Reviews of Rose Garden Inn 2 stars

3643 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93105, USA

#66 of 71 hotels in Santa Barbara

Ok, but room for improvement
    • Queen Room

Not enough on site parking. Clerk charged me the wrong fee. He didn't show me before charging my card. Vanity light didn't work, until I called in to get it fixed....

Several restaurants and retailers in walking distance. Free HBO

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

The toilet leaked in the bathroom and had to be replaced.
    • Queen Room

The toilet leaked in the bathroom and had to be replaced. I had to leave the room for several hours and couldn't occupy. I asked the front desk for a rate reduction since I was unable to stay in the room I paid for, but nothing has come through yet. No room move was offered, either.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Like the place and would stay there again

Bathroom floor had a huge crack by the toilet. The ice machine was far from our room. The balcony was a little dirty.

great place to stay. Nice comfy bed. nice area for hotel. Was there for our anniversary and was on our way home. we went to the zoo. Walked around where the hotel and had a good breakfast at cute little restaurant.

Maybe just for one night
    • Queen Room

Unfortunately $123 a night on a Sunday night is one of the lower prices in Santa Barbara even for a plain motel which is too high for that kind of place. I am glad we only stayed one night and we probably won’t stay here again At least it was clean and the sheets were clean and that is the most important thing to me The caulking in the bathroom really needs to be redone and that should be a simple easy fix They say every room has a kitchen but our room did not have a real kitchen what it had was a small fridge and a microwave no kitchen sink or stove which are on top of the chest of drawers We felt safer on the top floor and I would not have stayed there if I was not with my husband The chain on the door was broken and there was A broken outlet cover. On the upside there’s a Denny’s right across the street if you get hungry The blinds did not work properly Odd room layout The TV is on the left side of the bed This place would be OK if the prices were lower

The sheets and room were clean and the bed was comfortable No bugs. Nicely painted. We picked this place mostly because it was near the Santa Barbara bowl

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

• Queen Room

The room was awful. They had slipcover that didn’t fit on the sofa. The chair was dirty. Paint was missing or chipped. The smoke alarm was missing. The pillows where half size. The tub needs resurfaced. It was a ripoff.

Best value in town

A little ratty in the back alley when trying to walk a dog otherwise very nice for the age of the property

Wonderful front counter staff. The young lady was extremely pleasant.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Meh
    • Queen Room

The wifi was terrible.. . Could not connect with any device because the wifi was a trickle or did not show up at all.. . Told the guy at the front desk but he just shrugged it off and didn't do anything about it. Water pressure was ok, nothing great.

It was pretty clean.

The property was located in a convenient area, close to...

The website or hotel posted the wrong price and I had to pay an inflated price because of the mistake. The facility is very out of date and poorly kept while only offering location as a plus. I would have much rather spent the premium on a hotel that was clean and well lit.

The property was located in a convenient area, close to great restaurants while the beach was a short shot away.

Pleasant and comfortable. Great value
    • Queen Room

Bed is good but could be a little better.

Easy check in. Nice owner on site. All employees were pleasant. My dog loves this place. Walkable to good restaurants. Jeanines right down the street

Could Have Been Better but Good for 1 night
    • Queen Room

The room had a kitchenette but no dishes or silverware. No soap to wash dishes, no kitchen towels or even paper towels. Not sure what I was paying for here. There were ants in the bathroom and the toilet needed a new float valve as it was continually running until I removed the tank lid and adjusted the old valve to get it to stop running. The girl took my comments immediately to the housekeepers and maintenance. When I went into the kitchen area I could see debris under the bed. Wasn't cleaned under the bed.

The room was fairly quiet even though on a busy street. The bed was comfortable. Was close to Whole Foods but no way to cook in the kitchen. I had to use an exacto knife from my car and the coffee pot to make my salad.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Comfortable, easy access to freeway, quiet room and super comfortable bed

No towels when we checked into our room, the carpeting outside in the hall hadn't been cleaned in 20 years or so, there was a kitchen but no way to use it unless we brought our own pots, pans, etc. There was no breakfast and for almost $200.00 a night, we expected the norm - not even perks. And the toilet ran

Beds were comfortable and the location was great, nice to have a kitchen and fridge in the room

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

This is a great location for travel to Santa Barbara and is...

