Reviews of McKinley Grand Hotel 3 stars

320 Market Avenue South, Canton, OH 44702, USA

#7 of 8 hotels in Canton

Didnt meet expectations

Pictures showed a beautiful hotel but it was old, broken bed, no microwave or refrigerator in the room, front desk staff except Erica were not customer focused. Had to ask front desk for wash clothes 3 times before getting them and the breakfast was very disappointing.

Erica at front desk and cleaning staff was very friendly

Not worth the price

The pool had wrappers ( from what, I don’t know) & hair all in water, the shower was cold water only, the bed sunk in when you touched it. Nothing worked in the hotel( ice machine, vending machine, etc).The staff was friendly. The pictures and descriptions online are NOT what you get when you actually go. I would recommend staying somewhere else, especially if you have children. Did not even bother with the free breakfast & there was no parking included, you have to park on street & then hope you wake up by time (8am) to feed the meter.

The rate was cheap ($69) but no matter how little I pay I expect cleanliness.

The hotel was not very clean. Rooms, fitness center, and pool were all dirty. There was even a bag of the previous guests trash in my room. And an unused tampon. There was also a constant smell of smoke throughout the hotel.

Breakfast was included. They had an indoor pool, and small work out deck outside.

Not so grand

When I checked in they were not super friendly. When they gave me my room key he said and your two breakfast coupons are in there...I said I have three people; my husband, and my son and he flatly replied...it only comes with two. The rooms we're grand...they are less than what we got at every other place we have stayed. I feel like they falsley advertised...online I read Bath and Body Works products...and they were Finesse...they advertised pool table...but it was posted that no one under 18 could use...and my son is 13 and perfectly capable of playing pool responsibility, but it was in the bar. One bed was fine...the other very lumpy.

Honestly: we really only liked the lady that brought us the coffee in the morning.

Not so "Grand"

No parking all street and meters. No maid service one day-took 4 tries to get towels. Bartender not attentive. Too many parties. Fire alarm 2x due to people smoking in hotel. No micro-fridge in room.

Maggie checked me in and she was super nice. The morning wait staff were kind and attentive.

Location was great and we were on motorcycles so parking on...

Breakfast could be better. There was nothing hot except oatmeal (in July??!!) and toast.

Location was great and we were on motorcycles so parking on the hill next to the hotel was not a great option. We did find parking out front, outside the police station under a very bright street lamp

Comfortable beds.

Pool area was not well kept. Fire alarm going off at 2:30 am, and no staff giving us directions on what to do. Stood outside work children waiting to she if it was okay to go back. Went back to room only to have alarm (that want very loud) to go off again. We where told by the front desk to ignore it.

Comfortable beds.

If the hotel would be updated with new fixtures and bedding, it would be a great value and location.

The bathroom shower had hair in the tub and on the walls. The mattress was older and we could feel the bed springs when lying on it. The phones were non operative and we had to walk down to the front desk to let them know that when we arrived the toilet was clogged. The issues were resolved immediately by the maintenance workers.

The check in staff was attentive and check in was fast. They were able to answer questions and help when necessary. The wait staff at the in hotel restaurant was attentive and able to wait on us and all the guests by herself. The breakfast offered a nice variety. The staff made the stay better. The hotel downstairs is nice and I enjoyed the decor and being able to see some of the first ladies dresses on loan from the museum. I also enjoyed the touch screen TV with all the attractions in the area.

The hotel was charming & in an excellent location for...
    • Standard King Room

The buffet breakfast was underwhelming at best. No lunch was served on Sunday & the closest food in walking distance is a McDonald's many blocks away. The Front Desk offered a list of phone numbers for delivery food (5 pizza places & a gyro joint), but had no menus for them. Worst for me personally was that very important prescription medication "disappeared" from my room on day #2 of my stay. I reported it to management & got an apology, but was told they "doubted" their staff would have taken it. The meds couldn't be replaced out-of-state and I was therefore sick throughout my stay.

