Reviews of JW Marriott Essex House New York 5 stars

160 Central Park South, New York, NY 10019, USA

#321 of 415 hotels in New York

• King Room with Central Park View

Hidden "tax" of $25 per day. This should be incorporated into the room rate. You can offset this by using at least $25 per day in the bar or room service. Good to know this before checking in.

Staff were very helpful and attentive to your needs.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We requested a change of room after the 1st night as it was located close to heating system or air conditioning unit and we couldn’t sleep . We got a room on the 18th floor which was a little smaller but had a partial park view

• King Room with Central Park View

The only real downside was the amount of drawer space turned over to stuff they sell (snacks and a minibar fridge that was only good for their stuff). I would rather have had it for clothing.

It's a high-end hotel on Central Park, with a park view. As such, I expected pretty much perfection, and, frankly, I got it.

• One-Bedroom King Suite with Sofa Bed-Central Park View

Booking.com's reservation didn't appear in the hotel's system when we arrived so we had to wait awhile for the hotel to find the reservation.

Wonderful View of Central Park!

Staff said the breakfast was not very impressive and recommended us going elsewhere. We appreciated the honesty of course but it's a little weird that they don't do anything about it... Otherwise nothing to complain about.

Very good location for exploring New York, Midtown primarilly. The hotel as such was nothing special but very fit for purpose of staying somewhere central for a reasonable price and with good comfort.

The noise of the airco system from the building next to the hotel.

Staf in restaurant en cleaning personal very friendly. Great rooms superbe locaties at the Central Park.

• King Room with Central Park View

Have been staying at the Essex House for the last 20 years . On this occasion the bath and shower in my room were not working, it took an inordinate amount of time to find out whether it was repairable ( a whole day) which it was not and then to find an appropriate room of the same standard. So in general the staff are friendly and try hard but not impressed by the front desk Manager Julian who was not particularly efficient in finding a replacement room. My Starwood card was not accepted , apparently I need to make a request for a Marriott card, which I will not do since I will never stay in a Marriott hotel again.

The location and the first room 3906 were great. Overall the staff is pretty friendly and service oriented. Juliette the F&B manager at breakfast was nice enough to waive the extra charge for 2 fried eggs and bacon which is apparently not included in the breakfast rate!!! I do not like congealed scrambled eggs that has been sitting around on a hot plate for several hours.

• Manhattan Family Suite with City View

Family suite had a sofa bed we had to pull out every night, plus we required an extra bed which was not in the room when we arrived. Coat hooks in the room would be ideal as there was no where to leave them. The restaurant reserved tables on New Year’s Eve for evening guests from mid afternoon meaning we had to sit at the bar to eat. All they needed to do was give a deadline by which time we had to vacate the table.

Hotel was clean, comfortable and in a perfect location.

Upon our arrival we had to move two times of room since the first one was already occupied. The second room had a generator next door, our final room was nice but at rate of 800 dollars a night we expected more. They didn’t offer anything in return for the inconveniences.

It’s a beautiful hotel, good location, comfy bed,...

Real intention was to stay in comfortable rooms (as it was shown and assured through Booking.com) during holidays, in New York, ... but we were provided with rooms looking to nowhere (brick wall with big Heating pipe making unbelievable noise, during the whole day!!!). We could feel all the cold from outside through the unfixed windows. Having payed more than $7000 , hotel management charged $75 for extra bed per day (unbelievable!!! We were looking for rooms for 4 adults + 2 children, and hotel provided rooms with one bed for 3 people:(((( Never ever!!!

• One-Bedroom Family Suite

Waited > 1hour on arrival to get into room (This was after check in time) & reception not helpful or quick !!

Location excellent & concierge great !

Everything was perfect.

We stayed at the Essex House the first time in 1964. The atmosphere and quality of the hotel and the staff is very professional. It's as quality as any place we have stayed anywhere in the world. Thanks for making our trip the comfort and joy we were hoping for, the week before Christmas.

• One-Bedroom Family Suite

Our heat in the main room didn’t work. Called to have fixed no one ever came. Paid over $1100 a nite and another $75 for roll away bed my sons all slept in there sweat shirts and hats on heads.

Being managed and run by inexperienced staff. The lobby (and lobby bar) was freezing; could not sit there and enjoy drinks. Drinks were 5 X too expensive and staff was rude. I don’t just mean NYC rude...I mean not at all accommodating. They’re in the hotel business for goodness sakes. Terrible.

Great location, beautiful old property The concierge and the check in desk were the bright spots.

