Reviews of The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows 3 stars

#100 of 231 hotels in San Diego

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

This is a nice place.
    • Family Suite

This is a nice place. The pool and the poolside ambiance was great; music during the day, but not too loud. Water was warm and comfortable. The beds were a little soft, and not as good as we'd have liked, but they were ok.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Worth the money but I'd rather be close to the beach.

The pool area and lobby are used for functions and it made us feel a little like we were intruding on someone else's party.

I liked the ambience of the hotel. It made me imagine the Hollywood Era and the old movie star feel.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Frustrated at the beginning SUPER at the end
    • Family Suite

We arrive at 10:45 PM and there are only one employee (Leo). MY spouse got the car to take care of our 5 bags, no help and then we got lost to the room. I called Leo to get some other room within the principal building bu he explained there are no a availability. At the end he came to help us. It was very frustrating. We were traveling all day.

Coffee/ breakfast delicious. NANCY WAS SUPER/EXCELLENT WITH US.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Great place to stay!
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The staff is great, both Jesus', Jon, Melissa, the entire Hope Kitchen staff, EVERYONE is great and will help your relax or resolve any issue that arises.

This is not your standard hotel.
    • Family Suite

Be aware that the pool, onto which most rooms face, has music playing most of the afternoon. This isn't a quiet location. On the other hand, no complained that my children were, well, children.

This is not your standard hotel. Super friendly staff, great pool, accommodating for families and groups, excellent location!

Great location, friendly staff, nice pool, overall clean...
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The rooms rooms were dated, elevator didn't work properly, parking was too expensive, and restaurant food was not very good.

Great location, friendly staff, nice pool, overall clean facility.

Old time classic which needs some love.
    • Poolside Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

It could do with some cash spent on the bedrooms and public areas to get its greatness back from time gone by. Pool parties for non guests,mid afternoon. It didn’t have enough space to add to the already very busy pool area.

Gorgeous pool area. The staff were all great. Area is fine as we drove everywhere.The hotel has so much potential. The food in the bar is all good. Would stay again but would check on their extra events first.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Amazing hotel!
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Having a fridge in the rooms would have been nice. Be aware that there are pool parties from time to time

Friendly staff, great pool area, complimentary coffee, nice food at the restaurant - we enjoyed our stay very much

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

A disapointment, expected much more
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Internet didn’t work, internal phone for frontdesk didn’t work, cheap plastic (ripped) cover on the chairs. Checking out complete ignored our disapointment twice. That only made it worse. A lot of great stories on social media from the management, but for real not much for a lot of money.

Loved Our Stay!
    • Standard King Room

We loved our stay at this fabulous property. John at the front desk was excellent! Thank you for having him on your team. He is a true asset to your hotel. He was welcoming even before we arrived and had questions about our stay via land line. He was absolutely so helpful. We would love to stay here again for sure!!!

Old Hollywood Boutique charm that's a bit too sleepy to drag itself into the 21st Century
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I do feel this hotel is a bit overpriced for a hotel that could do with a bit of a spruce up. I resented paying quite so much for a place that didn't look like much love had gone into it recently. It's one thing to have a nod to the 70's but you don't have to look like you're still there.

When you're looking for charm, something small, with character, somewhere memorable this place will work for you. Nice pool which unfortunately we didn't get chance to go in as we were there for work. From a business perspective having parking right outside my room was a bonus, as was being largely left to yourself with little intrusion from staff.

A hidden gem that's a throwback to old Hollywood.
    • Standard King Room

Facilities were up to par, but not extraordinary -- that's the closest to something I don't like. It's a hidden gem.

A great nod to old Hollywood, great service and food from Hope 46 restaurant was very good. Front desk was able to take care of all of my needs. Convenient to Qualcomm Stadium.

Lafayette Hotel is a must for 4 people that's comfortable, clean, and modern!
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Only downside is that the bathroom doesn't have an exhaust fan which made the room hot.

Rooms were very clean and easy to get to! We loved the deck overlooking the pool, and the double queen room was spacious. The decor and main lobby were AMAZING, and everyone was very accommodating.

Cool old school photos
    • Standard King Room

VERY DINGY hotel, check in running late (past 3:00) Pool so crowded and dirty- Room was dated and windows faced the roof air conditioning. Not a satisfied guest. Don’t waste your money.

