Reviews of Hotel Mela Times Square 4 stars

120 West 44th Street, New York, 10036, USA

#299 of 415 hotels in New York

• Executive King Room

The view out our window was a brick wall, and the room was rather dark.

Great location, close to Times Square without being right in the middle of it. The room was clean and neat.

• Standard Full

The compulsory extra service/wifi fee of $32 PER DAY was extortionate , add that to the city tax and state tax etc means it was almost 50% on top of the price quoted by booking.com This is a hotel with no restaurant no other facilities that i can think of , very small rooms with very small beds ... i am not sure what warrants the extra $32 a day !

The location is good , but due to where other attractions are and how good the metro is , you dont really need to be in such an expensive part of town

• Superior Queen Room

The room was tiny and the photos online were deceiving; just large enough for the queen bed. Both people would essentially be banging their knees on the walls getting out of bed in the morning. Assuming most rooms were small, as the amount of people the congregated in the lobby area in front of the elevators was wild. View from room was brick...leading down to a small square ‘courtyard’ of useless pavement/garbage space. Wasn’t overly clean.

The location was fantastic. Staff appeared very friendly and were helpful.

Reserved 2 rooms at the same time but only one got booked. Took some extra time but the staff was very helpful and got us the 2nd room.

Great location, reasonable price.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Excellent location, just a few steps from Broadway and Times Square. But not so loudly. Room was very clean and beds (we took twin bed) comfortable. Wife worked perfectly. Great place to stay.

• Standard Full

I didn't like that they didn't have a bar in the lobby of the hotel.

I like the fact that i could park and not worry about it until i left and that it was so close to Time square and Central Park. Beautiful City

• Standard Full

Elevators were very slow (3) and housekeeping used one exclusively every morning to early afternoon.

The location to Times Square was fantastic and the selection of restaurants in the area was also excellent. In fact two were less than a minute walk from the front door of the hotel and one was next door.

Other guests had vouchers for meals at restaurant next door. I must have missed that option.

Proximity to Times Square. Restaurant next door was nice and quaint. Room was larger than expected and clean. Appreciated ability to request refrigerator.

• Superior Queen Room

I didn’t realize somevrooms were only large enough for a bed. Resort fee is substantial.

Firstvroom was tiny, but next day they moved us to a King bed room which was comfortable.

We stayed in room 217. It was dark and dingy. There was no natural light what so ever! We looked out on to a filthy enclosed rooftop. The bathroom was dated and the water pressure was very weak.

The bed was very comfortable.

• Standard Full

Hated trying to crawl into bed. My side was right up against the wall. Or crawl out in the night without waking my husband. Elevator was tiny. At 8 AM often had to wait for 2nd - 3rd - once 4th to go down. Other times not a prob. .

Concierge was really helpful.

• Standard Full

Room is small and the bed is also small.

Location can not be better for 1st time NY traveller like me. 1min walk to tme square, and close to many other attraction.

• Superior Queen Room

Having stayed in a hotel number too high to count, this was by far the most unpleasant and unhelpful place I have ever stayed. Amazingly disappointed - but the risk run when you stay outside of the main stream offerings, which I like to explore. Will not stay here again and would not recommend.

• Standard Full

The room was very small and didn't have a desk, we stayed in the back of the Hotel and had to listen to a loud motor running 24/7, the shower had no door or curtain so when you got out of the shower you had to be careful not to slip on the wet floor (a lawsuit waiting to happen).

The bed was comfortable and the location was excellent..

• Superior Queen Room

I didn’t expect the room to be so small, it was hard for both of us to move around at the same time and no extra sitting area other than the bed. But that might have been something I overlooked in the description. But for the price I expected more

Great location, beds and pillows very comfortable, friendly staff

Our experience at Hotel Mela was wonderful. I searched many hotels before deciding on this property and selected the hotel due to other reviews, cost per night, and location. Our room was a "large" king size room, and by NYC standards, the room was very large. The room itself was clean and the bed was very comfy! There is limited counter space in the bathroom and there is no dresser to store your clothes (there is a closet); however, there are lots of outlets for phones, iPads, etc. The location is great, too - half of block away is Times Square but you don't feel like you are in the middle of the hustle and bustle. Our room overlooked an alley, so we didn't get any street noise. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, but we did have drinks at the bar. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful.

• Standard Full

Hotel rooms are very small, and it is very unlikely you will get any sort of a view. We were in a room at the back of the hotel and the only thing you could hear all night was what seemed to be an air conditioning unit.

