Reviews of King George 3 stars

334 Mason Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA

#90 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

• Superior Queen Room

Room was extremely small and so was the bathroom. We could barely move around.

The hotel in entirety was beautiful, staff was super nice, and I love the location.

• Superior Queen Room

Just the rooms are small and dark. Almost impossible to work on the desk in the room. WiFi was very slow in the room

nice boutique hotel w/ excellent location. The lobby is great and very helpfull staff. perfect for pleasure trips

• Superior Twin Room

Tiny and very noisy room as windows are old. No aircon. No drinking water. Room missing items and staff didn't apologise. Beds tiny and mattress slides off. Covers thin.

Nice bar though little selection. Clean bathroom.

• Superior Queen Room

The rooms/bathrooms are quite small but I think that's just what you get in San Fran! The other thing I noticed is that the room doors don't have a soft close so I was woken up a few times by people leaving and their doors slamming. Housekeeping also came around quite early for me (around 9am) so if you're not planning on leaving before then I would recommended putting on your do not disturb sign.

Great location, super close to Union Square and the overall decor of the hotel was very boutique luxury.

• Superior King Room

Soooo hot in the room! Aircon unit heated the room 😕 Plumbing was sooo noisy- next door we were woken when their shower went on by a high screeching noise and when we used ours the pipes banged & crashed waking any neighbouring rooms!! Drab decor. Small room. Poor value for money 😔

Nice reception area but lead you into a false sense of security thinking your room will be as nice!

• Superior Queen Room

Zero water pressure! I almost tripped and slipped in the shower since there was residual soap/cleaner on the floor. The elevator is awful, and can only take 4 adults without smushing everyone inside. You will wait forever with this since the employees use it too. The stairs spiral, and while it’s a cute idea I started getting dizzy going down.

Location Bed and pillows were comfy.

• Superior Queen Room

I got it as a genius deal, so the price was good. If full-priced, it would be a bit too expensive, but again it's San Francisco.

Very nice hotel with all amenities and great location. Room looked renovated and spotless. We were able to check in 3h before expected. Very helpful staff. Happy with the experience overall.

• Superior Queen Room

When using the toilet your awfully close to sink This was ultimately my biggest complaint

I liked my overall experience great staff cozy room great complimentary soaps to use in the bathroom Awesome spiral stair case if you choose to avoid the elevator it’s definitely an experience in itself

• Superior King Room

The bed was very hard. There was no air conditioning. There was a fan in the room. We didn't figure out how to operate it until we were leaving. Ridiculous. This little weird thing on the wall behind the door. With no air conditioning, you'd think there'd be a clicker by the bed. We had to open the window, which was above the roof of a commercial building with very loud equipment on the roof. Charming.

Staff was generally cheerful.

• Superior Queen Room

Room was not very clean. Only one bar of soap at sink to share with person in the shower. Ridiculous! No refrigerator in the room. Had to ask for one to be delivered. The room had a coffee pot but no coffee pods available on day two. Had to ask for coffee to be delivered.

• Superior Queen Room

Building works going on next door very noisey and started very early even on a sunday. Expensive parking

Convenient location. Bar area updated looks good

• Superior Queen Room

First of all the reception staff are not experienced at all except for only one Asian lady. I checked in on Friday evening using my debit card and got to my room and when out and back in for two times with no issues, And the next day I went out for some shopping and when I got back I found the room locked an I couldn't get in. After checking with the guy in the reception he told me that there is an issue with my debit card!!! They waited a day and a half to figure out there is a problem and they locked me out of the room with my stuff inside. Second, and most important, I had my laptop STOLEN. I left my luggage in the hotel after checkout cause my flight wasn't until 6 pm, they tagged my luggage and my backpack (which had my laptop) and gave me a ticket to retrieve them before I leave to the airport. When I got back @ 3 to collect my luggage they couldn't find the backpack!!! although every thing is kept in a locked room which only the staff have access to. They tried to tell me I only checked in three bags which is stupid of them because the ticket they gave me says 4 bags. Anyway I asked them to check the security cameras, and after waiting for 30 mins!! they claimed that the cameras were not working!!!! Clearly they were trying to waste time because they knew I had to leave to catch my flight and they wanted me to forget about it and just go, and the guy on the front desk was shocked when I told him that I have a colleague living near San Francisco who will be following up with them. After she contacted them and spoke with the manager, they claimed that they checked the cameras (which they told me were not working) and didn't find anything suspicious. My colleague filed a police report and still till now 8 days later we didn't hear back from the hotel and they didn't even apologize or admit it's their responsibility. I'm not even going to bother talking about the room cleanliness or the facilities quality.

