Reviews of Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection 4 stars

220 Main Street, Downtown Houston, Houston, TX 77002, USA

#68 of 407 hotels in Houston

9.7

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Well located hotel convenient for good local bars and...

$33.00 parking a shade steep

Well located hotel convenient for good local bars and restaurants. Converted bank building gives the place quirky character. Nicely made cocktails at the hotel bar and ‘happy hour’ gives 50% off

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

I am from California and I compare this to staying in a historical San Francisco Hotel.

The location was perfect as we had tickets to The Alley Theater. The availability of a shuttle for late night was wonderful. I very much enjoy the historical value of the place.

No matter where your from, this ICON will make you feel luxuriously welcome.
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

Parking was $30 for the night, which was a little expensive, and it was a little hard to find the actual entrance. Voss water was $5 and $7 depending on the size, which was probably the most absurd part of the whole stay. Beware of the breakfast, too, if you didn't purchase a voucher ahead of time. For two people, we received a bill for $42, but luckily had our pre-paid vouchers given to us at check-in to redeem. We were still a little put-off that a 6/10 star continental breakfast was $21 a person.

Great breakfast, clean and comfortable rooms, outstanding bathroom and tub! We ran into a staff member while on our way to find the ice machine, and she took it for us and brought it back to our room. The valet workers were so nice and helpful. The kindness and generosity of the staff was comforting for my I-drive-a-2011-Chevy-Cruz-please-don't-judge-my-income-bracket-status anxiety.

Great place for a stop over and also for attending Business or an event in Houston

Very good breakfast - options of cooked and continental - perfect omelette made for you on the spot. Rooms are good and spacious - we had a lovely bathroom and it was very clean and comfortable. Location is great too - good spot for a business traveller or someone coming for leisure. Iced tea and pretzels and fruit available in the lobby for refreshments as well. Friendly helpful staff. Great local Taco place also for a quick meal on the street directly behind this Hotel. Would Stay again.

I won't be staying at this hotel ever again.
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

I didn't like the you could still see dirt in the corners of the bathroom. I didn't like it was a limit room service menu. I didn't like the $33 for parking overnight per night. I didnt like that i went down for breakfast and it was a roach on the toaster.. i brought it to a staff attention and let the roach drop inside the toaster and cooked it. Utterly disgusting.

Nice workout room.

It was fantastic, we do recommend this hotel!!

Housekeeping failed to clean our room on the second day despite us being out all day. The next day the housekeeper woke us at 8am to tell us she would be cleaning our room that day after we departed!! Why do you need to tell guests you will be cleaning after they check out???

Great hotel, fantastic atmosphere, lovely room, all facilities were excellent. Friendly and helpful staff at reception, car park, bar & restaurant.

Disappointing so much we checked out earl and ate the cost.
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

When we arrived the 2 valets did not offer to help with the luggage. I asked for a luggage cart and they said “I guess we can call for one”. I dragged my own bag in the entry and past about 5 unused luggage carts. The beds were slanted towards your head - we checked out a night early because it was so uncomfortable. Sat down at the bar with my wife, asked bartender for a menu and he ignored us and just placed one at the enpty seat next to us. Bartender walked away for 15 minutes without taking our order then took a 10 minute call as soon as he returned. We left after half an hour of no service.

Decor and location but that is about it.

a must stay

very nice atmosphere. valet was prompt. front desk on average didn't have great personality but took care of business.

it's perfectly located downtown

The bed was amazing.
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

The staff treated us like we shouldn't be there. Not every staff member but some.

The bed was amazing. The shower was very nice and the view was great

Comfortable, convenient, and the perfect location for all the downtown destinations.
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

Things out of yalls control. The other side of the street wasn’t the greatest. But the ICON facility was 10s across the board.

Loved the room service and the steak and salmon were the best I have ever eaten. The bar area was nice and the service was excellent.

Excellent night staff, including the security guard, as we...
    • Queen Room

Room was a bit smaller than expected, as seen in the photos on the website, but still very cozy and clean.