Cool old school photos

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

The property was very clean and a fantastic location.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The water temperature in the shower fluctuates a lot. Also, a refrigerator would be nice to have in the room. None of these were major issues.

The property was very clean and a fantastic location. We loved the pool area- it was great for kids. Our stay was during the week so the pool was not too busy. There were a few local families there with the swim club and my kids made friends and had a great time.

A good distance from downtown.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

A good distance from downtown. We were here for Comic Con and staff was very helpful on transit, restaurant and banking options. Room was clean, beds were a good size and very comfortable. Would definitely come back.

Convenient location relative to my particular business needs.
    • Standard King Room

Dingy, dated room. Just because it’s a historic property does not mean the room interiors can’t be updated. Uncomfortable bed. Window A/C unit. No mini refrigerator (though apparently one is available on request).

Convenient location relative to my particular business needs. Hotel and bar/restaurant staff friendly & attentive.

I liked the ‘vintage’ atmosphere;
    • Standard King Room

I liked almost everything. The only thing I would suggest is to add a couple of chairs in the suite, as there is no other way to sit down other than the bed or the armchair, which fits only one person

I liked the ‘vintage’ atmosphere; the hotel is a kind of historical landmark, as famous Hollywood stars of the fifties slept there, and it gives it a sophisticated feeling that I appreciated a lot. We were also freely upgraded to a recently renovated suite, which was enormous and comfortable, and this doubled our enjoyment of the stay there. The staff was very friendly and made us feel really welcomed.

A lot to like...A lot to dislike.
    • Family Suite

Bunk bed was very uncomfortable for my teenage girls and ‘creaked’ so loudly, it woke everyone when they rolled over, at night. Housekeeping took our used towels but they only replaced fresh ones for 2 people, in one bathroom, despite us having 4 people and 2 full bathrooms! 2nd bathroom had towels taken from bathtub but left the racks/shelves empty! Air conditioning unit in back room was very old and noisy. (Also had a strange smell) Front room unit was fine. Coffee maker is a nice touch....but why only one coffee pod (regular) and one decaf, in a room that sleeps 5? And one creamer/sugar sachet?

Pool area was terrific with drink orders taken at your lounger. (if you don’t mind overpaying for beer and cocktails) Front desk staff was friendly.

Retro charm city hotel with beautiful swimming pool
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We were attributed an upgrade to stay in a small house. The upgrade value was in the second room, but the townhouse wasn't convenient to access from the parking lot with 3 big suitcases, neither easy to move all our stuff on the second floor. No help from hotel staff at our arrival at 11pm.

Great location in San Diego- historical landmark property very well renovated. Nice and clean pool. Breakfast overlooking pool. Charming retro atmosphere.

Great staff, super attentive.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

It’s a restored hotel, it has great charm but they could do a better job at replacing the carpets, for example which are very old and give smell. Pool is nice and clean but very busy with day-pass visitors.

Great staff, super attentive. Comfortable beds, lots of food outlets close by. Their restaurant is also very good. Centric and in a good area.

Good stay but a bit loud
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Room at front was rather loud, as was the AC.

Great atmosphere and staff. Somewhat walkable area, especially by suburban US standards. Comfortable, good sized room.

The rooms were big with two separate bathrooms
    • Family Suite

The facility shouldn’t be called a hotel. It is actually a motel where all the rooms were accessible directly from the street and car parking. I had to checkout after one night although I booked for a whole week as I didn’t feel comfortable.

The rooms were big with two separate bathrooms

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

pillows were quite firm impossible to use the pool facilities with parties and I think non hotel users? the HOPE closed too early. It would have been nice to sit with a night cap and enjoy the beautiful setting over looking the pool rather then the dark Red Fox.

location boutique style

Third time at the Lafayette

A little noisy at times

It’s a very unique hotel close to interesting neighborhoods. Staff was just great and everyone is very friendly and welcoming.

Nice pool and great bar tender!
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The parking seemed to be charged to only some guests we were the only car in our parking lot who had a parking receipt on our dash we asked some of the guests who had parked there and they said they were not charged for parking seemed a bit unfair.

Nice pool and great bar tender! Food was great as well. Location is pretty nice as well.

AZ Lowesdude
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The staff was amazing and the service was on point. Not to mention the restaurant in the lobby was not only Great food but priced fairly! Ill definitely be staying again and telling all my friends in Arizona where to stop by if needing a hotel stay.