The hotel was charming & in an excellent location for the events I was attending. The room was clean, bed comfortable, and hallways quiet. Staff were pleasant and helpful.

The location is in area area.
    • Standard King Room

The pool area is dingy looking and needs a total redo. The hotel is old and can use a little updating but the rooms were clean and comfortable.

The location is in area area.

Definitely NOT "Presidental service", at least I hope not....

Pool needs to be emptied and pressure washed for cleanliness, the hotel is very outdated. There is a way to preserve history with updates. Ceiling tiles are stained and nasty. Fitness center looks nothing like picture.

That it had a pool table

Friendly staff

Complimentary breakfast is only for two but didn't say that on website it was my husband, my son and myself let them know that when I booked the room so had to go out to eat breakfast extra money spent

Friendly staff

Absolutely nothing

Bullet hole n shattered glass in pool atrium. Peeling paint everywhere. Moldy hot tub. Mold in bathrooms. Room curtains huge tears and carpet. Worst hotel I ever stayed in 43 tears of my life.

Absolutely nothing

If you have to stay in downtown Canton might be a good place to stay
    • Standard King Room

The pool and hot tub or dirty gross and old. They should have free parking validating parking. The room has no refrigerator or microwave in it. The breakfast was very lacking.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and try to do all they could.

Good Location! Nice Staff!
    • Standard King Room

Inside the shower/bath area there were mold spores :(

The bed was comfortable. We were able to book facial & spas services for the next day!

The housekeeping service was excellent .
    • Standard King Room

That we didn't get parking pass for the garage and normally we have. I didn't like parking on the streets.

The housekeeping service was excellent .

The bed sheets were nice bed was comfy
    • Standard King Room

The water took over 5 minutes to warm in the shower. By the time I got out of the shower the water that wouldn't drain it had gotten to above my ankle . then the exhaust fan was broken so when you got out it was like a dream room. The floors needed cleaned and we stop have not gotten out 15 dollar deposit back on our credit card

The bed sheets were nice bed was comfy

Not bad for the price but has seen better days
    • Standard King Room

The property itself is just very old and needs to have a lot of things replaced. The pool and gym are very worn and rusted. The “sun deck” has seen better days. Breakfast was very average.

The staff were amazing. Super friendly and always helpful. Room was big and very comfortable bed. The location was great for walking around downtown canton.

The staff was awesome, the cleanliness of the rooms was terrible.

The sink in my room was covered with black gunk. I tried rinsing it out but it was too bad to rinse. It did not look like any attempt had been made to clean the room. I was afraid to shower cause that had most likely not been cleaned and afraid to sleep in the bed. It the sink wasn't cleaned I'm assuming they didn't change the sheets either. The staff offered to find me another room. However, by the time I noticed the sink, my little brother had already fallen asleep in his bed. They did adjust my billing the next day and apologized, which I appreciated.

The staff was wonderful.

Location only
    • Standard King Room

Had issues..no ac.. Spoke with front desk twice.. Both times advised somebody will come take look at ac.... Nobody came to fix it room because been hot and humid

Location only

Didn't like that you could smell motor oil through out...

Didn't like that you could smell motor oil through out the hotel and the condition of the pool is terrible and it looks as if mold is growing in the pool area

I actually felt sorry for this hotel, you could tell it was once a great place.
    • Standard King Room

The hotel was old and it showed. This obviously was once a grand place. There were ceiling leaks everywhere, the pool was dirty. The bar/food area was only open for 4 hours - 4pm to 8pm. Just so much wear and tear and it showed. I would not recommend nor stay here again.

I loved the history of the hotel, the grand-ness of it

It was a beautiful room, very clean and comfortable.

Everything was wonderful!!!

It was a beautiful room, very clean and comfortable. We had a very memorable time. Every person we came across, from the wonderful girl at the desk to the sweet man in the bar, we had a very pleasant time with. Thank you for giving us a great mini honeymoon to remember!!A

Horrible and I worried all night. I have pictures but I don't have time nor my phone handy.

