Reviews of The Hotel Modern New Orleans 3 stars

936 St. Charles Avenue, Arts- Warehouse District, New Orleans, LA 70130, USA

#121 of 148 hotels in New Orleans

This is NOT Hotel Modern.
    • Standard King Room

I booked Hotel Modern but I stayed at Holiday Inn Express. None of the photos, with the exception of the facade, accurately depicted the hotel in which I have previously stayed. I would not have booked this hotel at the rate I did if I knew I wouldn’t get what I paid for. No lobby bar, no charm, no character.

The room was brand new

If you are staying just to sleep for the price it is affordable .
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

They are under construction and some of the design of the rooms are not functional and the king rooms are very small.

You are able to ride the street car right outside the door .It looks like when they are done it may be a nice hotel.

Disappointing / Would Not Stay Here Again
    • Queen Room

I did not expect the hotel to be under construction - price should be less for the inconveniences. It the room had been $100 or so, instead of $200 I would be willing to stay here in the future. I am not likely to return to this property. While my room was clearly newly renovated, it is very poorly designed. The bathroom is just odd. Shower is too big and takes up too much of the space. Toilet is crowded, but shower has like 3 feet more space than needed. There is no soap dish or place to put your shampoo or such. You have to put these out on the sink counter outside the shower. Really? No counter space - this is okay for guys, but not for women.

Staff was very warm and friendly and tried to be courteous and professional. Room was comfortable and clean. I did not know that breakfast was included, that was nice.

It was centrally locates for my business purposes, the staff...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was not informed that the hotel was being renovated. When we arrived there was no signage in front of the building to give directions to the parking area. The rooms that had been renovated were very nice, but the room I was given had no safety lock and the “peep” hole in the door was not there so I had a hole in the door! When I asked to be moved to another room, I was given a room on a floor that had not been renovated. Although it was clean, it was not to the standard of the other rooms. Marks were all over the walls, the towel racks were hanging off the wall in the bathroom or they were missing, the mattress was on a wooden platform the electrical receptacles were broken or missing, and when I got off the elevator the halls were dark because light bulbs were out. It gave me uncomfortable. I think once it is finished, it will be fine, but they should have had the first room they gave me ready for my check in and they didn’t.

It was centrally locates for my business purposes, the staff was very friendly. They gave me a good deal on the room because I had to move. I just felt I should have been informed of the renovations prior to making the reservations.

5.5
    A work in progress
    • Queen Room

The room had a large queen or King size bed but there was no room to move about. The space would have been great for one person but did not have seating for two (one desk chair). The in-room coffee maker was fine but there was only one cup of regular coffee. When we called down to the front desk to request another cup, the clerk stated she did not know where the coffee was but would located some and bring it up to our room (this never occurred). I think after the remodel is complete, the hotel will be a fine establishment to go to.

The room was recently remodeled and fresh looking. The staff were very friendly and a pleasure to interact with. The breakfast items were fresh. The workers were all pleasant and did their best to provide you access to property.

Great value
    • Standard King Room

I didn’t like that there was no late night food available.

I liked that I was able to walk to the conference center. I also liked that there was a street car stop near by.

The location was perfeect if you dont want to be in the...
    • Queen Room

The breakfast didn’t include ham, cheese and eggs, only bread. Also he air conditioning eas noisy.

The location was perfeect if you dont want to be in the crowded area, everything is walking distance, the room were always clean, and the accommodations were perfect for us.

A good comfortable room, great bed.
    • Queen Room

Our original room was in the second floor, which seems like it’s just been reconstructed, and it was a little bit too new.

A good comfortable room, great bed. Not too long a walk from the French Quarter and also convenient to the Garden District. Outbound tram stop is just around the block from the hotel. Desk staff was great; Brittany et al. really went the extra mile to find us a room with a better view.

Had high hopes. Truly disappointing.

The hotel in general did not meet the expectations that the photos presented. It was dark, dirty, dusty, and had SEVERE cosmetic damage to the interior, including our room. There was little to no upkeep of the property and I was very disappointed. It served the purpose of having a “refuge” when we weren’t out and about but I would not stay here nor would I recommend this hotel to any one.

The location was a pretty good perk.

Good price.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Wifi was very bad in room. Need to go to the 1st floor lobby to use wifi.

Good price. Just in front of the Lee Statue (although it has already been removed).

Great location, but needs to upgrade their wifi and address background noise
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Wifi was not working. My room had a constant background noise like water running, as if someone was showering in the next room, but it was louder and constant.

Location was great. Convenient parking.

Affordable plus trendy
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Wi-Fi but I didn't mind too much. I didn't go to NO to sit in my hotel.

