Reviews of Le Richelieu in the French Quarter 3 stars

#16 of 38 B&Bs and Inns in New Orleans

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Will return!!!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The chain lock on door did not have a screw in it so I was unable to second lock door.

Breakfast was wonderful and the staff in the bar area was GREAT.

We will definitely be back to stay again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff were all extremely friendly, and helpful. They made great recommendations for restaurants and attractions to visit. The hotel has great history and is well maintained. The hotel is kept clean by a great clean crew. The saltwater pool is a great place to cool off after site seeing.

Water pressure was a little off but that’s fine.

Great location. Mellow hotel. Great 24hr delivery for anything from Verti Mart. Wish I could have stayed longer.

Everything else is fantastic and we will always stay here...

The only bad thing is the water pressure and drainage in the showers. We have stayed many times and it doesn't seem to matter which room we get.

Everything else is fantastic and we will always stay here when we visit.

Good staff, old hotel, smell was not good
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I liked the staff at the hotel. They were very kind and had a lot of knowledge. The hotel seemed outdated and old for the price I payed. The rooms were cleaned everyday, but the bathrooms are old. Comfortable mattresses. The rooms and hallways smell like old people.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

French quarter.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Paying so much for parking. No coffee pot in room. Calling pancakes crepes as prefer real French crepes if that's what you are going to call them!

Location, location, location. Breakfast on site. Front desk people were all genuinely lovely.

Perfect hub to explore real New Orleans
    • Queen Room

A simple, reasonably priced slice of old fashioned New Orleans charm. Complete with a beautiful courtyard-nestled outdoor pool (perfect for a late evening cool down) and classic French style balconies. Only a 5 minute walk from Frenchmen and/or Bourbon Street.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Maybe the noise at night of the door to go outside to the pool. But this was such a good hotel that it isn’t even an issue

Everything Clean. So clean! Sometimes an older hotel is cleaner than a modern one Friendly staff Old front desk looks so romantic, going back in time Location, in the french quarter High ceilings Beautiful room, gorgeous if you like romance and classic old style

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Great old hotel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Too expensive to park 30$ per night No regulations on pool usage which meant noicy kids bathing in the pool until 11pm. Pretty small queen sized beds

The location and the old French appearance and romantic atmosphere. The pool area was great The private parking lot

Great!

No room service or towel service at night

The location of this place is great. You can walk or take a street car all over the city but still get peace and quiet at night.

Location, room was clean, easy check in/out
    • Queen Room

Not have friendly staff, one morning we decided to have breakfast in the hotel because we were too hungry to go outside but guess what they forget our order after 40 minutes we ask about it and one of the staff said i did not get your order i’ll ask the other staff and he did then about 10 minutes later she came back and said i am sorry they must have lost the ticket that i gave them then after about 20 minutes we have our breakfast my wife ordered continental and it is just 2 slices of toasted bread one small cup butter and 1 small cup jam, finished yet? No! i have waited 15 minutes to ask for the check can you believe it?Then i went inside to pay the check and of course no tip.İt is a very smal hotel and its restaurant is even smaller i can understand the first situation but the second one no it is just disrespect if i were in their shoes i would be around my costumers if they need anything because i just make them wait for 70 minutes to get toasted bread!!!

Location, room was clean, easy check in/out

Loved it! It exceeded my expectations in all ways except the water pressure one!

My ONLY complaint about this property was the HORRIBLE water pressure. I have very long, thick, coarse hair, and was unable to wash my hair once during my three day stay. If I had, it would have taken at least an hour just to get it wet enough to lather, much less rinse the soap out. Unless I cut off my hair, that's the ONLY thing that would keep me from returning for a stay more than a few days. Which is a shame...we plan on staying at least a week next year.

The rooms, and views were incredible. The bed was very comfy, pillows, too...no bedbugs, either. (My sisters are in the apartment business and told me how to check.) The AC rocked...and the ceiling fan in the room made it downright cold at night. The location enabled me to park my car and not drive it once during my stay--I walked just about everywhere, and the two locations I did need rides to... The steamboat and the WW2 Museum? I used Lyft. We walked to the Quarter, the Market and meals every day.

due to service cleanroom & location it was a great experience for first time visit to NO!!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The water pressure so low that it took forever to shower, often stood in water when showering. Called service for clogged toilet and basin but it was taken care of. Refrigerator and ice bucket and glasses was in the bathroom??!! Website did not mention cost for parking.

The location was great. Staff was awesome. Hotel was dated but clean.

This is my favorite place to stay in the French Quarter.

