Reviews of Layne Hotel 2 stars

5.5

4.9

730usd for two night but no water in room
    • Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Morning cleaner no training how to nock the door no water in room staff not so good extra paper work nock the door before 11am for checkout

730usd for two night but no water in room

Small. Cute. Bad neighborhood.

Not much one hotel can do about the neighborhood and its inhabitants -Im not a wimpy woman but I was relieved to be traveling with my bf. Price was higher than I would have expected for the area after seeing it and the fact that the 250$ security deposit was not included or mentioned during registration was frustrating. This hotel also doesn't allow fee free cancellations so we were locked in with out the ability to change our minds.

Room was small but comfortable. We thought it might be an issue that the room lacked an a/c but the window provided a lot of fresh air. The hotels interiors seemed mostly remodeled but some of the old peeked through landing its charm.

Told
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

Held me in lobby till 3PM before allowing me access to prepaid room when room made up and ready

Not a single coat hanger in the closet No soap in shower Not even a plastic drinking cup The Patels should get in another line of work than the hospitality budiness

Good for very short stay.
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

Bathrooms were communal and tiny. Mini fridge very loud. Bed was also uncomfortable and minimal pillows provided. Staff wasn't very friendly or welcoming either.

Very clean and cute. The old age of building provides charm. If your stay is 1-2 nights only, then it serves its purpose. Location was convenient for visiting union square or civic center.

Location is great and staff is courteous but the facilities is below than what we expected.

There was no parking versus what is said when I booked via Booking.com; We did not know one of the rooms has no restroom! Just common one. I fell from the bed because it was not attached to headboard and the bed have wheels.

Just the location and he fact that the staff always lock the door entrance.

Not bad, comfortable room -- but be careful around the area at night!

Convenient location, but still on the edges of a sketchy part of the city. Having bags kept by reception past 12nn cost $5 per bag. Pricey, but that's expected, given the central location.

Staff were pretty friendly and helpful. Room was clean and had basic amenities. Walking distance to Union Square.

when leaving the owner decides to smack us with a late fee...
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

when leaving the owner decides to smack us with a late fee of 30 dollars, then right before swiping my card decides its going to be 40 dollars instead. The whole place reminds you of slowly waiting around for a funeral and the maid cart was inconvenient. there was nothing significant about this hotel besides its location. great location.

they are suspicious, and probably for good reasons.

they are suspicious, and probably for good reasons. I felt like they wanted to double check immediately if I had damaged the room, and made me wait in lobby until they had done this. even so, there is a deposit of 250usd that I had paid for any damages. this felt unpleasant. sorry to learn that hotels feel they have to take such measures.

The cleanliness was bad :( hairs on my bed and thick dust on...

The cleanliness was bad :( hairs on my bed and thick dust on shelving, also some subtle stains on the white sheets :( no tea/ coffee making facilities too.

The workers were never around to open the door.
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

The workers were never around to open the door. There was a very very small bathroom on the floor that everyone shared as it was dirty in the room the heater didn’t work the blankets were dirty there was a view of an alley.

Uncomfortable.
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

The hotel should be renamed to Layne Hostel due to the shared bathroom and shower located in the hallway of each flower. Here’s only one toilet and one shower! I was not a fan when I notice we did not have our own bathrooms, not to mention the bathroom did not have an indoors vent so the windo was propped open with no protective net/screen and I felt so uncomfortable and creeped out with the fact that the shared bathroom had no privacy what so ever. Also, there was no parking and so you have to pay extra just for that. The amount you spend here would be the same if you pay a little more for another hotel that comes with parking and your own bathroom. Don’t get suckered in to booking this hotel if you like privacy. If you’re on a super tight budget this place is decent since it’s located around a bunch of bars and restaurants. Definitely will never stay here again. Also the bedding looked so old fashion I honestly felt like I was going to get bed bugs just laying on the bed, glad I didn’t! Stay at your own risk!

Wifi and easy, check in, nice front desk.

You’re not allowed to have gusts at the hotel.
    • Double Room with 2 Double Beds

You’re not allowed to have gusts at the hotel. Fridge and Microwave didn’t work in room. Clock and phone were just placed on the floor. No nightstand. No A/C or fan. $250 deposit required

• Double Room with Shared Bath

They gave us a room with just painted walls- it was quite difficult to stay in there for too long cause of the smell. Also they get 250$ deposit which is way too much

The best location you could get in San Francisco

it was stated that there is a parking in the hotel , but...
    • Double Room with 2 Double Beds

it was stated that there is a parking in the hotel , but there was not , there were parking garages near by but they charge you regardless of the hotel.