Good value, large rooms, comfortable bed, clean, centrally...
    • Poolside Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Room was a little run down - not so much in a charming way, but more in a neglected kind of way. However, it was very clean. No mini fridge. Our poolside room was loud. One night a live band played for several hours which wasn't exactly relaxing. The area the hotel is located in is conveniently located, but not somewhere I'd walk around and explore.

Good value, large rooms, comfortable bed, clean, centrally located. The staff were all very nice.

Pleasantly surprised.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Noisy smokers outside my first-floor window on Saturday night, wouldn't have noticed except I stopped in to freshen up before going out. Thin walls - couldn't sleep due to neighbors' snoring.

Beautiful spaces & culture oriented.

This is a party hotel. Do not stay here unless you are ok with loud noise at all hours.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

This hotel must be known for a place you can party all night long. On the first night of our stay our neighbors hosted a slumber party with about 7 children. The walls are paper thin. On the 2nd night there was a loud party with a group of women. They were smoking and our hotel room ended up smelling like marijuana, which is not so great when you have a 3 month old baby with you. I had stayed here two years prior and enjoyed a fun relaxing stay, but a lot has obviously changed.

The staff was friendly and they made an effort to meet our requests, although the crib I asked for on 3 occasions never came.

First time staying there and found staff interactions great and room perfect.
    • Standard King Room

I didn’t read the cancellation policy with Booking.com so I couldn’t change

Nice staff who understood my situation with wanting to switch days but couldn’t.

Very cool retro bar, pool and lobby.
    • Standard King Room

The actual rooms are dated and not that nice. We were staying directly above the garage door and it was noisy. The shower water kept changing temperature from hot to freezing

Very cool retro bar, pool and lobby. Fun location for north park or normal/university heights

Beautiful, stylish hotel, friendly staff- rooms were simple, or mine? Want more for the $$$!
    • Standard King Room

Parking...I fed the meter every 2 hours 8-6 when I was there to avoid an $18 a day fee. They kind of hid me away in a corner downstairs room by the offices, don’t know if it was because I booked with this website? My door jammed, was hard to open...

The staff was great! Beautiful accommodations in lobby, pool, etc. and great location!

I will be back when I visit San Diego next time.
    • Family Suite

I will be back when I visit San Diego next time. The Layfayette exceeded my expectations. My family had an incredible vacation. Everyone and everything was amazing.

• Standard King Room

Coffee in room was only one serving per day. Pillows where very uncomfortable; too high and hard. The day we arrived no one was available to even greet us in the restaurant. We walked through, stood waiting and the single bar tender ignored us for ten minutes. All bar stools were full, all tables were empty. There were no servers so we left and searched for an alternate restaurant. In our room there wasn’t even a chair to sit in. Three days sitting only on a bed is not comfortable.

Location and history where great. Staff responded to our needs immediately when asked.

Probably wouldn't stay again except during week and with prior check of room for mechanical noise.
    • Standard King Room

The problem at the Lafayette is noise....party time on weekends. Also, my room was next to some rooftop HVAC equipment that was very loud. Restaurant was meh.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Nice bed linens. Good shower.

Don’t stay here if you are looking for a peaceful break, I did not have one full night sleep,
    • Standard King Room

The location of the hotel, I didn’t enjoy that part of town at all. I did not have one full nights sleep, there was partying every night, people banging on my door in the night. Whilst laying by the pool I was treat to some youngster so out his head remove his pants and proceed to pee all over his balcony and the one beneath.

Spacious rooms, comfortable beds

Charming place right on El Cajon Blvd in San Diego!
    • Poolside Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The floor in the hotel room was - simply said - dirty. Despite leaving messages to the cleaning staff the floors were not mopped properly.

The hotel has a great feel to it: reliving the 1950s in this part of San Diego. The pool area is very neat.

Not what I expected.
    • Family Suite

Hated our room. We stayed in a family room. Bunk beds were very uncomfortable. Only sheets and a thin stinky fleece blanket on the bunk beds. Called the front desk for additional comforters and they brought more sheets and one blanket for two beds after 45 min. Shower/tub didn’t drain. Even though they gave us late check out we were locked out after 11am. Had to get housekeeping to let us in. Smoke detector went off in our room with the steam from the shower. Bathroom windows open up on to walkways. Don’t stay in the family room.

Location. Only $12 for parking. Allowed late check out til 1pm. Staff was nice. Our room had two full bathrooms.

