Reviews of Lombardy Hotel 4 stars

111 East 56th Street, Midtown East, New York, NY 10022, USA

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Too noisy. We hear the conversation of the guards of the hotel, the conversation of people on the street, the works at the building infront the hotel. It was´nt a pleasant stay. We hear noise very early in the morning and very late at night. I want to change to another room and no room was available. The Lombardy hotel must not offer that room. I stay for 6 days in the king suite, spend a lot of money with my son, and did´nt sleep well. Not worthy!!!

• King Studio

They charged my credit card an additional $100 over my bill. I saw this on my cc account while checking it for another charge. After I called them they said “oh we charge a security deposit which you will get back after we check the room. It usually takes a couple of days”. I have traveled for years and have NEVER seen that kind of charge before. Here or abroad. Not a great way to treat guests. And they don’t tell you this at checkout although I’m sure the 2 page registration has something about that, but who reads that when checking in. They should literally tell you that on checking out. Not good and I won’t be back if that is their policy. Guilty until we verify that you didn’t trash our room. Wow

• King Studio

There were flying/jumping insects which I believe were fleas in the bathroom. I complained and they changed my room. For price over $320 per night, that shouldn’t happen! Also, no ramp for luggage in entry to lobby

The location was great

• King Studio

When you closed your hotel door it banged VERY loudly. Even if you tried to be quiet, you would disturb your fellow travelers. This would be my only complaint.

The room is SPACIOUS! It is more than enough for two people. The bathroom is small, but the entire hotel room is like a small apartment. There is a kitchenette, a very large closet, and a hallway leading to the door. There is no street noise to be heard. There was no coffee in the room, so I was not able to provide a comment about that. This was a disappointment, but I sent my husband down to get the coffee from the breakfast room downstairs. The breakfast selection was plentiful.

• King Studio

Only negative and not much of a grumble, we are smokers and found this hotel on a site recommending this as a smoking hotel,we did not find this the case as we requested a smoking room,but there is no smoking in the hotel, great for non smokers,but just a heads up in case you do

Easy check in and out, large quiet room at the back, very clean, breakfast was really nice,great location, evening doorman very friendly and helpful,great place to stay.

That breakfast was included for only 2 people in the room whereby we had a suite that slept 4

Rooms were spacious and very comfortable with lots of cupboard space.

• King Studio

Location was great. Easy walk to Rockefeller Plaza, shopping, Central Park..... I wanted a room with a tub (neglected to put that in my request when I booked) and the bellman made the effort to allow me to see an other room and decide if I wanted to switch. Making the extra effort made my stay more enjoyable.

• King Studio

No tea or coffee in the room. Breakfast basic. Service worst ever. Ran out of bread. Coffee undrinkable. Concierge couldn’t care less.

Excellent location. Large room.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

The hotel offers complimentary breakfast, which is nice, but the food was not very nice. Often foods were missing from the buffet, or things were cold and not very appetizing. There was no toaster on our first morning, which was strange.

Enjoyed our stay, the rooms were really lovely and the location is fabulous.

• Standard King Room

The best aspect of the hotel was its central location, so we were easily able to go uptown and downtown via walking or cabs. My wife was especially elated because all her favorite stores (Bergdorf Goodman, Chanel, et al) were walking distance. Central Park was also walking distance so we were extremely pleased overall.

• Standard King Room

Staff can smile a bit more :)

I got a room upgrade since it was my birthday, it was very nice. Spacious living room, separate kitchen and separate bedroom, plenty of space for 2 people or even more. Room service was also nice, location just perfect and breakfast ok for the US, which is typically not a good as in European hotels. Staff on the front desk were a bit moody but they ultimately did what I asked them to do so its fine. I can recommend this hotel!

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Very disappointed in the breakfast selection and that we were only given 2 complementary breakfasts for a family of 5.

Location was excellent. Room size was fantastic.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Front desk Staff could have been friendlier. Check in experienced was quick but confusing. An avoidable error (double booking) should have been identified.

Breakfast room. Location was superb. Bell staff were very helpful

• King Studio

It would be good to have had some tea bags, coffee sachets, creamer and sugar to make a tea or coffee. The breakast available in the morning was boring and could have been more inspired.

The rooms was fabulous, very spacious, comfortable and excellent value.

