Reviews of Monterey Surf Inn 2 stars

1200 Munras Avenue, Monterey, CA 93940, USA

#51 of 67 hotels in Monterey

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The recent remodel looks haphazard. The king size bed had a full size blanket. There was no drain plug for the bath and when I asked they said they don’t provide one. There are other similarly priced models along the same street that I assume are in better shape.

Easy to find, close to a shopping center, not too far from cannery row and the aquarium.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Mattress horrid. Worn down on both sides, with ridge in middle. The pillows too full and high. I had to go buy a pillow at Ross, to get any rest. No beside lamp, just over head ceiling flood light that was so bright, you didn't want it on. Miserable n8ght. Noisy sex from next door eaily overheard. Bedside phone barely worked, as I called front office twice before clerk could hear me. Inadequate parking. Female who checked me, in cold as a fish and seemed annoyed when I asked for room in different location than what she chose. They've got to buy new mattresses, pillows and bedside lamps!!! Plus they need to get phones working.

Room fairly clean. No bad smells. Centrally located in Monterey, near mall, food. Man at front desk nice. Allowed a late checkout, after I was up all nite without sleep.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Could use a wheelie chair for desk area.

Cottage style, wood floors, comfortable mattress, fridge & TV bonus, good table & chairs, decent desk area.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

What’s there not to like?

This hotel is always so clean! Well kept! We’ve stayed here about 5 times and will continue to. Safe area great location clean room

• Non-Smoking - King Room

My son sent me pictures of his room when he got there. I travel a lot for work and have taken my son with me. He knows what a nice hotel looks like. I did not go with a "brand" hotel because they were about a hundred more a night. In retrospect, I think I would have gone with the more expensive hotel. The pictures he sent me showed the dirt on walls and on the dresser. The picture of the hotel made it look inviting and had a fairly decent rating, but we think he came home with a roach in his luggage. He had his luggage open on the floor at the hotel. When he came home, he opened his luggage - on the floor - and within a couple of hours, we saw a roach run across the coach right next to his luggage. He said that part of his room was below ground. Did the staff there give him the worst room in the place because he was a young person? Did they take advantage of him? If I was the person who checked in, I would have told them the room was not acceptable. Your company touts how you find these wonderful places for people wanting to get away. This does not resonate that message. I do not trust using your site any longer. It's really a shame. I felt so bad for my son staying in that place.

I booked this hotel for my son and his friend to attend a 3 day music festival in the area. I chose this location because it was in close proximity to the event. The price was pretty high for not being a 3 or 4 star location, but knowing it was over a holiday weekend and the festival was in town, I figured it was the going rate.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

It was to say it nicely old. If I would do anything I'd update it that is all.

The location was perfect we had the aquarium and 17 mile drive all about a 10 minute drive. Also close by was a shopping center of sorts.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Coffee was not very good

Very clean rooms , nice toiletries, nice maids, comfortable beds, nice flatscreen tv, nice pool and landscaping. a very pleasant stay

• Non-Smoking - King Room

No coffee maker in the room. Coffee available in the office area but when I went it wasn't made.

Centrally located, minutes from the Aquarium and the wharf. There was a microwave & small fridge in the room.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Bathroom was not completely clean. Shower curtan had holes in it, as well as the towel. Iron was burned. Inside fridge was a part broken/ plus fridge was not very cold. Didn’t like the ligting inside. Bed shit were super uncomfortable because they were over use/over washed it was rough on the skin.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The bed was worn, dippy. The toilel ran every 2 minutes and we told just to shut it off, what a hassle and very annoying. I actually want some compensation.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Everything was great for a budget hotel. The only real problem I had was that the scent in the room was way too strong. It was either from cleaning supplies or laundry detergent. But it was really pungent and I'm sensitive to scents. I had to air out the room for a while and even after that it would come back when it was closed for a while.

Very clean. Very comfortable bed. The fridge was great too.

• Non-Smoking Two Queen Room

Room was tiny and too hot, even though it was not hot outside, we had to have the air conditioning on all night. No coffee makers in room and lobby was locked in morning so unable to access the machine there. Tacky plastic flowers in hanging baskets. Not very friendly or helpful staff.

• Non-Smoking Two Queen Room

Though the place is a bit older, there are a few details that could have been taken care of better, like stains on walls, dirty windows in bathroom, dirty tile grout and one baseboard in bathroom was rotted. These kinds of things should be easy to fix.

Cute little room. Very cute exterior. Easy to enter and exit off of street. Linens were extremely well cleaned and newer looking. Bed was very comfortable. Pillows were nice and soft. Room was nice enough size for just sleeping, but not for entertaining any guests. Room seemed to be cleaned of all dust and was pretty well cared for.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Not enough electrical outlets conveniently located for phone, camera charging, etc. Hair dryer didn't work.

