Reviews of Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago 4 stars

225 North Wabash Street, Chicago Loop, Chicago, IL 60601, USA

#15 of 146 hotels in Chicago

The staff was incredibly warm, welcoming, helpful, and capable. The bed was extremely comfortable and I especially liked the pillows. Additionally, the food at Fisk & Co. (the hotel’s restaurant) was excellent.

• King Room with River View

It would have been nice to have had coffee maker in the room or space in the fridge for our own beverages. Chicago seems to be a Coke sort of place and I am definitely a Pepsi gal. The fridge was more a mini bar for the hotel rather than a convenience for the traveler, but maybe this is how it is in all the hotels of a major city.

The best thing about this hotel is the people. The doormen were very kind and helpful, whether we needed a taxi, help unloading or loading luggage, directions or even stopping traffic so we could do a U turn to get headed in the right direction (apparently, that is legal in Chicago)! The staff at the check in just made us feel like we were people they saw all the time and very helpful with any info about the city. My husband and I are from a much, much smaller city, but we felt treated like friends. The room was clean, bright and airy. My husband enjoyed the "window" seat and the view of the river. He also took advantage of the coffee in the lobby in the mornings.

Our room had a view of a brick wall! A bit pricey with no breakfast included and no complimentary water in the room.

Friendly staff, clean and nice decor. The hotel is in a good location.

• King Room with River View

Waited at reception desk while both front desk people took phone calls for longer than they should have, especially without apologizing or even recognizing our existence. Nothing hotel can do about e thermal noise st that intersection (fire engines, traffic noise) which is something you just have to accept as part of being downtown.

Interesting decor. Great location. Quiet inside room. Clean.

• King Room with River View

The only downside this time is I didn't get to enjoy their restaurant as it wasn't quite finished with the beautiful remodel.

This is a WONDERFUL location as you have river views and your steps away from the theatres and the Riverwalk. The staff is super friendly and always willing to help! The window benches are phenomenal as you can lay in the windows and enjoy the views. I LOVE this hotel!

There was not one thing we did not like!

The staff was so welcoming and helpful from check in till we left. It’s location was perfect and the room was amazing!

Didn't know restaurant was still under construction and not open, No coffee maker in room, when mentioned at desk at checkout, they said they have by request. Would have liked to have known that at check-in.

Hotels happy hour was nice surprise, location was great for our trip ,continental breakfast was modest but food was fresh

The restaurant in the hotel was under construction so the wine reception area was a little cramped. Would like to stay again when the restaurant is done.

Loved the yoga mat in the room! The location was great. Within walking distance to shopping, restaurants and the park.

• King Room with River View

WiFi was an additional charge.

The staff went over and beyond the call of duty. I felt like I was staying at a 5 star hotel. The bay window in our room looking over the river was FANTASTIC! Super unique and this really put this hotel over the top!

No complaints!

The entire staff was consistently friendly and helpful. The location was perfect - close to the theater, the art institute, Michigan Avenue, merchandise mart, etc.

The shower tab (one pressure and no shower phone). The restaurant is being renovated; and there are no options for delivery offered by the hotel. Plenty of restaurants nearby though.

Extra comfortable mattress

Used debit card for initial reservation. Changed online to credit card Sun 1/21 which was 5 days before stay. Debit got charged, neither Kimptom nor Booking.com took responsibility for mistake. Was not happy about that.

Room clean, bed super comfortable, staff friendly and courteous.

No view to the south or east ie can't see Lake Michigan. (I don't know if other room might see the Chicago River and Trump Tower?). Cannot adjust heat so I thought it was too hot overnight. The wifi can be free if you join their hotel club or get code from front desk. (I HATE paying for wifi, don't you?) I got downstairs at 10 am and all the free fruit and pastries were gone. Boo-hoo! (They prob told me 7-9 am but I heard wrong.) Parking is $65 for 24 hours, valet, but that's normal in downtown Chicago.

