Reviews of Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre Hotel 4 stars

1625 Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA

#71 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

Lovely hotel

Rooms are modern, spacious and clean. The lobby, lounge and bar had a great casual vibe. The bar had a great selection of drinks and the “bar bites” were delicious, especially the spicy hamachi.

Good location, great service
    • King Room with City View

The bathrooms is beautiful, however a soaking tub would be preferable. In the past I have received complimentary passes to the Kabuki Spa which is no longer available. I understand that you are no longer partners however it was a specific reason for booking this hotel.

The room was very navigable, gorgeous view and convenient location. The bed and linen were wonderful, it was difficult for me to be productive when I had such a relaxing bed.

Kabuki Review

The rooms are a bit tired. The Japantown location means you will need to catch a taxi or uber to most places.

Beds were comfortable and the rooms were spacious and kept clean. Lobby and bar area were great.

Hotel well positioned to visit San Francisco.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

room would benefit with more lights (a bit too dark in the room) Breakfast, while healthy, is expensive

Hotel well positioned to visit San Francisco. Clean room. parking in the Japanese center is convenient (not necessary to use valet parking as direct access from the parking to the hotel)

Japantown's blessing

Hotel Kabuki was an excellent choice and value for your money if you look at the SF prices overall. Japantown is in the middle and everything is superclose, we walked everywhere. Many excellent Japanese and Asian restaurants nearby, specially loved the Kippu Sushi just across the road. We loved the decor, bed, silence, coctails at the bar etc. Definitely booking Kabuki if back in San Francisco someday! Just to mention we did not have breakfast at the hotel (we sleep late) and did not use the car parking, though it seemed really comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

The room, the hotel interior design, the service, the rate...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

I was sharing the room with my cousins, the issue was with the shower and bathroom area as there is no curtain meaning no privacy. We solved it by using the toilet door to close the shower area.

The room, the hotel interior design, the service, the rate and the location.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Gorgeous lobby, room pretty average.
    • King Room with City View

"Private balcony" more of a ledge. Some areas of the room were a little shabby.

Very stylish lobby area and great cocktail bar with happy hour. Good location for local restaurants on Fillmore Street. Nice bathroom.

Excellent hotel!

No complaints. I would stay here again any time.

I loved the city view from the room. Perfect location. Very unique property. Clean rooms and friendly staff.

The hotel suited our purpose for a one night stay in a clean and comfortable bed perfectly.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The bed was very comfortable. The room was well lit. The room was small, but we felt that was part of the style of the hotel and it suited us perfectly for the purpose of the trip. We were pleased with the room.

Quiet location and peaceful hotel
    • Corner King Room with City View

The neighborhood is very pleasant and within a reasonable distance to major sights if using public transportation. Hotel is recently remodeled and very pleasant and quiet. good Japanese restaurants in the area.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Very good

Very expensive breakfast and they even wanted tip from us. I mean, as being a hotel guest, this should be part of the service of the already expensive hotel.

Huge and very good gym for a hotel.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Beautiful hotel that is an experience in itself. This is my kids' favorite hotel.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The hotel breakfast was sparse and poorly organized. A double room with no bathroom privacy may not be what some families are looking for.

The location and ambience were excellent. My children love the Japan Center, and loved being right on the mall. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the room was beautiful. We especially loved the garden and the koi pond.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Hotel Kabuki was able to please even this hotel snob
    • King Room with City View

I would have liked a breakfast option other than the $28 buffet...although it was well prepared, sometimes you just want a croissant and a coffee, instead of the full commitment to a buffet.

The very well-curated design aesthetic, free bikes and location.

Comfortable corner room with nice view of the surroundings.

Expensive valet parking.