Excellent night staff, including the security guard, as we arrived late and would come in late in the evenings. Cannot say enough good things about them, as they were very accommodating, helping us with every need. Clean, nice, great location. Definitely will return.

Fab- close to Art/Jones Hall!
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

nothing- other than should have come sooner to this hotel!

Fabulous hotel, everyone so attentive, beautiful architecture. We came in for Chris Botti event at Jones Hall, and it was very close, a 5 minute shuttle away. Took us and picked us up. Also a great Tapas bar and late night bar just across the street to top the night off nicely! Room was fab in every way!

The hotel had a lot of character and was true to the early 1900's era. Staff was pleasant.
    • Queen Room

There was a terrible smell of mold and mildew in our big beautiful room with an amazing view on the 11th floor. So bad that I could not stay in the room. We called and they moved us into a smaller and much less desirable room down on the 4th floor with a terrible view of air conditioning vents. It smelled fine but the room didn't have a good feel to it. I was disappointed, and because of this, will not stay here again. Parking was very expensive $33 per night. They said we could park ourselves for $19 but the valet people didn't give us a chance.

The bed and linens were very comfortable and the decor was nice. Bathroom was huge and beautiful.

Very disappointing for the cost.

Get a room 7th floor and above! Noisy position with metro tramway outside, lighting in bedroom poor, cleanliness in room questionable. Housekeeping service arrived at 5 pm each day. Disappointing breakfast/ brunch. No atmosphere in combined bar,restaurant and reception. Outside noise from local bars. Had to keep asking for more coffee for room. Asked for quiet room from bookings .com but not done.

The beds were comfortable, bright bathroom. Offered a room move after noise complaints.

I hope the Hotel Icon gets back to the expectations we all had from years past.
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

The things I didn’t like about the Hotel Icon. This used to be my wife's favorite place to stay, but lately instead of being an experience like it used to be, it has turned into just a place to sleep a night or two over. You are just there to take up occupancy. Before my stay this time, I wanted a romantic setup for my wife's birthday, well when we arrived nothing was set up, so I went downstairs and asked, and they said they had no notes for this happening, I asked "is it possible to send something up at all? They said "yes, they'll send something up soon." Nothing ever came. This morning I went down to ask what happened and the guy at the front desk said they sent champagne and truffles up." This never happened. So I told my wife about it and we spoke to the supervisor at the front desk and she had a look like she could care less, and would leave a note for the manager, and they will get back to us today. Still no call btw. The hotel was clean, and very nice. I tried leaving as low of a review because of the complete blunder the front desk set up. I wouldn’t set up anything important up with this hotel. Don’t expect to surprise someone you love with an experience here. You’ll be disappointed. Hopefully that was just us actually, and others weren’t dissatisfied. We won't be going back. I worked there in the mid 2000's and the most important part of the hotel was making sure the customers were taken care of and they are the most important part of the experience. To feel like they are getting a life of luxury they should expect from a Hotel like this. I hope this improves in the future or I don't see business lasting long going into the future. I'm pretty easy going and never Yelp, but I'd recommend staying somewhere else. My mother in law suggested asking for a redo, but I don't think we'd want to even go back.

The thing I liked about the Hotel Icon was the Bar Tender, very personable and the breakfast waiter, he did his best despite having to work in-room dining due to someone missing their shift. It goes down hill from there thanks to the front desk and hospitalities.

Hotel is gorgeous!

I rote in the book it.com message that was to be passed along to Icon that we celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary there, many in between, & that night we were celebrating our 21st! Some acknowledgement to make the night a little more special would have been nice. Whether just wishing us a happy anniversary or a small gesture left in the room. This was disappointing. Also, do not include breakfast with your stay. Horribly overpriced for the few dried out buffet choices.

Hotel is gorgeous! Great location! Shuttle provided!