The location is good, very close to union square and most of shopping areas.

• Superior Queen Room

My friend lost laptop bag at King George. We left our bags after checkout with them, came back to find one lost bag that had a laptop, the stuff was acting so normal, just saying we can not find it, then tried to lie saying the got only 3 bags instead of 4, we show them the badges the 7 gave us saying 4 bags they went to look again, we asked them to check the cameras, they replied after couple of hours saying it was not working! They did not even apologize, all they did is gave us some "branded pins"! on a sperate note, the bathroom was not clean, you can see some hair sticking on the ground here and there!

• Superior Queen Room

Wish we had a fridge in the room.

Location is great, room is coozy and quiet. Ask for a room on the right side of the hotel since there is construction on the left side.

• Superior Queen Room

Room was tiny, I asked for a top floor and they gave us a room with a window looking at another wall. Seems really lux in the photos but it is not

Good Location

• Superior Queen Room

Very noisy room, could work for early birds. When staying Try to get the quietest and tallest room available

Amazing location on union square. Nice shower.

• Superior Queen Room

Wi-Fi in room is slow , fast in lobby.

Service is beyond amazing, they gave me an early check in Nd late checkout, rooms are very tight, location is perfect.

• Superior King Room

Only one elevator and it was really slow, and would full up fast. I stayed on the 5th floor and had to hike 5 flights of stairs to my room each time I left the hotel.

Old fashion building but has modern updates, rooms are cozy with tasteful art along the walls.

• Superior Queen Room

Noise - we were on the top floor and could still hear a lot of noise from the street and the building works next door. The windows are not isolated (especially the bathroom one), so you might want to ask for a room which doesn't face the street. Wifi - barely reached my room, had to either come to the lift area, or go down to the lobby to be able to open an email. Size - I guess this is normal for San Fran, the room was small but OK, the bathroom however was extremely small did not fit 2 people. But for a couple of nights, with a small suitcase, it's absolutely fine.

Location - around the corner from the Union Sq, and a couple blocks away from the BART station, very convenient for airport travels. There's a lounge in the lobby with very very comfortable couches, where you can help yourself to water with lemon. Everything was clean. Very comfortable bed! Those high beds that you almost need to jump on, and then gets you all cozy and cuddled.

• Superior Queen Room

The hotel is a few blocks from the infamous, dodgy Tenderloin so you need to be aware not to wander there after dark as it may not be safe. The rooms are a bit like in Paris-just enough in size; my bathroom was miniscule; yet it doesnt really matter, you won’t spend there too much time, anyway!

The property is in the heart of the city- close to shopping/Union Square, fantastic art galleries and Museum of Art, with some really nice restaurants, Chinatown and Financial District nearby. The rooms were just renovated as everything was new and shiny in my room-including floors and the bath. The staff was amazing-friendly, helpful and accomodating. The bar has some really good wine (try the merlot), and the lobby is really cozy - you can work or relax there for hours. They have in-house ATM and free “spa water” for guests. 5 mins walk from the hotel there is a direct train to the airport. I will be staying there again-it is really good value for money.

• Superior Queen Room

They were doing construction outside our window, woke us up at 6:00 am both days. Rooms very small, had to open the window to see in the mirror after a shower.

Front desk staff was nice

• Superior Queen Room

The bartender was quite unfriendly; the curtains in our room were completely torn up and there was no hot water for showers in the morning.

The old fashioned classic atmosphere: the bed is amazing, and the location is excellent.

