Reviews of The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection 5 stars

1127 Connecticut Avenue Northwest, Northwest, Washington, DC 20036, USA

#74 of 138 hotels in Washington

5.7

The hotel feels a bit impersonal with 580+ rooms. You just transit through reception and they do not know who you are because of the number of guests but also because they are holding conferences and events all the time with hundreds of people. Also, the restaurant/ bar is open to external customers at any time with the risk you have to wait for your breakfast because of business meetings going on. Despite the nice complimentary upgrade we received, the staff are a bit unprepared and they do not seem to have a clue about the included breakfast rate. I had to argue at reception upon check-in and show the booking.com receipt saying "breakfast included". The day after the waiters at the bar still seemed confused about this and I had to remind them breakfast was included. They guaranteed the bill was just symbolic and no charge would be made and I reminded this again to the gentleman who checked us out.... but guess what? after my stay I received an email bill and I have found out I have been charged for the breakfasts. I have sent them 2 emails and 1 message through booking.com. they have not replied after 10 days, so I involved booking.com customer service who are looking into this. If you think about it, it is an appalling customer service for the hotel level. All in all a nice hotel but we would not stay here again to be honest.

The hotel is clean and rooms are comfortable and quiet. we have been given a junior suite upgrade.

• Double Room with 2 Double Beds

check-in staff is not professional. takes him 10 minutes to find my booking even when i provide the confirmation letter.

lovely hotel in centre of Washington. Close to all the attractions. good selection of restaurants around. enjoy the gym too.

The room was laid out strange. When we first arrived, they didn't have the booking.com reservation. We had made the reservation last minute for a good deal. They put us in a room with no light that had a window onto the air shaft. They had plenty of rooms so we asked to change and got the same room on the 8th floor, so there was some light. But the TV was on the desk not centered to the bed; also the air conditioning was super loud and we couldn't hear the TV (which had volume control so we couldn't turn it up). Even with the window, it felt like the inside room of a cruise ship. It was fine for the value--but we thought it was a 4-5 star hotel. If we had known, we would have stayed somewhere else.

Location was good; Lobby was nice and well-lit; Housekeeping staff was excellent (substituted our down bedding with nonfeather bedding)

I was charged 38$ for a 30secondes international phone call from the room (I got the operator so I hung up directly)! This is an unbelievably high rate and the hotel does not provide a list with the costs for the international calls. When I complained, the manager didn't seem to really care, he just said that the rates are set by an external company and the hotel has no say over that. This does not seem convincing since the hotel should definitely inform its customers of the rates.

The location, the gym and the cleanliness of the hotel are excellent

No coffee facilities in room; in room a/c was old and v noisy ;bar service v slow and unfriendly. For an autograph brand, this was a bit of a let down

Front desk staff v friendly

Inattentive check in staff - some customers had rooms available before 2pm whilst others like me waited and waited until after 2pm in reception for a room to be made available. Despite saying I had just travelled 32 hours when the room was ready nobody bothered to let me know. Had to keep checking and finally got a room at 2.35. No tea making facilities in the room, room telephone not enabled to dial internal services and no directory of services and numbers to dial, no bottled water in room (have to ask at reception), although charges were reversed I was debited for Wifi access despite being a Marriot rewards member. No formal dining room for breakfast or dinner. No robes, slippers or extra blankets in the room - expect more from a 5 star hotel.

Location was excellent. The building is a heritage building and very attractive. Close to subway. Very clean. Good pub food at Edgar, good room service breakfast options, very comfy bed, free coffee and tea to go from the bar. Bottled water available at reception.

The hotel is a place with loads of comings and goings. Staff are very helpful and the decor is lovely. The situation is good and we walked to all the main sites.

