Reviews of Morningside Inn 1 stars

5.9

5.5

Big disappointment!
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

Staff was really unfriendly, at the check in there was literally no greeting, not a single sentence 'welcome in morningside!' The lady said 'Passport and Credit card!' This is really rude!!! The room was dirty when we got there I had to clean the furniture from inside to be able to put our clothes inside. This is unacceptable. In addition, the floor was not vaccuumed. The windows could not be opened, which is really unsafe. The bathroom was public, which I had no information about. It was disgusting, was not cleaned regularly, we always found hair from previous days. There was a leak in the toilet, which was not fixed for days and we had to stand in a puddle when we had to use it. The kitchen was dirty, too. Microwave was never cleaned, I was afraid of putting anything in it to avoid some stomach virus. What's more, there was a constant disgusting smell on our entire floor, which never got better. It smelt like something was rotten. This place was a big disappointment.

Location was good.

Reasonable location and good low-budget accommodation, but disappointing amenities and service.
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

The shared bathroom on our floor was tiny and dirty - one shower and toilet shared between the whole floor, not kept clean regularly, no soap provided in the dispenser in the bathroom (soap provided in bedroom which had to be brought into the bathroom each time). There was a water leak underneath the sink which poured water onto the floor every time it was used, so there was always a puddle of water on the floor. Reception staff seemed more interested in talking to their friends on the phone than greeting guests at check-in and check-out, lack of information provided. Wifi very slow and patchy.

Good location between the Hudson river and Central Park - great for walking. Access to Subway within a few streets, so it was easy to get around to other parts of the city. Beds comfy. Air conditioned room was great for our stay during a heatwave. Refrigerator in room was a bonus, with basic shared cooking facilities available.

Staff was exceptional.
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

WiFi code not readily available. TV very nice, but not clear how it worked -- 2 changers and my unguided channel changing lead to a snowy screen. It was not important to me, though.

Staff was exceptional. Facilities were simple, but as described -- no surprises. Perhaps I'm easy to please. I got what I expected plus nice people helping me.

Old high-rise with very simple rooms and shared bathrooms, but great location
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

This is a rickety old high-rise building that feels as old as it is. The room was tiny. Being there in late May, it was pretty hot when we arrived and there was no air conditioning in the room. But there were portable A/C units sitting in the hallway, so we helped ourselves to one of them and hooked it up in our window. This helped a lot. The bathrooms are out in the hallway and shared with other guests. The carpets were pretty ugly. The room was as plain as could be, but it did serve its purpose. If I were going back to NYC, I would stay across the river in New Jersey instead, for a much better value (but less convenient transportation).

I liked that Morningside Inn was in a safe, walkable part of Manhattan on the upper west side. Easy walk to a great market around the corner, to 103rd & Broadway subway line, and Central Park & museums. While it cost more than I usually spend on a hotel night in other cities, it was one of the more affordable choices in NYC.

Localizacao.
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Quando escolhi o morning side inn,o preco era 680 usa.quando cheguei no lobby do hotel me cobraram 913.22.nao estava esperando esta taxa de 150.92 usa,

Localizacao.107 st..

Pretty good
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The old staff member we checked in at 2.20am and were 20 mins late from our flight he said our credit card declined but the next day we got money out so yea. Otherwise good

Easy close location

Good location for restaurants & walking
    • Deluxe Quadruple Room

No a/c in room first night & Lisa at front desk very rude & did not even tell anyone about our concerns. Nina nice but did not inform us that our room did not have a/c at all. Room was cool when we checked in, but we dropped off our stuff & left when we returned & asked about our a/c we were criticized by Lisa because we did not inquire when we checked in. Thank you to Ricardo who when we notified him next day ensured it would be rectified & good to his word we had a/c when we returned. Mold on walls in bathroom & we were in room 106. Others ventured upstairs & were totally disgusted with Mold on walls & how unkept inn was.

