Reviews of La Quinta Inn Austin Capitol / Downtown 3 stars

300 East 11th Street, Austin, TX 78701, USA

#158 of 193 hotels in Austin

6.2

• Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Room was very dated. The room was not very quiet. There was a party going on and it was very loud in my room until they all went to bed about 3 am. One bed was very soft and caused my back and neck to ache. Parking was $25 a night.

The room had a refrigerator and microwave.

The area for the breakfasta is pretty small and it was very crowded. Closing time of breakfast at 9 am is too early in my opinion.

The location is amazing. Walking distance to 6th Street, UT and Capitol.

• Two Double Beds

There was a lot of noise late at night two out of the three nights from other other guests. The pool wasn’t heated.

Staff was friendly. Room was clean but small. Location is very good, close to multiple good places in town

• Two Double Beds

Wish we had a refrigerator, but the staff did accommodate us by storing our perishables in an office refrigerator. The unit looks old, no ice maker on our floor.

The staff were extremely helpful and courteous. When the bathtub was slow, it was fixed immediately. The location is great, walking distance to the Capitol, eating spots, busline.

• Two Double Beds - Disability Access

It wasn't the fanciest hotel ever, but for the price it is worth it.

The location of this hotel is pretty great - about a 5 minute walk to 6th or Rainey and right next to the capitol. For the price, you can't beat this location.

The wall were too thin and I could hear the conversation in the adjacent rooms , even phone calls and TV The room, hallway and elevator smelled and was dirty.

Staff was helpful. Tooth brush was available (I forgot mine ) Tylenol was available at vending machine

• Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Property was old and not kept the WiFi didn’t work valet parking was only available and it was $25 per night. Rooms opened to outside like an old motorcourt.

Only location

• Two Double Beds

Leaky ceiling. Partiers on Sat night were keeping me awake. The room was expensive given the facilities. Pool was not inviting since there was no shade whatsoever.

Bed was comfy. Liked the fact that there was some breakfast in the morning.

• Two Double Beds

Parking is not included in the price, you have to account for 30usd extra per night Breakfast was okay, not particularly above average

The location is really good

EVERYTHING.

I thought as getting a delux room i would have more space or bigger beds i didnt. i paid to much for what i got. wasnt worth it all. and i had to pay for parking. They also brought me the wrong car when i requested my car TWICE.

• Two Double Beds

hmm.... (chocolate on our pillows ?)

Excellent staff ! Everyone from the people who were at the front desk to the young men who handled the valet service provided. I'm very much a people person, and appreciated the friendliness, hospitality and great conversation. Their professional attitude and atmosphere made me feel very much at home. The house cleaning staff was second to none, and compliment your facility when so many of the much larger hotels are near by. I would definitely recommend and revisit your hotel when I return. Thank you for making my experience and positive one.

Staff not knowledgeable of local info...groceries, full-service breakfast location. No keurig coffee maker. Pool average.

Very pleasant and accommodating staff. Good price for location. Convenient for bus travel. around downtown and the city. Coffee available all day.

• Two Double Beds

The hotel is very dated. There are very few power outlets within the room making it difficult if you have multiple devices to charge. There is no power outlet near the bed. The only available ones are on the walls on the opposite sides of the room. The building is old an showing its age. The elevators are slow and were overdue for their annual state inspection. The heating in the room worked but it was noisy. Limited selection of TV channels and the channels kept going out on my final night there. On-site parking is mandatory valet parking. I hate not having the option to self-park, even if I still have to pay for parking. Its not only until after you turn over your keys do they give you a slip stating how they are not responsible for damaging your car unless they did it on purpose.

The price and location are very nice. Its located very close to downtown Austin and within walking distance of all the places we neeed to be. They have on-site parking which is nice, however it is an additional cost not included in the room price. The staff was for the most part friendly, although I was stuck waiting in a line at the desk one time for an employee to come out of the back. There was not a bell or anyway to signal you were at the desk. Breakfast was good, but there is not a large selection of items. Toast and waffles are the only hot items on the buffet.

