Reviews of Kimpton Marlowe Hotel 4 stars

25 Edwin H. Land Boulevard, East Cambridge, Cambridge, MA 02141, USA

#2 of 17 hotels in Cambridge

The devil is in the details. I stayed four nights. Free coffee maker provided upon request, but only enough coffee provided for one morning. Even after requests, additional coffee was never provided. Phone was broken in room. I let the staff know twice and they said they would fix, but again there was no follow-through. Small inconveniences and still enjoyed my stay.

Clean comfortable rooms. Beautiful decor. Kayaks and bikes available free to guests. Friendly, helpful staff. Nightly wine hour.

Breakfast on Saturday didn't start until 8--too late with my early plane.

updated facility, nice urban courtyard entranceway--ideal for enjoying the wine hour. Staff was helpful in getting a charger for my phone.

• Deluxe King Room with View

Food prices in Bambara are way too high. It used to be good value now it’s overpriced

Lovely hotel. Great staff - nothing is too much trouble, rooms are very comfortable, great value for money

The rate that was we were expected to pay for Wi-Fi was a surprise. The restaurant attached to the hotel was not nearly as elegant or exciting as the hotel itself.

This was a beautiful elegant Boutique Hotel that we got for a fantastic price. It's in the heart of one of the nicest parts of Boston. The staff was friendly, the room was gorgeous , clean cool and welcoming

• Deluxe King Room with View

Somewhat pricey, minibar items outrageously priced.

Small gym but relatively well equipped, food at the restaurant (Bamabara) is good for breakfast and dinner. Conveniently located next to a Mall with CVS pharmacy and Macys.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything requires extra payment, including water and wifi(But they had complimentary water in lobby with cups). The parking process was a little confusing cuz every entrance was blocked when I arrived and after couple of circling around I finally found one.

Everything was great!

The staff were excellent and very welcoming. The on site gym was very well appointed. The location was great, being located by the CambridgeSide Mall and within 5-10 minutes of the T.

• Deluxe King Room with View

Ugly room,not luxury and very very badly in need of an update,, too expensive for what you don’t get, not even a crossiant laid out for breakfast?

Superb customer srrvice

Was given a room with a terrible view, even after requesting for a high level floor with a nice view. The hotel didn't seem busy or sold out so they fact I was given one of the worst views in the hotel was very disappointing. We went for a special occasion and no requests were met.

Nice staff and good location.

Shower controls were very difficult. Lack of storage shelves in the bath was an issue. Need to incorporate different firmness of pillows- all to soft. Even lower quality hotels are giving you choices- firm or soft

Great people, helped however they could. Great location. lousy weather, but the hotel is connected to the Mall. Great to be able to go there without going outside. Quiet, staff reasonable about timing for cleaning room

The food was average at best. We had an extremely long wait to be served and my salad had so much dressing on it that I couldnt eat it and my pasta was overcooked and soggy. I would not eat there again.

This is a very nice place with a great location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I love the location just outside of the city but close enough to walk over to enjoy the history and great food in Boston.

It was too warm for my liking for sleeping. We were unable to lower the thermostat below 65 degrees. In fairness, I did not contact staff to see if it could be lowered as it was very late when we went to bed.

Posh vibe! Bed was so comfy! Staff was very welcoming and genuine! Served free wine and tasty bites from 5-6. Convenient to the Green line on the T.

The room service trays and glassware that sat in the hallway on my way to elevator, 6th floor were not great to look at, and were there for more than 12 hours.

Coffee was fantastic, staff were super nice, rooms and hotel in general were excellent.

• Deluxe King Room with View

There was no coffee/tea in the room. There was a major issue with Booking.com and the Hotel and several calls to the room. Also no soap/shampoo in shower. Inconvenient.

Bed was decent and the room temp well controlled. The hotel is attached (basically) to a Shopping Mall. Great neighborhood and location.

I arranged a surprise for my boyfriend (champagne and chocolate) to celebrate a special occasion with the manager prior to our stay. I was expecting it would be in the room when we checked in. However nothing was prepared ahead of time. When I then emailed to ask if it would still be arranged, the manager said it would be delivered during 3 and 4 pm (while my boyfriend was out). It was delivered at 5 pm, when my boyfriend was back in the hotel room already so it wasn’t much of a surprise. Still appreciate the effort to deliver it, but would’ve been nice to have it on time.

The staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and make sure you have everything you need. Beds are super comfortable!

Staffs were all so friendly, very genuine, and really professional! The room was excellent in terms of decoration, comfort, and cleanliness. One of the best stays I've had!

My room had a mini-bar fridge that made a loud noise intermittently at night. It made it very difficult to sleep soundly. There was also no in-room coffee, nor a coffee shop in the lobby. I had to walk to the closest Starbucks every morning. That was very inconvenient.

Overall, it was a nice hotel.

• King Room - Disability Access

We didn’t have any complaints.

The staff was amazing and so helpful/friendly. We loved the feel of the small hotel & ate in the restaurant multiple times. We loved all the dogs!

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The Hotel itself is amazing, We stay here every time we come to the Boston area. The Kimpton brand is overall phenomenal. The staff are always friendly, helpful and ready to assist with any information you may need. The rooms are immaculate, comfortable and always a welcome sight after a day out venturing the city, or to just lay your head and cry after a terrible Bruins loss!! Easy walking distance to the Garden and other attractions nearby as well as Science museum practically next door!! Pet friendly for the pooch lovers. My son and I love staying at the Marlowe!!

It's dated in terms of decor and amenities. Very well-maintained and clean, but definitely a bit dated.

Well maintained. Large rooms. Affordable parking. The staff is great - really accommodating and helpful.

Front desk staff wasn't as awesome on checkout as they were on check-in, but that's not typical. When I checked in, I was able to borrow a phone charger and get all of the toiletries I needed for an unexpected stay.

Always cozy at the Marlowe. Holiday decorations are beautiful right now.

• Deluxe King Room with View

The only complaints my boyfriend or I had were: how dry the air seemed and secondly how awwwffffuuuuul the pillows were. It was hard staying asleep all night with those pillows. They were like old feather pillows that gave no support.

We loved that it was pet friendly hotel but wish we had known before we had gotten there. We absolutely loved the pop-up Christmas bar and the happy wine hour. Also how easy and convenient it was being right there next to the mall...

The hotel bathrooms are old, wallpaper fading, I was VERY shocked that it was not modern. I thought Kimpton did new hotels only.

Nice, nice staff... The were at least 7 room service trays in the hallway and when I mentioned it they were removed. But why were there soooo many just sitting on the floor in front of different guests rooms. Who checks this? They were nice about it

There was no facility to make coffee/tea in the room. Restaurant was a nice setting but limited choice.

Staff were extremely nice and very helpful. Room was comfortable.

The staff at Kimpton Marlowe is always personable and friendly. I stayed unexpectedly, so they helped me get the toiletries I needed to get ready for the day.

The hotel was so wonderful. From the moment I walked in I felt right at home. The staff were incredibly friendly and courteous. The rooms were spotless and my entire experience at the Marlowe was fantastic. Would definitely recommend!

A very stylish hotel across the river from the centre of Boston, getting into the main areas of Boston was very easy, so if you want to be away from the centre but still want to enjoy Boston, this hotel is ideal. The hotel restaurant and bar were excellent, as were all of the staff we came into contact with.

Quality of service was excellent, rooms well designed, takin into account proximity to Boston downtown and MIT/Harvard, and available bike for rent, it is great option for casual and business visitors, highly recommended!

The lights in the room were extremely poor -way too dim to work comfortably after sunset. It was good but just very overpriced for what it was.

I liked that the room was quite big and that the staff was very friendly

No literature about hotel in hotel. Didn't know what the facilities were available

The staff were attentive without being intrusive. The property was very comfortable and clean. Great location

Fantastic room- large, beautiful decor, very tasteful Great lounge with free coffee and wine tasting Only five minute walk to T station Pet-friendly

It's pet friendly so there are A LOT of dogs around. Not a problem for us, but good to keep in mind if you are allergic.

The staff was very friendly and the rooms are very comfortable and clean -- great bed! It's also conveniently located, about a 5 min can ride to Quincy market.

