Reviews of Le Meridien San Francisco 4 stars

333 Battery Street, Financial District, San Francisco, CA 94111, USA

#28 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

5.3

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Bad start, but in all a very positive experience.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

At arrival the hotel was overbooked. We were of course disappointed. Staff reacted in a very professional way offering accomodation in a superior hotel, transport and free breaakfast for us and for the guests we were to meet the next morning. On top of that we got an upgrade for the remaining three days. A story that started badly ended very fine! Good job of the staff.

Bed was very comfy.
    • Classic King Room with City View

The lobby lacked atmosphere and gave me the impression the rooms would be dark and old style, which they were not

Bed was very comfy. Work desk in room was excellent - standing height for easy access with comfortable bar chair, easily accessible power outlets and USB chargers. Gym was excellent for a hotel gym. Just needed some hand sanitiser.

Great room, great service, nice location.
    • Executive King with Bay View

Parking costs $60+ a day which adds up quickly. Seems to be the going rate for parking in the area though.

The bed was very comfortable, decent bay view out of higher rooms. Staff was great - friendly, courteous and helpful. We made our reservation through Booking and it hadn’t yet come up in their system when we showed up to check in. We had to wait 5–10 mins while they sorted it out and they gave us complimentary breakfast (almost a $50 value) and WiFi for waiting.

Overall good stay. Comfy rooms, good service. But parking is tough and valet is pricey.
    • Executive King with Bay View

Noise from the hallways and other rooms were loud. We could here housekeeping from down the hall and when our neighboring room was using their shower/tub/faucet it sounded like the water was on in our own room (pretty loud!).

Hotel was trendy and in a good location (we were attending a wedding at the Bentley Reserve so we were right next door). Large room with large bathroom, even a small balcony overlooking the city streets. Bed was comfy!

ok
    • Executive Double Room

When I checked in , the head of the reception did not accommodate us although we had a reservation and she was not nice at all , this kind of people should not be responsible of reception in hotels like Le Meridien

The area and the personal at the reception and concierge

It's ridiculous that they do not have free wifi in an SF...
    • Superior King Room with City View

It's ridiculous that they do not have free wifi in an SF hotel room. Really? $13? Also valet parking is a rip-off. Have a weekend rate please.

I know SF is expensive in general but this is certainly an overrated hotel in downtown.
    • Executive King with Bay View

Clumsy staff (not remembering the order or taking extra while to process it); extra offerings were not up to the money we paid for (we had SPG platinum membership but the benefits were very meagre, compared to what we get elsewhere)

Spacious room

Super expensive for no reason
    • Executive King with Bay View

Too expensive for the services. Not a 4 star by any standards. No restaurant - there is one but has been closed for the whole duration of our stay. No breakfast.

Location, plus they upgraded our room for extra money

Location is good for visiting San Francisco.
    • King Room - Disability Access

Hotel facilities/furniture is a little bit run down. Especially the bathrooms seem quite old. Windows were quite dirty.

Location is good for visiting San Francisco. The financial district is not the most interesting spot, but it's easy to get everywhere. And considering the huge price gap to Union Square Hotels it's quite good (since Union Square is easily walkable). Stayed on the 17th floor, which had a great view on Oakland bridge. Room was large and bed was comfortable.

It was my wife's birthday and the staff gave us...
    • Classic King Room with City View

It was my wife's birthday and the staff gave us breakfast for both days of our stay. Really means a lot that they care about all of their of there guest

The room is very big and comfortable, cleaning lady is nice and service is good.
    • Superior King Room with City View

The issue of free WIFI I mention above.

I paid for $688 USD for 2 nights on 12-13 DEC,, but there's no free WIFI..... but my cousin got the room on 10-11 Dec, only cost 140 USD per night, and had free WIFI...... This is unacceptable.....just this flaw made unhappy, the others are excellent !!!

Poor room layout, poor staff service.
    • Superior King Room with City View

Awful and expensive food (please pick one of these). Staff don't acknowledge gold status on check-in (nor check-in bonuses). Got a lecture when I inquired about the free wifi I was supposed to get (apparently this only counts in 'authorised digital channels' but that's not what it says on their page). There's a desk but it's essentially a barstool so working is a nightmare (this is a business hotel). Why the wifi isn't free in a US$300+/night hotel is beyond me. Room layout is a nightmare: I had to rearrange it to be able to turn the lights off from the bed (four lamps all further than metre away from the bed & no switch on the wall or reading lamp. Probably a nice place to stay if you were coming for the weekend and got a deal.

Bed reasonably comfortable. Shower good and toiletries good.

