Reviews of The Marcel at Gramercy 4 stars

201 East 24th Street, Gramercy, New York, 10010, USA

#286 of 415 hotels in New York

5.2

The location was great for our visit.
    • Superior One Bed

It is NYC so I get the small rooms but the one we had was pretty tiny. we booked two rooms and parents got the "bigger" room with a little more walking space. We were in the hotel to sleep and get ready but if we were staying in longer - it would have been a little too small. The other thing is their AC - they are loud when they cut off and on. The hotel gives you ear plugs if you need them but they didnt seem to help!

The location was great for our visit. Parking is available in the garage next door and at a fairly good rate for NYC! Staff was friendly.

The bed was like a cloud, I want to buy the mattress.
    • Standard Room

No tea service in the room, had to go to the 10th floor just to get hot water and it wasn't open until 6:30 am.

The bed was like a cloud, I want to buy the mattress.

Only okay
    • Standard Room

Room was postage-stamp size (wife says it was even smaller), and only useful for sleeping, not hanging out. In morning, had to wait 10 minutes for elevator.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Loved the rooftop astroturf area.

Small room with overpriced room snacks and service.
    • Standard Room

Almost everything in the room has a price. Literally almost everything. Water was $5 and small can Pringles $3 just a name a few. The TV doesn't even work. The bed is too low and the room is too small. If you gonna make people pay for water and Pringles at least make it affordable. Smfh

Decor and staff.

Lovely big room for the cost and from previous stays on NYC.

Shame the hotel lacks a bar- though plenty of lovely bars close by. We experienced noise from the lift- unavoidable due to the room backing onto the lift shaft. Temperamental safe in the room (room 909)

Lovely big room for the cost and from previous stays on NYC. Comfortable nights sleep. Great location and base for exploring the city. Hotel in nice area, only short walk to subway. Roof top terrace (with free coffee- though didn’t get told about this on check in) and lounge with good views...very friendly and helpful front desk staff..would feel happy to stay again.

Fantastic at The Marcel at Gramercy
    • Superior One Bed

Standard rooms are small. The bathrooms are tiny.

The staff was excellent - Special mentions Scott, Luis & Nina. The concierge Abdellah and Noury were courteous and helpful. The suite during the last 5 days of the stay were simply amazing. Spacious and roomy. The location was fantastic.

The room was clean, the iced water, the morning coffee, the...
    • Standard Room

Some evenings the tea and coffee wasn’t available. On our last night we planned to have prosecco on the rooftop but it was closed for a private event 😞

The room was clean, the iced water, the morning coffee, the location.

the staff is wonderful and Milta takes such good care of us...
    • Standard Room

the staff is wonderful and Milta takes such good care of us and we feel like we are visiting with our extended family. Everyone is eager to lease. You won't find a more gracious place to stay . Can't wait to return

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

A place worth recommending to people who do not care for a good night's sleep.
    • Standard Room

Rooms very small, very thin windows and too much noise all night. The roof terrace needs an upgrade, although the view is nice. Bad, bad wifi! Difficulty in issuing the correct invoice.

Good location, nice facility for the price. A friendly common space on the top floor, with access to the rooftop, free coffee and tea. Plus for the iron in the room.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

The hotel is located near the metro.
    • Standard Room

Standard room was very small. Air condition worked very bad - or hot or cold. The room requires refreshing. Wi Fi worked with disruptions. The view from the room was to another building.

The hotel is located near the metro.

A great place to stay
    • Superior One Bed

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel. We had a very bad room the first night: extremely small and the window was blocked by a wall (literally ON the window) and the view through the open part of the window was into another wall! It is hard to describe but basically there was no window. No outside light at all and the AC was not working. But the next morning, we were able to get another room that was perfect.

The rooftop terrace is amazing! The view! Rooms were clean and hotel is well renovated.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Good location but noisy

I like the hotel it’s decor and placement. The air conditioning in our room was extremely noisy and unreliable (it would keep changing temperatures and switch on after we switched it off). The room was noisy due to the air con and poor insulation that the hotel gives ear plugs (that’s a first). One Sunday we went out at 9am and back at 5pm. Neither of my rooms was cleaned by housekeeping (seems they forgot our floor altogether). We informed the reception and had to wait in the lobby until they were done. As a thanks the housekeeper put the alarm on for 6am. Honestly disappointed and feel I overpaid for the poor experience. I had stayed before and not had such a poor experience in the past. I would have a hard time coming back. A shame really.