Location, price & ok beds

Nice area, close to subway, many places to eat nearby.
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

It was late May and A/C unit had been installed in room yet. I was very uncomfortable on one very hot night.

Nice area, close to subway, many places to eat nearby.

Bad service...never ever again
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was very dirty old blood stains everywhere The disrespect I was given

This was the worst experience there was blood stains every where the manger was rude and try to fight me and my partner

VERY budget hotel, fine if not fussy
    • Deluxe Quadruple Room

The upkeep of the room was AWFUL! Screws sticking out of pieces of wood, floor was disgusting. Our room was right next to reception so we could hear the staff talking and on occasions swearing which was not great with two children in the room! When smokers sat outside on the steps this was right outside our window so could also hear them talking until all hours. Was a cheap hotel but was very poor standard. The bathroom was horrid, was clean but rusty, had holes in the floor etc and the shower was terrible. Would not recommend

Size of the room was great and there was a fridge which we hadn’t expected.

OK for short stays
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Beds were really hard and uncomfortable. The room had completely wrecked curtains, broken lamp and broken TV wall mount. WiFi was barely working, kept disconnecting like crazy. No hand soap in the shared bathroom.

Refrigerator in the room. Very friendly staff. Big room.

Dirty, disgusting, needs full renovation. Not suggested!!!
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The hotel is very dirty. The whole hotel needs renovation. It is disgusting. The bed is uncomfortable. Never ever want to have accommodation like this. I do not suggest you to come here. Nightmare. Outside the hotel on the streets we saw some rats, too.

Great location. New York on a budget. More bathrooms needed and urgently needs cleaning.
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

Scruffier than the pictures portray. Not the best mattresses, which seemed to tilt, but I think that this was caused by the floor. No hairdryer or iron as advertised. No kettle or cups. No air con, just a ceiling fan. The worst bit was the shared bathroom, for 11 rooms!- dirty beyond belief. Floors were that grimy that I took a towel to stand on to stop my feet getting dirty. Plumbing was a joke. Shared kitchen area with cooker and microwave, I realised that people actually lived here.

Location was great, short walk to main bus and subway links. Good range of shops nearby and loads of places to eat. Some staff were friendly, others borderline rude. White towels provided daily.

A convient affordable place ot stay. Especially if you are visiting Columbia University

Having chair in the room would be nice. The mattress should be replaced.

It was a quiet room with a closet. Teh bathroom was comfortable.Fro New York City it was very affordable.

It didn’t live up to expectations.
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The shared bathroom next to me didn’t get repaired the whole week I was there. The working bathroom didn’t have a working shower. The ceiling light/fan combo wouldn’t allow the light to turn off without turning off the fan as well. Towels but no washcloths.

The location was great!
    • Deluxe Quadruple Room

I didnt like the lack of responsibility. I booked 2 rooms with a private bathroom each and when we arrived I was informed that I had only one room. The other room that it could be offered was triple room with a shared bathroom. I declined the offer cause it was not what I had booked. We were a party of 4 adults and 2 children and they gave me a room with 2 double beds and according to him this was a 6 guests room ?????Go figure. Some of us has to look for another accommodations. The reservation says a parking is available in a near location for an additional fee; the person in the front desk 5/15/17 around 6 Pm told me that it was street parking and to google it because he didn’t know of any place around. Very helpful indeed. He also remarked that I was staying in a budget hotel and if I even ask for an extra pillow he didn’t have one. Another guest approached us after I desperately accept the only room that was offered to us, because they were told they couldn’t find their reservation. But this is hear say situation so I don’t know how that was resolved. Squeaky beds , mattresses don’t help to improve this review, 3 towels in the room and 3 very thin layer bar soaps for the 6 intended guests. No AC as the confirmation says either.

The location was great!

Pro: Area, and cleanliness. Cons: Thin walls, you can hear every noise, the shower issue.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The walls are pretty thin, and you can hear every noise. Also the shower head from the shared bathroom nearby our room didn't worked.When we reported the problem, the manager said he would take care of this issue, but nothing happened, and nobody informed us afterwards that it will be fixed or not.Anyway we still managed to use the other shared bathroom on our floor ( there were 2 shared bathrooms on 4th floor, the one with the shower head issue was near our room ).

