Reviews of McCamly Plaza Hotel 3 stars

50 Capital Avenue Southwest, Battle Creek, MI 49017, USA

#7 of 14 hotels in Battle Creek

• Standard King Room

Two parking options are offered upon arrival - valet and a nearby parking ramp. As it was very cold and snowy when we arrived, we chose valet. We parked the car in the valet area and waited some time. My husband then went inside and was informed by reception that the valet driver was not available and to leave the keys with reception. The car would be parked later. We then unloaded our own bags and carried them to the elevator without use of a cart. We also had a fussy 6 month old with us. Valet and a luggage cart would have been very helpful. We did see the valet staff later that night lounging on a chair in the lobby using what appeared to be a personal cell phone. When we arrived at our room on the 9th floor, neither card issued to us at check in worked. I waited outside the room with the baby while My husband went back downstairs to reception for new keys. Once inside the room, we changed into our swim suits to enjoy the indoor pool that was advertised online. We walked through the lobby and to the door to the pool. We used our room key to gain entrance to the pool area. The door opened to a cold, dark room with a pool drained of water and full of dirty mattresses. What a shock! We were not informed online or at reception of a pool closing. No signs were posted on the door to the pool area and our room key granted us entrance to the mattress storage area where a pool used to be. Very disappointing. Once back in the room, we ordered room service. The food was good and delivered quickly, but the waitress looked disheveled and rather unkempt. No one was available at reception the following morning for check out. Overall, we did not have a good experience. We will not return.

The room itself was clean, quiet and comfortable. We enjoyed having a microwave and refrigerator available in the room as well.

• Superior Queen Room

Went for state robotics competition. I believe hotel was booked. Really understaffed though. Took about 30 minutes to check in. Room was o.k. Carpet throughout hotel could stand to be changed. No fridge in room- who doesn't have a fridge these days?I had a discounted rate for room because of event. Never would have paid any more for this hotel. Just totally average. Very limited parking in front of hotel. They had supposedly booked parking garage that we could buy a voucher for, but that was full too. Come on! Restaurant attached to hotel was understaffed. Not sure why there were staffing problems as they had to know the place would be packed. Booked on line and had 3 follow up calls from hotel to "confirm". By the third one, I was just annoyed! Sent email to G.M. and never heard back. Poor management!

• Superior Queen Room

Room service was an hour late, but they did comp the food because of the service. Housekeeping never cleaned the room or gave fresh towels for the 2nd night stay. Public bathrooms were dirty. Pricey for the accommodations. No refrigerators in rooms.

Staff was very helpful and friendly. Room was clean & comfy. Nice that it is connected to the arena.

• Superior Queen Room

That when I asked for a fridge they brought one, and when I returned back to the room for the night and was setteling in the deadbolt lock did not lock and they checked it out and gave me another room, then that room didn't have a fridge in it so they brought one in.

• Superior King Room

No cots only an air mattress for my child and pool was closed for maintenance our entire stay. No snack vending machines and the second rooms air conditioner was not working properly

Great water pressure in showers. Comfortable bed but valet was great

• Standard Queen Room

I arrived on my motorcycle after having travelled over 400 miles. Obviously, I didn't look my best. Although parking was included in my reservation, I was told I'd have to pay $10 for valet parking. The valet agreed to let me park in the short term parking overnight. I felt like the staff looked down at me because of my appearance. It wss a bit disappointing. This was my last day of a 20 day road trip and I picked this hotel to spoil myself. As I said, hotel was amazing but staff should not be condescending.

It's a beautiful hotel located near downtown Battle Creek. The room was great with all the amenenities you would expect. Clean and luxurious.

• Standard King Room

Being able to book by floor would be nice. Maybe i missed that option, but my partner hates heights.

Fantastic room with a great breakfast and lots of amenities. It's right downtown with easy access to the convention center. Riverwalk nearby is very nice. About 15 minutes to the casino.

• Standard King Room

While valet parking is offered, it is very limited. The parking garage is next door with no valet service, however it is connected to the hotel. I think the hotel should consider offering valet service for parking in the parking garage.

Room was clean and comfortable. Staff friendly and accommodating. Restaurant offered a nice breakfast buffet for $10. Kellogg Arena is attached to the hotel. We were there for a fast pitch softball tournament, and the staff provided ice for coolers until they ran out, which was very helpful. Nice pool and patio sitting area. Kid and pet friendly. I would stay there again.