Horrible
    • Queen Room

The staff , no fan or aircon forced to leave window open and street noise couldn't sleep , loacation bad part of town , smell in hotel no safe or security box or anywhere for valuables , overall should've taken off your website

Basic accommodation. Helpful staff. Great Location. Silly deposit requirements.
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

The cost of the hotel is cheaper than a lot of others around, however having stayed in another hotel on union square the accommodation is very basic. My only real problem with the hotel was with the deposit they took. $250 for a single night is more than many five star hotels will take. The deposit was returned with no problems, however it took over a week to come off the credit card.

The position of the hotel was good for the cost. The location close to union square made it easy to meet up with my friends the following day. The staff were pleasant and helpful.

book anywhere else if you can
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

room wasn't made up when we entered. grumpy staff at greeting. bathroom not connected to the room. this was not clear on reservation booking . dumpy lobby. tiny room. unclean shower. on the edge of a rough area. after I stayed at this hotel I had credit card fraud. it was only place we stayed where I gave my drivers license info. Avoid staying here. hotel is very old and dated.over priced, terrible vaue.non cancellation policy and I can see why.

No sleep, didn't take a shower in the shared shower in the hallway, it just felt too dirty.
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

The room had the smoke detector hanging off the wall by wires. My son found dead bug bodies on the bed spread, not sure what kind of bugs, but big enough to see. The towels had holes in them. I booked for two and there was only one set of towels. The TV was pay by the month/day. Another guest was yelling in what sounded like German outside my door at 1:00am and 2:00am. If we need to deal with hostel facilities, we should be paying a lower price and have all of this acknowledged in detail prior to booking.

We stayed out of the hotel most of the time. We we were out all day. We really just slept there.
    • Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Very old fashioned elevator. It wasn't the best location, very noisy at night. We made sure we were back at the hotel early. Did not go out the area at night. We did feel safe inside the hotel.

The hotel staff were friendly and the hotel was clean but it smells weird every time we enter. We bought air freshener and sprayed all over the room.

Find somewhere else
    • Queen Room

Street access ok via Geary but avoid going down Jones Street into Tenderloin. Two reception staff unfriendly, strong paint smell in room, bathroom light kept turning on, room small, tv old and had only one channel working, lift antiquated and in poor repair, reception area untidy. At reception had to sign a page of charges for violations of hours rules re smoking, drugs, removing window screens etc. Reception copied both our drivers licences and said they would keep them permanently on file and not erase them after we left. On day of departure reception made us 70yo couple wait in lobby while he went upstairs to check our room for infringements of his rules. All this and a charge of nearly USD200 per day! We only stayed because of nonrefundable advance payment. Booking.com should delist this property

Just off Geary Street and 3 blocks from Union Square

A terrific and memorable stay at Layne Hotel...I would stay there, again.....
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

Just did not like the Tenderloin Area of San Francisco....but, no one from that area, bother us at the Layne Hotel....

Love the location....everything is great....Love the Microwave and the Fridge....I had a terrific stay in Layne Hotel....the Shared Washroom and the Shower are fine. Its a very quiet place. The room is nice and clean....and renovated. Its a very relaxed holiday....I love San Francisco. I love staying at Layne Hotel. The cost of the hotel is very reasonable too....Thanks....A very memorable trip.

I did not like
    • Queen Room

There was a vary bad scent such as plastic or burned cupper wire in the room. In addition, the fire exit was next to my room. The fire exit was very narrow. A single size bed and a bed head were leaning through the wall. They were blocking the half of the very narrow exit. Although I warned the staff to remove them, nobody took into consideration. As another subject; I have booked all my accomodations via booking.com for 16 years. I did not faced any problem so far. However this time, after my payment for Layne Hotel via booking.com in 29.06.2017, my credit card was copied and transacted many times. My credit card was always in my bag but someone was using it. When I returned to my country, I awared this credit card fraut. I have seen that he/she has started to use my credit card just after my booking and full paymet to Layne hotel. I don't know who is responsible, booking.com or Layne Hotel? Now, I try to deal with huge credit card debt. I shared this event here because my aim is to warn booking.com for the lack of security during online booking.

Nightmare at the Layne Hotel
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

The hotel is located across the street from a homeless soup kitchen. The staff was always arguing and I could hear them from the basement to the fifth floor - the profanity was out of control. There was no hot water - oh wait there was if you knew the secret which no one bothered to explain - don't turn the knob to hot - that's cold! There was no toilet paper in the one toilet on the floor - didn't know it was shared bathroom but only one toilet and one shower for whole floor. Calling down to front desk to let them know no toilet paper and I get from front desk clertk - "Humm" really? I will never ever ever never stay there again and I will tell everyone I know not to go near the Layne hotel.

Good value compared to other hotels in the area.
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

The floor of my hotel room was really dusty and a bit dirty - I doubt it had been swept for a long time. I had to put my shoes on before putting my feet on the floor otherwise I would have ended up with all sorts of scuz in the bed. I looked under the bed and the dust was ridiculous. It was a shame because otherwise the room was very clean. Some staff were a bit brusque.

