Reviews of The Kirkley Hotel 3 stars

2900 Candlers Mountain Road, Lynchburg, VA 24502, USA

#5 of 21 hotels in Lynchburg

The maids were a little loud early in the morning in the halls.

Breakfast was good, waiters were very friendly and made you feel welcome. Kids loved pool. Housekeeping met my needs as well.

• Double Room - Disability Access

Would have been nice to have two bedside lamps, rather than one, shared. I prefer a top and bottom sheet, not just a bottom one with only a duvet on the top.

The beds were very comfortable. Staff very welcoming. Especially Kerry.

Lo

A truly lovely hotel. Everything exceeded our expectations restaurant was stylish, ambiance was quite friendly and welcoming. Food was excellent and staff was Absolutely wonderful. Room was quite nice and comfortable

The beds seemed very small for a double bed. The bathrooms were very small and it was difficult for 4 people to shower and get ready. Our shower drain was very slow and you had to stand in water while you showered.

The rooms were large and tastefully decorated. The staff was pleasant and attentive to our needs. The lobby and restaurant were also tastefully decorated, and appeared to be clean.

The staff was terrific! I was helping family members who had no power due to the tornadoes and the staff made them feel very welcome and helped the children feel safe.

The walls were paper thin, we could hear entire conversations of the people in the room next to us. And when the A/C unit turned on it was extremely loud.

The location and the amenities.

Near the entrance, there was a smell of cigarette smoke, and cigarette butts littered the entrance. Make smoking off limits within 50 feet of the entrance. Regularly sweep the area.

Breakfast was delicious and budget-friendly.

Did not use Pool. Swimming Pool looks inviting but instead is very inhibiting - needs some kind of privacy. All glass walls allowing full view from Lobby makes you think you are on display in an aquarium. Note our bodies are not the same as when we were teenagers. Some curtains or other screening would be better. No offer was made to provide bell hop assistance moving luggage to room but appeared later such help might be available. Very Confusing. Signs or Desk Clerk advisory would help.

Dining management very personable and Courteous and allowed us to order supper after closing,

Loud air/ heat condition. The entrance is an eye soar. Plenty upgrades are needed on the outside lots of rust on windows or the bldg

The outside of the property is outdated. The internet pics show differently. Lots of new upgrades are needed in the rooms. The air conditioned/ heat is very loud. The furniture inside is very old

The grand room was just awesome!!! Amazing food and the atmosphere is beyond charming! Indoor fire pit with chairs all around and indoor water feature. Looks like Chip and Joanna designed it! The rooms were huge and the comforter and pillows were so incredibly comfortable!!!!

The walls are very thin. I could hear the person in the next room going to the bathroom and I could hear him talking and snoring as if he was in the room with me.

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend for our anniversary and words cannot explain how wonderful of a time we had! We have never stayed here before and cannot believe the value for the money! The hotel far exceeded our expectations! We were surprised with two free breakfast buffets each upon arrival when they found out it was our anniversary and then were surprised with free dessert another night because it was our anniversary! We couldn’t say enough positive things about the staff and the hotel as well!

More towels n wash cloths.. Voucher for breakfast would have been very nice..

The bed was very comfortable n cozy...had a nice romantic stay with fiancee..we enjoyed to room being large...

In this area, the Kirkley is supposed to be one of the nicest hotels in the area, and to an extent, it is. However, the king beds are firm and not nearly as comfortable as some of their local competitors (spring mattress with no soft mattress topper). If you have back issues, you may be uncomfortable in these beds. Underneath my bed was a large piece of plywood, which I found odd. In addition, the king suites are relatively small, it's not roomy at all. Also, the cleaning staff are very loud and come extremely early. If you are staying for a few days, you will likely be woken up every morning by the staff making noise and laughing/talking, even if you have the "Do not disturb" sign on the door. They do not keep housekeeping on staff throughout the day, so if you need more towels or need the room cleaned, you'll be getting up at 8-9ish, otherwise they will be gone the rest of the day. For such an expensive rate, I really expected better quality in all of these items. Final note, the hotel will charge your card an additional 20% fee until you have checked out, whereas other competitor hotels in the area do not.

The room was extremely clean, the bathroom was beautiful. The TV had no issues, was able to watch cable TV and connect to the free hotel wifi with no issues. The indoor pool is a huge plus, and it's often not overcrowded.