• King Room with Central Park View

Extraordinarily small room at extraordinarily high price. One small window to view the park, very limited wardrobe and shelf space. For the 1st time in 35 years of travelling I checked out 2 days early and went to another hotel. I gave the money I saved to charity. I would not recommend staying here.

Nice public spaces, good location. Clean, well-decorated.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The service was excellent! We arrived early and were able to get early check in. Every request we had was quickly taken care of. Excellent location. We stay here every time when we come to NYC.

Hotel was expensive but again very nice

Excellent hotel room accommodation and service. Booking.com was user friendly and no payment required until you arrive which is comforting for security purposes. Also Great window for cancellation if needed. Great service and trip

• King Room with Central Park View

I thought the breakfast in the hotel restaurant was very overpriced for what you got - may be this is Manhatten prices, but other smaller restaurants were offering a much better value for money deal.

The hotel was ideally situated for many attractions and subway use.

Noisy!!!! I had stayed in this hotel a few times and I liked it, but this time around there was construction going on on the floor above us and we were woken up during three straight mornings with lots of hammering and drilling what not only made it challenging to sleep, but also to stay in the room reading, watching TV or working! In these conditions these rooms should have not been offered to customers, or at least they should have carried a significant discount!!!

Every week day evening a garbage truck appeared under our window and would grind trash until 10 to 10:30. We feel tricked into spending so much money on a luxury hotel. Also the staff didn't give a rip.

Marble in bathroom

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

At first I'd got a not-rennovated room, it was too noisy to sleep, becasue of the airconditioner. Next day, I asked them to change the room and they gave me a better one. But the very next day, they asked me to move to the former not-rennovated room because I added one more night booking by Booking.com. Even though I had added one more night before I arrived this hotel. The room I booked were all same rate, all same size of room. They kept asking me to move and finally I moved to the other room. At that time I, one of Asian, felt kind of racism.

The Worst hotel, I need to change the room twice during 4nights of stay and the staff were all terrible. They were very unkind and not considerate. The rooms were all old and too noisy to sleep at all.

• Junior Suite Connector to Double Double

Too noizy, work in the nearby, on the front side and on the backside Room not well cleaned Strong smell of chemical for cleaning carpets, can't open windows, smell give headech for all the night. No kettler in room. No cofe machine in room (damn it's a 5 stars !! And cost hundreds time the price of a cofe) Small closet

Friendly staff, warm welcom Beautiful lobby Good situation

Noise from air fan put below at ground floor. Also in one night of our stay in the room 1025 we got a terrible smell of paint coming out from the ventilation and we have to wait till the morning with this incredible smell due to probably to a maintenance activity not professionally made. This has been the only inconvenience we faced during our stay. Another point I found not really good are the price in the bar that are very very high.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Small room with very bad view (looking at the brick wall of the adjacent building). Hairdryer did not work, and on the last day we could not take a shower because of the dirty water in the bathroom. Also, the elevator door almost caught the hand of my son as he was walking in. Having an elevator door without the sensor is a safety hazard. For a 5 star hotel this is unacceptable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We got a room with a view of another building. I guess that's NYC when you don't fork over an arm and a leg in addition to the ridiculous hotel rates.

Excellent location, the staff was very friendly and willing to help with any question we had.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• King Room with Central Park View

Lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the room, extra charges for tea/coffee making facilities, plug not working in the bath, clarity of information from staff.

The location, view from the room, and the room itself.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• One-Bedroom King Suite with Sofa Bed-Central Park View

Plastic glasses !! Wifi had a charge. Breakfast was expensive.

The location is outstanding. Our suite had a lovely view looking onto Central Park. Staff were all charming. Bed was amazingly comfortable.

I have booked the park view room and payed extra for this room type. They gave me a room on the 6th floor which "technically" had a park view, however it was below trees. So it was not the view a tourist expects and pays for when comes to New York. So extra surcharge was just a waste of money for me and a huge disappointment because I could not see the skyline of New York I was expecting and specially paid for. I consider this a type of fraud.

• Queen Room with Central Park View

Only thing I didn't like was that there was no possibility for take-out from the restaurant/bar. Not even a coffee, which meant I took either room service (with a wait) or go out to a market.

The location is unbeatable, right on the park, short walk to 5th Ave or to Columbus Circle, or the Upper West Side. View from my room was inspiring. The staff are all friendly, helpful people and the visible security in the lobby is a plus. The bar/restaurant has a good upmarket but informal feel to it; very open and spacious feeling. Doormen were also very polite and helpful with directions. Concierge also gave valuable assistance.