• Superior Queen Room

Room was very hot despite given the old radiator style heating. If the window was able to open more than a few inches, this wouldn’t be a problem.

Staff was friendly and welcoming and rooms were clean and cozy

• Superior Queen Room

It was really cold, the windows were thin and the radiator never did get warm (it's the end of February, SF is COLD!) Warm water took like 10 minutes to appear, but I guess that's OK for the top floor of an old building

It was central and I had a room on the 8th floor which was quiet. The bathroom was quite nice and had a bathtub. There were plenty of USB ports in the room for charging stuff.

• Superior Queen Room

The room was VERY small in comparison for another hotel I had paid the same price for on the same road a few days before. (I mixed hotels up as I had to head out of Central for a couple of days for work). Also - SF was really cold for a few days that we were there an we only had 2 quite old blankets to keep ourselves warm. I ended up wearing a wooly hat, jumper and tracky pants to bed...

The location is perfect. Right next to Union Square and the tram/bus stop is really nearby to get down to the Wharf or up to the Castro. Downstairs in the hotel there is a pool table, darts, curling and chess, with comfy lounge chairs and a bar

• Superior Twin Room

Elevators were slow and didn’t always respond correctly to the UP or DOWN buttons.

Beds are super comfy. Bldg is old but bathroom was nicely updated and clean. Valet service to park car was convenient. I left my phone charger in my room when i checked out and housekeeping had it ready for me to pick up a few days later. Simple phone call.

• Superior Queen Room

Hotel bar very soulless and closed extremely early - 8.15pm one night! Not really any other facilities at the hotel; no food, no gym (the one up the road available for guests' use mentioned in the description was $20 a day). Single glazed windows in the bathrooms made for extremely cold mornings - and extremely cold nights when I forgot to shut the en suite door!

Location absolutely perfect to walk into the city centre shopping area. Less than 5 minutes walk. Clean rooms, staff flexible, helpful and professional. Free coffee in the bar in the mornings was a nice touch; it took me 3 days to realise it was there though! Good choice of local craft beers.

• Superior Queen Room

If this was not historic San Francisco I would have been looking for a larger room with refrigerator and microwave in the room. But this location and ambience of older charm is well worth the trade off.

This is an older venue but they have remodeled and it is very nice. The bed was extra comfy. Our room was quiet but in the back with frosted window and no view,. If you want a view you may have more street noise also unless you get a higher floor. This location was perfect for us. Just short walking distance to blues club, theater, restaurants and parking right across the street. We did not use the valet parking since we didn't need in and out access. They had a great capsule coffee maker in the room and provided plenty of capsules!

• Superior Queen Room

Somewhat noisy neighbourhood with street noise waking one up.

Comfortable bed and room. Friendly front staff. Well located and easy walking distance to transport and shops. Chinatown within 15 mins walk.

• Superior Queen Room

Valet parking was the only option and it was a little expensive but totally worth it.

The hotel was beautiful, the staff was friendly and the location couldn't have been better. We booked this trip very last minute and we really lucked out. We didn't stick around for breakfast but I think there was a kitchen in the lobby.

• Superior Queen Room

The room was a little small, restroom door handle is rusty and hard to close, and the placement of the tables in the room is awkward and inconvenient.

Loved that the room had an iPAD to request services, faculty were always super supportive and arrived to rooms on time with any items or services requested, and the room was always clean. Front desk staff even held our luggage after we checked out so that we can enjoy the city more!

• Superior Queen Room

Lack or hotel facilities. No pool. Everywhere was non smoking. The room was ok but for the price we paid I would rather pay that pice for a nice place in Napa and drive to San Francisco

• Superior Queen Room

The internet connection was spotty at my room and they rebooted a couple of times and it didnt work. There is a construction site next to the hotel and it can be very noisy during weekdays. The tub drain was very slow.

Location and price

• Superior Twin Room

The twin beds were small, smaller than i expected, so i upgraded to the room to a king size bed, the bed was nice but higher than i'm used to. Staff was nice and helpfull, location is excellent. Diner across the street was worth to try !!

