Reviews of MacArthur Place Inn & Spa 4 stars

29 East MacArthur Street, Sonoma, CA 95442, USA

#6 of 17 hotels in Sonoma

• Standard King Guestroom

The room was clean but a bit "tired." However, I understand that a major remodel will be in the works beginning this June/July.

A surprise welcoming split of champagne was in our room for my birthday! What a lovely extra touch ;o) Super friendly staff. Happy employees = Happy guests!

• Standard King Guestroom

Really overpriced for what it was. No bathtub in the king room. Standard furnishings, nothing exceptional. People were great and property is pretty. But location wasn't that great. Overall wasn't impressed for the money

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Everything was wonderful. The continental breakfast was a muffin, which was so delicious. But if you're hoping for something for that day after wine tasting grog or hangover, book breakfast plans!

The staff was amazing, the grounds were charming and lovely, the fact that it's not on the Sonoma square was nice as it was still 15m walk, 5 minute bike ride. But the walk was super easy/pleasant. I'd return. The restaurant is super cute but I didn't eat there. I will plan to next time. I usually stay at more modern, hip overpriced hotels but felt very taken care of and comfortable here. Great showers and comfy beds. I slept like a baby!

• Standard King Guestroom

I would have liked the tv coverage to include some non-commercial channels, such as HBO and Showtime. They did have dvd's, however.

The room was very comfortable and quiet and well located within the complex of buildings. I liked having the spa on site; the massage I had with Josephine (I think that was her name....) was fabulous. It was also nice to have Saddles on the property. I wish I had taken advantage of this restaurant for breakfast, since the continental breakfast included with the room was only minimal (coffee and muffins). The staff did a wonderful job of catering to my husband's allergies, however (for his breakfast).

• Standard King Guestroom

The spa. It is disorganized and they shorted me minutes on my service.

The gardens are beautiful. You feel like you are hidden from the world. Great pool. The staff is super friendly. They have a great daily happy hour, as well as a morning coffee.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Exceptional service across the board, from check in to check out; staff and room service personnel very friendly and effective. Grounds are beautiful and well kept. We were very pleased with everything we encountered.

• Standard King Guestroom

This beautiful hotel is within walking distance of downtown. It is a few blocks from the town square so it's peaceful when your shopping or wine tasting day is done. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed but the hotel will be renovated soon to update the estate to a more current Sonoma-Napa ambiance. I can't to see the finished product.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

The some difficulty involved in having to climb up stairs to access the rooms

The excellent service, the beautiful grounds, the easy access to dining and the spa, the beautiful room

• Standard King Guestroom

The room was very beautiful and felt like a small private cottage. The bed was very comfortable. Parking was easy. Location was great, close to everything.

• Standard King Guestroom

The walk from the hotel to Sonoma Plaza was run-down, and included boarded up businesses. Sad.

Room was comfortable and the on-site restaurant was great for breakfast.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

We were extremely unhappy with Saddles Restaurant. We had eaten at Saddles in the past & loved it. BUT this time, extremely disappointed!! My wife had eggshells in her Eggs Benedict our first morning. Our dinner, which we were looking forward to, was awful! We both ordered the Prime Rib. It was the worst Prime Rib we have ever eaten!! We waited an usually long time for the meal. When it did finally arrive mine was undercooked. And both my wife & I felt it had absolutely no taste whatsoever. Not sure that we will eat at Saddles again. We would not recommend eating there.

Loved the comfortable & luxurious room! My wife loved her facial treatment. Everyone was very courteous & made our stay a very pleasant experience.

• Standard King Guestroom

The bed was a little soft for our taste. That's it.

Gorgeous, spacious, comfortable room on lovely grounds. It's a beautiful place and for the right price we would gladly stay there again.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

The room was lovely. Each is in a townhouse type of building. There is a good restaurant on site with a delicious breakfast. The pool area is lovely with cocktails and a spa.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

The hotel was beautiful, the room was huge, well appointed with lovely details. The check in was gracious and thoughtful. Pre dinner drinks and nibbles were an unexpected bonus. Breakfast was also very good value, with a great selection.

• Standard King Guestroom

THE property and the staff are amazing. It has a great swimming pool and superb spa. The Saddles restaurant is also fantastic. But most of all the staff. Specially at Saddles. The waiters are incredible (specially David). This was my second time at the hotel and will defenetely be back soon.

• Standard King Guestroom

Can’t say that we didn’t dislike anything.

The hotel was quiet and lovely with amenities. Unfortunately we were evacuated on the third day of our stay and had to cut our vacation short due to all the fires in the area! Dinner in the onsite restaurant Saddles was excellent!

