Reviews of La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Metro Airport 3 stars

30847 Flynn Drive, Romulus, MI 48174, USA

#9 of 25 hotels in Romulus

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

Excellent location, so so room location

Room was very close to exit door. I got in late so people were leaving through the door as I was trying to sleep. Very loud.

Comfy bed. Speedy check-in.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

Nice staff, fast shuttle, nice room 3rd floor.

Hall carpets need shampooing.

Desk clerk cheerfully reassigned room when I said first room on the ground floor smelled stuffy and dusty, like unused for a while.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Nice comfortable hotel in Metro Detroit.

Alarm clock didn't work in room.

Room was spacious and clean. Bed very comfortable. Only complaint was alarm clock didn't work and partner had a very early flight.

Nice room for the price!

It didn't bother me, but, some might not like how much you can hear the planes flying right over the hotel all hours of the day/night. My guess is that most hotels in the area have that issue since they ARE conveniently near the airport! However, I'm not sure if a higher quality hotel would have better soundproofing (but, then you would likely have to pay more).

It was a pretty decent room and bathroom for the money! It was also conveniently located near a Bob Evans (right across the parking lot) & right across the street from long-term parking with shuttle service to the airport. The hotel discount will save us $100 in parking fees vs. parking at the airport garage. We were very happy about that! Most of the staff that we encountered were nice. So, all-in-all, we would definitely stay there again if/when we fly out of Detroit.

I would recommend

I like the parking near hotel if traveling. A shuttle is right there to take you to the airport. The hotel has a shuttle that leaves every 30 min. We missed our flight after getting little sleep and needed to stay another night for changed flight. The staff let us have the same room since it wasn't check out time yet. We were able to rest. That was excellent service.

A great last night of our vacation

Scrambled eggs over cooked but nice to have a spacious location for breakfast provided.

Location near to airport, good value, laundry was a bonus, quick check-in, room was large and clean, exercise room near main lobby felt safe and allowed for a 1 hour delayed checkout to 1 PM.

Exceeded all expectations. Told co-workers, spouse, and friends.

Front desk staff, Sheila, was professional, helpful and friendly. Process to ask for pickup at airport was very easy. Driver was friendly and on time. Hotel van was clean. Thank you!

Convenient & clean.

Coffee could have been stronger.

Very clean. Good choice at breakfast & food was fresh. Personable staff. We decided to stay there for convenience, since it is close to the airport. Transportation was easy both to and from.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Room was a revulsion. Breakfast awful. Won't visit again.

Room was nasty dirty. Weird 'gel' type material piles on the nightstand... don't even want to know what the hell that was for. The breakfast was AWFUL !!!!

bed was ok.

Great place if you don't mind the airplanes flying over.

Airplanes flying right over hotel...our window - evening & early morning.

Great location - close to airport & rental cars. Shuttle to/from airport. Comfortable bed.

Convenient location and shuttle service to/from airport, can be a negative if you're ear sensitive

The clock radio wasn't working so we plugged it in....at 12 midnight the radio blasted the Muslim call to prayer. Sat me right up trying to figure out where it was coming from. So now we know why it was unplugged. Airplanes flight pattern is often directly over the hotel. We chose the 3rd (top) floor and every evening/night & 5:15 am they roared over our window. Otherwise, nice & quiet.

Close to airport & rental car. Easy access to freeways. 5:30 starting time for breakfast was good for early flight. Good size room, good A/C, clean, comfortable mattress & pillows. Bob Evans restaurant next door.

Comfortable and convenient place to stay near the airport.

The food items at breakfast could have been better. I took a muffin that seemed to be still thawing out from the freezer, and a hard boiled egg that was too hard and rubbery. The coffee tasted fine though.

Room was comfortable and modern. The shuttle to the airport was convenient and fast.

The hotel was nice compared to others I’ve stayed at in the area. Could use a little tweaking to ma.

Leaking shower faucet. Having to stand in cold water to start the shower. Toilet wouldn’t flush. Curtains wouldn’t close completely so the light from the parking lot shined in right into our eyes when we were trying to sleep.

The building and area were very nice.

Our flights were delayed and room was held.

Letting you know that the shuttle name isn't always the name of the hotel. Name was completely different.

Our flights were delayed and room was held. Night desk clerk was very friendly and helpful

One word sums it up, terrible!!

The front desk employee. The cold be. The fact I booked t in part for the shuttle and shuttle did not show up. No bathtub. Dirty shower. Not a pleasant stay and will tell my family and friends about our stay. The airport cab cost $20 when the shuttle was a no show.

