Reviews of Kimpton Mason & Rook Hotel 5 stars

1430 Rhode Island Avenue North West , Northwest, Washington, DC 20005, USA

#76 of 138 hotels in Washington

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The breakfast experience was not great. Miss communication with staff and the pancakes were not good at all

The service was great and rooms were very comfortable. Foyer staff and seating area were nice and it was in a great location for our purpose.

• Standard Room

I didn't like being asked to get out of the pool because the bar was open. I wasn't drinking.

Staff was friendly. Rooftop patio and pool were great.

• Executive King Studio

I felt the cleanliness in the room was not great, especially the bathroom which smelled of stale water. We also overlooked the rubbish bins in the back of the property which I would not have minded had the room been spotless.

I was very happy with almost everything in the hotel especially the friendliness of the staff and the location was great.

• Executive King Studio

Outdoor restaurant (right outside and under guest room window) doesn’t close until after midnight on weeekends and noise level doesn’t allow for restful night sleep nor do partying guests walking loudly through hallways at 2am.

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Noisy air conditioner, small room - even upgraded ! Not worthy for this price. Very, very poor shower - space is comfortable but pressure is weak so with only upper stream it takes long time to wash long hair. No complementary water ! in the room - only paid for $6 ! No complementary hot water/ tea or coffee for guest during the day. - no kettle in your room.

Location is really good with walking distance to the all important museums and monuments. Stuff is very kind and helpful. Free bike rental :) 7-6 pm free glass of wine and popcorn in the lobby, water with lemon to drink during day in the same place.

• Standard Room

The heating/airco is outdated. It blows extremely hot or cold. It is loud. Without it the room was cold. The hotel had no international plug adaptors - despite a note in the room saying they could provide everything. When i asked the staff were unhelpful. There was no hot water in the shower in the evenings. The hotel could not launder a shirt in 24h. The restaurant is only open in the evening.

The doorman was very nice and friendly. The room service waitress friendly. The service reported that my door had a do not disturb notice all day (which I didn’t put). They texted to ask if they could service the room.

• Studio with Two Queen Beds and Roll-in Shower

Service could be better, I booked a suite and I had the wrong room then the room they moved me too was slightly bigger but still wasn’t the room I booked...made it a little disappointing but whatever we still made do. Oh heads up on the 250 security deposit. Overall 6.5/10 very beautiful though.

Very pretty lobby, very chic and upscale vibe. The property is small yet spacious. The staff is very kind.

• Queen Studio with Two Queen Beds, Spa Bath, and City View

I wish it had an indoor swimming pool and the hotel parking was expensive at $50 per night for guests.

The property was extremely clean the staff was courteous and attentive and the decor was really cool. My family and I had a great time, it was an amazing deal for the price. We will definitely be returning to this property and we would recommend it to others.

• Executive King Studio with City View

The shower had no pressure. No coffee machine in the bedroom. At first, the front desk put me in a room with windows facing a wall while I'd payed for a city view. No room service at night, like having a cup of milk or hot chocolate in the room.

Comfy bed and spacious room. Great hair dryer. Air conditioner/heater works beautifully. Silent room.

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I really loved this place...if I was going to say anything negative and it is a small gripe, my only knock is the carpet in my room was a little stained. Otherwise the room was spotless and super comfortable.

Professional competent staff all around. Modern chic decor, seriously comfortable clean beds and bathroom, free wine/hot chocolate hour at 5pm, free loaner bikes!!

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Wonderful service. Good location Specias room very clean and up dated design. Complimentry cafe/tea in the morning and win in the afternoon

• Executive King Room

the soap and shampoo system i don't like, i prefer the single portion

I love the big table in front of the window, really spacious for work. i love the bathroom and the light in the room. i really like stay there and my last two time in DC i choose this hotel and i will stay also in my next month visit.

• Executive King Room

Mattress was not comfortable and the sink in our room only gave you super cold or super hot water.

Great cocktails, breakfast was good, linens were soft, room was super quiet.

• Executive King Studio with City View

As a 4 Star hotel I was disappointed that they didn't offer Netflix or even HBO. The bottled water in the room was not complimentary, but instead was part of the mini bar for $6. We ordered room service off the late night menu and it didn't arrive until after we cancelled it (1.5 hours later). Then we were told the kitchen was closed and they has to find someone to make it?? Regardless at almost $500 a night this is not the service I'm used to. I will take my business to the Gaylord.