This is a great location for travel to Santa Barbara and is a good deal for this city during their peak tourist season. There is an abundance of restaurants and nearby shops and getting anywhere in SB from the property is very easy!

Great location!

Unfortunately here was no breakfast included or pool.

Great location! Beautiful, big, spacious room! I felt like I was in a condo. Plus there was a mini kitchen! Everything was so clean and comfortable. I would definitely comeback to this INN!

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

I have been staying there for work for the past several...
    • Queen Room

Carolina the morning staff member is not very customer service oriented and when I extended my stay one more day she didn’t pay attention to the rate and I was almost overcharged by $100.00. I really like John and the other staff have been really accommodating but this was upsetting especially since I have been staying there for the past several weeks.

I have been staying there for work for the past several weeks and John has always been really great and provides great service!

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!
    • Queen Room

They lost our reservations....well, not lost. The woman at the front desk confirmed that they recieved our reservations from booking.com, but neglected to enter it in their system. And of course, they were booked for the night. Everyone was booked for the night. After driving 4 hours, this was not what I wanted to hear. She just kept repeating "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry." She did nothing to make it right. Very disappointed in the customer service at Rose Garden Inn.

NOTHING!

Run away !! N y allez pas !!

The manager was very aggressive and rude. there are ants in the room. it is very very noisy you hear the rooms on the sides and outside. worst hotel of my trip.

Rien

it was pleasant
    • Queen Room

the only thing I didnt like was the they charged my card before I arrived and I didn't read anywhere in my reservations they were doing that. I even called to ask if I could pay cash at the time I checked in and they said yes. This caused me some issues with my bank.

good value for the money.

Couldn't wait to leave the room. We would never recommend or stay at this hotel again.

Bed sheets were old, pilled and dirty looking- disgusting! Sink did not drain properly. Curtains looked old and dirty. Bathtub was old and looked dirty. Stairs were dirty. It appears that there s no ongoing maintenance of this property. It's very run down.

It was a little bit far from downtown, but it had a lot of...
    • Queen Room

If you had a lot of luggage with you there is no elevator.

It was a little bit far from downtown, but it had a lot of restaurants around. Room and bathroom very clean, with a good air conditioning. Parking good.

We would stay there again.

Loved the spacious and colorful rooms. The motel was quiet and there was even a coin-operated washer and dryer as well as an ice machine down the hall.

I liked the prices an the comfort.
    • Queen Room

A light bulb was out in Our room.

I liked the prices an the comfort. An that each room has microwave an fridge. An The staff was very nice an informative.

Great value; nice facility, convenient to shopping mall and business.
    • Queen Room

I couldn't make the coffee maker work, but could have asked and I know they would have helped.

Santa Barbara is popular and pricey, but Rose Garden was affordable, near where I had business, comfortable and quiet with WIFI for quality work time. I will book again because as a family we go to SB often and I'll probably take advantage of the pet option someday.

Not what I would have expected
    • Queen Room

Only had one bath towel in the room. My girlfriend had gone to office to get more towels and the person was very rude and flippant toward her.

The bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

Should have done my homework attendant was nice
    • Queen Room

Layout, cover ups on chairs and smell

No breakfast here, looks nice in the pics room smelled musty, somewhat old and renovated cover ups are apparent. Two queen beds one looked like they did not wash the linens we stayed in the other bed. Has a small stove and sink if you need it we were in late and out early and didn't want to pay a lot for the short time we stayed.

Too much moving

1St room that was booked was not ready when checking in, was moved to another room and that room smelled like something was burnt had whole room smelling. Then was placed in a 3rd room just decided to stay with that room was tired of moving stuff back and forth between rooms and to make things worse was my birthday weekend.

That there was coffee and microwave and very nice rooms .
    • Queen Room

Just .needs to have some smoking rooms sence you could only smoke in your own place .. but everything else is good.....

That there was coffee and microwave and very nice rooms ...

Needs complete remodel
    • Queen Room

Needs total remodel. Cleaning staff did what they could. Many things were falling apart, the bathroom tile was broken, the main hallways were old and filthy and everything just looked run down.