1. No coffee maker inside room. No complimentary bottle water inside room 2. Garage style not accessible to us. 3. WiFi use not easily accessible 4. The restaurant staff , some not patient when getting orders from costumers 5. Not a good view from our window 6. Not satisfied with the hotel with the money we paid

Location of hotel

loud music in entrance hall. no double-glass windows, so lots of noise from the street.poor breakfast buffet. many people from conferences roaming around in the hotel, and no security requirements.

very comfortable bed, nice style

Overall, lackluster experience filled with lack of consistency with hotel management and poor customer service. From check in to check out, the experience was awful. There was no room available when I arrived despite my calling the hotel several times regarding my delayed arrival (due to severe winter weather in NJ, AKA a Nor'easter!). I was not able to fully prepare for my early am meeting because of the delay checking in. Waited in the lobby for over two hours and when I checked into my room it was 100 degrees and engineering needed to be called. But, they just left me in the lobby and didn't communicate the status of the room while I paced the lobby. Hours later, the business center finally located charged my company to have materials delivered on top of the shipping charges paid to have the packages sent to the hotel. Housekeeping never cleaned my room during my stay. I was charged twice for a single night stay (last leg of this stay) as well as a food charge that I paid for with my card at Edgars but was also charged to my room. I was charged three days for parking when I was there for two days. Horrendous experience. I will not return to this hotel nor will by employees.

No water, no slippers, no free wi-fi, no coffe - pot, no wine - glasses in the room. Actually nothing what I usually have in other 5 stars hotels. At the price about 400 dollars per night looks oddly. Very loud fan in the bathroom which is working always. As well as air conditioner which also noisy in the room.

The hotel is nice from the outside.

No tea / coffee maker in room and no bottled water either . It was the first time that I have encountered such a situation , internationally !

The location !

It would be great to have a magnified wall mounted mirror that lights up for those of us who need visual aid while putting on makeup! A coffee maker in the room would be nice

Bed was like a cloud 😀 breakfast buffet awesome

I was at this hotel when it was a 5 Star property with Mr. Mari as GM. I expected it would be the same, but it has slipped some. No bathrobe, a room over the garbage cans, with clattering in the early morning. The restaurant was very disappointing. The food for room service was actually terrible.

• King Suite

Charges for WiFi. Yet it’s complimentary as long as you use their restaurant downstairs. NO COFFEE MAKER IN ROOM. Get real people. Room service charged $30 for a pot of coffee. Expected to be charged for the air next. Sound proofing in room would be nice. Got to listen to heat pumps all night long. Sounded like an airplane.

The room was dirty - as in toenails and dirt on the carpet - and someone else's makeup on the pillow. Following that second discovery I found it impossible to regain my trust in the cleanliness of the room even after I had it cleaned by housekeeping and all linen replaced. Another complaint is the lack of amenities such as cotton buds, slippers, shoe horns that are standard in any 3-star hotel nowadays that are simply absent in this hotel. All in all not great value for money. I hope they fix those issues, because the house otherwise has great potential.

At this hotel saying what I liked is a bit tricky. I asked for a room far from the elevator and somehow that request seems to always trigger staff to assign a room right by the elevator, but when I moved to a room further away (after complaining) I have to say that it was very quiet by Washington standards. Also the bathroom was in reasonably good shape and staff were reasonably friendly.

• King or Double Room

It's a BIG hotel. Our room was the furthest away from the elevators, making it a long walk. As there was no coffee or tea maker in the room, it was frustrating for my coffee-drinking companion to get her day started properly. Also felt overcharged for breakfast in the restaurant. We didn't want something big, so ordered 3 soft boiled eggs and were charged $6.00 per egg!!! $18 for three soft boiled eggs???

The rooms was spacious, and very comfortable. Clean, contemporary design. Felt like the property had been recently upgraded. Great bright hallways, friendly staff. We taxied everywhere, and nothing felt far away.

I was disturnbed that after we were asked to leave the lounge because it closed we stood outside and continued to talk form the lobby when we seen a rat the size of a small cat inside the lounge by the bar. There was someone cleaning inside the lounge but I don’t think she found it. The next night after coming in at 2am I noticed another rat sitting below the bar and when my husband mentioned it to the gentle men behind the counter he acted as if he was too drunk and dismissed us telling us the lounge was closed. I was just surprised that as nice as this establishment was it had rats inside!

We attended a wedding at the Mayflower and decided to stay here. For the Most part the hotel was absolutely amazing as far as our room and the wedding we attended!