The room was very nice. The neighborhood was full of great restaurants and bars. Plenty of taxi's to get around. Staff was pleasant. Hotel was clean.

• Studio with Two Queen Beds and Roll-in Shower

Slightly dark in the rooms

The hotel rooms were spacious with a great wardrobe area between the bathroom and showr room. The staff were really friendly and professional. The was a nice wine reception in the evening which was free. Great to have yoga mat in the room and enough gym equipment for size of hotel.

• Executive King Room

Bathroom light didn’t work, toilet didn’t flush properly. TV didn’t have guide installed. Dirty glass was left outside the room in the hallway and stayed there for a day.

Location, roof pool, vibe, size of room

• Executive King Studio

Under-staffed property, which explains team gets easily overwhelmed; guests share elevators with staff/cleaning/delivery. Questionable cleanliness (ie urine smell in one of the elevators).

• Executive King Room

Bad food, ugly bathrooms, very noisy hotel (the minibar sounds like a industrial fridge and there are multiple unknown sounds through night and day that are clearly from the hotel - like pipes, doors, etc) and obsolete in this 2017, there's no way of streaming something from your laptop or your phone to the room's tv.

Great location, nice design in general, spacious room, comfortable bed, good wifi, good service.

Mason & Rook is a lovely hotel in a great location. The rooms and bathrooms are really spacious. The decor is stylish, but still comfortable. Every member of the staff was so friendly and helpful.

• Executive King Room

The staff didn`t know very what to do, we had some problems with payments. They didn`t tell us we would be charged around $60 per night to park the car. Also on the website they said they have free bikes but early in the morning they didn`t have any available for us. The check out took to long, except fot the day before that they checked us out by mistake when we were out of the hotel.

The room was clean and very nice, you can tell it is a new building and everything is new and nice.

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

On arrival I wasn't told about a $879 hold on my card. My permission wasn't given and no one xplanation was described to me. There was no mention whatsoever. After checkout my bank balance showed 3 transactions totaling $1,234 which placed my acccount overdrawn. On calling the hotel I was told by a rude female front desk team member, not to worry as it will be returned. She could explain the why that amount had been taken or when it would be returned. I asked for her manager. The manager (Justin) did explain why such an amount had been taken. Roughly $400 had been held in an error he couldnt explain why, this was over 2 separate transactions. I explained being overdrawn. He said he would cover the charge from my bank. He also said he would call the bank and get the hold released asap and call me back. He did call back saying I had to call the bank to get Fax details so that he could send a fax requesting the hold to be released. I did this, and called Justin. I explained at 7.49pm that if he could send the fax by 9pm the bank would solve the issue today. I had family visiting and was due out for dinner that evening but had no money for the restaurant thanks to Justin and his team. Justin assured me he would act immediately and apologized. 8,50pm my bank called me to confirm that they had not revived any fax from Justin. I called the hotel. Justin had left for the evening. I asked to speak to the duty manager who was with another customer. They took my cell number promising to call back. No one called me back. A friend had to pay my part of the check as I have no money. My bank has said the hold won't be removed earliest until Monday next week. I have family visiting from the U.K. and no money for any of my vacation with them. The hotel was rude, unhelpful, dismissive and untrustworthy. I am very dissapointed and would like a refund. My situation is VERY stressful and unfair.

• Executive King Room

On site coffee shop as there was no tea and coffee in room and the nearest one is a good 20 minutes away not good in a morning

Nice area quiet hotel room nice and big and cleaned every day very nice helpful staff especially the lady at check in

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The pool and poolbar were not so great. Not enough towels. Personel not so kind at the pool bar. Bicycles a little bit old, but free. Still it was a very nice hotel and we enjoyed our stay.

We loved the room,big bathroom and the free bicycles. Good location.

Restaurant expensive

Very clean, very modern, good restaurant,little pricey Got reservation wrong but took care of error,updated our room, would stay again and again

• Executive King Studio

The hallways outside the rooms were not decorated as nicely as the lobby or the rooms and had a musty odor. Outside bar was noisy and could be heard even up on the 8th floor.

Comfortable, nicely decorated and spacious room

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The hotel was advertised as being family-friendly for the pool, but the pool has very limited hours due to the rooftop bar, which did not allow minors. That mildly conflicting advertising caused some stress with the kids, as they felt the hotel was not being very welcoming to them (we have a pool but you can't go there).