Clean linen, clean sink. Clean shared toilet and shower. Good wifi signal. Some staff very pleasant, helpful and friendly. Very prompt and efficient response to any questions or problems. Pleased there was a sink in the room.

One of the Worst
    • Double Room with 2 Double Beds

This place does not deserve to be calssified as a hotel. The toilet was blocked and we had to use the shared bathroom. The toilet in the hall is tiny and I had barely enough room to sit down. The staff were very rude and unhelpful and still charged us the full rate for a private in room bath room. The plumber never came. The shower had barely enough water pressure to get wet. The place had a weird toxic chemical smell. Overall this was by far the worst hotel I ever stayed in and it is totally overpriced.

stay the H E L L away
    • Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Very loud street noise only, the toilet ran all night and day they didn't even fix it no offer of a refund or adjustment in price. Lots of homeless people near the front door

The only thing I liked was the price but the my credit card information was stolen, then they charged me more than the advertised price

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

better off sleeping on the street
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

bed bugs, bed bugs, bed bugs! dont stay here unless its absolutely necessary. the place is a real dump and they take a $250 deposit which is insane. im not picky and have slept in hostels everywhere but this was a complete ripoff for the money. the staff is really sketchy too, they treat you like criminals.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

It was quiet and very secure – management insists that...
    • Queen Room

Foyer is pretty ugly; Jones Street south of the hotel is pretty rough (it's the Tenderloin) but Geary Street is fine.

It was quiet and very secure – management insists that it's guests only and no smoking or parties. The room was small but clean and in good order. San Francisco is so expensive that a hotel like this is a reasonable option.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Horrible
    • Double Room with 2 Double Beds

No heat, no hot water, no wifi. Unfriendly staff who seemed to development a language barrier when asked About the problems, yet became masters of the English language when trying to cheat us out of money. Also it took two weeks and six phone calls for them to release the security deposit, even after doing the final inspection with the owner to insure we couldn't be over charged.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

The most horrible experience! Don't stay here.
    • Queen Room

They made me pay for towels because some of my hair dye got on it when i dried my hair. They insisted i ruined them even though i explained it comes out it always washes out in the wash in my white towels. They didn't take the $10 for the towels by credit card and made me walk to an atm to get cash. When i got back with the cash they told me they didn't have change to break the $20 bill the atm they sent me to dispensed so then i had to go to a liquor store to buy something to make change. They were not accommodating at all and very rude. There is a passenger loading area in front of the hotel so we tried to use it to drop myself and our luggage off since there is no parking at all and the desk person ran outside and told us we couldn't park there because it was the owners parking spot.I told him it was marked for passanger loading by the city and he told us we had to move or he'd have us towed. So we had to put our luggage back in the car and find parking elsewhere. He said he wouldn't check us in if I walked in with the luggage if I didn't put it back in the car and move first. I was already on the sidewalk walking in when he said this.

The room was clean and the location was somewhat ideal to where we wanted to be although the homeless population was scary at times being aggressive with passer-byers.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Cheep, clean, and good food near by
    • Queen Room

Our room was on the street side, and it was very noisy. We had to buy ear plugs. It was on the edge of the Tenderloin so if you weren't careful, you could end up in the Tenderlion. They also required a deposit for the room, but we didn't have any problem getting it back.

The location was close to the Market district. The wifi worked well. There were a lot of very good hole in the wall ethic resturants near by. The hotel was in good condition and clean. This was not a new building and the old elevator was fun. I liked that they only let customers into the building.

Comfy bed, convenient location

WiFi was slow.

Comfy bed, convenient location

The location is really good, close to everything
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

The water in the shower were always cold. The manager not really nice and not helpful.

The location is really good, close to everything

The Lane is a good value in a great location

No ice machine at all.

Location and upgrades to the building

Central
    • Double Room with 2 Double Beds

$250 deposit that for a traveller didn’t receive a refund back until holiday was done weeks later

Central

Owner up at front desk was very scary he yelled at me for being to close to counter at checking. He

Nothing place was horrible

It was okay, bed a little to worn but ove4 all
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

Pricing, I felt like I could’ve gotten a better place for I spent.

Location was good for visiting family.

U can't have visitors

U can't have visitors

Check in time is too late.

Check in time is too late. There is no dining room

Comfy bed, friendly staff and lovely elevator
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

One shared shower room per floor. water takes long time to get hotter

Hotel elevator and comfy bed

Good for the money
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

Location was a bit out of the way from tourist attractions

Clean, comfortable for the price

Nice view

No privacy in/out building. Staff has to buzz you in Out small entry

Nice view

Would never stay again nor recommend
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

Staff were rude and unhelpful,booked a room with a bathroom did not recieve.

