Reviews of The Normandy Hotel 3 stars

2118 Wyoming Avenue NW, Northwest, Washington, DC 20008, USA

#88 of 138 hotels in Washington

This hotel has recently changed management and there are a significant number of growing pains. For example, the first room we were given had a mattress leaning up against the wall. The second room we were given was finished, but missing things like towels and there were stains on the floor. Personally, I feel the renovation was unnecessary and caused this hotel to lose a lot of its eclectic charm.

The concierge desk was incredible. Everything that was wrong with the room, the service, or the accommodations was addressed directly by the concierge. The location is also amazing - we love staying here for the central location.

• Superior Queen Room

Given the high cost of the room, an additional $12 for a standard continental breakfast seemed a bit unreasonable.

Cute, comfortable room. Loved the interior decor in the room. The bed was really comfortable.

• Superior Queen Room

- The air conditioner was making too much noise and was still needed as the room was hot. - The phone wasn't connected to the right room.

- Very conveniently located, close to Connecticut Ave. - Complimentary water and coffee. - Very clean. - The WiFi was great.

• Superior Queen Room

The building is understandably old, so it did have a few maintenance issues such as our toilet not working in the room we were given and the elevator not moving at one point. However the staff was quick to offer us another room without additional fees and were quick to respond to any maintenance issues which definitely made up for it!

The charm and character of it all was adorable and the rooms matched the expectation! Plus the staff was very accomodating towards any issue that may have risen. Also there was plenty of great shops and restaurants within walking distance and the neighborhood was adorable! If I were to plan another trip to DC, I would certainly choose this hotel again

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were placed in a room with one bed whereas we booked a room with two beds. Air conditioner performed poorly. Elevator wasn’t working. Breakfast just cold cereal, bagels, weak coffee. Parking was $40!

• Superior Queen Room

The bed wasn't terribly comfortable. The fridge made weird noises. And I wish I had been able to open a window.

A discreet little hotel on one of those gracious blocks off Connecticut Avenue--how delightful! I'll definitely come again. And the chocolate chip cookies, available 24/7, are to die for.

• Superior Queen Room

The place could use a sprucing in some areas. Although everything is clean and looks lovely, you can tell it’s an aging hotel, particularily in the room we had. I’m not sure if all of the rooms are like that but for the amount of money it costs to stay here, you would think they would do some upkeep and renovations from time to time. Pricy but what can you do, most of DC is pricy to stay at unless you’re at a motel, a place far away, or get a crazy deal.

Staff was friendly and informative, and the place itself was cute and unique. They allowed us to check in early and when we checked out, to keep our stuff there until our flight while we went out and explored.

• Superior Queen Room

The quality of bread at breakfast could be improved (I am french !)

I really appreciated my stay at the Normandy hotel. It is in a quiet area and was not too far from my conference. The rooms (and beds) are confortable, breakfast is OK and especially there is a nice expresso machine. I also like the friendly atmosphere, it remains quite human and it is not a huge hotel with hundreds of rooms. I could even profit once of the wine & cheese in the afternoon.

• Superior Queen Room

Air conditioner did not work. It only had heat, which we did not need. Since there were now windows that opened, we could have used some A/C.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was clean. Coffee and breakfast available.

• Superior Queen Room

The room was quite small and the bed not very comfortable.

The location and neighborhood have access to many destinations around our interests, yet out of extremely busy area. We enjoyed the restaurants in the area and easy access to everything DC has to offer.

• Superior Queen Room

Poorly lit room, broken pull down shade. Inscrutable in room coffee maker with no instructions. No info in the room about the hotel or surroundings.

Very quiet. Comfy bed. Great location close to my conference.

The bathroom smelled as if it had not been cleaned in awhile. The breakfast buffet, which cost $12, was awful. While the neighborhood is very pleasant, quiet and safe, it lacks nearby stores and restaurants.

The bed was comfortable, tv was fine, room was an adequate size, neighborhood is very nice.

• Superior Queen Room

Hard to find and parking was not ideal.

Room was quaint and perfect. Absolutely beautiful and modernized. I loved the espresso nook and the bathroom. Bed was very comfy.

• Superior Queen Room

I left my room for the day...when I returned I found TWO condoms and dirty tissues under my bed and on my dresser! They moved my room...but this room had a broken thermostat and the TV was broken as well! I asked repeatedly for a manager to no avail... I'm still waiting for someone to contact me days later! I will have to contact their corporate office myself....

The location was great and very convenient.

• Deluxe Queen Room

They were doing construction outside and there was a painting scaffold outside my Juliet balcony.