• Standard King Room

We stayed in a Standard King room. I was with my 2 daughters ages 9 & 11. The bed size was fine, but it was very hard. It was warm in the room so I had to turn the air on, which wasn't a huge deal, but the next morning it was below 50 degrees outside, so it was cold. I didn't like the channel selection on the tv. They had absolutely no children's channels. They had HBO family, but it was not playing anything my girls could watch. There was no Disney channel, Nickelodeon, Jr's of either channel. There was a Japan channel I think, but nothing for kids. The hotel did have a restaurant, but not the restaurant it advertises. It's different now. I don't know how it was because we didn't go. Parking was also sort of a pain. You have 2 options valet, or garage. Both cost $10. The valet you can go in and out of the lot as many times as you want, the garage is $10 every time you enter. When you arrive to check in, there are very few spots to park in so that you can run in and check in. You can't just park in the valet area so you have to wait for a spot to open. We decided to valet, but my car was parked across the street at a bank so when we needed to put our things in the car before the meet the next morning, we had to wait for the valet to go and get the car, to put my 3-4 small bags in, and then take it back. Of course I tipped the valet, he was very nice, but I had to tip them twice on top of the $10 charge. My room was $169 and $189 with tax. On top of that a hard bed, no kids channels and a $10 parking fee plus tipping the valet was a bit much. Also we arrived in Battle Creek on a Thursday evening and EVERYTHING was closed. I wasn't going to take my kids to a bar for dinner, so we ended up ordering pizza from Hungry Howie's.

I liked that the hotel was connected to the Kellogg's Arena. My daughter had a gymnastics meet in the arena at 7:45AM on a Friday morning, so the fact that the hotel was connected was a huge bonus! The room was clean and a nice size. It also had a mini fridge which was nice and free wifi.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Standard King Room

We did not have hot water maintenence came said it was fixed it was not so no showers before gymnastics meet for 5 people. According did not work very muggy all night maintenance was called still no ac

• Standard King Room

This was a bsre bones stay. No access to a soda. No fridge or microwave. Very poor lighting in the room except for the reading lamp in bed. But, it appeared to be in transition. There wasnt even. Hotel directory in the rooms at this time. I would give them some time and try this again. The city lot was not greast, but the valet was smooth sailing.

It has a lovely old hotel with an upgraded bathroom. The bed was great and the staff was friendly. The location was great.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

• Standard King Room

Staff was exceptionally hospital especially the valet crew. Very rare expected Midwest hospitality that I have only experienced in southern USA over my several years if business and leisure traveling!

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• Standard King Room

There needs to be a few more lights in the room. It was a little dark even with all the lights on. I tried to call the front desk to find out where the ice machines were but it was busy every time I tried to call so I eventually had to go down to ask. Could have had a restaurant with better food choices.

The front desk and restaurant staff were courteous and attentive. The room was clean and I had a king room with good view of the lights of the city. Very comfortable bed with fluffy pillows. I slept wonderfully. The location was also perfect. It is in the middle of everywhere I needed to go. A lot of restaurants in walking distance. I parked my car and did not move it until it was time to go home. Easy to get to from the highway.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Standard King Room

Staff didn't know how to take cash. Missed not having a free breakfast in the mornings like most hotels have.

The convince of the location. Staff was friendly. Room was clean and a nice view overlooking the city.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Standard King Room

The only thing that I could complain about is that there was no complimentary breakfast. I have stayed at facilities for $50 a night that offered it. This place charges $120 a night and our room didn't qualify for it. I doubt we would have even taken advantage of it, but it would have been nice to have the option.

The hotel was awesome. The staff was awesome. The fact that they upgraded my wife and I so we could be on the same floor as the rest of our group was awesome and unexpected. I can honestly say that the entire experience was much better than I expected.

• Standard King Room

My only complaint is I don't understand why Housekeeping knocked on the door before 9am checkout time is at 12pm. Our sleep was disturbed. Very annoying especially when you're trying to get sleep for a 12hr drive.

The front desk staff was not helpful. Before checking in, we were told we would receive a call back ensuring our 2 rooms booked were near one another, and no one called. After check out, we were told we would receive a call back about a coat left behind in the closet of the room, and no one called. The valet staff was amazing. Reception was subpar.

The lobby, rooms & main floor restaurant are all very comfortable & inviting!

• Standard King Room

The refrigerator in our room didn't work, which we didn't know when we put our food in. The pillows on the bed kind of smelled. There were signs up for a continental breakfast but the manager told us we had to buy breakfast in the restaurant. There is only free breakfast when there aren't many guests staying. Also we had to pay for parking, you have to either get valet for 10$ or park in the public parking for 8$. The "deluxe king room" I paid for was really small.