This is the best value hotel property in Boston- PERIOD! It was my second time visiting , last year I stayed there and loved it , so I was fearful it may have changed. It did, only it got even BETTER! What hotel do you know that offers not only a cute water bowl at the entrance for visiting pets, but dog treats next to the water, and a chalkboard to announce to the world my pet's name ! how sweet is that?Every single employee looks like they love their job, professional, always smiling, welcoming and kind. the complimentary coffee and tea (lots of fancy herbal selection as well) station is setup in the lobby quite early in the AM, very attractively, the coffee excellent. Now they even added some glass jars of dried fruits and granola to accompany your morning drink. the hotel is decorated in bright colors, warm and attractive. the beds and linens are delightful and the view of the river(if you are lucky to get that exposure ) with the lush trees bordering quite relaxing considering you are in the middle of a large city. When I got up in the morning with yoga on my mind, lo and behold ! i found a brand new, shiny yoga mat in its carrying bag in the closet- JUST WHAT I NEEDED. Now how can you beat that, really???? In a city of relatively pricey hotel rooms, their weekend rate is the best deal in town. DO NOT hesitate- just book.( specially if you are a dog lover, they are plentiful in the hotel) BTW I AM NOT A PAID SPONSOR OR BLOGGER, merely a very satisfied and grateful guest. My son will be graduating college in the spring, so I plan to book there asap to guarantee myself a room. THANK YOU KIMPTON MARLOWE

The first morning I was woken up at 7:00 am by a loud noise on the 6th floor. I went out into the hall way. It was a repairman fixing the ice machine. He kept chopping at the ice. This lasted about an hour and a half. I'm sure he woke up other guests as well. I am sure this work could have been done a little later in the morning. Not sure why it had to be done at 7:00 am.

Front desk staff was amazing

really poor ventilation in the bathroom

really nice hotel they have a gym-mat in the room so you can do a bit of work out or exercises in the room excellent idea

I do wish there had been a fridge in the room. (There is a mini-bar.)

Everything about this hotel was fantastic - comfortable bed, clean/quiet room (third floor near elevator), great location, pleasant front desk staff, and a really wonderful on site restaurant. We plan to book here again when we make our next trip to Boston.

Can’t think of anything negative. It would be nice to have free parking, but based on the comparatively lower room rates they charge it is understandable that they cannot offer that.

Every staff member we encountered was exceptionally friendly and seemed to really enjoy their jobs. Hotel’s decor was unique, everything seemed very clean, and our room was larger than expected. Would definitely recommend and will stay here when in Boston again.

• Deluxe King Room with View

I can't complain about anything!

Ive wanted to stay at Hotel Marlowe for years, because I do birthday staycations, so I said: this is the year! Im SO GLAD I did!!! Everyone was so nice; from the door man to the front desk to the restaurant/bar employees! I had my birthday dinner at Bambara & the chef came to the table to wish me a happy birthday! The food was AMAZING! Everyone working at Bambara was great. I went for drinks the second night and Rob the bartender even remembered my drink of choice, and told me and my boyfriend funny stories and was funny and awesome! The room was beautiful, with a view to die for. I will absolutely go and stay again and since it was a staycation, I can go to Bambara just to get great food and drinks! I had such a lovely birthday!

Access to bikes and the path around the river is easy access! They also have kayaks you can check out for the day! The staff was very friendly and accommodating! Great find if you get a good price!

Location was only fair, bathroom had chipped paint/wood and some minor superficial issues, and the tv was unplugged and tough to plug back in

Staff, decor, coffee/breakfast bar, bike rental

Public transportation (subway) was slow, which made for a lot of anxiety when heading for the airport.

Plenty of space. excellent breakfast very convenient to river, parks, and waterfront

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

No view from the room just looking at the other rooms Housekeeping constantly was forgetting either to bring fresh towels or restock small shampoo bottles I had to call almost every day

Bed comfort

• Deluxe King Room with View

Breakfast service was not good. Told I would have to wait an hour for room service one morning. Service was not good in restaruant, very slow. Housekeeping did not replenish toiletries. Reception staff were very friendly and efficient but rest of the service needs attention

In the morning/lunch time, the restaurant ran out of cold-pressed fruit juices.

Service was wonderful, food was good tasting, and room service was excellent. There was a lot of lively folks coming back from a concert, and it was overall a pleasant experience. I will definitely come back to stay here in Cambridge, MA for business or leisure trip.

Location is great, convenient to universities and downtown. Hotel is nice and clean, with happy surprises such as outdoor movie, free bikes and kayaks!

