Reviews of Kings Inn 3 stars

1333 Hotel Circle South, Mission Valley, San Diego, CA 92108, USA

#77 of 226 hotels in San Diego

The bathroom was small however it worked fine. There was a big queue for breakfast on Saturday morning, so go early! the rooms were a bit dated but they had everything we needed including a fridge.

A good basic motel type set up. Outdoor pool and spa pool. There was a good diner onsite for breakfast, and a restaurant for evening meals (which we didn't try). It was great it had a laundry room. It was not very close to anything but it was in hotel circle so a popular area. We thought about trying to get public transport but it is a bit of a faff, and parking is easy in San Diego.

Parking can be tough if you arrive too late in the evening.

Comfortable beds, nice sized mini fridge, great movies, awesome swimming pool and jacuzzi, nice bathroom, and very clean! Note: They provided pool toys for all of the kids! My kids didn’t want to leave!

A little far away from downtown and beach but excellent access to freeways and ahopping malls. Could get a microwave in the room though.

Awesome breakfast at the waffle diner at the hotel! Fair enough gym. Good staff.

See above comment on pool attendant. Parking is also an issue, if you go to dinner at 5pm - you will not find convenient parking at 8pm!!!!!!!

Staff, environment, location, food. Rooms spacious and updated . Shower is set for a person over the height of 5.2!!!!!!!! Pool could use an attendant for drink/ food service.

The bathroom was the size of an outhouse and the maid service was iffy. Not very good and the hotel provided soap and shampoo, I recommend bring your own. Also the plumbing was very loud. If you have to get up in the middle of the night, you will wake you partner and the occupants of the rooms adjacent and above or below depending on your location.

The food at both restaurants, the Amigo Spot and the Waffle Spot was excellent as was the service. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Good swimming pool with exercise room and guest laundry. The location was perfect being minutes away from Sea World, the Zoo, and Old Town.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

For the we paid price nothing. Maybe free coffee in reception.

Not a new hotel but updated and well maintained. Pool is clean and pleasant. There are two restaurants on site and both were good and fairly priced. Although the road noise was bad outside the room was fairly quiet.

No elevator and I had a three year old and a month old with my things..Room was on the second floor other than that I had the perfect stay

Easy to find, Very accommodating, Great Price for a Great location

We arrived with massive amount of luggage and Pedro was so helpful with it. Staff are super friendly! This very cool sixties style hotel is clean and the best choice for families with young children.

I feel like there was no issues on the property everything was handled the way I expected when you go to a hotel I appreciate the staff for being so nice and professional in their own ways I never had any issues there

What I liked about it was that the property look so like old school way the palm trees the pool the lighting the color of the building I like the restaurants nearby the parking structure was huge it was easy to find parking it was not loud very quiet the smoking patio downstairs very comfortable just to sit outside with your loved one the staff is very professional the food at the restaurant was great the surrounding areas great nearby freeways 30 minutes away from Legoland 10 minutes away from SeaWorld 10 minutes away from downtown I will return I recommend this hotel to any of my friends to the the ever go to San Diego just for a weekend getaway

Bathroom is very small Noisy - you can hear the traffic Poor noise-isolation between the rooms - could hear voices from the other room. Check-in at 4PM (I arrived between 9-10AM and no room was available).

Large and comfortable bed Internet better than average Very clean Large fridge Pool for kids and a place to have a drink close to the pool Pool area is gated

It was really quiet, despite being close to the freeway! They also gave me a free upgrade for no reason! Delightful - one if the best nights sleep I've had in a hotel!

All was great.

Food at both the Amigo Spot and the Waffle King were great! Pool was nice. The property was clean and our family enjoyed all of its amenities.

I enjoyed my stay here. It met all my expectations.

This property did not offer "free" breakfast or coffee. There was a coffee maker in the room. Additionally, there was a breakfast spot off the lobby and a restaurant offering Mexican food. You didn't have to leave the property to eat. The bed was really comfortable. The location was good. It was located close to Old Town and close to major highways. I extended my stay for an extra night and the front desk worked hard to accommodate my request so I wouldn't have to change rooms.

Floors needed cleaning, staff could have been more helpful when checked out

Property is in a great location, close to everything. Great facilities with friendly staff. Only things I would complain about are the floor cleaning or lack of - I had black feet after walking on the floor the first day and my husband thought he had left his toilet bag behind. On ringing the hotel once we had checked out they didn't seem to see any urgency in looking for it even though we had a flight to catch back to NZ.

I thought my booking included breakfast but it didn't. However this was not really a problem as there were plenty accessible cafes and restaurants.

