Reviews of Kimpton Donovan Hotel 4 stars

1155 14th Street Northwest, Northwest, Washington, DC 20005, USA

#48 of 138 hotels in Washington

• King Deluxe Room

the pool was closed.... my kids were sad & upon booking I was not informed Sundays were 22 & up pool time or the area by the pool waa 21 & up

Loved the connecting room we had

• Cityview King Studio

Our room was nice and clean, and we enjoyed the view. We appreciated the architecture of the shower: no curtain, no water spilling - thanks to a helix construction.

• King Deluxe Room

There is no coffee maker in the room. When my husband went down to get coffee (at 8:45 a.m.), there was no cream and no more coffee! There should have been a staff member dedicated to making sure the coffee station was in order.The in room phone didn't work. The pool closed at 4:00pm. We ordered room service and I had the woman repeat the order back to me and they still forgot one thing in our order.

All of the staff were great!

• King Deluxe Room

Staff were rude. I got in car accident and they would not help in anyway to accomondate me . They lied on the phone. I had to come to my hotel after just getting in car accident then went to hospital the next morning because I didnt want to waste my money . Dont ever want to go back unless its free . I felt so disrespected . Desk manager should be fires asap.they did nothing to help me be comfortable at all

Room View was nice

• Standard Room

I was charged for early check in but I wasn't told about it, just came up on my receipt. However, this was later refunded but it was a painful process. They never called me back etc.

The staff were great. They had to change the batteries on my room lock which took a while so they gave me a bottle of wine for the inconvenience. Minimal cost to them, great for me.

• Standard Room

style and furnishings were very nice. Quiet location. Good Japanese restaurant off the lobby.

bed was nice. However the bathroom shower light when on comes through the translucent shower enclosure and wakes up a person sleeping in the bed outside.

• King Deluxe Room

The staff was super friendly, addressed me by name every time I walked in and out of the lobby, and they were so lovely with my dog who joined me for my business trip. They gave him a dog bed, bowls, poop bags, and told me where to find some grass for him to walk. The room was comfortable and clean. It was a pleasant stay.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Room far too small; Lack of cupboards to order clothes; Lack of light at the desk; Lack of space on the desk/table; No availability of armchair; No rack for towels at the sink...

• King Deluxe Room

The water out of the sink had a lot of settlement ; but the staff provided bottled water for us once we made them aware. Older pipes and the city are factor they cannot necessarily control. It's hard to fault them for this - I cannot find anything wrong with our stay otherwise.

The room was large, and the staff was warm and inviting but not intrusive. The happy hour and coffee bar in the lobby was a great bonus! The location could not have been better for meeting friends, business at the conference center, and a quick trip to and from the airport

• King Deluxe Room

The reason I was sick was food poisoning from the on site restaurant, though I can’t fault the hotel for that.

Staff took care of me while I was sick and offered a late check out. Bed was comfy and bath products were good.

• Premier Suite

parking was too expensive for guests and included TAX. Paid $57 for overnight parking.

Kimpton is my favorite hotel chains and the donovan is one of my favorite hotels! this was my firat experience w the suite, had the premier suite, which was gorg and the soaking tub was to die for! next time think i will upgrade to the presidential suite

• King Deluxe Room

No bar or tea/coffee facilities in the room, so couldn't get any drinks apart from the set times they were provided in the hotel reception. Also my Dad's bedroom wasn't serviced for 2 out of the 3 days

The hotel left a bottle of champagne and chocolates in my Dad's room for his birthday which was a lovely gesture

• King Deluxe Room

More choice of room service meals but that's really all.

The staff, especially Maggie (the desk clerk in the evening when we checked in) were superb. Really hands-on and friendly. They made a really positive impression.

• Deluxe Queen Room - Disability Access

all of the staffing - front desk, valet - makes a difference. Great hotel, great room, a real pleasure. Came in for Thanksgiving holiday. Will come back for business trips.

• Cityview King Studio

Most comfortable bed I’ve experienced in ages. Amazing city view of Thomas Circle from my bed. Large TV. Mini bar. Great shower. Everything very clean. Very polite and helpful staff. Close to monuments and museums. Very easy to find from Dulles airport (take Washington flyer bus to Metro silver line and simply continue to McPherson Square Station).

