee without having to use tap water. Instead I had to walk to the restaurant which was a ways in a seperate building quite a ways from my room to get coffee and was charged for it. Cleanliness was a bit of an issue. The microwave in our room was dirty/greasy inside and out.

I liked the shutters and the few attempts that were made to update the room. I also appreciated that there were more than enough pillows.

• Standard King Room

The landscaping here is beautiful. The grounds and room were immaculate. It was easy to get to and from the hotel and all the restaurants and sightseeing venues, too.

• Luxury Junior Suite

We were not aware that there would be a concert on right outside our room so our 2 yr old didn't have a great nights sleep... we told the staff at we got $100 off at check out. Housekeeping also left our room door open all day after cleaning! Thankfully nothing was taken.

Lovely room and lovely pool - beautiful hotel

• Standard King Room

Property looked tired. Was surprised at a $16 parking charge - excessive.

Nighttime flood lighting on the walls and trees was really good. Ditto for the pool area.

• Queen Room with Garden View

Pool bar closed on a very hot day. Pool towels not replenished.

Quiet and nice garden view from patio. Staf were very nice and helpful. Clean comfortable room.

• Standard King Room

The doors to each unit are very fast to close behind you and are very loud while closing (like a slam) during sleep hours.

Bed very comfortable / Food - room service was very good! Room very clean and view of Bay beautiful.

• Queen Room with Garden View

parking spots were small and limited.

Really enjoyed the hotel. The free beach cruisers you could check out for an hour was a nice touch. Comfortable bed and very quiet at night. They only thing I could hear was seals in the morning :)

• Luxury Junior Suite

Not very happy about being so close to the concert . Was not very happy. Didn’t get much sleep that night. Would’ve preferred to be on the other end of the property.

We like the comfort of Humphries. We happened to be booked on a night when they had a concert. Not very peaceful. Would’ve preferred to be on the other end of the property.

• Standard King Room

Parking fee was too expensive for an outside spot there is free parking around so maybe park in the free spots! Restaurant is too expensive????

Beds were comfy and the rooms are spacious. The bar is really good with entertainment most nights, great staff. Reception staff are friendly and professional. I love the location as it is away from the city.

• Standard King Room

Although the location on Shelter Island is very nice and quiet the Inn is unfortunately not close to the beach. If someone is looking for a beautiful sand beach we would recommend Mission Beach. It's about 15 minutes away by car.

The Inn was very nice. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the stay very much. Our room was close to the reception and faced to the parking area but however very quiet. The bed was comfortable and the room very beautiful. Especially the pool and the hot tub / jarcuzzi were awesome (incl. free pool towels + sun lounger). We would definitely recommend Humphreys Half Moon Inn to all who are looking for a quiet place with a beautiful view to Downtown San Diego on the one side and the marina on the other side.

• King Room with Garden View

There was a band aid left in our room. Not too happy about that.

Perfect place to stay. The nature and the view was worth everything. It was nice and relaxing. The pool was perfect. The drive to main atttactions wasn’t that bad. 15-20 minutes to Gaslamp district. Also 20 minutes away from balboa park.

• Premier Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

A suite is by far the best option for this property. A double queen is small and cramped. Once your in a suite it feels like a whole different property!

The parrots are cool! Pool is huge and heated. Big hot tub!

• Luxury Junior Suite

Our room faced the parking lot and next to the concert hall. Since we requested a crib for our toddler months in advance it would have been nice to have been in a room further away from the concerts

The overall amenities were great! Pool and pool bar were fantastic with plenty of lounge chairs and seating

• Premier Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The concert was super loud the room was not up to par the sheets felt like burlap, the people there where there to party and they did!!! I couldn’t sleep and the restaurant the hotel suggested was not good either.

I didn’t like anything about this property.

Everything was perfect.

Great location to the harbour / beach. We rode the bicycles which were available to use for the day. Welcome pack on arrival was a special touch.

• Standard King Room

The room had a terrible smell to it when we first check in and the carpet was old and look dirty. And our room location had to much foot traffic going by.

Room service was excellent and the massage was incredible.

• Standard King Room

If you plan to stay definitely check on their "concert" schedule, which sadly we did not and were quite surprised to discover a music group had been booked for a Monday night that started around 5 pm and didnt relent until 10pm- this particular music choice was not enjoyable.

• Standard King Room

There wasn't anything we didn't like!

This resort was absolutely amazing. Beautiful rooms and pool area was awesome! Location was quite easy to get around. Restaurants nearby.

:)no shower cap

Can not say enough how friendly and gracious all the staff we dealt with were! Room was excellent and great concert venue as well!!! Friendly outdoor pool bar area!

• Premier Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Room was awesome. Truly. Atmosphere of hotel property was beautiful. I wanted in the room way early. They had a suite available and the upgrade cost was more than fair and I could get in at 10 am as opposed to regular check in of 4 pm. Suite was over 1050 square feet, two Patios, view of harbor, kitchen etc. Etc. Etc. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Luxury Junior Suite

This is a lovely hotel in a great location. The staff were lovely, they upgraded our room and we had a beautiful balcony overlooking the marina. The pool area is lovely too. Rooms could probably do with updating but we had a huge suite and it had everything we needed. I would definitely stay here again... loved it!