This is my favorite place to stay in the French Quarter. I've been her several times. Great location, close to Frenchmen Street, Bourbon Street and the French Market. Ask to see Paul McCartney's room if it is not being used.

Pleasant.
    • Queen Room

The only thing I didn't like was that the kitchen closed so early.

We had a suite and it was very clean, the staff provided timely room service and it had that great New Orleans feel.

Great location nice pool area

Water pressure was not good. It could be a bit cleaner, the place smelt very damp when we arrived after opening the window it was alot better.

Location was very good without being noisy.Pool area was nice after a hot day. Free coffee was good. Staff were helpful.

2nd time staying here and will be back .
    • Queen Room

Great location, friendly staff. Near French market and variety of great restaurants. So much to do in between the hotel and our walk to bourbon street

Location was convient to everything.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Building is old, which was one thing I really loved but AC was a little weak due to age of building. Overall no complaints

Location was convient to everything. Bar area was nice breakfast was very good

Will recommend this hotel to everyone visiting NO. Excellent location and the courtyard felt like w

The desk and chair were in the way of the path to the bathroom and the seat needed reupholstering. This had no effect on my desire to return to this hotel.

The welcoming warmth of staff. The terrace dining by the pool was such a delight.

We've stayed at Le Richelieu many times and have never...

Better pillows.

We've stayed at Le Richelieu many times and have never been disappointed. The staff is always friendly & helpful, and hospitality is the hallmark of this hotel.

Perfect location for sightseeing and soaking up the atmosphere of the fabulous French Quarter!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathrooms were a little shabby and out of date but in full working order!

The Staff were always cheerful and very helpful. The location was excellent if you want to be in the heart of the older end of town.

Great stay in New Orleans

Room was a bit tired, especially the bathroom. Some members of staff not friendly.

Great location in the French Quarter, near the center bur far enough away not to be noisy. Car park a great benefit, pool area good as is the bar.

Very spacious and I loved how everything seemed original and...
    • King Suite

The faucet leaked but was not really bothersome

Very spacious and I loved how everything seemed original and true to the city. The hotel is very Charming.

I love the location of this hotel.
    • Queen Room

I think the hotel could use some renovations and some updating.

I love the location of this hotel. The pool was nice, as well as the little bar area. Bed was comfortable.

Friendly well run hotel.
    • Queen Room

A bit noisy at times but that is what you get staying in the French Quarter, especially during Jazz Festival.

Friendly well run hotel. Great location.

I should have stayed elsewhere.

Ground floor room in sketchy part of neighborhood. I asked to be moved to another floor, but clerk refused, then moved other guests the very next day. Dirty bandaids floating in the pool. Broken Iron on my room left black marks on my clothes. Shower backed up during every use...I was standing in five inches of water. Not a great experience.

acceptable parking facilities. Bartender was very pleasant.

Enjoyable and relaxing.
    • King Suite

I am not too keen on the bigger suites that include a kitchen and lounge but I imagine they might suit couples and families.

This is my favourite hotel to stay in New Orleans. It has a sense of history to it. Its rooms are period rooms with the furniture and decor reflecting from an earlier era. Many of the rooms have balconies. It is relaxing at night to sit out on the balcony and watch what is happening below in the street while sipping a drink. On hot nights, leaving the balcony door open brings a cooling breeze into the room and provides a peaceful sleep. The beds are comfortable and easy to sleep on. Downstairs the hotel has an excellent pool that is open late and a bar that is also open until about 11pm. The hotel also offers a breakfast menu with a wide choice of New Orleans dishes. The staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel is in an excellent location near historic sites along Chartres Street and is also close to Frenchman's street with its array of jazz clubs and restaurants.

Nice quiet location.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms could us a little update

Nice quiet location. Looked out on residential properties and great big magnolia tree. Easy walking to Frenchmen St. Have stayed on Canal St side many times - busier, more stores but there are nice restaurants here too and it is easy enough to walk over to Canal.

A2
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The ambience of the hotel and its surroundings made our visit to New Orleans very special. The hotel, like New Orleans itself, is a place apart from the ordinary: staying here was a delight from sunup to sundown. And we slept well!

the room smelled like a wet dog had stayed there before we...

the room smelled like a wet dog had stayed there before we checked in room 116 maybe needs new carpet and the ac fixed it could have been mold but other than that we love staying there...

I actually liked it there and would recommend it.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathroom very old and not cleaned very good. Toilet and tub way to low to the floor. Had item missing from our room and the situation was not handled very well by management.

Liked the little sitting area/bar area by the pool. Great location.

Our stay was much better than we could have dreamed possible.

The coffee could have been set out before 7am. I really can't complain about that.