The hotel staff was amazing-- engaging, friendly, and quick to ask what we needed and help us address any issues.

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

You have to be patient with the valet parking.

Great location, friendly stuff, small but great pool at the rooftop. A lot of the sights more or less in walking distance.

• Executive King Studio with City View

Toenail floated up when the tub was filled. Probably no one's fault but kind of gross. OK location, a bit far for sight seeing.

Comfy bed, great front desk staff.

• Executive Queen Room with City View

The rooms and hallways were very humid. The lamb tacos made me sad. They were salty and dry.The food, meh.

The employees were wonderful! The carpet was stained ( if you're bothered by stuff like that) the bed was nice though! Bathroom was really nice and clean. Rooftop was cool, could of had way better music but, the ambiance made it perfect for conversating with the person you are with.

Service appalling, swmimming pool tiny and closed after 4pm, swimming pool bar opens from 4pm, staff is arrogant, uninterested and untrained. Restaurant terrible, tiny portions, served its different times so impossibility to have a proper family meal. Breakfast took. more than 45 minutes for some eggs.

• Executive King Room

The staff was very accommodating and friendly. Vance, Stephanie and Saquan were all amazing and made the stay that much better!! They made sure I had everything I needed during my stay. I appreciated the text messages as well. Very nice touch!

• Studio with Two Queen Beds and Roll-in Shower

The staff is not very nice. The invoice is wrong the first time with one more night of parking. They then fixed that, but later on my credit card was charged with some other fees. I don't know what is that for, but I don't really care.

The property is fairly close to all the tourist sites. There are quite a few restaurants nearby.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• King Room - Disability Access

see above

our first room was on the same side as the restaurant- that night (a Friday) there was party in the restaurant that spilled over onto the terrace- and so it was incredibly noisy until after 11 pm- the hotel switched us to the other side for our next night stay

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Studio with Two Queen Beds and Roll-in Shower

Pool opening hours - terrible if visiting for business. Breakfast buffet options were limited.

Room was brilliant and really comfortable. Rooftop bar - fabulous!

• Executive King Room

Loved the huge rooms. We made use of the free bike hire and saw most of the sights in one day! The staff are amazing and friendly. Wish we had time to play chess in the lobby. Hotel is close to a a street full of restaurants, bars & coffee.

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Parking is a bit difficult here, as only street parking or valet are viable options in my opinion. I opted to valet my car which was convenient yet expensive, the valet attendants were great. It isn't necessarily something Kimpton can change given the tightly compact surrounding area, but still leaves something to be desired in terms of parking options.

Roof-top bar and pool provided at scenic view of the city while providing quality drinks and entertainment. Room was high quality and very modern. Staff were exceptional from check-in to check-out.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

• Executive King Room

The manager was awful and had no understanding of the situation we were in with kids and old people in our group. she was so tricked and wanted to send us away since we wanted to pay cash for our first night and we came from over sees and had to activated credit card the next day, but she did not accept and wanted to through out our group of 10 with no other hotel reservation she did not even helped us get another hotel reservation even seeing our situation. the breakfast was aw full and the staff in the restaurant were so slow you would changed your mind having breakfast at all.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Executive King Studio

Limited to 2 devices access to free wireless. I had phone, iPad, and laptop so not optimal. Dining choices are limited but many restaurants nearby.

Comfy bed, good amenities in bath, wireless only allows 2 devices to access so not optimal, dining options are very limited. Front desk staff very welcoming and efficient.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

• Executive King Room

Breakfast was so poor i cant even tell. And the cafe 's staffwere un organized and not listening. It took 45 minutes fir each breakfast to be served.

The manager was no help at all and very un friendly. Was not considered at all for the guests

• Executive King Studio with City View

The "city view" was of a back alley. There should have been a fan and a tub in the bathroom for the price of the room.

The style and overall feel of the hotel. Very comfortable and clean and great service and ability to hold conversations by the entire staff.

• Executive King Room

The bed was uncomfortable, matress needs to be replaced. The breakfast on the weekends starts too late!

Location and vibe of the hotel. Enjoyed the restaurant.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

• Executive King Room

Absolutely beautiful. Very modern but comfortable. Best bed and the toiletries smelled fantastic! The staff was so helpful and knew all of the great places to eat. There is a happy hour with nice wine and then early morning they had coffee. Just overall great place.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Queen Studio with Two Queen Beds, Spa Bath, and City View

We didn't mind it, but the bedroom of our suite was above the outside lounge which was loud on a Saturday night.