• Standard King Room

Blinds must be drawn always or you look into other apartments

(Location fantastic , room clean and perfectly fine. Not any view and you have to keep blinds drawn. Even so I am usually there at night. Staff lovely doorman helpful. Breakfast was fine , yogurt parfait good.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

The people at the front desk are not very friendly - I actually felt one of them was rude. One of the elevators scared us - it went up to our floor, stopped, and came back down to the Lobby, and the door stayed closed! It finally opened a couple of minutes later. Also, we had booked a suite and paid for 5 people in a room that said breakfast was included. However. we found out that breakfast was included for only 2 people! I found this very disappointing. The view from the room was the back of a building.

The suite we booked, though pricey, was enormous. It even had a separate kitchen with a two-burner stove, microwave, coffee maker, and fridge - I did not expect this. There was a dining table for 4 people, and a separate bedroom with 2 queen beds with room to spare. The bathroom was well appointed, completely marble and mirrored. The location is excellent, near Lexington Avenue, and close to Central Park.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

We were on the low floor, the windows are old and we had s strong exhaust smell in the room.

Very good position, especially if you plan to visit MoMA o central park. Nice spacious room, comfortable for a family. Breakfast was good.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Th breakfast buffet was the same every morning. It would have been nice if there were more or different options.

The unit we had was very spacious considering how small rooms are in NY. The location was close to the subway so we were able to get around to all parts of the city.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

The Lombardy hotel had everything we needed and then some. The room was spacious and clean. In addition we enjoyed both the ambiance and the location of this hotel. Traveled with a group of 7, 3 adults and 4 teenage girls. And everyone loved this hotel. Would go back to this hotel in a New York minute.

To whom it may concern: We are ambivalent about our stay at the Lombardy Hotel. We were highly satisfied with the smaller Apartment 1215. However, we were disappointed with Apartment 1009. Although the apartment was very nice, it was much smaller than what we expected. We had booked an apartment that was supposed to be 84 square meters ( approximately 900 sq ft). We had previously stayed in an apartment of that size at the Lombardy Hotel in March 2017. We were annoyed and frustrated, when upon complaining to the front desk, the woman denied that the apartment was smaller than what we were promised. The picture at the door (see photo) shows that, due to the neighboring elevator and stairs, this apartment was significantly smaller that the other ones. Instead of the 84 square meters, it is about 60 square meters (approximately 650 sq ft). After complaining again, we were offered alternatives the next day. However, these were not acceptable. We decided to stay in 1009. However, we made it clear that we were expecting a discount, which they did not give us. We were very disappointed about this. Given the discrepancy between the actual size of the apartment versus what was promised when booking, a concession from the side of the hotel would have been appropriate if they cared about customer satisfaction. Concerning cleanliness, service, and breakfast at the Lombardy Hotel, our comments are 100% positive. The identical review will be sent via email to Lombardy and booking.com. Sincerely, Waldemar Schäfer

• King Studio

The temperature in the room: cold during night and difficult to regulate with the heater

Big room, small kitchen and a fridge which is very nice. Room was very clean and service good

• King Studio

The hotel is in need of renovation overall. The restaurant is particularly bad in terms of food and decoration. The keys don’t work most if the tilme and they keep forgetting to put back mineral water in the room.

The hotel staff is nice , good location and clean.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

There was a building in construction in front the hotel. So, they started early with very noisy

The staff was wonderful, great peaple, especially Jimmy

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Level of noise because of construction across the street

Space of the rooms, kindness of the personnel especially concierge and cleaning ladies and some but not all athe front desk. Heating is a little noisy and difficult to regulate. Superb location and great value for miney

• King Studio

Confusion at check-in. We had to relocate to another room after 3 hours which was an inconvenience after 22 hours of travel.

Location is great. Easy access to subway, Central Park and 5th Avenue. Staff are friendly and accommodative and the hotel do their best to ensure the little things are taken care of such as laundry, transfers, city advice, etc. Great Aussie cafe around the corner ‘Little Collins St’ for fantastic coffee. The room had 2 bathrooms, bedroom and separate lounge area.

• Standard King Room

Noisy during daylight construction hours, due to construction across the street. But it did not impact my use of the room or enjoyment of the hotel.

It was exactly as great a place to stay as I expected. Wonderful location, nice staff, great hot buffet breakfast, beautiful modern room with kitchenette. There is a new building being built across the street and so it was noisy with construction equipment during working hours, but that did not impact my enjoyment of the room in the morning, evening or the weekend. I would stay there again no question--I stayed for 9 days this time.

• King Studio

Amazing location, and staff couldn’t have been nicer especially the concierge team. Beautiful large rooms and really nicely decorated. Would definitely stay again.