The best Bloody Mary in New Orleans. Everything about our stay was amazing. We didn't want to leave.

We had a great stay and wonderful time!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

As with most hotels the bed was too high for me. They did lend me a stool which helped greatly.

The restaurant was charming, the food great and the staff very nice The location was perfect. We could walk to all sorts of things, and we did.

We'd stay there again!

Bed and pillows weren't as comfortable as we like

An older but lovely boutique hotel with the ambience of New Orleans. Loved the lobby, bar and pool/patio area.

We loved the location and the friendliness of the staff.

We loved the location and the friendliness of the staff. We especially had fun in the bar talking with the staff and people from all over the country.

6.0
    Large rooms and very clean.
    • King Suite

parking difficult due to street layout

Large rooms and very clean. For a family, or persons staying more than one nigh, a microwave in the room would be nice. The only problem was the sink and bath drains in 218 were very slow.

Well done!

Mouldy smell in lobby.

With the exception of a moldy smell upon entering the Hotel; we found the staff and facilities to be excellent and very friendly. Service was top notch but I would like to recommend the breakfast tables have a coffee thermos on them so assist the busy staff for pouring so many small cups of Coffee. Coffee is excellent. I like the pool, the bar, the restaurant and staff. Very friendly, informal and accommodating. We were there for the French quarter Festival as a friend of MR. Bona; and have recommended your place to many people.

I loved the bar and cafe.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The elevator was small and slow.

I loved the bar and cafe. I also loved the beauty of the entrance and pool. The hotel had history and character that were admirable. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would definitely like to visit again in the future.

Historic hotel on a great quiet street but near all the NOLA action.

The hotel is in an historic building and was in a great quiet location but near restaurants and rail system. Unfortunately there was no hot water our first day but the hotel compensated us for the inconvenience. The breakfast was very good and the bar had a very inexpensive happy hour each day. A good spot to unwind and enjoy a drink by the pool.

Charming place to stay close to the French Quarter with staff to match.

Men’s restroom in bar area did not lock and resulted in a couple of awkward moments.

Staff went out of their way to make our stay convenient and pleasant. Clean rooms with heavenly bed and pillows. Balcony a big plus as was the charm and ambience of the hotel.

The character of the place, really feels like you’re in New...
    • Queen Room

The price for the week because of the event happening nearby was too much. It looks a little dated, good do with some scrub up areas to freshen the place up.

The character of the place, really feels like you’re in New Orleans. Also only 10 minutes walk away from Bourbon meaning you’re not far from all the action but just far enough to get a good sleep.

Sitting in the hotel bar was the most enjoyable and restfull part of my stay in NO.

This hotel has the flavour, and the service is the type of friendly service I would expect from people in the South. Had breakfast a couple of mornings and we had a couple of drinks in the bar. Food was delicious and I felt like the people who served both were friends.

An inexpensive stay in the quarter, but probably a one time event.

The bed was very firm, and while there was a padded mattress topper, that could not disguise the fact that it was not a great mattress. The bathrooms are not updated, 50's or 60's tile and sink, and the toilet handle stuck. Worst of all, the hot water system broke the night of our first stay and was still out of order when we checked out. I was drinking coffee, which was very good, in the lobby and reading the paper when I heard a couple checking out. They asked what they had paid for parking, and were told $15 a night. I was quoted $30 a night. The parking was good, gated and secure, but a sliding scale price? As it was, they did not charge parking because of the lack of hot water

The price brought me in, half the price of other motels in the quarter, and well rated. It is a quiet hotel on the edge of the quarter away from all the noise and drunks, and clean and well furnished, just old and not elegant. I did not try the food. The pool area is nice and I liked the salt water pool. I felt safe and secure.

This was a cute, affordable hotel in a great location. We’d come again. (But hang up your phone 😯)
    • Queen Room

For some reason, security came to our door in the middle of the night, banging on our door telling us our phone was off the hook. Woke us up and scared the hell out of us. (Phone was off the hook....we didn’t notice, but really?)

Nice size bathroom, cute/quaint looking lobby and exterior, lots of windows.

I would stay there again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Things like plumbing in the bathroom could be improved, but that was a minor issue.

Location was fantastic. We were comfortable and the location was quiet.

Best hotel we tried in the US so far!
    • Queen Room

The continental breakfast was a bit disappointing but there’s plenty of other choices.

Staff was amazingly nice and understanding. Location was perfect. Hotel itself is very charming. Check out time is very convenient.