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

The staff was exceptionally attetive and heipful.Immediatly recovered forgotten cellphone in car;moved to a room less recently cleaned when bothered by smell of spray; other small attentions recognizedand delivered spontaneously. Thank you!

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

depends on the room you can hear the street and people at night, but nothing too bad. doors don't close hermetically so one can hear people going through korridor if they are loud.

This hotel is very well located. with a very elegant entrance very big rooms and comfortable beds. It' s not cheap, because it's really in the city but it's worth the price. Restaurant looked also very good and not expensive at all. All the staff was really really helpful and nice.

Parking in the Galleria (the mall attached to the hotel property) is a bit of a pain -- it's a huge garage and, while easy to get into, arduous to get out of.

The location is fine if you don't mind getting around Cambridge by car, or if you want to be in Boston, which it is close to. It's a long walk to MIT, or a short drive to Harvard.

• Deluxe King Room with View

on a hot day I noticed it was a lack of cold water everywhere in the hotel. I asked the doorman about water and he just shrugged his shoulders and looked past me. Young man with a bad attitude was the only negative on the whole state.

The location and proximity to other activities.

• King Room - Disability Access

would be nicer to have buffet breakfast if possible.

Location next to the shopping mall is great to have especially when weather is bad. Also walking distance to the river cruise and duck tour

The room was not worth the price. When we pulled up to the hotel the valet asked us if we were lost.

Was charged an additional $25.00 after checkout and given no explanation. We left the room clean and did not take anything.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

we liked the hotel very much however they use a lot of bleach to clean the room. this is why I rated the comfort and cleanliness at the bottom of the scale. It affected my breathing considerably. When we returned home all or our clothing reeked of chlorine, much like a bathing suit will after being in a swimming pool. We were there 2 nights and the vapors penetrated all my clothes. I mentioned it to the staff at the front desk and they seemed unconcerned. there is a lot to recommend about this hotel but based on this we will not return. too bad. we have stayed there before years ago and enjoyed it.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

No coffee maker in the room, had to go downstairs in the morning to get a free coffee/tea. After that you had to purchase a coffee in the restaurant

Food in restaurant is amazing. Beds are very comfortable. Short walk to the subway.

A shuttle to downtown Boston. It was a bit of a long walk.

The hotel has an elegance about it but the not the price that goes with it. The decor was very tasteful. The staff, ALL of them, were outstanding!! They were friendly, very helpful and accommodating. It was such a nice touch that there is a "wine" hour from 5-6pm each day. Loved that bikes were available at no charge to guests. We used the bikes for 2 days and it was a fantastic way to see the city.

We were very satisfied.

Staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. Valet was also terrific as we had and over size vehicle and they took extra care to find and place to part it during our stay. Property abuts a canal off the Charles River with a small park (great for dogs). Easy access to MBTA but using Uber for 4 of us was fast, easy and economical. It is also very close to Science Museum, MIT. Also the Galleria is practically next door for upscale shopping.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Friendly reception staff. Free glass of wine between 5 and 6pm. Location- 20 minute walk into town or easy to take the train from Lechmere station. Local restaurants Thai and Afghan very good. Hotel is next to a shopping Mall which was handy.

Best Grilled Cheese and Tomato soup - evah! Liked seeing the dogs in the lobby! We didn't take advantage of it but the afternoon Wine in the lobby was a nice touch!

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

• Deluxe King Room with View

Light sleeper, so I had to unplug the fridge as it made a loud noise - that was an easily fixable and small nuisance, though.

The room was well set up for a business traveler, yet relaxed - fast and reliable WiFi meant I could partake in VCs from the room, with a stunning skyline in the background.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

I made a reservation for a group for a conference last minute because of a snowstorm. The staff reached out to me, and although I was technically supposed to go through another avenue to book a group, they worked with me to ensure that the conference participants would be safely housed. I really appreciate the time and attention the Kimpton Marlowe Hotel staff expended on us.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Restaurant times , food not always available, also more signage to educate guests on alternate locations to eat/ shop within walking distance. I did not know there was a mall nearby until we were leaving. This would have been very helpful

Staff

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Could leave make up remover cloths in bathroom, hate to ruin nice wash cloths.

Love this hotel, treated like royalty both times we've stayed. Beautiful rooms, excellent views!

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

getting the WiFi to work was way too time-consuming.