• Deluxe Queen Room - Disability Access

Rather have tub than shower & not be stared at menacingly by one young woman at checkout who, I suppose was new, but who refused to speak at all to answer any of my questions & seemed very angry that I'd bothered to ask her anything. Up to checkout, everyone was helpful, but that send~off was infuriating & sullied the otherwise good feeling about the place. All other staff from janitor to front desk we're super friendly & helpful, especially as one day was spent w my child sick in the room. The staff was enormously helpful on that day. Exciting rooftop pool closing every afternoon at either 4 or 5pm to make rooftop environment club~ready was a bummer for my child. Pretty good location as most museums close enough by for quick cab ride.

Most all staff were excellent,attentive & super helpful. We got great deal on off season rates with a spacious room with lovely view, very clean. Housekeeping was accommodating & friendly. All else quite nice. I really liked how staff greeted & answered many of my questions via text msgs!!!

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooftop pool, our 17 year old son could not enter the rooftop area after 4 pm because he was under aged, so we could not chill in the late afternoon near the pool which was one of the reasons why we chose this hotel; apart from that the pool was very small and the rooftop area seemed to serve mainly as a place where people met after work for drinks rather than as a place were hotel guests could relax.

Excellent location, comfortable beds and room, great shower, nice restaurant in the hotel as well as quite a few nice restaurants within a short walking distance

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• King Deluxe Room

no large towels on second day, did'nt realise till i was in the shower, had to dry on a hand towel, no coffee facilities, had to ask for them. charge extra $80 at end of stay for the FREE wifi! and the use of the poll and the roof-top bar, neither of which we used, bloody cheek, location not very close to anything

check in was ok. room not ready, had to go away and return

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

50$ a day parking, and you can't hold on to your keys. Valets were not always at their station

Staff want to go above and beyond to make sure your stay is excellent. Front desk was always looking for ways to help our stay be more pleasurable

• King Deluxe Room

Was a great place, would definitely come back

The parking was extremely convenient but very pricey. There were several rewards I didn't qualify for because I didn't book ahead of time, but was given one free night of parking, which was good.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Don't care much for the "futuristic" design of the showers. OK, but would rather have a more typically setup.

Loved the free coffee in the morning and the complimentary happy hour each evening. Location was perfect for our business needs. Overall excellent!!!!

• King Deluxe Room

Coffee was not great but was free to be fair.

The staff were all exceptionally polite and helpful. The facilities were clean and well maintained. The wine hour is a great idea as is the sushi that is served with it. We had dinner one night in the restaurant and loved the experience too. The cocktails by the pool are well named and delicious.

• Deluxe Queen Room

I thought the price was very high, but I needed to get a room after another hotel cancelled our reservation without notifying us. The Queen deluxe room was so small that there was no space except for the bed and one desk chair to sit-no armchair or comfortable recliner. Refrigerator was filled to capacity with very high priced snacks so it was hard to use it for any of our personal needs. Finally the restaurant was also pricey so we ate elsewhere for more variety. Overall we had a great visit to Washington, but woukd probably not stay here again.

Staff was friendly, helpful and very accommodating. Housekeeping service also excellent. Location made walking and the Metro very easy to get to places we wanted to see.

• Executive King Room with City View

Pool hours - ridiculous - pushed us out 10 to 4, no dry cleaning from Saturday to Sunday, gym is not worth mentioning a bid ancient

Good location for sightseeing, awesome sushi, great corner king room

• King Deluxe Room

The fact that the pool closed early st 4 pm so the rooftop lounge could start operating was disappointing. Pool could close later( 6 or 7 ) for people who've been walking all day seeing the sites.

View from room. Rooftop lounge was nice.

• Deluxe Queen Room - Disability Access

While the location is convenient it was incredibly noisy. Was awakened frequently by traffic noise despite being 8 floors up. No coffee in the room. Would not recommend staying for business or pleasure.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

The lobby area shabby, poorly lit and generally dull. No towel rails in bathroom.Housekeeping a little bit erratic towards the end of our nine night stay.

Rooms clean and modern. Toiletries generous and lovely quality. . Reception staff welcoming.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

• King Deluxe Room

A little more effort to get to the coffee without a coffee maker in the room (although this seems to be common among Kimptons).

Exceptionally helpful and pleasant staff; comfortable bed, delicious food!

• King Deluxe Room

The upstairs bar and pool were not open!

It was centrally located in the city and I want to commend the front door man for his help in getting us some dinner ideas and cabs.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• King Deluxe Room

The hall leading to our room and elevators need a little updating. Our carpet in room 1209 needs to be replaced.

