Reviews of Le Meridien Cambridge 4 stars

20 Sidney Street, Central Square, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

#9 of 17 hotels in Cambridge

Country mice visiting the city

The AC didn't seem to be able to keep up with daytime rising temps. May have been just our room. This however would not deter us from staying here again.

Staff was exceedingly helpful. From front desk to housekeeping the folks were always there to help. Taxis they can get it. Shipping items, they can give you ideas and/or directions. Extra towels or pillows not a problem. Restaurants, we enjoyed their recommendations. Loved it!

This is the best hotel I booked when I travel to US This time.

So far no.

The room is two times bigger than the hotel I booked in midtown of Manhattan. I did not expect the extremely comfortable room. I love this hotel. Because the location is wonderful, close to MIT and the Main Street. There are many things to do on the Main Street, such as shopping, eating, drinking. It is a quite safe area. There are still lots of people around 11:30pm on the street. The hotel is super clean and tidy. I did not expect that standard when I booked it. Although the price is higher than Airbnb I booked near this area, the price exceeds the expected accommodation and the staying experience. I will definitely recommend my friends to book the hotel.

Beautiful and great price and location!
    • Classic King Room

We have stayed here 3 times before. Everytime I think let's use Airbnb in Cambridge, I remember Le Meridien and we go there. Love the staff, beautiful courtyard view, great huge window for sunlight. Thank you!

Dissapointed
    • Classic King Room

Terrible Staff, Management and Room Service Bad Food The Management don´t want to receive complaints of feedbacks I will not return

Nice building, good rooms

Bad experience in this hotel because I knew where my belt is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Classic King Room

I lost one important belt( for me) I called and anybody knew about it. I called few hours after I did my checkout.Befere the next check in. I never had been notice one apology

Room was clean
    • Classic King Room

The AC unit sounded like a bad engine...and turning it off only let me listen to the bad motors on all other room's units. You could hear every on/off of faucets. On the upside there were ear plugs on the night-stand! I travel a lot, the quality of this room was an outlier. Not particularly cheap either.

Room was clean

The bartender, Mike, was very pleasant
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The bartender, Mike, was very pleasant And Professional. The chef was very Cordial and brought my college grad a special treat to the room, which was Awesome!!! Our check in was also handled in a courteous manner. Thank You LeMeridien for a very pleasant stay!!

Staff is exeptional
    • Classic King Room

Restaurant is ok. Food choices are average and the ambiance isn't great, yet fine for a quick meal. The neighborhood has a wide selection of options especially those that cater to a university crowd, of course.

Location is excellent especially if visiting MIT. The room is spacious and the bed is very comfortable.

Good hotel, great breakfast.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Some fixtures are rather old and dated. But this would not stop me recommending this hotel.

The location is good. Just a short walk to Central T station which takes you to the centre of Boston very quickly. Public areas in the hotel are modern and stylish. Food served in ghe restaurant delicious. Good variety in the breakfast menu (cost not included in stay).

On the first night, I just could not sleep.

On the first night, I just could not sleep. The heater made an extremely loud noise every hour and so, and it would wake me up. I’m not a light sleeper, so I know that the problem was really with the heater. It would make an extremely louse noise very often. I had to work the next day. It was a disaster. And the hotel was actually pretty expensive, you would not expect that. A couple friends with me stayed in a room with heir small kid. They found an inappropriate object hiding under the bed. Disgusting. What a disappointment.

* Walls/floors are a little thin.

* Walls/floors are a little thin. We heard the family next door quite clearly, including their baby, in the morning. * Late checkout rules were a little onerous. They let us have a 1pm checkout but the card key stopped working at noon.

Horrible service, which is a pity because the hotel used to be a favorite.

Everything from repairs taking place outside my room during the day, lack of any mini bar, calling room service was a hassle every time because they didn’t pick up for 5-10 mins, lost a package I had delivered to the hotel for around a day, tv kept having issues etc.

The location was great.