Location was convenient.

Will never recommend or stay here again.

Appalling customer service from management. Manager was extremely rude when speaking to us. Multiple issues with room and facilities.

it was nice and clean and comfortable

cozy

it was nice and clean and comfortable

The room was cool. No heating on.Some day no service in bedroom
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

We wouldn’t recommend staying here unless you have no other options.
    • Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Service was terrible, owner was rude and unaccomodating. Mysteriously our credit card details were also stolen after our stay.

Good value for the money.
    • Queen Room

Staff very professional & accommodating.

The smell of the room

The smell of the room

They told the deposit wilk be in my account after 3days after booking but they didnt send it never.
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

They didnt send me deposit.

good value and location.
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

Staff refused to provide me an extra pillow when I asked - had back surgery. No extra pillow? Really?

good value and location.

Even if its a work trip i have alot of fun

Not much area was soso

Its a nice quiet hotel

Amazing
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

No breckfast included or snacks

Services lobby 24 hours.

fine
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

Cleanliness outside room, room was basic, but was value for money

No air conditioning

No air conditioning

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Very bad service, while expensive at the same time. I do not recommed it to anybody.
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

Service was very bad. The started telling us about checkout at 9am and they repeated it 3 times...

not much
    • Queen Room

no bathroom or shower in room. $250 security deposit.

not much

Layne Hotel
    • Queen Room

Staff not very friendly/welcoming. Parking was not with the hotel, but next door and pretty sketchy.

Convenient location.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Nice clean rooms with updated & clean bathroom incl.
    • Queen Room

Very Rude Mistrustful Staff.

Nice clean rooms with updated & clean bathroom incl. tub/shower, sink & toilet.

good hotel good location

check in is at 3pm and check out at 10am

near lots of shops and food places

Never ever again

Nothing at all

The service was the wast it toke 15 minutes befor anyone said hi and was just ruled

Wonderful staff, excellent accommodations and convenient location.

Everything was perfect.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

👎
    • Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Primitive manual gated elevator-- a throwback to the 1930's No visitors allowed to rooms by proprietor

👎

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Not good at all.

Na

Na

Hotel is very poor n frauders n robberers n dealing in drugs plz staf in motel not there
    • Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Hotel n hotel staff n hotel owner all are frauders its my request to do case at this hotel dealing in drugs also the owner

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Terrible personnel

It was terrible. Personnel wanted ekstra 20$ It is dirty smell is very bad

I didn't like amyrhing. İt was terrrible

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Ideal location, good staff, nice restaurants near the hotel and relatively clam and peaceful
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

The staff charged me the hotel bill through my credit card whereas I would like to pay cash.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Comfortable, Friendly and Secure!
    • Double Room with Shared Bath

Very Secure and Staff were excellent! Great value for San Francisco!

• Reviewed: 26 May 2016

The price is pretty good.

The hotel does not allowed visitors to get into the room.

The price is pretty good. It's close to union suquare and the downtown. And the door is closed 24 hrs for safety.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2016

Horrible street noise!

Horrible street noise!! Odd door lock to get into hotel! Unwelcome entrance! Rude cold desk attendees - I fixed to go back without refund - not looking forward to staying there!

• Reviewed: 27 March 2016

It was walking distance to downtown and close to public...

Dirty reception carpets and furniture, cluttered , appears to be not kept up. Uncomfortable beds, no coffee pot in room, lots of rules, staff woke us at 10:30 of non- check out day asking if we would want maid service, would not stay here again

It was walking distance to downtown and close to public transportation. Location borders tenderloin, so locked entry was a nice safety feature

• Reviewed: 7 March 2016

I've stayed at Layne's for two nights during Super...

I've stayed at Layne's for two nights during Super Bowl weekend. I was welcomed by very friendly staff (Suveed), room was very clean and had all I needed during my short stay.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2016

I liked the location and the courtesy of the staff

I had to share a bathroom with other rooms. This was not mentioned when I booked or called to confirm. The room smelled. And we could only get one key to the room.

I liked the location and the courtesy of the staff

• Reviewed: 28 January 2016

We spent the new year's eve there.

- No breakfast provided (but it's written here!) - there's no AC / heater in the room - they get a $250 deposit and u actually have to sign the recipt! (but give u back as soon as u check-out) - u have to knock the door and then they will open for you.

We spent the new year's eve there... The staff is really helpful. Be aware they are gonna spend 15 min for your check-in for telling you all the rules for the hotel. (Imo, it was really good!). It's run by indians and they are really good ppl!! The location:10-12min walking to union square. There will be some homeless ppl around but it's not a dangerous area at all. The room: we stayed in a double room with private bathroom. Nothing amazing but confortable beds (2 full) and good shower.

There are also 35 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.