Reviews of Kona Seaside Hotel 2 stars

75-5646 Palani Road, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, USA

#8 of 11 hotels in Kailua-Kona

• Standard Room

There was nothing we did not like.

We were thrilled with our visit - so much so that we booked a second night as we had only planned to stay 1 night when we landed in Kona. Very friendly staff that went out of their way to be helpful and locally owned. Grea rooms and nice decor.

• Deluxe Room

An older property needing plenty of TLC. Basic but comfortable.

Comfortable; all the amenities we needed; breakfasts at Splashers Restaurant, next door (and which came as part of the room tariff) were excellent.

• Standard Room

The air conditioner was super loud and had a mind of it's own.

The beds were super comfy and the room was very clean. Fantastic location. Walking distance to everything.

• Deluxe Room

no microwave! ocean view was 98% a tree! guaranteed $10 parking was great if you didn't leave the parking lot!! Too many cars for spaces.

Breakfast @ "splasher's" was very good and consistent. Appreciated 24hr security on the property & parking lot.

As above

Breakfast good but very little waterflow in sink and shower,also water in shower is intermittently hot and cold. Hotel is pricey more than the facility and service.location of hotel is good.

• Standard Room

The ONLY ice machine could not have been further away. Not even a continental breakfast included. Cleaning staff kept taking our extra towel we asked for. The facility "restaurant" was too far away. No coffee in lobby. Added parking fees. Should I go on?

The bed was comfortable

• Standard Room

Front desk staff was not super friendly which was surprising but everyone was nice enough. Breakfast not included but plenty of great places to eat within walking distance.

Great location in the middle of Kona, comfortable bed, wifi worked great, A/C worked great, 24 hour service desk so we could check in late.

• Deluxe Room

The shower heads are quite low, so for European length persons (1.88 m) showering is not the most comfortable. The hotel doesn't offer breakfast, but you get vouchers for the nearby Splasher's Grill. These allow choosing from 3 fixed options (which are fine), however it would be nice if you could also choose from the regular menu and use the voucher as part of the payment.

Good location close to beach and restaurants, city center easily within walking distance. Friendly staff, and they offer a hospitality room when you want to refresh yourself after you checked out (noon) but have a late flight. This allowed us to spend the afternoon in town and at the pool, then take a quick shower before departing to the airport for our evening flight.

• Standard Room

We had 2 queen beds, one king bed would be better. The elevator smelled weird. And when I used a shower sometimes the pressure was lower and there was not enough hot water (I guess when many people shower at the same time). Parking was 20$ for 2 nights, not too bad but it would be better if it would be included in room price. Parking was hard to find and parking lot was very narrow, we couldn’t open car doors properly.

goof location and they had elevator.

• Superior Room

We arrived late so there wasn't any parking still available right on site. We were directed to park in the back parking lot of a restaurant nearby which was fine. A very short walk but we were the only ones parked there at 11pm which felt a big dodgy. As it turned out all was fine but it was our first night in Hawaii and we didn't know what the area was like.

The room we had was clean and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast was in a wonderful location and really good.

• Standard Room

The charge for parking,an extra $10 a day.

The location of this hotel is excellent,close to everything.The room was extremely clean and the beds were comfortable.

• Standard Room

Parking can be a little tight, if you have a room facing the street it can be quite noisy

The rooms have an average motel look, but we found ours spotless clean. Also the surroundings of the Hotel were well taken care of. We used the guest laundry which was very clean too. The staff does a good job here. In the room there was coffee supply, iron, vanity set...The bed was comfy and wifi worked very well. The hotel is at the beginning of Ali Drive, so you are right in the center of everything. Supermarktes are close by.

• Superior Room

Considering it's over $120 a night, it's a bit surprising that you still have to pay $10 a night for parking. Unfortunately that's the way in many hotels in Hawaii, but still. We ended up parking in the public lot just down the street (which was free) and had no problems (even with the tow away signs).