Nice with a bit of New Orleans culture. Very friendly staff. It was comforting to not have any hassles about having to bring our dog who is an Emotional Support animal, even though he is a larger breed.

It was a fair price, after all it's New Orleans! The staff made our stay nicer.
    • Queen Room

Carpets full of stains in our tiny room. Not enough space to open suitcases or shelves to get organized and settled. A step going down to the bathroom; we had to leave a light on at night to see it.

the staff was very friendly and the location, excellent: close to Convention Center, restaurants, and not too far to walk to the French Quarter.

Been to this hotel in the past and was happy. This time was neutral.
    • Queen Room

They are currently in the midst of a remodel, things are very barebones and the rooms are not upkept at this point. Walls allow noise to pass through easily and the doors slam to the rooms and stairwells; let for a lot of noise and variable schedules of guests guaranteed sleeping interruptions.

I liked the location relative to the convention center I liked the friendliness and responsiveness of the staff

The staff on every shift was friendly and helpful and...
    • Queen Room

I had an issue with the room door not being able to close without a couple of tries, but as long as you're aware, it's an irritation but not a huge deal.

The staff on every shift was friendly and helpful and greeted me with a smile.

I really want to like this place, but...
    • Queen Room

They are trying so hard to upgrade an older hotel, yet attention to detail is lacking. In my room one power point, one standard lamp and the wall safe were all not working. The wall safe (low battery) was reported and not fixed. Where is the checking of rooms (or do we just wait for complaints which are not followed up)? Wifi was low/dodgy at best, when I asked, I was given “the other wifi that needs no pass word”. Why was this not done “up front” to avoid 24 hours of frustrating falling out of connections?

Located at the current terminus of St Charles tram, so regular shuttle buses into Canal St. A 10 minute walk from Union Station if you are arriving by train or bus. Very friendly welcome, very comfy bed. Breakfast is ok.

Overall decent and comfortable stay!
    • Queen Room

Was a little pricey for one night, but I’m assuming it was because of the weekend we chose. The room was smaller than I expected with only one bed.

The parking was a few blocks from the hotel, but probably the most affordable over night parking in the city! That’s a plus! The staff was nice.

The people were really nice.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Continental breakfast - but I don't like in general, not just in that hotel It would be good to have an alternative, even if I would have to pay for it. Wifi connection was not very good.

The people were really nice. Rooms were big and comfortable.

perfectly good hotel at a decent price
    • Queen Room

The shower was not very good and the room was on the small side.

location was a mile or so from the French quarter, but walkable. Streetcars (trams) could be used and were cheap. I felt safe enough walking in the area at night, although there were a few dubious looking characters around.

Cleanliness in room and great advise from the desk staff.
    • Standard King Room

I do feel that it really should have been mentioned about the ongoing work to the hotel. I wasn't expecting to be sharing lists wit workmen and large bins.

Cleanliness in room and great advise from the desk staff.

All the staff at the day/night on the 24th of July were...

No fitness facility, no parking paid, picture of room looks bigger than the room!

All the staff at the day/night on the 24th of July were amazing!! They will make us come back soon!!

The Hotel Modern, while no longer modern, is a good place to stay in New Orleans
    • Standard King Room

It is an old building and needs upkeep. We were told it was about to become part of a chain, I think they said Holiday Inn.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was excellent; near most attractions but not noisy. Our room was comfortable and the breakfast was good.

They steal and leave room doors wide open after cleaning
    • Queen Room

Thieves. I will never stay here again. I will also inform all of my family and friends not to stay here as well.

My room door was left open. There was money stolen from my room and the manager never returned our calls regarding this matter

Breakfast was sub par, rooms were nice.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast was sub par, rooms were nice. Service friendly. Hotel has been sold and renovations have nor begun so no real amenities like fitness, restaurant, night club. Location to WW2 Museum is excellent, healthy but safe walk to the quarter. Very good area to catch St Charles line and much quieter than the quarter. Overall it was a positive experience I enjoyed, sadly they took Lee down in Lee Sq., so that is silly looking.

Just a so-so stay
    • Queen Room

The rooms were way to small. Could barley move around in there. The bed was to close to the ground. Not worth the money!!

The staff was real nice and the place was clean.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Quick enough walk to the city (and lots of public transport...
    • Queen Room

The area isn't the prettiest for a lone female traveller, but actually it was fine (and there's lots of public transport to avoid walking at night.

Quick enough walk to the city (and lots of public transport otherwise). I was on the top of the building so it was nice and quiet. Lots of nice places nearby (Howlin' Wolf in particular). Not far from the busses that go directly to/from the airport.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Great location and value
    • Queen Room

The location was very good in terms of access to street cars and within walking distance of French Quarter and water front park and a variety of restaurants a 10 minute walk. There was a convenience store across the street and a bar with live music just around the circle. The price point was very good. The tour info fellow was knowledgeable

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

Location was excellent.