It is a walking distance to the Broadway St and Time Squares...
    • Superior One Bed

Wish there was a microwave in the room. Fridge was small n occupied with hotel prepared drinks.

It is a walking distance to the Broadway St and Time Squares area.

Excellent Gem in Gramercy !!!
    • Superior One Bed

The standard and superior rooms are small. Bathrooms are very small. Paid Wifi and parking.

The staff is excellent. Very courteous, helpful and helpful. Scott & Luis at the front desk and Abdellah & Noury in concierge went out of their way to help.

Loved it!
    • Standard Room

Only the fact that you have to pay for wifi in rooms, but you can use it in their lounge on the 10th floor for free.

We had an upgrade to the room with the balcony, complimentary wine as we were celebrating and anniversary and the staff were so helpful!

Fantastic roof terrace, comfortable room, good location for...
    • Standard Room

No free room WiFi, loud aircon, zero view so kind of dark

Fantastic roof terrace, comfortable room, good location for exploring different parts of the city

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!

leaving

Though a business owner and Venture Capitalist, I always try to be positive. I left one review before and please excuse me for now I will be brutally honest. There A/C is worthless. The they move your room to accommodate themselves but want you to think they are assisting you. I have a lot of luggage which isn't their problem but do you think I want to be changed 2x's a day???? DAH!! There were 2 women who seemed to be helpful. Caroline was INCREDIBLE!!! She understood customer service and did what she could for every customer. Isabelle who was a supervisor seemed to be somewhat helpful. Then there was Scott, Let me state this again SCOTT. Who quoted to me that his co-workers are liars, that he controls the hotel and would do what he wanted with my reservations!!!!! Caroline overheard the conversation. Isabelle who is Asian said he would never state these things. I REFUSE AT 63 YEARS OF AGE TO BE CALLED A LIAR!! I have traveled to many countries and I show respect everywhere. Caroline deserves a position in a hotel where she is appreciated. The hotel has too many inconsistencies. Some rooms you cannot sit properly on a toilet seat and I am a small woman. You cannot even access toilet paper. You pray that the A/C will work. Because of their problems they switched my room 5x's. You have to be kidding me. I lose work time, business calls, etc. It has no amenities, the area is not convenient to anything (I AM A TRUE BLUE NY'er), the delis are horrible, the only place for food is Associated Supermarket, their sheets are washed in soap that leaves many (I checked online and with business associates) with face and body rashes. I requested proper bedding but wasn't given more than once. I WILL NEVER LIE TO YOU OR ANYONE. NO ONE IS SMART ENOUGH TO REMEMBER THEIR LIES. i WILL NOT HAVE A MANAGER IE SCOTT SPEAK IN THAT MANNER TO ME AND LIE TO ME. I NO ONE THAT OPPORTUNITY TELL ME THAT HER EMPLOYEE WOULD NEVER LIE.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Location of the hotel was good.
    • Standard Room

Wi-Fi for 10$ per day. Quite expensive breakfast (18$).

Location of the hotel was good. The room was clean. Free access to rooftop with perfect view + you can enjoy free coffee to water. People at the desk were very helpful.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.
    • Superior One Bed

Nothing, This was my second stay, and this stay was even better then the first.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. They went above and beyond during each interaction. We were able to check in and leave our luggage hours before our room was ready, and the hotel emailed us to let us know when our room was ready. There are no ice machines, however the staff is very quick to deliver some to your room when you call the front desk. Terrace on the 10th floor was perfect to sit out and enjoy in the evening after being out for a full day. Added bonus - the Terrace offers a STUNNING view of the Empire State Building. You are able to see the Chrysler Building from the terrace as well, although only in one spot looking up 3rd. Multiple subway options within walking distance: Line 6 at E 23rd and Park, Line R & W at E 23rd & Broadway/5th Ave. Great restaurants within a few blocks. Madison Square Park & Shake Shack are a few mins walk away and totally worth the line up for the burger and the view.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

It was our second stay at this hotel.
    • Superior One Bed

Noisy surroundings due to the night life are some power generators. This was our second stay at this hotel. This time we got a bigger room, but there was a door that connected to other room, so we could hear each others perfectly, which is a bit disturbing and unappealing.