We arrived to the hotel and were able to check in easily. Breakfast is a voucher for Splasher's Grill (suggest the hashbrown with bacon or the pancakes, the yogurt option was ok but not as filling). Easy walk to Kona brewery, the main street, etc. It's an older hotel, but all in all, I'd recommend if you're looking for a simple place in Kona.

• Standard Room

Shower is a chest high. Parking spots are too narrow, almost impossible to park in the evening and get out of a SUV. The hotel has a pool but it works from 9am to 6pm, why?!

Near all the cafes in Kona. Has a balcony

• Standard Room

Dated property. Didn’t feel very safe being a single traveller as the property was just off the road.

Staff were very friendly. Located very close to the airport.

• Deluxe Room

Noisy air conditioner. Parking was limited later in the evening.

Awesome location and super close to lots of great restaurants, bars, and shops. The hotel seems a bit dated, but our room was clean and comfortable. We also had a great view of the garden and the ocean.

• Standard Room

Old furniture, old bath, some staff kind others not, too expensive for what you get

It is in the center of kona, shops and restaurants are in walking distance

• Standard Room

Parking could be tricky after 8 pm but managed to find road parking . Woke Up early to move it out of the loading zone.

Central location for restaurants and shopping.

• Standard Room

Street traffic at night was a little loud at times.

I was here only overnight to met friends before going over to Hilo. It was great for that purpose. Perfect price perfect location .

• Standard Room

Close to road beaches were not accessible and very rocky. On poolside rooms there was a chirping sound coming from street crosswalk all night long

Very close restaurants and shopping and airport

• Standard Room

Noisy AC. Another thing in my mind is, when we checked in, I said I would pay with cash. But the front desk still charged me with my card. Then I told her, she said sorry and would cancel the payment. I quite understood and paid with cash. But weird thing was, I again received messages saying that I had another transaction. That meant I paid them three times. Although the front desk then explained the first payment had been canceled and the second one was just a reminder, my bank still indicated there were two transactions with same amount of money with the hotel. I had canceled transaction before and all of them showed "canceled". It's been several days and they were still there.

The location is awesome. Near everything. Free beach towels. Kona coffee in room. Comfortable room and pillow.

• Standard Room

The availability of bikes to use was great and my husband really enjoyed his. Mine had a flat tire when I went to start riding so I was not able to ride with him.

The hotel location was great,the staff very helpful,early check in and late checkout were very helpful.

• Standard Room

The bed was ok for me but too firm for my wife and the parking was tricky.

The property was comfortable and conveniently located for accessing the surrounding waterfront activities, businesses, and restaurants. The staff was very pleasant.

The pool was freezing!

The Kona resort is a very basic resort, but had everything we needed and we enjoyed our stay as it was close to everything we needed.

see above

We appreciated how very clean the room was and the location was convenient to what we were planning for the 2 days we had there ... like most things in Kona, the price seemed a bit high

• Standard Room

No parking when we returned at 9 pm. We informed the security guard there was no parking as a guest had double parked. He told us there was nothing we could do and we could find parking on the street or down the street at SNAPPERs. We went to snappers but this did not feel secure and was not patrolled. We circled the Kona parking lot for 35 min until someone left. It would have beneficial if the guard had tracked down and made the person who double parked moved or Made an exception for us to park in one of the blocked off spots (several cones in empty parking spots). Was disappointed in this service but overall a good stay.

• Standard Room

I had 2 very heavy suitcases and was not aware I would need to lift them up 20-30 steps wothout assistance to get to the front desk of the hotel, as the entrance is back away from the street. On the way back I was shown an alternate slope exit near the car park as it was 6 am and no security or other staff were available to assist taking my bags out. The steps need to be mentioned in the hotel description & staff shd be on hand to assist with cases. I have arthritis and lifting heavy items is bad for my spine.