Everything about the place was enjoyable. I liked the decor and how cozy the hotel was.

• Superior Queen Room

The bed was uncomfortable and housekeeping did not make up my room. I called the front desk for towels but didn’t get clean ones until I went down to the desk myself.

• Superior Queen Room

The staff was pretty incompetent. Booked for a special occasion. As I arrived on the street and called for parking directions after driving for 7 hours, the on duty manager stated, "oh I was just about to call you there was a problem with the room. We have another hotel you can go to if you want." Of course this was a slight issue but I thought I would see what was going on. As I walked into the hotel, the on duty manager was scrambling on the phone calling a neighboring hotel to get me a room. I could immediately tell that nothing had been done to solve the situation and that they were just hoping we were not going to show. This is after I had called twice, speaking with the same manager, confirming my reservation. After 15 mins of him on the phone, he let me know that "they (neighboring hotel) could take me for the night but if I wanted to stay the second night there I would then have to pay their rates or I could come back to the original hotel." Obvously i was mad, so I said if I go I'm not moving my belongings back to this hotel the next day and you guys can pay the difference. He said he couldn't do that the best he could do was give me a complimentary continental breakfast. I was so mad and explained that they had just screwed up my whole weekend that was a suprise birthday. Also I had called earlier in the week to see if there was anything they could do to make it just a little more special for her birthday and the same on duty manager "i got you." Needless to say he did not there was nothing obviously, but as I explained that we had driven for 7 hours for a special occasion and they had ruined it, he said " oh it's a special occasion, ok you can have the room." So overall, pretty terrible customer service.

Location. That was about it.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The 'wine hour' from 5.00-6.00pm was a very sociable event each evening. The free coffee and cookies in the lobby was also a nice touch.

• Superior Queen Room

When we checked in at 12 our room wasn't ready but we were told we could have a front room as we were the 2nd people to check in that day. When we returned at 4 we were given a room on the second floor facing the air conditioning unit in the back. When we complained we were given room on a higher floor, still in the back. I didn't appreciate being given the worst room when a better one was available..

The Normandy is a clean, well run boutique hotel with few amenities. Its fine for brief stays.

• Superior Queen Room

There was a large brown stain on the comforter that I didn't find until the next day. Also, a few brown stains on the wash-clothes and sheets. The worse was the comforter. It was cold that night but the hotel only has a 1-pipe system so the heat wasn't on in the building thus I couldn't turn it on in my room.

The front desk help was exceptional and warm. The hotel was quiet and the rooms stylishly decorated. It was easy to walk to the bus and a 5 minute ride to the train station. The front desk offered take out menus and helped me choose a good place to order from. I liked the bathrooms and the bed was soooo comfortable. The hotel is really just beautiful.

• Deluxe Queen Room

They forgot to put coffee pads in my room on the last day, and I really missed my cup of coffee in the morning. Also, there is only one computer downstairs, so, when I had to type and print out a half-page document for work, it was impossible, since the comp. was occupied. The breakfast is cheap ($12 plus tax), but I didn't like it, it is better to go somewhere else for real breakfast

The hotel is good for its price, very cosy, clean and comfortable. Good that there was complementary water, coffee, and WIFI. Everything worked well in the room. Staff is friendly and helpful. I had a corner room, which was pretty spacious. I understand that the other rooms are much smaller

Adams Morgan is super hip part of DC. Hotel was within walking distance of super hip shops, restaurants. Short taxi ride to White House, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, Smithsonian, etc.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The A/C didn't work properly. The engineer changed the filter (which was filthy) and lowered the thermostat. The room never cooled to a pleasant temperature. The shower had low water pressure. The breakfast, not included, was $12 and offered cereal some very light meat and cheese and an assortment of stale bread items. The coffee machine didn't work properly. There was not foam for the cappuccino maker the refrigerators were empty, no milk juice or water. The only time I saw a staff person was when they dropped off the bill. My one word discription of breakfast is "pathetic". I can't believe they charge anything for that. It felt insulting.

The staff was very nice and worked to assist with the concerns I had right away.

• Superior Queen Room

No bar service. Main areas need refurbishing. Very basic breakfast arrangement.

Staff friendly and helpful. Location good... to have Metro in walking distance. Pretty streets around.

• Superior Queen Room

Could not get the espresso maker in my room to work but appreciated the one in the common area night and day.

On a quiet street, but safe and easy walking to anywhere in the Dupont Circle area you want to go to. The hotel itself is tasteful and understated, loved the courtyard in front and free wine happy hour. A nice change from a large impersonal hotel. Really good price for the area and European style accommodation.