Comfortable corner room with nice view of the surroundings. Safe neighbourhood with plenty of restaurants and bars around. Cozy and enjoyable lobby space.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Very good hotel with friendly staff and cozy atmosphere.
    • King Room with City View

Very good hotel with friendly staff and cozy atmosphere. The rooms are spacious, we a room with double twin beds and very comfortable to sleep in. The hotel is also very close to many option for dining. we only had the hotel breakfast one time but enjoyed the healthy option of the breakfast which suit our preferences :) The gym is also very good, we used it every morning. We will be back another time on this hotel.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Very Clean, Standard High City Prices
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Too many fees, very expensive breakfast for what you get, no door on the bathroom, smell of pot smokers in the air vents

Modern design, it was very clean, good location, good service

A beautiful Japanese styled hotel with stunning interiors & comfy rooms, just watch the bar prices!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

At check in staff were very friendly but bar staff were a little standoffish/inexperienced. I am not a fan of US style "amenity" or resort fees so be prepared to have these added to your bill ($34 per night I recall) whether you like it or not. Whilst we loved the boutique nature of the hotel the bar prices were equally boutique; $28 for a single glass of Sauvignon Blanc is taking it too far!! One of the 2 lifts was out of order throughout our stay meaning it was slow getting up to our room.

Beautiful boutique hotel in a nice, but quiet part of San Francisco. The lobby and communal areas including the Japanese gardens were visually stunning, very chilled and we all loved the Japanese theming. The rooms were equally elegant and the views over SF were fabulous. The hotel doesn't at present have a restaurant but that didn't present a problem given the plethora of good quality restaurants nearby. They do however (for a fee; $21 for adults) provide breakfast which was of a very high quality; some of the best oatmeal we had ever eaten!! The gym is very well equipped and, for a hotel, quite large. They also run yoga classes for those tempted. Japantown itself is a quiet and calming part of SF and the nearby Japan Centre has everything those interested in Japanese food and culture.

Safe district, very comfortable bed, good interiors and...

I asked the hotel to charge my card 2 months before the arrival for my personal reasons - there never replied. At the check-in gave a weird explanation that they needed to roll the cars itself (a) I travel a lot and know perfectly how other hotels do it (b) they could respond at least explaining that it was impossible and why. Without any warning blocked 100$ for extra expenses (was not necessary because that had my card details + would be great to first inform and then block the money).

Safe district, very comfortable bed, good interiors and bathroom. Nearby cafe, many restaurants and supermarkets.

I liked the gardens, the decor.

There were no interconnecting rooms.

I liked the gardens, the decor. The staff were friendly and helpful. I loved the healthy breakfast and the location in Japan town near great restaurants.

location, amenities, cleanliness
    • King Room with City View

I had a problem with the hotel about my credit card, and did not like how they were handling this situation. I had to call them email them every day but did not get any response or was put on hold for too long and then nobody picks up. At one point, I was questioning if they blocked my number? They did end up getting back to me, but a problem that can be solved quickly shouldn't last a whole week. They would transfer me to the manager, and the manager never answered the phone making me leave voicemails everytime.

location, amenities, cleanliness

Very nice lobby and bar and nice staff
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Room very small, bathroom without door, tv doesn’t work, micro terrace super dirty, very long lines for elevators WiFi very slow, you have to pay 2 times for upgrade the speed Super expensive for what it offers, no good value for money

Very nice lobby and bar and nice staff

First time in San Francisco
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The breakfast area was too small. It was a lot longer walk from the tram than it looked on the map.

Hotel grounds were beautifully kept. Staff were friendly.

The location is great in the middle of Japantown
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The airco did not work properly, the room looked a bit outdated. The toilet did noy have a separate light which was not very handy at night. Beds were small.

The location is great in the middle of Japantown

Very Disappointed !!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Size of the room No door for the bathroom Normally included bikes but we are 4 and they have just 2 bikes Elevators so long slow Finally to expensive for all defaults ...!!

Lobby Breakfast

The hotel has a nice vibe, the lobby is really cool, the...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The hotel has a nice vibe, the lobby is really cool, the bedroom was well kitted out, but on the small side, and very warm during the night, we had too control the temperature by opening the window.