I was given a corner room #1002 which meant it was larger than most; it was also high enough up that I could barely hear the garbage trucks on early Saturday morning as my room faced the alley. Room was excellent, also bathroom floor moldings could do with a paint job (steam is buckling the paint from the wood). Beds and pillows very comfy. Staff at front desk and doorman were super friendly. Excellent location one block from Riverwalk and Michigan Avenue.

There were few amenities included. Having to go to the lobby to get coffee in the morning was inconvenient to a relaxed morning, and, with very little seating in the lobby, having to stand while enjoying the wine offered in the evening. Our room on the 9th floor had a nice window view of a massive brick wall, and nothing else.

The room was spacious and the facility was clean. The bed was comfortable and the staff was friendly. The location was ideal. Wine in the lobby before dinner was a nice touch. Check-in and check-out was very simple.

I didn’t know the restaurant was under renovation and closed when I made the booking, and recommended it to my guests— we had over 5 rooms in the hotel.

Complimentary drinks. Helpful staff.

Parking rate is ridiculous so we took the train instead of driving

Ron and all the front staff were excellent. Happy hour was awesome. Great workout facilities.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and River View

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco primarily because it was listed as a pet friendly hotel and we were travelling to visit family with our dog. The hotel, staff, accommodations, and accoutrements were all absolutely excellent. Friendly, reasonably priced, beautiful space, great location. I wished we stayed more than one night! We will definitely be booking again.

The view of the river way exceeded my expectations for the price. Also both facility and Booking.com were helpful in cancelling a room when elderly traveler couldn’t come do to illness.

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access

Nothing. Everything I needed, or could have needed was available.

Very nicely designed hotel. From the Lobby to the Sleeping Room, everything was really beautiful. Would stay again.

The location is a little difficult to find with the way the streets are laid out in this area and the staff was very helpful in giving us the easiest route to get there.

We loved this hotel. Our room was spacious and comfortable, with a wonderful view of the river. The window seat was a great bonus. The staff was polite and helpful, especially Stephanie at the desk. We would definitely stay here again!

It would have been preferable to have a room at the front of the hotel but we didn't ask to be moved and it didn't detract from our stay.

The room was very spacious and comfortable and the bed was also very comfortable. You were able to relax in the room as there was also a sofa. The wine reception in the early evening was also a bonus. The location is also excellent as everywhere was within easy walking distance.

I had to pick up my girlfriend from the airport at 12:30 a.m. When I called the valet to bring my truck, the phone rang over 10 times, when the valet finally answered he said they were closed, then he asked me to repeat my voucher number 3 times, and argued about the number. I asked him to bring the truck in 10 minutes, he agreed, but it took almost 30. And - the parking charge was $58/day. Parking anywhere in downtown Chicago is high, but that's a bit much!

Accommodations were beautiful and so very comfy! All of the staff were great, except for the late-night valet. The location is amazing for "touristing" and I highly recommend this hotel!

Trump Towrr was staring us in the face from our window.

A great location near downtown shopping and dining. Walking distance from Millennium Park. Great views of The Chicago River.

Price of the parking

Second time in a Kimpton and they never disappoint. Only stayed one night, passing through town. The room was chic, staff was very pleasant and personable. It is right at the River (partial view from room), Riverwalk for boat tours or water taxis, House of Blues, well known steakhouses and many restaurants. The restaurant in the hotel is fantastic itself! You do not need a car, which is good because their parking is $58 a night. It's actually around the corner, not connected to the building or on site, but they do have valet if you feel like waiting. Public transportation is within walking, as is Millenium Park, with an outside amphitheater with free music, Grand Park. Great accommodations in one of the best parts of the City!

Like all Chicago hotels in the Loop or Gold Coast, parking is outrageous. I'm was well aware of that, so not surprising, but $58 valet is still a punch in the gut. Again, that's the area more so than the hotel, just a fact of parking in the Loop (the Virgin Hotel next door is $63 a night). Also try to get the back of the hotel if you don't care about the view. Otherwise you will hear the L trains turning below at Lake and Wabash if you are on a low floor early in the morning.

Hotel Monacos like all Kimpton hotels are very consistent. Clean, spacious room, nice comfortable beds, helpful staff, and nice amenities. Chicago's is no exception. Location is exceptional as well. Overall great experience.