The hotel is in an amazing location, really close to Times Square and if you make the most of using the subway then it’s really convinient! WIFI was good (when it could connect, it was a bit temperamental) and the bed was very comfortable.

• Standard Full

The room wasn't very clean and there were holes in the bedsheets. It was also very dusty. The hotel can also be noisy as it's near Times Sq and one can hear the sirens at night. Ask for a room with a table as mine didn't come with a table and I had to put some things on top of the air vents.

The location is good if you want to be near Times Square.

• Superior Queen Room

Rooms are very small, but this is typical of NYC hotels. Next time is probably book a double room instead of a single queen room just to get a little more space.

Excellent location as it said in all the reviews. Right off of time square, very quite block, excellent restaurants less than 10 feet in any direction. The staff was helpful and friendly. Free late check out until 1 PM. Extremely clean which is so very much appreciated. Right by the subway, less than 2 blocks away so it’s very easy to get around the city from here.

• Executive King Room

The heater DID NOT WORK properly. It would work during the day but at night it would never reach it would not blow hot air for long at all. I move rooms and had the same problem. It was so bad that I ended up checking out with 2 days to go on my fully paid reservation to and went with a marriott near by. Im from Los Angeles, it was already cold enough in New York. It was like I couldn't escape it. This was my first visiting New York, it partially ruined my trip. I had to sleep in sweats. I was miserable for 2 days. I had to spend a lot more money than I anticipated thanks to their heater problem. Id never stay here again. There's no way I'd chance staying here in the summer. Also, the elevator in unbelievably slow. Painfully slow sometime. The elevator is also very small. The staff was super nice though. They were really cool about checki

Staff was nice.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Front desk staff weren't rude but weren't friendly either. Very small lobby so it may have been because everyone was in their face perhaps? We checked in but did not receive any info on where things were in the hotel, etc. They took my payment info, gave us key cards and we were off. I still have no idea what a "Genius Perk" is at Mela. In all fairness, there was torrential rain and flash flooding in the city both days we were there. Restaurant staff was wonderful.

The bed was extremely comfortable. Great night's sleep. Double deluxe room was quite roomy by New York standards. The restaurant adjacent/part of the hotel was excellent and delivered full room service. Conveniently located to Times Square & Broadway. Good value if you are going full-on tourist in the city.

• Superior Queen Room

Room was small without even one chair to sit on, and it would have been nice to have a frig and a view; however, we’ll sacrifice a view for a quiet location. Next visit, an upgrade to something slightly roomier is on our wish list.

A comfortable mattress, cleanliness, well-appointed bathroom , and quiet location were the highlights that offset the small room. Plus the staff was pleasant and accommodating.

• Superior Queen Room

Rooms were small but expected for the location.

Bed was incredibly comfortable. Location was amazing. Staff was very nice and helpful. Cleaning service was excellent and very considerate. They help our bags safely after we checked out while we waited to leave to the airport.

• Standard Full

Requested a extra bed and was not available till our second night . 1 bed for 3 adults. My husband had to sleep on a chair. Manager could not have cared less. We were not charged for extra person stay.

The room was satisfactory and the bed was comfortable.

Everything.

My stay was like home,you feel very safe and confident gettin in and out without staff asking too many questions.Mela Hotel will be the place of recommendations for money saving while enjoying luxury nice TV sizable bed very clean bath. In short it nice. I been with other places therefore I can distinguish.

• Superior Queen Room

I stayed for 4 nights (27th to 31st March) and had to change my room 3 times. The first room was 904. Too small,no space on both sides of the bed and no space to open your suitcase or any surface to use the coffee machine. The second room was 908. This room was excellent in size but I had to ask the reception desk to move to another room after midnight because of the continuing, roaring noise which would not let me sleep (although I tried hard for over 2 hours). The third room was 517. This room was ok but had no air-conditioning (but this was not a big problem for me). All in all, the incovenience of having to pack and unpack 3 times in 4 nights was great and the price too high for the quality of service you provide.

The hotel staff at the desk were very helpful and kind.

• Superior Queen Room

There was nothing to note as a negative.

The room was very clean and comfortable. Amazing location if you want to be in the heart of Time Square, the Theater District and excellent restaurants.

• Superior Queen Room

The windows don't offer much isolation, so you will hear noise from the street or from the airco fans on the roof. The front of the hotel was under construction, so perhaps a bit difficult to spot.

The location is really close to Times Square. The rooms were sufficiently spacious. I had trouble with closing my window, but fortunately a repair man from the hotel was really quick in response and fixing the problem

• Standard Full

The room was a little bit dusty on top of the closet. The room was a bit too small for what i paid for. The elevators were too small and narrow. I didn’t receive my $100 deposit back. I only received back $68.00. For the price i paid for this room, there should’ve been complimentary breakfast or something. There was barely any hot water in the shower in the room. For 400 dollars that i paid, my room should’ve been a bit bigger than what it was.

