Reviews of La Quinta Inn Austin University Area 3 stars

5812 Interstate 35 North, Austin, TX 78752, USA

#159 of 193 hotels in Austin

Although it's technically in a good location, the property itself is very run down and has lots of loud people hanging out in the parking lot at all hours. It's pretty divey and smells like mildew.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There were dead bugs all over the room and bathroom, when we got to the rooms the pool area was closed would like for them to let me know before booking.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast was good but wasnt fresh :-( . No waffle maker no eggs no biscuits or sausage. No apple juice . No donuts .no shade at the pool. The pool looked a bit dirty.

Bed and room clean and comfy .loved that they left a makeup remover wipe which was extremely helpful and lifesaver because I had forgotten mine. Breakfast was free and there were many choices to choose from (cereal, toast, fruit , yogurt, orange juice, bagel, refrigerated pig in blanket). The pig in a blanket was a great choice and the packaged muffins were good too.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom was tiny, this is a double room so I expected a little more space. The bathroom looks old, it needs a remodel. The breakfast area is just not satisfactory at all. Too small an area to accommodate more than 15 people at a time, people are all over each other trying to get to the microwave, muffins etc. Just a poor choice of area for breakfast.

I liked the convenience of being close to a lot of places, parking is good, in front of the door.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Double beds are not big enough for two people. Not sure why they even use these in hotels. They would be ok for small children but not adults. Bathroom was a little concerning as the door was falling apart like someone had kicked it in before.

It was quiet.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Property was a lot older than I expected for the price. No water pressure in the shower and air conditioning didn’t cool. The continental breakfast consisted of frozen foods.

It was close to venue I was attending.

Located smack bang in the hood and facing the freeway, this property is about as far from the University as most places in Austin. Doorframe was poorly installed leaving a half inch gap. Perfect for hearing all the construction trucks and workers they allowed to park right outside central block of rooms. If you enjoy getting rudely awoken at 5:45am, 6am, 6:30am and 7am this is the hotel for you!!!!

The TV worked.

There was a loud party a few rooms down that wasn’t addressed until we called the front desk. This was around 4 am.

Good distance from downtown. House keeping did a good job.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I got contact dermatitis on my left cheek where I slept on my side and my daughter had the same on her arms. It’s probably because the room was untidy. The flush wasn’t working and I reported it but nobody came to fix it. The coffee maker wasn’t working as well in room 117.

The key system failed and we were stuck in the cold for over an hour. We were just offered a similar room with no discount or comfort for the inconvenience. We also had reservations to eat somewhere and couldn’t make it because our things were locked in the room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The property felt old and dirty. The walls had mold, the carpet felt sticky and smelled, and the beds were stiff. The tv wouldn't work our entire stay.

The location was good.. nothing else about it was good..

I didn't like the surroundings. There was a big empty parking lot on the side, by my room. If made me very uncomfortable, especially.

I was old, but well maintained.

Free breakfast was only cereal and toast. Sink was clogged - to busy to report. Shower small - not made for 6’4” man Gave away king bed room even though I reserved well in advance. Clock didn’t work.

No bedbugs

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The location by the freeway but I had earplugs.

I slept very well! A clean and comfortable bed, a clean bathroom, a hot shower, a cup of coffee. I came away well-rested and that's all I needed. thank you! PS your front desk staff is amazing!! :)

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

OLD HOTEL . No modern convienence .Couldnt find empty plug for my Phone Charger..Small bathrooms .just needs a modern make over..

Front desk clerk when we checked in was great..

Construction in the area posed minor issues.

The value was exvellent! A clean and comfortable room close to downtown for under $75. Far exceeded our expectations. Staff was friendly and helpful and 24hr on site security personnel. Will definitely stay there again.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I didn't like how long it took to check in. I also didn't like that there wasn't working camera's around the entire facilities. The bathroom tub is super high and dangerous and smelled like mold and was dirty. When leaving 10 - 15 minutes before check out our keys to get in the room were deactivated. This is super inconvenient when trying to put pack and load up vehicles with luggage. When checking out the clerk stated that I had a balance and the clerk that I checked in with failed to mention that even though I had already swiped that I had not been charged yet. This was all an inconvenience for myself and my guests. When telling the clerk as checking out that our keys were deactivated all he stated was yea that happens. That does not just happen, not even a sorry was stated to me.