• King Room with River View

Expected the riverview to be better, all you could see looking out the window was big "TRUMP" letters from his tower across the way

No breakfast, no pool. The ouside of the hotel doesn't even say kimpton which is stupid because we were driving in circles looking for kimpton.

The room was nice, clean, & modern. Temperature was perfect.

The only thing that would have been better was if breakfast were included. But that said, there's free coffee and tea in the morning, infused water throughout the day, and a wine happy hour from 5-6 daily. So that's pretty awesome!

The staff was so friendly and helpful. The room was clean and quiet (except for my noisy neighbors in the hallway, but that's not the hotel's fault!). The guys out front were especially helpful with catching taxis/finding a lyft. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access

The room across from mine was undergoing renovations, so from early morning through early evening I could hear workers drilling and hammering, their carts were stored outside the entrance to my room which I had to squeeze past to enter, and the smell of whatever they were using to carpet the room was overpowering. There was also very little drawer storage in the room, which made unpacking my luggage a challenge.

Hotel staff was wonderful, room was comfortable, location was excellent, happy hour was a nice bonus.

The hotel was way past a renovation. Toilet broke, called twice before it was fixed, but the maintenance guy was good. Front desk staff had little personality. Valet staff was good. Broken cabinet handles, the furnishings, bed headboard were a horrible design. Apparently there is a big renovation planned next year, but the place was very expensive and it was not at all worth what I was forced to pay for it. They took advantage because the town was busy with conventions and very booked up. And the restaurant connected with it was more of a coffee shop, and sucked.

it was clean

Lobby first impression a little blah and that first impression gets me excited to see the rest of the hotel!

Was roomy. Comfy beds. Great location. Best bell hops ever!

No breakfast included, the price for one night was $450

Spacous room, beautiful boutique atmosphere, close to everything you want to see in Chicago on easy walking distance

Noise! I was in a lower level room facing the back alley. Only have a small window (a foot wide), there's no daylight into the room. I tried napping first afternoon shortly after arrival but they were unloading towels in the alley, which sounded like garbage disposal right outside my window. Called front desk to switch rooms and got a flat "no, we're full". I asked about switching for following nights but of course the guy never followed up. Throughout the night, heard people and cars in the alley, by 5ish-6, heard the squeaks from the trains a block away. Room quite outdated, no free wifi.

Convenient location. Walkable between the Loop and north side. Staff were quite helpful except for one as noted. Complementary coffee in the morning and wine in the afternoon.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

I found out at check in that we could have gotten a better rate had we booked directly with the hotel. Booking.com would match that price since we booked in advance and that was SUPER disappointing. Not the hotel's fault.

Location was perfect....everything we wanted was walking distance and the train to the airport was close too. Desk staff was super helpful.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Went through Booking.com and was told no payment was required until check in. BIG LIE as the hotel charged my card in full 10 days before check in. Booking.com needs to get there stuff together!

A great place!

• King Room with River View

Location, quality & cleanliness of room , turn down service was a nice plus..stayed on 14th floor & windows were thick which kept city noise out.

• King Room with River View

Business center Free wi fi but had to pay to use the business center to print my boarding pass ( not much money involved but complicated and frustating )

Nice view on the river

Overnight, in and out parking was $58. I know it is the city and do expect to pay this for parking. I just wish it were less.

Extremely helpful staff. Bedding very comfortable ensuring a good night's sleep. Walk-able or a short taxi ride to many destinations. Have stayed here previously. Will stay again.

The hotel is around the corner from the start of the Magnificent Mile and a block from the riverfront and easy walking distance to Millennium Park, the Art Institute, theatre district and very close to public transportation. Our room was spacious, well appointed and clean. Our two queen beds were comfortable, not too soft and not too firm. Our 12 year old daughter loved reclining on the lux chaise lounge while watching TV. Convenient Business Center where we were able to print out our boarding passes at no cost. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful; especially the front doormen. We would book this hotel again.

The staff was extremely helpful and very nice! The hotel had a complementary wine hour every night making the stay even more enjoyable. When asked for places to find breakfast, the staff offered great advice!