• Superior Queen Room

This is a quaint hotel with an amazing location - very near Union Square. The block feels safe, even at midnight, with the parking garage just across the street. And the price is so affordable! It's truly a hidden gem. My daughter and I will definitely stay again.

• Superior Queen Room

There were no refrigerators and the WiFi was difficult to access.

The staff was very nice and accommodating. The property is located near down town which is a plus.

• Superior Twin Room

We've stayed here many times but this overnight was odd to say the least. The first room we were assigned was dripping wet, hot and humid because somebody had left the sink anad bathrub taps running hot and full blast. The substitute rooms was lovely until we returned from breakfast and could not get in. A kind, polite but frustrated workman struggled several hours to get the door unlocked. It's agood thing the hotel is undergoing renovations... and we hope all the qurks get fixed before we return next year.

Helpful people in spite of major mishaps.

• Superior Queen Room

Lift was out of service for a few day. No hot water at all or, if you are on a lucky day, huge delays before water gets warm (>10 min). No lobby (under construction)

Location is good

• Superior Twin Room

Noise have stayed at a great many hotels all over the world - this was by far the noisiest; the hotel was not clean except for the room; the elevator was out of order a couple of days - we were on the 5th floor - very bad stairway for this 78 year old - would have expected at least a discount. Would not recommend to anybody!

Proximity to shops, transportation, restaurants

• Superior Queen Room

Constructions in the basement...

It's a nice hotel and has an individual style. Service was very attentive and helped with all inquiries quickly. There were construction works on one side of the hotel, so we were able to switch rooms without any problems. We were in SF for a conference and didn't want to stay in the much more expensive conference hotel. Very good rate for this location.

• Superior Queen Room

The hotel is under construction inside and out. No real lounge,restaurant or bar. The only elevator was out of commission for 24 hrs. Stairs are extremely narrow and short. Monday morning no hot water in shower, hence could not shower. Construction started at 7am outside our window with loud talking and sawing.

The staff was very friendly and apologetic. Location was perfect

• Superior Queen Room

- Heater wouldn’t turn off. Made the room like a sauna, stuffy and gross. Front desk repeatedly unresponsive when I asked for a fix. - No one cleaned or serviced the room at all after night 1. Has to call down to ask for clean towels, had to leave trash outside the room. - the only elevator was out of order the entire last night & morning. - fire alarm (false alarm) went off at 5am first morning. - wasn’t informed prior to arrival that the entire lobby was under construction. Stayed here a few years ago for work and had a good experience. Will not be staying here again.

• Superior Queen Room

There is only one very small elevator for the whole hotel. Not even a freight elevator so that staff and guests compete for its use. The only thing open was the bar and only for a few hours a day. No eating facilities, and the tea room has been under construction for a very long time. No refrigerator in the room and I had medical supplies that needed to be kept cool. If you wanted ice, you had to call the front desk and wait for a delivery by staff.

location, location, location

• Superior Queen Room

On the second day of my stay, I was treated badly by a lady who was at the reception desk at the nigh shift (on a day of thanksgiven) which made me feel very bad, but I tried to ignore it, it was clear that it was racial hatred, Its behavior but I hope she will understand one day that having hate for people only by there ethnic origine is the ugliest thing in this world.

• Superior King Room

The bar was under renovation so couldn't use it although there was a substitute. Paper cups for coffee/tea in the room

Location to the city and the bed was awesome

• Superior Queen Room

The room was unexpectedly SMALL and they never refilled the water in the front lobby, even tho I asked them twice :(

The bed was comfy and the soaps were great!

• Superior Twin Room

It seems that the hotel has been refurbished, despite of there isn't any sign or advise about it. The main entrance is kind of old fashioned and dirty. You can see dust under the forniture. The rooms are very small and there's no refrigerator

the hotel is well located at downtown with an easy access to the metro and close to UnionSquare, where you can take the cable cars

• Superior Queen Room

There was no A/C! It was a tiny room that got hot very quick. There was only one elevator and it was minuscule. Two people and three bags barely fit in the elevators. The room had no iron and no robes. The shower curtain wasnt long enough so you were guaranteed to have wet floors and the water temperature was awful. Staff was also not the most courteous but we were able to leave our bags while a room was prepared.

