Reviews of Tilden Hotel 4 stars

345 Taylor Street, Union Square, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA

#156 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

6.1

• Deluxe Queen Room

The decor in the rooms and throughout is a shambles. Specifically the black paint job. My room lights stopped working and I was moved. My new room was lacking in natural light.

It was next to a great coffee shop

• Deluxe Queen Room

No air conditioning, some may find neighborhood on the rough side, building is older.

Excellent staff, clean room, small touches of luxury, Malin and Goetz toiletries, comfortable bed, quiet, walking distance to shopping and attractions, complimentary high-quality coffee from lobby coffee shop.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Didn’t realize it was more in the tenderloin area than union square. As a 5’1” girl traveling alone, can’t say I felt safe walking around at night. Also, it seems that not all rooms are as bright as the hotel photos look.

Easy walk to Union square, trendy bars and late night eats.

• Classic Double Room

The bathroom could have been slightly larger, but the room overall was a generous size, housing two beds. Additionally, after a long day, we came back to a room that seemed somewhat warm. Turning the ceiling fan on and opening one of the windows helped to circulate airflow in the room.

The Tilden Hotel far exceeded my expectations. Comfortable sized rooms complete with cozy beds and bedding, deep soaking tub-shower combination, Malin+Goetz products, mini fridge, in-room safe, in-room Keurig with compostable coffee pods, daily complimentary coffee in the downstairs cafe, and television equipped with DirectTV- all housed in an aesthetically pleasing central location in downtown. The bathroom itself can best be described as tight, but manageable. The adjoining Douglas Room was quaint with a good selection of cocktails. BONUS: Taylor Street Coffee Shop is right next door and is great for breakfast.

• Classic Double Room

Although location is near to Union Square, the area feels rather unsafe especially at night. Also, the room is smaller than expected for 4 of us with luggages.

Room is very clean with great amenities like USB charger, bluetooth speaker, coffee/tea maker. The common area ambience is very nice, just like the pictures. They give free coffee at the hotel coffee shop next to the lobby.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Had a friend sleeping on a rollaway cot which wasn't very comfortable but that is to be expected.

Really cool spot, fun atmosphere and cool decor. The location is perfect. Gave it a 4 for value because we stayed on a night when all hotels (including this one) were extremely expensive but under normal circumstances it'd be great value. I would definitely stay there again.

• Classic Double Room

Temperature of room - consistently warm. There was a half eaten sandwich in our refrigerator upon arrival. No coffee service replaced unless asked . Clean Coffee cups and beverage cups not replaced daily. No pressure in the shower . Sink clogged. Uncomfortable beds.

Central location

• Deluxe Queen Room

Bed and pillows were hard the blankets were literally a duvet filling with a bed sheet on top. The soaps were not the best smelling but for one night it wasn’t bad

Location felt a little unsafe at times. Room wasn’t noise proof, shouting outside I would expect to not be heard was especially audible at 3am.

Love the style.

• Classic Double Room

the room was charged twice to my credit card even though I only stayed one night, and I have sent the hotel an email which they never responded.

The overall design of the common areas are nice but the guest rooms are a little bit of a let down.

The sound blocking is quite bad. I woke up at the middle of the night because the guy next door was speaking on the phone and had the tv on for hours. If it’s not because the conference venue is nearby, I won’t suggest people on business trip to stay here.

Staff are really nice and helpful.

The interior of the hotel is great and has a classic feel. My room was just fantastic. It was not only clean but comfortable and quiet. I really enjoyed the accommodations. I will be back!

• Classic Double Room

The neighborhood was not pleasant. Halfway houses and homeless camps around the corner. The rooms were very small and too warm.

The style and decor was nice. The hotel was centrally located. Staff was very friendly.

Very little in working order. TV almost unwatchable, chain to turn on overhead light broken, side table lamp broken. Promised to fix never done. No reading chair. Surly bellman. Took my bag to the room and left it turned over. Smallest elevator I have ever been on. Can't fit more than three people. Gym is a joke. It has a total of two machines and is in what was probably a closet. Nothing edible in restaurant or room service.

• Classic Double Room

In the room there is no air conditioning but only a fan at the ceiling. The only complain I have to do concerns one of the guys working at the checkin. When we arrived, after a very long trip, he told us that our rooms were still not ready and the elevator was not working but that these things would have been fixed in a short time. After one hour waiting without having any feedback from him, I went to ask to another guy , who told me that it was Sunday and they didn't know if the elevator would have been repaired.... unfortunately our room was at the seventh floor ! of course I asked him to bring my luggages upstairs and so he did! At the checkout, we ask at the same guy who was at our check-in two separate receipts for one of the rooms since it had been paid by two different credit cards but he answered that it was not be possible to do this . Actually this is the first time I've heard this in a hotel !