• Two Double Beds

Room 201 is close to elevator and very noisy. Not only the sound of the elevator but the people talking and singing. The noise didn't slow down until 4 or 5 am. I will not stay in a La Quinta again.

The woman who checked us in had a terrible attitude. It was late at night but there was still no reason for bad service.

The manager was awesome, super friendly and ready to help! The room was always cleaned even if we left late in the day, no one bugged us in the morning while we were sleeping. Continental breakfast was nice.

I found it to be a little run-down for the price but the location could account for pricing. I like that they are converting rooms to non-smoking and my NS room was bearable. But I had to wash all my clothes when I got home to get the smoke out of them.

The staff was helpful. I liked the valet parking at any time of day or night because parking is a nightmare in that area. I did not try the breakfast. I did not take advantage of the pool or exercise room.

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast was quite poor. Only plastic dishes, plastic forks, spoons and knives were available (it was almost impossible to cut the fruit with plastic knives). A clerck at the reception made a mistake and charged my credit card twice for my stay! I realized it only after I left the hotel. I don't think that the service was excellent...

The location is very good (near the city center), the facilities are ok, and some people in the staff were helpful. When I entered in my room, I found out that the toilet was broken, but immediately the woman at the reception gave me another room and sent someone to help me with the shower (it was a bit difficult to use).

The property was under construction which we didn't know until we arrived late on a Wednesday night. Valet parking was required at a cost of $25.00 per night, which we also didn't know about until we arrived. The room we received was partially updated, the craftsmanship was poor and the surroundings were filthy. I would have gone to another hotel had it not been late and raining. To top it off, the required valet returned our 3 month old vehicle with a huge door ding in it from a garage that was only valeted cars.

• Two Double Beds

There was a horrible urine smell outside of room 407 which I reported when I checked out. The water in the tub would not drain well when showering. No snack machines readily available. The room rate is too high. I’ve stayed in Caesar’s Palace in Vegas for that rate, or less, and this in no way compares to the amenities at Caesars. You need to at least keep the breakfast area open late since there are no close eateries nearby. I will not return unless absolutely necessary. Doubletree by Denny’s would be a better choice.

Breakfast was fine. Waffles were easy to make and very good. Beds were great. Shower water pressure was very good. Room was very clean and quiet.

• Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Bed was the only good thing about this hotel. I have stayed at a lot of La Quintas and this was the worse one. It needs renovating, badly. Great location, but the hotel shows old and needs a lot of care. I would not recommend this hotel and it was a big disappointment.

• Two Double Beds

We hated the breakfast! There were no eggs or sausage. The staff in the breakfast area was rude.

The bed was amazing. The bathroom was clean and having the sink separated from the toilet and shower made it way easier.

• Two Double Beds

Breakfast was stale. Property is very rundown. Not comfortable at all. Thin walls I heard everything my neighbors were doing all night. It was as if I was in the same room with them.

Friendly staff

Facility is dated. Walking to our room is a major issue since it’s not enclosed. Floor is slippery, room is musty smelling. Breakfast is ok. Mattress is old Didn’t get my receipt either by email or physical copy

Good location for the purpose. Staff are friendly and professional.

The pool not being open and we were not notified of this prior to our stay.

Good location. Good bus connections outside hotel, we were not driving. Good breakfast.

Absolutely NO parking available on site unless you pay $25/day for valet. Had to park on street and feed parking meter. They think they are Las Vegas and can force you to pay through the nose to park...Will never go back to this location because of parking.....Glad I was only staying one night and weekend parking was free until 7am Monday morning

• Two Double Beds

A little too far from town and through a very dodgy part with people carrying knives. Maid service did make up and clean both beds. I also don’t like the sheet system in the US when the sheets only surround the duvet and not fully cover. Because there is not way they clean the duvet after each stay. So, you end up just sleeping with the sheets. The breakfast was stale and rubbish. Do not bother getting up for it. They added extra parking charges without my consent and then I checked on departure and they sorted it.