I loved the comfort of my room and the fact that my ensuite also had a bath as well as shower ( which I had requested). The pillows were fantastic, the bed very comfortable. I was ecstatic that the location was smack bang on Ali’i Drive where all the shops, eateries, bars, a swimmable beach and boat trips etc were all withon walking distance. The desk staff were lively & very helpful, finding me a personal taxi driver to take me part way the the Peace Gardens Sanctuary. I was in walking distance to the Kona Trolley car & buses so was able to get around with ease in the most glorious sunshine-filled, warm weather... I woulddefinitely stay at this hotel again.

• Standard Room

Their car parking space is limited and they charge you $10/night for parking fee. As this hotel is located by the intersection of streets, you hear traffic noises almost all day.

Close to the waterfront. Many restaurants are within walking distance. Free rental bike is available.

• Standard Room

Unfriendly check in staff. Additional parking charge. Very noisy neighbours, thin walls. Guests sitting around smoking too close to the entrance of the hotel.

Bigger and more comformartable rooms than the Hilo Seaside. Pretty good bed. Good location.

• Standard Room

Too close to the highway- a bit loud. The shower was hot and cold, set really low height and in need of some updating

Hotel lobby staff was very friendly.

• Standard Room

Comfortable bed. Comfortable pillows. Comfortable bed and pillow. Parking was difficult. I have a knee brace and use a cane. I was traveling alone. I asked for help with my suitcase. Although there is no valet or porter service the Kona Seaside got help for me via the security staff and other staff.

• Standard Room

There is no vanity in room 1007, no stand, just a ledge over the toilet so things fall in. Anyone in a wheelchair can’t reah it anyway. You have to set your travel case in the sink so it gets wet. There are several homeless people walking back and forth past the pool, opening the towel container, one stole a bag from f pretzels from a room and then spilled them by the pool and it was 4 hours before anyone swept them up even though I immediately reported it when I saw it happen. Dozens of people walked right through them and could have fallen. There are children in the pool and it’s not good to have homeless druggies and others mingling in with them. I don’t like to pay for parking in a business that caters to travelers who have cars. You may as well be charging for luggage!

The lobby is nice and so are the bed and pillows.

Taxi arrangements

The hotel was in a great location. Satisfied with the hotel except the Frontdesk could use a little more training on courtesy. Also if you need a ride to the airport you should make arrangements yourself as they called a shuttle for one person and they made us use a cab. Definitely looking out for the local transportation people.

• Standard Room

We wish you had a jacuzzi! The water temp in the shower was inconsistent- Not your fault but we were awakened a few times by nearby residents screaming loudly early in the am.

Easy check-in/check-out by friendly, professional staff. Great location. Free use of bikes. In room coffee. AC worked great. Very nice well kept grounds.

• Standard Room

Very small parking... there is not enough room on it...On the booking we've read the price is 7$ per day, but we were charged 10$. Also here is written no reservation is needed, but when we got there, we hardly found a spot. But before this, a girl on reception advised us a public parking one building away - it's really near to the hotel, but if you want your car to be towed away (from 2AM to 5AM), you can listen to this "good advice"...

Not bad room) shops and restaurants are near :)

• Standard Room

The location is right in the middle of the busy part of Kona, which is a blessing and a curse, as it is close to everything but quite noisy, especially the rooms at the front. The rooms are a bit dated, but that is probably why the hotel is such good value.

This hotel doesn’t look like much but it is really good value for money, especially if you can get one of the rooms in the back. We had a lovely view of the gardens and the ocean from our balcony. The rooms are basic but very comfortable and clean. The staff are helpful. The location is very central and a block from the sea. We stayed here a year ago and booked to come back again this year. We especially like that they offer a hospitality room for those of us with evening flights back to the mainland.

• Standard Room

Definitely the most terrible hotel experience. There was another guest with the same family name. Then the staff kept making mistakes. One of the most horrible one was that I only stayed for one night, but additional two nights were charged from my credit card without any informing until I checked. The staff insisted on refunding for only one night(how terrible was your hotel system!!). Also the staff did not say anything sorry until I asked. Buyers pay attention! The wash room was small and dirty as well. Limited parking space. Not a good value. Definitely will not live again or recommend to my friends.

nothing but the location

• Standard Room

The shower head is super low. I’m 5’7” and I had to duck to shower.