The location was close to Times Square.

• Superior Queen Room

I miss the big bowl of apples on the reception desk. Mela, after all, means "apple" in Italian. It was always great to have a bite of the apple when we arrived!

This is my go-to hotel in NYC. Staff is great, beds are comfy, and the location can't be beat!

• Superior Queen Room

Rooms a little small and not enough wardrobe room for 2 , decor looking a little tired but overall nice hotel

The location was excellent for could walk to most places ! The hotel staff we came into contact with were lovely and helpful.

• Superior Queen Room

Room was very small and dark Internet was NOT included and the change was $30/day making a great deal not so great

Great location, very convenient to Times Square and the theater district .

• Superior Queen Room

My first room was not clean. So the gave me another room, with an updated an breakfast included

I loved everything. The updated room was great. The breakfast at the bistro marvelous. The concierge such a wonderful guy that help me a lot

• Superior Queen Room

Room was tiny. Much smaller than it looks in photos. Window to a brick wall. Huge amenity charge for very little value in actual amenities.

Staff was awesome. Great location. Great bistro next door for breakfast.

• Standard Full

I didn't like the fact that when we arrived at the hotel I had to pay an additional amount than what was advertised. I feel it was misadvertising and deliberately done so that guests can book a stay with the hotel, which you think you're getting a good deal but end up paying more for it. Disappointed in both the hotel and Booking.com

• Standard Full

This was our very first trip to New York! and the location was amazing as it gave us an opportunity to navigate our way through the city without complications. However, the gentlemen who received us when we checked in was rude and unfriendly. Furthermore, the charges which were made on my credit card once more without a signature and without clarity is absolutely ridiculous. Therefore, anyone wishing to stay here watch out for those ridiculous charges which you may find on your credit card. Furthermore, a bit of a friendlier service would have been appreciated as we felt unwelcomed.

• Standard Full

The room was small, but it was just me and a grandson for the weekend. The bed was squeezed into the space and it was hard to get in and out of one side. Minor in the scheme of things.

The location was absolutely perfect to get to Broadway and restaurants that we wanted to go to. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The beds were really comfortable.

• Superior Queen Room

Our hotel room was tiny and the AC was extremely loud! We had to turn it off during the night, which we really didn’t like. Bathroom could be cleaner. Also we had a few holes in our walls. It wants our first stay at hotel Mela. But the times before the room was much more worth the money!

The stuff was very nice and always helpful!

• Superior Queen Room

Single rooms are small. Could use a chair or bench to sit on

Concierge was outstanding. He gave us great tour advice and found a pair of lost glasses which he returned to us by chasing our taxi down in the pouring rain as we headed to the airport. A lifesaver!

• Superior Queen Room

The room was a little tight, but serves its purpose. The furniture was worn, but again served its purpose. The bed was okay.

Location was convenient for work. It would also have been great for entertainment had that been part of the reason for my stay. Very clean.

• Superior Queen Room

Would like a mini bar and dresser for clothes.

Great location un theater district, near good restaurants and subway. Room was very clean and offered great value for the money.

We needed a place to stay for one night since we were in town for a show at The Town Hall. This place is in a great spot. It happens to be literally on the other side of the block from the theater. Walk out and turn left, and Times Square is right there. Saju Bistro is next door, and is the origin of room service meals. We did not order room service but did have breakfast on the morning we left; very cute little cafe. For one night, we paid just under $200, after taxes and fees. (Look for AAA discount rates when you book! I'd forgotten to) But for the money, and having easy access to such a part of the city, we were very comfortable and to us it was worth the price. The room was small, but, this is New York. Older buildings tend to have smaller hallways, elevators, bathrooms, etc. That's just how it can be, so no complaints there. The room was clean, and the staff was very attentive and welcoming. I wouldn't mind staying here again, given the opportunity.

• Superior Queen Room

The room was small, and the pillows were very lumpy.

The staff was very nice and Friendly. The room was clean and was perfect for us. We don’t spend time in our room when we stay in city it is just for sleeping.

• Superior Queen Room

heater was noisy all night. room was like a small closet was not as spacious as depicted in photos, like it was squeezed into as small an area as possible

• Deluxe Queen Room

Expected more overall comfort for my money, this place wasn’t cheap. Room was small and fairly basic but functional.