Older hotel, could probably be freshened up. But GREAT location

Minimal cleaning. There wasn't much evidence that our room was vacuumed more than once during our stay. Unsure the bathroom was thoroughly cleaned each day. Stains, scuff marks on walls of our room. The grout between the tiles need bleach. The towels are bordering on threadbare. The Wi-Fi, while "free", should be secured with password

Ideal location in the French Quarter. Surprisingly quiet!

Overall a good choice and much more interesting than the "chain" hotels.

Room decor is rather tired - our bathroom was tatty and really needs upgrading,

Characterful hotel in a great location - easy to get to a huge variety of restaurants and live music venues.

Le Richelieu is a perfect place to use as a base for exploring the French Quarter.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathrooms need to be updated.

Great location in French Quarter (easy to walk to places, but far enough away to be quiet). Courtyard is a great place to relax and read a book.

Our family had a great stay!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds were comfortable. We loved the balcony and ambience of being in the French Quarter, but the hotel was remarkably quiet. The staff was very welcoming and warm. We also loved teaching the kids how to pronounce Le Richelieu. :)

Ok place but wouldn't return.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms were old and outdated. Room slanted and I kept rolling to one side of the bed because of it . Near a night club so it was loud during the weekend. There were a lot of seedy individuals around the area, kind of scary at night.

The parking felt secure.

GREAT location and a great experience overall!

Internet service was really weak. I was not able to connect with any reliability. Not that big of a deal as I was on vacation. Had I needed it for business it would have made things a little more difficult. They may have just been having temporary difficulties while we were there.

The location was absolutely perfect. The staff was friendly and accommodating. This is an older property, but well-maintained with a wonderful historic feel. Close enough to everything interesting, but "off the path" enough to be quiet and safe. My mother became ill the day we were supposed to check out and the front desk helped extend our stay (even though they had a full house). We felt like they actually cared about us. This hotel exceeded our expectations and I will return with friends as soon as another vacation permits!

Overall the stay was good. Molly, at the front desk was excellent. Made you welcomed.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds were hard and felt like you were sleeping on a board. Toilet too short - too close to the floor. $30.00 a day for parking is a little too high. If you are staying in the hotel, it should be free.

I liked that it was close to the restaurants.

Lovely in most respects but beware of the plumbing

We knew from our previous visit that the bathrooms were very outdated, and that didn't bother us. The very poor drainage from the bath tub did, as it filled up with inches of standing water when we showered. It really is time for a plumbing overhaul.

The location is excellent, the staff very friendly and helpful, and the public areas attractive. Although we didn't use it, car parking is a bonus. Our room was large and comfortable, with good storage and access to the shared balcony on the second floor. The bar, cafe and courtyard with small swimming pool are all very pleasant.

Overall a nice place!
    • Queen Room

Although we were surprised by a suite, the bed was too far off the ground and the furniture in living room uncomfortable . We did not ask for a suite that met ADA requirements however the toilet was the lowest ever!

Location, friendly staff and ambience

Great stay at a quaint and rustic old hotel that has kept up its charm, history, and ambiance.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The Bar has insufficient/inadequate lighting. Could not even read the paper during Happy Hour from 3-6 pm. Need to install some overhead lighting

Food was good. Staff was great and very helpful. Room was well appointed and adequate. The room's window opened to the street. Short walk to the pubs and restaurants on Bourbon Street. Very quaint location.....

A perfect setting and location to get you in the NOLA mood!

The room was comfortable, except it became a little warm in the bedroom. Our fan was missing the string to turn the blades faster and the air conditioner in the room was barely blowing any air. To be fair we didn’t tell the front desk for them to help us.

Loved the Old World charm of our room and the hotel! We were upgraded to a huge room on the 4th floor that was like an apartment with a living room, dining room and kitchen...it was amazing!

Pleasant
    • Queen Room

Healthier pours on the liquids at the bar. Maybe a few more things on the food menu.

Location, charm, history, and most persons were very friendly. Maybe some kind of upgrade even though this is an historical location. 4 me, the bed needed to B a little more comfortable, also your pillows could use an upgrade. We were at your location some 40 years ago, things have changed some. Will keep U in mind should we try your location again.

French Quarter Charm

It was not handicap accessible. Had to climb two or three steps into building and down three inside.

The bathroom needed updating. It was avacado tile on the vanity, sink, and tub.

Nicely maintained old place

Nicely maintained old place On the far end of Quarter and a block from an encampment of Young street people; seemed to be disbursed by dark but a little ominous for my wife’s taste.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Lumpy beds and the pillows were terrible. Everything was dated. Reserved for 3 nights, left after 2 and they refused to refund any $ for the third night. For $200 per night, we expected better.