Everything at ground level. Parking available close to room. Great location to attractions, beach, restaurants. Nice size room, convenient fridge/micro. Although on busy street, pretty quiet inside room.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Very bare-bones hotel, but that is exactly what I expected given the price. It suited my needs perfectly for a place to crash before an early appointment.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

There was a consistent banging noise coming from the next room (I was in room 27) or from the walls every few minutes all night long - I suspect maybe a water heater? I don't know. It made it difficult to fall asleep. The check in guy was slow, not helpful, and not nice. I called before arriving you ensure my reservation was ready and took several minutes and had to all my name at least 4 times. And then again the same when checking in. I asked for a late checkout because I had to wake up and leave before 7 am for an event and would be done around 11 am. Is preferred to come back at 11 and check out at noon. He refused and said there were absolutely no late check outs.

The room was very clean. The hotel was conveniently located. They had a lot of TV channels.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The already use bottle of shampoo. Disgusting. My sock where dirty didn't sweep or mop. The hotel provided 1wash cloth 2hand towels1 of which was dirty along with the bedding. no shower towel.Had to ask for them. There was some ants in the roomwhen I asked for the supplies needed he had me waiting for a while. I would not return. Nor recommend this Hotel.

The pool but it wasn't open. Setting outside plants

• Non-Smoking - King Room

This is our second time at this property. The staff is very friendly and this second stay was much improved. My only issue this time was the water literally took over 10 minutes to get hot. I timed it. We brought this to the attention of the management and they were kind of looking at us like we were nuts. To me, its a total waste of water. I even had the water in the shower going thinking this might get the water in the sink to warm up faster. It didn't. Rooms are very clean, bed is great, WIFI worked. Hotel was busy so it wasn't as if we were the only ones there. I would stay here again if I was unable to find something else but I'll probably look elsewhere for our next stay.

We had to leave.

Came for a much needed anniversary get away and both my husband and I were please with the staff and the hotel as a whole. We are looking forward to visiting again!

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The heating unit malfunctioned And made a horrible loud noise all night I notified the owner in the morning and told him I hadn’t slept all night because of the noise He just said : “ I’ll check it out” and showed no concern for my discomfort, no apologies at all Additionally, I noticed there was mold on one of the walls I. The bathroom

Close to town

• Non-Smoking - King Room

the air conditioning was super loud and kept us awake at night, no exaggeration here it was really loud. sleepless night no one for us, we had to switch it off completely on the 2nd night, in the winter...

• Non-Smoking - King Room

I was told 2:pm, it was 3 when we got in, in waiting asked to use restroom was told they didn't have one to use! I thought that showed no concideration for us waiting!😡

The room was clean

• Non-Smoking - King Room

I just didn't like it. I hated it. Will never stay there again. A lot of noise at night. We could not sleep.and the story about bed bugs.

I will never stay there again.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Our toilet needed to be flushed upwards:once that was figured, there is really nothing else we wondered/could have complained about.

Clean (we were welcome by a clean smell when entering the room),well-located (delicious Chinese restaurant at walking distance) and inexpensive compared to the other options we explored in Monterey! Staff was very nice at check-in. Parking available.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Frankly, this was a letdown. Old and chemical-smelly rooms. The person who checked us in was rude. Our bedsheets had pubic hair in them, the pillows were stained with yellow and the rooms were poorly cleaned.

Del Monte Shopping is across the way. Chopstix is good next door.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The man at reception is not helpful and we think ripped us off about $15 for our stay. He wouldn't give me a receipt. Don't stay here lot's of other hotels in the same vicinity

The room was ok

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Customer service wasn't great, bathroom was really outdated with cracks in the floor and walls. There was no breakfast or even a pantry to purchase items from.

The bed was large, had a fridge and microwave.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Motel was shabby and needed maintenance. I had booked two rooms and when we arrived we each paid for our own room. They charged both rooms to my credit card and I haven't had any success getting them to correct the issue. I would not stay here again.

Close to Fisherman's Wharf where we were taking a whale watching trip the next day.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

There was no hot water. I stayed for two nights in two different rooms, it was late November - I extended my being in Monterey - with the same result. Shower in this motel wakes anyone up perfectly well - battle tested.