The door to the first room has a gap at the top and could easily be broken into. The second rooms door was better but I was always worried because of the door to the first room.

Was already paid for and a holiday weekend so i had to stay

The breakfast selection was nothing. Literally. There was no parking. Had to pay the parking meters and if there was no room to park there. You had to use the garage and pay 8$ each time you left. Rooms were small. No microwave. I wouldnt ever come back.

The lobby was nice. The lady at check in was nice. Thats all

Will not be staying there again.

In the middle of the night toilet over flowed and we had to moved to different room on different floor at midnight. New room plumbing was bad sink and bath tub backed up when you took showers and washes hands and brushed teeth. Room was very outdated only thing up to date was the tv. They gave 13 dollar credit on final bill.

Free Wi-fi was great and the staff was nice

Comfortable, Clean rooms. Parking on street not not preferred
    • Standard King Room

Parking was either on the street or in an attached parking garage that charged $8 a night. Room was cleaned but towels and shampoos etc were not replaced. Breakfast that was included was no more than serve yourself waffle maker and the typical breakfast you get at any hotel nothing that good. Oatmeal was eh.

The room was nice. Would have liked a fridge and microwave. Clean and roomy.

The indoor pool was great for my 4 year old and it was open...
    • Standard King Room

There is no free parking. You either have meters or a parking garage which charges you every time you leave. This would of been nice to know ahead of time. The room needed to be updated. The wallpaper was peeling in bulk and there where many spots where you could tell it was leaking from the ceiling. The toilet barely flushed and it was the worst shower I’ve ever had at a hotel.

The indoor pool was great for my 4 year old and it was open very late.

Passable for one night.
    • Standard King Room

The room was a little dirty and there was sour milk at the breakfast buffet. Other than the milk the breakfast was great though.

It was right across the street from the First Ladies museum which is one of the places we had come to see. While there were no small appliances in the room (i.e. fridge or microwave) there was a business center in the first floor that we were able to use.

Very good accommodations and a great value.

Maybe a greater variety at the buffet breakfast. Again, it was not great, but was very good.

Excellent value. The staff members were very polite and attentive. The accommodations were not great, but were very, very good. I would certainly stay again if I ever return to the glorious Palace Theatre in downtown Canton.

Mixed review

Morning staff was horribly rude and condescending. I addressed an issue and was actually ignored. I repeated myself just to hear the word "ok". The breakfast was mushy oatmeal, warm orange juice with dry biscuits and salty gravy.

Night staff was amazing, we came in middle of night with sleeping baby and was quickly accommodated. Room was comfortable. Ice n drink vending easily found.

Parking is provided at a parking deck across the street.

Beautiful old building...needs management

Parking is provided at a parking deck across the street. I was not aware we'd have to pay to park. The people in the restaurant were non informative and rude.

Looks better in pictures than it really is
    • Standard King Room

property needs renovations. trains come by in the middle of the night and blow their horns constantly for at least an hour every night(1:00 AM). no parking except in garage across the street. $15 a day if you pre-pay, if not, $8 every time you go in/out.

close to where I needed to be.

You get what you pay for!

The hotel was old, run down, the pool was VERY dirty and run down, and that was disappointing to my children.

It was close to the facility I had to go to for a sporting event

Too noisy

I don't know what you can do better, but I was really unhappy about how noisy my neighbors were, slamming doors, pounding each others doors, yelling and talking after midnight. I felt like they were right outside my door. Although I felt safe, when you are alone it's an uneasy feeling. And it was impossible to get to sleep, no matter how comfortable the bed was. Also, I didn't fell good about parking on the street.

McKinley Grand IS Grand!
    • Standard King Room

No light bulb in one of the bedside lamps

Service at breakfast. Excellent recommendations regarding restaurants! Historical info throughout hotel was amazing!

No laundry service i won't book in here again because of...
    • Standard King Room

No laundry service i won't book in here again because of that how do you expect Geist to do laundry if they have to stay for longer than a week or a month that's most of my cases we don't won't to travel looking for laundry services

It is a beautiful property, the room as large and extra...
    • Standard King Room

We were very disappointed in the skimpy breakfast. Having to park across the street in a parking garage, with was an additonal cost.