Excellent, helpful and extremely friendly staff! The Kitchen/Bar - Edgar, excellent food and value for money! Although our visit was over the New Years busy holidays, still top notch service!

• King Room on Club Level

The two double beds felt very small for two adults to sleep on. You have to pay for WiFi which is not acceptable in a 5 star hotel

The Lobby was beautiful. The breakfast in the Club Lounge was excellent

Team at the breakfast very rude and not professional at all, I was alone and I had to change three tables according to miscommunication between staff until I refused to change the table for the fourth time. Not hospitable.

Location, receptionist was friendly

The mini fridge wasn't on nor was it stocked, also there was only free wifi for those who booked direct

The free coffee in the lobby in the morning was appreciated!

Internet was only free if you had a rewards card. Coffee is complimentary in the morning in the restaurant yet when I went to get two cups the hostess said they would bring it to the table. I assumed this also was complimentary. Instead they charged us $6.00 each.

Location was great

Ask not to be in 1036. At best it should be a single two drawers only for clothes, armoire was small (no closet) and door didn’t stay closed blocking desk and one chair in room. Everything was extra. $6 for horrible croissant, $6 for cup of coffee if you sat in the restaurant area. Parking was $49 a Day. This price offer was not a deal. My daughter went directly to mayflower hotel and got free parking, free breakfast for &50 more than we got thru booking .com. BEWARE!!

It’s right by subway and therefore convenient to all the tourist interests

No coffee in room; no free wifi; no bubble bath; limited cleaning each day; overall for a luxury hotel - not as luxurious or sophisticated as they advertise

Room; location

Room service - very long time to wait. Poor service in the restaurant/ bar. No clear information about breakfast price. Confusing issue with the wifi - by the registration payment of12$ is required, however it was provided for free. No water in the room, everybody should call the guest service, they bring it for free. No coffee mashine in the room.

Great location! Not far away from the White House. A lot of restaurants and cafe nearby. Beautiful lobby, room. Very comfortable.

Room was tiny, only very small window with heavy curtains that could not be tied back - so almost no outlook. Bed was a queen mattress sitting on a King base - this looked silly and like a cheap hostel, not a quality hotel. Wi-Fi had issues running face time most of the time. Desk was too high for the (only) chair in the room. No sitting chair.

Great location for business or holiday. Although very small, my room on level 2 was extremely quiet, especially for the location. however, it has potential to be noisy if functions are taking place in the function rooms also on that level. Staff very friendly and helpful.

By mistake I suscribed paid wifi in the room. 5 minutes later I asked to the reception to cancel it. They did it and told me, no to worry. Although this, when I check out they charged me wifi because they couldnt cancel as I asked.

Very nice acommodations and near to the imprtant places.

Price was high, but worth it as part of a glowing experience.

Great views. Close to the best part of downtown. Incredible ease in checking in and checking out (including valet parking).

The air conditioning system in our room was extremely loud & kept us awake. It was the only thing about the hotel the we were displeased with, but bad enough that we would consider staying elsewhere next time.

Afternoon treats at the lobby were a nice touch. We had mini carrot, red velvet & chocolate cake with iced tea - very nice!

Room was very tight for the price, but it was a Saturday night in DC! Allow extra time for car to be brought round when you check out.

Valet parking was nice, location was awesome. Staff friendly and helpful!

Wi-Fi 30$ per day, that's ridiculous for 5 stars hotel in 2017. Absolutely empty fridge, there wasn't even water.

Great location, clean room and comfortable bed

Ladies at the front desk should be more Friendly and smile. Guys at the entrance are great. The guys at the breakfast place should be more professional.

Very comfortable; nice, helpful staff; very clean; felt safe; good meals in the restaurant and bar. It is very near the Metro, stores, restaurants and within walking distance of the White House and other famous sights.

Payable wifi not convenient at all for foreign travelers. Cost is around 12.50 $ per day

Payable wifi was a really bad surprise.. Lounge is really beautiful but standard rooms are really simple, same as you can get in any cheaper hotel where you can get a free wifi. Fortunately we stayed there only for 1 night.

No bottled water provided. windows did not keep the noise out.

Staff were great. Great location. Food was good in the restaurant. The hotel architecture very beautiful.