Nice hotel , in the city center, just two blocks from Market Street and Union square. The rooms are small but quite comfortable ( especially the beds) they offer free coffe or tea with a machine in the room and complimentary coffe and discounted prices for other food or beverages are given at the bar in the lobby. Full of bars, coffees and restaurants in the neighborhood

• Classic Double Room

Found one particular lady behind the desk to be quite unpleasant. We asked a simple question and she replied "I don't know" in a rude tone, stared at my partner as if she was thinking it's time you walk away now. She could have simply researched it or asked another member of staff whereas she couldn't have been any less bothered to help a guest. Manners doesn't cost anything.

The location and The Douglas Room. The staff of The Douglas Room were brilliant.

• Classic Double Room

Rooms are converted apartments so felt odd. No light in closet & no A/C just a fan. Dimmly lit. No views for rooms with double beds. Comfort of beds ok.

Staff was nice. Food at restaurant, though limited menu, was great. Bathrooms are cool with high end bath products & good towels. Nice hardware, clean, good shower.

No air con in room , smelt very highly of new paint ,staff weren't helpful at all didn't offer to take our bags and we also had to ask how to get to our room and it was in a very small delapitated lift .

The pillows and bed was very comfortable

• Classic Double Room

Lighting in rooms very dull Walls very thin can hear everything next door

Location location - 5 min walk to union square Modern decor in the lobby Cafe & cocktail bar in the same building - didn't go to either but they looked lovely Comfortable beds

• Classic Double Room

WiFi was slow and many times unreliable. The hotel was noisy. Air conditioning or something was always on. Not very bad, but disturbing, just to make it 8.5 instead of 10. And just an extra: Parking is a nightmare.

Overall a comfy hotel on the close to the center. Public transport is nearby. Good traffic connections. Good breakfast places close. Rooms big enough.

• Classic Double Room

Staff were very helpful with recommendations for restaurants/ bars , must see attractions , transport & shopping. All staff were extremely helpful.

very small queen bed instead of king, without prior notice is unacceptable! couldn t sleep a minute. room was smelly, an old run down property with repainting is not a renovated 4 star hotel. water stayed in the sink with extra black stuff from the drain for hours

• Classic Double Room

No AC during the hottest days of the summer 103+ deg. all weekend with a dog was concerning. If they are going to be pet friendly, they need to make sure the pets won't die upon arrival. Sink was pretty much clogged our entire stay and the shower vent had no way to turn on so the bathroom was a good 15 degrees hotter than the room after even the coldest shower due to humidity. Some staff were appropriately dressed, but there was one taller gentleman who seemed way too relaxed about his job with a disheveled suit jacket, untucked shirt and jeans at the front desk- during the daytime!

Good location to everything we needed to get to although it was a bit close to the Tenderloin.

• Classic Double Room

The elevator is super old. I wouldn't say it's anything besides the feeling of being in a more historic building.

Easy check in. The staff is friendly and the lobby is clean and beautiful.

• Classic Double Room

The hotel was in a run down part of the city with homeless beggars on every corner. It was also very expensive and not good value for money!

The hotel was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe Queen Room

It wasn't the most modern hotel, it has been there awhile... but it is clean. The people around the hotel were more of a concern. Not the S.F. I remember...

location in Union Square was great, staff was the best, very friendly and helpful! The answer to any question was "Yes we can!"

• Deluxe Queen Room

Cleanliness was good except for the black hair that was on the shower wall and another above the toilet the whole time, even though the room was serviced daily. Didn't like the coffee maker and to be given paper cups was YUK! Having said this, the coffee was nice. Couldn't get used to "creamer" in tea and coffee. UHT milk would be better but seems to be the norm in the US. Some of the shutters on the window needed maintenance.

The room was very nice and quite large. Great bar staff and restaurant food was very good. It was a bonus being able to book food, etc to the room. Good place to sit and watch the passing parade. Very handy to Union Square, cable car, etc and if you ignore the homeless people you'll be fine, just keep on walking. Reception staff were very informative regarding the many great restaurants nearby.

• Deluxe Queen Room

My room got really warm and the only way to cool it off was the ceiling fan. In the grand scheme, that wasn't a huge problem.