• Standard King Room

As vegetarians, we found the breakfast choice (at the adjacent 'American Cut' restaurant) more limited than we would have appreciated. so it was scrambled eggs and grits every day!

Great location and unobtrusive, high quality service. Very generous and well-furnished suite.

• King Studio

I was out the back facing another block, but there was an incessant humming from outside. Must’ve NY rather than the hotel.

The stay was pleasant and the staff welcoming, helpful and friendly

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Door-man was wonderful. Woman at front desk for check-in was great. Man at front desk for checkout was not so pleasant.

Room was spacious and well appointed

Fitness center was unremarkable

Very cheerful decor, spacious and well-appointed rooms. Excellent closet space and storage for clothes. An intimate hotel. Excellent wi-fi. Great value.

• Standard King Room

Breakfast had no cheese options and no bagels! Who doesn’t serve bagels in NY?! Also they want you to pay for the newspapers.

Huge room and bathroom and fantastic location

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Parking. Charged for a full day for an hour and 6 minutes. And took keys out of the car. That were someone else’s keys. So needless to say. They are sending them back to us.

Very clean very comfortable.

• Standard King Room

As the room was like a studio apartment, it was a shame there wasn't a laundry. A room of this size is perfect for long stays. Location not bad.

The room was really a studio and was amazing in size and was very comfortable, it was like coming home.

• Standard King Room

Sadly we never found the gym they spoke of nor the spa??

A lovely boutique hotel. Well positioned The rooms are absolutely gorgeous with mini kitchenette & beautiful glassware

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Overall, we had a good experience. However, the bulb in the shower was out and the shower door leaked so that we had to put a towel on the floor to keep the bathroom floor dry. One of the shades in the living room couldn't be closed.

The room was extremely spacious and comfortably furnished. The breakfast was far better than we expected.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Construction across the street but that's not the hotel's fault.

Super spacious for a NYC hotel. Felt like an apartment. Great kitchen and bathroom, especially the shower. Living room and bedroom did not feel cramped at all like in other NYC hotels.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Sheets could be softer and pillows were too “big” - requested and received softer ones.

Felt at home - lots of space for 3 adults(our adult child was with us.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Wish I could have stayed longer!

Not only are the rooms huge, delightful and beautifully decorated; the staff are the most efficient, pleasant and professional I have encountered in any hotel anywhere.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Staff in dining area was less friendly. Did not meet the standards of the hotel.

Hotel staff was incredibly accommodating, kind and helpful. The breakfast every morning was fantastic. Room was spacious and location was unbelievable.

• King Studio

The room size was awesome, but the decor was lacking.

The staff was amazing!! So friendly and helpful. Loved the location of the hotel and the room was HUGE!

• King Studio

The room I was allocated was very antiquated, tatty, floor lifting, basic furniture and worst of all the heating didn’t work It was so aweful I checked out after the first night and they had the cheek to charge me I would never recommend this hotel due to the fact that the rooms are privately owned and you don’t know what your getting I have travelled the world and many cities but this was the worst room I have ever stayed in, to have no heating when it’s -3 outside is a joke

• One-Bedroom King Suite

They didn’t tell us at check in about our included breakfast, didn’t know till the night before we checked out. The construction was constant. All day and all night. Awful. A little map (nothing special) for grocery’s would have been nice as the units had kitchens.

• Standard King Room

Renee at the front desk was aloof and did not make us feel welcome. There was no coffee in the hotel except next door at the steakhouse where breakfast was served.

We started in a terrible room....and stayed one night. Ready to check out and find another hotel. There wasn't anything right with the first room. Very small, no bedside table, sink wouldn't drain, bed cover had some suspicious white stains, small window with view of air handlers on adjacent building roof, and the closet had a space 6" wide to maneuver through to hang up clothes. So what we liked....we were moved to a better room! The location was convenient and wifi was included. We paid $400 plus/night.

• Standard King Room

HARD uncomfortable bed with those fake pillows that give one a sore neck in the morning. Wifi that DID NOT WORK. Staff did not seem bothered. Mirrors on the ceiling - of the BATHROOM!

Location is good.

• Standard King Room

Only thing missing was Kleenex and I'm sure if called we would have received them. Great staff

Perfect Location - walked to radio city, Rockefeller center and Central Park and subways nearby

What’s not to like? ? ?