Overall comfortable stay and good value.
    • Standard King Room

The furniture is outdated and not in optimal repair. The turntable in the microwave did not turn. It did not see to be the correct one for the microwave we had. No glass dishes to use in the microwave.

The front desk staff were very helpful answering questions we had. Hotel is conveniently located for the purpose of our travel. Public transport is closeby and convenient to get to Balboa Park. We were upgraded for no charge to a very comfortable. And spacious suite.

It was good.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The people staying across from me were very rude and loud. They kept their doors opened most of the time and kept yelling at each other and their child kept crying.

It was good.

The entire ambiance of the hotel was excellent .
    • Poolside Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Nothing ... have no negative comments to make at all.

The entire ambiance of the hotel was excellent .. front desk, restaurant ... in fact everything about the hotel was amazing. Could not have asked for a better place to stay for a short Christmas getaway. Room was clean, beds were comfortable.

Perfect out of hotel chain site, great access to everywhere!! Try it
    • Standard King Room

There isn t a fridge or microwave, the room coffee is a lurid type, while the hotel recycles, the coffee set up is not eco friendly. Some of my favorite things are no longer part of the hotel and I still love it!

Great local get away
    • Poolside Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I didn't like the lack of amenities in the room like a mini fridge and no menu for the restaurant even though they have room service. Kind of defeats the purpose when you have to go to the restaurant to order and get it. Also, they need to lose the carpet and maybe get the vinyl flooring that looks like wood. The carpet in my room (#41) had seen better days.

I loved that the pool was right outside our room door. It was a cute little hotel, a little vintage mixed with some modern. It was nice. We had breakfast after check out and it was delicious! Very friendly wait staff. Close to everything.

The staff tried to fix their mistake of booking us in that room.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Our room was right above an event that included a very loud band until 11:00. They gave us a free breakfast in the morning to make up for it.

Great old hotel.

Very cute, and in a great location. Would have expected a little more finesse for the $$
    • Standard King Room

The room wasn’t as clean as I would have liked. The fixtures needed some fixing. And there was not a refrigerator in the room!!! We had to go buy a cooler!!!

This hotel definitely had way more charm than your standard chain hotel.

Rooms and in room ammeneties are stuck in the 60's, well never go back.
    • Standard King Room

The rooms are verry noisy, I could hear the conversations people were having in the neighbouring rooms. Wifi was unstable and slow, the bed was to soft and therefore not really comfortable. The room was a tired room with no fridge, extremely basic and no room to manuver. The showerhead was leaking and the warm water did not stay on temperature. During a few minutes of showering it kept getting cold and needed ajustments. If you want to party arround the pool the whole day maybe you should stay there, if you have no need for a pool I'd stay somewere else were you get better value for monney. We have spend a lot of monney for a tired old room.

Unpon entrance the hotel makes a good impression.

I plan on staying here again in the near future.
    • Standard King Room

Street parking is very crowded and you have to pay close attention to the street signs. The shower curtain kept blowing against me and sticking to my skin as I showered. Would have preferred a heavier shower curtain.

The old school feel and the customer service was top notch. Tried both attached restaurants and the food was excellent.

Stay here if you like fun and are liberal minded. It's an old hotel with lots of history.
    • Poolside Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

El Cajone Blvd isn't amazing.

I have a special place in my heart for this hotel. I've stayed there twice with both of my daughters and had a great stay. Both times there were amazing pool parties with bands and artists and very inclusive. As well, the classic 25m pool has history. It's super close to the zoo and to the North Park area. We ubered the whole vacation and it was central enough for the activities we chose - zoo, sea world, mission beach/belmont park, Coronado beach. The hotel sits on the edge of North Park, but it's along a bit of a sketchy stretch. A fair number of homeless people, of which I had some good conversations.

Pleaseant stay, refreshing and easy.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Parking for a second vehicle is a pain. shower sometimes drains slowly. Otherwise great.

Rooms are a little small, but still comfortable. The building is great and the pool is fantastic. If you have more than one vehicle, parking for the second vehicle can be a real pain, but the lot parking for the first vehicle is great.

Fine
    • Standard King Room

Very basic rooms and hotel was abit rundown. No wifi and the hotel didn't get the updated price from when we submitted a claim with booking.com

Underground parking was good and bed was comfy

The bed was very comfortable.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I couldn't turn on the water in the bathroom sink (room 124). That gave me a chance to practice shaving in the shower.

