Reviews of Marina Inn 2 stars

3110 Octavia Street, Marina District, San Francisco, CA 94123, USA

#16 of 19 B&Bs and Inns in San Francisco

5.9

• Queen Room

Room was next to the highway and no double glazed windows, so if you are a light sleeper, I would avoid this hotel. Room could be more tidy and clean The shower in the bathroom was very low and un-adjustable, so if you are tall, you will have to bend the whole time.

Location is very good.

• Queen Room

No air no screens in windows. Bird poop everywhere, no room service one of the days, it was a sweat box . It was old dirty nasty. Bed springs were squeaky and nasty. Employees were scary. Felt like we were in a brother at times.

Nothing overpriced. Dumpy. Unfriendly, we paid for three nights but only stayed for two nights. Unexceptabke accomodations. Nothing like the listing other than the wallpaper. We lost so much money on thi s deal,

• Queen Room

It was very basic accommodation. Both myself and my partner broke out in hives after the first night or 2 staying there so we're worried about bed bugs. Breakfast was extremely basic - just a booked egg and toast.

Location was good

• Queen Room

Shower was really bad, and the whole bathroom was really old. But for this price we pay, it was fair. They don´t have parking, and to get a spot in the street every night was challenging.

The place is really old, but the location is awesome. The room was warm and quiet.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Very dated. No fridge in our first room. No AC so we moved rooms. Worst coffee ever!

Staff was nice. Changed our room when requested. Good location. Good for the price. Beds were comfortable

• Queen Room

No aircon! Breakfast ok, but breakfast room too small for the number of rooms/guests

Harbour front a 10 minute walk away, restaurants and bars nearby.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The fourth floor was very warm to sleep..the floor fan worked hard but was no match for the heat!

Loved that we were in walking distance to pretty much anything! Great location!

• Queen Room

First room we were given was horrendous! Dead bird outside the window. Filthy dirty. Ripped up carpet. Heating on full. Fan filled with inches of dust. A true nightmare. Think it was room 327? Was devastated! Complained and eventually got room 411,much nicer,clean although still dated and the whole place needs updating!

• Queen Room

The customer service upon checking in was terrible, the girl was so rude it was like you could tell she didn’t like her job, the sheets were stained, and the privacy is SO minimal. Not to mention the location is not the best. The whole hotel seemed very dirty

The shower head

• Queen Room

The toilets flushing, at least in our room, was rough. You had to hold the handle down for a minute before everything was gone. I appreciate free breakfast anywhere we stay, but this breakfast was super minimal. Don’t expect much, just bananas, yogurts, coffee and hard boiled eggs, but it was a good snack for the morning. Hahahaha, also our TV LITERALLY only have one channel. Not even the manual channel button on the TV would let you escape the Naked and Afraid marathons. I hope Steve made it all 21 days!

Our room was cool. Pretty simple. We only stayed two nights so it was perfect for somewhere to just sleep. The counter staff was friendly and they let us keep our luggage on site even after we checked out so we could spend our last day exploring before flying out which was really awesome!

• Queen Room

Cons - Room was dirty - needs general cleaning and renovation. I couldn't use the desk because there was no electric socket near by.

Pros - Location was really nice. WiFi was strong. Breakfast was average.

• Queen Room

After reading the reviews, I knew that the place is noisy: windows are poorly insulated and if your room faces Lombard street, there is no way you will get a good sleep. It was exactly like that. Someone in the neighboring room was constantly watching TV (very loudly). The breakfast (as expected) was also not very nice, but it is typical to such hotels in SF.

I chose the place primarily because of its location: super close to Fort Mason and piers. The area around seems safe and I could walk alone in the late evenings. Many places to eat on Chestnut str.

• Queen Room

Front rooms are really noisy due to Lomard Street traffic. Rooms could do with an upgrade - mattresses have sunk, blinds covering window broken - especially the bathroom - sinks have chips. Breakfast consist of tea, coffee, hard boiled eggs, toast/bread, little packs of butter and jam, plus yogurts, with bananas on most days. No communal area away from reception/front door after breakfast rooms close at 10am.