I liked the price of the hotel before I arrived.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathroom is too small. Carpet is too old and not clean around the front door. I checked in Friday, at midnight. I didn't have hot water in the toilet sink (Rm #124). So first thing Saturday morning, I complained to the front desk and ask them to fix it. The front desk took the information and told me they'll "look in to it". I came back early evening and still NO hot water. So I went back to the front desk and again, notify them about the hot water. The front desk just apologized and also said that there nothing they can do at this time. Very disappointing.

Comfortable bed.

I was expecting a fridge and microwave because there was one in the last room I stayed in here, but there was not one. I probably overlooked it, but maybe it could be more clear.

I love that they allow pets with no extra charge!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I don’t like the fact I couldn’t have as requested fridge for my meds and microwave. Would be nice to contact me or let me know at check in. Also there was someone arrested I will not post reason but I felt we should of been offered another room for our safety. Hopefully in near future security will be tough and parking lots corrected. There were not enough parking and too much road damage. The large parking area available was too far from rooms and not lit.

The breakfast pretty good selection for continental and coffee good. Restaurant next door was convenient and good food. Staff is very nice and professional. Housekeeping very polite and willing to provide whatever you need. I love the comfort of rooms, the beds, and study area.

Morning free breakfast was weak. Need more of a selection.

Location was great. Easy to get north or south on l 35. Also restaurants were walking distance. GREAT I LOVED THAT.

When we turned the heating off, the room temperature was "immediately" cold (within some minutes). The heater was so loud we had to turn it off while sleeping. During winter you don't want to choose between cold or quiet.

It was cheap and close to the highway

This is an outdated facility and generally not up to La Quinta standards. The rooms need re-painting as does the exterior. The wall plugs also need replacing. The only acceptable area was the lobby area.

Beds were of acceptable quality, however a variety of coverings instead of only a thick quilt would have been appreciated.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room looks outdated and the placement of sockets for charging electronics is not close to the desk where one can work.

The bed was comfortable, the room quiet. Traveling alone, I felt fairly safe. The place provides decent value for the money.

We had booked a room withKing bed and it was not available when we checked in, got a room with two full beds.

The location was convenient for our purpose of stay.

Bed was a little hard. Bathrooms are old, dated, little run down.

For the money on a vacation u can't stay better. Staff was great n accommodating. Would stay here again

It was an old grungy building. The showers had little pressure and the water temperature would go from freezing to hot for no reason. The beds were hard as a rock. The toilet wouldn't flush all the way and would make this long whistling noise for 30 minutes to keep you awake.

It was close to downtown. So if you wanted to get an uber, it was cheap.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The carpet looked dirty and the room smelled weird(not clean...sorry I can't find the right word). The smell made me question the cleanliness of the entire room and everything in it. breakfast could have been better. At least fresh batter to make waffles instead of everything being frozen,including the kolaches! The building looks like its not maintained on the outside much and there were some people renting on the bottom floor that were just hanging out outdoors that made us feel like the area was not safe.

The bed and pillows were comfortable. Happy that there was cable and free wifi.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was hard to find with my GPS. It seems maybe they moved or something; but it kept taking me to a property that was across the highway from where it actually was.

Close to an event I was attending

The barbershop that Bigfoot's family frequents has slightly less course, black hair on the floor than in the bathroom, here. Rinse that guy off before venturing a shower, and check your towels. In fact, bring your own towel. The bathroom area seemed like an afterthought, or was transplanted from a different hotel and made to fit. While the sleeping portion of the room was fine, the bathroom area left me a bit taken aback when I went for a late night shower. You want water? Get it from the sink. Just shove some of those curly hairs out of the way, pick up a "sealed" cup, and fill 'er up in the sink borrowed from a 1979 Winnebago. The vending machine had no water in it. Not even a button for it. "Breakfast" had no eggs, just pre-packaged muffins and some coffee. That was fine, I guess, but not what I had been hoping for.