• Queen Room with Central Park View

We noticed that we only had one bath towel at 10:15PM and called for another. 20 minutes latter we called again and were told that it would be right up. It never came. When checking out the next morning, I told the clerk about the towel and his reply was that they now only provide one bath towel per room which I found to be absolutely ridiculous and still do. There was also only one pair of J. W. Marriot slippers in the room as well.

Location. The room was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

• Manhattan Family Suite with City View

Minor issues, but no basic coffee/tea prep facilities in the room. Well stocked mini bar but no price list, which meant I was not inclined to use it.

Location. The suite size was very good. Really easy to recommend to other travellers with children.

Four things: first, we found strange (not ours) underwear under the table by the bed. Next, the wallpaper was peeling off the walls. Third, after receiving an email confirming check out time was 12 noon, was browbeaten into (almost) accepting an 11am check out time. It was only after I informed the front desk that I had an email in my hand -- from them -- that told me that check out time was 12 noon, that they very begrudgingly agreed to a noon check out -- very begrudgingly (read: not nice on the phone). Fourth, Concierge told us he'd call at 5Pm to check on how crowded a restaurant we wanted to visit was, but never called. (There's actually a fifth thing: the Concierge told us not to pay too much attention to TripAdvisor.) Really? Spent $1,700 for two nights. If this hotel wasn't on Central Park it would be a Motel 6. They really need to step up their game and not treat their guests so disrespectfully. Obviously will never return. Ps: they've had scaffolding in front of the main entrance forever.

Not much.

• Manhattan Family Suite with City View

Needs to be updated. Our family of 5 paid $1100 a night to stay in a suite and it looked like something from the 80's...and not in a retro cool 8's way.

Loved the location! That could not have been better! Staff was super friendly and helpful!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff was very friendly and helpful, room was awesome. Especially loved the very large bathroom! Location is great, NY weather didn't allow for much going out though.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

bathroom have damaged in the bathtub that need to repair. Shower curtain have mildew smell. it does not look clean overall

First, we checked into the room. Room wasn't clean someone already used bathroom. I did complain to front desk ask to other room they told us they have no another room. So we have to leave come back afternoon. When I made the reservation breakfast is included.but was not included. I am not going back there again.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Queen Room

Easier to say what was pleasant. Cold, dirty, in a bathroom someone's hair, enamel of a bathtub was beaten off. Everywhere lay an age-old layer of dust (it lay even on foregrounds) the carpet was also in spots, furniture from chipboard, too all is beaten off. The hotel stuff was unsmiling. A breakfast from porridge and a couple of pieces of bread with Nesquik cocoa of 60 dollars. Nevermore we will stop in Marriott, a money to burn. This hotel doesn't support a rank of 5 stars, perhaps 3 stars.

Good arrangement, nearby the park

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Downside was no tea and coffee making facilities in the room, but I could spend an extra 10$ for a kettle. Also wifi was not free and charged 17$/day for use. On the basis you are spending around 400$/night one would expect this.

The hotel is lovely and so well positioned next to Central Park.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Not really anything.

Just very convenient. Everyone was very helpful and kind. Just a comfort to come back to after a long day or even little day breaks. Nicely elegant and beautiful touches. Easy to meet up with others in lobby and have food in the South Gate restaurant.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

You have to pay for internet in your room. No hotel should charge for internet in the room - ever. Especially when you are paying very high prices in a luxury hotel.

Excellent location. Room size when NOT having a park view are much larger so pick those.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Location and very comfortable bed.

Be careful with your credit cards! A cost of our room was around 2000$. What we faced: at first, the hotel blocked on my card 1000$ as service charge and promised me to use this funds as payment for our room when we checked out, then they withdrew from my friend's card the second part of our room's cost - 1000$ more. It looked ok, but after three days they froze on my card 2000$ again!!! They could not explained that and promised me (again) to unlock the first 1000$ (service charge), to returned 1000$ and withdrew just what I needed to pay - 1000$. They confirmed that they did everything from their side.But my bank confirmed that the Marriotte didnt send any confirmation! (I got my money back only in 2 weeks after we left the hotel) We didn't have hot water in our bathroom. Some days in a row we were requiring to fix that, but unfortunately the temperature of our water coulb be called as "slightly warm" during all days we stayed there. Breakfast-not good, we advice you to find more higher quality food outside. That's all.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

I had to keep calling for washcloths; I know it sounds trivial, but it seems like a basic thing and I felt that after I called once, they would ensure we were brought some each following day. Otherwise, everything was excellent.