I would stay here everytime I visit Cambridge

The pictures on the website showed a fully updated bathroom and ours was not

Staff were amazing, bed was fantastic, room and facilities were clean and even smelled clean

It was comfortable, easy and satisfied its purpose.

I would have liked a water boiler to be in my room in addition to the coffee maker as the taste of coffee over takes the tea flavor.

The bed was extra comfy, rooms were spacious and the staff was very helpful and polite

Great place , good service , excellent location and very nice ambiance!

Coffee too weak ! Restaurant food average A bit of fumes from renovation/ maintenance! All smaller things except for the coffee being very weak in taste !

Room excellent , staff very nice

The location is the only thing this hotel has going for it.

The hotel was under construction. At no point in the reservation process or check-in were we informed of this. Our initial room was on a floor that was completely under construction and a disaster. Small things: no trashcans in the room, only 2 small towels were provided, no robes or alternatives. After my shower the piercing smoke alarm went off. We had to request a new room from not very accommodating staff, which came with 7am hammering on both Sat and Sun. They did not provide cleaning service or restock our coffee/shampoo at any point of our stay. This was the worst Starwood property I have ever visited.

The best part about this hotel was the location.

the good location!

no breakfast provide

the good location! the hotel is very near MIT and red line central , so it's very convenient. The most important is the sleeping mattress is so good that everyday when I go to bed , I always have a nice sleep.Highly recommended!

We were very happy!
    • Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Wish there were USB ports in the room, would have liked two robes instead of one, key system for elevator was occasionally touchy. Very small gripes!

First-rate experience in a first-rate contemporary hotel.
    • Classic King Room

The black and white artwork (of chairs) in room was truly dismal and depressing. Please try to find something more uplifting and replace it! Otherwise, our experience was fabulous and the Booking.com rate for $100 brought us there. We hope to return.

Lovely place, hotel bar was cozy, check in was friendly. A+

Lovely modern hotel

Food in restaurant was just okay. Filled a hole but wasn’t anything to write home about. Plenty of restaurants near by but I just wanted something quick before I went to bed.

Staff were friendly, hotel was clean and it’s in a good location.

We love staying here 1-2 times per year!

I wish they had refrigerators in the rooms, there is a spot for one in the cabinetry, but the last few times we stayed, there wasn’t one in the room anymore.

We repeatedly stay at Le Meridien for its location, staff, and clean comfortable rooms. It is a great value in the off season, there is a local grocery store, excellent restaurant, ATM, Dunkin Donuts, CVS, and most everything else you could need.

The staff at reception were exceptionally friendly and...
    • Classic King Room

The staff at reception were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The room exceeded expectations- two comfy king size beds, lovely bathroom facilities and excellent toiletries. We couldn’t have asked for more - a fantastic base to explore Cambridge and Boston.

Without people in no manners, overall was nice. Location is perfect.

It’s not about the hotel or staffs. It’s about guests. They played game and made noisy a lot at 3:00 am. The other day some people gathered at next room and laguhed, talked so loudly at 2:00 am. The good thing was when I called to front desk to solve these problems, they did it so quickly.

Location. Big store is just next door. Kind staff at all. Even we left our room late afternoon, our room was always cleaned so nicely.

We loved the property, location, and staff.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We have stayed at the Meridien many times, and have always been very pleased. This visit was no exception. The staff was lovely, welcoming, and responsive, and the accomodations were lovely.

It was the right price and the right place.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Decor in the rooms (we had 3) was all the same and very corporate. There was a promotion for a "sparkling" reception every night that apparently has been long-canceled, and it was promoted in a place that was not identified in any other literature. If the rooms had been full price I would have considered other options in the area.

The staff was very helpful and cheerful. The bar was a very nice way to finish one of the evenings. The restaurant was good for breakfast. The gym was well equipped. Elevators were prompt and rooms were well appointed.

Le Meredien is a lovely hotel in the heart of Cambridge. Walkable to Mass. Ave. amenities and the T.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I was shocked and unprepared for the steep incidentals surcharge eventhough it is refundable.