I did not appreciate being woke up to doors constantly slamming from other guest going in and out of their rooms. The wall paper and matching drapes were kind of nauseating to wake up to every morning. Street parking was horrible and the valet parking very expensive. Hotel tooo expensive not to have a pool. Not worth the total amount of money spent for 4 days. We cut our vacation short by one day because of the expense of valet parking.

The bed and pillows were comfortable.

• Superior Queen Room

The lighting in the bedroom could have been much better...but maybe my husband preferred me in that light??

Continental breakfast very good; staff very pleasant and welcoming; evening wine reception was a very nice touch and much appreciated:-)

• Superior Queen Room

Even though the property is pet friendly, there were no provided bags for cleanup, no where friendly to walk my dog, all surrounding areas had signs for "no dogs" or "keep off", and so it was difficult finding a spot for him to do his business, no close trash cans for pet waste. Very inconvenient

Allowed dogs, clean, chic

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Superior Queen Room

Quiet, quaint and very comfortable hotel in a great DC neighborhood. I felt like I had my own apartment for a week, it was wonderful! Wine & cheese each day at 5pm was perfectly delicious and so was the apple to grab whenever. I was gone all day each day so I didn't get to have the afternoon cookies nor did I have time to enjoy the breakfast due to breakfast meetings with clients. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone. Can't wait to go back in November.

• Superior Queen Room

The morning breakfast selection was a bit disappointing for the price. No real hot food other than toast. They only offered juice, coffee, cold cereal, toast, fresh fruit and yogurt for $12.00

The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. Robert, Andre, Brandon, Jasmine and Roberto consistently went the extra mile to provide excellent service or helpful information. They helped me arrange transportation around DC and printed up menus of the various restaurants in the area. They provided useful information about where to go and what to see, which tours were a "rip off" and which tours gave the best experience for the money. They truly were the reason I had such a great experience in DC. Not only that but every morning they greeted me personally, asking if there was anything I needed help with. Every evening they asked me how my day went and what did I want to see next. Amazing staff, elegant and comfortable accommodations made for an exceptional vacation experience.

• Superior Queen Room

Dark, shabby, breakfast with headache-inducing music. $12 for continental breakfast offerings that were adequate as fuel. But otherwise yucky: coffee machine and limited teas. low-end cereals, cheese, lunch meat.

Comfy bed, great lighting in the room. Helpful desk staff.

• Superior Queen Room

Wi-fi connection could be better.

Free and very flexible bike rental amenity; Complementary bottled water available on demand; Nespresso machine in rooms for complementary coffee on demand; Excellent location and friendly, cool and helpful staff!

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Honestly, nothing.

One of the most comfortable beds I've ever been in in a hotel. Cookies in the lobby, fruit in the hallway, espresso machine in the room (!), glorious shower, lovely decor.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

• Superior Queen Room

More desk space would have been useful.

Quiet, clean, very friendly staff, cute neighborhood, walking distance to metro, comfortable bed, excellent room service.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

• Superior Queen Room

If you are looking for a good night's sleep, do NOT choose this hotel. Cheap mattress and the pillows are so hard and flat I actually looked to see if they had folded up a blanket and put it in the pillowcase. Also, the rooms are VERY small(we were two people and could hardly turn around in there) and the smoke detectors have a garish green light on them that illuminates the whole room when you turn off the lights. The shades do not fit the windows so the morning light comes in as soon as the sun comes up. Our window faced a brick building....this is after the person checking us in told us we had one of the nicest rooms "only two" of this particular configuration left. The staff was outstanding though, very friendly and eager to please. Would not stay there again.

staff outstanding, rooms were clean

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Superior Queen Room

Only complaint - unsecured wireless. In my business i need secured.

Convenience and price were remarkable. Also very flexible and helping with things that came up like having to extend, or an extra nespresso capsule and lining up annuber driver.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Superior Queen Room

Nothing. Everything was great.

The hotel was great in a very peaceful and quiet neighborhood. The complimentary wine hour every evening in the cozy lounge area offered an opportunity to relax. The room was also cozy and relatively spacious. The location was great; the Dupont Circle metro stadion was not far away and Georgetown, the Mall and other places to see were not that far away either. We would definetely stay there again.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Superior Queen Room

Our room was small. But, for the price, still good value.

People at the front desk could not have been any more helpful or nicer to deal with! Lovely wine and chees hour too!

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Despite the overall attempt to brand this as a "French" hotel, the breakfast looked not appealing and was not worth $12. We chose not to try though. They had a buffet with white American-style toast, muffins, sugery yogurt, and no healthy options.