The staff was exceptional, going out of their way to provide the best experience possible. I could not have asked for anything more. Pleasant, kind and accommodating, each person I had contact with.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

• King Room Connector to Double Double

I did not like that there was not a complimentary breakfast available. It would have been a better stay if a simple no frills breakfast buffet was available to all hotel guests. I thought it was outrageous that my only in house breakfast option was the over priced Resteraunt attached to the Hotel. We did have to eat there one morning and seating was limited, service was slow and it was over priced. Mornings are hectic enough, it is just a nice option and good customer service to have eggs, fruit, cereal, muffins, juice and coffee available to any and all guests who are staying there at your wonderful property.

Location was great and the staff was very nice.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• Queen Room

Went down to get a complimentary coffee and there were no paper cups, the woman who was at the front hostess stand was very abrupt and said the service was over but it was still during the time they said it should be available- (with 10 min left) She was rude, then her an associate came to the rescue and offered to get me a cup from the kitchen which was very lovely.

Loved the staff, everyone said hello and greeted us from the cleaning service people to the security to the bell hops. It was very festive for the holiday- the concierge Kevin was very helpful and so was the staff retrieving our luggage and getting us transport to the airport. One of my favorite hotels in the entire city and I have stayed at some of the best.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

• Queen Room

Couldn't find my reservation upon check-in but staff sorted it out quickly and gave me a great room. House keeping were awesome and adorable, noticed I was running low on toothpaste and left me a new one. Good size gym. Lovely location.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

We loved everything about our stay, however we would have enjoyed having hot water or coffee in our room to relax a bit in the morning before going out into the city.

Loved the location of the Essex House. Absolutely perfect and so close to pubic transportation, food, and local attractions.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• King Room with Central Park View

Check-in took too long; not enough staff. Hall carpeting at some points was coming apart at the seams. Our bathroom although immaculate had a chipped tub. Not expected in a first-class hotel at $400 plus per night.

The view of Central Park was wonderful even though it added to price. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were heavenly - is it possible to let me know what kind of pillows they are? Room was clean and quiet. Melvin our server at breakfast was outstanding.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

New year they closed the bar for a private party, so guests couldn't get a drink to celebrate and some staff expect tips for doing very little.

Location was great, porters very helpful,

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Queen Room

We had travelled all day from the UK and Our room was not ready until 6:30 PM ! This was not a great way to start our vacation whilst being very tired !!!

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was disappointed in the on-site restaraunt. The lunch menu was extremely limited and the staff were not up to the level of the rest of the hotel.

The location is hard to beat. It is centrally located for theater, dining, the Park with easy access to subways as well. The hotel staff in general was excellent.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

The room 651 was very dirty! Upholstered chairs and sofa were very dirty. Fold out bed was broken down & my granddaughter had to sleep sideways. The vents for heat & air seemed like they were over the kitchen. Smells too much!

Location location

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

• Queen Room

No coffee maker, no complementary water.

Just across the central park with amazing views. The rooms are classic and basic, yet comfortable. Wifi was complementary with decent speed.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Queen Room with Central Park View

Althought I requested a Central Park view, our room at 36th floor only has a lateral view and the windows are quite dirty!

The excellent location and the friendly staff. The Art Deco public spaces are very nicely kept

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Would like to have better outlets by the bedside to charge both phone and ipad.

Very comfortable bed and room. I liked the lighting, a chair to read in with a footstool! And a desk chair.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

View of a brick wall in a superior King room for $600 plus a night. No coffee maker in room, and no coffee station set up in the lobby. No vending machines for sodas or ice so you are forced to buy the exorbitantly priced $9 (!!!) 8 oz bottles of soda, juice, water etc. We planned ahead after the first night and brought in from a market around the corner. but the lack of easy morning coffee was a big negative for me.

fabulous location close to everything! Walk to shopping, Time Square, dining etc. And just cross the street into Central Park! Quiet, comfortable.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• King Room with Central Park View

Needs to be refurbished No closet for two persons Old and broken furniture Dirty carpets All levels of clerks have no manners,they do not make easy your stay

We were very surprised there was not a kettle in the bedroom. We needed one to make formula for our baby. When we called room service to ask for one they told us there was a $10 charge. We thought this was ridiculous for a luxury hotel and it overshadowed our experience. We've stayed in many fabulous hotels and this is the first time we experienced this. Better you increase the price of the room if necessary (really?) than nickel and dime us when we need such basic service.