The area was really quiet, compared with other places from New York, and the Manhattan park was really close to us. It was a really clean place, the maids were coming everyday to clean and take our used towels and bring new ones.They even folded and arranged my clothes!

Centrally located.

The communication between staff was quite poor. We supposed to get one type of room but ended up having another type of room for half of our stay. You need to ask them a lot to change the room, which is truly not the responsibility of the guests.

Centrally located. Surrounded by restaurants, bars and groceries. Waking distance to several metro lines. For first-time traveler, the area made us feel really safe even though late at night. Rooms are ok with what you paid.

It was not what was shown on the website.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It was not what was shown on the website. Once we had spoken to the first person about our service he asked us to see another room which was being repaired and nowhere near sleepable. We were moved to another room in the morning which is much more along the lines of what we were expecting. The blinds didnt work and were broken but the experience from then on wasnt terrible.

Shortcomings, but I'd stay again because of location, bed, and elevator.

Maintenance poor 1. Television not working; replaced next day 2. No hot water; tepid at best 3. Broken towel bar bracket on floor; not usable 4. No air-conditioning 5. Skimpy soap bars 6. Light bulbs missing from side lamps; replaced 7. Broken pull chain controls on ceiling fan/light

Convenient location for our requirements Elevator Comfortable bed Reasonable cost for the area Would stay there again because of the above

Why its worth paying more.

Had no A/C for the room. Had no sitting/meeting room to go and just sit n talk with others. The shades on the Windows were in very bad shape and 1 window had no screen.Room fan barely worked,lights not that good either. I know I won't be going back there again.

Poor people skills.

I was not able to extend my stay, even though, there were rooms available, because according to the front desk receptionist, “ manager don’t want to extend your stay, he can get more money if it is booked on line” only rooms available the receptionist could offer was with shared bathroom (where bathrooms are in the hall). Even though I offered to pay whatever price they charged, on line reservations. Poor customer service.

We were able to book a room same day.

A place to sleep, don’t leave vaubles out, go to 6th floor to shower
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

Restrooms were filthy, bed was rock hard, shower was awful only a trickle, staff seems to hate their job, only 1 pillow per person, stairways, floors etc were dirty. We were supposed to have a triple room but they put us in a double room and we don’t usually complain so didn’t say anything because at least all of us had a spot on a bed. Take this response seriously because I’ve never rated a place this bad and if I’m complaining you know you t must have been pretty bad. When we complained about the shower they did clean it but it didn’t make a big difference. They told us that if you go up to 5th and 6th floors those showers are better, so we did and they were right. To me if I had space which they did I’d want to put my customers on floors that had quality instead of awful quality on the lower floors.

Location, that we could leave our bags in a room- but the room wasn’t very secure. We didn’t feel our stuff was safe.

One receptionist (from three which we met) were wery helpful...

Bed linen was dirty. The shower was broken - the hot water did not flow.

One receptionist (from three which we met) were wery helpful, other two did not care.

Uncomfortable, sleepless stay.
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The door didn't have the extra chain lock. The wall between rooms was thin. The carpet inside my room was dirty. I didn't feel I could even lay down on the bed as I wasn't sure if the sheet was clean or not. Overall I didn't feel "save" as a solo traveler staying here, particularly as the door didn't have that extra bolt. The staff who worked the reception desk the next morning was not friendly, didn't even bother to say a brief courtesy such as 'thank you' or 'thank you for your stay' overall an uncomfortable, sleepless stay at this hotel.

I don't think I'd like to stay here again, my overall experience staying here was unpleasant. But I do have to give credit to one staff member who worked the evening shift the day I checked in. He was friendly.

Darkside of Morningside

Not deluxe as advertised. City view was building across alley. Rooms need renovation, TV didn't work, hallway doors slammed through the night.