Just a motel, quite common for this part of United States. It is situated near the road (as ever) and the garden, which is not common. It was not too loud there. Rather clean rooms, large bed, standard set of furniture. Acceptable value for money - not much else to say.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

No coffee machine in room. No free breakfast which usually comes with these deals. $10 special service charge that no-one else charges. Everything very cheap on inside of room and the sink is right next to the master bed, so big problem in the am with sleeping child still in bed. The shower worked fine as did the bath, but the shower curtain did not even cover the area so floor got wet. Could not communicate with the attendant well in English. Then at 6:45 am, the office is closed so could not get the coffee!! Later after 7 they opened and coffee was ok. Splenda was there so that was very good. Overall, an ok place, but truly bare bones. No hot tub either.

Bed was comfortable. Very pleasant look to the place on the outside. Very nice wrought iron tables and chairs outside.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The facilities outside of the room were bad. The swimming pool water was green - it looked like the fungi had won that war and fully colonised the pool. Customer service is horrible, if you can finally get someone behind the counter for check in then they’ll be rude, grumpy and generally unhelpful.

Very comfortable beds and the rooms were very clean. Bathroom was a little dated but that’s what you’d expect at a motel. The rooms came with air conditioning and all the extra convienices such as fridge and microwave were in good condition. There were quite a few free parking places so we always managed to find somewhere to park the car however I imagine if it was peak season this may not be the case.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The WiFi did not work. It never allowed you to enter a password to use it. The Direct TV did not include any good channels. Everything listed on the guide was not included in the hotel package.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Location, but there are many hotels on that street I would look for one who cares about there guests and provides what he advertises.

The refrigerator did not work and the sink and faucet was coming out of the sink, The reservation said breakfast was included, there was not breakfast , the person at the front desk wanted me to pay with a credit card. I wanted to pay cash. I was about to leave because he did not want cash. I will not go to that place again. The owners have a bad attitude.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The swimming pool area should be made more private, as its on the road. There should be fence or surround that no one can look through. It is also a 30 min walk (roughly) from the sea.

Rooms were large and clean and the staff were great

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Basic motel with a lovely strip light in the room. Fisherman's Wharf.

Moderate walking distance to three chain restaurants in a mall but there is a good Vietnamese restaurant 100 yards from the motel. Sea otters in the kelp at Cannery Row.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

1. Shower heads and faucet head have probably never been cleaned so water goes everywhere. 2. internet didn't work. 3. walls are paper thin 4. Lighting is terrible 5. A/C needs to be updated, very noisy and comes on with a bang so it wakes you up every time it comes on.

room was clean and a good size.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

No coffee machine in room. Shower curtain too short and water leaked out from sides.

Bed and pillows were very comfortable. Close to shopping, restaurants, ocean.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

They did a bait and switch on the second room I purchased for my employees. I will never use this property or booking.com again. She assured me of the price to change one of the rooms from a king to tow queens would not be different since I added a 2nd room. She decided to raise the rent when I arrived. Despicable.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The toilet, water didn't fill tank. I filled tank from sink. Guess it takes longer to fill than normal?

Value for the price, we just slept the night

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Room not very big, parking in front of room did not happen, bed not that comfy, room smaller than expected. Disappointed for the price!

Nice size fridge

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The room had quite small windows, a strong smell like desinfection liquids and no view (view onto a wooden fence). No breakfast. Overall it was OK for the price but not as lovely as the rest of the places that we have been in California.

The room had plenty of space for the price, was not narrow. When we did not like it we were offered an alternative. This was however not better in our view, so we changed back which again was no problem, so we regarded that as a plus.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The room smelled slightly like cleaning products, but after opening the window the smelled was quickly gone. The air con was loud!

Big comfy bed, clean room, cute outside table in a sunny spot

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Parking. I felt like someone was going to hit our car.

Excellent location, cute flower pots all around, nice little chairs and tables for guests to sit making the most of their space.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Toilet was low and old, should be replaced. Smoking area should be away from the rooms

Very clean. Very soft bed nice sheets, . Toilet seat could be replaced but over all very nice

• Non-Smoking - King Room

No tea/coffee facilities in the room, and a little noisy.

Good location and just a short ride away from Monterey and Carmel - Carmel is especially great! Comfortable and functional accommodation.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Quite a long way from everything (3-4miles to the waterfront) would have been good if they had told us about the free trolley bus that leaves from outside the hotel. Advertised as having a laundry, but this was incorrect.

Comfortable, clean and easy parking.

• Non-Smoking Two Queen Room

Rooms are very clean and updated but a bit small.

Very clean and comfortable with a great location. Mary at front desk went out of her way to help us make a change in our reservation despite being past deadline to do so. Recommend this hotel to anyone looking for economy with good ameneties!

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Don't like the small 'box' like pillows. Didn't have a stopper for the sink. Spray faucet at sink was annoying.