Loved our upstairs corner room; the bed was very comfortable and we loved the spaciousness.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

Bathroom not made for tall people, you bump your head over the sink

I've never had such a fast internet, very convenient for sending big video files...which was my case for work. Free bike, cool way to discover DC. Very friendly staff

• King Deluxe Room

Room was small There was construction and it was really disruptive and noisy. We were only there for one day and half of that was spent trying to nap while the construction was going on. The staff was great, but it was a big inconvenience.

Location is great

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

• King Deluxe Room

Would have liked a real breakfast place on the property. But there is a limited amount of space due to it's city location.

It is great to find a good good quality hotel that allows dogs. We will always use Klimpton hotels for that reason. But the hotel is good in itself.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

• King Deluxe Room

I initially found the shower design disconcerting, but I got used to it!

The room was clean and comfortable, airy and bright. The staff were extremely helpful, and very apologetic about a water pipe break that meant there was a very short window in the middle of the night when they needed to turn the water off for repairs. (I didn't even notice, I just felt bad for the folks working on fixing a pipe at 3 AM)

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

• King Deluxe Room

There were a few housekeeping issues. The food from the previous guest was left in the mini fridge when we checked in. The tv remote was also missing from our room.

Good rate, about 20 minute walk from the White House. Free happy hour was very nice.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

I didn't like the fact that 100.00 in incidentals was takien from my card and that I have to wait 5 days to get it back because a portion was taken for parking when I think it should have been free

The location and the comfort

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Executive King Room

So, valet / parking was really confusing. I saw where I was likely supposed to park, so I pulled in a little. I was looking at the guys that were standing behind the booth and they looked at me, so I pulled in a bit more but they didn't say anything. I kept trying to signal them to tell me how this works, but they weren't saying anything, just sort of looking at me. Then I pulled in a little bit more, and one guy finally said, "Just park there," which was incredibly unspecific. Park where my car is already? Park in the garage that I've been inching toward? They said that and left, so I just pulled into the garage and parked into a spot. Then 5 minutes later, a guy found me in the garage and said he couldn't find us. Apparently we weren't supposed to park ourselves? There were no sins indicating it was valet only, merely the price to park. Additionally, the guys didn't actually communicate that with us until after I parked. What? Incredibly frustrating.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Executive King Room with City View

There was an issue with the hot water however that was resolved immediately. It didn't effect my experience or stay

I work in customer service and rarely leave comments because most times the people are simply doing their job however this staff was phenomenal. Staff was extremely friendly. Assisted me with going above and beyond with my request. Special thanks go to Maggie and Tyrone and tall guy from morning shift (forgot his name). Excellent location. Great view.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

The hotel seems a bit worn, best example was the toilet seat in my room was so worn that the wood was showing through the white finish.

The bed was a bit firm for me but was not an issue

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

The staff was amazing, really nice and they tried to do their best to satisfy us. They changed our room because they noticed that I was with my daughter and that a room with 2 beds will be more adequate. The location is good, with a metro station and bikes 2 blocks away. The room was perfect and we liked the bathroom really clean and modern.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

• Executive King Room with City View

The view is everything! We upgraded the room to city view and it's worth it. Also overall cleanliness and comfortable beds. Happy hours with tea/coffee or wine in lobby. Great place to stay.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

The TV went out in the morning. There was no signal, so I couldn't watch the news and the wifi was spotty.

The bath products, but I wish they would have provided travel sizes to take home.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• King Deluxe Room

The design of the shower was a little weird but kind of cool too. The price for parking in their garage is really high ($48/day) but we parked elsewhere.

They were really nice to our dog.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

Wifi was great quality, overnight parking costs (but that's the same everywhere in big cities)

Front desk friendly, good location, happy hr is a nice toug

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

• King Deluxe Room

Lobby area is very cold with fireplace but outside door not in seating area. Some general areas so signs of wear.

Comfortable bed great shower products

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Outside noise ,no facilities for working out and

Maggie front desk was very accommodating and very knowledgeable. Staff generally are courteous and solicitous. Promptly attends to requests

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

The most pet friendly property I've ever visited! Great city location with a park right outside for my Golden. The dog bed, bowls, treats were a great touch and made it a wonderful stay!