Beautiful property with attentive staff in a residential neighborhood: filled with energy, great restaurants and a Whole Foods.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

• Queen Studio with Two Queen Beds, Spa Bath, and City View

I wish that housekeeping had left fresh towels or made up our bed during the stay. Also, there weren't very many trash cans in the room.

Beautiful hotel and the staff was very friendly

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Seating in restaurant. Don't like high chairs. Then sit alone in big corner table. Probably can't fix this.

Food was excellent in the restaurant. We held event in the Radiator. The young man who served us was exceptional. He kept everyone happy and was so pleasant. Got extra help from lady at desk for boarding pass. She was so great. Restaurant manager was terrific.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Executive King Room

What an incredible property. Clinically clean, modern, tasteful, chic. The food and bar was fabulous. I also and an incredible burger and fries from rook service. I was very impressed.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

Not Applicable.

Service staff was excellent. Restaurant was awkward. It didn't seem set up for serving breakfast or lunch. Better st dinner. Happy Hour was very nice.

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

• Executive King Room

My only complaint was $50 parking fees per night.

Large, well appointed rooms. Great location - within walking distance of excellent restaurants and coffee shops. Safe area, staff was outstanding. Check out Nail Saloon for a pedicure, less than two blocks away. Best Kimpton I have stayed in yet, highly recommended.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Executive King Room

One of the top hotels in DC. Great room, spacious and clean. The Huge TV made all the difference. The room was equipped with a 65'' TV which was impressive. The location of the hotel was perfect as everything in DC became a walking distance. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We loved our stay!

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

• Executive King Room

Food at the Radiator was great but I would like a few "basic" choices.

The staff were very professional and friendly. The bed was comfortable and I heard very little noise outside of the room.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Executive King Room

No coffee maker in the room (although free coffee was available in the lobby).

Very comfortable and spacious room, with excellent design. Radiator restaurant patio is a fun spot for drinks and food, and the cocktails and bar snacks were innovative and delicious.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Premier Spa Suite

They couldn't control this but there was construction across the street that started at 7:30 every morning and looks like it will be ongoing for some time. Also I'm not sure the windows are double pained. We could hear street noise pretty clearly and we were on the 10th floor.

Great location near 14th street restaurant and bars.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• Executive King Room

Construction was so noisy, they should post when they are doing that. Rug was stained in the room, would have liked to receive a walking map when we arrived. Paid for the view room, just a view of construction. The bar was overpriced ($12 for a beer)

Incredible location, walking distance to everything. Love the dog friendly (even though we didn't bring ours). Sleek and modern, good (but pricey) bar/restaurant. Cute side-street and excellent restaurants near by on 14th street!

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Executive King Room

The coffee machine should be kept in the room, (with decent coffee) and not upon request. As I was pulling the bedside table out to find a plug for my phone, I found a very dusty beer bottle and box of ear plugs. Lastly, which is more me being picky than anything, but instead of a fitted sheet on the mattress, house keeping tucked in a flat sheet instead. It became undone throughout the night and a bit uncomfortable.

The room was super spacious and the decor was superb. Staff was always friendly.

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

housekeeping was poor, didn't replace items, had to call for towels and amenities no coffee maker in room room service tray not picked up all day, had to call front desk for pick up 3 times staff didn't seem well trained or organised

big room, big TV

• Executive King Room

My second night was really loud- even though my room was on the 8th floor, it overlooked the outdoor bar and it was super noisy. I had particularly asked for a quiet room as I was in DC for a conference- perhaps the more central rooms were less loud..but I didn't get much sleep friday night despite the beautfiul room.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Executive King Room with City View

Shower door poored water on floor every shower.

The room was beautiful. But what really made this hotel outstanding was the amazing staff! Helpful and friendly at every encounter.

• Executive King Studio

Although our room was "cleaned" while we were at breakfast, they did not remove dirty bathroom glass or clean up the floor. I was also surprised when there was only one bathrobe and one washcloth on arrival.

Loved the rooftop pool and bar, loved the full size products in bath, loved large flat screen tv

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Took awhile (4 hours and 3 phone calls) the second night to get towels for our family which put a strain on getting ready for dinner reservations.

Hotel was very nice. Staff was very accommodating and helped us get a room for our family to be together.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Studio with Two Queen Beds and Roll-in Shower

Cost of parking on site was high. The room lighting was poor & no seats in room. No coffee & tea making in the room until we asked & then were told it was free - but only on request!