Close to the subway. Great 2nd floor housekeeper. Quiet.

Dirty place with rude workers.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Everything. Everything is dirty, cleaning is done with a perfume, the junk guy from the reception is always smoking weed on the main door at night (this is true), the lady that replaces him during the day shift is rude and will tell you that the wifi have to work in your floor when she knows that it is not like that. Wifi works only in the reception and on the 2 and 3 floor. I was prepared for a bad experience but it was worst than that.

I don’t have nothing good to say about this place even knowing that this is a cheap hotel.

Is the wrost hotel I ever stay in dirty and service were very poor .
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

The bed was pretty uncomfortable and pillow was very flat. And room get cold, I had to share a bath room which was very discussing had no toilet paper try to use d phone in the room to call front desk for toilets paper the phone in the room have no service what so ever , so I use by cellular phone it took a while before the front desk pick up , when I tell the at the front there is no toilet paper , you would no believe what he said to Me , he cannot leave the office if I need toilet paper I should come to the office and get it and put it the the public bath room I was so ashamed and shock to hear that response I am a guest of your hotel , so I when back to my room and grab a piece of napkin I got from ordering pizza .thank for the napkin from the pizza shop, that what I able to use to clean myself after using the toilets in the hotel I paid for with out no toilet paper the guys at the front desk refuse to leave d office and put pspper in the bath room also there is a kitchen that open for all the guest to use no dishes or pats or pan no spoon notthing in d kitchen but two big bucket of open paint and paint brush u can even smell the paint in the kitchen . I was pretty shock I could no believe that place is rentable is a hotel or guest house .the place a fully inspection by the department of health very dirty also . You can dirty a lot of black spot on the side walk corner of every floor

Where was two empty paint bucket with paint and brush in the kitchen living space . There was no toilet paper , so I try to use the phone in the room to call the front desk the phone not working there no service , I end up have to use my cellular phone to call the front desk and report there is toilet paper in in the rest room the guy at the front said to me if I need toilet paper to come and get it at the front desk , because he not moving which was very rude. I have to use napkin paper that come with d pizza I order for dinner to clean myself . The service were very poor

Horrible
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Hotel is to high in price for the type of environment u are staying covers was dirty room dmelled of mold blinds had duck tape holding them together this place is horrible

NOT A THING

Expected a twin size bed but it was full size instead, which...
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I didn't know about WiFi until my 2nd night there. You get a sheet of the passwords from front desk, but they don't leave it in the room. I suggest they should leave a copy in each room for guests. Thin walls. Heard Rm #210 entire conversation before they became intimate with each other. Lol, thank goodness for the TV volume.

Expected a twin size bed but it was full size instead, which was more accommodating. The room cleaned & bed made daily, fresh clean towels. DirectTV & free WiFi service. Clean shared bathroom.

• Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was clean which the bed was neat and the show was good in the bathroom . The stuffs were very nice and very helpful.There are many restaurants nearby hotel, especially Chinese food and western styles. Line 1 subway is located 3 blocks away very convenient to somewhere else where you want to go.It is close to Columbia University . Was really enjoyable this time!

The person that do the laundry was the must profesional...
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Front desk staff was unprofessional and talk nasty

The person that do the laundry was the must profesional staff. Always asking if something was need the best staff at the hotel

I did not seek luxury and space.
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Sink faucet in Room 502 needs to be adjusted. Partially sprays into room.

I did not seek luxury and space. This was clean, convenient and reasonably priced. Just what I wanted.

WORST EXPERIENCE. Avoid at all costs

My stay at Morningside Inn was the worst stay I've ever experienced and it ruined my whole New York experience. I booked a private room with a private bathroom and when I arrived they said they accidentally booked out all their private bathroom rooms. We actually went the first night without showering because the shared bathroom was so dirty and disgusting. The carpet in the room was stained and there was mold on the bed sheets. The radiator got so hot that my friend tripped over and scolded his arm on it. We finally got moved into a room which contained a private bathroom. We then came to find that this room had no hot water, the shower leaver was broken and the carpet was yet again stained. The wifi also did not work. Some of the staff were extremely rude, unprofessional and unhelpful. I would strongly recommend avoiding this hotel.

WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE! I did not like 1 thing about my stay.

Very uncomfortable couple of night sleep
    • Deluxe Quadruple Room

Room 101. The main bed was so uncomfitable as the mattress slopes. The wind blows through the windows even when closed. The main bed is partly under one window so it’s so cold even with the heating on. The second bed is directly in front of the radiator plus there’s also a pipe that once the heating is on gets red hot and is directly next to the pillow, so dangerous especially with children

Helpful staff

The entire experience was deplorable. Compared to other places in the area this is poor! Gross.
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

First room I checked into had a broken lock. Switched rooms, and I asked to please be put in quiet room response “all rooms are quiet” and put me between the two bathrooms with hard banging doors literally all night. Room floor was stained and under the bed never cleaned. Mattress so worn every spring was visible!! Also heat set so that you had to open a window on a 4F degree night to get cooler. Finally one of the two shared baths on my floor (5) was disgusting, tiles to walls. The other bath better but so dirty needed to be cleaned multpile times a day which wasn’t happening.

Nothing. It was in the top 2 worst stays ever in the USA.

Never again.

The room was small, the bed was uncomfortable & had a plastic sheet beneath the fitted sheet which made lots of noise. The lock on the door was old fashioned & would only need a kick to open. The walls we’re very thin , the showers we’ve very noisy & no shower Gel provided. Other guests we’re also in & out all through the night being rowdy Terrible!!!!!!

I stayed alone easy to commute to city from Cathedral park subway. Mcdonalds nd KFC near
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

No way to make ur coffe or tea microoven available one was old one not functioning properly

Room r clean but bathroom needs repair.good hot wate.fridge in the room

+localisation
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

-room was not ready -no dishes in the kitchen!! -no place to boil water??!! -old and damaged equipment -dirt and mold in bathroom

+localisation nope, that's all

Great spot to sleep near public transit, coffee shops, food, & drink.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The rooms were clean and simple but the walls very thin. The bathrooms would quickly run out of hot water in the morning. Also The bathrooms with the shower stalls had the toilets too close to the wall so it was challenging to sit properly.

The staff was very friendly and answered all questions. Super helpful. Also allowed us to store our bags before and after check out which was great! Very walkable area close to buses and metro. This place isn't fancy but a good option if looking for your own room. An extra bonus was the sink in the room! That was a pleasant and greatly appreciated surprise!

The worst stay I've ever had
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

All my luggage got stolen out of the 'locked' luggage room, and when I told them about it they've just said thats why it was there the whole night and that they've told when something gets lost overnight they can't do anything THE JOKE ABOUT THAT? they've never said anything about having it in that room overnight It was also dirty and the bathrooms where extremly horrible- the worst stay I've ever had

Staff were nice on arrival.

We supposedly stayed in the Superior room which was actually a room barely big enough to fit the bed and the floor is on an incline. The AC that was in the room was taken out of the room the following day. We had to let the water run for a good 10mins before it warmed up for a shower. The room wasn’t too clean either as there was hair still in the shower. Wifi was slow and night staff weren’t helpful when we asked about the water and aircon. We were very close to leaving but we were only there for 3.5 days and really only used the place to sleep and have a shower

Staff were nice on arrival. The area is quiet enough.

Please stay somewhere else. Please. You don't deserve how gross it is
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

There is one SMALL shared bathroom for the whole floor. It's a mess, and when you need to use it it's unavailable. Rooms were quiet but could hear the lady making top ramen at 3am. Please don't stay here, it's like the freaking apocalypse. I liked nothing

Very basic for one person in NYC

Run down. Tiny room, barely enough space to walk around the bed. No desk or chair. WiFi did not work at all. Not all rooms have a bath. Really thin walls, can hear every word from the next room. Broken door would not completely close or lock from the outside automatically when closed.