Location could not be better. Bed very comfortable

• Superior Queen Room

Bedrooms, whilst clean and comfy need to be refurbished (along with lifts) Also did not like the fact that money was deducted from my credit card without my knowledge/signature (€280) - only found out when checked my credit card when I got home. (We paid in full in advance, my credit card was given to guarantee any extras - there were none.) When I phoned the Hotel to query this and spoke to the Room Manager, he said it was for wifi and other facilities not used - not happy at all about this

Location & Staff

• Superior Queen Room

There was an additional facility fee of $30 (which booking did tell me ahead of time). The room was small, but exactly what you would expect in a hotel 1/2 a block from Times Square. It was clean and cozy and had everything you could need. Bathroom looked recently redone.

• Superior Queen Room

The building next to our room was illuminated the entire night. We couldn't pull the drape to keep the light out. Very small room but adequate for us.

The price was entirely right for a clean room in a great location. Staff was excellent, personable, and helpful. Delighted that we were able to check in at noon prior to our event. Bed was very comfortable - perfect resting place.

• Superior Queen Room

The management was very rude. They have three elevators and only one works. They're super small so don't being big luggage. Also, they had a room service tray in the hallway at the same spot with food on it for two days straight. Photo included..... This place is nasty

The bellman was nice

• Deluxe Queen Room

The "resort fee" would be our only complaint. We did not use it and the gym was just a very small room with a couple machines. Should only have to pay if you plan to use it.clean

Great location for seeing shows! The bed was very comfy and not much street noise on the 15th floor. The room was clean and the housekeeper, Amy was friendly and accommodating. Staff was pleasant and helpful. We would stay there again.

Location brilliant, facilities new. Great price. Staff terrific, several times on the look-out for additional things they could do for us, which we greatly appreciated.. was recommended by a friend, and would recommend to others too

We were very happy with the hotel. In fact my husband left his prescription glasses in the room I notified the hotel and asked if they could try and find them and send them to us. A week later they were sitting on our front porch! They really went above and beyond.

• Executive King Room

Should of had a mini bar but didn't. Left $16 on bedside table which went missing. Caught up with the maid and she thought it was a tip. Bathroom wasn't all the clean. Reception staff were nice apart from one guy who was very rude. The room was not an execeutive king in my opinion.

The location is Superb

Slightly dirty, there was a sock under my bed and the shower in my daughters room wasn't clean enough.

Loved location, friendly staff especially housekeeping. Comfortable beds, black out blinds I liked the extras such as hairdryer and toiletries.

• Executive King Room

Watch out for the hidden fees. Apparently there was a $30 daily charge for WiFi and other non-disclosed things that I wasn’t aware of at the time of booking. That took our cost from $520 to over $700!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Executive King Room

In-room fridge. Maybe upgrade coffee maker.

Great location, helpful staff. They brought us a playpen. Tiniest coffee maker in room and no in-room fridge (which would have been useful for keeping milk for toddler). Location is great, room (executive king) was spacious enough us with toddler gear, stroller, bags, and still room for him to run around. Wifi was free and actually worked. Would stay again.

• Executive Queen Room

Small rooms, I was initially placed in a terrible room next to the elevator with a single tiny window. I was able to get a different room but had to vacate for the entire day. No apologies or compensation for my inconvenience. Manager was dismissive of my concerns. Also, I came home with bug bites. Makes me worried about bed bugs.

Good location near Time Square.

• Executive Junior Suite

No major complaints. The lobby is small as are the elevators, so if you have a lot of luggage it can be a bit of an adventure getting everything up and into your room.

All in all an excellent choice near Times Square. Fairly cost efficient given the location. Room was clean and staff were friendly. It is New York, so do not expect a lot of space in your room. Bathroom and shower were decent size though and the little office area in our Junior Suite was nice for any emails/work related tasks we needed to complete while on our mini vacation.

• Executive King Room

i arrived at 4:00 pm with 4 luggages and there were no door man to help and when i ask for him they call him never came, there is no mini bar in the room i don't how they think if u need to drink a cold water our to save some kids food as in my case and the elevators are really small and old only fit 3 persons the staff not helping at all I really don't recommend this hotel at all الغرفة ما فيه ثلاجة يعني اذا تبي تشرب ماء او تحفظ شي انت شاريه انسى والرجل اللي على الباب اللي المفروض يساعدك انسى انه يكون موجود الموظفين ما يساعدون ابدا ويكلمونك من طرف خشمهم كانك تشحذ منهم وفيه رسوم خدمة ما ادري ليش من اسوأ الفنادق اللي سكنتها بنيويورك

only location فقط الموقع

• Standard Full

rooms too small. no tub only shower very small. bathroom tiny. bed double for two people.

location excellent. Rooms too small. Place old. Staff very good.

