Reviews of Microtel Inn by Wyndham University Place 2 stars

132 East McCullough Drive, Charlotte, NC 28262, USA

#98 of 138 hotels in Charlotte

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Poorly managed and very unprofessional. Check in and check out both untimely due to computer problems. Managers unable to be contacted. Young ladies behind the front desk in revealing clothes- as in nipples and nipple piercings clearly visible. Maintenance man “fixed” the smoke alarm in my room for it to go off again at 6am. Towels in the hallway for whatever reason which made the floor VERY slippery - but no wet floor sign.

The room was very clean, although it had a bad smell. The bed was comfortable and the room was perfect for two people. The location was convenient to nearby restaurants and close to the PNC music pavilion which is why we booked here.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I would prob badly give the room a higher rating in the comfort area, however, I have never stayed in a noisier hotel. My room was just across from the elevator which was in use through the late hours. Room doors were opening & closing throughout the night & people were carrying on conversations outside my door late night. I hardly got any sleep & if it weren’t a hassle, I would have asked to change my room.

This is a decent hotel & the room was clean. I thought the window bench was a nice touch. It was a comfy place to relax & enjoy the sunlight. The bed was nice & comfortable, as well.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The staff was somewhat unprofessional by not acknowledging standing guest and not honoring online booking and paying regular price.

The room was clean and housekeeping was awesome!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

there was nothing that we did not like

everything was excellent and definitely would recommend it to anyone. the location was great for where we needed to be. the train was a great add from our last visit 4 years ago

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Stayed for 12 nights but waited days to have a question answered by staff - and even then, we got the answer because we went back to the desk, they did not contact us in room as they said they would. Also, no in-room fridge!

Good location and glad to have laundry on site.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The WiFi kept going in and out through out my whole stay.

The property was very clean and everyone was really nice. The location of the property was perfect; I would stay again.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room smelt very musky, like there had been a flood in it that had not been cleaned up properly. Maybe the carpet should have been replaced. The smell took my breath away, like there was mold. The bathroom blow dryer was broken. Not such a biggy. The big thing was the smell. They were full so could not switch rooms for us even though we had booked the room months in advance. Also, there was no coffee after 10:00 in the morning.

I liked the location and easy access to the Charlotte race track. The lobby was very comfortable. I like the fact that it had a work out room. The staff was mostly pleasant.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Well after the first night they charged me 102 more dollors and i dint tear nothing up so i dont know y so a room 250 for 2 nights turned into 350 with no reason.

Nice rooms staff was preety nice.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Waited to be checked I'm 20+ minutes with a line of guest.no staff in sight the ones that were seen just walked pass with heads down.room was non smoking but smelled like cigarette smoke.toilet was stopped up and I was given spray and a plunger which didn't solve the problem.staff wasn't bad but you can tell there not happy with the company that they work for.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The check in process was long, breakfast options were very limited, it was loud, desperate need for an update. Smelled very musty in the halls.

The staff were freindly. And the location was convenient to shops/food

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

I stayed in a non-smoking room, but the entire floor smelled like weed and so did the bathroom. Also the wifi was insanely slow compared to other hotels I've stayed in

The room was nice

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The location,the fact it was infested with roaches and flies and I had to request another room. The fact pulling up on the property to see guest grilling outside like they were at home.sating no pets but a guest clearly had a dog morning staff not friendly during checkout and all-round damp and outdated decor...A hot mess and only continental breakfast

The staff willingness to move me to another room

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Was not told that the room I booked would not have a microwave oven and refrigerator.

Location in proximity to the Cats trolley and shopping was excellent.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The staff at checkin was barely there, watching rap videos on BET at full volume on the lobby television. The bed was lumpy, the pillows were horrible (and we didn’t have enough), there was a hole in the shower wall (creepy), the shower squealed very loudly, the room was very small.

The room was clean and we were provided with the proper amenities like towels, soap and shampoo.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room was really really small but good enough because we were exhausted from a 10 hr drive. I wouldn’t have stayed multiple nights. Breakfast is free but it ONLY consists of bagels, tiny muffins or make your own waffle. That’s it.

Nice clean room but room was very small!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room could have been a little bigger for the price.........