Elevators seemed dark. Entire facility needs a refresh. Breakfast was okay at best.

Location was excellent. Check-in staff was excellent. Nice and quiet.

The location was good.
    • Standard King Room

The location was good....I was unfamiliar with NOLA and went with a recommendation of someone else who has stayed at Modern. The hotel location was great for walking around. The WWII museum is right around the corner.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Give it a try

Checked in on Friday night. Girls at front desk did not give good impression. Room was in separate bldg. Seemed a little sketchy but improved impression the next few days. Looks a little like House of Horrors at Disney from outside.

Good location next to WW2 museum and street car. Can walk anywhere from here in 15 min. Bed comfortable. Room very quiet at night. Good shower. Sounds like they are about to get major remodel.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

The hotel is close to the convention center and walking...
    • Standard King Room

Having hardly working wifi is very bad if you are on a business trip. For this price, breakfast, facilities and stuff attitude could be better.

The hotel is close to the convention center and walking distance to the French quarter

The bed was very comfortable and it was very convenient to...
    • Standard King Room

Walls were a bit thin so we could hear a lot of honking and yelling outside

The bed was very comfortable and it was very convenient to catch the trolley right outside

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Great room was clean there was shampoo and body wash already...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great room was clean there was shampoo and body wash already in the stand up showers! Great location ur able to catch the trolley straight to bourbon street!

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

Solid choice for hotel near the convention center
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The wifi came in and out, depending on the time of day. I was able to watch a 30min youtube video, I just had to wait for it to buffer for ~5 mins.

The staff were very helpful with their recommendations and accommodations. The breakfast was simple but tasty. The location wasn't too far from my points of interest and cabs were always just a minute or two away.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

A quiet hotel away from the crowds
    • Queen Room

There was complimentary breakfast available but we weren´t told about it. We just found out accidentally on the day we checked out. It is a fair distance from the French quarter.

Τhe bed was very comfortable and the room even though small , was very clean and had coffee amenities. There was paid parking right outside the hotel and the tram stop was just outside. In the near proximity there are several museums and other sightseings. It is a quiet hotel.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

You get what you pay for.
    • Standard King Room

The hotel ran out of towels, pillows, didn't have ice buckets for ice, and ran out of the fruit at breakfast. The rooms were small and had terrible lighting.

The beds were comfortable and the shower had good hot water pressure.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Pay the extra $20 a night and stay elsewhere!
    • Queen Room

Staff was not friendly, room and common areas are pretty rundown. In room safe did not work, tub drain plug was broken, had to ask several times before getting simple things like pillows, toilet paper and towels and the room was extremely tiny and had large holes in the wall. They ran out of syrup, and yogurt at breakfast the first day and had not replaced for the rest of our stay (5 days) We were forced to wait over 30 minutes when checking in as they had an issue with alll their booking.com reservations.

Location, price

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

The staff were friendly and it's well located within...
    • Queen Room

The room was noisy and a bit grotty. The breakfast was not good.

The staff were friendly and it's well located within walking distance of everything.

Super comfy bed, great shower.
    • Queen Room

No hotel parking meant it was expensive, however was good to have the option of a public car park right behind the hotel. One lightbulb didn't work, and bathroom tapped dripped constantly.

Super comfy bed, great shower. Great to have breakfast included in price. Only 10-15 min walk to Bourbon & Canal Streets, and to Riverwalk.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Good location away from the crowds
    • Queen Room

Better pillows. Some front desk staff need to be a bit more interested in serving customers than talking and texting on the phone

Location. Comfortable room

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Super Loud

This was the loudest hotel I have ever stayed in. The water running in the bathroom next door is so loud you can't carry on a conversation in your room. The walls must be super thin. Can hear conversations in the hall.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

• Standard King Room

The front desk guy of the 11/24 night was completely uninformed about baby cribs. We have to sleep with our daughter in the same bed because of his laziness and lack of professionalism. The room is tiny and there is not almost space for clothes storage

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Please check about tax !!
    • Queen Room

No laundry..while need microwave should go to bfast room And we are so surprise the price ots different whiches we booked.. and many kind of tax The price not fair with the condition

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

good location....
    • Queen Room

large street light outside bedroom window...like sleeping on a sun bed... asked fro 3 rooms close to each other had 1 on 2nd , 1 on 6th and 1 on 8 th floor..rooms are small. breakfast was poor...

the location was good $30 24hr parking..on tram line, walking distance to French quarter

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

Great deal for your money
    • Queen Room

There was no where to hang up clothes, so you really were living out of a suitcase.