The bed was very comfortable.

I absolutely loved the history regarding this building.
    • Standard King Room

I absolutely loved the history regarding this building. Comfortable room and amazing bar/ restaurant on the premises (Red Fox) would stay again.

Hotel with atmosphere and real swiming pool for enthusiast swimmers
    • Standard King Room

Atmosphere, Swimming pool, Food, the Friendly staff. I have never been to a hotel with as much cache as this in USA. It could almost be in Europe!!!

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Great hotel at a reasonable price. Strongly recommend it.
    • Standard King Room

Room size. Staff were very helpful, very proactive and professional. Great room at a reasonable prize. Fun, easy, chilled atmosphere, we felt immediately at ease. Nice pool, used in the morning. Pool party was on when we arrived. Strongly recommend it.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Stay and experience the charm of a grand old hotel with a memoriable past.
    • Standard King Room

We love the hotel...it is a renowned hotel, known for it's visits by the Hollywood crowd in the 40's and 50's. It has preserved its proud heritage but updated with all the modern fittings. It is a lovely old hotel with worlds of charm. The food is unique and tasty too. We have stayed there in the past and will no doubt visit there again in the future.

Great Place - Meh Staff
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

There was street mtx being done next to my room that night. Even though the staff knew they were placing me in a room near mtx that was likely to go late into the night, they still put me in the room. When the noise got to be too much in the evening, the receptionist downstairs basically said "sorry, nothing we can do" Her attitude sucked and it really left a bad taste in my mouth. In the morning she greeted me with "Oh, you're the one that complained last night." She proceeded to say that since the issue had nothing to do with the hotel, she didn't feel that I had reason to complain.

The atmosphere was magical. I loved the quotes by the door and the feel of the room.

Not what I remember
    • Standard King Room

No where had I seen that this was a hip place for singles and those wishing to party. ( I may have failed to see that in reviews) There was loud and live music playing around the pool for several hours on Sunday afternoon and evening. It could be heard most everywhere. A family would not take their family to the pool with this going on. Every lounge and chair was taken and many were enjoying a beer or drink. It definitely was not an atmosphere for children. There was parking, but we were charged $12 per day for it. I have never been charged for parking in a So Cal hotel or motel. As a young single wishing to meet others of the same...this would be a great hotel. For those seeking quiet, in particular...not!! I had asked for a quiet room. We were away from the pool, but directly above the large metal doors which lifted and closed every time someone entered or exited the garage below ground. They were not terribly loud, but we were aware of them each time they were used. We had settled in to our room when we discovered this or we would have asked for a different room. The neighborhood around the hotel didn't feel terribly secure. There were a number of homeless people on the sidewalks near the hotel.

It is located near people we needed to see as well as the Zoo. I had some history with this hotel as a child so thought staying here would be fun. My brother was the head lifeguard of the pool and I learned to swim here. Several summers of my childhood were spent daily enjoying the pool.

Wonderful and unique hotel!
    • Standard King Room

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a couple nights while on vacation in San Diego. Usually when staying in a hotel, I want to spent as much time out of the hotel as possible and just go there to sleep - this is the only place I've ever been where I actually wish I had more time to just hang out at the hotel! What a cool and unique place!! The staff at the front desk were incredibly friendly and helpful, offering suggestions about bars/restaurants in the local area. Overall a great experience and I would definitely choose to stay here again if I were back in the area.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

The pool was very nice.
    • Poolside Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The staff was quite unhelpful. The food and drink options on site were quite bad. And the other guests were kinda loud and weird.

The pool was very nice. We were very glad to have a poolside room. While the immediate environs were not very charming -- it's on a busy street -- it's about a mile from one of the most lively neighborhoods in San Diego.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Fun, if you have money to burn...
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Having to pay $12/night for parking! Why should guests who are staying AT the hotel need to pay to park? No elevator to first floor rooms (split level to lobby), so if you have luggage, you need to carry it all up about 8 steps. Staff will help with this, but you need to ask & be prepared with a tip. Room was extremely small! No walking room- need to put luggage in closet just to move around room. No sitting area to eat, so have to eat on beds. :( Book a suite to avoid tripping over yourself! Too high a nightly rate for such small quarters & pricey parking fee.

