Reviews of Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC 3 stars

625 South Ashland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60607, USA

#120 of 146 hotels in Chicago

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

the staff made the stay!

the pillows were a bit stiff, and there was a plate left outside our room that was not ours.

the staff made the stay! from the time we got there to the time we left everyone was wonderful.

Issues with the initial check in were handled with care and...
    • King or Double Room

the rates of parking and the amount of extra money being charged just for the option of paying with cash.

Issues with the initial check in were handled with care and consideration.

The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to...
    • King or Double Room

Hotels are expensive in Chicago, and that takes some getting used to.

The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to accommodate me and my autistic son.

Very close to our wedding venue
    • King or Double Room

I asked the hotel staff if the shuttle would be able to take us to our wedding venue and they told us “yes” when we checked in. I called again as we were getting to leave for my son’s wedding to ask how often the shuttle runs and was told they couldn’t take us to the venue because it was outside of the one mile radius. We weren’t very happy with the conflicting answers, so we decided to drive. At the wedding we found out that the hotel had given other guests a ride to the venue! Very disappointed!!! The staff needs to be on the same page!

Very close to our wedding venue

We had a pleasant stay and would book there again.
    • King or Double Room

Bathroom door didn't lock. The sleeper sofa was uncomfortable. We had to request more towels as we were only given two sets for three people.

The room was clean, nice and the king bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was attractive. We really appreciated the shuttle service and found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Checking in and out was quick and easy.

Chicago stay
    • King or Double Room

The pull out bed did not have clean sheets. The shuttle service was unreliable. When the shuttle was unavailable, so was the valet parking.

Bed was comfortable.

Frustrating, disappointed, and won't stay here again,
    • King or Double Room

Front desk employees are lacking in customer service which surprised me for the type of hotel they are. Be sure to check every detail of the services they provide. Was told they picked up from Union Stations just call when we got in. After arriving at 11:00 pm because our train was delayed I called and was told they only pick up from another train station. The front desk played the blame game and said was reservations fault for the wrong info. The front desk manager was on a "very important call" and was unable to speak with us. Then there were problems with the shuttle and ended up walking to the medical district. We won't be staying there again,

Room was nice, and in a safe area and close to medical district,

This hotel is in the perfect location for our needs.
    • King or Double Room

The thermostat in the room did not work....we were freezing, despite warm temps outside.

This hotel is in the perfect location for our needs. The room was spacious and comfortable. Our only complaint was the heating/cooling system. It was freezing in our room, despite attempts to warm it to 70 degrees. Had we needed to stay another night, we would have needed to have that addressed.

The shuttle service was extremely useful and convenient.
    • King or Double Room

The in room menu didn't match hours with the actual hotel restaurant.

The shuttle service was extremely useful and convenient. The drivers were also very friendly.

My stay was comfortable, but extremely expensive for the beds that I didn’t get.
    • King or Double Room

The beds on my reservation wasn’t respected. I ask for 2 quin beds and I got a king bed and a sofa. My mother decided to sleep on the sofa ( because we didn’t get the quin beds) and she had a terrible night, she had a very hard time to fallen asleep, not to mention that she got back aches the next couple of days. The price was so expensive I couldn’t even use the shampoo, conditioner and things in the bathroom or even drink the coffe because I was afraid that I had to pay so much for it. The parking was even more expensive, but they had an alternative.

The room was so clean, big enough and the modernism of it. I love ❤️ the fact that I controled the temperature. The bathroom was so big and comfortable. I loved the lighting, the privacy and the silence of the room.

The staff was amazing
    • King or Double Room

Our room had clearly not been cleaned well...there was dirty clothes from the previous people in a drawer, pepperoni on the floor and the floor in the bathroom had not been mopped.

The staff was amazing

The bed was super comfy!
    • King or Double Room

I was unaware of the cost of parking, that was a suprise when we got there.

The bed was super comfy! Staff was very friendly, especially Patrick!! He made waiting for the shuttle to the concert fun.