Nothing. The shuttle didn't show up. The room was freezing and heater was not working. Sheila at the front desk refused to take our calls after we called her twice to get some heat.She hung up on us.

dissatisfaction

the service of shuttle between hotel and airport are unstable. although the hotel reception informed me every 30 minutes but I was waiting at airport for 49 minutes to get their bus into the hotel. the window sealing of the room is very bad. you heard every noise of combustion engine if there is a vehicle pass by the hotel.

location is okay, very close to the airport and hotel provide the shuttle service to the airport.

My go-to spot when visiting Detroit.

Eggs and sausage were horrible. Don't bother providing the "hot" part of breakfast if this is the best you can do.

Stay here many times. The facility is great and the staff very friendly and accommodating. The basic breakfast is appreciated - ditch the eggs and sausage. Awful!

Nice enough

Have cleaner rooms....I shared mine with a large spider. 🙄

Because I checked into my room at 2a.m. I requested late check out and was granted 1p.m. check out which was GREAT! 😉

Just what we needed.

Lack of vending machines on my floor and breakfast only until 9am.

After sleeping on a full sized air mattress with my partner for a whole week, it was amazing to sleep in an actual bed that allowed us to sprawl out. Also, 24-services plus free shuttle from the airport was fantastic. The driver was very nice and hardworking.

Nice hotel

Parking is very limited and not well lit.

Clean, soft bed, friendly staff. Close to airport but we were on top floor and could barely hear the planes.

Friendly staff.

The paint was peeling in the shower. but everything else was wonderful.

Friendly staff. I took off my bracelet before bed and forgot to put it on in the morning and didn't think about it until I returned home, I called and inquired no-one had turned it in and the staff asked that I call back the next day so they could check with housekeeping staff. I call back and the front desk did check and called me back. They didn't find my bracelet but they did call me back.

Great value. Great place.

Everything was great

This was my first time staying here and I was pleasantly surprised & pleased. The hotel was very high quality for what I’ve expected for the value. I’ve stayed at everyplace from the Westin, W to the Ritz and for the value & emergency situation... it was great! I would stay again!

would not stay again.

The cleaning staff obviously does not vaccum and clean........... when laying in bed and you lean over to turn off lights, you can see filthy dusty accumulation of dirt behind the night stands. It was really disgusting. Also, cleaning staff had a ghetto party in the hallway early in the morning, disrupting my stay. Had to open door and shout to them. Breakfast eggs were cold and sparse.

The bed was very comfortable.

Great place for an over night stay on your way to the airport.

Need to be mindful of the number of people boarding the bus at the same time. Sometimes you will need more than one.

Great place for an over night stay on your way to the airport.

We arrived in a snowstorm at 9:20 pm ( had said we would...

I overheard the front desk staff complaining to management that it was unfair to give away people's reservations and going to bat for us (and several other people with reservations in line behind us). The supervisor yelled at them within the hearing of customers, which I thought was very unprofessional. Room was fine and desk staff outstanding but I will never reserve at La Quinta again given their obvious choice to try to make extra money over honoring their reservations.

We arrived in a snowstorm at 9:20 pm ( had said we would arrive around 9 pm) and staff told us they had been directed by management to give rooms away first come first served and ignore reservations. Because of the snowstorm we would have had extreme difficulty finding another room nearby and my husband had to be at the airport at 5 am. Desk staff went out of their way to find us an out of service room (no tv, etc.) and fix it up for us.

Welcoming, clean, comfortable... will be back.

5:15 breakfast for those who have to catch 5:30 shuttle.

Staff was very very nice.. left too early for full breakfast,was able to eat fresh fruit and have some coffee...beautiful hotel... had a good night sleep..

We chose this hotel to be close to the airport, but very pleasantly surprised by the facilities!!

We found the pillows a little firm for our liking. Would suggest having a variety of soft and firm. There's lots of room on the king-size bed for extra pillows.

The furnishings were very good - happy to have the fridge and microwave and desk. Bob Evans right next door was very convenient. Excellent climate control -- not too noisy and everything worked properly. Light switches on base of lamps on bedside tables and desk were easy to use. Clean, spacious bathroom. Outstanding free airport shuttle service!

Convenient motel, fast airport shuttle service, easy to get reasonable Uber to downtown.

Cold bathroom. Shower bar at from of shower.

Room was at end of carpeted hall--difficult for 77 year old to Pull luggage on carpet at 1 am. Cold bathroom. Old coffee left in pot otherwise room was clean till a knock on the door at 8am. Man stated he had to change room in a hurry the afternoon before and he accidentally left his belt in a top drawer. Five items of his clothing remained in top drawer. Breakfast set up very nice. Lobby and first floor area modern and impressive. Fast reasonable Uber service to downtown Detroit area. Staff at night very pleasant with check in. Daytime person acted like I was a bother when I asked about joining La Quinta travel club. Asked to repeat same information (address, phone, e mail) I wrote out Five hours before when I checked in. Loved Ease of Wi Fi connection.