I did ask the Mayflower for consideration to cancel my reservations. I had a conflict. The hotel never responded either way..........don't expect consideration if this situation arises.

The staff were unfriendly. They made a mistake at check in and locked us out of our room. When this was reported to reception there was no apology and an offhanded defensive response. The restaurant also made an error with our order and as one of our party is a coeliac this could have been a real problem. Waiting staff were also not aware of what was or was not gluten free on the menu. What a shame the service doesn't match the quality of the hotel!

Great hotel in a good position.

I didn't like not having complimentary breakfast included with my stay. Hotel room should have had a microwave in it.

The room was quite cozy! I loved the comforters from the staff.. I would visit here again!

Reception Staff welcome, lack of communication and offered information, the hotel charges for Internet in room but do not advertise or make known that it is free in the lobby area. One lady on reception the next morning of our stay, was helpful and friendly unfortunately we did not get her name. They had initially booked us in a room with single beds then put us in a room on a floor with a wedding party - very noisy and moved to another room the next day which was much quieter .

Comfortable room particularly the bed.

Beside the perfect location near the National Mall I highly recommend the Mayflower Hotel. Wonderful rooms, very friendly and helpful staff. Felt very, very comfortable as young woman traveling by herself. Will def come back to this place.

Very disappointed and will not go back to that hotel. I booked a room with a king size bed, but got one with a queen size bed. When asked to change the room, I was told that rooms with king size beds are all booked:( The service and the food at the restaurant were the worst..😤

The location of the hotel.

Was put onto the 2nd floor (despite being a Marriott Rewards client) in a fairly dull room with no view; more significantly, it was next to the ice machine dispenser. Of course you could argue that this would be an advantage, except the ice machine was obviously having an overheating issue so the door had been wedged open to improve circulation and there was not a single cube of ice coming out of that thing for the 2 days I stayed -- however that didn't stop everyone (including several in the middle of the night) trying to get ice out of it, which of course, was right next to my door. Receptionists need to be receptive. Lily needs training on how NOT to resort to giving off airs above her station. Customer service is what counts in hotels, NOT pseudo-superiority attitude or "shade" as fools now like to call it. Rudeness is what it amounts to, and it is unacceptable in the service industry. Everyone else on the desk seemed pleasant, enthusiastic and interested in the customers standing in front of them. In case the chambermaid (or the rest of the staff) wanted to know where my $20 tip went, I left a note to advise that due to the rudeness on reception (mentioned above), I was going to split it between two homeless people - In the event I gave $10 to one chap on the same street as the hotel and another to a woman at Union Station. I am comfortable with my decision.

The public areas are what makes the place - it is living off a 1920/30s grandeur which immediately makes an impact. Location is good for anyone wanting a 20min stroll down to the photo vantage points outside the White House. Close to a subway station if you want to go a little further. The fitness centre is well-equipped, but finding it is a bit of a chore. I'm not an idiot, but it still took me 20 mins and I had to ask directions from staff twice.

At our 4:30PM arrival our room was not ready and the staff did very little to help us. In fact they originally asked us to wait!!! After I refused they downgraded us to a smaller room. Totally unacceptable

Location of the Hotel

Great location to the metro and the White House. Edgar's restaurant/bar was good value and convenient. All the staff were attentive and freindly.

They remodeled the bar to make it more modern, very disappointing and the new look and design I didn't care for

hotel location was really center to see the Washington Memorial, White House. Easy to walk to restaurants and all sites.

I had $12+ per day wifi x7days = over $84 for stay apart from that there was nothing.

The staff were excellent the general atmosphere was great and relaxing not stuffy.

Booking.com present this as a five star hotel but the hotel don't actually say they are. No free internet or tea / coffee in rooms is frustrating. They are in the lobby but as tourists we rely on the internet to plan our days away and going down to the lobby is a hassle. I also asked for a bottle of bubbly in our room as it was our honeymoon but it didn't arrive (to be fair, booking.com do state you should ring to make sure which I didn't do).

The Mayflower is a lovely hotel - really beautiful. The staff are lovely and the location is great. The bar is lovely and the rooms are large and really nicely decorated.