There was no Breakfast Buffet as stated, the buffet only...
    • King or Double Room

There was no Breakfast Buffet as stated, the buffet only covers 2 people even though you might book a room with more, the employees were not very nice, nor empathetic. The butlers were great but the rest were not very interested in meeting the customer's expectations.

Everything else.
    • King or Double Room

No free breakfast unless u pay ahead when u book. No heads up on it though... no regular parking. Only valet, 55.00 a day.

Everything else. Can connect to all your streaming services through tv. Logs u out when u check ou

Need more breakfast staff.

More wait staff

Need more breakfast staff. They did a great job but were totally understaffed. If we had been in a hurry, it would have been a real problem

Great place. Terrible restaurant service.
    • King or Double Room

There appeared to be only one wait staff in the restaurant at 8:30 on a Sunday morning. I waited at least 10 minutes for a to go coffee, and finally had to leave without being waited on.

Great check in and out staff. Great room. Great shower.

It was a short stay but the service was great and the appearance of the hotel was outstanding.
    • King or Double Room

We were only there over night but for the short lenght of time we were there, we loved it and have no complaints.

We didn’t eat in the restaurant at the hotel.

Outstanding bellman staff - beautiful rooms - GREAT location!
    • King or Double Room

No garbage can in the room. Overnight parking, especially for guests is a bit steep. ($55) Only 1 coffee in the room. All that said, we would stay again - if we're dropped off and don't have a car over night.

Great location. Bellman and valet staff was outstanding (PATRICK!) Loved the use of the free shuttle to the United Center! The room renovations are beautiful!

The room was very comfortable and clean and the hotel was...
    • King or Double Room

I wish I had known more upfront that the only available parking was valet and $55/ day. This made the rate not as good of a “deal” as I thought.

The room was very comfortable and clean and the hotel was quiet. Staff was wonderful- friendly and helpful!

Overall, I was very pleased.
    • King or Double Room

Front Desk and Valet service should have been better staffed for peak time while guests are departing for event. Disappointing that the bar was closed after returning from our event. This was one of the perks of booking this hotel so we could come back and enjoy a cocktail after the event without going elsewhere in the city.

Amazing. We will absolutely be back.
    • King or Double Room

Everyone was extremely nice and made everything great. There were so many "extras" (shuttle, upgraded room, exc....) that we had no idea were apart of the stay. It was great!

Not as good as I hoped and I would try another place before I would stay there again.
    • King or Double Room

Had to pay extra for parking. It was 50 dollars for valet or 20 at the off site parking ramp which the website was not very clear about. The walls were not very sounds proof. Could hear the neighbors having conversations. Didn't sleep much because of it. Room smelled musty when the heater would turn on. Room 327.

Staff was friendly. Bed was comfortable. Great water pressure in the shower. Food was good.

An overpriced under serviced stay location was only good thing.
    • King or Double Room

The tv didn’t work and called repeatedly for assistance and none came, the room booked was supposed to be either a king size bed or two queen sized beds but we got two full sized beds and staff simply said that’s what you reserved and didn’t offer any help. Staff were rude and unhelpful and everything was overpriced even the mediocre breakfast.

The room was clean and stocked, easy to find and accessible.

It was great
    • King or Double Room

Your parking is $50 a day!!! Didn't say that in the website ... We had to park Infront where the hospital parking is

Very comfortable bed, the staff was very friendly . We were going to a concert so the valet guy told us we could park Infront where the hospital is for way cheaper!!!

Great place to stay if you're going to the United center.
    • King or Double Room

The only downside is this hotel doesn't have a pool or but tub.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel was well maintained and very clean.

Would stay again for sure!
    • King or Double Room

The shuttle dropped us off at the United Center. My husband is handicap and is using a walker. We were there for a concert. It would’ve been nice to be dropped off right in front of the United Center. Instead, my husband had to walk a pretty far distance to the building and even further, for the pickup back to the hotel, and it was cold!