The hotel was easy to access from the highway and provided easy access to all the places we wanted to go.Car parking was straight forward. Staff were exceptionally friendly. The facilities were excellent.

Staff was rude, Amigo restaurant 4thumbs down. Service was horrible, staff was rude, food was decent however better Mexican food all around. The restaurant did not honor the15% discount on food they say they give during check in, Veronica was not helpful.

The pool was nice, the room was clean when we arrived back. The location was perfect for everything we did. Property was well taken care of.

Beds were too hard. The bathroom was very small. Barely able to sit on the toilet and shut the door. Check in took way too long. It seemed like a "budget" hotel, which I didn't expect for how much we paid.

The Waffle Spot had excellent food and service. Conveniently located to all the places we needed to go. Room was adequate and we were in a nice quiet corner.

The room was a little smaller than I expected, bathroom was not comfortable for me, maybe due to the size of toilet location. Other guest/neighbors were a bit loud late at night. And lastly, the beds were not comfortable.

The location was convenient. The restaurant had good service and good food.

We needed 2 queens and noted that on our online reservation however we were given a king and a cot. One of my kids had to sleep on a chair.

It was clean and the location was good.

dunk guys hogging the hot tub

Better then expected. The only down fall was the drunk guys hogging the hot tub every night! Staff was great and always friendly. When we came back from long days of playing, our beds were always made and fresh towels available. It was very nice!

• Superior Single Room

Large clean room;comfy bed;fluffy towels;quiet location;freeway friendly;on site restaurants with discounts;friendly helpful staff;easy check in/out;private balcony;charming heated pool area.

I wifi did not work,I couldn’t do my work on my laptop or access anything on my phone because the WiFi was terrible.

The hotel was really clean and smelled nice once we entered the room. Customer service was amazing overall I enjoyed my stay. The entire facility was clean and welcoming.

No guest elevator except for the freight elevator. We had 4 large bags and by the time we carried them over to the freight elevator, we could have just walked up the steps quicker.

The price. For San Diego, you can't beat it! Parking was free as well. The attached restaurant is a decent place for breakfast even if there is a wait most weekend mornings.

There was no breakfast in fact there was not even complimentary tea or coffee. It cost me $2.68 for a cup of tea. First time I have had that happen.

Bathroom floor dirty, not the best showers. Had refrigerator but no microwave, I find this confusing

Great location. Independent hotel amidst dozens of corporate ones, always love supporting the independents!!Fantastic staff and Waffle house

Deposit of 100USD was required at the check in. I was offered cash but receptionist insisted on credit card. I spend 12 hours at the hotel but still waiting for my deposit back. After one week of check out. No were any word of 100USD deposit at booking.com. NOT RECOMENDED.

The lighting in the room was a bit dim but really not an issue.

Great refurbished hotel. Waffel Spot was a bonus and the pool was really nice. Also a great location with lots of food/shopping just across the freeway.

The smoking area was outside gym. While working out smoke wafts in through open windows with smokers sitting below - smoking. Carpet smelled in room. You could turn knob to shower around and around it was broken and the tiniest bathroom I’ve ever encountered.

They could make sure their guests have decent parking. We were supposed to have asigned parking by our room but there were people without hotel parking passes that were parked in our spots so we had to park up from by lobby and walk back and forth with our luggage. Also the bathroom is not fat people friendly. Super small. Not enough room to wipe yourself. But I guess if I was a small child it would have been ok.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

Very limited breakfast options but Starbucks was only 10 mins away.

It had a great pool, great WiFi, coffee maker, fridge and microwave and was just 15-20mins from the heart of town and 5 mins from the nearby Mall which was great. Lots to see and do in San Diego. We had a great room right opposite the pool.

We kept hearing banging in the walls from upstairs wasn’t sure it was the air conditioner or the people upstairs from us in the future I believe we will get a room upstairs versus downstairs

Pool closes too early

Nice place and good prices We left our clothes in closet when checking out and called a few days later to inquire and they did have them and shipped everything to us

• King Room with Pool View

Quite noisy at night, walls very thin. Could hear next door’s tv all night. Not recommended if you want a decent night’s sleep or if have young children . WiFi connection not very strong.

Staff very friendly. Rooms clean & bed comfy

1) When I first walked in I spelled the unpleasant mildew odor, so maybe it rained earlier. Unfortunately, this affected the ambience. 2) There is no elevator except a service elevator so I carried luggage up stairs. However staff offered to take me up service elevator or to carry luggage for me to my room. 3) I'm surprised that a room with such a nice refrigerator, has NO microwave.