It is a beautiful property, the room as large and extra special.

Gross dirty

Hotel old dirty bad area location pool discussing bullet holes in the glas at the pool very dirty room smell sheets smell bathroom no pressure dirty very grossed out never go back or recommend

Restaurant was amazing staff very nice

The place was within walking distance to restaurants, and...

The picture of the pool area definitely did not match the facility. Maybe years ago, but it's in need of a 'face lift'.

The place was within walking distance to restaurants, and the palace theatrer.

Comfortable bed

No parking, either you park at a meter or parking structure across the street. The meter is free after 5 until 8am, the parking structure is $8 over night. Although clean a little spruce up would be good.

Comfortable bed

Everything you need
    • Standard King Room

No parking lot and only parking available is on street where you must leave by 8am or be ticketed. Other option was paying to park at city parking garage across street.

Older upscale feel

Saddest and most expensive hotel stay

Pay for parking the breakfast and the ladies at the front desk made a racial comment to my daughter. The hot tub was broken, breafast was the saddest. Rude staff

The pool

The hotel has the potential of being fabulous, but right now it's under staffed with no amenities.

The hotel was understaffed. The restaurant was not open and the bar was open for a few hours only. Although the staff was friendly and helpful, there just wasn't much. No one to help with luggage and the common area restrooms were very dirty. The hotel could have made tons of money from our family, we were ready to eat, drink and be merry !

Location was easy to get to and great for walking around as a group. We had a family reunion there with approx. 30 people.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

The pictures online were basically a lie.

The breakfast was bad. The common areas were filthy. Pool was filthy. Windows in pool area looked to be shot out. The floor had no t been swept forever. Ceilings had leaks everywhere.

The room was clean. The food in the bar was good. The staff was friendly knowledgeable and helpful

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

A good price for a decent room.
    • Standard King Room

A fridge in the room would be nice. And more options on the breakfast buffet, this was the least amount of options on a buffet I've ever seen. Also the police dept. is close by so it was noisy in our room when the sirens when by at 3am.

A good central location downtown. Easy parking in a garage. A very friendly staff and a great restaurant on-site.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Beautiful hotel but not much of a downtown

There was literally nothing to do near the hotel ( the First Ladies museum across the street was closed the day we were there) - we took a walk in the area to find something but quickly returned as we felt a bit uneasy (not many people walking around downtown). We tried the pool but it was gross-rust stains - and the hot tub was cold (no joke). In retrospect we should have stayed in Cleveland and just done a day trip to Canton for the NFL hall of fame

Beautiful hotel, room was comfortable, easy access via skywalk to parking garage

disappointed

Pool had chips in the lining and did not look well maintained. The hot tub had only one working jet. Very disappointed in the pool area. Breakfast was not very good except the coffee and they only give you voucher for breakfast for 2 people even though my room was reserved for 3 people, they make you pay for breakfast after 2 people and it is not worth the cost! They also charge an extra 20$ for a roll away bed (I have never had a hotel charge me for this before) they do not have their own parking lot, you must park on the street or across the street in a garage (the man at the front desk told me the street is safer than the garage 😳)

Hotel lobby is very pretty. Dinner and service at hotel restaurant was wonderful

Have been staying here for the past 5 years,
    • Standard King Room

The staff was rude, the pool area and hallways were filthy. I was never offered coffee for breakfast since the staff was over worked. One worker for over 50 people, skipped breakfast on Saturday and went to restaurant. More than likely won't be returning

The hotel was close to the civic center

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

Never Again

They only offer 2 breakfast meal tickets for a bedroom that fits 4 people had to pay extra for my kids ages 4 and 7. Dressers were broke, room was dirty and out dated. Not family oriented. Staff was rude about swimming only 3 were allowed in, we are a family of 4. I'd never pay to stay here again.