The staff was great, very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• Standard King Room

A "tired" hotel. Nice TV but TV reception very bad in my room. Hotel has insulated windows (dual pane I think) and window was very cloudy. Nice view but could not see it.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

• Standard King Room

I wasn't greeted by the reception desk very well. She was not very friendly compared to staff at other hotels I have stayed at recently. The exercise room is lacking. You need to add space and dumbbells.

The bell hop was very friendly and willing to help with parking my car and handling my luggage. My server for breakfast at Barleycorn's was very pleasant and timely. Parking is a hassle if not using the valet service.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

• Standard Queen Room

No breakfast was offered. There was no refrigerator in the room. The hot water did not work in our room. The WiFi didn't work throughout our stay.

The valet was extremely nice and helpful. The cost of the stay was very reasonable.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

• Superior King Room

I am a Kellogg Company employee and I was told there was a special rate and amenities for Kellogg Employees. My discount was a dollar and I was never given any "special amenities". I asked 3 different employees at the front desk what the amenities were....I received a couple I don't knows and one guy said he would have someone send something right up to my room.....again no amenities.

Location ONLY

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Standard King Room

Pity the shops inside the hotel have all gone except Starbucks( closes too early) also could not get a Sunday paper from the front desk.

nice room, friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Air conditioning was very loud. Room smelled musty. Hotel needs a renovation.

Breakfast was very good. Wait staff very nice.Doormen were very nice along with front desk staff.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Standard King Room

The bathroom was small and the door would hit the shower when you opened it. It also didn't have a fan which made getting ready impossible without pouring sweat.

Our person at check-in was absolutely awesome and very accommodating.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Superior Queen Room

One of the major reasons we choose this hotel, was it had a restaurant and lounge. When we arrived, both were closed due to remodeling. We did not receive any advance notice this was happening causing us much inconvenience.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Standard King Room

Parking was expensive. I don't mind paying a fee, but $10 a day plus all the tips I gave out coming and going several times a day added up to quite a lot. Parking in the city lot would not have been an option for me. (single older lady). I like the security of valet parking.

The bed was like a cloud! The prime rib at our function buffet was one of the best I have ever had.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Everything was great! Comfortable and inviting. Could improve entrance by replacing the old swing double doors with automatic sliding doors.

Very nice immaculate rooms with up to date decor and the interior design is modern and beautiful. Very clean, fluffy white sheets and pillows and towels. Great view as our room was on 11th floor. Loved that we could control the AC esp during the heatwave!!!!!

• Standard Queen Room

No refrigerator or microwave in the room. No ice machine or vending machine on our floor.

Staff was amazing. Room service was great. Very pretty hotel rooms, very clean.

• Standard King Room

Dining options, but good options near by

• Standard King Room

The athletic facility leave a lot to be desired. You need more space, a rack of dumbells, and some decent machines.

Comfortable, clean, room.

• Superior Queen Room

There was no pool, food in my fridge. Room smelled

Close to full blast where our hockey tournament was.

• Standard King Room

I asked for a corner room but did not get one

The location is near good restaurants

• Standard King Room

No parking at hotel, just valet parking or you have to walk a long way to park in a parking garage on the other side of the Kellogg center next door.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Superior King Room

Pool could have stayed open longer.

The room was great - upgraded. Breakfast delivered to room by 6:30am was a plus,

• Standard King Room

Highet price due to event

Being attached to Kellogg is perfect

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Standard King Room

The cold weather could of went away

Everything was just fine

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Standard King Room

It is a little run down, but it is the best of the in town options with all of the stuff you want (Ie gym, pool, Starbucks, location, food).

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Pillows were flat and uncomfortable

• Standard Queen Room

Beds were very comfortable. Room was very clean. Hotel was quiet. Staff was very accommodating.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Superior Queen Room

The staff was super friendly and the restaurant was great.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Standard King Room

There could have been a mini bar in the room.

Generally a very nice hotel.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Lack of parking....had to pay to park in a parking structure. No refrigerator or hair dryer in the room.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

We liked everything!

Loved the bathroom!!!

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Superior King Room

Bar and restaurant both close main for reason for staying ,rooms one of two was wrong.

Staff

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

3am check in was a pain due to parking

8 minute drive to save $140 was well worth it, playing at fire keepers stay here!

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

No frig. in the rooms.

• Superior King Room

No restroom or shower facility near pool area.

Bed was comfortable and room was too.

• Standard Queen Room

The pool was poor quality and the rooms need to be updated

• Reviewed: 20 May 2016

Didn't feel like the location was in the safest part of town. Couldn't find the remote for the TV in the fitness room while working out.

Great view of city, comfy bed, nice big bathtub!