Ok let’s start with the hotel itself.
    • Corner King Room with City View

The extra fees added to the stay

Ok let’s start with the hotel itself. We got a corner king room and it was huge! Cannot complain about the room at all. Massive bed, tv and great bathroom. The gymnasium is world class. It has everything you need and is open 24hrs. Only one lift working for our stay duration which meant a long wait each time using it. The staff were fantastic and helped with any questions, the bar has a good vibe as does the communal area. We didn’t have the breakfast but for what I could see and for the price they were asking well, looked not worth it but cannot honestly judge that. The hotel itself is approx an hours walk into the main part of town which is tough going with the San Fran hills and japan town itself has some great little food options but nothing else much to do there. Like the majority of reviews I suppose the only real let down is what you think you’re paying prior to arriving and what you are actually going to pay! I get it in terms of taxes, fees etc but I have added the booking.com price we had been given for our stay and what we actually payed with all the fees attached so just be prepared for that. I’m not sure what other hotels charge but I’ve never had that occur anywhere else prior. All in all a nice stay but is it worth the $400 aud a night that we got charged for a place that far from the main hub, I think not.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Great city view
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The bathroom was oddly shaped? It was not bothersome per se, just perplexing. The shower area could have had more standing space. In our room, at least, there was this seating block (but also not really?) in the shower that might have been planned to be a bathtub. Anyway, it ate up about 60% of the shower area. Like I said, it was not bothersome just perplexing.

We loved their lobby's decor and gardens. But most of all, we absolutely loved the view of SF that our room provided us!

Great rooms, comfy beds, spectacular veiws, and fascinating shower area.
    • Corner King Room with City View

I would prefer a room that has a microwave. The rooms were pricy, but the views were amazing.

The staff was very professional and the location was great. The king corner room had a perfect view of the city. I especially liked the huge flat screen TV.

Not a great value.
    • King Room with City View

Parking was high. Bathroom was small, nowhere to hang wet towels. No door on closet. For almost $300 per night a complimentary continental breakfast would've been nice. Amenities were extremely weak and skimpy, not even good quality.

Lobby decor. Bed was comfortable. Gym was decent. Location was centrally located. Relatively quiet.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Noisy, staff unhelpful and fairly indifferent

Most things

We were put in a room with a lift noise screeching every 3 minutes, got no sleep, when I asked to move they subjected ear plugs and said that no one else had complained!! I had to insist on being moved

Great find in Japantown!

A delightful hotel recently renovated with eclectic Asian style. The lobby and bar area are great fun; we wanted to sit there all the time. They are still working to add more stylish elements indoors and out. So surprises await!

They are free filtered water in the lobby.

The underground parking was only unavailable during certain times.

They are free filtered water in the lobby. The water station was convenient and poured out hot or cold filtered water

Good building, unclear pricing
    • King Room with City View

They are not clear about the fees. The last day they charged us an extra fee of 27$ per day for using the WiFi and the shampoo in the bedroom.. They also added to the bill a donation to a Japanese organization without even asking! I felt scammed!

check your bill!!
    • Corner King Room with City View

they force you to pay for the wifi the gym and the shampoo. you’ll see in your bill a 30$ fee per day as amenities fee. Oh, and if that wasn’t enough, they will charge you a donation for japan in your bill as well. Total scam!

The property was recently remodeled and they did a fantastic...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The paper products (Toilet and tissue paper) were of poor quality and the towels too. I even needed to buy tissues and Toilet paper at the pharmacy. One of the elevators didn’t work so we needed to use the service elevator. They charged us for Valer Parking but the Parking space was literally outside the door so every time that we asked for our car they kept giving us our keys instead of bring in the car to the door LOL

The property was recently remodeled and they did a fantastic job with the lobby it is super chic and the bar is gorgeous too.

Amazing location, beautiful views
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The air conditioner did not really cool off the room, so I opened the balcony slider to let cool air in the room.

The amazing location and the beautiful interiors. The walk in shower with built-in seating area is very luxurious. Nice big television with Netflix option. Lovely view from balcony. Very comfortable pillows and bathrobes.

Amazing hotel in san franciscio

All was amazing. Too bad the garden was closed for renovation. The parking lot is a bit small, but you can find alternative options close by (eg: Japan center garage for 23$/day)

The hotel and the room are beautiful, we had a view on garden. Very big room ; very clean and nicely decorated. Wifi working well. Big TV screen. Coffee machine, coffee capsules and fridge in the room. And HUGE shower space! Location if great to visit the city. The staff is very nice

Room is nice and well maintained.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

One day they forgot to clean the room. Called them up they just sent someone up with new towels. The lobby is crowded at times when they have functions going on.

Room is nice and well maintained. Safe neighborhood.