We arrived late at night, so my son and I got a king bed with a view of the ocean instead of the double queen garden we booked. Totally fine by me. It’s in a great location and within walking distance of a beach and many restaurants. I would stay again.

• Standard Room

Price of parking was stated at $7 per day on Booking.com, but they charged me $10 per day. They said price had just been raised. Amazing how convenient for them and not me.

Location was very good and convenient to beach, restaurants, and bars.

• Deluxe Room

I feel there is no need for constructive suggestions. Love Kona Seaside & I'll be back Everytime I come to Kona

Clean tidy comfortable Excellent location for access to restaurants. Walks. Tourists shops. Views!

• Standard Room

Kona is a busy town; the town center has lots of traffic; the street noise was a bit much at times. After the 1st night, we closed our screen door off the patio overnight.

Very central location - lots of the local shops and restaurants within easy walking distance and very close to the ocean and public beach. The pool and pool area was simple but quite functional.

• Standard Room

It was a little tired and it would have been nice to have china mugs, not paper.

The location was great as it was walking distance to the pier, shopping, restaurants and 2 small beaches. The balcony with the partial ocean view was lovely. We liked using the free bicycles.

• Standard Room

The room was a bit loud, there was a crossing with lights which beeped the whole night. Not severe but a bit nerve killing...Finding a parking slot was difficult and I found the procedure a bit complicated.

Location is very good, very close to the seaside and city centre. Shopping mals very close. Possiblity to park the car is positive.

• Deluxe Room

It is a nice, older property, but the room could use some updating.

The location, and it's proximity to downtown was great. Parking is an issue in Kona, and the location allowed for a place to park the car and walk.

• Standard Room

Staff was extremely helpful in solving computer issue. My boarding passes would not print on their computer. Patty, Amy, and Rehna went above and beyond expectations in solving this issue.

• Standard Room

Very expensive with no view except parking lots. The pool was closed in early evening and didn’t open until morning. The time when it is best to use the pool is evening and first thing am, when it was closed. No breakfast.

Very clean, comfortable, and well organized room. Free bikes although we didn’t have time to use them the one day we were there.

• Standard Room

only the vending machines were out of all water, but no biggie

I made a reservation last minute late night. The Hotel staff was extremely nice and accommodating. The parking lot security gave me a lift from parking to lobby which was cool. Just a cool safe place is what I got from it.

• Standard Room

The parking situation - we got in on a late flight and there was no information provided beforehand about having to purchase a parking permit for the small carpark. There was no space left so we were directed to a public carpark where signs stated vehicles would be towed if parked overnight. We got lucky....

Great location, just minutes from the water and Kailua Village ; hotel is quite old but room and facilities were clean and in good condition

• Standard Room

Water was shut down too early in am & too early in pm. Not when vacationers would be getting up & going to bed. So I often had no hot water.

They were great.

• Standard Room

Bathrooms dated but clean. Not a lot of pictures or decor on the walls so the rooms feel slightly less inviting. Easy ride from the hotel but right on the corner of a major intersection so it's noisy during the day. No hotel amenities like a bar or large lobby area.

Nice shaded pool. Well manicured lawns. Super comfy bed and everything was SO clean. Surprisingly quiet at night for how close to the main road it was. It was off the strip a bit but quick access to everything (food, shopping, beach). The staff were very friendly. Cleaning staff did an excellent job. Free WiFi was definitely a perk since some of the nicer resort hotels charged for it. Great for kids that want to stream video. Looked like they were slowly making a lot of upgrades though. Great for those that want to get out and see a lot. We didn't want a resort stay. We wanted a place that felt safe and was clean for a great price and that's what we got.

• Standard Room

Pool temperature was way too cold.