The bed was comfortable, the room was quiet, blackout curtains were quite opaque. The staff was very friendly, even late at night when I had arrived. It was on a thoroughfare, which made it easy for Uber/Lyft to figure out where to pick me up.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Water pressure was not good. During my shower I completely lost water pressure. Was literally little sprinkle to none for about 4-5 minutes. This happened twice. Also would be good to have a toilet seat lid/cover. There is no room to place clothes when you have to dress in their. Clothes, towels, soap, etc can & did fall in the toilet. Bad for the plumbing if something should get stuck

The bed comfort & layout of the room

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The other bed was really bad...even felt like I was rolling into the center. The shower grout needs replacing. Breakfast and room quality were not worth the money. Even with the discount. I was in a hurry, trusted the site and was disappointed.

One of the beds seemed to be new. They allowed very early check in. The staff was friendly and went above what was asked.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is under the highway overpass; incredibly noisy. Also we were given a room that had not been cleaned; beds unmade, towels all over the floor. The key card didn't work and we had to go back to the main office 3 times for a new key.

The price was right for a last-minute stay, the room was clean enough but run-down. Bathroom sink was blocked, for example.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast should have at least scramble eggs and bacon or sausage or both just more variety! Just looks like it is not given an effort to provide a good breakfast. The pool wasn't cleaned up, it had bugs all over the pool. Cigarette smoke was coming into the non-smoking room on the first floor. Rug was filthy, my toddler was barefoot and his feet was black in a matter of minutes.

Front desk was very kind. I did not have a fridge in the room assigned to at first and she was nice enough to provide me another room with a fridge and a microwave. That made our stay much better for the family and my toddlers milk.

I left my card by accident on the nightstand. Called to check, they didnt find it. I cancel my card only for them to call 30 minutes later to say they did find it...

Very nice for the money. Soft fluffy blankets and pillows. Breakfast had a lot of options.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Good for 1 night but kinda dirty. Air did not work well. Had a connecting door that did not order and had noise and door jiggling come from all night. Breakfast was not good.

Meet our needs for 1 night all we did was check in get dinner sleep and leave.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The odor of the room wasn't very pleasing & the carpet was full of stains. The address provided by booking.com will not take you straight to the hotel but will leave you some where near.

Bed was very comfy Location was great

You should be told that there is no mini fridge so you can choose another room when booking. No hot water in shower; it ranged from luke warm to frigid and back again during one shower.

Very comfortable bed, everything clean, staff really nice.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The first receptionist wasn't to friendly so the other reception stepped in to help us

The building itself was nice as well as proximity to everything (walking distance).

The breakfast. Ran out of food by 8:00, ran out of orange juice.

The staff was very friendly, a comfy bed, and an incredibly powerful (like a massage) shower. And the Taco Village restaurant next door was well worth this particular La Quinta. Fantastic!

The floor was damp by the table and chair, felt like a leak had happened. The bathtub was extremely higher than a normal tub.

The price was okay. The breakfast was good, the hours for breakfast was great. The bed was comfy. The staff was friendly.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

The fact that when I arrived the front desk didnt explain that they would be charging my card (the card that I specifically said not to charge that I had another card for them to charge when I checked out. I wasn't aware that they were charging my card for the first night. That I checked in...usually it's not til you check out. And no came to the room to do house keeping the nights we stayed there. After my trip I checked my account and saw what they had done. .. contacted them they gave me the run around and got directed to the manager that NEVER returned my call (a month later). Horrible service.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The reception personel is friendly but the area did not make me feel welcome. The breakfast area is right accross the front desk and was not clean. The parking is not illuminated enough, and does not have enough paking space. The rooms are ok but had some smell that was not pleasant.