I always stay at this hotel while visiting my daughter at Liberty. I have not been disappointed once. Sunday brunch is always amazing. Very clean and comfortable room.

The outside appearance of the hotel -- which is dated and tired -- gives no hint of its inside attractiveness and up-grading, and especially not of the excellence of its kitchen. My message to travelers who are shopping for a place to stay by driving past and looking at hotel facades -- don't judge a "book" by its cover!

Unusually large queen-bed room; comfortable bed; helpful staff; remarkably skilled kitchen operation for a restaurant in a modestly-priced hotel. Inventive mixed drinks. Better than average breakfast--at $9.95 each.

Hotel seems like an old rundown hotel they’ve tried to put a bandaid on. Elevator broken, TV had limited viewing and poor quality, linens were thin and very wrinkled, could feel springs in bed, refrigerator did not cool properly, and room was not cleaned well daily.

Every encounter with staff was friendly and welcoming.

There were several things that added up to a not great stay. It snowed the first night we were there - about 2 inches. The parking lots were never plowed. On the second day, one of the elevators would not stop on the 3rd floor. The front desk told us to send the elevator to 5 (get on, push 5, get off) and call the other elevator. This did not always work (and showed that this was a known problem). The next day, that elevator was out of service - and remained that way for the rest of our stay (3 more days). Guests tried to take the stairs (they were at the ends of the building) but they only led outside. Breakfast is not included and felt overpriced - especially after you add in state tax, hotel tax, and tip. We tried to eat at the Great Room restaurant for dinner, but they would not seat us. There were plenty of empty tables, but they had just seated a large party, so they told us we would have to wait 15 minutes for a table. I can understand if they felt their kitchen might be overwhelmed (the restaurant was MAYBE half full), but we could have been seated and given water, bread, etc. and told that service would be slow. It really felt like they did not want our business, so we left. The final bill did not show up under our door on the final night of our stay - just another reason I prefer hotels like the Hampton. Lesson learned.

The best thing about this hotel was that it was inexpensive. It was a little tired-looking, but the beds were fine and there were plenty of electrical outlets. Housekeeping did a good job.

The wait staff at the Great Room was incredibly slow and the food was just okay. I imagined the room the be slightly nicer, especially the bathroom, but my expectations were not fully met. While it was clean there were some dated elements to the room, including and most noticeably the shower. Showers are super important to me at a hotel, being that you’re standing in there naked, and it felt a little dingy and dated which made it feel gross, even though it appeared to be clean.

The location was prime for the event that I had to attend in rustburg.

The Great Room food was highly over priced for the quality. I could hear the people in the next room causally talking.

Great location, nice exercise room, large room. Very friendly service

No bar.

Very helpful staff even though they were quite busy. The whole place was very clean. Nice gym area and indoor pool. Comfortable beds. Descent breakfast.

Cable service was not very good and the TV picture quality was poor. Difficult to watch news or just relax with a movie.

Clean well-appointed rooms. Friendly staff.

Before I left for my planned activities,requested additional towels and washcloths for the other guests,and didn't receive any. I received them after we returned from the activities and made another request with the front desk. Thank goodness,I had a set in my bag from home to share with the other guests.

My previous stays at the Kirkley. The staff were more attentive to my needs.

SORRY PILLOW QUALITY !

Clean room , nice bed, nice linen . SORRY PILLOWS ! Good parking . Plan on staying there from now on when visiting family . PLEASE UPGRADE PILLOWS !

There were no outlets next to the bed. When traveling for work, it's frustrating not be be able to charge things next to you. The wifi also kept disconnecting and needed to reconnect. But neither was so important that it took away from all the other great things this hotel offered.

The staff. The woman at the front desk was so helpful and kind in every way. The restaurant staff were also super friendly as were the cleaning staff. The room was spotless and the details with the dimmer switch in the bathroom or the soft towels were a plus.

Nothing Really! Although the exterior looks old, which scared me as I thought I made a bad choice, but the inside is beautiful

The inside of the hotel is beautiful. The outer exterior of the hotel looks old and outdated and I was afraid I had made a bad decision, but everything is beautiful on the inside. Staff was super professional. The rooms were clean and modern and the beds were comfortable. Didn't get an opportunity to try The Great Room restaurant as we had a short stay. Most definitely will stay again.

Management didn’t accommodate for my troubles other than breakfast complimentary.