Kept our luggage as we had a late flight. No late check out however has a hospitality suite we could use to shower after the beach. Big Plus for us!!!

• Standard Room

Good sized room, comfy bed and very clean - we really appreciated the sea view room! Great location and all bars, restaurants and shops are within walking distance. Would highly recommend this hotel!

• Superior Room

The room!! It was less then appealing.. boardeline gross, run down and out dated. If we hadn’t gotten in so late we would have been looking else where. I was not happy! Fortunately we are back packing and had sleeping bags to sleep on top of the bed with.

Free breakfast was a plus

• Standard Room

The pillows weren’t great. They city is quite loud at night while trying to have the windows ajar for fresh air. But that is a small issue for the location

The location in the middle of the city is excellent. The rooms are spacious, clean and have a view. The staff were friendly and nice, even though we had some issues with the parking.

• Standard Room

Staff was friendly but odd service. Check in not until 4pm which is a bit later than most places. They had a room to hold your bag and a “hospitality” room but check in desk person didn’t offer it. They simply told us we couldn’t check in but they could hold the bags. It would be nice for them to anticipate our needs or offer. Parking was extra. It’s like that for all of Kona so can’t fault hotel because all of that area is paid parking so it was nice to park at hotel and walk around but just preferred to not pay for parking. Rather it was built into room cost so there isn’t extra fee.

Comfy accommodations in a central location in Kona. Close to all the attractions in Kona. Liked that it was locally owned.

• Standard Room

Room wasn’t worth as much as I paid. I think you pay more for the location than anything.

I loved how central it was to everything in Kona. Great location. Room was okay, not the worst, but not the greatest.

• Superior Room

The WiFi did not extend to the rooms on the 5th floor. This is a problem for travellers from outside the US whose phones need the WiFi signal. No WiFi in lobby area but two computers for use by guests.

• Standard Room

I had requested a crib for our granddaughter. You could not provide us with one.

I had requested that the five rooms be next to each other. Two were on another floor.

• Superior Room

We booked on Booking.com and maybe we could have saved if we booked directly. Wanted an upper floor room with a king bed but not available when we got there. The first-floor room was close to the pool but the pool water was cold so we never used it. The hotel could get quite noisy from floors above. There was no closet per say only a hanging clothes area.The room door was not sealed and so if there is a fire the smoke would right away enter the room. You could see light from around the door. Had to keep drapes closed during the evening because when lights were on passersby could see into the room.

The room had an ironing board, dryer, microwave, refrigerator, and dishes as well as a hotplate - which we never used. it was within walking distance to the touristy part of the island. It offered three choices of free breakfast at Splashers's and that is a good restaurant with great staff. It had security keeping a good eye on the parking lot so our rental car and walking to our room was secure. It's near the beach and shopping. The room was spacious. There was a small sitting deck area outside the room facing the pool.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Standard Room

WiFi without password, but with (generic) login data - which is extremely annoying, because you have to manually login every time you reconnect (i.e., after 5 min of inactivity). My suggestion is to either omit the login altogether, and/or just use and change the WiFi password (regularly).

Standard hotel room, although far better than what what I would have expected from a ** hotel, I would rate it *** Location is very good, at the end of Ali'i drive, a popular touristy street in Kona. Room with two single beds, a bathroom/toilet, and a balcony. The room had aircon, a small fridge, and a coffeemaker with coffee provided, WiFi reception and speed was very good. Outside parking for 7$/d, it's quiet at night, and there is a pool.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Standard Room

Comfortable beds, great air conditioning. Hotel staff was super friendly! We didn’t have a flight till 6pm and they let us store our bags and use the amenities room. Great value and location. Walking distance to all the best restaurants and coffee shops.

• Standard Room

Everything is in top shape and spotlessly clean. Beds are outstanding doubles not queens. Not a luxury hotel. Lovely lobby and welcome. It is 1 block from the water and excellent value. Stay here if this is what you want!