It was our second stay at this hotel. Very friendly staff with a smile always ready. There is complementary lemonade at the reception and free coffee on the roof floor. The view is great and the location even better, just next to different subway lines. If you feel healthy, you can also walk to the main touristic spots.

First trip to NYC
    • Superior One Bed

When a hotel gives you complementary ear plugs, you know that something abnormal will happen. The area surrounding the hotel is noisy with cars/trucks passing by during the night. Also there was a 24 hour power generator on just in front of the hotel. You definitely need those ear plugs. Wi-Fi is paid!

The beds were extremely comfortable, the location was...
    • Standard Room

The beds were extremely comfortable, the location was perfect, and the rooms were clean and quiet. The staff was very, very accommodating...above and beyond expectations. We were please and highly recommend The Marcel and will stay again while in New York City.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND

The mattresses.

The staff was over accommodating! I am a born and breed NY'er so let me assure everyone that it is in a very safe, excellent to commute, location!! The housekeeping services were fabulous. The only thing I would say, which is a personal problem, is I have a fractured back and the mattresses (had 3 different rooms) were killing me and causing severe pain. I would definitely recommend this hotel!!

Absolutely fabulous!
    • Standard Room

The service was phenomenal. The first room we had was noisy and the carpet was wet - the staff were amazing, sending us a bottle of wine and a handwritten card. They also upgraded our room the next day (when one became available). The problem had been reported by the person who sent us the wine to the manager when she came in the next day. I'm accustomed to problems being forgotten when there's a change of staff so this was great. The rooms were really were designed, comfortable beds and a good shower. And a great rooftop with Empire State view and everything! Really happy 😊

Decor was good, location is good, staff was great.

Couldn’t set thermostat permanently, would revert to pre-set temp to save energy. Woke up in middle of every night, uncomfortable, had to re-set thermostat.

Decor was good, location is good, staff was great.

Always enjoy the Marcel!
    • Standard Room

A little bit out of the way location, but actually close to Union Square and Washington Square areas. Did have a lot of restaurant choices within walking distance.

Met my expectation.
    • Superior King Room

Met my expectation. Like the low key location, but a lot of restaurants. Easy in and out. Very friendly people works there. Clean room and bathroom. Inexpensive rooms.

A good option in the heart of Chelsea
    • Superior One Bed

The hallway carpeting and some of the hallway finishes could use a little love. (Seriously though, only a little.)

Easy check-in, unexpected room upgrade, and a great neighborhood at a good price for NYC. No dresser in the room but plenty of hangers and a couple of shelves in the freestanding closet. Big window! Not sure how long ago the rehab took place (I hear it was previously excellent but when downhill a few years ago) but they did a solid job.

The location is excellent.
    • Superior One Bed

The rooms are a bit small. Otherwise. Everything else was good.

The location is excellent. The staff well trained, courteous and efficient. Lots of bars, restaurants and shopping.

Great location and excellent staff especially Scott, Milta...
    • Standard Room

Breakfast selection and quality needs improvement although the lady that takes care of the breakfast is very nice and helpful.

Great location and excellent staff especially Scott, Milta and Abdellah!

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Incredible find in Gramercy
    • Standard Room

Paid wifi and breakfast, elevators very slow,

Great location, staff friendly and very personable. Room small but great use of space. Gorgeous bathrooms, great shower and bath products. Lounge and rooftop with coffee perfect way to start day. Bed comfy.

Really nice hotel, I can recommend it.
    • Superior One Bed

The hotel was really nice in a very good location in NYC. The staff was really nice to the guests (Special thanks to Caroline) and they really tried to help on our requests. I can recommend this hotel.