Good location. Helpful concierge & desk team.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and City View

-Pool time could've been a little later than 5pm. We arrived around 4 and weren't able to enjoy the pool for all that long since it closed so early. -While we loved our room, the only downside to the beautiful glass shower doors, is that no one else can use the toilet if someone is in the shower! -only 1 elevator could be a little slow, but thankfully, we were able to utilize the stairs easily so we did most of the time. -right next to the door on almost every stairwell was garbage that just piled up. Some floors had an overflow of garbage, so it wasn't the nicest thing to look at, but I get it, people just kept piling it up. Just an eye sore. -The person that was in charge of headcount at the rooftop bar was not so pleasant at first. I brought my kids up to the roof to take a few pictures of the night views and she rudely told us to come back up in the morning, to which I told her it's NOT dark in the morning. She then said, "then I have to stay right here and watch you guys." I understand that children aren't allowed at the bar, but we were literally in the corner as you walked up, just to take a picture...so I asked her to take it for us, since she was just watching us anyway. I got to be in the pic.. so WIN for me :). Her approach was just a bit brash. We left the rooftop as soon as we were done with the picture.

We, as a family absolutely loved this hotel. The overall feel of the hotel is so modern, and sheik. It is an absolute gem, in a great neighborhood. Perfect walking distance to so many restaurants, convenience stores and Whole Foods. The lobby has a great ambiance. We loved the water/tea/wine buffet and coffee in the morning. The room had ample space for all of us. The kids loved the GIANT TV in the room. The restaurant had excellent food, and the bartender was very accommodating! She had excellent drink recommendations!

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Premier Spa Suite

Hotel in fact is 4 stars No slippers , no bath robes, swimming pool on the roof is a joke (3x3 m) Our room was not made up next day of our stay

Location is great, walking distance to all major sightseens Rooms are big and well equipped

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

They charged my card more than what the reservation I booked on your website. It should have been mentioned when I checked in. I had to wait for the hold to fall off. Also, parking was $50 plus a night.

The bed was very comfortable. Shower was amazing. TV was huge and in HD.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

• Executive King Studio with City View

Worst kimpton hotel in DC. They will try to charge you $350 if you leave anything in the room after check out; yet no housekeeping.

booked a city view they gave me a view of dumpsters. discrimination isn't even the word to describe how me and my friends were treated, no room service, no housekeeping nothing. tried to bill me $350 for absolutely nothing. of all the kimpton hotels in DC this is the worst experience I've ever had in my life.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

• Executive Queen Room with City View

The staff was so cool, made me feel like i could ask them for anything! I felt like family there! Boutique style hotel done right, huge 65inch flat screen in room! Whole foods, starbucks bars one street over! Roof top pool was perfect, small but perfect! Rooftop bar was cool at night! Im def going back!!

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Executive King Room

Restaurant is a bit pricey. Recommend eating at the local restaurants near the neighborhood. Also, parking is super expensive.

Amazing hotel. Staff super friendly.i highly recommend the lounge because of its amazing view of DC.

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

• Executive King Room

An Incompetent staff member at the reception who overcharged my credit card and caused me a tremendous unjustified stress thereby exacerbating my medical condition.

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

• Executive King Room with City View

Room service way too expensive. The fitness room is very tiny, basically you can only run.

Very new and stlish hotel in a good location. Staff very friendly and helpful. Nice pool on the roof top.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Executive King Room

The room was a little on the small side but still comfortable. I also came home with a lot of bug bites. I woke up each morning with new ones so I am a bit concerned that there were bed bugs. :-/

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

• Executive Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and City View

Have to pay extra for WiFi and it wasn't very good. Seems in today's world, there should be fast WiFi in every hotel. They did refund the WiFi charges without question which was great.

Great location for seeing the sites. Very comfortable room.

• Standard Room

Restaurant lacking a bit in terms of variety.

Room layout, design (decor), and the large flat screen tv.

It wasn’t super clean.

Interior design was nice. Big room, lots of space. Nice lobby and reception to hang out.

• Executive King Studio

Our room service, the breakfast was cold.

Loved our room. Very spacious.

Excellent food and wine at the on-sight restaurant The Radiator

• Executive King Studio

My daughter and I loved everything about this hotel. The staff went above and beyond from the moment we arrived.