The rooms were relatively big and we had a big double bed each. It was motel style which was quite cute. Not too far from main town, 10-15 minute walk. The prices for what you got was relatively good. Free WiFi in the hotel and quite good channels on the tv.

• Two Double Beds

This was the worst place I’ve stayed in the last 20 years. The cost was $250 and I wasn’t sure if my car would be there in the morning or if I would survive the night there. This was not a hotel. It’s a motel with doors on the outside.

• Two Double Beds - Disability Access

I did not realize there was valet parking only . There was a $25 fee per night .

THere was only boiled eggs waffles and of course your muffins ,cereal and drinks . This La Quinta did not offer much of a breakfast variety . :(

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom door would not close all the way. I didn't like having to go outside and then back inside to get to my room.

Room was comfortable. The free breakfast was very good.

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Building Is very old and needs to be torn down and replaced. Breakfast was minimal with little flavor. Overall was Not up to typical La Quinta standards

We had a 3 day stay. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Good location. Many negatives — Hard boiled eggs not scramble. Muffins had no flavor. Air conditioning broken one day in Breakfast room made it uncomfortable. Some water damage in hallway near our bedroom caused the staff to run a commercial carpet dryer fan all day and night made for unwelcome noise and difficulties passing in the hallway. Very old motel style building had an elevator that the door stuck on on of our trips.

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

It needs paint in the walls, the rugs smell very bad . I couldn’t sleep because of the noice of people talkimg on the hall . A very bad experience . This hotel really needs ltc.

Nothing. I will never stay in this hotel again

Booking.com did not provide info that valet parking was the only option, nor accurate info/pictures on the facility.

No fluffy eggs, and bed was typical firm uncomfortable.

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

It wasn't the nicest / cleanest hotel. The people in the room next door were rowdy and would leave half eaten food in the hallway, which stayed there until the next afternoon when the cleaning crew would come by. We spoke with staff, but they didn't do anything. Valet parking is the only parking option which meant an added payment for parking for each day of our stay. Walls were pretty thin so you would hear all the other guests

It was close to 6th street with lots of stuff to do, and close to things to see like the Capitol. Pretty easy to get to Zilker Park for ACL. The included breakfast was pretty good for a hotel breakfast

• Two Double Beds

Strangers beating on the door of my hotel room between the hours of 0230-0500. Even after calling the front desk, it still continued to happen.

• Two Double Beds

Property overall is run down. Bathroom light worked sometimes (something wrong with the switch) for instance. Everything is just basically worn out/worn down from years of use. Breakfast was very average, the only hot food was a machine to self-make waffles. Coffee was poor.

Good price for what you got. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

The AC exceptionally noisy and not very efficient it was either really warm in room or goosebump cold. Breakfast room was Hot....not a comfortable place to sit and eat. Overall the exterior (elevator, hallways, and exterior) was generally shabby needing deep clean and paint. Pool wasn’t inviting right on road and appeared dirty on bottom and right on a very busy street.

The room was clean although there were maintenance issues that obviously had been ignored...like paint and water damage in room.

• Two Double Beds

Our car got towed it cost 200$ to get it out.. There was a parade and we couldn't drive to the hotel the entrance was blocked. So we talked to the valet and he told us just to park it till the parade was done in a place where it got towed.. We stayed to nights and they still charged me for valet for one night.. You would think that they would of took the valet off for both days..We are from Pittsburgh PA and that 200$ messed the rest of my trip up..I would of been better if they took off both days..We listen to their staff and we had to pay.. unsatisfied customer..

Clean

• Two Double Beds

Terrible facility, building, hallways, elevator: all very dirty. The room was ok but honestly this place needs to be completely redone and cared for. Unacceptable

• Two Double Beds - Disability Access

The battery for smoke or co2 detecter was empty which made a loud beep sound every few seconds. I told the staff immediately when I entered the room but it took them 2 days to fix it after I complained 4 times. Everything was good after that but it was disappointing since all they needed to do was to change the battery which takes few seconds.