The Hotel was excellent and comfortable, close to Fillmore shops and restaurants

Room WiFi service did not work. We were given a number to call by front desk, (instead of front desk calling), from which we were told that the hotel had been notified that the web portal system was not working, but not fixed. Guests should not have to call a third party provider to fix what was a Hotel owned problem.

Friendly Wait staff

Fabulous stay at Hotel Kabuki; I will definitely be back!
    • King Room with City View

I loved my stay at Hotel Kabuki. Everything and everyone was so welcoming! The room was comfortable, the gym was great and the staff were exceptional! I will definitely return.

Overall an excellent stay with good service and nice rooms
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The only issue I had was with the toilets. The toilet did not have a proper door to the shower area. It would be better if there is a solid door that separates the room from the toilet, negating the need for a shower door since the area is small. An alternative is curtains. A small issue but that is what would make me rate them 10/10.

Guest check in was seamless with very friendly staff that struck up a nice conversation while checking you in. Facilities are great, providing bicycles and a gym that is useful for the fitness buffs. The lobby is very well decorated and modern. The room itself is decently sized for a hotel and newly renovated. The bed was comfortable and the room fit 3 adults comfortably. Location wise, it is convenient and Japantown has alot of food options. Highly recommend since price is also one of the best for San Francisco.

I had a great stay.

I feel that the visual atmosphere the hotel has created is great! And the staff was very polite, and the room was clean. Plus the bedding was so nice... I enjoyed my stay.

Pleasant stay
    • Corner King Room with City View

We visited this hotel many times before and it could be that the hotel was exceptionally busy at this time but we felt that overall we had not received the service as in the past: - there was no welcome drink and when we asked about a bottle of wine which we always received in the past they simply said that it was discontinued - our corner room was only on the 5th floor which meant much more city noise - no water bottles in the room (you get plastic caps and water station only in the lobby instead which is not the most convenient) - the price of drinks in the bar (13USD+ for basic choices) - long wait to reach reception via phone - breakfast menu seems limited (not worth it - go outside) - aircon working/not working - don't like the 27USD/night hotel fee. I knew about the fee in advance but in any case it is just a dishonest practice of all hotels (not just this one) to appear initially cheaper before you book it.

- This hotel is excellent if you have your own car because of the access to the underground garage with elevator directly to the lobby or your rooms. - We also liked the location which is very friendly to walk around and with a lot of food options (amazing Jane The Bakery is just a walking distance) - Another plus points: very friendly staff, clean rooms, unique and big shower, huge tv, nice view and location out of the noisy city center but very easy to take Uber anywhere and be there in 10min, great gym

Great staff, very helpful and friendly.

Bed was a bit firm for me but that's just personal taste. Traffic on nearby Geary Street can be a bit loud during commute times, but generally not late at night so it really was not an issue.

Great staff, very helpful and friendly. Good central location for exploring the city. Handy to public transit, and in a lively neighborhood. My room with king size bed was large, nicely decorated, and had a great view. Really enjoyed our stay at the Kabuki.

Cool, laidback hotel with a chilled out vibe.

Somewhat nosy when facing the street, and they didn’t seem so strict on no smoking rooms. We had a couple of days being woke up by the smell of cigarettes from a nearby room. Large gap at the bottom of our door meant the smell and any noise was quite disturbing. Stickers on Windows and a reminder from staff at check in about not smoking could possibly have helped.

Cool, laidback hotel with a chilled out vibe. Location was perfect for Pacific Heights and Fillmore area with plenty of bars and restaurants.

Great location and an easy walk to The Fillmore along with...
    • Corner King Room with City View

There were issues with the elevators. Only one seemed to be working the majority of the time I was there.

Great location and an easy walk to The Fillmore along with other shops, restaurants, cafes.

The room was spacious and had a great view .
    • King Room with City View

Breakfast is pricey , but San Francisco is generally expensive so it was to be expected. Guests can find somewhere else to eat although choice wasn't great in Japantown

The room was spacious and had a great view . The reception staff were very friendly. The hotel is a bit far from the main tourist area but it was only a 5-10 minute walk to Union Square.