The room was very nice. The hotel is in the perfect location for where I needed to be.

The people almost made up for the isolated location and room problems.

Low bath lighting. Poor pillows. Hate that there is no sheet so have no choice but to use the comforter. Broken faucet handle.

Very friendly staff. Good food.

I liked the proximity - supermarket next door and the T...
    • Classic King Room

TV entertainment options limited. Deal on minimising housekeeping too restrictive.

I liked the proximity - supermarket next door and the T fairly close. I liked the staff - helpful.

Second stay here and I'll stay again. Could not be more convenient!

Housekeeping was a bit disorganized and failed to clean my room one day, even after I called.... twice. But they gave me a voucher for breakfast, which was a nice gesture. Also, the beds are not the most comfortable, adequate but not wonderful.

Location is terrific if you're visiting either Harvard or MIT. A quick walk to the Central T and a large choice of bars and restaurants.

Nice hotel in good location

Price was high. Missing fridge in room. Front desk did not bring more water when requested. Coffee in lobby always cold or ran out.

Good location. Nice spacious and comfortable room, very nice check in staff.

Very comfortable room, great location for exploring...
    • Classic King Room

Staff generally good but some exceptions. Valet parking guy was not helpful. We wanted to self park and know where to unload our bags, but he wasn't interested. Front desk was not proactive in finding us a room on the floor we had asked for in advance

Very comfortable room, great location for exploring Cambridge and nearby T to get to Boston

Overall very good hotel. Have stayed there many times and would stay there again.
    • Classic King Room

Parking lot is a little sketchy. My wife said that she would not feel safe going to car alone. Like all hotels in Cambridge, quite pricey.

Clean, well appointed hotel.

Greedy, unfair business practice.
    • Classic King Room

I was charged $ 786.00 for a standard King size room because all 434 hotels were full in Boston due to 2 conventions in town. This was more than double the standard King room rack rate. The front desk refused to adjust the price to a reasonable level. This is price gouging, and management justified it by saying all the hotels in Boston were doing it due to heavy demand. We had no alternative but to pay, or go back to the airport and stay up all night.

The staff are really nice and friendly and the location is...

The rooms are really noisy - you can hear everything up down and either side. The breakfast is shockingly over priced. The over use of pumped deodorant/fragrance is over-powering and smells terrible.

The staff are really nice and friendly and the location is great for MIT

Breakfastw as excellent as was the service and the price
    • Classic King Room

The restaurant was good for breakfast but not conducive to a good ambiance for dinner The bar was " cold "

Breakfastw as excellent as was the service and the price

The location is great, close to MIT and Harvard and...

Staff is friendly but sometimes not that helpful when they were receiving phone call from me for asking the left behind stuff. It looked like they were not following up my lost and found request. But when I called back the fourth time, the issue got solved. Thanks.

The location is great, close to MIT and Harvard and restaurants.

A hotel well located, clean, good ambience

No towel racks in the bathroom, requests to housekeeping were found wanting

The concierge desk was attentive, reception was helpful, ambience was good.

Great location, but no better than a budget motel.
    • Classic King Room

There was nothing that was special. No extras included. You had to pay for parking. You had to pay for breakfast. Description said there was a sleeper sofa, but when we got to the room, it there was no sofa, let alone a sleeper sofa. The hotel seems like a fancy hotel, but when it comes down to it, it didnt seem better than a budget motel. As a matter of fact, I've had better experiences at Holiday Inn Express and Best Western. To me the only good thing about this hotel is its location. Don't expect great customer service or anything extra.

The location was great. The bed was super comfortable.

Great overnight stay for a trip to Fenway
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

There wasn't really anything to complain about..

The bed was very comfortable, the room size was great. The staff were pleasant and check in/check out went very smoothly and quickly. Location was great to get in and out of Fenway.