Really lovely receptionist lady who was very helpful. Great location by the marina and close to transport and a supermarket.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Dirty. As in sink stained, carpet and radiator hadn’t been cleaned for at least a couple of years. Wifi not working most of the stay. TV showed no channels as it only worked on analogue. No kettle / tea making facilities in room. Blinds broken and dirty. And when we went to reception to complain about the wifi the receptionist wasn’t there for several minutes and when she did appear she was in the middle of having her hair dyed... £100 a night for a poor experience. Plus when we were there the hotel was advertising rooms at a significantly lower price. Really don’t think we will use booking.com on trips to the US based on this experience.

Location. Some of the staff were helpful.

• Queen Room

The overall conditions of the room need to be improved. Even for the very manageable pricing,the room was disappointing.

I liked the size of the room and the location. The girl who was there when I arrived was very nice and helpful.

• Deluxe Queen Room

We seriously debated calling the health department. We are also sure the sheets were not changed from the previous guest as they were wrinkled only in the places where someone would sleep. I couldn't rate the checkout experience as we were charged for the entire 2 nights stay when we checked in, which there was no one at the counter for over 5 minutes. The first room we were in was filthy! There was a mark on the side of the tub which could have been blood. I got a piece of paper with water on it, and it came off. Disgusting! In the second room, there was a piece of gum on the floor which I stepped on and it stuck to my shoe. There was a dead wasp on the floor and the wall next to the toilet was covered in urine splatter! I never saw evidence in any room of a vacuum having been used. All the upholstery on all chairs and bedspreads were filthy and stained.The common areas were just as badly taken care of. Carpets filthy with holes walls filthy. I could go on for quite a while, but I will stop here. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone but the health department.

The only positive thing I will say is the girl in the daytime, Suzitta, I think her name was, she tried to help us by getting a different room and by bringing us an extra blanket.

• Queen Room

The staff wasn’t welcoming, the room was stuffy and windows didn’t open, no ventilation in the bathroom and bathroom wasn’t entirely clean. Bathroom in the lobby was also dirty with no soap or hand towels or dryer

The area

• Queen Room

Rooms very old and run down. Holes in wall and wall paper ripped. Bathroom with missing floor tiles and mold in shower. Carpet was tore in places.

• Queen Room

Old, dirty facilities. Room was dated, small and dirty. Bedclothes had marks/stains and seemed to have a footprint on them. The staff knew better than to even ask for our opinion of our stay when we were checking out

• Deluxe Queen Room

This hotel needs to be completely renovated and staff needs to be changed. Tried calling 3 times before I got an answer when I was trying to check in. Property has not been updated since the 90s

The location on Lombard was great. Pretty much nothing else.

• Queen Room

Shower is not for tall people Dirty towels Had to wait 10 min for Check out (No staff at reception) Breakfast is poor (you have to ask for refilling food)

Location is good

• Deluxe Queen Room

Parking is terrible. (I actually got a ticket) I won’t blame the hotel for that though. If you drive around and come back late at night looking for parking spot, good luck. We had to ask twice for face towels. Continental breakfast is just toast,hard-boiled eggs and juice. Rooms have no microwave. Some have refrigerators and some don’t so you better ask in advance.

Location was good. Able to walk to fisherman’s wharf. Lots of places to eat around the area.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The building is run down and dirty. Facilities in the room are basic. We thought we would have a seating area, we got a window ledge. The breakfast was appalling. It consists of over cooked boiled eggs, toast, yoghurt and bananas! I would not recommend this hotel for your stay in San Francisco

The bed was comfortable. That is the only positive

• Deluxe Queen Room

Initially placed us in a room that was dated/dingy but promptly moved us to a bigger room with a view when we expressed our displeasure w initial accommodation. Staff on site was very professional and courteous at all times.

Big bay windows that opened to breeze. Could see bay from our room!

• Queen Room

Dirty dirty dirty carpet!!!!!!!

Great value, but even with that, they really need to tear up the carpet and install new ones. Breakfast was the same everyday, but with the value i could live with it. Location was awesome.