Walking distance from Union Square, but not on the good side.

• Superior Queen Room

Tiny bathroom Old rooms so musty smells Construction outside was a bit loud Lobby under construction Very small room

Bed was comfy Pretty good location

• Superior King Room

They checked us in 40 minutes late and when I got to the room they hadn't clean it yet. Had to go back downstairs and wait for another room for another 30 minutes. The staff is really good, specially Marcel on the front desk, but the overall organization seems to be lacking. It feels like a good crew without a capitan.

Marcel at the front desk. Great guy. Bed is really confortable. Room is nice although a bit small. Really good for the price.

• Superior Queen Room

The room was awfully small even choosing the superior one. Barely enough space to set the suitcase and bathroom even smaller. Way overpriced.

The Hotel was Authentic, old fashioned but will all the amenities for a pleasant stay.

The price of the valet parking was extortionate, especially as the "valet" car park was just the other side of the street, could have parked the car there ourselves for half the cost, if we had known!

• Superior Queen Room

Quite noisy. There were ongoing works basically in front of the hotel starting to produce noise very early in the morning. On top of that, I was unlucky with the guests in nearby rooms as they had quite interesting habits like shouting at 3 AM or getting up at 6 AM to talk on the phone. The room rates are quite high but nothing surprising in downtown SF.

Nice and clean to stay for a few days in SF. A five minutes walk to the nearest BART station. The welcome complementary glass of wine is appreciated although the lounge was being renovated so they were serving it in a kind of a suite.

• Superior Queen Room

Rooms were very small and bathrooms even smaller. The shower was so small that you couldn't move without hitting the wall or shower curtain, which was too short so water got all over the floor. Slow wifi.

Friendly staff

• Superior Queen Room

MY room faced the front and was noisy. A rooftop bar and a parking garage across the street were busy until after 2AM

Downtown San Fran is convenient. Lots to do in the area. Good breakfast and other restaurants.

• Superior Queen Room

We were in one of the only rooms with an air conditioning unit (thankfully). I would imagine being in a room without a unit during our stay was uncomfortable. Heat wave of 108!

The location was great. Very centralized within Union Square and close to cable cars, BART train systems and other bus routes.

• Superior Queen Room

The elevator wasn't working and we had to go up 3 floors with our luggage -- it was fixed the next day

Good location -- took the Munie to the ballpark for a concert -- also to fishermans wharf -- close to shoppng

• Superior Twin Room

-Found hair in my bed in three different places - pillows /duvet /smelled musty - no fridge provided for the room - carpet had mutilple stains - wall colour made the room feel old/dated

Location was great Bathroom very clean and beautiful tiles Manager at the front was very kind and professional Cleaning staff member was friendly and had a wonderful conversation with her Like the iPad provided telling you all about the surrounding areas ect.

• Superior Twin Room

Upper floor is quiet but 2nd~3nd floor's room near maison Ave. were noizy.

My friend(senior lady) and I stayed at twin bed room. The single bed is too small...

• Superior Twin Room

The room smelled like smoke and were quite noisy throughout the night. Due to renovations they had no ice available and were quite slow to bring towels to rooms.

The staff was very helpful to get us around the city and finding places to see. They were great about holding our things while we toured the last day.

We had a room with window which faced a scummy wall so no view wasn't told about that and all amenities closed down and were not informed about any of this work . Will take months before it's ready. Also no hot water in the morning for showers we phoned 3 times for reception eventually answered to be told let it run for half hour will warm up by then ,so much for conserving water 😣. Definitely not worth the money big disappointment as last stop before we.flew.home.

The room was clean and kept up by house keeping very nice lady

• Superior Queen Room

The elevator was old,small and very slow. If you plan on sleeping with the windows open for the fresh, cool air (no air conditioning) then bring earplugs because it was very noisy. The pillows were terrible, bring your own!