Is close to Downtown area and shopping centers.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

parking lot is dirty, walls are very thin you can literally hear everyones conversation, man hanging outside all night, housekeepers do not come till late afternoon around 4pm , business center is just one computer out in the opening next to front desk, They overcharge your card they say they are authorizing the amount you book it for but when you recieve the text about transaction it shows they charge more

They have good cable, pet friendly , and are located walking distance near restaurants

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The reservation information failed to convey to La Quinta from Booking.com that handicap access had been requested. Having to climb stairs for a handicapped person was both risky and difficult.

Room was clean. Management worked to make compensation for problems.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rate it was a tad high that average

Because traffic we arrived much later that expected, Front desk gentleman was extraordinary attentive, polite, my brother and family were highly impress about how proper and professional service we got at front desk, at arrival

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The rooms were decent. But there are signs for No Smoking but as soon as we're opened our room door it smelled as if someone had just smoke in there right before we walked in. Our room appeared to be clean but you can tell house keeping doesn't move things to clean behind stuff. But our stay was brief so not to bad

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

All the parties going on outside. We couldn't get no sleep lots of loud talking and laughing from 2:00am till 6:00am. My husband had a test the next morning, hope he does well with the little sleep we got.

Friendly staff and conf

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Being in the back was a little scary. There was not much around, and the side street was not well-kept at all.

The location was great! The rooms are nicer than the exterior would lead you to believe.

The room was not so clean the carpet was so nasty that we had to keep our shoes on!!!! The sink was cracked and there was some black mold in the room!!

The breakfast was ok!!!!

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking was awful. I think people are living in the hotel. Garbage in the parking lot. Work trucks blocking spots. Questionable characters smoking and watching people come and go.

Reasonable room for the price. Close to downtown.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The pictures on the internet were misleading. This is an old motel style facility which wasn't evident in the photos. My daughter and I were traveling alone and would not have chosen an outside entry facility intentionally. The hotel was also older than it appeared in the pictures.

Beds were really comfy.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Small. Dingy. Terrible old bathroom with antiquated fixtures, tub, and no fan. Motel 6 would have been larger and brighter. Stayed at La Quintas before. This one is not typical!!! Breakfast wasn't even worth the walk. Nothing on ice and waffles had to be toasted, no Pasternak, no milk. Pool quality.

The bed was the only good thing about it. Also staff was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 1 April 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

NO REFRIGERATORS IN THE ROOMS. PARKING WAS A BIT TOO FAR FROM OUR ROOMS. WOULD HAVE LIKE THE AIR CONDITIONER FAN TO HAVE STAYED ON, BUT IT CUT ON AND OFF. ROOM COULD HAVE BEEN COOLER.

ROOMS WERE VERY CLEAN AND FRESH. BED WERE COMFORTABLE. EASY OFF THE INTERSTATE. CLOSE TO DOWNTOWN WHERE OUR EVENT WAS HELD. FRONT DESK YOUNG MAN WAS VERY NICE AND VERY EFFICIENT. WE HAD TWO ROOMS, SO WE APPRECIATED THAT IT WAS AFFORDABLE.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Overpriced. Noisy waterlines. Made it uneasy to have a restful night. Pillows were worn and flat. Place outdated. Notified management. No consideration for restless visit. **Will not stay again, especially if paying about $160 a night.

Near expressway.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast, wasn't very good. Very cheap. TV was hard to turn on and change channels. Pillows were cheap. Shower had very little pressure and not very hot water.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

i guess i was looking for eggs and sausages for breakfast

This facility offered the convenience we needed for an overnight stay. Nothing fancy but provided all that we needed for a one night stay

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

Door looked like it has been previously broken into. The room smelled really badly of smoke (although apparently a non-smoking room). Felt rather grubby.

The room was quiet and a good size. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Location...seems like it was closer when I booked room but it was literally 20 minutes away from 6th street and other points of interest.

Free continental breakfast and front desk staff were friendly. Close to some shopping stores like target and some fast food joints

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Need to be driven by taxi because far away from the Downton. Bus is 10 minutes away, and 35 min to go downtown.