• Queen Room

The complimentary breakfast could have been a little more generous....some muffins or croissants instead of dry toast would have been nice.

Pillows nice and bed comfy. Our room cornered on 2 Highways, so there was considerable traffic noise. That is to be expected I guess.

• Queen Room

The breakfast didn't have anything other than hard boiled eggs and bread. There wasn't always someone there, and two mornings people had to request dishes to be washed in order to have dishes to use. The juice was not very cold, and my friend said the coffee wasn't very good either. In order to advertise breakfast included, there should be options for people to choose from first and foremost. The walls of our room were very thin, and we could hear conversations amongst other intimate noises that kept us awake for hours at night. I had requested a room on the quiet side, as I had read reviews from others regarding street noise. I called the day before and spoke with the front desk clerk who looked and assured me that would be the case. When we were checked in, we were given a room right on the street. The box to the elevator button was coming off the wall, there was some white powder substance spilled in the hall the first day that we were there, and it was never cleaned up. Our sheets weren't changed, and we were there for 4 days. We had to request another wash cloth, because there was only one in the room. The refrigerator wasn't plugged in when we arrived, so the items we had placed inside upon arrival were room temperature. The television had no cable when we went to look for the weather channel one morning. Overall, if you are just looking for a place to sleep while you run around town for a weekend, this will do.

The location was ideal, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The boutique bread and breakfast look of the inn was nice, but needed work.

• Queen Room

I heard some noise from outside the building, i think. it might have been thee noise from neighboring business. i am not sure. It was not so bad. it did not wake me up, but after being awake, i could hear the sounds of high pressure water, or something.

Very nice staff. Very clean. Good continental breakfast. Very comfortable rooms. great location to see the top tourist locations in San Fran.

• Queen Room

Whole place is very outdated and run down, window wouldn't shut, walls were thin, some staff was friendly and helpful but others were not, wallpaper ripped and tile grout was pretty gross

Location was good, breakfast was basic but exactly what we wanted

• Queen Room

The room was dirty, the staff were rude, the place was rundown and outdated. A true horror story if you ask me!

This place is DISGUSTING and that is the only word I have.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The comfort was bad, old matreses not a clean carpet , also really noisy upstairs really old and bad tv and the breakfast place was small and nothing to eat there just an egg and a bread you have to make yourself i think this hotel can be improved

Just the location

• Queen Room

I was traveling with my ten year old and the room smelt like smoke so bad we could hardly breathe in there. It was disgusting. When I mentioned it they just said, ok.

This hotel is in a great location.

• Queen Room

Accommodation, bad service, worse breakfast.

First room was not good, shower did not work, carpet was dirty. Never been to a hotel like that before. Very bad. The reason we did not leave is because they find us a little better room and they would not refund my Money. Breakfast offered is not good. They should not call it breakfast. I will never go back to that hotel and will not recommend to anyone.

• Queen Room

Very old building and rooms. It was very cold in the room and the hotel didn't have extra blankets. At check in there was nobody at the front desk, people were waiting for 20 minutes until somebody showed up.

• Queen Room

If I could give it a lesser rating than his I would. Basically, everything was bad. It was the nastiest hotel I’ve ever stayed at. The carpet was so gross I couldn’t even walk in my socks. It smelled, and the pictures on this website of the hotel are so deceiving. It is a horrible hotel. And the heater in the room( you can turn off) made it sooo hot in the room. I could hear whispers in other rooms, so basically I could hear everything all around me. Blankets and sheets hadn’t been washed because of the booger or whatever gross smears we’re still on them. Thank goodness I brought my own blankets. The bed was so uncomfortable. I’ve stayed in some cheap hotels and this has to be the worst. It wasn’t worth more than 30$ a night but I definatly paid more than u should have. Now for the parking. DO NOT EXPECT to park anywhere close to the hotel. There is like 4 parking spots in front of the hotel and nothing is ever open. We drive around for 1 hour to find parking relatively close ( 2 blocks away). It was an all around horrible experience. Don’t stay here. Please spend a couple extra dollars and stay in a nicer place. Or stay at motel 6. I never leave a bad review anywhere but this was one of my top worst experiences.