Other than the fact that the advertised breakfast was not available, my stay was very pleasant.

I was not able to get breakfast because when I got there (around 8:30) all the food was gone.

Room was good --comfortable bed, TV available, bath/shower clean and desk available with light. Staff that I interacted with was very pleasant and helpful.

We would stay there again. The staff was very nice.

The shower door would not close and water was all over the floor. The bathroom door wouldn’t stay open. The curtains were falling off the window.

The room was nice size and they had a refrigerator and microwave in the room.

Before booking call and verify

Much confusion about parking. Booking.com website advertised up to 7 or 8 days of parking included. Upon arrival and check in they knew nothing about it. After some discussion with desk personnel and management they reluctantly gave voucher for parking. Seems the website and the owners have some communication challenges to overcome

Rooms and lobby were very nice. Recently renovated. Comfortable bed.

The hotel was updated and clean

The heater didn’t work. I had to use the wall window one and it wouldn’t turn off unless you unplugged it. The pillows were short length wise but very puffy and so for me they were uncomfortable. I prefer longer and less puffy pillows. The gal who cleaned my room the first time didn’t do a thorough job :-( she fixed the bed and didn’t replenish the bath towels. The other gals who cleaned the room did a good job.

The hotel was updated and clean

I would use this facility again for an early flight.

But I didn't like being dropped off on the lower lever of the airport and then taking the elevator to the airlines check in with all of the baggage. It seems they could have dropped us off on the upper level departing flights.

Clean and comfortable. There was fresh coffee early in the morning and check out was quick. The shuttle was right on time from the motel to the airport.

Nice stay overall.

The shuttle could have been a bit quicker... 20 degrees at midnight when you're tired can be a bit much. But... probably nothing they could do about that.

It was nice and quiet and we slept well.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Overall a good stay.

The weather was terrible...a heavy snow storm had gripped the Detroit area. It was a bit chaotic at the airport getting a shuttle to take us to the hotel. A DTW worker helped us get onboard a shuttle that would take us to the hotel.

Good nights sleep before an early morning flight. We were at the end of a long quiet corridor. The only downside was the room was cold and we had to wait in the lobby area for the heat to turn on for the room to get comfortable.

Love La Quinta

The shower was terrible (possibly just this room??) large lovely bathroom but no water pressure to speak of. The breakfast left little to the imagination which is odd for La Quinta's as a chain but I just chalk it up to this location.

I LOVE staying at this chain of hotels. Rooms are always large, modern and comfortable.

My stay was nice otherwise

The desk attendant they were all either on the phone putting on makeup. Or didn't seem that friendly

It was very comfortable, nice and clean and hot breakfast and pool

overall good, but need to improve

The heating wasn't very easy to control and the WiFi didn't send messages.

the room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Elisha went above and beyond to make sure I was taken care of.

solid choice when traveling from DTW

hallway carpets were stained and didn't seem clean. prior to our visit, the front desk person who answered our call was not very polite or helpful. however, the people working the desk when we arrived and left were great!

comfy bed. shuttle to airport was very reliable.

for the money it was ok.

Breakfast items were very limited. Disappointed as other hotels I have stayed in were much better food wise, such as having eggs,sausage etc. We actually went out to have breakfast before going to the airport,another added expense.

The bed was very comfortable

Comfortable stay close to the airport

The halls smelled of smoke although the rooms did not fortunately. The breakfast was a bit basic, mostly bread and muffins. Some bacon or sausages would have been nice. Not bad, just limited.

Hotel is very close to the airport which we wanted, but luckily did not hear one plane. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was very big. There was complimentary coffee, muffins and fruit upon arrival which were much appreciated.

Clean and comfortable room and overall a good value for this location.

Room plumbing needs some work. Shower head dripped and sink faucet was loose. Lack of power outlets by the bed. Thermostat was not working (had an error code instead of display).

Convenient location for early morning flight. Shuttle every half hour.

quick and easy with comfort making your travels comfortable

wasnt there long enough

tho by the airport there is a Bob Evans walking distance to grab food when need, if your trying to get a work out in also a gym and with weights and machines worked also had a micowave and fridge

Very good hotel and very well worth the money!

Not getting to sleep longer in that bed because it was awesome lol but we had a plane to catch lol

Everything was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful and the beds were super comfortable!

Great place for the price, especially if you're traveling with pets.