Stay somewhere else
    • Standard Room

They didn’t tell us we were staying in a storage closet. Our room was so tiny that when you opened the door you basically hit the bed and there was absolutely no place to put your bags, my boyfriend and I only had 3 small-medium duffle bags total, the bed was squished against the air conditioner and an end table that every time you rolled over you’d smack your head off it. The hangers were also in the most awful place, right on the wall in front of the end table so when you stood up in the morning in your 7 inches of leg room between the wall and the bed (no lie) you smacked your face off those as well. Not to mention the lighting was horrible, you could barley see to get ready in the morning, you go in a tiny and I am not exaggerating when I say tiny path to the bathroom door (you literally cannot see anything on this path because the lighting is so dim and does not reach over there) you trip over a small step that you cannot see because again NO lighting over in the corner, fell into the bathroom and stubbed your toe on it, and the bathroom fan made a horrible sound every time you turned the light on, no way to turn the fan off without turning the light off. Honestly very hard to breathe due to the fact that it was so small because it was honestly meant to be a storage closet.

Staff was nice, super clean, not far from Times Square and other things to do.

Comfortable, modern hotel in a good location.
    • Standard Room

The decor looked a little scruffy- modern but in need of a bit of re-do. Room was quite small but otherwise it was fine. Roof terrace felt like it wasn't used to its full potential, staff were polite but impersonal.

Really comfortable bed, in a good location walking distance to great restaurants, Madison Square park and lots of other sights. Roof terrace had good views but could be used more effectively. Free coffee and tea throughout the day was great. Overall a good place to stay for a few days near everything.

We had a really good stay at the Marcel and really enjoyed...
    • Standard Room

The bathroom could do with some ventalation as everything got very wet very quick.

We had a really good stay at the Marcel and really enjoyed the smile every morning when we left for the day for the doorman! Really good location close to the Flatiron District and in great walking distance of Times Square.

OK hotel but could improve a lot with a couple of changes.
    • Standard Room

The hotel has a couple of problems: the first is the noisy air conditioning. Some rooms the air conditioning is so noisy that it is impossible to sleep at night, we had to change room. Another problem is that you have to pay extra to use Internet in the room, which shouldn't be the case in todays modern hotels. Rooms are quite small.

The location of the hotel was great, close to major attractions of New York. Staff were friendly, always willing to help and try to solve problems. Rooms were modern and clean

Nice basic hotel.
    • Standard Room

Only thing is it is a few blocks from any subway but the walk is pleasant enough.

The place was clean. The staff were nice. In particular Abdellah at the door who saw us struggling as we left and went above and beyond the call of duty. He’s a star.

The room was very nice, big and clean.
    • Superior King Room

The WiFi didn’t work well. The air conditioning didn’t work well, each machine worked by itself.

The room was very nice, big and clean. The bed was big and very good. The bathroom has the jacuzzi.

Front desk staffs were nice and kind
    • Standard Room

I found hair in my pillow (right after check in) My lotion was under the bed(they dropped it and did not pick it up) Some kind of smell in the toilet

Front desk staffs were nice and kind Location was great for me (near NYU Dental School)

Five star experience with out the five star tarrif !
    • Standard Room

Just a touch cramped in room, with refrigerator in an awkward spot to engage ironing board.

Staff very helpful, and straightforward. Plenty of room in closet's.

Courteous, friendly, and helpful staff.
    • Standard Room

Courteous, friendly, and helpful staff. Clean rooms with an artful aesthetic. The unlimited coffee and tea on the rooftop garden with views of the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building were a bonus!

Very quick but nice stay.
    • Standard Room

The outlet in the bathroom would not work so I had to dry my hair in the bedroom (my cord just reached where I had to stand to see in the mirror)

The Marcel at Gramercy was a great hotel. Location was perfect for us as my daughter and I were looking at NYC colleges and universities. Beds were comfortable and the A/C kept our room very comfortable.

Great staff and perfect location
    • Standard Room

The staff were really accommodating and helpful in moving us, but the smaller rooms were way too expensive for the price we paid.