Restaurant downstairs actually very good.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Hotel very loud, walls very thin. Housekeeping staff very loud talking to amongst themselves in the hall

Restaurant downstairs actually very good. Staff very accommodating

I would not stay here again nor recomment it to anyone, this was in no way a hospitable environment.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Leaking Air Conditioning: I called the front desk to have the air conditioner in our room fixed (it was leaking creating a puddle in front of the door). They came up immediately to fix the leak, however did nothing to clean up the existing puddle on the floor. I did not expect a room change or anything extreme, but this stayed soaking wet for the rest of our stay. Valet: I stayed here with my bridesmaids the night before my wedding. We had several issues with the valet taking longer than expected retrieving my car. We even called about 15 minutes ahead the day of the wedding, and we still ended up having to wait outside for another 10 minutes before the car was finally brought around.

The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was clean.

Great place to stay when in Cambridge Boston
    • Classic King Room

Everything was great loved it

The bed was extra comfy and the chef was good always welcomes you at the door with a biting which is great and the water Lemmon was great at a hot walk around its helps a lot loved the hotel

Excellent Experience

There was even a supermarket adjacent to the hotel. Water was supplied in my room daily. Coffee and tea options in room...but it is always the quality of the welcome by staff that makes the difference. Each member of staff was welcoming and eager to be of assistance. At 5am they even went to knock on the door of the person I was to ride to the airport with when we realised her phone did not function so she would be on time. This is the kind of attention that makes a difference.

Disappointing, and terrible value for money.

Rooms were dreary, seating incredibly cheap and uncomfortable, decor dark and depressing, no mini bar. A two star experience for nearly $400! Never again.

Bar was good and made us excellent sandwiches for lunch.

Exceeded Expectations at Every Turn
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The ONLY issue was a room of boisterous teenagers/young adults in the room next door. It sounded like one had booked the room & friends joined the 'party'. (However, I must note KUDOS to Housekeeping for informing one young guest that NO SMOKING was the policy on our floor. The individual protested loudly, but the Housekeeper maintained a firm stance. The issue was resolved.)

At reception Nancy was very professional & knowledgeable about Cambridge & the Universities. She graciously tended to all of our needs. Liazam assisted us upon checkout with our luggage. He too was very kind, informative and quickly tended to our needs. The hotel is beautiful, with rooms that are beautiful, extremely comfortable and practical (user-friendly). We look forward to our next stay!

Stay among brainiacs!

The bell-person was great and gave us good tips about the neighborhood. The staff was friendly towards my family and our pet. We checked in early and they made a room available instantly for us. BTW, check-in was super-fast! The location is golden right in-between Harvard and MIT, with night-life and 24-hr eating/drinking joints and feels safe. Lot of student crowd (not the rowdy kind). Walking distance to the river-front where we enjoyed a great July 4th fireworks

Let Down

It is NOT that close to Fenway. Booking.com made it seem like it was walking distance. It was NOT. Also, they have a terrible room service/restaurant menu and not many places to eat around the hotel.

Good spot

Nothing comes to mind

Good location for plenty of walking around Cambridge and close enough to walk into Boston itself. Filter coffee is the foyer of a morning was nice and better than many cafes.

Great hotel but the free wifi is slow

The free wi-fi in my room was shocking. I couldn't even send an email! It was OK in the lobby and restaurant though. The walls were a little thin, I could hear the next door room quite a lot.

This hotel is in a fantastic location, close to lots of restaurants and easy access to the T. The room was very comfortable.

Lovely luxurious and comfortable rooms ideally situated
    • Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Loved it.

Uber from airport was $21. Check in and front desk service was stellar. Room was spacious and very clean. Bed and linens were superb. Lovely toiletries but 2 bars of soap would be better for 2 travellers. I would definitely stay there again.

The location and the hotel itself was nice.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The staff however was pretty bleh. We arrived to valet our car and No greeting. No help with bags. Just very lackluster staff for a SPG hotel. Again the location was great. But the staff ( the valet, front desk ,)was just not impressive. The two servers we had in dining area were quite personable and attentive. The initial greeting to a hotel just sets the tone to your vibe of the hotel... so it just one of those things that surprised me that the first impression of the hotel was tainted by the valet and front desk and again the last impression was interaction with two lackluster valet and front desk . I

The location and the hotel itself was nice.