The bed was very comfortable. The room was made up each day and breakfast was included in the already great price. The Concierge Geoff was a mine of information and was so helpful and easy to talk to.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

This property should not be on Booking.com
    • Queen Room

The only thing "modern" about the hotel is in the name. The room was so small that we couldn't get the luggage cart inside the room. The vanity was a small sink jammed between a wall on one side, a column on the other, A small shelf about 10" above the sink made the useable area so small that I couldn't even wet my face for shaving without getting water all over the floor. We stayed one night and then checked out the next morning. We had originally planned to stay 3 nights. Staff did refund the two nights that we didn't stay. We paid about $220 for a $50 room. This property should not be on Booking.com

Staff was friendly and refunded two nights out of three because we moved out.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Pictures online were very deceiving. Our blinds were literally falling and barely hanging on the wall. Our room felt very uncomfortable when we first walked in our thoughts were wth did we just pay for. The price was ridiculous for the quality. Was nothing as we expected.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Enjoyed our trip to New Orleans.
    • Queen Room

Lication to main areas were a bit far which required us to use Uber. Also having to pay for parking which will keep me from booking any future reservations at this hotel.

Wi-Fi availability and continental breakfast..

The location was nice.
    • Queen Room

I wish they would add seating in the courtyard instead of directly in front of the building at the street.

The location was nice. The area was not too busy but yet still close to the street car. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms are smaller but they are also very clean and decorated nicely.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

should've trusted other reviews...
    • Queen Room

room was small and felt dirty, bed was uncomfortable, staff was inapproachable. we left early to stay at the omni royal for $30 less a night, a much larger room with a more comfortable bed in the french quarter with a pool.

breakfast was good, concierge was kind and helpful

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Loved everything about this place, perfect for staying over...
    • Queen Room

Slightly far from bourbon st/French man st but still walkable as a wanderer 😊

Loved everything about this place, perfect for staying over for a few nights

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

The staff was polite and very helpful.
    • Queen Room

The mattress was very uncomfortable. The parking is additional cost, $35 per day, which we were not aware of until we arrived at check in.

The staff was polite and very helpful.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Do not trust booking or stay at this hotel

Booking.com over booked us and when we arrived our reservation was canceled. So the extremely rude lady said it was our problem and they were sold out. Obviously we had a confirmation number and made a fuss. So we got a queen shoe box room at the price promised for a prem King room. The carpet was dirty and everything was covered in dust. The shower gel was in a big bottle that was rusted at the top. The toilet paper holder was broken, so it continuously fell on the floor. The restaurant was closed down and the bar as well. They don't even give you bottle water.

The pillows were nice and water pressure was good in shower

Not happy

They charged my credit card prior to my stay and then changed me again for a no show. Need a better accounting system.

People

Clean

People

I loved the remodeled room.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Remodeling was still going on. Few amenities.

I loved the remodeled room. It was clean, new and the bed and bedding was divine.

Good value.
    • Queen Room

No bellman to assist with luggage.

Location in Arts/Whse district near Garden district ( Lee Circle ).

Great service and hospitality

The room was very small

Rooms very clean, friendly staff, nice breakfast area

Tiny rooms

Rooms very clean, friendly staff, nice breakfast area

All in all, it was a very nice stay.

Lobby very small.

Big bathroom. Complimentary breakfast.

Pleasant stay.
    • Standard King Room

Wifi limited. Breakfast limited, but enough.

Very spacy room - very good.

Nice place to stay while in town for the marathon event.
    • Queen Room

Very helpful & friendly staff.

Comfortable bed, clean building, good breakfast, and...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Towels were rough. Pool or gym would be really nice.

Comfortable bed, clean building, good breakfast, and friendly staff

The location is good for attending conference at the...
    • Standard King Room

Wi-Fi is very unstable. The heater is sometimes not warm enough.

The location is good for attending conference at the convention center.

Loved it!

I had no problem

I liked everything

The bed was super comfortable.
    • Queen Room

The bed was super comfortable. I loved everything about this place.

Great breakfast.
    • Queen Room

The noise across the street at the park.

Great breakfast.

Although the stay included also breakfast, there was not...
    • Standard King Room

Although the stay included also breakfast, there was not much breakfast.

Clean room

Hard to find

Clean room

It was just a nice stay.
    • Queen Room

The breakfast could have more of a variety, but I knew it was continental .

The bed was just dreamy.

Nuthn

Rooms

Nuthn

Great place for a weekend stay.

Spacious room, decent continental breakfast, friendly helpful staff--especially the concierge, within walking distance of the French Quarter.

Awful place in a good location.

All the rest poor .

Courteous staff

Nice option within a walking distance to FQ

Breakfast was very poor.

Staff was very nice.

Good staff and service

No wifi signal in the room

Browse The Hotel Modern New Orleans traveller photo gallery