Restaraunt staff was super nice and also Lucas with the shuttle and Patrick were so friendly and personable. We would stay again.

Nice hotel with efficient staff and amenities

Can't think of anything.

I was there for a medical appointment at Rush Memorial. The hotel was convenient and perfect for our stay. Food was very good and the hotel quiet and restful. Staff very friendly and efficient. Will stay there again.

Hotel did not prepare room for us.
    • King or Double Room

Hotel did not prepare room for us. We had no extra bed for family accommodation and we had 2 sets of towels for 3 of us. When we asked 3-d set of towels we have been charged extra money. Breakfast was ok but toaster was week and waffle toaster was out of order. For child hotel change full price.

It was a great hotel experience and all of the staff were very friendly!
    • King or Double Room

The elevators were painstakingly slow.

Patrick the shuttle service driver was great! They also had lemon and cucumber water which was perfect after a day of dancing in the sun!

Awesome Stay
    • King or Double Room

I book thru third party because cheaper, I'm a rewards person should get that price, lost out on rewards

Staff. Shuttle driver made our trip. Outgoing funny, had a blast..hes been there ten years. Loved it

The hotel was exactly what we needed for our visit to...
    • King or Double Room

The hotel was exactly what we needed for our visit to Chicago. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the accommodation was clean and comfortable.

Very pleasant experience and would definately do again.
    • King or Double Room

Tried to call ahead about making sure I had double beds but got a message. Didn't receive a call back to verify. Ended up with a King bed but it worked out well.

Everything was clean and the staff friendly that it made the stay very comfortable. Great view from the room of the city. Within walking distance of some great restaurants. Comfy beds.

I will never come back to this hotel! AGAIN !
    • Deluxe king Or Two Double Beds

Rude and unprofessional staff. Thought room package came with free continental breakfast BUT DIDNT! & then when I was going to check out the lady acted like it was my fault that I was unhappy with their unprofessionalism.

Shuttle services

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

Terrible they took my money
    • King or Double Room

I was very disappointed I was charged for smoking in the room when it did not happen I was told I would receive pictures of burn marks I live in another state it was all untrue

No frills but all satisfactory.
    • King or Double Room

I find it disappointing in this age that a hotel needs to charge for wifi. I travel all over the world, and in most countries, in most hotels, it's complimentary. 10-15 years ago, ok. But not now

No frills but all satisfactory. The key point for me is the location. If you have business at the Rush Medical Center/Med District, it's a perfect location

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

New york
    • King or Double Room

That you had to pay 45 for parking for out of town guest, not to mention it does not inform you of parking and or the amount. The front desk agent was real snip about it, not yielding understanding shall I say a bit rude with it. Marriott is a household name so someone who is representing the company should be a little more friendlier with explaining and understanding to the guest concerns.

The cleanliness of the room.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Location for my purpose.
    • King or Double Room

These days, having to pay for wifi, when the vast majority of hotels provide it as a courtesy, is inappropriate

Location for my purpose. Warm, comfortable. Friendly restaurant staff

The room was very clean and comfortable.
    • King or Double Room

$45/night for parking! We used the hospital parking lot across the street and it was only $20. Room walls are a little thin and doors close very loudly.

The room was very clean and comfortable. Nice hot water and pressure in the shower. Great location! Walking distance to Taylor st and a short uber ride to the city! Everyone in the area was very nice.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Excellent location, great staff, but mediocre hotel facilities.
    • King or Double Room

Walls were paper thin, I could hear the person next door. Same issue with the bathroom, the toilets flush incredibly loudly so I could hear neighbor and upstairs every time they flushed, very annoying. This was amplified by the fact that the rest of the hotel is quiet. Street side room was a bit noisy but tolerable.