Decent stay

there was a radio/mp3 player that wouldn't work. a menu was provided with the pricing for mini bar and snacks but there was nothing in the room which was weird.

the location and property by itself was good. room was spacious and comfortable. staff was pleasant. we were only here a night so it was ok for that duration.

Pleasant and Accommodating
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

No continental breakfast....so maybe a few more keurig cups in the room to accommodate more than one guest in the room.

Staff at the door, desk, and housekeeping were all helpful and welcoming. Close to good places to eat.

Overpriced for what it's worth

I really had a bad experience with the reception staff. I checked in with a guest friend and for some reason the registration ended up being in her name. The reception staff made me very worried about the existence of my registration and treated me like second grade citizen. Not what I expect from what used to be one of my favourite hotel chains. Also no minibar.

The beds were comfortable and the hotel was located between Boston and Cambridge which was nice

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

access to Harvard was straight-forward from here and the...

Starwood's bed-making would be improved if rooms included a light blanket or sheet that was available as an option to the down comforter. Also, the HVAC unit in our room was quite loud.

access to Harvard was straight-forward from here and the staff were cheerful, informed and very helpful. The hotel itself was very well kept and decorated with a sophisticated and restful decor.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

This hotel is in the buzzling area of Central square,...

The room decors felt basic for a 4 star hotel and a nightly rate of $400. It is located amidst biotech companies.

This hotel is in the buzzling area of Central square, minutes walk from MIT campus. There is a choice of restaurants, cafes, and bars very close by. Front desk staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. Spatious and quiet room, looking down onto courtyard. Overall a good experience.

Outstanding customer service - easy check-in, and upon...

Parking is outrageous

Outstanding customer service - easy check-in, and upon arriving to our room, a follow up phone call to make sure everything was to our liking. VERY expensive to park (over $40 per nite) so don't drive if you don't have to. No real need for a vehicle. Plenty of places to eat, and a supermarket right next door.

Convenient, but pricey.
    • Classic King Room

ADA room is never my preference. Water pressure was low. Costs were high for the room and for parking.

Bed was comfortable. Food was available and open when needed. Front desk people were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Only the cleaning staff were friendly
    • Classic King Room

Be warned, booked a bedroom with two queen beds but the fine print says that they can stick you with a single King bed (which they did, for three people). They offered us a rollaway bed after a few minutes. Wine glass left outside the room we were checking into. Don't bother trying to get bartender's attention at the lounge, even though there were only a handful of people both nights we eventually had to chase them down to ask if we could place on order, on the second night I just gave up after several minutes- no acknowledgement that they would ever "Be right with you". We won't be going back here, there are thousands of other places in Boston for the same price and friendlier staff.

Recommended for business in the Boston/Cambridge area
    • Superior King Room

Check in took a long time due to understaffed front desk.

Modern well appointed hotel well located in Cambridge with easy access to subway and road network.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

Good place to sleep near Harvard and MIT.

After three weeks in Europe the US feels like it was designed and built by Home Depot. Sorry, I am spoiled now. This hotel is nearly exactly like every other main line hotel.

This hotel is close to the subway (T) and otherwise average upscale.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

Overpriced, lots of problems

The beds were poorly made (including jus piling bed covers behind TV one day), sheets torn, bath not well cleaned (dribbles from shampoo bottle and bath cup not wiped up), no minibar, Keurig did not work, keys repeatedly did not work, rooms not soundproof (esp. into hall), view poor, understaffed at front desk & bar. Fancy furnishings, but often wobbly or off kilter. Two guests, but only one bath robe, one tea pod. VERY overpriced. Not up to standard of former owners.