Fine enough given the price. Would stay again.
    • Executive King with Bay View

This is a hotel for young people who have different tastes and not a lot of experience about what's good and what isn't. You could fairly call it "trendy". If this hotel was not where it is, it would be mediocre. That said, the price (quite reasonable) appears to reflect this.

Nice location. Nice view. Reasonably comfortable. Reasonably priced.

Excellent staff.
    • Executive King with Bay View

Bed was close to room door, can be a bit noisy in the mornings as guests in neighboring rooms exit.

Excellent staff. Provided our room with hot water for tea and coffee service on request. Well designed and comfortable room, artfully decorated.

With Airbnb hurting hotels, I think they should focus on what makes them unique: service+food!
    • Executive King with Bay View

The buffet breakfast is terrible. For what I thought was a French Hotel (which it is not, I looked it up), I was extremely disappointed. Everything was of the lowest possible quality with really limited choices. And for $75 w/ tip for 2, a major rip off! No on site charging option for my E.V. ??? Who doesn't plan for this service anymore? Especially in California.

Quiet neighborhood.

• Executive King with Bay View

The staff walk in on me at my room, trying to check the mini bar. My flight back is late at night, cant get late checkout 5pm, instead they ask me to join room with my colleague. Maybe not suitable for business travellers who travel in groups.

Comfy room. Excellent location near lots of places to visit. Its also close to the business district. Staff generally friendly and helpful. When they cant find my booking, they booked me on a different room, solves my problem.

Great accomodation, will stay again.
    • Executive King with Bay View

No coffee facilities in room but complimentary coffee in lounge for guests.

Everything was perfect, location was great just outside of the touristy area so not crowded or loud. Staff were nice and helpful. Rooms were clean.

Perfect end to a perfect night!
    • Classic King Room with City View

I wish we could’ve stayed longer!

We stayed here after we got married in the Bay, it’s in the financial district, a short walk to the Embarcadero, which is why we picked it. We arrived at the hotel and immediately got a very warm welcome! We were still wearing gown and tux so everyone and first of all the staff congratualated us. We got an upgrade, drinks and strawberries sent up to our room. Room was spectacular, with a view of the city and the bay bridge, suggestive to look out the window, day or night. Next morning we got complimentary breakfast worth 24$ each. Good food, with the right combination of sweet and salty choices. Not every hotel is bound to give upgrades just because you walk in dressed as bride and groom and this very good review isn’t because of that but because of the staff, very welcoming and friendly, not a given in fancy hotels! I work in a hotel myself so that’s the first thing I’m prone to pay attention to. The staff makes the hotel. And this is very very good! From reception to restaurant, to vallet and bellman! Thumbs up to management for choosing to run a fancy hotel this way instead of the snobby way I often got to withness in other hotels.

I'll return because it was an excellent hotel, prime location with a great staff.
    • Superior King Room with City View

On Booking, it said wifi was included but it was not. However, the front desk immediately comp'd the wifi, so I was happy.

I had breakfast in the restaurant and it was excellent: poached eggs over crab cakes on a bed of spinach. Wow. Service was excellent, too.

Spontaneous trip to the Bay Area and was treated to Airshow and Fireworks from hotel room.
    • Classic King Room with City View

Tall African American staff member said she would call me when Room was ready at check-in .... never received a call. I came back and found all new staff ...

Great views of the bay and Coit Tower from 1507. Dog-friendly hotel staff.

Quite expensive for what it is

Parking is $70 a day!! Park across the street for $34 a day For $350 a night for bay view I would expect a better view (partial of bay bridge) and mainly buildings Quite noisy Walls are thin restaurant closed for dinner on Sat!

Very conveniently located Safe area Walking distance from Pier 1

Good location, clean room with great views
    • King Room - Disability Access

We could not find information about breakfast hours in the materials that were in the room - a bit frustrating. Shower curtain did not do its job very well - the bathroom was pretty much floating after taking a shower.

Location was great and the room was clean. We had a fabulous view from our corner room.

Good experience but not very professional service
    • Executive King with Bay View

Some of the receptionists were quite messy. Charged me twice for the room and did not apologize. The parking is absurdly expensive They refused to correct the data on the invoice to match my corporate address The system asked for over 12 usd for wifi access, even if it was included in the room rate

Excellent location Nice view

Expensive & Strange
    • King Room - Disability Access

$35 For their breakfast buffet for one person. Grounds in their coffee. $12.95 internet. Floor uneven in room. Rips in sheets. Warm room. Couldn't open curtains or Windows very far. Couldn't open or close door easily because it was on a timer for wheel-chair accessibility. Non wheel-chair accessible bathroom. Overall, strange and expensive. Redemption: front desk that checked me out took off breakfast and Wi-Fi without me saying anything. Unfortunately, will probably not return here.