I stayed in room 408 and when my kids and I tried to take a shower the shower was broken. Meaning that the water could not be turned on at first because it was really hard then when it was turned on we could not turn it off and it started to fill up the tub and it will not drain the water. When tried to use their room phone it did not work so had to go to the main lobby to get help because the tub was getting full. When they came to the room to turn off the water I asked if they could switch me to another room because we didn’t have a shower they didn’t have any other rooms availables and they couldn’t do anything to fix it at the time. The only thing they did was to give me complementary breakfast. However that did not help the situation with being able to take a shower!!!! Management didn’t even try to fix it at the moment so no shower at all!!!!

The open feel of the room was very refreshing. The restaurant was great, we ate there for dinner as well as breakfast and enjoyed both! Wait staff was accommodating. The hotel had everything we needed for our stay.

My card was used instead of the cash I had for the room, but that was okay.

I couldn't help but to fall asleep every time I laid on the bed. It was the most comfortable bed I've ever been in. Everything was clean and fresh, not to mention the Starbucks coffee that was great in the morning. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

It would have been nice to have a comp breakfast and not just coffee.

I've never heard of The Kirkley, so I was a bit nervous, but it was OUTSTANDING! Not only was it very clean and comfy, but I'm a sucker for the small things and the little bow ties around the towels and the beautiful shower mat was over the top. I will stay here every time I come.

Paper thin walls- heard 3 different rooms & their conversations. No fan in the bathroom to circulate air.

The rooms were spacious, including the cool furniture & towels. The lobby had an inviting presence to draw you in & the fire pit helped! Location is minutes from LU & other schools.

The pool was supposed to be open. We were told 4 times they were opening it, my 4 year old son kept getting upset. At one point they guaranteed that it would be open the following morning, which it was not. They opened it as we were checking out. We only stayed here for the pool!

It was clean and quiet

I could hear the person snoring next door through the wall. Though not a deal breaker, I did not care for the coffee selection in the room; needed more sugar/creamer packets.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The bed was comfortable and we slept well. The hotel has done a nice job updating the location to make the place feel modern. The location was convenient to shopping, eating and attending functions at Liberty University.

What I did not like about my stay was that the maintenance worker watched me walk into my room and then used his key to let himself in about 15-20 minutes after, though I stopped him at the door. Also, the room was constantly freezing and the Heat would not work the room was 65 degrees when I checked in and I turned the heat up to 73, when I left the hotel the next morning it was 60 degrees in the room.

I did like the facilities on site, the gym and pool were very nice. In addition the front desk staff were very friendly and welcoming and the bed was comfortable.

I will certainly stay at the Kirkley Hotel next time I'm in Lynchburg. The entire hotel is beautiful. The towels were thick and luxurious, and the bedding was soft and fresh. The room was clean and fresh. The food was delicious and the price was very reasonable in the restaurant.

It was an unexpected tray. It’s so lovely inside - a cross between a Manhattan boutique hotel and southern living . The inside is beautiful and the room was perfect. Best value for what you get

There were only a few cosmetic problems I found with the linens. On one pice here was what appeared to be a makeup smear and then another piece was unraveling at the seam. Minor and not distracting from my stay. Also, the last night I was there I found the room phone didn’t work. Parking at night was also a search, one night I had to park in the back of the property then walk all the around to the front because the back door was only accessible by a code I was t given.

While my friends and I didn’t use the pool, it was nice to have the option of an indoor pool on my visit. It is perfectly located close to Liberty University with easy access to the school even with traffic. Before my trip I had yelped many local resteraunts and they were easily accessible from the hotel as well. Perfect location for getting around Lynchburg.

I didn't like that the pool area was freezing! Really need a hot tub. : ) I didn't like that there was no complimentary breakfast offered.

I LOVED that the towels were big. The hotel was very clean.

• King Room - Disability Access

Showering was somewhat difficult trying to hold rail and wash.

The room was spacious including the bathroom. Railings in shower area were great (I'm disabled). I arrived very early causing me to sit for about 3 plus hours for check in the rest attendants roomed me as soon as possible.

Nice but kind of shabby. Some of the towels torn and towels were not luxury quality to begin with. Cracks and crevices abound and often dusty. Not that I go around with a white glove but when I went to hang up my toiletries bag there was thick dust on the light fixtures. The amenities were sparse— qtips, cotton balls are usually standard. The hairdryer sounded like a 747 taking off and rattled like it was going to vibrate apart. So it was fine, but not luxury at all.

Friendly staff. Easy location.