The location was great and the rooms were small but clean. The bed was comfortable.

• Superior Queen Room

Price jump from off-season to summer rates.

Staff is great if not a bit overworked during the summer tourist rush. Helpful to their newer co-workers and very pleasant housekeeping and maintenance crew members

• Superior Queen Room

This hotel is a bit over priced and its facilities are getting old, such as broken heating in our room. However, the staff were competent and tried to fix it, unsuccessfully, but gave us a portable heating.

Good location, cute decoration.

• Superior Twin Room

Super small rooms and the bathroom was hard for one person to maneuver in and I am a size 4 so that gives you an idea of how small it was. We were three floors up and could hear every bit of street noise to include homeless people rapping for three hours starting at 6 a.m. until a policeman showed up. When someone would shut their entrance door in the hall the head board would shake so the walls are very thin. I also didn't like that if you turned the wrong way leaving the hotel to walk around you ended up in an undesirable area that was a bit scary.

It was a quirky place and the staff was very friendly. It was very clean and well maintained.

• Superior Queen Room

Inconsistent to no hot water. Horrible Pillows and no comforter said there was room service...it was a pizza restaurant that delivered pizza type products for lunch and dinner, limited lobby coffee. Was unable to get a cup at 10Am. Said that that was all they were going to put out, interesting that you could not take the time to sleep in and get ready and still get coffee. Made the assumption that 4-star meant more.

Safe area, no homeless in site

Very higher parking fee, finally the receptionist guide us to part in the public one across the street. The room is quite small especially for big suitcases

Good location which is close the central of city

• Superior Queen Room

The bed was due for renewal, it was a partners roll together to the middle kind of bed.

Handy location, close to cable cars and tourist bus. Luggage storing service was great.

• Superior Queen Room

My room was tiny! I had a queen size bed and it was difficult moving around the room. The shower was crazy small. I'm 5'4 and my head nearly touched the shower head.

The front staff were fantastic! They had great advice about transportation and restaurants to try.

• Superior Queen Room

Bed super high off the ground. Shower curtain not long enough and water took forever to get hot. There's an overhead fan (no air conditioning), but very confusing controls.

Location is awesome. Staff friendly and helpful. Modern amenities in the room.

• Superior Twin Room

Hotel didn't have nothing to do, rooms are too smal , I had twin bed but was too small , it was hinging my feed out the bed , I can't move much on bed because too small , pillows so hard , I'll not come back there again 😩

I like the ubicación , be close to restaurants and stores , only

Bathroom.

Brand new mattress on our bed that was fantastic! Made us rest so well we didnt notice that we weren't in our usual king size bed. Bathroom was awkward. Had to step inside before the door would close. Tiny RV size sink. Shower head, flow and temp all very good. No ice machine on floors (can request delivery or get by going to front desk). No microwave or refrigerator in room. Helps to know these things when planning trip.

• Superior Queen Room

The room was quite small and the elevator was very slow, there were people waiting for it at every floor.

The guys at the reception are super friendly. They answered our questions about the area and gave us free drink vouchers (which we did not even redeem as there was already little bottles of champagne in the room). We expected parking problems as the place is right in the centre, but there was a 6-7 floor parking lot just across the street for 35$ per day (not 49$ as the hotel description suggests).

• Superior Twin Room

maybe the hotel should have a deal for the guests and one of the nearby diners for breakfast ? I also felt that the rooms were a bit small.

really good location, lots of shops and restaurants nearby.

• Superior Queen Room

The building itself is an older building so there is an "old" odor when closet doors are open. Photos on the website were misleading. Actual room we were in wasn't anything like it. Nonetheless, for the price and location, I guess it's expected. (Rooms were small. Enough to walk around a queen size bed). Walls are thin. Can hear neighbor guests.

Hotel has upgraded what they can. Clean. New accessories. Good water pressure in shower-head. (stayed on 3rd floor). New wallpaper. Friendly staff. Helpful concierge. Really liked their bar soap.

Browse King George traveller photo gallery