Excellent value for upscale stay
    • Classic King Room with City View

No coffee provided in the room or even on the lobby.

Location is safe, walkable even to wharf area. Excellent restaurants and Starbucks right across the street.

Overall our stay was decent but would I stay there again no.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was under the assumption I was getting a complementary breakfast with the booking and free Wi-Fi . When I asked about Wi-Fi they wanted to charge me additional $14.95 but in the end they allowed me to have it for free but no complementary breakfast. In the morning around 9am the maid knocked on the door once and entered the room without giving us an opportunity to open the door. Luckily for us we were just sitting around drinking Starbucks .

My family was impressed with the hotel

We were running late due to a glitch with the car rental.
    • King Room - Disability Access

We were running late due to a glitch with the car rental. The staff greeted us kindly, upgraded our room and gave us drink tickets - we ate our dinner at 10:30 p.m. in the lounge - delicious!

Wrong Room
    • Executive King with Bay View

We received the wrong room, were promised another room, didn't get it until the last day. They did give us a really nice room the last night. We couldn't check in until 5:30 p.m. the first night because the "room wasn't ready". The property did give us free breakfasts and took $100 off the bill.

Great San Francisco hotel, very close to downtown
    • Executive King with Bay View

There's no coffee bar/ machine in the room.

I booked this hotel for the San Francisco marathon - and it was the perfect location! Very close to Union Square, the Ferry building and downtown for dinner and shopping. Also easy to get around. The marathon start was steps away - and it was great to be able to get back to my room so quickly after the race was done. Our room also had THE most amazing views of the Bay... over the city scape. It was wonderful during the day, but spectacular at night! Great hotel! Also many parking options close to the hotel that's a lot cheaper than the hotel's valet.

we were given a lovely upgrade by Josiah.

price to park

we were given a lovely upgrade by Josiah...it was the best rooms/suites we have ever had ...staying @ the hotel...made the visit very pleasurable!....thank you for the upgrade!!!

Very Professional!
    • Classic King Room with City View

Facilities were spotlessly clean, room incredibly comfortable and good sized, and all staff- especially the valet and door staff (so friendly and professional!!) were very accommodating. The Park Grill for breakfast and Bar 333 for dinner and drinks were both lovely in food and service. The hotel is in a beautiful part of the city to stay in, quiet on the weekends, scenic views being so close to the water, and yet still in close walking distance to the heart of downtown. I come to San Francisco often and always try to stay here when I can get a good rate on a room.

good but can be better
    • Classic King Room with City View

expensive room service delivery not a great view and not enough towels for 3 people and not a great variety of foods for room service specially for kids

the bed was comfy the ac was nice the room was a good size

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Executive suite is very spacious.
    • Luxury Suite

The hotel looks to be in the 70s environment although it has some new modern furnitures. I do not recommend for business travelers since it has a very small desk for work with high seats, very uncomfortable.

Executive suite is very spacious... avoid de luxury suite very small not worth it. I had to change it since the luxury had a queen bed and shower in a tub.

Best hotel!
    • King Room - Disability Access

Nothing! Everything was perfect!!

The staff!! Unbelievable! Especially Josiah, Cindy, and Juliet!! Incredibly accommodating and thorough. Love this hotel!!

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Great hotel and location
    • Superior King Room with City View

Staff was friendly and the room was clean and very quiet. My husband and I booked this trip to rest and we were definitely able to do just that at Le Meridien. In-room dining was delicious and very fast... great location near the Ferry Building, which has numerous restaurants and places to shop. All in all, great place to stay.

Not what I expected
    • Luxury Suite

Our room was given away, initially they downgraded us . Got to the room and had to call the front desk then we were told we upgraded but it was not to room we booked. We decided to leave a day early . The valet was extremely expensive.

Excellent Experience
    • Classic King Room with City View

There is no lock on the bathroom.

I like the atmosphere of the room. It was also very spacious and had a great view of the bay as well as the city. The room was very clean and furniture was well spread out.

Awesome place to stay!!!!
    • Classic King Room with City View

My only complaint if any was the room was a little warm for me, but it was really no big deal

We LOVE this hotel!!! The staff is always so friendly and accommodating....always going above and beyond. The beds are very comfy and rooms are tastefully decorated. Walking distance to great bars and restaurants

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Beautiful hotel good location

For $30 per person they need to step up the Buffett breakfast

The breakfast buffet Sunday morning was very over priced ; 3 of us ate and it was $91 for a sub par selection. The staff was friendly But the food wasn't very good

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

One of my favorite places to stay in SF
    • Executive King with Bay View

The ONLY thing I don't like is that there is no in room coffee.