The location is perfect, next to Capitol and walking distance to city center (10-15 min walk). They gave me a corner room when I said I am staying for a conference. Breakfast was fine and staffs were friendly.

we had reserved 2 rooms. We were assigned 2 rooms that were behind a wall and possibly a bit cooler. However there were no windows, which my wife does not like. We went back to the reception and we were assigned other rooms with rather small windows but a bit better than the original assigned ones. The lay-out of the motel is old-fashioned with rooms along an open balcony. Very hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

reservation stated valet parking available, but did not say mandatory at a cost of $25.00 plus tax. Breakfast was simple continental. Nothing special and coffee was not very good. It was included in the price of the room, so it was sufficient and okay.

• King Room - Disability Access

I stayed several times here however this time was NO GOOD because no hot water came out and there were several big noises during the night like something crushing in the parking lot.

Great location, reasonable price and clean room.

• Two Double Beds

Bathroom facilities are a bit run down, as in shower/tub doesn't drain well.

Just what we needed. Great location, clean rooms, friendly staff. And a great value.

• Two Double Beds

Booking failed to contact La Quinta with our reservation. We arrived at destination and La Quinta had no reservation for us. Calls needed to be made but were on hold with booking.com for an hour. No answer...so thank God La Quinta gave us a room..but at their price. Will never use your services again

They didn't have eggs! Why would you ask how the eggs were in the questions

Didn't like the appearance of the hotel, it looks like a motel Walkway to room very dingy and our room in the corner overlooked a brick wall. The breakfast had limited choice - cereal and waffles (cook yourself) with only syrup, no fruit or cream to add..... no other cooked items, some fruit pieces, and eating off plastic has become a bit monotonous in La Quinta Hotels and not very 'green'

The room was very nice, comfy and clean The receptionist was very helpful and friendly The breakfast area was very clean and pleasant lady keeping things nice as we were there. Pool area was ok

The complex was very tired and run-down. Common areas (lifts etc) needed new flooring and paint. Room was dark.

All staff were very polite & helpful, handy to the capitol building, room was clean. Hotel was easy to get to in a quiet area of the city. Reasonable continental breakfast.

• Two Double Beds

The exterior of the hotel was kind of scary. Pools of water in the exterior hallways. Elevator was shabby, small and questionable. Resorted to vending machines because we arrived late and there was not a single restaurant within sight.

The room was fine. Clean. Beds comfortable. TV good. AC easily controllable. Vending machines took credit cards.

The room was very nice and clean, spacious, with personal coffee machine and hair dryer included. And the price was very affordable. The air conditioner was a bit loud, but I still could perfectly sleep with its (stable) sound and it was not overfreezing.

• Two Double Beds

Parking charge. Price of 1 night stay for twin bed room. Some outlets didn't work. Not much lotion or soap given.

Staff was cool. AC worked well. Decent location.

This facility does not meet the usually standards of La Quinta Inn's. I don't know how old it is, but it just felt dirty everywhere. The room door had a 1/2 inch gap in it. The bathroom was too small. DOUBLE BEDS, no one has used those since I Love Lucy! The street noise kept us up half the night. Regardless of price I will select a different hotel in the area next time.

The Staff and the location.

Mandatory valet parking for $25/day. Feels like a rip off, I'd rather have them price in in directly.

Breakfast was slightly better than usually in these type of places.

• Two Double Beds

There was no area on the premises for my dog to do her business. Also though the location is walkable to 6th street, there is a lot of vagrancy and the area is not well lit.

I liked the walking distance to 6th street.

• Two Double Beds

They need to upgrade the pillows, very flat, also why are a bunch of hotels no longer offering fridges and microwaves for left overs?? Uhg.

It is Literally next door to the Capitol building and a 2-5 min Lyft drive from downtown. Very convenient location for the price.

• Two Double Beds

There was no information or do not disturb sign, the breakfast area was small, and the doors didnt shut to the bathroom. No food onsite except breakfast.

The staff and location

• Two Double Beds

When you need something like toothpaste they won't deliver it in your room, you have to go the front desk to get it.