• King Room - Disability Access

Poor service, revoulting complimentary breakfast, very old alliances, old and unappealing restaurant ambiance. The stuff did not even care on how we felt, they get clientele anyway as it’s close to SF! The location is their only advantage.

see above.

problems with air conditioning unit for room. Shared it with another room which was a big problem. they should not have given us that room. upgraded us to a suite after problem arose. had problems with onsite restaurant 2 nights; very slow service, and mistake with dinner ordered. shouldn't have been like that for upscale restaurant. Like the property itself and very helpful staff, and excellent quiet location. Restaurant operation needs improvement.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

I’d like the concierge to work w Master Gardeners to have an itinerary of gardens, conservation areas, parks, places to see “landscapes”, etc. (But of course it can wait for however long it takes to recover from the fires.)

Great place, loved the room, great location, beautiful gardens.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

It was hard to cool off the room the first day and the a/c ran all night and dried my throat. I wanted a bathtub, don't like showers.

I liked the wine and cheese at 5 in the Library, and the serenity of the grounds.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Property was worn, mattress should of been replaced a year ago. It was sagging in the middle and it was difficult to fall asleep. Woke up with a stiff back. Shower was next to impossible to adjust to comfortable level.

The grounds are relaxing and peaceful

• Standard Queen Guestroom

They went out of their way to make our stay great. I'd told them it was my boyfriend's 40th, and they upgraded us to a suite and had champagne waiting for us in the room. Great weekend at a lovely spot!

Pool area and hot tub need maintenance. Feels like there are no staff working there. If you need something you need to go to reception, gives it a motel feel. Whole experience was a little cold. Check in was not good, we were offered no help, just a map on how to get to our room.

Rooms are spacious. Wine hour, gets crowded though.

The place have winetasting every day at 5pm, this is a good service and nice activity. But condersidering that the location is in a wine area, the wines were at a very low level, the same goes for the wine in the restaurant. We had to taste 4 wines before finding, not even a good one, but just acceptable. The staff had no knowlegde about wine, this should be a must in Sonoma.

Good buffet breakfast, nice staff, good service

• Standard King Guestroom

We liked everything about this inn. The location is perfect in that it is walking distance to shopping and restaraunts. The continental breakfast was generous in its offerings of fruits, fresh baked pastries, cereals and eggs. The rooms are clean, comfortable and well appointed. The staff was friendly and accommodating. It's a very comfortable place to stay.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

It would have been nice if the room had cost less, but otherwise pretty wonderful.

The room and bathroom were large, very comfortable bed, nice chair and couch, good views of gardens. Walks around gardens of facility were lovely, Very enjoyable cocktail hour in the library with choice of wine, local cheeses and fruit. Excellent (included) breakfast buffet in pretty restaurant. All in all, it's a great place to stay. Only 1/2 mile walk to the historic center of Sonora (where fun farmer's market was going on). One more comment: I really enjoyed Sonoma - - I've driven thru many times but this was my first stay and I'd definitely return.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Standard Queen Guestroom

The evening restaurant staff were not very welcoming - we walked into the restaurant and felt so unwelcome that we decided to go elsewhere.

The location was great - beautiful gardens and flowers. A very pretty setting

• Standard Queen Guestroom

it was a perfect overnight trip

From the moment we arrived, we were struck by the warmth of the staff we encountered from our check-in to a late lunch at Saddles. Everyone was friendly, accommodating, and generous. We arrived on a Monday and not only received an unexpected upgrade, we were sent a bottle of wine as we settled in! The rooms and entire property are super comfortable and filled with down-to-earth luxury. The breakfast that's included was abundant and full of healthy options, including all kinds of fruit (lots of berries!), yogurt, housemade granola, and gluten-free muffins and cereal. The grounds at Macarthur Place are lush and beautiful, filled with flowering trees, shrubs, and plants everywhere. We spent one day away and felt like we'd been away relaxing for at least a few! Thank you!

• Standard King Guestroom

I didn't like that there were two different room rates for the weekend. Saturday night was $150 more than Friday night. I was not aware of this when I booked the room.

Room was wonderful

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• King Room - Disability Access

Needed an instruction manual to help navigate the thermostat.

Breakfast amazing! Facilities beautiful! Walked to town plaza! Staff friendly and professional!

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

• Standard King Guestroom

Wonderful stay! Well maintained, gorgeous location with an exceptional staff. Cozy bed with the warmest comforter!. Clean! Would recommend and have recommended to anyone who will listen. Thank you for the most relaxing stay. Will be back!

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• Standard King Guestroom

The coffee wasn't very good and the tea water tasted like coffee which made it undrinkable. Gluten-free options would also be nice.

The rooms were spacious and very comfortable.

• Standard King Guestroom

It's a little worn around the edges. Small pool, small spa, older facility.