Staff friendly and helpful. Connected to a grocery store (that does not carry wine). Near bus and the T. Near MIT. NICE, moderne art. Accepts dogs.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

Classy stay with handy location

The people in the room next door were very noisy unfortunately. The soundproofing of the doors was not so great as we could hear people in the corridor all night

Bedding was lovely, room made up nicely whilst we were out. Great location

Nice to offer free water and coffee in the rooms and coffee...
    • Classic King Room

The faucet did not turn off easily. Had to call to have the handyman person come fix it.

Nice to offer free water and coffee in the rooms and coffee in the lobby.

Hotel was good, this website stopped it from being great

Booking.com did not communicate with hotel that we had 4 people and needed two queen beds. The staff was very good to supply us with a roll away bed, but this was not really the perfect fix by any stretch. I was advised to book directly through the hotel in the future and that is what I will do.

The staff was nice and the room was clean.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Perfect location to enjoy Cambridge.

The room could've been more updated in the bathroom and a continental breakfast would be great if it was included.

The staff at the bar and restaurant were very professional and made our stay more enjoyable - amazing team.

Pretty clean room, great amenities, delicious breakfast...

Stuff operation can be improved. On last day morning of my stay, 3 stuffs came to my room. I thought it would have been nice if those jobs had been done after my check-out. (Those were like changing time on the clock for summer time, cleaning the dishes of breakfast and cleaning the room...)

Pretty clean room, great amenities, delicious breakfast (which is not included).

Great location for center of Cambridge
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Check in was rather slow - there could have been more than one person on the desk Breakfast not included, only restaurant was upscale and expensive

Excellent gym facilities, available 24 hours Comfortable room Appealing public space on ground floor

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Insufficient, I will not go back

The shower was not great. There was a very very noisy heat exchanger in room 631 that couldn't make me sleep. Did isolation of room is marginal, a neighbor calling overnight woke me up every night

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Convenient spot, good fitness center

A/C surprisingly noisy throughout the night for a property of this level/price. Bring earplugs if you've a light sleep! Bizarre design for the night-table lamps, heavy objects suspended from the ceiling with a switch below, so you'll have them swing all over the place while looking for switching them on in the night.

Convenient spot, good fitness center

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

High hopes, low payout.

The price. We have stayed at hotels with better amenities and more to offer for the price. No USB jacks in the room, Asked for a room without an adjoining room door yet we had one. We would have loved to have a walk in shower but I was told they were for handicapped people and I did not want to take away from their needs.

The staff was very attentive and pleasant. The rooms were clean and comfortable. It was within walking distance to the plans we had made for the night. I thought the bathrobe was very comfortable. I wanted to take it home. :) The weather the weekend we stayed was fabulous!!!

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

Comfortable, convenient, if not overly friendly.
    • Classic King Room

The staff was curt, not overly friendly. The room (401) was a little noisy because it's across from fitness room). One of the waiters at the restaurant was a bit rude when he realized his co-worker had not charged me for coffee or juice. As someone who is staying in the hotel, I thought it was weird that he felt the need to bring me a separate check and use an accusatory tone. There was no USB charger on the desk or nightstand. That really should be standard by now.

Liked the location. Perfect for me. Rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

A clean, friendly, and modern hotel in a vibrant college...
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

A clean, friendly, and modern hotel in a vibrant college area within walking distance of a wide variety of restaurants, bars, and cool little shops. Close to the T and free parking on the street out front if you're lucky enough to find a spot.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Great location in the heart of Cambridge.

The sink in the bathroom.....trying too hard to be contemporary. Sink fills up with water and makes a mess.

The hotel is very nice and clean. The staff is pleasant. The bed was very comfortable. The location is great in the heart of Cambridge. Free entry to the MIT Museum across the street. You have to pay for parking the garage next door. Thought we'd get a discount for parking because we were staying at the hotel.

GoodComfort in Convenient Cambridge location.

Room showed some signs of wear and tear on the headboard fabric. The bathroom towels could use an update to something softer.

Helpful and courteous staff. Comfortable bed and clean room. Great location in Cambridge.