It was close to the water but nothing was good about the hotel.

• Queen Room

The room was very noisy, as the windows were facing a busy road. The breakfast was a joke with plastic cutlery and plates, which was basically a toast with butter and boiled egg. The common areas in the hotel were dirty and the cleaners did not respect the "do not disturb" sign on the door in the morning on the day of check-out (at around 9am, while check-out is at noon).

The room size was relatively big compared to other budget hotels in San Francisco. Close proximity to Union street, which is a nice residential neighbourhood with yoga studios, restaurants and health food shops.

• Queen Room

Unpleasant, dirty and old. Nothing like the photoes.

Needs a lot of work in this hotel, major work, everything is old and should be replaced. Kitchen staffs are nice, but the men in the front were not much of helpful.

• Deluxe Queen Room

I first stayed at the Marina Inn about 25 years ago and it was very well maintained, clean, and the "breakfast" setting and offerings were excellent. Unfortunately, this property has not been maintained well in all categories.

Front desk was helpful. The location, for our purposes, was excellent.

• Queen Room

The floor felt old and dirty, my towel was pretty dirty the first day as well (it was replaced the next day though), there was a "chemical laundry" smell everywhere, some power outlets didn't seem very sturdy. The eggs in the breakfast were barely edible (their whites were orange-ish and tasted funny).

The bed was clean and comfortable, able to provide a good sleep even since the first night (which was the most important feature for me during that trip). The receptionists were nice and helpful. The internet was OK without too many problems (though it's still likely better to buy a prepaid mobile one). The neighborhood is quiet and feels safe.

• Queen Room

Noise from road - dodgy & single pane windows. Toilet & shower tap somewhat faulty - water leaking through tap so hard to get appropriate temp. Toilet water stopped flushing, had to unstick the water inlet valve.

Location, price, decent area

• Queen Room

Carpets were filthy, towels and linens were marked, heater didn’t work, ants crawled on us in the night. Windows didn’t seal properly so very bad noise from busy street. Staff were not helpful. We ended up leaving a day early and paid for another hotel!

• Deluxe Queen Room

This business took an imprint of my card...yes, a physical imprint like the old days on the slide machine. ONE WEEK LATER, CHASE FRAUD ALERT CALLED AND said someone is using my account information in CA for wire transfers and retail purchases....go figure. Is this a coincidence? I w as uncomfortable when they took the imprint but what was I supposed to do checking in from out of state at 11:30 at night with my daughter? Floors were dirty and stained, not just the room but throughout.

• Queen Room

The hotel was very old. Carpets were seriously stained & the entire place needs a paint job. Complete overhaul required. Sheets & pillow cases in my room were dirty/stained. New ones provided upon my request were stained as well.

Location was great. Walking distance to attractions, restaurants & shopping. Staff was friendly & accommodating.

• Queen Room

It is a pretty old hotel that needs renovation, even the television is old(box), they also need to work on their cleanliness and changing the old dusty dirty floor moquette, honestly it is over rated and expensive for what it is. The baddest part of it was the thin walls and ceilings, there was a night that we could not sleep cause the couple above us were having sex all night long and we could hear everything, so you can imagine from the squeaky bed sound to the screams... Luckily they only rented the room for just one night and left in the morning, but still we could hear every step or conversation that was going on in any room that surrounded us. Bottom line reserve a room in the highest floor and go easy on your neighbor underneath you cause he/she will hear every move you will make.

Great location, perfect for tourist, near all the good restaurants of marina district and a 20 minute walk to the marina and the fisherman’s wharf.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The property is beat up. Not just old but also with some disrepair. Several electriical outlets didn't work. When I turned on the shower, the shower head came off.

Good location, nice stafff, good elevator

• Queen Room

Sheets were dirty, toilet didn’t stop running, had to park in a parking garage that was 4-5 blocks down the street for $28 a night, online says street parking available, but there’s about 3 spots available. someone called and complained our tv was loud even though we could barley hear it. Walls are too thin.