Good location across the corner from Broadway. Reasonably clean. No signs of insects. The room was right across the reception but fortunately separated by a narrow hallway and another door. A working flat screen TV high on the wall. Firm bed.

Dingy and dirty. Don't stay here.
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

This motel is nothing like the pictures, very very dirty bathrooms. Our family was split up to fit into the tiny rooms, we didn't receive two side by side rooms but different floors. We checked out early but realised we had forgotten something but when we got back, before the official check out time, our belongings were gone. The staff were not helpful about the incident.

When we checked out.

awfull, waste of money.

I stayed in a delux room, which has a private bathroom. The location of these rooms is next to the reception and the elevator, very noisy. Had to get up at 3.00 am to ask the night receptionist to turn the music down. For the same money you can stay in an excellent room in Brooklyn or Queens, where staff has more sense not to play music in the middle of the night.

Do not stay here. Either pay more for a better hotel, or pay less for a hotel outside Manhattan.

Awful
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Hotel is awful! I booked breakfast to be included and they don't even do breakfast, the entire building is disgusting!! There was white wet mould all over the floors, all the carpets were ripped up under my bed, the staff were a joke! Even one evening when we returned to the hotel the lady working was outside with her tongue down her biker boyfriend's neck, we walked on into the hotel and waited for her at the frontdesk and she didn't even bother to come in! To top it off a gold braclett went missing from my room

It is close to central park

The location of the hotel is great. You guys need to reinforce the non-smoking rule and clean often.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The hostel claims to be smoke free but they had one customer (Rick, the man with one leg) who smoked in the hallways and the shared bathrooms. I complained from the first day about it but there was no change. This was very disappointed. The stairways and the carpet in the hallway were very dirty and smelly. The shared bathroom needed more daily cleaning.

I liked the location the most. The room was nice.

Horrible. We cancelled the latter dates.
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

The shared bathroom was not clean. We booked for 6 days, and 2 days later. The hotel staff didnt want us to leave our luggage there for 2 days. They weren't very accomodating.

Would definitely stay again. I spend very little time in a hotel room so it was worth the money!
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The light switch by the door went to the overhead fan but the pull switch to the lights did not work so the lighting was poor and I had to enter into a dark room.

My reservation was not in the system but the desk clerk on duty "moved things around" in the computer and found me a room. It was an upgrade to what I had reserved and I did not have to pay extra. The room had a refrigerator which was a nice bonus. There were several on street parking spots available and the location is a very short walk to the subway.

Lost original room due to flood, was almost screwed.
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

No wash cloths. Hair dryer is at desk. No alarm clock Light was not connected.

Clerk eventually found me a room after they lost 13 rooms due to a flood. He had to legally wait until someone did not show up.

Uncomfortable vs good location? NOT for everyone.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The fact they tell you after yo arrive that the room has a shared* bathroom when you thought otherwise. Did not feel safe.

Not as advertised. Booked a double room with bathroom to realize upon arriving there was a share bathroom for 3 different rooms. Not nice. Staff was nice but place very old. Only good thing was location.

Awful. Stay away.

We booked 2 nights despite the low rating because of the free cancellation policy. When we arrived the hotel was filthy, and the window unit in the room was broken, so the window was effectively open (with no option of closing it) so the non-smoking room constantly smelled of smoke due to smoke from the street. We immediately went down to talk to the receptionist, who was extremely rude, and shouted at us that there's nothing he can do, we can talk to the manager on Monday (it was Saturday). We stayed the night (had no other option) and checked out the next morning. Awful night. Talked to the manager on Monday, who was polite and promised to refund the night we didn't stay at the hotel. It's a month later and still no refund. Stay away.

cheap

When we arrived at 12 am ( and we called ahead to let them know we would arrive later), they had given our rooms away and were forced to go elsewhere. Ridiculous!!!

cheap

I enjoyed the Upper West Side location with its diverse...
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

No frills just a place to crash

I enjoyed the Upper West Side location with its diverse population near the university, a short subway ride from central Manhattan The facilities are sufficient but it is the cost compared to other New York.choices that is the greatest asset.