The staff were great. Very friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Hotel bar didn't have any of the drinks we asked for. Lift was antiquated and tiny. Only room for 2 people with suitcases. During our stay we used the stairs to 3rd floor. Had late check out but housekeeping kept trying to enter room - without knocking.

Close to Union Square and trolley car.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The walls could be thicker (I woke up at nights by my neighbours' snoring). Also there is no garden to go out and sit in (the place they call a garden is small and shaded.

Location is fantastic, room was clean and staff was nice.

• Deluxe Queen Room

No AC in the room. Booking.com rate this hotel as a 4* but the official rating is a 3*. Nothing against the hotel more so against booking.com who's excuse was that its reviews by users make it a 4*. Whether that be the case the official rating of the hotel is 3* so it's best you know what you are booking!

Great friendly staff. Had I expected to arrive at a 3* hotel then I would have been happy about the standard of the hotel! Everything was to a standard to be expected from a 3* hotel.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Part of the room is a bit dark For some reason towels and cups weren't replaced

Friendly and helpful staff Nice coffee Clean Decent size room Great location

• Deluxe Queen Room

I didn't like the fact that this hotel was rated 4 stars but was located next door to a homeless shelter. All over the streets there were people just laying there and yelling at you and trying to intimidate pedestrians. At night when I would go out to walk my dog, I didn't feel safe. I've witness prostitution, and psychiatric homeless people up and down the streets of San Francisco around this hotel. I asked the doorman about the homeless when I first walked into the hotel, they openly said they are from the psychiatric hospital down the street. When they are done getting treatment they are dumped right here and a lot of them are junkies. That was a huge red flag. With that being said we decided to stay and give it a try anyways. When we got upstairs to our room there was no ac, I have never been to a 3 Star hotel and not had ac so with this hotel being 4 Stars I was taken back. Another thing I didn't like was there was a black out in the city but only some parts of the city and our hotel was part of it. With no alarm due the power outage we missed our plans. We decided to leave the hotel with the dog to go for a long stroll around the city, when we returned the power was still out (From 11am-5:45pm). During our long walk we witness power just two block away on Market Street but was unable to enter any stores because of the dog. It was really mind boggling that this hotel 4 Star didn't have a generator but across the street you can see the Hilton (5 Stars) was the only building on the block with power. I was completely overwhelm that my phone was dead since the power went out and there was no place to charge my phone. Our whole day was wasted. My boyfriend asked if it was possible we can get a refund for the remaining days so we can check into the Hilton but was told there were no refund because this was not their fault, this was a city problem. They had an additional fee of $100 for checking out early.

Housekeepers and front staff were very kind and friendly.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Classic Double Room

Walls are paper thin. Windows don't seem to be insulated hence you hear everything from the street.

Chelsea hôtel meet Ace. Simple, clean, well located with a great cocktail bar and garden.

• Deluxe Queen Room

acoustic isolation. I woke up twice during two nights with street noise and Im a heavy sleeper. Besides, you can hear every conversation from the room next-door.

staff was nice, good hotel bar opened til 2am, with nice drinks, great location, confy, nice bed, nice decoration

• Deluxe Queen Room

Valet Parking costs 49.00/day and nearby parking is no less. That added a huge amount of money to my stay and should be published number by the hotel when booking. Very disappointing!!!!

• Deluxe Queen Room

Loud neighbors and smoked cigarettes all night smelling up the entire floor and my adjoining room. Staff did nothing and I had to check out at 4am in the morning. Manager never called or emailed as promised to deal with the room charges or credit.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

Unsafe neighborhood. Would not let my wife or children anywhere near this area. I had to run from a violent homeless person. After traveling to more than 40 countries around the world, including war zones and extreme poverty, this area of San Francisco rates as one of the most dangerous I have experienced.

Nothing was worth noting.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

I was overall very happy with my experience at the Tilden

The bed was awesome slept like a baby. The staff was very attentive and had a great attitude we will be back. Bummed we didn't get to try out the new coffee shop that was opening in a couple weeks, next time!

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

• Classic Double Room

Unsafe location in/near the Tenderloin. Accommodations were straight-forward at best. The price I paid (which is a lot) didn't match the experience.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room

Rooms are a bit small. Only parking is valet...otherwise you have to pay super high public parking fees or risk getting your car broken into by parking it on the street.

Great, big cozy bed!