Location. Friendly staff

• Non-Smoking - King Room

I traveled by Amtrak, that meant I was confined to their scheduling. The check in & check out time at the Inn was disastrous for me. My train arrived at a awkward time 2 1/2 hrs before check in. I wasn't able to put my bag anywhere for 2 1/2 hrs. Uber took me to Ross so I could purchase a bag on wheels. So I went sight seeing pulling a bag on wheels. Not the most comfortable way to sight see. I felt the staff could/should have been more accommodating knowing my mod of travel. I inform them the night before how I was traveling.

The rooms & grounds are clean.

• Non-Smoking Two Queen Room

$20 was taken off my card without my agreement, when I noticed it had been taken a few hours after checking in I went to the front desk I was told that is hotel policy when booking is made through a third party. But the person on the front desk couldn't explain why other than its 'policy' Motel is out of town.

Clean room

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Disappointed with Parking - had a Park right outside our room, but as we went out for Dinner - came home and found our Park (outside out room) had been taken. Had to park in driveway outside Reception - not happy!

Quite handy to Fishermans Wharf and places of interest. Nice quiet and clean little Motel and would recommend.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

It is about a mile to the coast and a bit uphill walking back

It is a nice town/city, close to a shopping centre, it has a friendly feel to it and would visit again, the accomodation is good and clean

• Non-Smoking - King Room

A bit noisy, especially when the birds walk on the roof.

The motel is located in a quiet location near the shopping center and near the city center. The room has everything you need and in working order: hair dryer, iron, refrigerator, microwave.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Location..seriously, that is it.

Had water damage on ceiling (including bubbles on ceiling), windows would fall pff track when opening, dirt and grime on walls, lifting/cracked times in bathroom, vanity faucet was not securely attached, and ultra firm (kind of painful) mattress.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The scent of Pine-sol was overpowering so we had to open windows and doors. In addition, it leaves a sticky film on the laminate floor which was unpleasant for bare feet . The landscaping could use some loving attention.

Loved the price.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Bed was good, wide and comfortable, very low noise from other rooms, it is about a mile walk to the centre of town, and 400 yards from a good shopping mall. A Lovely town and I felt safe there, unlike Santa Cruz

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Was overcharged. Did get a refund for the overcharged amount but only when I pushed the staff to explain the breakdown and additional costs and they couldn't

Good location for the wharf and comfy bed

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Non-Smoking - King Room

All of it. I had put down that i was arriving between 11 and 12 and so when I did no was at the front counter and there was a sign saying pick up phone for help. I pick up the phone twice before someone answer the other end and then was told to come back at 2 cause that's when check ins start. So I wasn't happy with that.

Didn't like any of it.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Our stay was good. The rooms are older but clean. Besides, who comes to Monterey to sit in their room all day? From the front desk to the maid service, the staff was friendly and nice. The hotel is across the street from a huge shopping mall......but you'd never know it as it is well hidden behind a bank of trees.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The shower was full of limescale, we didn't find that looking hygienic. And the water smells very strong, like the poolwater.

Very close to shops, lady at the frontdesk was very nice! No breakfast but she offers koffie and tea throughout the whole day.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

n/a

I asked lady at check in if I could have the quite room and my request was granted with no hassle, I really appreciate that. Room was comfortable and clean. Love that this property is one story and no one is walking on top of your head, also it has plenty of free parking next to your room. Very close (5 min walking) to Whole food store where we had amazing breakfast and delicious lunch.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The outside is decorated with gorgeous flowers and when you walk to the street, you can see the ocean! The staff were very helpful and friendly! It's also about a 20 minute walk to the beach so a great location for the low price!

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The bathroom shower surround was black with mold. The laminate on the floor was uneven from to much water. I suggest they replace it with industrial linoleum which looks like wood planks.

confy bed, free wifi and tv. Best rooms are number 1 thru 6 because there was no road noise. I had number 2 and felt very safe.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Non-Smoking Two Queen Room

Size and repair if room. No working air conditioner or tv. Parking was terrible. Room was tiny and uncomfortable. Not coffee pot in room. No breakfast. They added a Miscellaneous $10 charge to room. My last two stays wet next door at the comfort inn by the sea. I will definitely go back there again. This place, NEVER!

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Noisy, tatty room, tile missing in bathroom, paint in pool badly flaking, fence around Poole rotting. Desk chair no material left on arms, they also leave a plunger to unblock your own toilet. totally unmaintained

Not a lot

Nothing. Fabulous little place

Beds very comfy. Excellent budget hotel. Would recommend. 15 walk from wharf, bus station , shops and attractions. Sheets changed x2 weekly, pillow cases every day, clean towels daily and more as needed.