We appreciated location but the hotel is dirty, old, and the repairs are done at the lowest cost.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The elevator very dirty, the general cleanliness, (though the charwomen obviously did what they could, the curtains - dirty, torn and unopenable-, the room very small, no bedside lamp, just one lamp in the center of the room, unsecure electric plugs,

The location, the price not too high

I wish I changed my booking for an extra 40-50 dollar per night and stayed at a decent hotel.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The bed was squeaking a lot. The room had no bed side lamp, which made everything a bit dodgy at night, having to turn on the lights all the time... How expensive could a side lamp be? Also, our room was next to the bathroom, which was ok, but we kept hearing the sound of peeing and flushing from the bathrooms upstairs and downstairs as well. The condition of the toilets and showers depend on the ppl who stay there. It was ok with me, I just took a shower with my plastic slippers on. In general, the hotel was very old, dirty and dodgy. I wish I paid 40-50 dollars more per night and stayed in a comfy room. Because the price per night with taxes comes up to 110 dollars anyway, which is way too much for a hotel like this. Look for last minute deals from booking.com and change your reservation if you can, if not, just come here to sleep and shower.

The only OK thing about this hotel was that it was close to the subway, and somewhat close to upper west side... Also, housekeeping came every day to tidy the bed and empty the trash but it is a nonsense effort bec the whole place is very old and dirty in general. I did not see any bugs, however, I got some bites on my ankles, but I get bitten a lot by spiders, so I guess that's what they are. I do not have any infection or itching. I wanted to write this because I hate bugs and was really down bec I read some awful things about this hotel. So, it is not the biggest concern.

Overall the property is a good cheap stay in a super expensive city.
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

New tile in the shared bathroom would be a good investment for the property owner. Just the floors.

Clean linens and room otherwise good, but hallway carpet and especially shared bathroom floor was grimey beyond belief. I am not picky so that says something. Overall the property is a good cheap stay in a super expensive city.

Horrible stay. Will not stay there again.

I didn't like the facility, the service, and the room.

I did not like anything about the place. The staff is rude. They also double charged the booking.

Run down and stuffy, but clean and cheap.
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

The outside entrance looks pleasant and bright, but what lies within is not. When I read reviews about how run-down it is, I thought we wouldn't mind, but we did. Shared toilets (which I was aware we might have) not ideal for teenagers. The room was stuffy and the window air con unit didn't help much (and it wasn't even super hot despite being July). Fortunately we were only there for a brief layover and all we did was sleep.

Good location, very handy for LaGuardia bus. Line 1 Subway station just around the corner. Nearby Riverside Park very nice, several blocks from Central Park. It is at least clean, though very old feeling. The beds were fine. There is a fridge in the room and a shared kitchen for those who might want to cook, however, no place to sit and eat.

Terrible hotel

The staff was very unfriendly. I asked for a room for 2 adults and 1 child. They sent me an email where it was written "it should be fine" but when I arrived they told me that it wasn't true and the responsible was booking. I showed their email but the result was nothing.They asked me to pay one room extra. In addition the hotel was very dirty and a terrible place. I saw a rat out of the hotel. Bad experience!

Okay if your touring NY all day

This place has a permanent weird smell you can't miss . Everything is okay ...but it could be just a tiny bit better . The front desk do what they have to basically but can't even fake crack a smile . The bathroom is tiny and they give you these weird soap samples . I guess it's not bad if your out of the room most of the time . Small little fridge included .

It was what it was for a last minute booking in Manhattan .

As far as hostels go, probably the best i have seen in the U.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Shared bathrooms, when booking, it wasn't really made clear that this was a hostel, but you can do way way worse than this. Its a place to sleep and put your stuff, and if that's all you need, you'll have no problems.