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Room was clean and quiet! I've stayed at other properties nearby and this one you could actually sleep in! No noise through the walls and a very comfortable bed.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Not having the morning woman flip out on us as we left. All of our clocks were wrong in the room, so it seemed we got a late wake up call. When I mentioned it, the morning staff lady would not stop proving she had called on time, including yelling at us across the lobby as we left. That was unprofessional. You do not keep proving you are 'right'. You just make sure the clocks are changed for the next guest. Our room also had an ADA shower that flooded the bathroom. We built towel dams, but the hotel really needs a better solution.

I loved having a gold fish in our room on request. It made our trip to have a little friend. The staff was really great.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access

No coffee/tea in room and lobby takes cofee away at 10 am! Ridiculous to not have way of making warm cup of tea in cold chicago in hotel of this level

Loc great. No noise, nice beds

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• King Room with River View

They wine hour should be extended because we didn't get the chance to have a glass!

Liked the view and the little sitting area by the window. Everything was decorated beautifully and it was romantic and very clean.

I thought all rooms had those window lounges but this one did not. Will request one next time I book!

Nice room, quiet location, tried SWK next door & it was great!

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Nothing really

I usually stay in a big name hotel. Usually things are okay but in this boutique hotel, the staff was so friendly here and the hotel was clean and comfortable. The rooms were quiet too. It's not super fancy but it was adequate. Especially for the price!

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

We liked everything.

The wifi was free if you joined the Kimpton rewards scheme which was fine. The staff were excellent. They really made my daughter and myself feel special. Jonathan the bellman/doorman was particularly helpful as was David on reception. Who couldn't do enough to help us from recommending restaurants to sorting out train times. He was very patient and obliging with us. This is a lovely comfortable hotel in a fantastic location.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Had small problem with noise from the bar downstairs. Emailed the hotel after I left and got a lovely response.

Funky little hotel with friendly staff

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access

You have to pay for everything that you would normally get for free at another hotel. Worst investment ever. Better off going to the Hampton across the street, they're cheaper, same location, free wifi, & you get breakfast in bed. I would never come back.

The location was the only good part..

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

• King Room with River View

I would have liked a coffee pot in the room-,there was no room service and couldn't order a carafe. I had to get dressed to fetch coffees in paper cups when I would have preferred ceramic cups that I could pour into at my leisure.

Very comfortable room. we chose one with a window seat that was a great perk.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and River View

Great location for great Monaco hotel. Complementary wine and canapés every evening. Excellent restaurant recommendations from concierge. Friendly staff and fabulous window seats in room to take in view.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

They will try to make you sign up for their hotel's membership program in order to get free WiFi. Room furnishings begin to show signs of wear and tear and are not being replaced, for example the desk chair had its (foam) arm rests completely worn off. The hotel is very close to the Chicago "el" (elevated trains) and the window sound insulation doesn't always work 100%. If you are a light sleeper this may not be for you.

Good price for the location.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and River View

I honestly can't think of a thing that I did not like!

Staff made us feel like rock stars! Room had dreamy river view! Especially liked the window seats in the room. Daily wine happy hour was terrific. Will definitely stay here again. Location close to everything!

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

• King Room with River View

There is a goldfish in the suite who is in a dirty, unoxygenated bowl. This is a living creature that should have an aerator/filter not just a bowl of dirty water.

The staff is always so helpful and communicative. I had to come back when my flight was cancelled and they gave me an incredible deal and also upgraded me to a kick ass suite!

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Evening wine reception hours could be longer. Our group was never quite done with outside activities to participate. WiFi needs to be complimentary!!

The windows seats are awesome! Doggie welcome exceeded expectations. Decor is funky and classy at the same time. Staff friendly, attentive & quick to assist with needs.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• King Room with River View

mattress was a bit too soft..pillows were lumpy. Restaurant was not so great, friendly folks for the most part, but limited menu and not up to the standards of the hotel.

the staff was OUTSTANDING! Friendly, efficient and most of all made us feel that we were very special guests. We commend all with the highest of ratings.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

There was not a coffee maker in the room and we noticed a little note by the lobby coffee that said you could request one in your room. Wish the staff would have asked us upon check-in or the sign would have been at check-in versus the coffee station since we barely made it up in time to get the last of the coffee.