Late night staff checking me in treated me great and helped me with a problem I had!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It had a funky smell and the air conditioner was so loud. The smell was just awful and it made the room automatically seem not clean.

I liked the location and the style of the hotel. The fact that they had room service there every day without skipping a day.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Roaches everywhere! I found a long, black hair in the bed when I pulled back the sheets! I requested a call from the manager. More thank 24 hours have fine by and still I haven't received a return call.

They accommodated us, per our request, to be near our family who was also staying at the hotel.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The landscaping was shabby, entry to grounds was very unkempt. more care needed on maintenance. My mattress was lopsided and uncomfortable. The best thing about it was the Maids keep it as clean as possible.

Proximity to UNC Charlotte was very good.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Curb appeal lacking: room was not thoroughly clean and smelled: Breakfast arrangement and functionality needs alot of improvement.

Staff was accommodating: good location.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The wifi was slow and unreliable during my visit, and it seems to be in a GPS black-hole.

The location is very close to Interstate 85, and a couple of minutes walk from McCullough transit stop, so easy for travelling uptown.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms are very small. Not the usual for this brand.

Beds were comfortable. Close to everything. Great price if you are not going to be in the room much. The room was very small. Bathroom - small shower, low water pressure and toilet ran. Air conditionwr worked great.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The front desk lady was extremely rude when checking in. She told us checkout time was 11am when it was 12pm so we ended up losing an hour. They charged my card for half the payment when we we selected to pay in cash on arrival. There wasn’t a fridge or microwave in the room. Just a bed, toilet, and shower for $150 a night. If someone was talking in the hall is sounded like they were in our room. Maid service came really early.

Parking was easy. It was really clean. Close to the light rail, shopping, food, entertainment.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Friendlier staff. Cleaner eating or breakfast area. Inspector rating was only a 90 at the time. There was a really bad sour smell in the breakfast area the first day. I would not eat anything there. I never could get the Wi-Fi to work and no one could help with connectivity.

Not too much to really like. The location was really good and convenient.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The Television did not work in the room. The channels wouldn't change on the tv. That could have been better.

The Pillows were extra fluffy. The bathroom was super clean. The bed felt like sleeping on a cloud. There was an extra bed near the window to lay which was a plus. It was a very nice stay and enjoyed my time there.

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Not what I asked for. Toilet ran all night. Sink was coming off the wall. I asked for a handicapped accessible room with walk in shower. Staff not willing to change even after I called to verify that they could accommodate me. I would have booked some place else.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

My TV did not work and the front desk did nothing to make it better they told me to go buy more batteries, so my family and I sat in silence the entire weekend. Not to mention our room was across from the elevator so we heard the elevator all day and night and the walls are thin we were awaken by the people next door having loud intercourse. I usually stay here because of the location but we will never stay here again

• Deluxe Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Water pressure in the shower could be better. Took forever to rinse the shampoo out of my hair.

The staff was very friendly. Best staff I have ever felt with. Hotel is in a great location for where we wanted and needed to go.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Was supposed to had fridge and microwave. Got there it did not. So we asked for ice to keep food cold. They had no ice. Ask for a room with what we paid for they said none available. But when looked on line they did.

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

When we arrived the Hotel Desk Clerk Darren told us the the system allowed us to do something that it should not have done and we did not have the room we requested because it was not available. We had initially requested two Queen Bed accessible rooms. We had a wedding that we attended and were staying over. When we arrived the desk clerk Darren said he'd been working on our reservation for 3 hours trying to fix it. He generously provided an upgraded room (2 beds) for the same rate as we would have paid for a one bed. He then escorted us to the two rooms and made sure everything was ok. Best customer service I have ever received! Bookings.com messed up but the Hotel honored their commitment. I will stay again!

The ease of locating a room the the bookings.com app

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Bed was uncomfortable, it smelled like marijuana every where we went very strong odor on our floor; sofa was an extra bed made in the window seal. Tv was in the corner of the room which made it hard to see on both sides of the bed.

Clean room

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The size of the room, the size of the bed. The room was like match box literally! No room to move around in.