Extraordinary service by every member of the staff. We arrived at 6:00pm, just as the free wine hour was concluding. I said I guess we are out of luck, and the hostess replied, "no, I'll get you a couple of glasses, but this is all the wine I have left." Then the barman overheard her and said "let me get another bottle for them," and he did, including getting another glass when my son joined us. They they gave us three free vouchers for wine at the hotel bar if we wanted a second drink. This was typical of our experience, every part of our stay, from the doorman to the check-in staff to the house maids. EVERYONE went the extra step to see we had a good experience. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Boston after this experience. Free coffee, free bikes, perfectly clean rooms, etc.And with he genius discount, our room was only $121 plus taxes!

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

My neck is problematic and the pillows on the bed provided no real support. I ended up folding bath towels and putting a pillow case over them, which wasn't great for comfort but kept me from being in pain.

Restaurant on first floor was well above average. Excellent oysters, and a close-to perfect martini!

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

The shower in our ADA room was not the best(no pressure and not easily adjustable). Beds were not the most comfortable, but not terrible.

Staff was friendly, the room was clean. Everything was wheelchair accessible. Very convenient location. The parking garage was shared with a shopping mall so if you are tired or don't have a lot of time, you can go eat quick without going into the cold. We did not eat at the restaurant but it looked very nice.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Needed a phone charger and was able to use one. Staff is helpful and went out of their way to help me. I was able to get taxis to and from the hospital where my husband was critically ill.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

We have been to the Marlowe before though not in a few years. Before, the place felt magical. The employees were even better before- they called you by name as you walked thru the lobby, and the place was decorated less chic and more ritzy-fun. I recall how I laughed at the 12 inch fringe on the ottoman in front of the fireplace. The ottoman is still there, but the fringe is gone. Although we arrived Thanksgiving evening and we left the hotel in search of Italian food, no employee asked us how was our meal-all they did was recommend we eat in their restaurant. Wi-fi is only free now to Marlowe members-you must sign up b4 your stay or you are out of luck. Fortunately, I had already signed up. I loved loved LOVED the Marlowe when I was there in 2011. I would try them again, but they would have to dramatically improve for me to keep coming back. The Marlowe is supposed to be a boutique hotel. Oh how quickly thei magic has faded into dust and they have joined the ranks of the corporate!

It is a nice hotel. Very nice. Very clean. The employees are professional. The sculpture in the circle drive is interesting. Seeing pets around the place is heart warming.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

We were visiting our daughter at MIT and it was fun to stay by East Campus. Also, the bed was, indeed, like a CLOUD. I have never slept so well; not even at home. The staff was terrific.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

No luggage stand in the room. I don't like putting my dirty suitcase on a clean bed on which I'm going to be sleeping. But someone came in to change the menu and brought me one. Had a lovely conversation with him.

Loved the living room and refreshments. Staff were wonderful, greeting me everyone I came in or out of elevator. Thought the pet setup outside was very sweet.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

some snacks w drinks in the lobby, especially at breakfast; cold drinks, coffee, and tea at the same time during the day in the lobby

good meals in Bambara, including for kids; gifts for kids at check-in; yoga mat in room; view; evening reception

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

The pillows were too stiff and uncomfortable. In the restaurant for breakfast, our toast and coffee were cold on delivery.

The staff was outstanding, from the valet to the front desk crew. They knew it was our anniversary and went all out in delivering surprise treats to our room. Everyone was super nice and helpful. The room was lovely and quiet. The location of the hotel was great.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

For a premium price, I would expect wifi. Would like to see a book in the room about attractions and dining in the area.

Convenient to the shopping mall. Desk staff was very helpful in making dinner reservations.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Even though it is a difficult location for parking I was upset that we had to wait a half hour to get out car after paying for valley parking. I won't park there next time I stay because of that. Uber showed up within five minutes so it's easy to get around without a car.

I liked the atmosphere... It was a bit quirky and different, but that made it more interesting than just white sheets and tan walls.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Less noise from neighbours! Dogs and people. The location was a bit out of the way for exploring either Boston or Cambridge.

The bed was divine! Funky decor and good sized rooms.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

The price seems too high, but I know that it is expensive to stay in Boston.

Very comfortable, welcoming and tastefully done. Very friendly staff; like the wine reception.