Great continental breakfast included in the price. Good location. Really amazing staff. Comfortable rooms, very pretty landscaping throughout the property. Staff is too notch with good advice about local wineries and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Wish my room had a tub.

The staff were super attentive and nice. They upgraded our room at check in because it was our anniversary. Breakfast buffet was good. On site restaurant was good for dinner.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Our waitress at Saddles where we had dinner was only fair.

The rooms and grounds were very tastefully designed and maintained impeccably. The staff was well trained and friendly while also being professional.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Next time I'm getting one of the suites- the regular rooms don't have bathtubs, and the suites have indoor AND outdoor bathtubs and showers!

Free wine and cheese from 5-6pm EVERY DAY, free continental breakfast (not run-of-the mill free buffet, truly a great meal), EXCELLENT service!

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

It was great

I loved the service from Justin the concierge he was excellent he made my night the best ever my vision of that night he made it come true

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

• Standard King Guestroom

The woman hosting the wine reception in the library on Sunday night was rude. Over chatted some totally ignored others, including us and was curt at best.

Great location, great front desk staff, great room.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Would have quite liked a bath in our room, but just my preference. The shower was great though, hot and great water pressure.

They upgraded our room for free! Always nice! Very comfortable bed. The staff were so helpful and recommended a great tasting room for us which was fab!

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Celebrated my 40th at the Inn last week with my husband. I was immediately upgraded when I checked in and a lovely bottle of champagne was sent to the room on my birthday. The concierge (Karen) was so amazing and she booked our whole day from wineries to dinner that night. Beautiful place and exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you MacArthur for an unforgettable birthday.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Beautiful property with big rooms. The restaurant is great for both breakfast and dinner. Would have loved to have more time to relax at the hotel, but the wineries were calling our name :)

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Standard King Guestroom

Wished it was just a couple blocks closer to the square as we didn't have a car.

Service was outstanding. Restaurant and Bar were great. Almost didn't want to leave the property - so quaint and had everything we needed. Staff we extremely helpful and very, very friendly.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Standard King Guestroom

Staff was very helpful with booking dinner reservations. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Plenty of free parking. We were given complimentary champagne & chocolates for our 25th wedding anniversary . Liked the cheese and wine happy hour and the complimentary buffet breakfast. We will return 😃

• Standard King Guestroom

Location and style of the property

Everything!

• Standard King Guestroom

The staff were very helpful. I loved the room decor and many amenities.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Amazing property, very clean and manicured lawns and gardens. Staff are wonderful!

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Noisy room. No complimentary muffins left in the morning. Not as good a location as expected.

Comfortable bed.

• Standard King Guestroom

Old and not not solid house Overpriced for value, for the same budget you may find better options.

Nice staff

• Standard King Guestroom

I liked the quaintness of the property, the grounds, fauna and intimate pathways. The staff was outstanding.

Everything was great!

Best omelet ever! Actually dinner the prior evening was excellent.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Our bed had a horrible squeak in it so every time I moved it squeaked and it felt like the mattress was older and needed to be replaced.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

The bed’s mattress was very old and bent towards the center (canoe bed).

The grounds are very nice. Wine hour was nice.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

2 nights was not enough in this perfect hotel. I hope we can go back one day.

Excellent grounds, good proximity to downtown Sonoma, excellent (but pricey) restaurant (Saddles).

• Standard King Guestroom

WiFI speeds horrible. Everything else, incredible.

• Standard King Guestroom

Bed had a weird divot in the pillow top. Sleeping was slightly uncomfortable.

Lovely property close to the square.

The shower .just on the wall . No jam at breakfast . Noisy people walking with suitcases in the morning

• Standard Queen Guestroom

They offered GF muffins that were very nice.

• Standard King Guestroom

An outstanding breakfast selection and quality.

Breakfast was disappointing

• King Room - Disability Access

The guy at the front desk last night, kinda rude

Nothing at all!

We liked it all! Restaurant, reception, housekeeping, really nice experience.

• Standard King Guestroom

The cozy feel of the location and friendly staff!

Not cheap.

A first-rate resort.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Beautiful location with an easy 15 min walk to town square where there are lots of restaurants

• Standard King Guestroom

Very relaxing place. Wonderful location and beautiful pool.

• Standard Queen Guestroom

There was nothing not to like

All the staff were excellent, friendly and helpfull

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Really beautiful room, lovely service, great location. Easy to hire bikes to explore

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Great service . Very friendly .

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Air conditioner and needed a fan

• Standard Queen Guestroom

Expensive as it is and then extra charge to rent bicycles.

Beautiful garden, great breakfast, lovely rooms.

Great relaxing environment

• Standard King Guestroom

Grounds were beautiful - felt very private