Great place in New Orleans
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel was really nice, very historic looking. It was close to everything we wanted to see, so we didn't need our car all weekend. The staff was super friendly and helpful.

Super cool funky old hotel with lots of history.

The blue bathroom was a little much and the bed was pretty hard but we would stay there again despite this.

Super cool funky old hotel with lots of history. Really fit the charm of the French Quarter. The location was great the staff was friendly and the price was good! It has a pool right outside the bar and cafe. Cabs are readily available. It’s a short walk to Bourbon street, Dutchman st, Jackson square and the French market. What more could you want?!?!?

Memorable 4 days with my adult daughter at Mardi Gras staying at an old FrenhQuarter Hotel💕
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was nothing I didn’t like.

This was a great location for Mardi Gras. Quiet off street but only 2 blocks from Bourbon Street. Hotel had a great bar plus a very nice cafe with seating on aglassed in porch. Breakfast yummy. Receptionists well knowledgeable of city & gave very good advice on how togetaround it ..t

This unexpected gem was perfect for a last-minute getaway to the French Quarter.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Elevators didn't match the gorgeous architecture or decor of the rest of the hotel.

Unique architecture, amazing courtyard and location, and windows that actually opened!

Iced In, But Loved It

No complaints. We would stay there again. A very safe, convenient, cozy and authentic New Orleans place with some history to it. If you want new, glitzy , modern and free waffles for breakfast, though, you may not be as satisfied as we were.

The location was great. We were there to meet and entertained some friends from France who were visiting the USA for the first time. The hotel was perfect... an easy walk to the street cars, Jackson Square, Cafe DuMonde the restaurants, and other famous sites. Loved the gated parking in back of the hotel. The second night we were there an Artic storm took over New Orleans. We were iced in an extra day when all the freeways, bridges and transportation out of the city were closed, as were most of the restaurants near the hotel (which only serves breakfast). To our delight the manager went the extra step and ordered in a big platter of chicken to share in the cozy bar. Several of the staff also had anticipated the storm the night before, and slept at the hotel to take care of guest needs after the storm. They were very helpful the entire time.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Train is loud. Fighter planes sound like they’re about to fly in the room. Carpet super dirty. Staff so rude. Too expensive for what we experienced. $30 parking per day.

Location. Parking.

Short but sweet and comfortable!

Bathroom is outdated I wanted to take a bath so bad and I couldn't bring myself to do it! Though it was clean but it wasn't like the Hilton very vintage.

The bed was comfy. Overall I loved the hotel decor. I loved the patio view!

Having never been to the area before and did not know what...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Having never been to the area before and did not know what to except. Staff acted like the parking was free. It was not until we checked out that they told us it was 30 dollars a night. We would have parked else where if we had known that! Will NOT return!!

Great location (quiet spot of Quarter near both French...
    • Queen Room

Great location (quiet spot of Quarter near both French Market/Jackson Sq and Frenchmen Street and friendly staff in locally owned establishment. Perfect spot for folks looking for something a little funky vs fancy chain hotel with brand new amenities.

I would stay here again.

If you like modern and new this is not the place. But if you really want to experience the location it is. It would have been nice to have room coffee. We were up a little earlier than when the coffee was out. Of course this is really early as coffee goes out in lobby a 7am

The staff was great. Everyone was gracious and helpful. The room was always made up quickly. You can't beat the location. Very close to lots of places to eat. Really liked staying here as opposed to a big chain. Although it was right before Mardi Gras it was quiet

NOLA
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

One communal balcony, so you could not leave your windows open all night.

It was very nice and fairly large for being in that part of the French Quarter. Tons of Restaurants within walking distance and Bourbon Street is only 6 blocks away. And the on site restaurant was decently priced with vary good food.

Wonderful hotel with a prime location!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds were slightly uncomfortable, but definitely not enough to deter us from staying there again!

We loved it. Location was prime, just far enough from the hustle and bustle but just a short walk to everything. Amazing, friendly staff. We can’t wait to come back!

Close to everything:)
    • Queen Room

Nothing really, it is an older style hotel, but it has all the basics.

Excellent location to Bourbon and Frenchman Streets. Within walking distance to the city and markets. Good restaurants very close by.

Loved New Orleans. Hotel not cheap for solo traveller. Dire internet in room spoiled my stay.

Poor internet connection in room, although worked well in public areas. Reported to staff and was offered a $10 refund as good will gesture. But for a 2day stay after being offline on a cruise vacation, this was not ideal.

Excellent location with easy walking in and around French Quarter.

Browse Le Richelieu in the French Quarter traveller photo gallery