The only minor detail that I found irksome was some guests insisted on parking under the canopy despite the no parking signs and them not having any physical disability other than pure laziness.The hotel was busy but that is no excuse to park on a fire lane.

The room was very spacious and comfortable but the most impressive aspect of staying at the Kirkley for us was the staff,especially the cleaners who did a superb job and were very prompt in supplying extra towels and changing the bed on request.

• King Room - Disability Access

The bed was hard, no flat sheet. The shower grout and caulk was coming away from the tile, there were rust spots around the fixtures. We have been regular customers for over 3 years. We will probably be looking for another place to stay in the future.

Staff was friendly, the restaurant staff was great and food good.

I have zero complaints! I love this hotel and will always stay here when visiting the area. The staff does an excellent job with every detail!

I have spent the last 5 years traveling to Lynchburg to visit my 3 children who are or were students at Lynchburg College. I found the Kirkley on Booking.com in 2012 and after viewing the interior pictures and reading the reviews, I booked a room. It was an excellent first overnight visit to Lynchburg. From that day forward, I try to book the Kirkley every single time. I have 2 student athletes and visit Lynchburg almost every weekend in the fall. As soon as the schedules come out, I book all my rooms just to be sure I get in at the Kirkley. I have already booked for graduation in 2018 too. The hotel is immaculate and the staff is super friendly. The beds are extremely comfortable and the decor of the rooms is updated and fresh. The Kirkley added an onsite restaurant called The Great Room. Yummy cocktails, brews and wines! Small plates and full menu are available. The downtown area of Lynchburg has been revitalized as well and has many quality restaurants. Very close in proximity to the Kirkley! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area.

Tv in my room would go in and out sometimes so there needs to be an updated one there but all in all, and excellent vacation!

The bed was like a fluffy cloud, pure comfort and sheer happiness.

• Double Room - Disability Access

Terrible Terrible matress for the amount of money charged. Just awful, so needs upgrading.

Beautiful hotel, average guest services, nice front desk services.

The parking lot for the lower level in the back badly needs paving.

The dinner at the restaurant was delicious, reasonably priced and a great atmosphere. The amenities were wonderful for the value. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Facility was excellent, what I was distressed about was that at check-in discovered I could not use AAA discount because I booked on line. I was never asked on-line if I had AAA. I thought the best deal was booking on line, but sadly discovered I paid 2x what I would have paid booking direct.

It would be nice if breakfast was included!

I liked how everything was clean. The lobby was beautiful, the pool was nice and the pillows were great! The restaurant was nice too. The chef talked to my grandson about the herbs he was growing!

There was a pacifier and old water bottle under the edge of the bed. I assume from previous guests. For what I paid for the room I expected much nicer and definitely cleaner.

No negative comments !!

Very friendly and clean. Stayed here before for a week and the room is very comfortable, quiet, and convenient to the college. The breakfast buffet is wonderful and relaxing. Great place !!

Having multiple kids in plying sports for and attending school at Lynchburg College, the Kirkley is our family's go to hotel. The staff is always super professional and helpful. The rooms are fresh and clean. We enjoy The Great Room restaurant as well. Heading back this month and look forward to another stay! Lynchburg is really revamping the downtown area as well. A lot of yummy eateries popping up!

Bathroom smallish. Shower curtain rod should be curved to add more elbow room in shower.

Big white fluffy towels Tried to keep our families all close in the same floor

They took away the spa that was beside the pool. Everything else was nice and perfect.

This one of the best or the best hotel in lynchburg. the staff in very nice.Ihave been coming there when it was the hilton. i would recommend to bring the spa back. Thats the only hotel my family member stay when we come to lynchburg va.

Not applicable,

Overall, the stay was outstanding! The comfort of the bed was outstanding. The cleanliness of the room and hotel was outstanding. I observed the renovations done since my last visit was awesome and very delightful.

Silly thing...I wish there had been vending for snacks. When I asked at the desk the clerk told me there was only drink vending. ....but that they had snacks available there at the front desk for sale. Bad thing was...he went right back to working and didn't offer to show me what they had. LOL I was fine..but I tend to be a late night snacker...I probably would have purchased something had I been shown the selection.

Most of staff was friendly and eager to help. The room was very clean and comfortable. The hotel itself was very quite also. Very close to Liberty University.

young man checking us in didn't know what he was doing..took way too long...dirty washcloth left in bathroom by maids, menu in restaurant never changes..NO ROOM SERVICE..you're expected to schlep your heavy tray back to your room yourself! restaurant never answered phone when we called...had three questionable charges on card...still waiting to find out what they're for.

nice hot shower.. mini fridge in room..beds comfortable.