1) The property is beautiful - lovely wooden floors. 2) I like that it's privately owned 3) Staff was friendly at check-in and then the next shift staff was also friendly when I had questions & needed directions. 4) They had pre-printed instructions with address and directions to locations I was looking for. 5) When I was told that no elevator is presant, staff offered to carry luggage up for me. 6) They stated they gave me a free room upgrade and the room was very nice! Comfy king bed, refrigerator, safe (sorry that my pic of beautiful bed is upside down!) 7) There was a nice sized balcony to sit on (see pic) 8) This property is a convenient drive to grocery stores - Food for less, Ralph's, a little further- Wal-mart. Also convenient to shopping - Macy's Old Navy, Marshall's, Target. Also convenient to food/entertainment - Amc theater, Fuddruckers, Subway.

I like how there is a restaurant breakfast, lunch, and dinner in walking distance from our rooms. It was amazing. My friends and I enjoyed the happy hour there too!

Needed warmer blankets as it can get a bit cold at night

Great value hotel! It might look like a motel but it has been nicely renovated: we truly enjoyed the retro decor, grounds were immaculate and the staff was super friendly. We loved everything about this hotel. Room was clean and size was above average. Beds and pillows were very comfy. There were also plenty of outlets to charge all your electronics. Bathroom was a bit small but everything was very clean. Pool area is fantastic! We saw the pool attendant several times during our stay. The water was clean and warm enough that we swam until the pool closed at 10 pm. There are plenty of chairs, lounges and umbrellas. They even provide floats, noodles and balls for guests use. Pool towels are plentiful in the lobby. Breakfast is not included in the price but they have 2 in-house restaurants. The breakfast spot is really good and get can busy: we had to wait 30 mins to get a table. The other restaurant is also good and the best part yet is that you can order room service from them or have them deliver to the pool area. The hotel is located in Hotel Circle, a great location near Seaworld, Balboa Park, San Diego Zoo, Mission Bay and plenty of stores and restaurants within a 5-mile radius

• King Room with Pool View

at check in my keys did not work to my room. went back for new ones. the reason they did not work was because i was given keys to the wrong room. when i open the room there was other peoples luggage in there. upset!!

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

The jacuzzi started to get re sealed on Sunday. If people are there for the weekend it would have been nice to use the jacuzzi both nights

The staff was very friendly. The rooms were nice and clean. The Waffle House restaurant was very good and fairly priced.

Very loud due to close highway. Thin doors and walls. If you get a room close to the front (= highway) bring earplugs.

Parking in front of the rooms and under roof possible. Easy to reach. Rooms were tidy and clean. Pool and Spa was nice. Waffle house is pretty awesome for breakfast.

Nothing. Thank you for everything.

Held up to our expectations. We knew it wasn't a pricey 5 star hotel which we weren't looking for. We wanted a nice, clean and safe place to stay overnight while we went sightseeing in the daytime. We rented two rooms. Both were clean and spacious enough for our purpose. Nice staff and safe parking. Two of us are germaphobs and have heard horror stories of lice and bedbugs at hotels. (NOT this one just stories in general). I read a very good amount of reviews and based my decision on them. This place is clean! We stayed a few weeks ago and I waited to post my review when I was sure we didn't pick up lice or bedbugs and could give a solid and honest review. The restaurant inside was packed so that's a good sign of good food. We didn't get the chance to eat there though. We would return.

I was disappointed that the building was as old as it is. Also, I would have appreciated a mat in the shower.

The bed was so comfortable. I slept very well.

We really enjoyed our stay, aside from the solicitors who came by twice a day to shove restaurant brochures into the side of our closed door who kind of interrupted our peace and quiet. Hotel staff should really prohibit that because it is a huge disruption for people who are trying to enjoy some quiet time together in their hotel room. Nothing spoils the mood of a romantic moment faster than knowing someone is standing outside their door shoving unwanted papers through the crack of the door.

Loved the hotel and pool area and vintage feel of the place. We stayed for two nights and it was very comfortable, clean, and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Can't think of a thing.

Kings Inn is without a doubt one of the best values of any property offered on your site. The location is central to almost all activities in the San Diego area including the zoo, Balboa Park, several beaches, ample shopping and very good restaurants. The room was spotless and well appointed. The pool area was also very inviting. I will make Kings Inn my go-to whenever I'm in the area.

The Inn (and yes it is not a hotel) is located right next to the highway 8 and you hear the cars at all time everywhere. We stayed 2 nights in room 252 and the last night every 2/3 hours a massive bang like iron falling on the floor would wake us up. The reception said they had no idea of what it was!!!