Went to dinner at the restaurant Edgar in the hotel and sat at our table for 10 minutes or more without ever getting acknowledged or taken care of by the wait staff. Left and went to sit at the bar where the service was excellent.

The Mayflower hotel was AMAZING!!! Such a beautiful palace like lobby. We ate in the bar for dinner. The food was excellent and the staff was SO friendly and provided perfect service.

The air con was rather deafening . The end of the shower curtain needed attention - only slight detail but sometimes it's the small things that matter . The length of time it took to get through to room service even though it was 9 :30 am and likely very busy but first call rang out . Too few bathroom products.

Beds were very comfy . Sense of old world splendour . Edgar 's had the largest scallop I have ever seen - or more over my daughter . Real sense of relaxation . The lady member of room staff who bothered to come back on her time off to place bathroom tissue she remembered even though she was onher way home - that level of staff commitment is impressive .

• King or Double Room

Driving to the front door and dropping off bags. We had to double park in the street. Valet parking was somewhat inconvenient.

The room was beautifully appointed and quite specious.

Room service has great prices and food were great as well. Room was well priced. Overall look on the hotel was absolutely beautiful. We enjoyed every minute.

The room 621 was a tiny room for two people to move around and the bathroom was one of the smallest I've seen. The reception should have considered this when checking my wife and I in. The kids were in a bigger room and much more space with a bigger bathroom.the room view was terrible. The breakfast area was simply dull with a dull buffet. Vallet parking if $49 a day for in-house guests was very high, especailly when one is staying there for 3 nights

The lobby was very nice and the gym was excellent. The location was great as well.

The air conditioner was very noisy and did not cool down the room. I final called the service department and they had a maintenance person come to the room to look at the problem. He said the air conditioner needed a new filter. He left and came back with another person and they installed a different air conditioner that was not as noisy and cooled down the room. Unfortunately for us, this was being done between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. I was going to ask for an adjustment to the cost of the room but realized I made the reservation with booking.com. If I had made the reservation with the hotel I would have asked for a discount on the cost of the room. I would think that a hotel that size would have a preventive maintenance program so something like this would not happen to hotel guests. Especially, during the summer. Another complaint was that I was charged $6.00 for a cup of coffee, however, if I would have gotten the coffee myself, which was directly across from where I was sitting), it would have been free!!

The room was clean.

Coffee, water bottles in room. Easy access to purchasing sodas.

Close to red line. Staff was extremely courteous and helpful. Coffee every am (served in lobby) was good. Very clean.

• King or Double Room

Quality hotel with exceptional service (example: gave our group of three free hotel umbrellas on a rainy day); beautiful hotel with historical significance. The spacious room, service, security, and ambience exceeded our expectations. Amazing to think we were at a hotel used by American Presidents and international dignitaries...beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. A wonderful hotel from which we spent several days visiting sites throughout Washington, D.C..

An in room coffee maker with mini moo creamers would have been nice. Also a small mini bar

The room was extremely well decorated. A+ to the interior design team! Loved the framed prints on the wall above the stylish couch with throw pilllows in just the right colors and a nice little work surface I could pull where I needed it.

I was told I had a great view, but when I reached my room the only thing I could see was the back alley way.

The bed was extremely comfy and the bathroom was a great size.

Considering this is a 5 star hotel they have a lot of issues: - extremely unfriendly and unhelpful staff starting from check-in when they simply refused to explain to us if the room was paid or the money were just blocked on the card and we should contact booking since we did not booked with the hotel. Problem solved only by talking to front office manager. - reception refused to print our plane tickets (2 pages) claiming that their email is not working. No facilities to print. - next to our room was a room with a dog that was barking non-stop. On our request they changed the room to another one that was close to a huge outside chiller that made noise non-stop :) - also, you cannot use the indoor AC because of extremely high noise in the room. - old and frayed bathroom towels - minibar completely empty

Would have liked ability to add points to my Marriott account. The bed mattress was in need of replacement and not up to the remainder of the room convenience and comfort.

Excellent location and large comfortable room.