No breakfast buffet. Sit down breakfast took too long even after I indicated i was in a hurry. The parking lot has numerous huge pot holes that can damage vehicles! The exterior is not well maintained. Rooms are also dated. Carpets are dirty with hair and lint when I first checked in as if the room was not even cleaned. TV only had local channels. Light fixtures are not bright enough and some light bulbs were out and had not been replaced.

The bed was at least comfortable and the room AC worked.

Postage stamp size bathroom. The room needs more furniture, not even pictures on the walls. The mini fridge and microwave were in the closet blocking room to hang cloths, what's up with that?

Very clean and very quiet in the room. I could have heard a pin drop the whole time I was there!

The bathroom vent was very dirty and the front part of the bathroom vanity was coming off.

The decor was very nice. The room was large and quite comfortable. The staff was very pleasant and helpful.

Great hotel, we only stayed one night. Central location make access to area very accessible. A bit different than other "chain hotels". Great beds, nice pool outstanding restaurant.

The hotel was nice. But city was boring.

Everything was user friendly and neat. Staff was friendly and ready to solve the problems. We felt in a secure and trustable environment.

Nothing one of the worse hotel I have ever stayed at. The parking lot lacked lighting and there are pot holes everywhere. According to booking.com there was a jacuzzi on site there was not one. They got rid of it years ago.

Nothing sub par hotel

The Kirkley Hotes was wonderful. It was extremely clean and comfortable. The staff was attentive and pleasant. The restaurant is top notch! This was the second time we have stayed here. We would definitely stay again!

Only the lobby bathrooms need updating and are still the decor from the original hotel and desperately needing to be redone.

Have stayed here for many trips since my daughter was and is planning to attend college here. It is a nice property and would stay again during our future visits. They have done a great job at remodeling the property to meet current day suggestions.

Air conditioner in my room didn't work. Had to call maintenance. Phone didn't work. Used cell to call front desk. Asked forcwake up call and second night I was there they forgot to call.

extremely clean and friendly staff

Staff seemed overwhelmed, bathrooms in lobby area were not clean. Had bacon for breakfast, it was so salty it was not edible.

Room was nice, beds were comfortable.

Potholes in parking lot could ruin a car / exterior façade looks a little worn and outdated

Value for the money / friendly staff / nice pool / convenient location

The facilities were clean and the exercise room and pool and the patio were all clean. I only saw two handicap parking spaces. They could have had some additional handicap parking spaces that were closer to the entrance...that is the only recommendation I have.

It was clean and the hostess was very nice and efficient. Rooms were clean and additional sheets, blankets and pillows were in the closet. The hotel restaurant there was nice as well.

In retrospect, I think the bed pillows were a bit too hard. If I had brought my concern to the front desk's attention, I am confident a solution would have been promptly found.

The only thing I did not like was we didn't check in until 5:43 am and the morning staff didnt allow us a late check out..so we paid full price for 5 hours

Great bed, big clean room, restaurant breakfast was delicious and super reasonable and even had an indoor fire pit at night. Facilities were all great and staff was super friendly and helpful at front desk. Short drive to shopping and restaurants. Loved that it was close to the airport and they provide a shuttle to pick you up and drop off right when you call.

The pool was closed our whole stay and they charged us an additional fee for my thirteen year old daughter each night. Even though she was included in the reservation.

It was very clean.

I reported and turned in a pillow with a ripped pillow case and worse it had blood all over the cover. Obviously house keeping is not your highest priority. Worse they assured me a manager would contact us about the bloody pillow but no one ever did. Obviously satisfying customers is not a priority as well.

The pool was out of order....and that was one of the main reasons we booked there. Would have been nice to know it wasn't accessible prior to booking

The room was suppose to be handicapped accessible it was hard for the person in the wheelchair to go into the bathroom. You had to drive the wheelchair in the bathroom and some one had to back the chair out of the bathroom and turn it around so the person could sit back in the wheelchair. It had a regular bathtub and I had to ask for a bath chair. The toilet was low. No room to turn the wheelchair around. The bathroom small to be handicapped accessible. The only that was accessible was the grab bar beside the toilet. The cost of the breakfast buffet for kids the same price as the adult.

the location is great