• Deluxe Queen Room

NO A/C in the rooms. Just one old elevator with capacity of up to 4 people that doesn't work well for 9 floors / 110 rooms. One day we got to the hotel at 6 PM and our room wasn't clean and when we call the reception to let them know they told us that the housekeeping leaves at 5 PM, so our room stayed dirty. The next day the manager told us that our room was going to be the first one they will clean, and by 1 PM that we got back to do the check out, the room remained dirty.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• Classic Double Room

Hotel has a no smoke policy but upon our first nights stays we learned that was far from it. As we were unwinding on our first nights stay and settling in a very strong odor of weed creeped thru the cracks of the doors penetrating our room. Through out the night it was very difficult to sleep as I have asthma we had to crack open the window to vent out the awful smell. Our morning also started on the wrong side, as we were getting ready not only were we annoyed by the awful smell at night and took us a while to get rid of it but we also had to deal with someone smoking in the morning and the room also being penetrated with the stench of cigarettes. This hote just wasn't right for us so we had to relocate to a different one.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Rooms are outdated, old smelling and you could hear everything from the outsiders and the sexual activity that was coming from the next room (loud and clear)

Staff was very nice and respectable

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Classic Double Room

The only reason I didn't rate this hotel more was because I found the photos do be very deceiving. While the lobby is beautifully renovated, the rooms are not. The bathroom was tiny, carpets very old. It was not what we expected at all. Having said that it definitely wasn't the worst but I would recommend to anyone to google more.

Overall I would rate the hotel about a 6. The hotel was really clean and the staff friendly.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

THE VALET PARKING THOSE GUYS SCRATCHES MY CAR NOW I AM PAYING $300 DOLLAR HERE IN LOS ANGELES TO REMOVED THAT.

the location and the employees very nice with the guess

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Homeless people everywhere around the hotel.Scary location. No drawers in room. No tissues in room. No bathroom storage. Maid does not clean bathroom or replace drinking cups.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

There were surprised by two things. There was no microwave. I guess I've come to expect that. There was no air conditioning. We visited in beginning of November and it was unseasonably warm. We came to appreciate the ceiling fan. We were told that most hotels don't have an ac system?

The staff was super helpful. I found that Manny was the friendliest and he took time to get to know us. The location was wonderful- I specifically wanted this part of town. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean!!I appreciated a safe in the closet and when we left our phone in room after leaving for the day, they were kind enough to look for it to set our mind at ease.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Classic Queen Room

sinks so small, water spills when doing basic staff. No place to put cloths. No drawers or cupboards, Had to store everything on my suitcase only.

customer service was great

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

• Classic Queen Room

No water glasses in the bath; no wash cloths; no bath mat; no kleenex anywhere; no wall switches for lights; no light in closet; no drawers in the entire room; TV and clock radio inoperable; phone cords were in a tied knot and not useable without picking up entire phone. No emergency exits marked on back of door. Door would not close on its own, and took a 200 lb shoulder to get it done.

Water was warm. Mattress was decent.

• Classic Queen Room

Bit noisy, renovations going on should all be done now. Lift small but part of an old building. Had a couple of noisy groups shouting across the inner light well that our room looked out on.

This hotel was undergoing a total refit when we visited. The lobby was a building site & there was no access to the garden, bar or fitness suite so I can't comment on those. The room was well decorated, the bed comfy & the bathroom functioned well. Free wifi was good. There is some noise, you are in a great central location so to be expected & some noise from neighbouring rooms. You are a short few blocks from the BART, cable cars & Union Sq. plenty of bars & restaurants & breakfast dinners. Yes there are lots of homeless people in San Francisco, some sleep near this hotel (& plenty of other posher hotels), they never bothered us or made us feel unsafe. Overall this was a good value budget hotel in a pretty good location. I would use it again & hopefully all the renovations have gone to plan. Not sure why they've rebranded, it was Hotel Mark Twain on our visit & has some history to tell.

• Classic Queen Room

The guest rooms need an upgrade and some serious soundproofing. I could hear everything that took place in room next door. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.