When we first checked in we were put in a tiny room with a double bed that took up the entire space. As we were friends traveling together we asked if we could be moved into a room with a slightly bigger bed - although they didn't have one available for our first night they moved us into a much larger room with a big king bed for the remainder of our stay. The rest of our stay was brilliant, staff were very helpful. The location of the hotel is ideal for all tourist activities and right by a subway for easy access to everything. On our final day Mohamed helped to get us a taxi to the airport in the pouring rain - as all of the cars were booked he ended up hailing us a limousine for the same price! An amazing way to end our trip.

The perfect stay in NYC
    • Standard Room

You have to pay if you want WiFi in your room which I think is crazy in NYC in 2018!

The Marcel is in the great location. Close to lots of great restaurants and cafes.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Beautiful hotel and lovely staff
    • Superior King Room

Beautiful and nicely decorated hotel in a good location. Lovely staff. Unfortunately I missed my connection to NYC in Miami and missed my first night that I'd booked and wasn't able to get a refund but the hotel did allow for a late check out the next day at 2:30pm free of charge. Wifi was also free!

The room was very clean, bed very comfortable and the...
    • Standard Room

There was no complaints, all was good

The room was very clean, bed very comfortable and the service was excellent. I would recommend this hotel to others that need a place to stay in NY. Very good experience.

Good location a few downsides.
    • Standard Room

We had a first floor room. Just above the street. Windows provide very little sound insulation, you hear every noise. The air condition is very loud. Room is very small.

Staff was very nice. Location is great to explore Manhattan by foot. The rooftop terrace gives a great view of Manhattan, coffee and tea are complimentary.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Lovely staff, nice décor, clean and well looked after.
    • Standard Room

only downsize was the size of the rooms. Fine is you haven't got a lot of luggage but we had 2 large suitcases and 2 backpacks and we struggled as we had no where to put them.

Lovely staff, nice décor, clean and well looked after. Good location with nice bars near by.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Deluxe Room is spacious for New York.

Second time corner room towards street. Lack of isolation makes it very noisy so they provide earplugs for free which says it all. The quality of the breakfast is not really up to standard.

Deluxe Room is spacious for New York. The roof top terrace very nice. Friendly and helpful staff.

Room was very clean and in a great area.
    • Superior One Bed

Room was incredibly noisy due to the aircon unit. We couldn't sleep with the unit turned on, but then woke in the night too hot if the aircon was left off too long. Even when our room's unit was turned off we could hear the sound of other people's aircon all night long. Needless to say we didn't sleep well. Also had issues with pretty much all of the power outlets as most did not work.

Room was very clean and in a great area. Easy to get around NYC

Nice stay in a center of the city
    • Superior One Bed

The property is located in a nice area, in a middle of the city. There are many places to eat and Madison Square Park is nearby. The beds were comfortable, the staff was very nice and helpful. There is an amazing terrace overlooking Empire State building and we spent every late night there enjoying the view. There is free coffee/tea ( the espresso and cappuccino were the best) at the hall next to the terrace on the 10th floor. We were walking to most of the places, but if you need to use the metro, there is a metro station near by.

Very nice hotel, great service, and we got upgraded to a...
    • Superior One Bed

No free Wi-Fi in the room and no coffee making facilities in the room.

Very nice hotel, great service, and we got upgraded to a large room with great view.

Location, staff is very friendly.
    • Superior One Bed

The room is way too small. Which make it difficult to make much move in the room. The air conditioner is difficult to have stable temperature and it sounds extremely much.

Location, staff is very friendly.

Great location away from the crowds to explore NYC by foot.
    • Standard Room

Expensive mini bar in the room.

Our room had enough space for the two of us and our bags, wardrobe and safe included to store belongings. It had everything we needed, was clean and modern. Complementary WiFi and ice cold lemon water in the lobby which was very refreshing after a hot day out in the city. One floor 10 there was more water, free WiFi, coffee and apples. It was a great place to sit and make use of the rooftop garden with brilliant views of the empire state building.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Too much noise/ 4 star is overrated
    • Standard Room

I specifically mentioned at check in that i need a quiet room and what i got was room 217 which is probably the loudest ever - right next to the air conditioning systems that serve the entire quarter. I asked for a different room and what i got was a room at a higher level - much more quiet compared to first try but still i couldn’t sleep more than 3-4 hours per night. At check out i delivered this feedback and i was assured that next time they will make sure i get a better room. I will not risk it next time. To conclude, there are better rooms in the hotel - probably they assign them based on the rate paid or personal preferences. I was particularly disappointed that i asked for a quiet room in the first place and got a terrible one - probably to make the second option look better. I do not appreciate this kind of false politeness. I feel cheated. - extremely small room. Good enough for one but marketed as double room. This hotel is not a 4 star - not until they improve the windows isolation at least.