Beautiful hotel, the lobby and bar area are gorgeous with a...
    • King Room with City View

The one thing that annoyed us was being told on arrival we had to pay extra for the Guest Amenity Fee which was implemented in May, it was also not explained properly what this was and was just suddenly part of our bill which we had to question. Turns out it covers WiFi, gym, free bike rental etc. but considering we paid £200 a night I think they could at least give you free WiFi and put a charge on anything optional, as a lot of the things on this list might not be of interest to you anyway. Saying that, after we told them we had not had this fee included in our original booking they wavered the fee, but I still think that they had a responsibility to not charge us for something they implemented a few months after we made the booking

Beautiful hotel, the lobby and bar area are gorgeous with a great vibe in the evenings and the rooms are also lovely, especially the ones with city views. I really liked the location, I felt safe here unlike some other areas and could happily walk around at night. Close to some great streets such as Fillmore St which has plenty of amazing breakfast places and cafes. We walked to some of the main sites from here which was very enjoyable. We would definitely stay here again

No food available and the hotel tried to overcharge me during checkout.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

1- No food was available in the hotel. Also we needed micro-vawe to heat some food but the hotel failed to provide. 2- The checkout balance was 200$ more than booking price. They tried to overcharge me.

Hotel with pleasant design.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Couldn't adjust temperature in the room - thermostat seemed to be out of order. Very questionable bathroom solution - there is no separate light switch in the toilet, and in the night you have to turn on the light both in the bathroom and the toilet, and since there is no door between the bathroom and the room, part of the room remains illuminated as well. Balcony is very narrow - you cannot even place a chair there.

Hotel with pleasant design. Very friendly and welcoming staff, especially the doorman. Very nice and cosy lobby and the bar area. Great neighborhood with many Japanese restaurants and shops.

Overall a great stay in a modern, relaxed and friendly hotel.

Still a bit of construction/refurb work underway, but it's not too intrusive. Hidden fees and confusion over billing. The final price ended up being a lot more than what was listed on Booking.com. When I arrived I was charged over $120 extra and was told that breakfast was included in that price, but I was never given the option to skip breakfast. The setup of the bathroom is a little odd: there is a door separating the shower/toilet from the washbasin, but no door separating the washbasin from the bedroom. Lacks a little privacy but not terrible.

Location: located in a cool area of town (Japan Town). Not in the heart of downtown SF, but everything is within walking distance and the area feels very relaxed and safe. Some great restaurants nearby. Staff: all very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast: a good selection of quality food and juice at breakfast. Design of the rooms: following the refurb, everything is very modern and chic. Amenities like Netflix-connected TVs and the 24 hour gym. Recommend asking for a south-facing room.

The hotel is beautiful nice renovation of lobby and rooms.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Air conditioning is poor room reached 78 degrees at night We eventually gave in and open the slider door but that was noisy and I felt not so safe😟

The hotel is beautiful nice renovation of lobby and rooms. Staff friendly and helpful

From traditional zen, now remodeled to urban Japanese hipster hotel
    • Corner King Room with City View

Some of the remodel ideas were a little jarring; ex.— exposed pipes, scraped ceilings and walls with no texture, and room doors that slam like barracks. Too many add-ons , fees and taxes No parking validation for public garage ($23/day) and /or $50 day valet at hotel Add at least 100 dollars per day for whatever quote you get for extra fees parking etc.

Good location, nice views, pictures and decor in room Lobby is a nice area that actually gets used as a nice gathering place

Would stay again, preferably not in a newly remodeled room.

No heat in the room. Newly renovated area of the hotel . Called desk told to insert room key into slot and still did not get warm. Wife got up 2am to use toilet, overflowed. I went downstairs at 5:30am, used the restroom in the lobby, to complain about no heat and the toilet overflowing. Apologies from desk. Engineer came a little after 6am, fixed toilet and said there were problems in the system as nothing was blocking our toilet. As for the heat, he tried to fix the problem but could not. We notified the desk when we were leaving for the day so that they could get the heating fixed. Returning to the room early evening and temperature was better, but still not that warm. Staff gave us breakfast as a gesture of goodwill. Thoughtful.

The pluses: The bed was fantastic. The sheets were perfect. The location was right where we wanted to be. The staff were also quite warm and welcoming.

Loved it

We thought we were ordering happy hour items at the bar but in reality weren’t. We should have asked, though.

Quirky modern style with super friendly staff. Walking distance to the Fillmore and restaurants.