As far as hostels go, probably the best i have seen in the U.S. Great and convenient location, extremely courteous and helpful staff, reasonable price.

Not for families over 4. Small beds, but kind of Central. Would not book again.
    • Deluxe Quadruple Room

Too expensive. Not family friendly with small beds and room. No posibility for extra beds. Need an upgrade, looks old and worn.

Close to Central Park, metro line1 and bus to Laguardia airport. Many places to eat nearby. Luggageroom available for free after checkout. Wi-Fi working.

Don't do it to yourself!
    • Economy Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

Discustingly filthy dirty! Don't stay here, awful in every single way! Never ever imagined anything could be so dirty. Plus, all furniture was falling apart! Couldn't be worse!!!!!!!!

NOTHING

2 blocks from NYC subway
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Words simply cant describe. Why dont you send someone to pay a visit at the "property"... .

2 blocks from NYC subway NOTHING else to like. I had a deep sense of sadness and shame for staying there.

Terrible
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The room is very small and there's no bathroom inside, you have to use the hallway bathroom with everyone else and they're never cleaned

Nothing but at least there's an air conditioner and a tv

Wouldn't stay here again
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The price was too high fur such a low quality hotel. The whole hotel had a musty smell and they only had two bathrooms per floor (for approximately 20 rooms per floor, and in our case, one of the bathrooms was out of order). There was a cockroach in our room. The "lobby" did not have any place to sit. The whole experience was depressing.

The location was not perfect, but it was Ok.

Everything important was working - TV, fan in the ceiling,...

The faucet was not working well. Couldn't get any hot water when you wanted to clean your hands in the sink. No other lights than the lamp in the ceiling. Some tiles in the bathroom was loose and came off when you stepped on them. Room could all in all been cleaner but I assume the room was simply too worn out to look cleaner. When I did the booking I paid for a double supreme room with private bathroom, on Morningside inn's homepage they show a picture of a room with three beds - one double and one single so I thought that's what my daughter and I would get. However when we arrived we got a tiny room with a double bed and private bathroom. When I pointed this out for the staff I was told what I got was a supreme room for two. So perhaps Morningside inn could do a better job in presenting their rooms in a clearer way to avoid any misunderstandings.

Everything important was working - TV, fan in the ceiling, toilet was ok, enough hot water when we had a shower, fridge was big enough and worked well. Bedsheets seemed to be clean and bath towels had a good size and looked pretty new. A/C worked well but was rather noisy. Room was tidied every day and we got new clean towels. Staff was friendly and seemed willing to help if you had any problems or questions. If you are just looking for somewhere to sleep it's a good choice - it's cheap and the neighborhood is quiet. Metro is near (110 gate) and so is shops and a McDonald's.

I had a problem with my room air conditioner and tv and i...
    • Budget Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I had a problem with my room air conditioner and tv and i took so many time to solve with the staff that was not giving the attention to my problem. In the end of the night after lots of discussions, they gave me another better and Confort Room. The carpet was very dirty and old.

Very torchuring

There could have been breakfast and facilities.The charges drawn were $153 including taxes,although when I booked,a different rate was given.This is simply deceptive and unethical.

Hopeless hotel with extraordinary charges.Other hotels are far better.Staff is non-cooperative.

Not what I expected

Cleanliness of the room, there was staining on the ceiling and the rug was stained with a large ring of white residue right by the entrance of the room, plus not all rooms have their own bathroom

Air conditioner in the room

Great for the price
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The lock of the room, could be more strong, anyway it worked.

The location, the proximity to the MTA Station, the town, near to Central Partk and the Hudson river.

I had a shared bathroom but the owner gave me a seperate...
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The luggage dump area was bad. Check in time too late.

I had a shared bathroom but the owner gave me a seperate room as I was a single asian lady traveling alone. Staff was very sweet.

worse property ever

Phone not working in the room, no WiFi, carpet dirty, no phone signal in the room, no vending machines, manager not available on weekends

Nothing to like about this property

Browse Morningside Inn traveller photo gallery