Location 10th floor lounge &view Complimentary coffee and fruit Good wifi

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Fair.
    • Standard Room

My room was so tiny I could barely move about. The window was pretty much concealed. However, when I asked for another room, the second one was bigger and had a window.

Staff was extremely friendly and helpful, especially Nabil.

New York Trip 2018
    • Superior One Bed

Lifts to slow, no free bottled water. Transport from hotel to airport AVOID rude driver and tried to add more money than what was agreed. Tiny point thats not a problem for me, there was a window but was glossed over because a loud huge generator outside, no view and you coukd feel in a small closed area. But it was great for us.

The balcony looking over empire state, the location, the room size, the staff, really good.

Super clean and friendly hotel in a great location.
    • Standard Room

The location was convenient for walking or getting to the subway. There were many restaurants and coffee shops near by. The hotel was spotless. The bed was comfortable. Loved the guest lounge on the 10th floor. My absolute favorite was the roof top terrace. Beautiful view at night. Loved being able to get some fresh air away from the crowds.

Helpful stuff made my stay in New York amazing :)thank you!
    • Superior One Bed

It is a bit noisy but you are in New York so don’t worry, you can sleep next to this noise - it isn’t overwhelmingly laud.

I have travelled first time, alone to New York. I m originally from New Zealand and working in fashion. I came to NYC for visit a fashion expo. Immediately, from the very first moment when I arrived to the hotel, I have felt, I have chosen one of the best place to stay in the Big Apple. I loved every single moment in NYC! The Hotel: Clean - Kind - Helpful - Flexible - Safe - Nice room - Nice selection of breakfast - Perfect location! Thank you very much for everything for The Marcel and Gramercy’s team! You are awesome because you made my stay so comfortable and unforgettable nice!

Good place, reasonable price.
    • Superior One Bed

The room we got was very small. We could barely place our two big bags in the room. One of them had to be put on the fridge. Also, there was no free WiFi in the room.

Nice staff. Clean and comfortable room. Subways nearby.

Pros: clean room.
    • Standard Room

There wasn’t free WiFi in room (this is the modern era where internet should be freely available everywhere). The room but VERY small, I expected something with a little more leg room (seriously small). For the value I paid almost ~US$200/night, definitely overpriced.

Pros: clean room. Free coffee. Cold air conditioning (was 30+ degrees outside). There was communal WiFi from 7am-10pm in lounge room. Breakfast in lounge (but for $18pp/d)

Super comfortable bed,very friendly and serviceminded staff.
    • Standard Room

Nothing really,but my booking said my room was supposed to have a sitting area but that was not the case.

Super comfortable bed,very friendly and serviceminded staff. They let me check out later too due to my late departure. They gave me the Wifi in the room for free as well.

Mediocre Hotel.
    • Standard Room

Rooms small and it is not in the hustle and bustle of NYC. Some staff members phenomenal particularly Scott, Chiara and Muhammed, others sulky and disrespectful particularly a supervisor (whom I never saw at front desk)whose name I did not get was totally unprofessional.

Was mediocre.

Not sure whether this is a positive for boutique hotels
    • Standard Room

Standard room was just too small for 2 adults, AC system is extremely loud and was difficult to adjust. It is time to renovate the place and perhaps consider double-glazed windows etc, esp. when you are on a busy avenue.

Location is perfect and staff were generally friendly. Also lobby is nice.

Super comfy bed!
    • Standard Room

Price was not that cheap, but I guess it is NYC. The elevators were slow, but everything else was good.

The bed was very comfy and the location was quite central. I can walk to the Flatiron district within 5 to 10 mins. The closest station is 23rd street, which is the flatiron district. There is also a water station with infused lemon water which was perfect for the hot summer!