Very unprofessional and not worth the price tag

Where to begin... my husband and I stayed here for two days to kick off our 5th anniversary trip before heading up to wine country. The hotel was under construction bc they are renovating it. Despite the fact that it was still very much under construction they sprung a $27 per day "resort" fee that was not included in our Booking.com negotiated final price. They added it on to our final bill and when we showed them that this resort fee was never given to us when booking the hotel online the lady at the desk at first said that I would need to get a refund from booking.com. When I explained that this was not Booking.com's issue - they didn't quote me that, then the lady said that we would need to speak to her manager who would not be in until 11am. We gave her our number and asked that the manager call us before our credit card was billed. He didn't call and our card was charged the extra $70 dollars in "resort fees". We called the hotel again the next day to speak to a manager and was again told that he was not in and would give us a call around 3pm. He did not call. We called again and were told that "it was a very inconvenient time for us to be calling and that the manager would call us" - he still has not called us. I would not recommend this hotel because at the price that we paid with the resort fees added we could have stayed at the Fairmont. When you are in this level of price range per night you expect if there is an issue with a customer that it be dealt with professionally. The idea that there isn't a manger ever on site to take care of these types of issues is ridiculous. We don't normally spend this much per night, but it was our anniversary trip and wanted to splurge a little. It put a sour note on the beginning of the trip.

Japantown had some amazing food within walking distance.

The functional design.

Breakfast started at 8am which was too late for me. I needed to leave before then for meetings. They also only offer buffet breakfast. Wasn't possible to get something smaller.

The functional design.

i would stay here again and would put my out of town relatives up here
    • Corner King Room with City View

TV didn't work at first; front desk clerks seemed dense.

The location is wonderful. i love Japantown, ramen, sushi, Kabuki spa, divine shopping. the hotel had a beautifully designed lobby bar with great drinks, good size room (king deluxe) great light, spacious shower with waterfall shower head. in-room coffee was great. good bed. fantastic linens.

Very clean room but Small bedroom & no door into the bathroom
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

We were a group of 3 friends - there was No door on the bathroom which we had an issue with, there was a draught under the bedroom door, beds are small & bedroom itself was also small.

Very clean & location was fine with nice view.

It’s very posh and has the hipster vibes.
    • King Room with City View

I had an amazing encounter with the first receptionist that checked me in, however when I had checked out it was evident that the person was over their shift and wanted me out the door pronto. Also, they charge a lot for tourist fees and tax so make sure that you’re aware of all of the taxes that are included into your balance. The accounting team (Annalise) was able to support me regarding the extra $100.00 that was added due to a new addition of a tax fee. All I had to do was show that I’ve been charged other taxes and fees except for the new tax and they reduced the price down ($100.00). Other than that, I definitely will be a client moving forward!

It’s very posh and has the hipster vibes. The room is SUPER cozy and minimalistic and it’s super clean! The cleaning staff are super nice. The person who checked me in was AMAZING! Made me feel super welcomed and had a very positive attitude and was EXTREMELY hilarious. I believe his name is Domingo. He’s AMAZING. Definitely made my stay at the kabuki even that much better. Definitely will continuously come here!

Worst hotel stay in 35 years of traveling weekly on business.

Most everything.

The room is big. There were unexpected charges like the amenities charge. They did not make the wake up call I requested. A breakfast that is free at most places is $20+ per person o top of the $27 daily amenities charge. At least an inquiry is made to my credit card at 2AM which triggers a test message to my phone which woke me up. The reason given was "oh this is our normal practice". There is a hole cut into the wall next to the elevator. The carpet in the elevator is very worn. In general this is NOT a place ready for prime time, at best it is mediocre.

Attentive staff, great location, expensive parking and centrally controlled thermostat

Parking was very expensive, the thermostat was centrally controlled meaning the room heated up at certain times of the day and if you did not want it hot you either had to turn the thermostat off and open the patio doors which let flies in or just sweat in the sauna that is your room.

The staff were very helpful and even though the rooms did not come standard with microwaves, we were given one upon request and all other requests were handled very promptly

A quaint Japanese themed hotel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

During the time we stayed the koi pond was closed. It would have been nice to have a drink during happy hour outside.

The location was superb. It is right next to the Japan mall and there are a ton of ramen spots. The room has a balcony and overlooked the koi pond. The tv was big and had a YouTube channel so we could see videos. Even the shower was amazing. It had a seating area so you sit whiles you showered. The staff was friendly and inviting.