Bellman. Free upgrade! Delicious, abundant, breakfast included, very spacious clean accommodations, comfortable bed, very fast room service, beautiful lobby,fast elevators. Although my stay at other hotels in Manhattan have been very nice the Lombardy is by far my most favorite. Thank you for a very enjoyable stay!!

• King Studio

The continental breakfast was a little underwhelming and the coffee had a lot to be desired.

It's a very nice hotel to stay in and in a great neighbourhood

• King Studio

The rooms booked through booking.com are the worst room available at the hotel. They always give you low floors, no views, or views on A/C compressors, etc....this is a trend and a sad one. Paid $500 for a king studio room on the second floor with the A/C unit noise so strong no one could possibly sleep. It's unacceptable that booking.com customers are treated this way, when the hotel has 16+ floors, with surely king studio room on all the floors.

Breakfast Noise of the air condition Key's room card Lack of espresso machine

We liked the size of the bed ,the size of the room,the shower,the speed of the elevators.After 18 nights we got free night.

• King Studio

There wasn't any thing we did not like.

Value for our accommodations, clean, friendly, responsive to concerns and great location to all wht we wanted to do. Staff _ Abeer, Jim, and Renee were most helpful.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Decor needs updating. Old and dated. Not enough pillows and no bedding except sheets. Improve bedding, pillows, and decor.

Huge suite with two Queen beds. Fast elevators.

• King Studio

We had studio on upper floor for a longer stay. Although kitchenette was equipped it would have been nicer with coffee filters, a starter tea, coffee set. However, that being said the breakfast provided downstairs was excellent.

We especially liked the staff and their willingness to assist on a difficult and extremely busy, high traffic week...UN General Assembly meeting. This area of town was not the easiest to get around and staff found cabs and limo services for us easily. I liked the smaller size, more personal feel of hotel. Excellent breakfast

• King Studio

Well I stayed on the backside of the hotel and it was very quit. Then I moved to the front side. Unfortunately, there is a very large construction project across the street.They start promptly at 7am. The breakfast very repetitive. Same everyday. Very little verity.

The rooms are older style hotel rooms. They are very large and spacious. Unlike so many other high price hotels in Manhattan.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Need a little more non-carb options. Bread,French pastries etc. Would have liked peanut butter, not just jam and butter. When small yogurt and fruit ran out they said every day- we ran out. I think they just used their quota or didn't want to make more. Too bad, this happened every day out of three when we came down at 9:30 am.

Staff were great. Cleaning room crew were super. Hotel was quiet so I slept well beds comfy. Very Large rooms. Perfect size kitchen. Hudge shower. Free WIFI was super. One one rainy day staff were handing out curtosy umbrellas like crazy. Check on check out was a breeze. So often there are errors on hotel bill, this one was perfect. We also got a free upgrade. Unbelievable space. Doorman, elevator needed card code so as women felt very safe. Buffet breakfast included is an extra added value.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Nothing to do with hotel. But other guests were a little stuck up... not so friendly elevator convos

The staff was amazing! Very friendly and ready to help!

• King Studio

The breakfast buffet was the only negative. There were not a lot of choices and the choices were the same each day. More than once, we sat down at a table and the used napkins had not yet been cleared by the staff. Sometimes they asked if you wanted water, sometimes they didn't.

The room was great, very clean and we had a bit larger room with a small kitchen which was very helpful. The hotel was quiet, the staff extremely friendly and accommodating. The hotel is in a fabulous location.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Junior Suite room was very dark - it would have been very useful to have had sonar it was so dark. No main lights in the room just a lot of lamps which just didn't light the place up properly. Very old world feel in terms of dark woods, etc. which when allied to lack of decent light just didn't help. For some people this style would be perfect but I wanted something more modern and bright, and so I would advise people to take that on board when booking here. It certainly did not come across this way in the room pics when I reviewed these on the Booking site when making the booking.

Great location Lifts/Elevators are really quick Breakfast was good

• King Studio

If you sat on the bottom edge of the bed it flipped up; my wife and I both got bites, sleeping on the bed; toilet was noisy when flushed. This was our wedding anniversary and the room experience should have been better.

General cleanliness of the hotel, good location.

• King Studio

Breakfast food was high quality, but repetitive if your stay is of any duration. We ate breakfast 5 out of 6 mornings and that is a lot to have the same food.

We're upgraded to a suite with much room and many amenities.