Pleasant stay, friendly and helpful staff. Would recommend to people unaffected by noise.
    • Superior King Room

This is definitely not the quietest hotel, and we heard our (upstairs) neighbors as well as the elevator, located on the other side of the far wall. The staff immediately changed our reservation to another, quieter room, but we lost the light/view for the back of the building, and the sound of A/Cs of other rooms. I slept fine, and wasn't too bothered by the darkness of the room, but I also spent most my time at a conference.

The location is great, close to Subway and restaurants, and in walkable distance to most fun places (including Broadway, but I like to walk). The rooms looked like the photos, but were definitely a bit dated/worn. Super friendly and helpful staff, very responsive.

Would definitely stay again.
    • Standard Room

The breakfast should be included in the rate, it's not a full breakfast but if they would change that it would be better.

The staff was excellent. Everyone went the extra mile to make sure my family and I was accommodated for. From the doorman to customer service, even housekeeping staff were all very friendly.

The location, the cleanliness.
    • Superior One Bed

In the first night we had a horrible room, 201, with the loudest air conditioning, no natural light and crooked floors. Also, it was very small compared to what I expected for a superior room.

The location, the cleanliness.

Nice simple place to stay at a good rate for NYC.
    • Standard Room

Electrical seemed a bit wonky, esp A/C. I turned it off and it wouldn't come back in. Didn't cool that well, which is not a problem for me, but could be for some. One lamp didn't work. Terrace needs serious improvement for some charm, like shade or umbrellas, and the grass carpet is weird.

Was upgraded to a bigger room. Very clean lobby and room. Staff very professional and friendly. Maintenance came to fix AC quickly. Modern design.

The staff were amazing!
    • Standard Room

The staff were amazing! Whilst staying at the hotel I informed them that I was proposing to my partner and they did everything to make it as special as possible. The lady at reception was so lovely and I could not be more thankful!

Great location great hotel...perfect for your NY stay!!!
    • Standard Room

The elevators were a little slow but nothing that impacted greatly

The staff were amazing...from check-in to the lounge staff, housekeeping. So welcoming and smiley and helpful- especially Daniella at the front desk!!!

The doorman Mohamed helped us with our bikes and was always...

Breakfast.

The doorman Mohamed helped us with our bikes and was always helpful. Milta and her colleagues were awesome ! She facilitated everything for us !

Excellent stay in a clean, modern and central hotel
    • Standard Room

The facilities are really modern and clean. The staff in the reception were super friendly. Mohamed was really helpful and kind. He helped me with my luggages and he also hold them into the store room after my checkout time. When I arrived in the hotel, I had a cold water with lemon on my arrival as a refreshment. The room was great. There was a big tv, desk with phone, notebook and pencil. There were also brand new earplugs for me to use! The bathroom was spotless. There is shampoo, shower gel, conditioner and body lotion as well as tissues, hairdryer and carbon cups there. You can also find iron and iron board in the room which I find really handy. There is a digital clock where you can set an alarm as well and attach two USB cables to charge your phone. The big wardrobe and mirror were really useful.

Kiara and Caroline were super friendly and allowed us to...
    • Standard Room

Analogical TV signal - couldn't enjoy the WC 2018 properly. The rooms with street view are a bit noisy during the night.

Kiara and Caroline were super friendly and allowed us to check-in earlier plus we got an excellent room. Also the girls helped us get a late-check-out - thanks a lot! Comfortable bed and good Air-CO.

Staff was really excellent, professional, helpful and trying...
    • Standard Room

Room was far to small, noise from a street, windows do not shot properly. Cleaning lady was only superficial in cleaning. Apparently this was a double room for double occupacy. At the end I had to travel alone thus both room and bed were to small (bed 130 cm wide) Neighbourhood not so nice at night. Use E 23rd street to return to a hotel

Staff was really excellent, professional, helpful and trying to accommodate guest requests. Especially Mohamed. Complimentary Coffee selection on 10th floor in common room was nice as well the view from a terrace on a roof.. Complimentary wi/fi in a room was great especially as previous visitors reported there is only option for paid service in a room.

Browse The Marcel at Gramercy traveller photo gallery