Other than the internet problems I had a terrific stay. My favorite hotel in F right now.
    • Corner King Room with City View

When I got to the hotel the internet was not working in my room. I called tech support and they tried to fix it in house but were notable to and said they'd send a technician up while I was out to dinner. I got back at 10pm and the internet still didn't function. Called inAM when I got up and they sent up a technician that said there was a missing part and said he would take care of it while we were out. Got back in afternoon still No internet connection. Called down to office they sent someone up and reset it and finally I had internet in my room.

Great beds Love the beautiful Lobby area

Very comfy room with a view
    • Corner King Room with City View

Expensive (but every hotel in SF is).

We had a deluxe king size room with a view.So a lot of space. Really enjoyable room and bed. Convenient location in Japantown.

Overall a great comfortable place with great option in a neighborhood unique in its own way.
    • King Room with City View

Not so much I didn’t like it but the shower is so big that without a curtain I felt it got cold.

Loved the bed, the gym, the bar. Lobby in general is a great place to simply just hang out and read.

staff very friendly, room comfortable
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

We were 4 people, but in room was only 2 towel and 1 shampoo, 1 condincioner and 1 body losion. Breakfast is very scarce and monotonous and expencive.

staff very friendly, room comfortable

Stay away.

HVAC could not be adjusted and heated the room over 80 F. The front desk said it couldn't be fixed because it was happening to every room on one side of the hotel and tried to persuade me to stay in an uninhabitable room. I had to be very insistent to be moved.

Not much to dislike - this hotel makes you feel like you are not in the crowded city anymore

Beautiful hotel with a young, trendy vibe. Clean, spacious rooms with a fun bar and great inner-city location. Overall, Hotel Kabuki was very appealing and comfortable: we will definitely stay here again!

Beautiful hotel in Japan town

Beautiful hotel with all new furniture and decorations. Is in the middle of the Japan town so there are a lot of things to do around the hotel. The hotel has a bar too and, although we have not used it, it looked pretty cool. We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and every night the bar area was full.

Awful. I got no sleep and left the next day in a foul mood.

Extremely noisy room. Could hear loud traffic all night. Could hear the person next door thru the connecting room door coughing, talking on phone. Woken up by the sound of hammering at 7:30 am because hotel has construction going on.

I like the decor

A joie de vivre. True to the name.
    • King Room with City View

I wish they had a microwave in or closer to the room. Should advertise the room's TV as a smart TV with Hdmi hook up and bluetooth radio/clock in the amenities. Label rooms more clearly in order to book preferable rooms such as corner rooms and/or bed size and quantity.

Beautiful! From the moment we walked in to the room itself. Very clean.

Incredibly rude and uncaring staff, broken internet
    • King Room with City View

As we drove to the hotel we decided to call to let them know we would be a late arrival. The woman who answered the phone could not spell my name right for the life of her. After four tries and making her spell my name back to me over the phone only to have her STILL look up the Wrong Name, I insisted on speaking to someone else and she refused. I hung up and had my partner call back and talk to someone else. The internet was fully broken in the initial room they assigned us, and then at 3am the TV started turning itself on by itself. We demanded to be moved to a new room. I called and left a message on their "help / complaint" line and no one ever called me back. In short they do not care. Would definitely NOT stay here again.

The bed was very good and I slept well every night. They had a nice small balcony from which I could safely vape outside the room. The view is decent as you see bits of Japantown, San Francisco from almost any angle.

Quiet room, can’t hear homeless, location is nice - next to...

Still under renovation for some part - piece of wall near elevator is missing so blows in cold air.

Quiet room, can’t hear homeless, location is nice - next to Japan Center. Lobby was cute with the library. Room was huge and amazingly decorated!

I liked the location, very near to Fillmore Street.
    • King Room with City View

The lifts we old, took ages to come and were quite dirty. Despite the modern lobby, the hallways on each floor felt quite dated and bed wasn't as comfy as most of the hotels I've stayed in locally.

I liked the location, very near to Fillmore Street. The lobby is very nice and looks newly done, room was nice and big, with great light and a little balcony. Bathroom a good size, nice waterfall shower.