Great front desk staff. Free shuttle service within 1 mile of the hotel. Excellent location in medical district close to major hospitals. If you are doing business around there, can't beat this location.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

Miscommunication
    • King or Double Room

The major problem was what Booking.com failed to do. When my wife and I arrived at the Marriott, the Marriott had no reservation in the name of our name. Took 30 minutes to get thru to booking.com. Booking.com had mistakenly communicated to the Marriott our reservation under a name other than our own true name.

We loved the Marriott and staff.

Awesome location and concierge, I loved the shuttle to and from the United Center
    • King or Double Room

Getting a double room as I requested.

Didn't get two beds...King or double is a horrible choice, especially if you need two beds.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Clean, awesome room, great staff

Beds, room, bathroom, staff, accommodations, safe location

It was wonderful!

It was wonderful!

Nice big room, comfy bed.
    • King or Double Room

Room I was put in was close to elevator so I heard everyone passing by.

Nice big room, comfy bed. Love the shuttle.

breakfast is not good.

breakfast is not good.

Average value for average cost.
    • King or Double Room

Road noise was very loud and fan was almost silent, so nothing to drown out cars.

Everything was as advertised.

This Marriott has a shuttle for surrounding areas, such as United center, little Italy, Greek town.

No microwave

The staff are particularly helpful and friendly.

Requested wake up call which never happened

Requested wake up call which never happened

The lack of heat in my room

The lack of heat in my room

Our visit was great!
    • King or Double Room

Paying $55 extra to park in hotel parking lot and the bar was closed after the concert.

Advertised a room they didn’t have

Advertised a room they didn’t have

The charge for parking is high.
    • King or Double Room

The charge for parking is high. Even stayed in Indy not this high of a price!

The restraunt service was horible!
    • King or Double Room

The restraunt service was horible!! All the tables were dirty no where to sit. only one bartender/cook and one waiter:(

Great hotel and staff!
    • King or Double Room

It was close to everything we needed. Perfect location!

Nice place will be back
    • King or Double Room

All of the people were nice and helpful the shuttle to the united center was helpful

Pretty good & I wouldn't mind coming again

No free continental breakfast

The bed was super soft and the water pressure in the shower is amazing

Won’t be back.
    • King or Double Room

Food bad. Freezing restaurant and freezing room.

It is a nice facility alittle pricey for the age, very clean, very friendly staff
    • King or Double Room

The parking set up and cost, restaurant very expensive had to leave property to eat

friendly staff close to downtown

Beautiful hotel.
    • King or Double Room

Beautiful hotel. Amazing customer service. Perfect location.

Breakfast was very good!
    • King or Double Room

Breakfast was very good! Staff was so helpful and polite! Only thing I would change is the bed frames. They creak A lot

Excellent. Very friendly, accommodating and professional staff.

Expensive valet parking

Beautiful with reasonable rates

Na

Nice ambience, very clean property, nice breakfast buffet and ala carte , spacious rooms, friendly staff

Location and comfort.
    • King or Double Room

Access to a microwave availability

Location and comfort...

My stay was great.

The staff was awesome!!!

How expensive the parking is

How expensive the parking is

Great place to stay even with the limited restaurant choices.
    • King or Double Room

The availability of restaurants was very limited

The staff was excellent

Nice size room
    • King or Double Room

$50 for parking per night as a hotel guest was not good at all, no microwave in room

Nice size room

Best bed ever!
    • King or Double Room

We did like that there was only valet parking.

The bed was extremely fluffy and squishy. It was the best bed we'd ever slept on.

Nice hotel and clean

No free wifi

The room

Cleanliness
    • King or Double Room

A Bartender engage in some inappropriate conversation with seem like was a steady patron. No very impressed!

Cleanliness

Service

I Don't like the you have to pay for Parking 😡

Service

Hotel next to the medical center.
    • King or Double Room

No bellman. Parking too expensive. Rate somewhat high. Nothing around.

Staff was friendly.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

We had free breakfast because we are elite Marriott members

Pillows

We had free breakfast because we are elite Marriott members

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Great location, great staff
    • King or Double Room

The staff are very personable and the location next to Rush University Hospital is great