I LOVE THAT I CAN WALK TO ALL OF MY FAVORITE PLACES FROM THERE. The bed is fantastic, I love to melt right into it with the down comforters and fluffy pillows. And 12n check out is perfect for sleeping in.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

3 stars instead of 4
    • Executive King with Bay View

It's real 3 stars hotel (no even a smell of 4 stars of more) No slippers (even upon request), everything needs renovation, no free wifi, no continental breakfast, unappropriate client service for Le Meridien brand

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

A happy surprise for the first time San Fran.
    • Classic King Room with City View

A happy surprise for the first time San Francisco where all the hotels were quite expensive. I didn't expect this good of quality for the money I paid. Bed & room looked great!

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Not exactly 4-star experience
    • Executive King with Bay View

There is no coffee/tea facility in the room - what hotel doesn't provide this in 2017?! Also, the 'free' wifi available (in the lobby only) isn't exactly as described.... you only get 5 hours per day, and the timer starts as soon as you log on for the first time. So if you check emails at 9am, you have access until 2pm no matter if you use it or not. After the 5 hours, you either have to pay (and that daily cost of $12.95 is extortionate), or wait for 24 hours. Not exactly what you expect from a 4-star hotel. In general, it felt like we were constantly being screwed to pay more for what any other hotel we've stayed in provide as standard. Another example - the free small bottle of water provided in the room - couples have to share it!

Spacious room and comfortable bed

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Perfect for the 30-something solo traveler
    • Superior King Room with City View

The heater was a noisy in my room. It kept waking me up my first two nights but I eventually got used to the sound. The windows do a good job of blocking out the street noise, but it does exist. There isn't cell phone service in the gym so you'll have to use the hotel wifi - make sure you have it! There was a really handsome staff member working by the door and I didn't like that I didn't get to see him until the last day of my stay.

I'm a 30-something traveler that loves location, convenience and privacy when it comes to a hotel. LM exceeded my expectations. The room was very clean, simple and modern. The bed was SO comfortable! The lobby was so beautiful with the holiday decor still up. The staff put me in a beautiful corner room with views of the Transamerica Pyramid and the Bay Bridge. You can't beat the location of the hotel; less than a 10 minute walk to Union Square, around the corner from Wayfare Tavern and some bars, a couple of blocks from the Ferry Building. The staff was extremely attentive; when I asked for a spoon to be sent to my room, they sent it to me on a platter instead of just handing me a spoon. They also provide you with a daily complimentary bottle of water. I loved the gym and the beautiful new machines. I became obsessed with the toiletries provided in the room and housekeeping was nice enough to leave me extra bottles!

An excellent experience
    • Luxury Suite

Gracious staff, who gave us an upgrade when our room wasn't ready to check in (we arrived early). Beautiful view, gorgeous room, perfect location.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

One grumpy service staff can ruin a stay
    • Superior King Room with City View

I came across a very grumpy front desk reception, male, on duty on the morning of 31 Dec, literally the most grumpy one I've ever seen from all the hotels I have stayed.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Very nice beds, spacious room, good location.
    • Classic King Room with City View

Our reservation was for 3 people but initially they gave us a room with one double bed, saying this is normal (?). We were lucky as there was one last room available which had space for a 3rd small bed. Towels and shampoos were for 1 and 2 persons respectively, had to ask extra. Internet is not free. Reception staff could be a bit more welcoming (even if i was not wearing a suit).

Very nice beds, spacious room, good location. Very quiet and fast wifi. Some of the reception staff.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Excellent Hotel in very good location
    • Classic King Room with City View

Water pressure of the shower head could be a bit more powerful.

Staff was very helpful, specially Ms. Laura, the concierge with her expert suggestions made my visit to San Francisco a total success.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Disappointed
    • Classic King Room with City View

They property does not put top sheets on the beds AND the pillows were very uncomfortable. You can text the valet to bring your car up, but it took more than 20 minutes and that was after we had waited the supposed 15 minutes it would take. Others were complaining they waited over 30 mins. The property was recently renovated, however they decor was very cheap looking. Would NOT stay here again, especially for the price.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Definitely gets my thumbs up
    • Classic King Room with City View

It's in the financial district. Nothing happens here at night. It's not far to more happening spots but there is zero vibe in this hotels direct area.