Mattress was lumpy and wobbly.

Night desk staffer was extraordinarily friendly and helpful. She placed us in a room by the back door so our pup could easily get in and out to go do her thing.

Nice place to stay when flying out of Detroit!

It's an older motel and was in need of some painting and upgrading.

Very convenient to the airport. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Beds were comfortable.

It was romantic for us!

It was romantic for us! Due to early flight out we wanted to be all packed and near the airport. This motel was a great value. Clean, up to date, allows our Sheltie, had hard boiled eggs, fruit, and breakfast sandwiches in addition to the usual motel bagels/bread offerings. Did not take advantage of it this trip because we had other transportation, but it is possible (contact the La Quinta staff to verify) to add 8 days of parking for $20.00 at a lot close to the La Quinta, quite the savings.

Perfectly adequate for an overnight stay if you have no expectations of connectivity.

Worst wi-fi I have experienced in a very long time. Strange room layout --- coffee maker as far away from water as possible. Literally the other side of a large room.

Convenient place to stay overnight because I was flying out of Detroit the next morning. Reasonably priced, clean, good-sized room.

Very comfy

Shower door should have been located on other side; got wet adjusting temperature Lots of lights in room, but room tended to be dark, as did bathroom. Would have liked a little brighter option for light in front of mirror for applying makeup Allergic to cats & would have liked to know if cat had been in room since facility is pet friendly

Large room, plenty of accessible outlets. Comfortable bed. Large shower, fluffy towels, fridge and microwave. Close to restaurant, plus had room service

Little stress with pet and lots of parking

The cleaning service never changed our sheets .... and pool was closed .

The location was convenient to airport but the pool was closed for the season...it was August 16th????

A great value in a convenient location.

The breakfast was lackluster at best-- the hard boiled eggs tasted off, no cream cheese for the bagels, etc.

The room was exactly as pictured, and clean. Great location. The bed was comfortable and the room was large. The mini fridge was a bonus.

The room was comfortable, and the ability to watch flights...

The room temperature was too low upon entering, it was 56 degrees. We had to turn it up to 74 to get warm. I appreciate air conditioning on a summer day, but 56 is way too low.

The room was comfortable, and the ability to watch flights coming in was fun.

Good location new hotel

Priximity to airport also bring noise when plane take off

Location- close to airport. Good for early flight. Hotel looks new and with good design. Comfortable beds

Got what I paid for 👍

The pool was closed. Not enough information about where to go for drinks and food. I wish we had our room on the other side of the hotel because the planes were loud. Other than that it was cool.

The room was cool. Staff was nice

Comfortable, practical overnight before flight

This hotel is a bit older, the shower especially was a bit odd-glass doors which opened the exact opposite of what you'd expect (you get wet turning on the water and adjusting the temp before you get in), but spacious and clean! Comfy, clean beds. A good economical choice if you're flying. Shuttle service to terminals so helpful.

OK

Breakfast is terrible. Almost all of the outlets were busted so say goodbye to charging your phone. Ceiling had signs of leakage. A/C was set to ice cold even though it was like 60 degrees outside. I nearly froze to death during the night. A/C somewhat loud. Room could have been cleaner. Some of the furnitute is damaged.

Good comfortable bed. Somewhat clean.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Kim made me feel welcome, bed made me feel comfortable - quick trip, would select again.

No complaints, was not there long enough to identify concerns.

I arrived well after midnight and Kim checked me in with ease. She was a pleasure to chat with at that late hour and was efficient and helpful. Bed was comfortable, shower had great water pressure. I needed a place for a quick 'crash' before an am meeting and it did the job!

Staff made every effort to repair TV but we did not want to...

Breakfast was not earlier enough before leaving for flight. TV and alarm clock in room did not work. Parking was not free but was purchased at a discount price.

Staff made every effort to repair TV but we did not want to change rooms.

I needed a place to crash before an early morning business...

I needed a place to crash before an early morning business flight and this location provided an ideal blend of convenience and value. Shuttle was clean and timely. Even had apples out at 4 am to grab and go.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

Comfortable airport hotel, will return.

The AC / heating unit in the room makes a little bit of noise. I wish they had scrambled eggs and bacon and not hard boiled eggs.There were no bananas.

It was a nice comfortable room and bed. No noise from the airport

The rooms are large with a good bed, Location is good

Bathroom not well cleaned (shower) and this counts in general for the facility The breakfast is extremely poor

The rooms are large with a good bed, Location is good Staff is friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Woun't stay anywhere else!