Friendly staff and convenient location.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Renovations were still underway, so we didn't get to experience their cafe. Otherwise nothing was of concern

We stayed at the Tilden on the second day of their operation. There was still a bit of work going on in the foyer (unfortunately the cafe had yet to open), but we still had a fabulous stay. The bed was one of the comfiest I have ever slept in! Great location, comfortable room, and a lovely bathroom. The building has been decorated in a tasteful, minimalist way, letting the old building shine. I'm sure once all of the renovations are complete this will be one fabulous hotel.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

Location : don't turn right leaving the hotel, bad area, a lot of homeless people Room : bad smell, too noisy

Location : not far from union square

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Very expensive indeed and the whole of the ground floor was a noisy dusty building site with no facilities on ground floor the hotel advertised. I wish I had the nerve to ask for a refund. Room well worn , a view of a brick wall and in needof an overhaul. Most staff indifferent, one was helpful and seemed to know what he was about.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

No air conditioning; window didn't stay open; one elevator which was also used by housekeeping and contractors; the rate was borderline criminal given the hotel was under renovation

The front desk staff were helpful

• Classic Queen Room

The hotel was under construction, elevator is super small and slow. The sidewalk out front was dirty. Bathroom is super small.

The bed were comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Facts: - I arrived Oct. 01 and lobby was under construction - noisy, dirty, cold - elevator from about 1950th - check in worked, I got a key, went into the room, carpet, windows, furnitures dirty/dusty... - everything not of quality - lamps on bedside did not work - safe did not work - heater did not work - after first night I went down to the lobby and complained, that the hotel does not fit at all my expectations and is totally different from how they presented themselves in the internet and requested to check out. Answer was - not possible - you booked via booking.com - pre payed, if I check out I have to pay the full stay. They offered me instead to send a technician to check the room. I did not accept this and then they offered me an "upgrade" to another room. They promised the new room being ready at 2 pm - I had to wait till 3:30 pm to get in. Basic functionalities worked - but room is not worth the price at all. - Walls are very thin, so you hear all noises from the rooms around you. - Water takes 5 minutes to warm up in the morning - central heating does not work I complained again and said, that I wanted to talk to the manager about a price reduction. Answer was, that the manager first will be in on Tuesday. Manager was not in on Tuesday - first chance to talk to him was Wednesday evening. Not very friendly, wanted to argue, why I stayed in the hotel, when I had so heavy complaints and that a massive price reduction is not an option, as I booked and pre payed via booking.com, so I would have to handle this with them. I decided for the Mark Twain based on the pictures I have seen in booking.com and because I usually enjoy little boutique hotel. As Mark Twain hotel differs so much from any standard and also from anything they showed as pictures on the web I only can recommend - do not book this hotel!

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Classic Queen Room

The lobby was being remodeled so everything was torn apart. The elevator was old and small. We had to wait almost 20 min to exit because the stairs we're being painted and the elevator was packed

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

Hotel lobby was under construction. Was not mentioned on booking website And website is still showing pictures of lobby before it was torn up. Staff at hotel were not helpful and said "yeah we've had other hotel guests complain but offered nothing for the inconvenience!!!

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Classic Queen Room

When we booked we were not aware that the hotel would be undergoing major refurbishment works. The drilling started at 8am so we were woken up earlier than we wanted. The lobby was a building site with dust sheets everywhere. Our actual room was clean and tidy with a comfy bed although there were no draws or cupboards to put your clothes in.The bathroom was tiny.

The wifi was good. The location excellent (5 mins walk from Westfields and BART station). If there wasn't building works going on we would have been happy. There was a coffee machine, clean towels and a modern design.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Met with construcation in the lobby, which we were not expecting. No info about breakfast or garden area. Room was a good size but there was a bad smell almost the whole time we were there. Needed a good scrub.

Bed was really comfortable. Very close to union square. Staff seemed polite and friendly.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Terrible location - very very sketchy area. We checked in, got to our room, there was no bedding on the bed. Staff tried entering our room at 3am because they thought it was occupied. It was scary! There is no air conditioning so it was stuffy and hot. My recommendation: bite the bullet and spend $300 extra dollars, it's worth it.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

We were looking forward to staying at this hotel. We like to stay at boutique hotels when we travel. But, this was by far the worst hotel experience I've ever had. The guest in the adjoining room was threatening, disrespectful and rude and the hotel staff exacerbated the issue and were unhelpful and unconcerned. Our room was not completely clean, there was terrible water pressure in the shower and the mini refrigerator didn't work. We will never stay at this hotel again and we will encourage our friends and colleagues to stay at other nearby hotels and not at this hotel.