• King Studio

The doormen were a lazy lot Unless you looked like money Breakfast was the same every day so most days we did not go The coffee shop connected to the hotel was perfect

Gordon on the front desk was so helpful as we were there for 10 days and needed lots of directions to places

• King Studio

We booked a king deluxe room. Bed was queen size. Pillows too soft. Breakfast was the same every morning and there was no tea or coffee supplied for the room. Building construction across the road was noisey.

Very comfy bed. Friendly staff. Great spot.

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Breakfast finished a bit too early. Several guests were coming down towards the end of the breakfast when several items were running out.

Our room, the one bedroom suite, was very spacious and the beds were comfortable. Housekeeping staff responded very quickly to our requests. Easy to get to from JFK with the subway to Lexington Ave and a short walk.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Complimentary tea and coffee would have been nice

The space was awesome. Location was perfect, could walk to anywhere. The rooms were spotless and very very well appointed. Would GLADLY return

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Nothing major to complain about but it was noisy from the outside (we were on 4th floor), I suppose this is about NY rather than the hotel

Large rooms with kitchens and sitting rooms. Friendly staff, and good temperature control.

• Standard King Room

The breakfast is just OK. It lacks more variety and fruit, but it was included in our package.

The people at the front desk were extremely helpful: they showed us three different rooms and we chose the one we liked best. The cleaning ladies are nice and supply you with abundant towels. The rooms are clean and get serviced twice a day. The location is central.

Old(ish)

Oldish, but more space than most Manhattan hotels. Great location and unexpectedly quiet. Unexpectedly high quality free breakfast. Friendly, unpretentious staff.

• Standard King Room

Service was slow just to get water for breakfast. There was construction outside my room which may explain the great rate I got but I can't recall if that was informed when booking my room.

Spacious rooms, fridge/microwave and even utensils and bowls are provided. Clean and beautiful

• King Studio

Breakfast - not great (Got to add I'm allergic to pork so couldn't eat the bacon or sausage) Was left with toast and jam :( There was a coffee machine - like it said on the site - but nothing to make the coffee with No water - would've been a nice touch to get a water in the evenings next to the bed

The first room they gave me was on the ground floor and very dark and depressing so I asked if there was another room available. (Thought I'd check since I was staying for a week) I ended up in a room on the 6th floor and was very happy with the room. Breakfast - I'm allergic to pork - so could only eat toast with jam. I'd suggest getting bagels & cream cheese - or at least cheese to eat with the toast. Location is amazing - will definitely be back.

• Standard King Room

I didnt get the room that was shown in the picture at the time of booking. There was no tea or coffee makereven though it stated there was. There was scaffolding in front of my window so it was constantly dark in my room. This wasnt detailed in the description. Breakfast is very cheap quality, no variety and on 2 mornings they ran out of breakfast and we had to leave empty handed. The staff do their job but dont expect super friendly service.

The location is fantastic. The room was very big and clean

• Standard King Room

Breakfast - it was the same thing everyday & no room service. There was no tea or coffee but the coffee maker was there with no instructions on how to use it & the fridge was empty.

The hotel location is great as I liked the peace & quiet. The hotel housekeeping is fantastic as the room was clean & nice everyday. A nice place to relax after sightseeing all day. Loved it.

Despite being told when we booked months in advance that our special request for a second bathroom in our would be accommodated - it wasn't

The staff were very friendly and happy to answer question

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

not a 4* Lobby is underground A/C was terribly noisy and couldn't regulate it. Switch on/off directly from electric box. Room really "old" but with the necessary to stay, no more. Not hotel's fault but should be mentioned that building is in renovation -> windows couldn't open + noise + dust Overall "smell" was not exacly what we would expect from a 4*

Location Size of room (5 peoples 2+3)

• King Studio

Rooms were a bit dated, but pleasant. Air con units worked but were noisy. It didn't bother us, but it could bother other guests. The breakfast was included in our room rate, but we didn't eat there as the coffee wasn't great and the food ran out before the end time - 9:45am and didn't look that appetizing. We chose to go to a nearby diner called the Palace that a staff person recommended around the corner on 57th that was excellent.

The rooms are large. The staff is friendly and there was full kitchen in our unit. They upgraded us upon arrival at no extra cost; there was a sofa bed in the living room. We would stay there again.

• King Studio

Staff behind front desk very abrupt with little eye contact except Anna who was kind and helpful. Others very friendly, doormen and housekeeping. No view at all but room lovely and location central.

Large comfy room with beautiful marble and mirrored entry. Quick service when needed. Excellent breakfast. Close to park area.

Browse Lombardy Hotel traveller photo gallery