The room was big, the bed was really comfortable, staff super friendly, place super clean....all in all a really good hotel.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Great location in the financial district and near the embarcadero!!
    • Classic King Room with City View

Unfortunately, we were on a noisy floor with lots of small children.

the size of the room and location was great. Some of the higher rooms have terrific views.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

O.K.
    • Classic King Room with City View

Better parking or less expensive for valet, coffee pot or tea pot in the room. Shower for older people could use a hand rail, Extra blanket in closet instead of putting heater on. The refrigerator contents were VERY over priced ex: $12 for Nuts.

Staff was friendly, very helpful.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Huge rooms with nice views.
    • Executive King with Bay View

Lobby area was not very welcoming. Bit of a walk to main attractions.

Very spacious room with nice Bay view. Enormous, comfy bed. Large ultra-clean bathroom. Very quiet at night.

Overall, a nice stay despite initial blunder
    • Executive King with Bay View

I booked Deluxe King with Bay View. Initially, I was given a room at 8th floor, with a partial view of the Bay Bridge. The view is blocked by few taller buildings. This room is definitely not worth the money I paid for. Therefore, I requested for a room change.

The staff was kind enough to change my room to 17th floor with so much better view than originally assigned room. Thank you.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

Good location, bad experience
    • Executive King with Bay View

Very noisy. I have been waked up four days very very early because of car alarms in the street and groups of people crying against the hotel policies. It is unfortunate for you as well as for me. Bad location or bad luck ? I will think twice before booking a room at the Méridien next time. Best regards

Size of the room and interior design

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Poor follow up
    • Executive King with Bay View

Paid mini bar tab in cash before checking out. Billed for the mini bar tab after checking out. Called hotel who stated they would refund the money. Have since emailed the hotel and am still waiting for a reply and refund. Disappointing because apart from that, enjoyed my stay.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

The fire alarm went off at 5:30 in the morning and went on...
    • Executive King with Bay View

The fire alarm went off at 5:30 in the morning and went on for 2 mins, telling to get out of the hotel. had to call room service for 15 minutes and then try to sleep again. Nothing was mentioned by hotel staff of such inconvenience.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Love the fluffy king bed and view was amazing.
    • Executive King with Bay View

I don't like paying for wifi it should be included in the price.

Love the fluffy king bed and view was amazing. Thank you for a very comfortable experience

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

Great stay in San Francisco downotown.
    • Executive King with Bay View

No free wifi in the room. Pricey breakfast (but there's a lot of alternatives nearby).

Polite and friendly staff. The view from our room was amazing (1601). The room itself was great, very comfortable and contemporary at the same time. Great blackout curtains. Malin and Goetz bathroom set.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Le Meridian - a grand urban palace, but too pricey
    • Classic King Room with City View

Too expensive (room rate is just the beginning) ... having to pay for wifi ... $62 for parking ... dirty, grimy city feel outside ... disco music in elevator ... disco feel in lobby ... an experience for 1 night, but not our style.

Great view ... very grand feel, but not intimate --- go to Hotel Griffon for that.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Spectacular perfect SFO hotel
    • Executive King with Bay View

We loved that you places us bay view top floor! Made our trip so extra special with such spectacular views! The hotel was clean, modern and the beds / pillows were soooooo comfy! Staff were all excellent and great central location .

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Would not stay again as staff were horrible and double charged. Nice location, terrible coffee
    • King Room - Disability Access

Firstly we arrived and no record of our booking. They charged my card twice. When I queried this the receptionist lied and said it was a deposit for damages and the money would not be taken from account. However they did charge us. We had to go out of our way to ask for refund, they said we would get it. 10 days later still waiting. Very unhappy. Treated very badly by staff in hotel.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

good hotel with great service and well located
    • Classic King Room with City View

There was no coffee maker in the room but the free coffee available in the area around the restaurant was good

Good location in the Financial district within walking distance of the Embarcadero

Friendly, helpful staff

Friendly, helpful staff

The Wifi Rates are very expensive, should be included on the...
    • Executive King with Bay View

The Wifi Rates are very expensive, should be included on the rate. Breakfast was also expensive and not met the expectations

Great location and Bay view - although we did have to pay...
    • Executive King with Bay View

Great location and Bay view - although we did have to pay for it!

Very nice staff

Very nice staff

Bed super comfy
    • Classic King Room with City View

Too expensive to not have a bigger tub

Bed super comfy

Week days visit San Francisco
    • Classic King Room with City View

Nice view on weekdays ! Great showers & amenities. Visit the bay and have a sea soup!

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Excellent location for everything. Stylish hotel with great city views.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No free WiFi and size of room.

View and decor. Beds comfortable. Food excellent in bar.

Great location , great hotel
    • Executive Double Room

View could have been better

Service was excellent from all staff , superb , room was large and bed very comfy

Average but expensive
    • Executive King with Bay View

No special treatment or room for members

Convenient but uneventful location