Nice hotel for business purpose. Everything is there, nice staff. It's a good step hotel.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Older hotel, dozens of small items needed repaired such as chipped paint on trim, rusted hinges on the bathroom door, cracked ceramic tile in the bathroom, door to room did not work properly,only one of the two key cards worked.

Staff was nice.

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

noisy on first floor from people walking by no hot water in the morning breakfast was uninviting and a little confusing about what there was available/small space too outdated furnishings and stained carpet by the bed bedding had some small holes in it

coffee in the room, generously replenished by housekeeping wifi was good staff informative

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was a large gap in the door and it was very cold the night we stayed there. My husband stuffed toilet paper around the door and the room finally warmed up. The room wasn't that clean either.

Breakfast was terrible.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

Location was pretty rough, outside looked like it needed some TLC. I don't always mind motels, but this one was only just good enough for me to stay and keep reservation. Of course, the price was very low, serving as a reminder that you do get what you pay for.

The photos look very positive. Bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Once we checked in, we were unable to ring the front desk. The door didn't lock properly, we could hear highway traffic through our door due to a bad seal/weather stripping. The room didn't appear to have been cleaned well.

Check in staff was very friendly and answered my questions well

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

the price am the quality of the hotel are perfect. booking.com made the paperless check-in an they made it so easy to find what we wanted, where we wanted, at the price we wanted. Also the hotel staff were so accomidating and the hotel was really nice an located perfectly for our trip. O yeah an the breakfest was awesome! : )

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Property is a rundown property. Rooms were very bad, online information of King Suite is a joke, small room with tear down curtains, loud AC and mold smell. We booked two rooms and one of them was smelling so bad can't stay in there (Staff was friendly and helped to change the room immediately). Bed were not comfortable at all, you can see that it is sinking from middle.

Staff was friendly. Accommodated our request of early check-in.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

That our room was on the street. It felt so uncomfortable.

The room was large but I requested a room on the upper floor instead and that was ignored. Other than that it was a nice stay.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast needs some work.Breakfast was not up to par for La Quinta standards. No eggs... Extra small coffee cups...no waffle maker...

Very clean inside

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

The hotel could use some upgrades in the bathroom area, tub was extremely difficult to get in and out of. The door had a gap that you could see underneath it and that was a little unsettling.

The bed was surprisingly comfortable and I loved the black out curtains.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was extremely clean. I was not expecting much, but I pleasantly surprised. Our door lock stopped working during our second night and the staff was quick to fix this issue the following day (the battery inside of the lock unit had died). I was also pleasantly surprised by the free breakfast. For a group traveling for ACL, any freebie was a welcome addition.

The overall external aesthetics was okay, not very enticing, but works.

The room was really exceptional. They made sure it was cleaned everyday for the rest of our stay there. There's an iHop behind the establishment, that was also a plus. The staff were very accommodating, approachable and nice.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It's an older hotel and the floors sloped at a crazy angle on the second floor. There was NO view but that's to be expected given the location of the hotel. Getting into the driveway was a bit tricky because the pavement at the rear of the Hotel is cracked very, very badly from the trucks going in and out. That needs to be repaired if they don't want people complaining about scraping up the front end of their cars. Traffic along Frontage Road moves at an exceptional rate of speed and there is ZERO tolerance for drivers that are unsure of their surroundings. If you're moving slowly trying to find the driveway to this hotel, you might get rear-ended....

The Staff were courteous and the room was fairly nice.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms could be better, runs are in inconvience being so high ...Rene from front desk was great .. Others weren't so helpful ....loved the pool ...

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Staff could have been more pleasant. The "continental breakfast" was cold cereal and white toast. I drove 20 miles out of my way because the directions on google maps are wrong and they said "we know but there's nothing we can do" shrugged her shoulders and that was it. Don't waste your money go to Days Inn, they're great!

We liked the ice machine, about the only positive thing we can say.