• Non-Smoking Two Queen Room

Car park was poorly planned. Some spots very had to manoeuvre in and out of on tight angles.

Check in and check out was quite easy and the property was easy to find.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

I DID NOT LIKE THE Indian HUSBAND AND WIFE MANAGERS!! HE IS RUDE FIRST I SPENT GOOD MONEY WITH YOU GUYS OVER $500 4 NIGHTS . RIGHT OFF THE BAT HE TRIED TO STICK ME WAY IN THE CORNER IN A DIFFERENT ROOM THAT I HAD BOOKED! COULD NOT PARK NEAR MY ROOM UPON ARRIVAL DUE TO THE GROUND BEING ALL TORE UP RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY ROOM DOOR I WAS VERY TIRED FROM TRAVELING AND WANTED TOO NAP BUT COULD NOT BECAUSE OF GROUND PACKING EQUIPMENT THAT WAS HORRIBLY LOUD AND THIS IS AT THREE O'CLOCK IN THE AFTERNOON ! I THINK THE WORK SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE EARLY IN THE MORNING BEFORE GUSTS COME AND GO. LAST I WANTED TO STAY A COUPLE EXTRA NIGHTS AND WAS NOT ABLE TOO HE TOLD ME THEY WERE SOLD OUT AND WAS BEING RUDE ABOUT IT I SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO STAY LONGER! I THINK THE HOTEL WOULD BENEFIT FROM NEW MANAGEMENT THE INDIAN PEOPLE THAT ARE RUNNING THINGS ARE DOING A HORRIBLE JOB!!!

I LIKED THE BIG BED IT WAS COMFORTABLE AND THE TWO MAIDS, THE TWO MEXICAN LADIES WERE VERY ICE AND ACCOMMODATING.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

The only thing I didn't like was the table and chairs outside our room. A woman sat out there talking loudly on her cell phone and smoking, so I couldn't open the window. We asked for a non-smoking room for a reason, and here was someone smoking right outside our room.

I like clean floors and this place had shiny Pergo flooring. No carpets! Yay!

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Non-Smoking - King Room

I didn't like the false advertising of aquarium tickets. I specifically picked this hotel for that reason and they told me I couldn't get them on a one night stay. Rooms were basic, pillows and sheets smelt like hospital, just not comforting. Monterey surf inn should offer more.

• Non-Smoking - King Room

I had taken a last minute flight deal in which that you had to purchase without knowing exactly your departure and arrival times. I ended up calling the motel in the evening to tell them I would be late, and was instructed to call when I got to the airport, and told they did not have 24 hour check-in, but that it was OK because I would be there before midnight. As it turned out, my flight was delayed, so I didn't get to the hotel until after midnight. I relate all this because I'm quite sure I had read on the Booking.com site that they had 24 hour check-in, and hearing that this apparently wasn't exactly true caused me some unnecessary stress at the end of a long day of travelling. The bed was verrrry firm, not exactly to my liking, and the walls were thin.

The exterior was cheerful, I guess you could almost say quaint, a single story "motor hotel" of old. The property looked recently painted, and generally well kept up. Less than a mile walk to Downtown and Fisherman's Wharf, though it is uphill on the way back. Decent amenities inside room: cable, microwave, refrigerator, blowdryer. Shower is old-fashioned, high-pressure not so great for water conservation, but very pleasant for taking a shower. Coffee machine in the office. It is a short walk to a nearby shopping center with a drug store, Starbucks, and Whole Foods. There's a Vietnamese restaurant a couple of minutes up the road, though I didn't get around to eating there.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

• Non-Smoking - King Room

For some strange reason, all the toilets in Monterey and the surrounding area are low to the ground. This is painful for old knees.

high quality for low price

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Because there are hardwood floors, you can hear your neighbors walking in their rooms. Walls are thin. Needs some work....faucet loose and old, loose tile in bathroom, rust on towel racks, you only recieve 2 towels, chair at desk has tears. No privacy signs for outside your room door. Fake flowers in planters. Not even arranged to look real

Rooms look newly remodeled except restrooms. Room and restroom very clean

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

• Non-Smoking - King Room

Shower took to long to warm up , total waste of water unless you like cold shower to start Electrical wiring exposed in wet area and covered over with adjustable mirror or light

Location and color of hanging baskets etc

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

• Non-Smoking - King Room

They have 3 rooms tucked in a corner, no window except in bathroom. Our room #30 was one of them...no hairdryer

Decent stay for the price, across the street from walking path, 5 min drive from resturants. Looks updated, hardwood floors.