Vintage "Old Hollywood" decor; beautifully furnished; 2 great restaurants on site; helpful staff. Red Fox Steakhouse was fabulous! Classy atmosphere; large pool.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Bathtub was really low to the ground and not really usable. We just used it as a shower.

Fun hotel with a lot of history. They really incorporated the history of the place with a modern vibe. Really enjoyed the pool area, big pool with lots of depth variation. Super close to some great restaurants and bars. Staff was friendly and helpful. Definitely plan to stay again.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Pool and bar the best!
    • Standard King Room

Our room felt out of date. Didn't fit in with decor of hotel style. Above garage where u could hear the door open all night.

Pool and bar the best! Decor of hotel is cool.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

Not worth it.
    • Standard King Room

Even though it's an old hotel doesn't mean it should be dirty so it could look old too. Carpets are disgusting. Fingerprint smudges everywhere. Pubic hair under toilet. Then the hot water would run cold and back and forth. The bed flipped if two people sat on the end. It's crazy how much they charge for a tiny dirty smelly room. I don't care how old it is. We will never return.

Lobby and solarium are nice

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Good price for a decent hotel!
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I wish they could have cleaned the bungalow better. One of the lamp lights was not functioning in living room area and there was alao a dead moth on the base of the floor lamp.

Booked a room with 2 queen beds and ended up getting a bungalow with 3 bedrooms. Requested a quiet area and they did provide it. Having a fully equipped kitchen with utensils is a plus. Best part of the kitchen area was having a keurig machine. Plenty of towels and toiletries.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

A nicely updated 70-year-old hotel with great poolside rooms
    • Standard King Room

It's an old hotel that been updated. That being said, the bathroom and shower tile need to be re-grouted.

The hotel in general and the room specifically were great. (I recommend getting a poolside room.)

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

tidy, roomy, fun staff
    • Poolside Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

There were a couple of functions scheduled (wedding reception possibly?) and things got a bit noisy, as our room was the room closest to the activity. They charge extra for leaving your car overnight, but perhaps that's normal.

All the staff folks were extremely friendly. And the restaurant cuisine was first-class. For us, the location was perfect as it is a short walk to our friends' place. It was also fun walking up & down El Cajon.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

The La Fayette is a great place to stay for any occasion.
    • Standard King Room

The only complaint we had about our stay was the bathtub drain wouldn't drain,and the bed was way firm. Small things these are, we love it here and plan on coming back.

We love this place. Great customer service, the atmosphere is fantastic, love hanging around the pool and being able to swim any time of year (heated), the rooms are cozy and have what you need to have a nice stay,love all the history. You can feel the history everywhere you go in the hotel. The food is delicious! We love that it is walking distance to so much.

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

A quick overnight trip.
    • Standard King Room

Loved the historical feel and staff was extra friendly. Wish we had more time to enjoy the hotel but were in town for one night to attend a concert in the North Park area. Room was spacious and bed was comfy. Didn't get a chance to try the pool but it looked lovely.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Would stay here again!

There was a big event playing loud music in the main lobby area the first night of our stay and our rooms were directly over it. We weren't warned about it at all and it kept us awake.

The bed was super comfortable and we loved the location and the history of the hotel. The pool is beautiful and you feel transported to when it was built. Dinner and drinks date at the Red Fox room were a delight! Super close to the Zoo and downtown. Great for a family.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Party people showed no respect for other guests

Party people kept us awake from 1:30 am till 7:30amon the last nite apology was all we got the first nite party people kept us up till 4:0am not good when your travelling very disappointed never stay there again and would recommend if you want a place to rest don't stay there

Nice pool

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Plenty outlets in the room.
    • Standard King Room

The grout on the bathroom floor looked like it needed a little TLC with a toothbrush. Road was very loud. Some windows needed some additional curtains since the street lights were very bright.

Plenty outlets in the room. We had a very large corner suite, and the room was a great size. Common area and pool area was very well designed and laid out.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

Great staycation, relax, have a drink, and take a dip
    • Standard King Room

Very thin walls. Bathrooms could use an update. And loud occupants roaming at 2 am being very loud.

The pool was great and open late and the staff and customer service was wondeful

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Pool side rooms.

There was no hot tub.

Pool side rooms. Great place for friends to stay.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

The only thing I didn’t like was at the weekend it got...
    • Standard King Room

The only thing I didn’t like was at the weekend it got extremely noisy and busy by the pool with people I believe weren’t actual residents.