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

for the price, the amenities were terrible. No coffee or tea in the rooms. Anything extra was to be paid for. When asked to send a KETTLE to the room for tea, they brought up a jar of water. However the staff was very nice!

people were very helpful with whatever resources they had

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

• Executive King Room

DC's shops close on a Saturday

The fact that I got upgraded to a suite. The guy at the front desk who booked me a table at Joe's Stone Crab when I arrived late and tired. The CVS over the road. The many great restaurants and bars nearby on 14 St NW, north of Thomas Circle. The White House and Smithsonian museums being a walkable distance. The many vinyl record shops to browse in - e.g. Red Onion. The fact that everyone I met in DC thinks Trump should stay holed up in Trump Towers in New York.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• King Suite

There was a hole in the couch in the living area of the suite and stains on the carpet. Generally, it could use a facelift.

The bed was comfortable and the rooms were quiet.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Lovely expensive Japanese restaurant but no simple cafe, which would have been great. And in room, window didn't open and lighting was inadequate.

We could walk to White House and monuments. Staff wonderful, room great, complementary happy hour in lobby/lounge was charming.

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

Someone in adjoining room must have had a water leak into the corridor. A very noisy air blower was placed outside my room. It ran constantly for a day and a half. Maid service did not show up until 3 p.m. which interrupted nap after walking the city all day. My fault, I should have put "do not disturb" sign out. However, I was going to step out, so I asked them to come back in an hour, but they didn't come back until almost 5:30 p.m.--again interrupting getting dressed for dinner.

Great location within walking distance of the White House. Rooms are very comfortable and have stylish décor. Staff extra friendly and helpful. They arranged pickup right at the hotel for a night tour of the city, which I highly recommend.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

The price of parking was almost sixty dollars for one night at the hotel!

The room was beautiful along with the fantastic view. The location was within walking distance to the monuments.

• King Deluxe Room

The breakfast choice on the Sunday morning was poor. No cooked eggs apart from hard boiled. In the evening the restaurant serves a tapas style Asian cuisine - this is nonsense. How about a proper meal!

The room and bed were surpringly good.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Road noise ! Lots of sirens and general road noise The slowest lifts I've ever experienced You wait long periods once you push the call button

Roof top pool

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• King Deluxe Room

The pool was extremely too small

We had a wonderful time here e everything was clean and just like the pictures. The bathroom was amazing I loved every minute of the over head shower. The staff was amazingly nice and more than willing to oblige to all of our requests.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• King Deluxe Room

rooftop bartenders were over worked.. Two bartenders on the weekend is unacceptable specially if the rooftop is open for public use as well

ront desk staffs were very helpful polite, and happy which made me happy . They were awesome.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• King Deluxe Room

The only thing that I didn't like was that the the roof top pool wasn't open and that was part of the reason I wanted to stay at this hotel.

The staff was wonderful especially Amber....she was very helpful and accommodating. The bed was amazing and I think I would stay here again.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

• King Deluxe Room

Pool closing at 4pm; could overlap with bar opening until sundown.

Pool and roof top bar, service oriented staff, restaurant superb, room design awesome, close to everything.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• King Deluxe Room

Rooftop pool was awesome, but at night it got kind of loud in the elevators if you were trying to get downstairs because of all the traffic up and down.

LOVED the staff! There was a man at the front desk who had a name starting with "F" that was so helpful!

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

The price was unreasonably high. I spent $560+ for only one night. I booked the hotel kind of late, but still... too expensive.

The staffs were very nice. The air conditioner didn't work very well in my room. They sent an engineer to get it fixed very quickly.

• Cityview King Studio

No coffee maker in the room. I have never seen a hotel room without one.

A beautiful spacious room. The staff are excellent

• Cityview Executive Suite

My room wasn’t ready at the time of checkin

Spacious & great location

• King Deluxe Room

Staff very helpful and pleasant!

• King Deluxe Room

The service at breakfast was rather slow.

• Executive King Room with City View

Thought there would be an indoor pool.

Room was small but nice.

Pets.

Did not like all the pets.

• Standard Room

THE STAFF TEXTED ME A COUPLE OF TIMES ON MY TRIP TO CONFIRM A FEW QUESTIONS I HAD AND TO MAKE SURE I WAS PLEASED.

Restaurant dinner entres

The closeness to everything.

I like everything

I did not eat there

Everything was great

Awesome shower, awesome staff

• Executive King Room

The staff was exceptionally friendly, relaxed and helpful. I was very impressed.

Parking