• Premier Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The hotel had a loud band that played that we did not have warning of prior to our stay. This was fine for us and we enjoyed it but for other families it may have been a little worse.

The staff went above and beyond to make our stay very enjoyable. They were all lovely and welcoming.

• Standard King Room

Breakfast wasn't nearly as good as lunch and dinner. My friend had the eggs Benedict and said they were terrible. My scrambled eggs were cold and a bit overdone.

The hotel was lovely. The room was comfortable and spacious. Great lighting in the bathroom, which is important to me as a woman for putting on my makeup and doing my hair. Loved the pool area and the pool bar. Very friendly and helpful staff. Restaurant was beautiful, wait staff incredible and wonderful view of the harbor. Lunch and dinner delicious. Michelle and Sara were great. I would definitely recommend Humphreys to my friends.

• Standard King Room

What's with charging so much for parking??

We enjoyed our stay... From the pool and the swim-up bar to the delicious breakfast at the restaurant, the staff is excellent, the complementary bikes are so fun to ride around Shelter Island and the Lounge had the best band!

• Standard King Room

Our room decor was a bit outdated, dark woods etc, so a bit gloomy. The bath surface was torn, just where we stood for a shower. Also, the sink was cracked. I expected better for this sort of price.

The bed was very comfy and aircon very welcome. Room was spacious and lovely outlook across the bay between the palm trees. Parking good, although the spaces were a little short for modern saloons. Pool area was beautiful and a lovely facility.

• Luxury Junior Suite

1- Stayed from Thursday till Sunday. On Friday I was in and out of the room therefore put the sign of don't disturb...each time for 10 minutes the most. By 6:30pm my room was still not cleaned. Went to the reception explained the situation and was told that there are certain hours the cleaning people come. Looks no one keeps track what rooms were cleaned and which were not. 2- Apparently there was a wedding scheduled for Saturday. I wish the hotel would have bothered the notify the guests since the noise was at times unbearable. Like the wedding reception was in my room. If the hotel would have bothered to notify there will be a wedding I would not have booked a room there.

The pool was great

• Standard King Room

If there are nosy people outside, it could be annoying. If you can avoid it, dont stay on the pool side unless you want to spend all your time at the pool or if the noise doesn't bother you.

This is a beautiful location and facility. Its almost like being in a Pacific Island resort.

• Standard King Room

Maid service was slow. My room didn't get cleaned until 4 pm.

They were replacing all the mattresses with new ones while we were there. Wonderful grounds, great value for the money.

• Standard King Room

Bad smell in room. Run down. Charged $16 per night for parking not telling that the huge parking lot across street is free. Pool is noisy and crowded. Lights in room did not work.

• Standard King Room

Although I know it is the trend, disliked paying to park.

Liked: location - entertainment at bar - maintenance responded quickly and repaired leaking ceiling,cleanliness - concert venue

• Standard King Room

We stayed in a double queen room and it was so small. It was just me and my husband and we would have preferred one bed and a bit more room to move around the room The bathrooms were upgraded, but poorly. Faucet barely cleared the rim of sink.. it made it hard to just wash your hands. There were no towel holders by sink to hang your hand towel or any place in the shower to place toiletries or hang wash cloth. We had to put our soaps, razors, etc on the floor.

We love Humphreys and have stayed their multiple times. We love the pool, beautifully kept grounds and the location. We also had a wonderful dinner in their restaurant.

• Premier Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

One of The building we were is behind the restaurant and what we see, listen and smell was the Restaurant]s backyard, even with balcony doors completely shut. We had to buy "passport" for the complex with discount for the restaurant....but restaurant didn't work second morning. So we smelt it, listen it, paid for it....and couldn't use it.

Nice location, and very cozy complex......40 years ago

• Standard King Room

They staff really made us feel welcome and like family. We enjoyed our trip so much that we would like to return again very soon. The accommodations and coupons for the restaurant really helped us enjoy our stay even more. It was a beautiful experience. We will DEFINETLY be returning! The live music at the restaurant was open and warm and welcoming. LGBT friendly as well. :)

• Standard King Room

Everything was great, nothing not to like!

I was immediately upgraded to a suite upon check in which was an absolutely incredible room with a great view of the bay. The room was huge with a kitchen, dining area, living room and a separate bedroom with 2 queen beds. It was almost too big for just one person, and felt guilty about being in there alone...., but I got over it! :o)

• Standard King Room

It was difficult to get food after 9pm - for us it would have been great if kitchen stayed open bit later.

Breakfast was excellent - get Jackie to do your Mimosas! :)

• Standard King Room

I really liked the setup of the hotel. I almost felt as if I was in an apartment. It was very cozy. Perfect getaway location. The bed was really comfy too! All in all it was a good first experience. I'll definitely be back to enjoy this property!

• Premier Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Refrigerator freezer 3 inches of ice. Not working correctly. Safety door lock not functional. Carpet deeply spotted in hall leading to bathroom also overall room carpet needed cleaning.

Desk Staff