The little notes that the housecleaner left for us with "goodies" was really cool! Loved the wine hour and the doorman!

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

We loved everything, but it would be nice if they had an exhaust fan in the bathrooms.

Everything! From the moment we arrived the staff was wonderful. Got in early and inquired about storing our bags until check in. Instead, they put us right in a wonderful room!View was perfect for the cute window seats! The hotel was great at recommending things to do, places to eat and how to get around. Room was wonderful!Coffee bar was great! Only had a day to spend there. My daughter is studying abroad in Austria and we were there to get her on a connecting flight. Will definitely be back to explore more of Chicago and stay at this hotel!

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Nothing. Liked everything.

Great staff. Great location near the train. Complimentary coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. Complimentary bicycles. About a block from the Riverwalk.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access

The view from our room wasn't at all a view but that's just because I didn't front the extra cash for it.

Great central location to explore downtown Chicago and its neighboring suburbs. The L train is around the corner and you can pretty much walk anywhere. The complimentary evening wine hour is a nice touch to relax while you refresh in your room to hit the town for the night!

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Believe that free wi-if only available if you are a Karma rewards members

Free wine hour from 5-6pm Bed & pillows so comfy Zany bathrobe Super-friendly and helpful staff Resident dog at Reception

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• King Room with River View

Advertised as riverfront view which was very disappointing. Waking up with the bold letters " TRUMP " upset my stomach

Staff was pleasant and accommodating. Downtown location very accessible to sights, river, and subways.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

We were on the 14th floor and near an elevator but the room was very quiet. No noise from inside or outside. Great hotel and the wine at 5 p.m. was a pleasant addition to an already wonderful hotel.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

We were bummed we didn't have a room with a better view. When we looked out the window, we saw the hotel next door and the people who didn't close their curtains. Also when we first walked in, it felt very stuffy in our room. I don't think the air was working very well.

It was centrally located to Michigan Ave., Millenium park, and to transportation. The staff was super helpful when we had questions. The water they serve in the lobby all day was also a nice touch! I found the bed to be very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

lamp on left when facing bed at times flickered and made noise --- was afraid it may be shorted out. No shampoo in bathroom Light around mirror in bathroom did not work

location, location, location bed very comfortable

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Had to request coffee maker for my room, wasn't refilled.

Everything,especially the window seats, the only place I'll stay in Chicago! Excellent staff who remembered me from my last visit in April!

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access

Our room was right outside the elevator and was very noisy at all hours. Our dogs raised some Cain. Normally very quiet.

The window bench overlooked Wabash was a wonderful view. The staff was excellent in every aspect. Wine in the evening hosted by different managers nightly. Walking distance to many venues. 20 minute bus ride to the best museums.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Front desk staff seemed stressed, busy. Not very welcoming. You could hear people in the hallways all night long.

Doorman is a blessing. Amazingly helpful

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• King Room with River View

When we got our bill before we checked out they had charged us for parking when we didn't have a car. Check your bill before you check out!

The window seat to look out over the river. Really great location. Room on the 12th floor was nice and quiet.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

It was a little more expensive than we usually would've paid. But it was great and probably due to time of year.

The front desk staff were great. The valet manager was particularly awesome.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Deluxe King Room - Disability Access

I didn't dislike anything.

Enjoyed the overall feeling of the hotel. It's very clean and the staff truly care about the guests. Appreciated the quiet hallways which makes for a wonderful night's sleep.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

Bed was super comfy, location was perfect and staff was extremely attentive. Free wine happy hour was great too! Wish they had a spa, but oh well- everything else was perfect.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and River View

No room in fridge for our own stuff. Not enough cups, towels, soap or wash cloths.

Window seat! Kids slept there and housekeeping even put sheets and pillows on it. Pet fish! Kids loved it. Style of hotel, very friendly staff and great location!!

Come back again