The wifi was very inconsistent and unreliable.

Very convenient location, comfortable, clean facilities. Friendly helpful staff, good breakfast restaurant.

Check in is was at 4:00 PM - arrived to Kings Inn a few min before 4:00 PM weren’t able to get checked in the check in employee just said the room wasn’t ready. Then another person came to help the front desk employee and the people behind us were trying to check in before 4:00 PM as well and we’re checked in by the new employee yet we weren’t able to check in. Didn’t make any sense. The only difference was the employees and the other folks were Caucasian and I am Hispanic - so I don’t know. My partner said I should have said something. But I don’t like confrontations. Anyways everyone should be treated the same or have everyone wait until 4:00 PM to check in. Which is later than most hotels anyways.

Little bit away from downtown.

I liked that hotel so much. Specially the receptionist, Sandy, took care of few problems I had in my room immediately on the first day. Thank you so much Sandy. Her smile worth a whole lot. Always she treat people with a big smile. Very comfortable stay. I recommend this hotel to anyone. Restaurants are with the hotel and really good food. They gave discount for people who stay in this hotel. Excellent!!!

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

Only that there were a couple of people smoking on the covered patio area, having to walk past the smoke. A small detail and Likely unavoidable from property standpoint. This was the way from check in to rooms near pool so an outdoor area with seating.

We love mid century modern decor and this little gem of a hotel has a kidney shaped pool ( appeared to have a handicapped lift for pool use as well), with up lighting in palm trees at night, definitely had the cool mid century vibe. It had clean rooms with comfy beds, nice decor ( loved the pillows!) It has two restaurants onsite, a Mexican restaurant where we had a great 8 pm dinner, and a Waffle House with a yummy breakfast. All staff was friendly and outgoing, not just polite. Meals not included. There may have also been a free continental breakfast but we ate at restaurants. The lobby was very mid mod and the front desk staff very accommodating. I was sad we checked in late and out early as I wanted to enjoy the hotel more it was that cute !

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

Very little communication from the start. We were told to leave our bags by the desk and go to our room, our bags would be brought up to us. Well, we were sitting in our room for over half an hour and still no bags. The room smelt of damp and was very old and drab. The bed mattress was very uncomfortable. The WiFi was extremely weak, I ended up spending most of my time in a Starbucks. What's the point of offering WiFi when it's not sufficient for everyone? The only part we looked forward to was the breakfast, which is separate from the Kings Inn. On the whole, not at all worth the money!

The only part that we enjoyed was the pool.

I was hugely disappointed in the fact that when checking in, the front desk staff didn't tell me they were putting me in a designated smoking section. First of all, there shouldn't even be a smoking section...smokers should be relegated to 25 feet away from all doors and all buildings. Second, I am allergic to cigarette smoke...so not being told of this risk was very irresponsible of the hotel. Also, the air conditioning ran 24 hours a day for the four days we stayed and never cooled the room lower than 74 degrees. I couldn't open the windows for fresh air - because of the selfish and disgusting cigarette smokers - so this was an epic disappointment.

The pool and hot tub area were the only thing we really wanted to take advantage of on the property. It was clean and safe.

• King Room with Pool View

I wasn’t a huge fan of the view of the parking lot but the room made up for it.

The room was way more than what we expected! Very clean and everyone was friendly.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

The entire staff were very welcoming and friendly. Great food and service at the Waffle House! Room was very clean and entirely satisfactory. Nice pool and a very nice patio. If ever again in San Diego we would stay again.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

I forgot to tell the waitress at the waffle spot that we were guests at the hotel to get a 10% discount. I wish she would of asked us being that the majority of patrons woukd be from the hotel.

I liked the professionalism the staff displayed and the cleanliness of the room.

The photography on the web site was better than the actual hotel. While the staff was nice and accommodating, they weren’t very happy or enthusiastic. The decor on the lobby is a bit worn but clean with a funky mid century modern vibe. I thought we were going to stay in a hotel, but this is a motor lodge. In our guest room, the decor is a simple beach theme. Again, very clean, but the bed mattresses were hard and somewhat uncomfortable and the bathroom was very small. The shelf on the wall in the bathroom needed repair. We had to venture back to the front desk for pool towels. They should offer them at the pool. They offered reduced discounts at both the restaurants but the restaurants were only open at specific hours.

The motel was quirky but clean. They offered free parking and WiFi. The location is centrally located and about a 15 min drive to downtown.

They provided us with a rollaway bed at no extra charge. The king sized bed was very comfortable. Room had nice size refrigerator and large bathroom/closet area.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

The pool was heated but it was still a bit cool for my liking . I wish it was a bit more warmer.