The concierge on June 29 was totally unaccomodating, telling me that to get tickets for the African American museum, I can get up like the rest of the world at 6:30am , like the rest of the world. The day before, she shrugged when I asked for family restaurant recommendations. Seldom do the door men offer to open the door

Check in was very friendly, housekeeper very accommodating

We were not informed that a double room reservation required listing all occupants. This prevented registration. The so-called security check is a fraud. The hotel has no idea who is calling to confirm. The initial room assigned to us had a bed so close to the wall as to prevent getting in or out. In general, the staff was dismissive and took no initiative to see that we were comfortable. The room had insufficient drawer space for three days of visit. Bed was too soft and was uncomfortable.

Two staff members were helpful and courteous

• King or Double Room

The room is dated and we had to call to get the room cleaned up one day.

The location, the afternoon candy and the morning coffee. I also like the history and comfort of the room.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

I didn't like that I had to pay for Wi-Fi. I would also have liked to see an area at the hotel to pick up a muffin, yogurt, etc. without going into the hotel.

Location. Property. Feels safe as I was traveling alone.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• King or Double Room

Booking .Com quoted one lower rate for Day 1 anintebtionslly withheld the price for the 2nd night which was 40% higher. You have broken my trust as a brand that is transparent and honest. I would easily go to your competitors and will not return

Booking.cofid was unethical in how they marketed and quoted the full price for the trip. I will never use fhis service again and will file a complaint with Consumer Rights agency .

The cleaning crew did not care much about our comfort. They threw our shower soap in the toilet bow and never left a replacement. In our last day, I asked several cleaning crew member for soap for over two hours. They only brought me soap for shower after the 5th time when I called the reception and asked to talk to the manager. The restaurant also has bad costumer service, not well trained staff. Some of them are even rude. The breakfast, which was paid with the reservation, is very basic and very cheap quality; very disappointing. The melon and honeydew have no taste at all because they are not ripe enough and the blueberries and blackberries are so tangy that is almost impossible to eat them. The bacon is often burned. For a hotel like this expensive, I expected a breakfast with better quality and kindness from servers. The guy that watch the buffet has the worst attitude towards the guests, and such as one of the hosts. I do not recommend this hotel because costumer service and food quality is as important to me as the comfort of the bed.

The hotel reception staff were all kind and easy to communicate.

The staff was unfriendly + at the valet parking they damaged my car and will not pay for it. I can not recommend the hotel. The place is nice located and the hotel is also nice to see, but nothing can bring me back to this hotel.

Location Building

A little high for the size of room. But a nice hotel.

Booking.com needs to update the info about the rooms at the Mayflower. We booked an extra large king room with mini bar, There was No Mini Bar and the room was small. Really Small!! I asked the front desk about the size and mini bar and was told Booking.Com was wrong.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Disappointing given its reputation. Staff not engaging, charged for wifi, printing a simple booking confirmation for our car hire, no water or coffee facilities in room. Not what I had expected for a hotel of this quality. Clearly they think they don't need to try.

Great location and staff. When I saw the lobby and room I double checked the price on my booking paperwork because I thought it should have been much more expensive! Stay here.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

• King or Double Room

I felt like the hotel was a bit impersonal due to its size. My burger was very undercooked that I got as room service. I wasn't very impressed with the food at breakfast and the staff in the restaurant were okay but overworked.

The rooms were really nice and I was given a lovely large room. The bed was very comfortable. Easy checkout.

It's a bit weird nowadays not to have free WIFI in the room, but there is free WIFI available in the hotel lobby

Although we had only 2 nights in this hotel, our experience was an excellent one in terms of room coziness and staff interaction. It's good location enables you to explore the main highlights of the city by waking or by very close distances to the metro system of DC.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Another $50 tacked on for parking. NO view and wifi was an additional cost. Seriously? You can't offer free wifi with the outrageous cost of the room?

it was clean

Size of room, lack of bottled water and mini bar, pillows.

Breakfast was fine . Room was nice and clean. Location great. Price was high. I was just at Ritz Carlton Atlanta Buckhead and they supplied bottled water and had mini bar and larger room for a lot less money and it was lovely and well located also The pillows were hard and uncomfortable for me but I cannot say how others would like them. I would stay there again if I come to DC.