Location is great, good value for your money due to location

• Two Double Beds

The housekeeping was sloppy. The sheets were hardly changed and the room was seldomly cleaned,that is vacuumed or swept. There were occasions when we were in the room and just asked for the towels to be changed but improvements are needed in this regard as well with breakfast

The location to the hotel with regard to the Capitol and U T

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

• Two Double Beds

Service? I mean, no one would clean my room, at all. I was gone for a big chunk of the day for most of my stay, and my room was never cleaned and the bed never made. Staff seemed disinterested in their job as well. Upon arrival, there was construction at the main door, and I couldn't find the other door so I could check in. A gentleman watched me round the building and never once offered help. Just letting me continue to bumble around, looking like a fool, which, admittedly, I kind of was. I've worked in management in the service industry for a long time; you always ask someone if they need help if they look confused, and I definitely looked confused!!!!

Bed was comfy, and bathroom was clean.

It felt and looked unsafe and unclean. Breakfast had the very basics. All disposable stuff. Has a budget motel feel to it, but the prices don't match... you even have to pay for parking. I've heard other La Quintas are much better, but this was my first and last time.

It is located close to the Capitol and in walking distance from 6th street.

• Two Double Beds

We were unable to get a good nights' sleep both nights because of groups or parties making a lot of noise coming and going between 2:30 - 3:00 am. When I complained after the first night, we took the opportunity to change rooms but the same thing happened the next night. As instructed by the front desk person (very nice, sympathetic, and as helpful as she was able to be), I called down when the disturbance occurred...at 2:30am! but then it started up again a few minutes later. Both nights were were awakened by the noise. It was particularly upsetting because we had to get up very early Saturday morning for my daughter's graduation ceremony in Waco. Also, the hallways had a musty, mildewy odor. There were several areas that seemed shabby or in disrepair. The air-conditioning in the room was either too cold or not enough. And last, the breakfast was about as uninteresting and low budget as could be. The choices were minimal and even the fresh fruit, apples and oranges, appeared to be the cheapest available. We were given a 50% discount for one of the nights, which was nice, although both nights were very unpleasant. I realize now we paid more for location than quality but if I were to do it again, I would pay more for better. I have stayed at other LaQuintas that were just fine, which was why I thought this one would be, to.

We liked the location. The staff were nice and as helpful as they could be. The beds were comfortable. We really liked the "no party" policy contract that we, and presumably all other guests, were required to sign. We were in San Antonio and then Austin for my daughter's graduation from the Army Baylor DPT program. (She is an Air Force Lt.). There were two ceremonies, one at Fort Sam on Friday and one at Baylor in Waco on Saturday morning. Since we had to get up very early Saturday morning, we were looking forward to a good nights sleep. Our visit to Austin was part of the on going celebration.

• Two Double Beds

Exterior is fairly dirty. Rooms are very clean!

Didn't know prior to booking that parking was by valet and that you had to pay for that $27.00 a day. It's alright but knowing before hand would have been nice so we can plan accordingly.

• Two Double Beds

We were very disappointed to learn there was only valet parking at a cost of $25 a night; this was not indicated in the listing for this place on your site. The whole facility is old and worn and needs updating. The room with two double beds was very small, as was the bathroom.

Person at desk in evening of our arrival was helpful in helping identify a place from which we could order pizza delivery. Men painting around office entry were helpful getting our loaded cart with our belongings to our car so we could load the car.

See above.

I was surprised. It looked like a bunker in a war zone. I was not told there was no parking except valet parking. It cost more to park than to rent my rental car.

• Two Double Beds

We saw a valet back someones car into the curb. The main office was under construction and was kind of scary. There is only one elevator and its in the lobby. Elevator didnt have a/c so it was hot and our room was on the 4th floor. You have to use your room key for everything. Pool is small and in direct sunlight all day and when its not its taken over by a bunch of teens. The daily parking fee is insane, it ate through all of our extra cash.