• Standard Room

Pictures of hotel online were deceiving. Hotel not nearly so nice as depicted online. Hotel is badly in need of refurbishing. Stained bathtub, no hairdryer. Had to ask for clean towels. Overpriced.

Personnel were friendly and helpful. Location was great.

• Standard Room

Parking is a bit tight. When you come back from dinner at night the parking lot is full and you have to move to another parking nearby. The staff could be more friendly and helpful. They don’t show any interest in the guests and don’t even bother to say ‘hello’. All they do is talking to each other and not paying attention to customers. The guys from parking security were very nice though. They would help you to find a parking spot as close as possible and they keep an eye on all the cars.

Nice location near restaurants and shops. The room was clean and comfortable. We had a nice balcony. The hotel has a hospitality room available for guests to freshen up when they cannot check in yet.

No room safe available.

Comfortable, clean room close to town, restaurants & the ocean. Most things were in walking distance or accessible by islands tours that picked you up from the hotel or nearby.

• Superior Room

Breakfast is not offer in the hotel, they give you a voucher to have a breakfast not far from the hotel with only three meals options,if you want extras you have to pay.

Excellent position in Zona town,well kept hotel

• Standard Room

Assumed taxes were included and parking was free. If I had known I would have gotten this room for a cheaper rate.

Location. Cleanliness. Staff. Grounds. Lobby. Quiet. Walkway to Ali'i Drive. Balcony. Bikes available. Ali'i Drive was closed off for a local market (3rd Sunday of month). Early we stopped at the Kealakekua weekly market. Ten years ago Kailua-Kona town had few tourists and was run down. It seemed like the tourist had been siphoned off by the resorts. Now it is teaming with locals and tourists. It was nice to see.

• Standard Room

It was noisy on the street/corner side.

Good location. An easy walk to the waterfront, shops and restaurants. Easy access to the Kona Trolley for shopping! We also used the Hop On, Hop Off bus on cruise ship day. It would have been great if this ran on other days too! The beds were extra comfy!

• Standard Room

Loved the comfortable beds and the location. Very quiet neighbourhood at night. Walls are a bit thin though. Had a room with an adjoining door which let in a lot of the conversations next door. Good part about that is it got me up earlier than normal 😜.

• Superior Room

Almost every tour begins at about 7 am. Breakfast begins, in the best case scenario at 7 am, so we never had the breakfast which was included. If the restaurant they work with cannot accommodate tourists who are going to tour (give a boxed breakfast, for instance), then I suggest the hotel would do well to find someone who can. The location is good except for the fact that it's on a noisy street.

Incredibly helpful staff, especially Lovely, Doll, and Jeannie. They helped me get back the jacket I had left in the taxi on the way to the airport. Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky with the jewelry I left in my room. Sigh.

• Standard Room

> Dated decor > carpet in elevator car was always filthy which does not give a good impression of your facility > staff at front desk not so friendly

> convenient location although entrance is misleading

• Standard Room

This place is amazing the views or phenomenal love this place that definitely going back however the breakfast option was not available at the time but we did get reimbursed

• Deluxe Room

Patty and construction going on all nite at the restaurant next door.

The young lady named patty was rude and condescending toward me ,when i ask a question, she made my last day suck i wanted to tell her to get f##ked but walked away.

• Standard Room

I found hair in the tub and on the bathroom floor.

The location is good. Close to shopping including a Walmart, and restaurants. Across the street from the ocean, historical attractions, and a nice beach area. We had a great meal at Splashers next door with live music and a view of the ocean while we ate.

• Standard Room

Parking is a bit of a hassle. They had a parking attendant to keep shoppers and restaurant visitors from parking in the lot. She was not at all helpful to us when we needed to park but we finally figured it out.

Very clean, quiet, and comfortable. Nice coffee. Pool and gardens very pleasant. Good price. Good location. Near the pier. Restaurants, shopping, gas. Walmart very near for the things you need but didn’t want to pack! We enjoyed a nice meal at Splashers next door.

Browse Kona Seaside Hotel traveller photo gallery