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Where to even start? This was legit the worst place i've ever stayed. So we walk in and half the place is all boarded up as they were under renovations. Which is fine, i can cope with that. No mention of a discount due to the renovations when pretty much every place i stayed under these circumstances would always offer a discount. As we enter the very basic room, i was surprised at how small it was for the price we paid. This was the most expensive accommodation in the whole month trip as it was my birthday we wanted to stay somewhere nice. So as we were settling in for the night, at 9.30pm we get a loud bang on the door. To answer to no body, we could only assume this person was complaining about my partner laughing over a funny show. This was the first indication of how thin the walls were. After only an hour or so of sleep we were woken to the next room barking like dogs. This went a while, then an argument between the couple broke out, with serious screaming and threatening each other. A third party tried to explain to the male that he was just high and needed to calm down. This screaming and then laughing, to then barking went on for hours. I called the front desk to ask them to please do something. It continued for hours, so they did nothing basically, great customer service -_-. When we went down in the morning to ask for a refund as we were not going to stay the 4 nights in these conditions. We were screwed around with the manager going to call us when he got into work, which was meant to be at 10am, we had to go back down ourselves to reception and request him at 11am. This whole process wasted our time in San Fran. In the end the manager would only refund $50 off the night we stayed, when it should have all been refunded for a sleepless night. The service was just shocking. And to think they charge people $1400 for four nights. TERRIBLE! I cannot tell you enough to NOT stay in this place.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

The shower was terrible, had a drip shower. The location was dicey, however it was close to touristy areas if that's desired. The amenities were poor, it did not feel like a cozy weekend getaway spot.

The bed was comfy and there were some cute interior designs.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Classic Queen Room

The hotel is in a good location. With San Fran there are homeless people everywhere so as a solo traveller I felt quite safe. However don't turn right out of the hotel, this is the dodgy part of town (The Tenderloin). I also had requested late check out and this was not actioned. Then I got told I had to check out at regular time giving me little time to pack and get ready. Very disappointed that my request wasn't tended to before and thus was disappointed in the end.

The rooms are very spacious, clean and the beds are great. The lights are alittle dim but not the worse thing that could happen. Love the quirkiness of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

staff cannot address the issues - the place is going through a refurbishment and personnel at reception act in a very rude and unprofessional manner

Rooms are simple and clean

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Facility was run down (although under construction) no work out room as advertised and no computer facilities breakfast area was tiny bathroom was extremely small elevator was slow and cramped

Enough pillows...beds were good

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Noisy neighbourhood (You are in the middle of the city) but you hear everything. The view is a wall from the other building.

Great Location, can Walk to restaurants, shops and public transportation. Clean and spacious for a city room. The car rental return and the hop on hop off bus stop were 1 block away.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

• Classic Queen Room

One block away from an unpleasant neighborhood. But on the other side nice streets With bars and restaurant.

Fantastic boutique hotel dedicated To Mark Twain. Very comfortable and clean room very close to Union square. Nice and accurate details in room and in the whole facility to appreciate the works of Twain

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Room was old and over sold on the website. Linen wasnt good, pillows were tiny, plumbing was terrible and noisy all night long. No floor towel in the bathroom (dangerous and slippery), no aircon or heating control, no assistance for very late flight 11:35pm (nowhere to sit or eat or drink or relax due to construction, but staff couldn't offer anything else), it was noisy with paper thin walls and closely crammed rooms, bath towels are tiny, no shower cap or tissues in the room, no light in the walk in wardrobe, staff didn't listen to simple and clear instructions, we weren't even told about the continental breakfast (we just happen to see it), way too pricey for what you get, lift is so freaking small. Also due to staff incompetence we nearly missed our tour to Muir woods. We had told the tour company our hotel and room number, the guide had come to the hotel and asked for us but the front desk staff didnt bother to call our room or let us know. So we walked downstairs just in time and asked the hotel staff if any tour guides had swung by and they said yes just recently...!? We raced down the street to find the guy but would have missed him had we not asked...how incompetent and reckless.

Location and internet

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Classic Queen Room

It was over priced. The manager was inconciderate and watched me get all my luggage and put it on the cart myself. The room was not as shown online. It smelled of paint and the lamp was broken and fell off the wall when I turned it on. There was construction going on. The manager did not help me one bit and did not care about any of the guests. There was another guest getting upset but the manager never came out because he was in a meeting.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

In the lobby there was a sign stating that inside the building dangerous materials were present and that these may cause cancer or other illnesses. It was not very reassuring. No park present and very high cost of the valet.

Armando, who works in the reception, was very nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Classic Queen Room

A lot of homeless people around the hotel. A lot of NOISE in night by guests and the surrounding area. No fitness facilities due to renovation. The breakfast is TOO CHEAP both in content and presentation (foam plates and cups) and the breakfast room is too small for the guests in rush periods.

Safety deposit box.