I did not like anything about that hotel. I will never return to it again. The hotel had ants, the room was so very small, and the also was the bed. For the money I paid for it, it wasn't worst it. I couldn't even stay the remaining night I had left!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't like my stay this time because, this amenities I asked for we're not accommodated in my second stay. I was placed in a room with a family of roacheethat crawled on me, the safe did not work and the kitchen on some shifts was nasty. I was disappointed that Wyndham of all company's would allow these things to be so noticable. I asked for a non smoking room being with my child. I was place on a floor where smoking cigarettes and marijuana was allow. I must say that there were a few staff members that did their best to help me. However, Wyndham must provide better tool for their staff members to be able to accommodate any issues at the asking.

I truly appreciated the safety of being at Microtel inn by Wyndham.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

My sheets weren't clean at all. They had stains on them. It seems like housekeeper just made the bed up and didn't care to change the sheets. Who leaves dirty sheets on a hotel bed? This hotel!😞

The front desk clerk was really friendly and very polite

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The walls were paper thin so I heard all my neighbors, doors kept slamming, the train noises early in the morning, no refrigerator

The room was good for what I paid for it

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I was charged a $100 deposit and after well the time I've been here and used the same card this is the first time and my money still hasn't been deposited back yet

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Rude as hell front desk clerk. Bed was a full size and not a queen!!! Lied about that. No fridge microwave in the room like I reserved. No phone book, extra toilet paper, tv directory or Bible in the room. Breakfast lacked meat, eggs and fruit!! WTH?Charged for a safe rental which I did not use!!! Give me my money back!!!

Nothing!!

Somebody’s room got shot 30 minutes after we check in. Bathrooms are horrible!!! Nasty and dirty walls. The housekeeping stall looks dirty and also their carts are HORRIBLE!!! Housekeepers look like homeless people with a shopping cart full of crap!!! They need to be more organize and clean! Breakfast was very poor low quality items not too many options to choose from ! Over all I will never stay there again!!!!!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The 3rd shift lady attendant always used the baggage cart to block the little kitchen off when I needed to use it. Then she had the audacity to tell me to take my belongings off the cart. She needs a class on RESPECT, CUSTOMER SERVICE, & PRIORITIES.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bathroom have mold around it commode was too low it was chipped on the seat bath towels was rough and face towels

We did not have eggs the breakfast there was lousy we did not get a queen-size bed we got a full size bed we paid for a queen size. I will never go back there again

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Almost everything had an "Out of order" sign. After checking in and trying to head to our room, the elevator wasn't working. The stay wasn't so bad. My fiancé & I just stayed one night for the panthers game so it was tolerable.

The hotel was very affordable. The manager was very polite and informed us

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Toilet in handicapped bathroom way too low and difficult to stand up off of. Prior guests had to use sink to get up like I did and that is why it is coming off the wall. Grab bar helped but is insufficient.

Cleanliness is very important to me. This facility was clean and the evening staff was very helpful when I was checking in. Rates were reasonable and beds were comfortable..... all in all a perfect one night layover. After a quick complimentary breakfast in the morning I continued on my journey.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The rooms could use a touch of paint but it’s nothing that is a big deal,or really noticeable.

Everything! I am from Kansas City and my boyfriend is from Charlotte. The location was perfect, it was close to everything! The breakfast was always ready and it was a clean area! The spread isn’t big but it had all of what you could need and still a nice variety. The staff was sweet and there for you for whatever you needed! The WHOLE Staff from housekeeping to the front desk everyone was awesome! They were accommodating and were extremely sweet.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The example question proposes to talk about whether the eggs were fluffy.. How about we talk about how micro the micrcotel was. Micro breakfast options (incl. micro muffins, micro juice in the water..i mean juice machine..[no eggs (':]), micro room, micro tv, micro channel options, micro staff friendliness, micro towels. I will say the one things -pillows- I expected to be somewhat small were actually very fat and dense for micro comfortability.