Location with whirlpool
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

The whirlpool only fit 1 person and we wanted a couple whirlpool. The bed was uncomfortable because I was able to feel the springs on my back.. ☹️

Location with whirlpool

Wonderful place to stay in. Big comfortable rooms.

The bed was comfortable, toilet was huge and spacious rooms. The coffee machine in the room was much appreciated. Enjoyed this hotel very much.

Very convenient location near good restaurants. Would prefer prior notice of additional deposit.

I do not appreciate that the hotel added $100 per night onto my bill "for incidentals" which I had no intention of using. They billed my Amex account and had use of that $300 without prior notification. I just got home tonight and do not know when the $300 will be refunded to my Amex account.

The building is very attractive. The bathroom was spacious and beautiful. We were on the 7th floor and despite a festival that weekend the room was nice and quiet.

The ability to be able to walk across the street to a out...

Not having hot water to shower with before going out that night

The ability to be able to walk across the street to a out standing bar and grill and be able to drink without leaving hotel

I spoke highly of this hotel to friends and family.

The phone was difficult to work to call for room service.

Beautiful Lobby. Elegant spacious room and bathroom. good security with room keys. Staff was very polite, even to my teenagers.

Wouldn't recommend

It's a tired hotel, the room was dated and there was lots of construction going on to the main foyer so breakfast was in an awful conference room on the 2nd floor.

Good location.

I have all the nice things to say about this property.

They were under renovation and it was not mentioned when I did the booking, which is wrong. But the reception staff was happy to offer me a free upgrade.

I have all the nice things to say about this property. Nice and clean rooms, friendly staff and excellent location.

Friendly Staff who are eager to meet your needs and...

The hotel is on the opposite corner of a few nightclubs/bars and also next to Light Rail transit. It is loud during night hours.

Friendly Staff who are eager to meet your needs and accommodation requests.

I will stay here again
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

The noise from outside and when I ordered room service they didn't know how to make a spicy jalapeno margarita so I called the drink

The room,the food, the hotel

What out with your credit cards!!!!
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

Staff was very rude, had pretentious attitudes, and tried to charge my card twice because she said there was a hold on it (because she charged me twice!!) And tried to get me to offer another card!!!!! Be careful with the staff and check all your receipts!!!

Beautiful whiroool, bed and shower.

Very clean and well decorated.
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

Valet only for parking. Great service, but pretty expensive.

Very clean and well decorated. Great older building that has great architecture and appeal.

Wonderful, beautiful hotel and staff.

On Friday night we were helping a little girl who was in Houston with a group on a mission trip. They were on bicycles. She passed out in front of us just outside of the hotel. My attempt to get ice water for her from the bartender was more difficult than necessary. My perception was she questioned whether I was a guest, and I seemed like a bother to her, so I discreetly showed her my room card. I will say that when I said 'emergency' she helped me. Still, it was a bit frustrating, given the level of heat and humidity outside.

Our room was very comfortable, clean and spacious. A special circumstance required up to retrieve our vehicle quickly Friday night. The concierge moved quickly to help us. I am very grateful!!! Thank you so much!!

Will Not Be Back

The hotel staff was less than friendly. Furnishings in room were worn, and the bed was not very comfortable. The bathroom required maintenance.

Upon arrival, the atmosphere of the hotel lobby is quite nice. The bar and restaurant areas were tastefully decorated and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

This is an ideal place to stay in downtown Houston.
    • Queen Room

This is a very minor quibble, but I would like to have had the Houston Chronicle available.

The bed and the shower were fantastic, as were the service in the restaurant and bar.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

Apart from waiting a long time for our room, we loved the atmosphere of the hotel

Attitude of the front desk. We had been traveling for 20 hours and our room wasn't ready. Front desk left us sitting there and we asked several times for our room. Was finally sorted out by someone else. I felt they didnt try very hard to look after us - culdn't have cared less.

The atmosphere of the hotel. Drinks in the foyer. Spacious room

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Luxury in the heart of Houston.
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

Converted from a former bank retaining many of the original bank features, like the huge safe behind reception, certainly a talking point. Former Banking Hall is the bar/restaurant, opulent decoration especially the cowhide bar stools!