• Queen Room

Toilet was dirty with someone else's fecal matter. TV did not work at first. Front counter person had to come up and reset. NO wash rags. Holes in the carpet

• Deluxe Queen Room

Room was hot and one of the two fans (the biggest one) barely blew out any air. We had to keep the window open so it wouldn’t get too hot. Was never notified heater would be on

How close to the warf it was

• Queen Room

Dated bathroom and not really clean, general feeling of unkempt. Needs a bit of tlc

Friendly staff, comfy bed and warm after a day out in the cold wind

• Deluxe Queen Room

The breakfast is just bread with butter and jelly and hard boiled eggs. Pretty much.

The location is great near Fishermen’s Wharf, restaurants and shops on Union str.

• Queen Room

It's on 6-line Lombard street which is very noisy 24/7. Windows are too thin to isolate this noise. WORST breakfast in my life - bread, butter, jam, juice, yoghurt, bananas and boiled eggs. Nothing else.

Relative closer to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf

• Deluxe Queen Room

The showers didn't really have much pressure. It was a bit dissapointing not having the most comfortable shower. Also the TV only had one channel haha, couldn't change the channel.

The service was really good and chill! Such a good room to stay at for the price of it. Definitely recommend, and definitely worth the money.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Bed base worn and dirty. No heat in room - I had to wear a winter coat much of the time, and there was no extra blanket for the bed. No washcloths available. Breakfast was disappointing: the same toast, banana, hard boiled egg and yogurt every morning. And coffee was available only when breakfast was being served - hard on visitors from earlier time zones.

Windows and room's corner location were wonderful! Chair comfy. Plenty of coat hangers. The place smells nice.

• Queen Room

Everything except check Out. Check in was a terrible experience, hard to find a place to park without proper front desk instructions, which was not given, dirty appearance, and unkept. Parking on street only & very limited to where to park. Shower was not working properly and room smelled damp & was dirty. Couldn’t get heater off & standing fan was caked with dust. Poor breakfast.

The checkout person was friendly.

• Queen Room

We got into the room and it was like walking into a worm down closet. The carpet was torn in places and very worn. The rooms are very out dated.Also, the sound of a running toilet and elevator mechanics kept me up half of the night. I had to keep the window open because there was no air. We had a reservation for 2 nights but couldn't stand the thought of staying another night. We ended up leaving first thing in the morning and tried to see if we could talk to a manager to complain and possibly try to get our money back for the next night. The person at the front desk couldn't help us and said that the manager wouldn't be there until 4. So we called at 4 and they said he/she still wasnt there so we left our name and number to have them call us. We never got a call. This was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel.

• Queen Room

I didn’t like the room, it wasn’t clean, it was small and it smelled like if the windows had never been opened. The bed sheets and towels had dirty spots and even if we ask to change them, they didn’t do it. The breakfast was included but it consists of some bread slices, jam, butter, yogurt.

I liked the location

• Queen Room

All pillowcases were dirty as well as the throw pillows. Mentioned this to front desk and it appeared that they changed the throw pillows but not the pillowcases. Also had odd lumps under carpet and one crusty area of carpet that had either had something spilled on it or some sort of chemical damage

Location was fantastic

• Queen Room

Just there's no parking around the area got to find one close to motel

The hospitality that people give you coming in and when you leave the staff makes the place very good people

• Queen Room

Filed complaint to BBB. Hotel supervisor did not respond to complaint about unsafe lamp, loose door... despite promise on the day of check out 1/22 that someone will respond to me

N/a

If your looking to book a decent hotel from fishier men wharf for a good price, This is the place! Came here yesterday for our valentine with our 11 month year old son and it was great!

• Queen Room

Bathroom was extremely disgusting with yellow stains on the toilet seat. Bathtub was dirty and looked extremely old. The sink was semi clean but the washcloth they had to dry your hands smelled really bad. The bed screeched and it seemed like the mattress coils were going to pop out. I honestly woke up several times during the night thinking I would find mice walking around. Didn’t find any at the end but I’m pretty sure they are there given the sanitary conditions of the room.