We did enjoy the macro mirror behind the bed, it gave it an interrogation room vibe.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast could have been a little better

It worked for the one night that I was going to be in the Charlotte area. It is a micro hotel and, as a result, the rooms are not really very big, but enough for one person for a short stay. My room had a king size bed, so that may explain its size. Overall, a decent value for the price.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Over charged me for my room and charged $115 to my card for no reason. Its been two days since we left Sunday and the issue was supposed to been resolved saturday. I was told that the manager was going to contact me when she came in saturday. Still haven't heard a word from this person. I'm very dissatisfied and angry. And I plan on being in contact with the BBB if my money isn't replaced. If I had the power/authority I would fire the sorry staff there too. Room smelled like ciggerets and the first set of towels we had was dirty.

Nothing Really. Wish I never booked this hotel.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I thought the hotel room was very nice & clean. I only stayed overnight but it was close to few places to eat. And down the street from Walmart. I thought the staff was nice & helpful. And definitely recommend this place to stay if you ever in the area

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Desk clerk was rude, had to pay a deposit we didn't know about. You don't get your deposit back until after your stay. Hallways smelled like marijuana.

The bed was comfortable. The room was clean.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I requested my room held with 1 credit card and to pay with a different...the desk clerk charged the room to the initial card instead which was very inconvenient.....(3-5 day hold was what they advised, however - the card was charged per a follow up call to the hotel by your customer service rep, who was very professional and proficient.

The room was comfortable....the breakfast waffles were good and there are a lot of selections available to eat...

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No refrigerator or microwave room was to small ice machine on our floor broken keys had to be redone several times room was not cleaned daily

Night staff good

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Couldn't come in the door nearest to our room. Was only an exit door not an entrance door....(?)

Good location for us. Clean, well lit and had a good place to eat within walking distance.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

When the rates go up it's not a 120.00 hotel not to me for that price you should have king size bed better breakfast an excellent staff

Breakfast was good I think for the price they should consider having eggs hash browns

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room was very small and cramped. The staff was a little rude and not very helpful when issues occurred. The room was not very clean, there was dried wax all over one of night stands and drops some dried unidentified product in the shower. Very noisy, paper-thin walls with the other rooms. Also there were other guests that were drinking, talking and dancing around their truck late into the night (past 1am) in parking lot of the hotel that gave on our window. It was very difficult to sleep, and they didn't stop even after being asked to stop twice. We overslept in the morning as a result and missed breakfast before hitting the road again already exhausted. I would not recommend this hotel or stay there again.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

one rude lady at time of check in. There were no free breakfast, that's about it. The prices are ridiculous for the things that they offer

Huge, there's plenty to do in this hotel alone Staff was great, made sure we had west we wanted overall.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Absolutely horrible customer service. The front desk clerk, Angela, was extremely rude and unhelpful. We will NEVER return. Parking is sketchy, doors are not secure, the AC didn't work properly, and you will not get any help if the manager is not there.

Nice location....close proximity to many stores and restaurants.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was mold in the air unit in my room. I have yet to hear from this property to even apologize for it. I was sick for the last day, plus 3 WEEKS after my stay due to asthma and my allergy to mold. Very disappointed and still very mad. Was never offered a refund, the manager refused to speak with my boyfriend or I whenever we called, always stating "the manager is not in." Don't stay here if you have allergies or if you would like a clean and fresh sleeping environment.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Would like to have had a refrigerator and/or microwave in the room.

The rate was good. Breakfast wasn't bad (cereal, muffins, bagels, toast or waffles plus coffee or juices).

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Where do I start: Toilet was not installed properly so the seat would not stay in the up position The shower curtain rod apparently had been ripped out and reinstalled incorrectly so that it sagged in the center. This caused the shower curtain to slide toward the center letting water get all over the floor The top to the bed side table was peeling off The bottom of the bed side table was jagged and uneven Paint was chipped off the walls The closet didn't close properly because the doors were misaligned No pets were allowed so my dog spent the night in the car (even though the website claims Microtel accepts 2 animals) The overall feel of the property was dirty and dingy. Narrow halls, loud employees and the brightest lighting I've ever seen in the room.

The bed was actually very comfortable

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The water pressure in the shower wasn't very much, especially for my wife to wash her hair. There wasn't A stopper of any kind in the bathtub so we had to make one. The breakfast wasn't very much with the muffins and bagels etc. being frozen

Check in and check out was simple and fast, especially due to having booked our room in advance. The staff at the front desk was very friendly, courteous, and helpful. There was plenty of parking available. The room was clean and comfortable. The air conditioning worked well and the bed was clean and comfortable.