Check-in is fast and easy. You can have someone help you with bags and there's valets. Valets are super friendly and helpful as well. Beds were super comfy and so were the pillows. A/c worked very well and it was a cool little upgrade wall mount thing. Shower was really nice and spacious. The room is very nice. The hotel is right next to the capitol, down the street from the skate park, and within walking distance of the Austin Convention Center and downtown. Staff was incredible and super friendly, like I would honestly come back just to visit the staff, they were extremely helpful. The hotel charged us more than the amount shown on booking.com, but it was all taken care of in a nice and professional manor. Continental breakfast is as good as you would expect it to be, but I loved the Texas shaped waffle iron. Everything was well stocked until breakfast was over, only thing I would add is more waffle irons. We were there for rtx, so as you can imagine the breakfast room was packed every morning and it took a while to get a waffle.

• Two Double Beds

The room booked was not available so we got assigned another room with less beds, a sofa instead, and charged the same price... No discount although what was booked was not provided.

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The toilet was difficult to flush. You had to hold the handle down for awhile for the toilet to completely flush.

There were only boiled eggs at breakfast, no sausage, and the coffee was awful.

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The room was a little dirty. The property itself looked very outdated. If I would have known this I would have booked at another location. I had no choice but to pay for valet parking at this location. If I known that I would have picked another location.

The breakfast was good and the staff was friendly.

• Two Double Beds

Did not like the extra charge for valet parking that we didn't know about in advance. Construction on lobby made it difficult to get in and out of hotel. Felt the rate was too high for service we got. Staff was not friendly.

I wish I had known I had to pay for parking, especially the high cost. I saved nothing on a lower cost for the room.

The location was easy access and not difficult to find.

• King Room - Disability Access

Having to pay to park my vehicle each time is an extra expense that wasn't explained to me up front prior to my booking, or, with the hotel staff.

Right in the heart of Downtown Austin.

Dirty, old, very hot, the staff couldn't be bothered. Checked in and found what appeared to be mouse droppings in the bathroom. They receptionist didn't believe me at first and had to come by and check. Then I was given a different room. In the end, they took off something in the region of $40 off my bill, but that was already ruined for me. Location is sort of central, but you still need to walk at least 10-15 minutes to go anywhere remotely nice, so not good (in the heat and around some rough-looking people). Dealt with 3 different staff during my stay, the first receptionist mentioned above was actually the best, the other 2 would hardly speak to me when I asked them some questions - for example about my final bill. Just not a very pleasant experience overall, and I wouldn't recommend this place to others.

Very big and comfortable bed

The renovations were a little bothersome as their wasn't any public restrooms to use before checking in.

It was in a great location. We walked most places. It was also very comfortable.

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

There were roaches in the room, and the booking information did not make clear that there was a 25-dollar-per-night mandatory valet parking fee. If I had known that, I would not have selected that accommodation. The reading lamps next to the bed did not work, and it was difficult to get my luggage to my room and then into and out of it, because of the narrow walkways and keyed-entry doors that swung shut too quickly.

• Two Double Beds

When we came in the tv didn't work had to call someone to get it to work, the bathroom was dirty and the hair dryer had old hair hanging off of it!

For the price of the room, it would have been nice to have has some bottled water in the fridge as a complimentary perk. Water is relatively inexpensive item esp. if the hotel buys in bulk. Often travelers arrive hungry and thirsty and some cold water would make for a good start to a trip!

Cleanliness and size of the room.Liked the fact that there was an ironing board and great TV.

• Two Double Beds

Paid parking of $25 that was not clear when making reservation. Lobby was under construction and was a mess. Pool was not kept very clean.

Close too Capitol. Room was spacious and comfortable.

• Two Double Beds

Hotel was having rehab done on the lobby which was inconvenient, your listing said nothing about the mandatory valet parking at $25 a day, it was filled with frat boys (literally as we checked in the pool had a dozen dudes holding coors light cans), and I have never actually seen a bottle opener mounted in a hotel bathroom before!

It was very convenient to the theatre we were attending and many bars and restaurants Q