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Beautiful hotel
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

Night staff was unfortunately not helpful. My husband and I were trying to find a place that was open to eat after room service stopped (which is quite early might I add) and desk staff was short and unhelpful. When I went up to a valet to ask where the pizza restaurant was, he looked right through me and ignored me. Yes, very true unfortunately and I even asked twice in case he just didn't hear me. I'm not a sensitive person to these types of things, but that was quite shocking. I will not hold these staff members against the hotel, but hope this area is improved on for future visits.

Location was prime - my husband and I could walk everywhere. Day time staff was excellent! I was even able to grab breakfast to go when I arrived a little later than serving time. Bath tub and bathroom was gorgeous! Will definitely come back again.

Nice getaway hotel but due to other hotel guest horrible experience
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

Being told I would be refunded for a night but ended up being charged the full amount and a additional $99 which is a pending transaction on my credit card.

Loved the location and appearance, but not being woken up a 3 am due to a room a few floors higher flooding floors 5-11.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

A Pretty Great Stay
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

The bed was far too stiff, the parking overnight was expensive and not included, the breakfast was also not included.

I really liked the spot, the bathroom, and the view.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Grear time
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

The tub really isn't big enough for two people.

Ordered chocolate covered strawberries for a romantic evening and even though it was 1 in the morning they brought them up.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Great choice with friendly staff and charm
    • Queen Room

Having to pay so much for parking.

Staff was very accommodating and friendly. I liked the workout facility. The hotel has charm because it is older and not your cookie cutter hotel.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Jacuzzi bath was wonderful.
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

We asked for a CD player to play music but there wasn't one. It would have been nice if there were. Otherwise, great stay and no complaints.

Jacuzzi bath was wonderful.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Had to pay $33 for parking for one night!

Really appreciated the location, close to venue for a concert. My sister is an architecture buff and loved the appearance of the hotel. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Love
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

The elevators were small and didn't always take us to the floor we wanted.

Loved the layout of the room, perfect amount of space. Great location, we walked to go do things nightly. Excellent staff!

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

They have a great fitness center.
    • Queen Room

Only valet parking and cost is expensive.

They have a great fitness center. Was there at Christmas and the staff was very friendly in spite of having to work the holiday.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

This hotel in downtown Houston is a gem

Nothing. It was perfect.

This hotel is a gem. The lobby and room were beautiful. The lobby was alive yet did not seem loud. The staff was warm, friendly and professional. It had a great location; we could walk everywhere. The flatbread in the lobby restaurant was to die for. We will stay here whenever we are in Houston.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Loved it!
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

I loved everything about this hotel. The bathroom was very nice, I loved the window opening from the bathroom to the rest of the room. We loved our stay, we are definently coming back

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Unexpected stupid fees made my room cost double!!!
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

Guests in the hotel have to pay to park overnight. There's no where else to leave your car so you pay an ADDITIONAL $40 on top of your room. I rented my room work $169/night. I stayed one night. With the unexpected parking cost, taxes and other little things they charge you for I paid $267 just for one night. Almost doubled the cost of the room in extra fees. They really get you on the parking and other stupid fees. If you want to get tricked, stay here. Nice place but no where near $267 night. I don't recommended to anyone strictly on the basis that they're not upfront and sneak in charges.

The hotel was very unique and comfortable. Very comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Unique and beautiful hotel
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

Parking was too expensive. The hose attachment on the jacuzzi went on and off of its own accord. An indoor pool would have been awesome.

Gorgeous idiosyncratic luxurious style. I felt like Zelda Fitzgerald. The Staff was pleasant and helpful; I couldn't find my phone charger and was immediately handed one to use for my stay no questions asked.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

The historic decor & details of the bank lobby, room,...
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

The whole place was a bit creepy and empty. I still can't get the moldy musky old smell out of my system. The valet left a hug wet ink mark from the ticket that stained on my beige leather arm rest in my car. Fire testing going on during the am. Housekeeping knocks on your door at 8:30am even if you have the do not disturb sign on the door.