Due to an early flight we were not able to eat your breakfast but believe it would be as good as other service we enjoyed at LaQuinta-DTW

Front desk staff very helpful and courteous.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Convenient, clean and comfortable

Airport shuttle at McNamara terminal was sparse and did not see . . called and then saw bus Towel service does not include wash cloth

Room was spacious and clean Wifi service stable

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

Okay. Would not stay again.

Noisy, and there were partiers in the hallway at 1 am that were loud, slamming doors. The front desk clerk did come up after I called her and the rude guests did quiet down, but to be awaken at 1 am when one has a long travel day ahead is very frustrating. Unable to change heat setting and air was very dry in room. Hallway floors had debris on them.

Front desk clerk took me seriously about disruptive hotel guests.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

The staff and breakfast was a good experience

For most people staying at this location are from Michigan or Canada flying south. The blankets are very thin where I had to turn up the heat to keep warm. A better comforter would be better and save heat on your electric bill....thanks

The staff and breakfast was a good experience

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Sleepless near Detroit Metro Airport.

The airplanes were flying right over my room! The sound and vibrations were loud and I was not prepared for that!!! Not a good place to be if you need rest. Also the bed was soft in the middle, and hurt my back. The other fixtures were OK, it was clean. ..The pillows them selves could have been changed out though.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

La Quinta, a place we will stay again.

The pillows were small and square. The wall thermostat did not control the temp. Due to the timing of our flight, we could not enjoy breakfast.

The room was quiet. The Lobby was very welcoming. The staff was friendly. The bathroom was spacious. The staff explained how the parking worked-an extra $15 was worth it.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

The room was clean and comfy.

I would have liked a caffeine-free diet soda in the store. It was very difficult to plug in my cpap next to the bed - the plug sparked and would not stay in the outlet. The 3 outlets around the bed were not secure in the wall. The shower drained v-e-r-y slowly; at the end of my shower I was standing in 2" of water.

The room was clean and comfy. Staff were friendly and helpful. I liked having a large shower stall and not having to step into a tub to take a shower.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

La Quinta is a great place to stay to make your flight and avoid traffic or weather difficul

Although the bathroom and shower were great, there were dark spots in the caulk in the shower.

The staff was friendly and responsive. The lounge area on each floor allowed us to meet friends and visit before dinner without hanging out in the chilly lobby. Nice touch to have the departure screen for flights in the lobby in case of changes. Appreciated the complimentary shuttle service to the airport as well. Would definitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Great find at the airport!

Bed too soft. Had to put ironing board under mattress to make it "sleepable"! A shower cap and small container of body lotion would have been helpful. There was only shampoo.

Staff excellent. Friendly, helpful. Two light bulbs were out in the bathroom and a young, smiling clerk climbed up on the counter to replace them since maintenance had already left.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

After asking about the airport shuttle service, and walking...

After asking about the airport shuttle service, and walking away from the registration desk, the woman called me back to ask if I'd been given a hotel business card at check in. I told her I hadn't so she gave me one and said I could call the number and the shuttle driver would pick us up right where he dropped us off. (My husband and I were returning to the hotel after dropping our daughter off at the airport). VERY helpful!

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

All in all we had a good experience and would definitely use look into again.

The bathroom floor behind the vanity had something on it that should have been found when cleaning.

We like that the location was supposed to the airport due to the fact that we had a cancelled flight. And the room was comfortable and meet our needs well. And the staff that checked us in and check this out we're very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Four Hours of Blissful Sleep

We could only suggest shower doors that slide both ways. Turning on the shower to be suddenly hit with cold water is no fun. We like to be able to adjust the temperature before stepping into the shower.

We spent only 4.5 hours in the hotel. Nevertheless, we made a decision that the next time we fly from Detroit to Peru, we will book a night at La Quinta. Actually, when we return home from Peru - my husband's homeland - in April, we will book an overnight in La Quinta. Not only was the bed comfortable and the room beautifully decorated, a lovely lady named Sheila was working at the desk around midnight. She was alert, helpful, and engaging. After driving treacherous roads from Northern Michigan to catch our early-morning flight to Peru the following day, she put us at ease so we could at least catch a few hours of needed sleep before our EARLY-morning wake-up call.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Great choice if you're hard of hearing

Our room was directly underneath the flight path as big jets landed at DTW; even the best ear plugs couldn't block that much noise! Breakfast (and coffee) was decidedly mediocre at best.

Tiki, the front desk clerk who seemed to work day and night, was an absolute delight. Housekeeping did a good job refreshing the room in a timely manner. Well-equipped exercise room.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Comparison to Custom of Desire

Bed and pillows ...waiting for the longest time at airport for the shuttle bus to arrive only after I called and requested!

Location, location, location, location,location, location, location location location location...... .................