The buffet breakfast was excellent! Most delicious in a very stylish restaurant. The beds in the room were very comfortable and pillows too! Very friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

• Queen Room with Central Park View

The mattress was way too soft. Got pains in the back after a couple of nights. The bed was also somewhat small for Quin bed. However we had nice walk in closet. Very nice view from the window, but the windows as such we're very dirty

Good location. Nice helpful personnel. Clean.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Room Service quiet expensive Kids toys went missing

Staff very friendly and engaging with children Clean & Quiet (very welcoming) Location (Close to Major Subway Lines) Amenities (Gym, Business Centre) Rooms (Beds, Bathrooms)

• Queen Room with Central Park View

Probably racked up and extra nights stay due to unlisted prices of items I thought would be complimentary based on the price of the hotel itself.

Staff was wonderfully helpful. Excellent amenities and location.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

1.Unprofitable staff the tell you something and do something else . Not transparent 2. Always you feel the wants for foul you . 3. Compaire to Langham hotel where we stay before no comparison in the staff , comfort , the way of dealing with costumer 100% different 4. In the room no turn around service and no water or sweet which make the Clint happy

1. Tess was one of the manager she was very good to us . 2. The lobby restaurant was nice 3.location close to all good shops

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Nothing to be liked in this hotel only the location

The staff unprofessional and the service is very bad and the charge higher rates than my rates which was confirmed by booking.com and they told me they don't have contract with booking.com it is the worst hotel I ever stayed in it in my life the room very dirty And their was food in the refrigerator from the previous gusts was very bad smell and I told them to take it many times but nothing happened I will never stay at any of the J W Marriott again

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

The hotel rooms really need updating. The veneer was coming off the furniture. The vanity is very small but at least had several demo shelves and storage underneath. Free wifi and a coffee maker in a room at this price should be a given.

Location and beds. Also liked the separate closets. Having and iron and ironing board a plus.

• Queen Room with Central Park View

Thought breakfast buffet was expensive and very ordinary. Scrambled eggs were cold and tasteless

Beds were extra comfy with lovely pillows. Fluffy soft towels too.

No coffeemaker in the room, I knew the view would be bad but looking at garbage was not expected. Also, the tub needed repainting/resurfacing as it showed a lot of wear.

Execellent location

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Quite expensive. Having to pay for coffee making set in room @ 10 dollars a day. WiFi not free.

Location and that USOpen tennis players saying there. Great service.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• One-Bedroom Family Suite

Damp room, view off brick wall, terrible food. Worst overpriced 5 star hotel I ever stayed in. Not 5 star more like 2 star experience. Never ever again!!!

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• King Room Connector to Double Double

Having to pay for wifi is a reason to not return. It is annoying to get nickeled and dimed for something that should come standard with the room. A pay per view movie option would be nice.

Great lobby. Great location. Beds were very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

room carpets very dirty, they gave me when I checked in a very noisy room near the AC chillers machine, Lounge manager was very impolite with me.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• King Room Connector to Double Double

Shame it doesn't have a pool especially when the city was so hot.

Fantastic location for park, shops and Times Square. Staff super helpful and friendly. Rooms spacious

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• King Room Connector to Double Double

Nothing, just need to review the overpriced rate.

Excellent staff, especially Muhammad at front desk who helped me change the room with a better view room by talking to the very friendly front desk manager! I liked also the comfort of the rooms.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Junior Suite Connector to Double Double

Expensive breakfast option and no smaller cheaper cafe option.

V clean rooms and good service. Great location as we have previously stayed on Times Square. Unfortunately the Marfiott on Times Square was a much better hotel and I would go back there first.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• King Room Connector to Double Double

WiFi was only worked in lobby. No in room tea / coffee making facilities.

Rooms very comfortable and large. Good shower. We had internal room - worth paying more for park view.

• Queen Room

Rooms in desparate need of refurbishing; badly cleaned bathrooms, stained carpets, old towels. Also: charging 20$ a day for wifi is just bizarre these days:

Location is good

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Free WIFI was slow, otherwise it was paid, Breakfast was paid & is expensive. So for kids it is not super ideal. The lobby area is not very comfy to sit and have a drink. Only in the one restaurant.

Location is excellent. The Junior Suite size was perfect for two adults and two young teens. Clean and good service. pretty responsive.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

We switched to another international chain, as the room advertised was super smaller in reality and we had a suite.The décor is very dark, almost black. wouldn't recommend for families. But for young couples or single travellers.

location.