The historic decor & details of the bank lobby, room, are wonderful. Proximity to bars.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Proximity to downtown attractions / restaurants, etc is...
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

Housekeeping was lacking; residual hairball in shower corner remained unmoved after day one of cleaning (only discovered on day two of stay and clearly not my hair!!!...) and trash was not emptied throughout stay. Staff appeared completely disinterested in ensuring comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. Could have been the press of check-outs, etc,, but felt as though it was a meat grinder process of "get 'em thru" as soon as possible. While I would expect that at a lesser property, this was advertised as a Houston specialty with four stars... it did not rate that in my experience. My request for a high floor, made on Booking.com, was ignored entirely and not even addressed at check-in. Fourth floor room just adjacent to the road and construction works in the area was the reality; excellent industrial sounds alarm clock at 0500! Bah! Save yourself the hassle and check out the Magnolia - it's what the Icon reports to be, but is not.

Proximity to downtown attractions / restaurants, etc is excellent.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Not what I expected

The service, there is no one to help with theliggage and during breakfast, terrible The towels are really small and hard, they felt really old

The decor but its a little to dark

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

It was so beautiful and respectful of its history.

Not a single complaint

It was so beautiful and respectful of its history. Amazing staff

You can bank on a lovely stay

everything was great!

Spacious room. Large lovely bathroom with big stone décor shower. Loved the evening specialty popcorn snacks!

Great first night of a roadtrip

Superb hotel, completely refurbished. Friendly staff and spacious rooms! Great location as well. Superbeds

Hotel.and staff were exceptional. Looking forward to the next stay.
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

Perfect place to get away from it all.

Valet a bit too expensive.

Dining

Valet

Nothing to speak of.

Lacking anything memorable.

Room size is adequate. Staff was professional.

Excellent location

Excellent location

Amazing

Staff was wonderful

Great location, friendly service , clean and tidy

WiFi poor. Slight musty smell in passageways .

Service, friendliness, breakfast, spa

$14 breakfast

$14 breakfast

It was classic and unique.

NA

The shower

The architecture
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

The tub had a film after running the jets

The architecture

Location was great but the pillows were non existent(no support) and breakfast was cold three mo
    • Queen Room

Pillows and breakfast were below average.

Best 200 for a very nice room, big bed and very comfortable.

This year's Xmas decorations were very slim, not just at the hotel but at the green also.

We have stayed twice. Just love the building.

Perfect!
    • Queen Room

Very Nice place will come again.

Amazing. Every year is the same nice experience. Lovely place. See you in 2018.
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

Big rooms, awesome bathroom.

Room did not match the photographs and also smelt moldy.

Room did not match the photographs and also smelt moldy. Drinking water in the room was severely limited.

Enjoyable day, fair price and comfy bed made nice stay.
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

Cockroach in bathroom on floor the morning we woke up.

Bathtub size shower size.

The atmosphere of the Hotel.
    • Queen Room

Location did not suit us in the end. Not much happening in the city center for tourists

The atmosphere of the Hotel.

Room was not ready upon 3:00 check in , we Had to wait 30...
    • Junior Suite - City View

Room was not ready upon 3:00 check in , we Had to wait 30 min for one of our suites.

Don’t go!

iPad disappeared from our room and personnel was shockingly retarded when it came to handle it

Not so happy this time
    • King Room with Whirlpool - City View

The guest check in, I could not sleep, out side my window there was loud noise until 4 am

Area

Clean and safe. Loved it.

Elevators

Bed was magic. Pillows best ever. Incredible linen. Great restaurants right there!

The rooms + the style

The price

The rooms + the style

Got flu called 2 days before trip and would not let me out...

Got flu called 2 days before trip and would not let me out of room...on World Series night! Won't ever do business with them.

Mr Rossler