The only good thing about this motel was that the gentleman who helped us check in was very friendly.

• Queen Room

The place needs a bit of renovation maybe, carpeting, shower heads, TV, a little dated, but aside from that I would STILL recommend this place if you’re spending the weekend+ in SF.

Comfortable beds,room clean enough to sleep, good neighborhood. Price was reasonable for the location and it was close to most attractions! Easy check-in & checkout. I would stay here again.

• Deluxe Queen Room

there was vomit that was outside our window on the flat roof leading from the window cill it had been there for sometime and there was an awful lot of dust on top off the wardrobe and mirror other than that room was perfect for our needs.

staff very friendly and lent us there own kettle for the duration of our stay

• Deluxe Queen Room

I stay here often, but parking can be a challenge especially at night time. When booking it states that breakfast fees are included in the stay. Breakfast is white/wheat toast , hard boiled eggs, and yogurt. Drinks; water, milk, coffee. orange juice. I would like to see more options of food in the future.

The smell and cleaness when entering the rooms are always pleasant. Beds are comfortable and clean. Cable Tv with guide to choose many channels. (Though I believe there should be instructions on how to operate the remote, up and down buttons are the numbers 2 and 8 on the remote. ) The first day of our arrival I didn't know how to change the channel on the Tv but the nice man in front came up to our room and helped my wife and I out. He was very nice. The rooms are a little outdated, but very comfortable to stay in. I also love the location, I don't need to worry about my car getting broken into.

• Queen Room

There is no parking onsite. It is street parking only with 2 hour limits during the day and due to street cleaning there are days you cant park at certain times. Internet works when it wants to. No fridge in room. Wasnt told about the ice machine so my husbands insulin wasnt able to ne kept cool. Can not check in until 2pm even when you arrive at 1:56pm.

The bed was comfy

• Queen Room

No parking. Dirty carpets. Looks like they haven’t been changed in decades. Bathroom towels are about the same age as the carpet. They should put some money into the place and update it.

Staff was really nice. The room served its purpose. Easy checkout.

• Queen Room

no stopper for bathtub so used a washcloth to take a bath.

basic room. plumbing worked. loud with street noise. warm day so the room was very warm since on top floor.

• Queen Room

The room was dirty, we had trash from previous tenants in our room. Bathrooms were not clean either, there was someone's hair in the bath tub. Room was in pretty bad shape, looked like the owner didn't really put too much effort in making it look nice, window frame was broken, walls were lousy painted, carpet was dirty.

The location is great.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Not a lot. It was quite pleasant :)

The space in the room was adequate for 2 people. There was a cd and dvd player that could be used as well which made the stay better.

• Queen Room

The fact that this is a bed and breakfast escaped me. I expected more than a bed and a box television, which is all You get. You can hear every word spoken by your neighbors, and smell everything they are smoking! No heat, no air, no remote control for the TV. Really wish I would’ve chosen another hotel

Good location and staff was super Helpful

• Queen Room

The faucet in the bathtub had a slow constant leak. It wasn't noisy, but I felt conscious about the water wastage.

The staff were positive, friendly and so helpful. I loved the decor of the rooms. I liked having windows that open. The bananas at breakfast were tasty.

• Queen Room

No parking had to sleep in my car for 2 hours before I got a parking spot in the morning after I got off work not too cool didn't like that

Everything okay

• Queen Room

The smoke alarm went on. It was really loud. And took them 1 hour and 30 minutes to turn it off, by taking it away. Something I could have done in 5 min instead of waiting. TV was not working, no signal in every channel.

The bed is good and location is walking distance to restaurant and bars

Same as what I liked.

I thought it's an antique hotel ... c'mon ... CRT TV and DVD player and no VCR to play my favorite VHS. It takes extraordinary effort to keep the antique look'n'feel ... or no effort at all. It's up to the person to decide ... LOL

• Queen Room

It's old and while quaint, it's a little run down. Continental breakfast was weak. Pillows flat, electrical outlets suspect. Shower h ead was for seriously short people Overall score for me 4.5 out of 10.

Location. Convenient.