Great location in the historic district. Nicely decorated rooms. "French" inspired atmosphere. Very good shopping facilities and plenty of good food options nearby.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• Superior Queen Room

Nothing! My entire stay there was wonderful!

Patrice was SO helpful on check-in! The hotel manager was incredibly nice. Upon check-out, Patrice and his colleague, Robert, made checking out a breeze!

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Superior Queen Room

duvet and duvet cover tucked into the bed so tight because they were too big for the bed and a bit annoying when you woke up to find it nearly on the floor but other than that no complaints..

The location was very good, you could get the hop on hop off bus around the corner, staff extremely friendly and helpful, wine and cheese reception every day which was a little bonus.. Beds were also very comfortable...

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

• Superior Queen Room

Rooms (both first and second offered) were just awful, bathroom had no hooks and wardrobe had a 24 inch hanging rail for 2 people, almost no storage space elsewhere. Breakfast was rubbish- poor selection and badly organised. Hotel was tired and in need of a substantial refresh!! Not worth the money.

Staff were good, free wine hour!

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

This is an example when there is a gap between the pictures you see in the website of a hotel and the reality of the place. It is dark. In order to create ambiance, the illumination is simply poor. It is worn. Accumulated paint used with the years to rejuvenate the place, that with the time cracks and falls. Soviet era breakfast, is better that you take a walk, to have a breakfast somewhere else (10-15 min walk) Price-Quality ration the poorest I have ever seen.

The location is very interesting. Not far away from Dupont Circle, the area where this hotel is located is very quiet and nice to walk.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

• Superior Queen Room

carpet was a little icky. offering slightly less discounted valet at check in would be nice (versus the rate offered at booking).

great location, overall cute room. the wifi is also easily accessible - major +++

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Superior Queen Room

Just a small detail stayed in room 609 nice and quiet but carpet could use cleaning .

Staff very friendly had wine and breakfast for purchase not that great better to walk down to Starbucks. Would definetly stay again.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

• Superior Queen Room

There was no hot water during our stay. We were unable to shower. Had I known I wouldn't be able to shower, I would never have booked. No one apologized or offered any compensation. Tried twice to give feedback but no response from management. Very disappointing.

Location was nice. Quiet neighborhood.

• Superior Queen Room

Overall satisfied. I particularly liked the wine and coffee.

• Superior Queen Room

Can't think of anything negative

Nice hotel, nice location and friendly staff

• Superior Queen Room

Felt more like Bed and Breakfast...quiet.

• Superior Queen Room

The safe wasn't working; the toilet flush stopped working one of the days.

Location, room was decent size and well lit, the staff were friendly.

The staff was very friendly, accommodating, and helpful . The Hotel was clean. Neighborhood was quiet.

• Superior Queen Room

Soft bed. I coughed a lot. No food service except breakfast. Not even snacks.

Staff

• Superior Queen Room

Maybe a little bit pricey.

Very nice and cozy hotel. We had a wonderful time there.

• Superior Queen Room

Staffs are very professional we had a wonderful stayed

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathroom was adequate but tiny; outlet did not work so could not use the hair dryer.

Staff was great

Staff was great

No complaints

The room had a cozy feel. The hotel is in a great location. The staff were wonderful.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Bathroom was a little small

Love the location and the quaintness of the property

No parking

Close to a lot of things

• Superior Queen Room

First two night heater never worked, third night heater worked too well and even opening the window in February would not cool the room down.

Loved the bathroom

• Superior Queen Room

We loved the area and though there were renovations being done on the hotel we had a nice stay. Very happy with the price.

• Superior Queen Room

1sr floor was too noisy for me, but staff moved me and then I was completely satisfied.

Love the beds and the staff.

Need vendor services

Everything good

The staff

• Superior Queen Room

Overpriced.. old and dirty Under construction...should have charged less Breakfast

Dog friendly--I love dogs, but not when they are barking, in the middle of night and early morning.

The location and thge bathroom

• Superior Queen Room

It was a cute boutique hotel that had very clean rooms and in a quiet area. The staff was very courteous and professional.

view of a wooden fence

• Superior Queen Room

It's fine for the location!

Yes lol

Faren and Wilke were both delightful young ladies and were very helpful!

Beautiful decor

• Superior Queen Room

Parking and the room was a bit small.

Unique place and comfy place.

• Superior Queen Room

This was my second time staying here and I love this place - intimate, cozy, with free espresso & wine (!) - they really go the extra mile.

Professional employees at the hotel A manage on duty 24 hours a day