• Executive King Room

Value for money on room was poor. View of a brick wall out of window. And overall standard of room did not match the price tag. Toilet blocked twice in a four day stay

Good placement right in the centre of NYC. Walking distance from most attractions and shopping points.

The noise was unbearable from the street from 5AM to 3AM every night. We were on the 2nd floor. It was the garbage pick up at 2AM to 3AM every morning then the ambulance, sirens, people shouting, etc. AND NO hot water ever, only lukewarm water and the water was a little rusty color so WOW!

The bed and pillows were comfortable.

• Standard Full

Room was on the small side, tea/coffee facilities poor and the view was bad.

Location was amazing, couldn’t have been better. Room was small and tea/coffee facilities were poor. However, it was clean and comfy. Would recommend.

• Superior Queen Room

Charged over $30 For convenience package which was not explained. Never told about gym, fruit and coffee nor did would we have used. Was a little shocked to be charged for this.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Overall we were pleased with our stay however the carpet and the back of the bed could have done with a more thorough clean. The lighting was quite poor which would not have been an issue only I needed to tan for our wedding in New York. Also friends from home sent a package to the hotel for us to be presented upon arrival, three weeks later my friend found out the package was still in the storage room. It was a pity as would have been a nice surprise for us and all the hotel has done for my friends by way of compensation is apologise.

Hotel is basic but very central, location is the big winner here for us. Room was quite spacious considering rooms in NYC, also perfectly located next to the lift and not too noisy either which was great.

• Standard Full

Hotel lobby is crowded. Need more people at the reception desk.

Access to locations and transportstion I need to visit for business. Excellent restaurants nearby. Good value.

• Executive King Room

Couldn’t get the hot water right in the bathroom. Kept adjusting water temperature but kept going to very hot.

The staff and location were great. Everyone was very nice and helpful. The hotel was in the perfect location.

There was a light in the room that was broken, and it shorted out all of the lights in the room. This should have been caught and fixed before we moved in, and could have been dangerous. When we made them aware they came and turned our lights back on, but left that light in that condition. The light was in the headboard right above my daughters head.

The facility was exactly what I was looking for in a boutique hotel, and the location was perfect for our extended weekend. We came for a soccer college showcase in Long Island and stayed to see the city. It was perfect for us and very comfortable.

Did not like having to pay $30 extra per day for things not used such as the exercise facilities and then I’m not sure what else it was supposed to cover because it was advertised that the room came with free Wi-Fi so that should not be part of the fee. Also, when we tried to call to get ice in our room we couldn’t get anyone to answer then when we went to the desk to ask for ice we were told that they would bring ice right up to our room. Three days later we still had no ice!

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Like everyone, wish NYC was less pricey!!

The entire staff was well trained and was attentive and accommodating. The staff anticipated needs. The Bistro fit exactly what we were looking for with regard to our afternoon/evening meal and was a real joy.

• Executive Junior Suite

First night I was not put in the class of room I booked, had to move on Day 2. Reserved with one card, changed cards before the stay, but the original card was charged on check-out.

Close to Times Square, theatre district, my work site

• Superior Queen Room

We had no hot water at all the whole time we were there, was luke warm at the very most. Room situated right by a generator of some sort outside so very noisy.

The bellman staff were very friendly, more friendly than the reception staff who barely spoke to Us when we arrived.

• Superior Queen Room

Rooms are on the small side but good enough for 2 people. Not a lot of room to move around. Thermostat was on a timer and changed when you leave to save money which is fine unless it is freezing outside and the room stays warm which it did not. After returning home at 11pm, the room was 62 degrees when we left it at 70 degrees. Very cold to sleep and the heater made a lot of noise to warm up the room. Overall it is a nice hotel but also very expensive for the size of the room. You are paying for location which is great.

• Superior Queen Room

Rooms were tiny, but comfortable. I found it to be overpriced but that isn't unusual for hotels in this location.

Front desk staff was extremely accommodating and friendly. I had a meeting to attend before the check in time and the man at the front desk took my number and alerted me to the first room open so I could get ready. It was much appreciated!

• Superior Queen Room

We upgraded the room to fit 3 people and they didnt make the bed for the sofa bed for our 3rd friend. Rooms were a bit noise, but it’s near times square and it’s NY so you can expect that anyways..

Incredible location, easy go access at all times, staff was friendly and reception smells so good lol.. rooms were ok in terms of size, good amenities.

Browse Hotel Mela Times Square traveller photo gallery