• Reviewed: 13 May 2016

1st trip the air conditioner had to be replaced on our 2nd day. By our 4th day, the room was still not cooled down. 2nd trip. Only 2 days this time, but the a/c didn't work the entire time. About 85° all weekend in the room, had to open the door to get air from the hallway

Return visit. Staff very helpful. Location is good.

• Reviewed: 1 May 2016

When I booked this it was listed as king with sofa bed on booking.com website. When I checked in , no sofa bed , hotel stated they do not have sofa beds in any rooms had to get rollaway bed !! Booking.com needs to check accuracy of their offerings

• Reviewed: 25 April 2016

I paid for an executive suite, I didn't have any extra anemities in this room. I did not have a microwave or refrigerator. When I asked the staff for access to a microwave they told me I should have requested one when booking and there was nothing they could do for me.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2016

Pool was not up to code. Couldn't see how deep it was. Not clean..dark and gloomy. Nothing on site to do with grandchildren, no shops, limited vending machines, no pop machine in hotel. No choice of dinning and you had to pay for parking!!! Don't think i would come back.

It was close to what we came for. Breakfast was okay. Didn't have containers closed over buffet table so foods get cold fast. Chefs making omlets we're good.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2016

The front desk staff was unfriendly. The pool needed updates but was decent to swim in and they did have a hot tub. They charge for parking but only $10. They also charge to have a fridge and microwave...

We stayed at this hotel just for a small getaway. The valet staff parking ($10 for the whole stay) were really friendly as well as the restaurant staff. The bed and room was very comfortable. I wanted to take the pillows.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2015

No book or pamphlet with checkout instructions or hotel information. Bed was EXTREMELY uncomfortable. Ridiculous that ice isn't available on every floor. The door doesn't keep any sound or light out.

The person who brought us the rollaway and extra pillows and blankets was a sweetheart.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2015

We had made a reservation for a room with 2 queen beds, traveling with 4 people. Upon checking in we were given a room assignment and sent on our way. Our room had a king bed and no room for a pull pout or roll away bed. I called the office and was told they ran out of rooms and there was nothing they could do. I argued with the manager and was finally told they found us a room with 2 queen beds. We ordered room service Barbecue ribs (about 15 minutes before the kitchen closed) They were delivered with out any sauce. We called and were told the kitchecn had closed and there was nothing they could do, again I had to argue telling them the kitchen wasn't padlocked and someone could walk back there and get some barbecue sauce that should have come with the ribs. They finally agreed to see what they could do and we received the sauce a short time later. The food was terrible and the staff was worse!

• Reviewed: 25 April 2015

the breakfast was mushie and doughie. had to keep signing in to wifi during my stay. had to sleep next to the elevator shaft kept me awake must of the night.

I called housekeeping a few times and they where right there for my needs.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2015

I booked a King Suite and got a Queen Double. I called downstairs to let them know and was told, in so many words "Oh yeah, that happens. Sorry". Grrrrrrrrr! Also, there is a pub/restaurant in the lobby, but they closed at 9 o'clock (on New Year's Eve?!).

I like the location, cleanliness and the safety.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2015

no coffee in lobby and it was new years day morning. could have used some. new years eve the bar wasn't open until at least 6 when happy hour was advertised from 4 till 6. not enough staff for the holiday. could not get any service at restaurant so we left.

they couldn't find our reservation. gave us wrong room. after checking in to room found my confirmation and they immediately moved us to the right room. same thing happened to another couple at check in.

• Reviewed: 3 January 2015

We felt like for the price of the room we should have had access to refrigerator/microwave. The staff told us there wasn't even a microwave in the whole facility.

• Reviewed: 2 May 2016

Loud train horns right outside window. Blaring every hour throughout the night. Couldn't sleep.

Clean rooms

• Reviewed: 18 March 2016

The concierge was amazing ! They gave us tips on places to go; the Underground Railroad Park! The restaurant staff treated us like family!!!

• Reviewed: 2 February 2016

The trains at night are terrible, bad location, beds not very comfortable.

Can't get any closer to Kellogg arena.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2016

Shower didn't work b had to change rooms. New room was loud, next to elevator. Both rooms were filthy

• Reviewed: 11 January 2016

train horns,pay parking

clean room, good staff

• Reviewed: 19 November 2015

The train that kept us up

The style and cleanliness of the room

• Reviewed: 15 November 2015

the rooms and hotel was well maintained and clean

• Reviewed: 25 October 2015

There is not much around that location

Very clean and staff was nice

• Reviewed: 3 March 2015

No heat in room.

• Reviewed: 3 January 2015

We reserved a king size bed and when we checked in they didn't have any king size beds so we had to stay in a room with 2 queen size beds

There are also 36 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse McCamly Plaza Hotel traveller photo gallery