The whole staff was amazing ! I’m beyond content with the customer service ! The room was very clean and so relaxing! The food was delicious !

It's just an old facility. They do the best they can with what they have. They do well if you compare them to a motel 6, but if you are expecting a Hilton, they can't measure up.

People were very nice. Waffle restaurant on site is very good and cost effective.

I liked just about everything except the bathroom fan was really noisy and the TV was tiny.

the beds are really comfortable, the pool is heated and the Jacuzzi good. Easy access to the frwy. and to the Ice show, a 10 minute ride. The staff are really on top of everything.

• Superior Single Room

Just a suggestion that maybe they could have cofffee and a paper available to the guests each morning.

We came here to have a mini celebration for our 40th anniversary as we are going east coast tour in the Fall. I requested a couple chocolate chip cookies and waters to be In room upon arrival and when we came in room, there was an ice bucket with a bottle of wine and fresh strawberries as well as two waffle stop mugs. Also had a 40th Silver Mylar balloons left in room. Shortly after we checked in, a gal brought up 4 freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. Your property has always been one of our favorites to stay at and will be back again.

I loved how clean it was and the location of it to the nearest mall, the closeness to Sea world, and also to downtown San Diego. This was an amazing first visit to San Diego and even better hotel experience.

Was given a room that was already occupied. No elevators. Rooms accessed from outside. No restaurants nearby. Comped two king rooms as a result

Staff was friendly

It would be nice if the bathroom area was larger, but it's not like I live here. (No biggie)

The rooms are newly remodeled, very clean, with a nice view of the pool area. Close to parking, hotel restaurants, and close to area attractions. Very convenient.

There were strands of hair in the tub, room pretty well worn and towels were quite used.

The room needed an update, I guess it was adequate for the price but we would not stay here again.

• King Room with Pool View

You can hear when other rooms turn on their water. Weird clicking noises as well. It’s an old hotel. Can hear people walking in front of your room with their rolling suitcases. Both of those woke me up everyday around 6-7.

Location was great. Nothing is more that 15 minutes away.

Very dark room, hard to read my book. Large screen tv but cable feed was still old and fuzzy. No microwave or refrigerator.

Location was near Balboa park. Had a nice pool, but didn't use it.

• King Room with Pool View

A tad noisy neighbors and freeway - no biggie.

Old School hotel with a great pool and palm trees, close to freeway which is nice but a tad noisy, love the old Waffle Spot and hospitality.

Room did not have a microwave.

This was a great location and we enjoyed the sunshine!!! Kings Inn worked well for us and getting to sight seeing locations!

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

The housekeeper kept knocking on door even though we had the do not disturb sign up. Was only 8:30 am or so in the morning and she disturbed us. I believe she did it again at 10 or 10:30 am and that is what I didn’t like.

Front desk staff and both restaurant staff, excellent!

Very clean. Location was excellent. Close proximity to historic old town, balboa park, and the beach. Added bonus was 2 restaurants on site and discounted coupons when checking in. Staff helpful booking tours and trolley.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

The building is two floors and the floors themselves are timber so you can hear people above you walking around. Hint, get top floor room.

A very clean hotel based on the 1950's era. Very clean rooms. Great pool and jacuzzi. It has a waffle cafe and main bar with restaurant. Happy our in bar is from 3-6 with free appetisers. Staff very helpful telling us places to see in our four day stay.

I would like the hours of the coffee shop extended to later inthe day to have lunch and dinner

Everything great lication great rate friendly staff nice clean room.i always choose kings inn for my san Diego trips

My friend booked 2 rooms through booking.com for 3 nights. When we arrived at hotel, 1 room was booked for 3 nights,the other was booked for 2, had printed confirmation with ref no but didn't match up with their details.

Very nice breakfast. Good value for money.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

Nice inn with lovely pool area, close to road so thought it may be noisy but slept really well with no noise disturbance, staff were really friendly, had an onsite cafe for breakfast which was fantastic, food was really nice and staff really lovely,

The location is extremely convenient! It’s very easy to get to the main attractions in San Diego from here. It’s an easy drive if you are renting a car and an inexpensive uber if you are not.

Disappointed with service in their 'evening' restaurant. They give a 15% voucher at check-in for one evening only. We stayed on two separate occasions, gave them the voucher upon arrival, as requested, and on neither occasion did they deduct the 15%. On both occasions, they brought food that hadn't been requested.

Rooms were spacious, comfortable and quiet.

Browse Kings Inn traveller photo gallery