No complaints.

We needed a simple place to spend the night to go to Bank of America Stadium early the next morning. It was very modern and clean. It was convenient to everything and we enjoyed a short walk to IHOP for breakfast .

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The rooms were small...as expected though. Perfect if you only need sleep and don't have a large family or small children.

Clean Lobby. Clean Rooms and Breakfast area.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Bed and pillows were very uncomfortable. Bathtub had mildew, it just looks like they made a cheap renovation.

Location was nice, parking was good, hotel staff (one in particular) was friendly.

• Queen Room

Manager hardly ever on duty,especially during a very critical time. Very disappointed and unprofessional!

Some of the staff lack little experience but overall they were very helpful.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Elevator was not working when I left and returned that night or the following morning. Ice machine was not working as well.

Location was convenient and room was clean. Just wish it came with small refrigerator or microwave.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The manager was a little rude. There was a mistake on the hotels staff behalf and she was very unpleasant to work with.

Cleanliness and convenience was excellent. Hotel and surrounding area was very nice and friendly. The hotel did not seem crowded.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room206: Shower pipes groaned LOUDLY. A/C creaked like a ghost door opening EVERY time the A/C shut off - all night long. (Crazy?!) Lights over the bed BUZZED LOUDLY, we had to shut off. Bathroom door jam needs painting - looks like they started but didn't finish. All doors in hotel look like they have been through a flood...really torn up on the bottoms...kinda creepy.

Clean. Safe. Friendly staff. Breakfast ready at 6:30am - I need it early!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

They told us there was supposedly a ledge with a cushion where you could sit at... There was no cushion. Yet I noticed it in other people's rooms. Housekeeping were pretty incessant as far as trying to get us out, which I understand. But if I tell you to allow me some time to get ready to get up, why are you rushing me? Front desk staff was seemingly never at the front desk.

It was okay for the money spent.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It was rather noisy. Could hear people talking in the halls and doors slamming. Breakfast area was crowded with 6 people in there. Not the best breakfast I've had for sure, but we made do. Lots of carbs.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was comfortable and clean. Our room didn't have refrigerator or microwave but we were permitted to use the microwave in the breakfast area even though it was closed.

• Deluxe Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Got there at 1:50. They said no rooms would be ready until 3pm. Friends however check in at 2:10pm. No eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit for breakfast. Bathroom had paint peeling from walls, side of wall being held up with duck tape. Toilet in handicap room is too low.

Waffles

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Was shocked that there was not even a mini refrigerator in the room, no ice machine on the floor, so good luck having something cold to drink. I checked in on a Sunday, looked like something had just been spilled on the floor in the lobby and the only elevator, which was impossible to avoid rolling luggage through. On Tuesday when I checked out, still there. Apparently no mopping of the floor in three days.

Room itself was clean and quiet.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Continental breakfast was closed; not available at all; Coffee was horrible! ice machine broken on the floors; bath towels were extremely small and rough Too pricey for the experience

Convenient to where we needed to be

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Every time you enter the facility there was a smell of marijuana as well as the lobby, the elevator and the hall ways. Staff came off the elevator smelling like marijuana.

The linens were changed daily and the a/c worked.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel room had a bad smell. The hotel had a bad smell. People were outside smoking and drinking and cursing right at the front entrance. It was like I was in a ghetto.

One of the ladies at the reception was nice. That's about it.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bed sounded like the left headboard joint (looking up from the foot of the bed) was weak, possibility needed to be tightened. It definitely lacked support on that corner. When entering the room had an odor of chemicals, perhaps because it had very recently been cleaned. Not sure if the smell went away, or we just got used to it.

The staff was friendly and helpful (BIG PLUS). Rooms are nicely laid out given the size and seemed to be reasonability insulated from noise.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

the smell of someone smoking weed on the floor and the quietness of the guests who are on floors above you. The noise levels could have been contained.

the comfort of the beds and cleanliness of the rooms.

Browse Microtel Inn by Wyndham University Place traveller photo gallery