Tolerable

I didn't like the staff the pool was disgusting there was ffeces in the hot tub there were never any towels in the pool area and complimentary breakfast was disgusting the front desk did keep the ice Cream in the freezer for us because they were supposed to put a mini refrigerator in our room but that was not there and then when my 10-year-old daughter in my 12-year-old daughter went down to get the ice cream and put it back in the freezer the front desk wanted to interrogate them and ask them questions that I think it was inappropriate for them to be asking

Stay in Canton....
    • Standard King Room

Room was Great but bed box springs were broke down and needed replacing...

Hotel was central and within 5 miles of everything we wanted to do in Canton.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

OK for short stay.

Small beds. lack of towels for pool area .continental breakfast limited to two vouchers for family of four....staff not so friendly. Ice machines did not work ... No fridge in room..

Lobby was nice and clean... Free WiFi. Rooms were clean.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

The bartender was very friendly, he even went out of his way...
    • Standard King Room

The buffet was empty the majority of the time and when an item was brought in, it was gone in seconds because so many people were waiting for the food. The gentleman who was bringing out the food was not friendly at all. He actually snapped at another customer when they asked if the buffet included any sausage, eggs, or pancakes. There had been a very noisy wedding party that night and when we woke to leave my husband picked up empty glass beer bottles that were littering the hallway. We know it was from the wedding party because they had carried in cases of the same beer that night.

The bartender was very friendly, he even went out of his way to get an ingredient from the kitchen when my husband asked for a specialty drink.

Fun, but wouldn't do it again.

Pool is run down, and needs some serious work. Rooms are getting shabby. Water pressure was nearly gone. The place has so much potential, it just needs some TLC!

The staff were lovely people.

Don't depend on their Wake Up call to work proper.

the sole reason I was in Canton that evening was for a very important meeting at 7:30 in Canton, and I live 1 1/2 hr. away. I asked for a wake-up call for 6:30, and never received it. When I called down to front desk, they said that I should have because it was recorded. The only reason I stayed there was so I could have time in the morning to get to the meeting. I ended up having no breakfast, no shower, no coffee, completely rushed and I was late for my meeting. Also, the air conditioning in my room was very poor.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Grand Hotel -Gross Grout
    • Standard King Room

Our room had water coming in the window, the grout in the bathroom was dirty or needs to be updated. Furniture seems old and falling apart, the suitcase holder broke when we put the suitcase on it to unpack.

Good location and nice lobby. The continental breakfast was great!

Old bed ing...and poor breakfast..fire alarm keep going off

The hotel stay itself was great.

Everyone was very Professional. The parking situation was a bit inconvenient.

The hotel stay itself was great.

Staff was great
    • Standard King Room

Our bathroom was small and outdated

Staff was great

• Standard King Room

Breakfast on morning is horrible..The customer service was horrible and the pool area need redone!!!!

Nice staff, lots of history.
    • Standard King Room

Rooms were a bit out dated and bed was very uncomfortable

Nice staff, lots of history.

Stay Away

everything

Bad bed lumpy water in the sink

Bad bed lumpy water in the sink

Nice staff.

Pool area old.

Nice staff. Great location.

Parking on the street

Parking on the street

It was ok

Not enough staff around the restaurant at night

Not enough staff around the restaurant at night

It was located close to our banquet location

Pool area was not very clean No eggs or bacon on buffet ( sold separately)

Nice decor Large pool

I left early and booked another room - horrible.
    • Standard King Room

The smell was overwhelming and the water didn't drain from the sink, which was tea colored brown.

Large room with lots of space

I was very impressed with the property and its connection...

I was very impressed with the property and its connection with the history of the area.

Excellent staff at this hotel

Excellent staff at this hotel

Fantastic

Your Waffles I Had Could Of Been Better. But They Where Still Good.

The Bed Was Wouderful The Food Was Okay And I Love The Pool.

everything was good.

everything was good.

Just thankful to have chosen to stay here and experience this facility
    • Standard King Room

Don’t have any dislike s

Beautiful Facility