Our room was very spacious.

The room was comparable to a small 1 bedroom apartment with...

The room was comparable to a small 1 bedroom apartment with a small kitchen & full bath. The room was not fancy & some drawers in dresser were broken. However, the front desk person was excellent and the room was clean & comfortable. Very good place to stay for the price.

Small quaint easy access.
    • Queen Room

The load generator noises from the neighbor shook the room and was super loud, intermittently. Room was small but ok for one night. They do allow dogs. That was great.

The Roses

Room was ok, big and comfortable.
    • Queen Room

Room was dirty, they have bugs inside bathroom and kitchen. It was awful. At the reception desk was guy who probably smoked marihuana and he has dirty hands and communication with him was difficult.

Room was ok, big and comfortable.

Roses.
    • Queen Room

Price/value. For the price (200$ for a night) I expected much more, than a 50$ motel what we get. The room was the last one beside the ice and laundry maschine at the staircase... it was so anoingly noise that we barely could sleep during the night. The parking is tight. It would be an average review score (ca.6.5) if it would cost 50-70$ but for 200 it is unacceptable.

Roses. Friendly staff. Easy access S.B.'s Downtown.

Proximity to everything.

Disorganized staff. Rooms assigned were not ready at checkin. Rooms could have been better maintained. Bathroom screen broken and tub needed detailed cleaning.

Proximity to everything.

Great location and staff. Bed not as amazing. But overall perfect.
    • Queen Room

Our bed was very firm so for us was not our favorite. Also, the bed squeaked whenever we moved.

The staff was very nice and gave us local advise on what to explore during our trip since this was our first time to santa barbara. The location was great. Close to everything.

You get what you pay for, close to a lot of things but not that comfortable.
    • Queen Room

It was loud (construction?) on Saturday morning, could hear people walking down the stairs right outside our door.

One of the cheaper places in Santa Barbara. Good location.

Staff was great.
    • Queen Room

The key sensor wouldn't work. Took a long time for the door to unlock after about 15-20 tries. Had to get a new key at one point

Staff was great. Location was great

Would stay here again. Good value for cost.
    • Queen Room

View would be nice but not possible at this location. WiFi easy and dependable. No vending machines for snacks.

Reasonable cost compared to elsewhere. Near amenities. Landscaping quite lovely.friendly and helpful staff. Washer and dryer available!

If you just need a bed then this place will do.

If you've never been to Santa Barbara it's a little further out from town than expected, so not much within walking distance to eat or drink. Arrived late at night, and tired, thought the road noise was a little loud, didn't realise till the morning the window was actually wide open and it was just this mesh over the opening giving the appearance it was closed. Live and Learn.

The room was clean and tidy, easy check in and out. What you'd expect for a 2/3 star property.

Absolutely the worst room I have ever rented!
    • Queen Room

Rooms Smelled really bad, Bathroom has broken window, Cracked and pealing ceilings and the Plumbing was horrible. When you turn on the shower the pipes shook really loud and I am sure woke up everyone.

Nothing, Very disappointed. I would not pay $29 for a night.

The bed was incredible.
    • Queen Room

Nothing really bad, but I would have liked an extra blanket (in the closet) as it was a little cool and I didn't want to turn on the heat. That would have been nice, but not necessary.

The bed was incredible. I loved the central location and access to everything. The check-in was easy and the staff friendly and helpful. I was in town to visit a friend, the location was close to everything; the mission, shopping, dining, freeways.

I would not recommend this hotel and will not be staying at it again.

Our bathroom had a major leak under the sink. You could not use the sink without getting the floor and yourself wet. This was not a little leak, but a big one. When we came back to our room the next day nothing was fixed. Also, the furniture in the room was old and broken.

Close proximity to the Earl Warren Showgrounds where I was working. Also close (within walking distance) to some good restaurants.

Meh
    • Queen Room

Small parking lot, bad spaces, bad shower, lumpy bed, smelled like paint, paper thin walls, trouble sleeping because of night owls in neighboring rooms.

The worst stay I have ever stayed and probably one of the most expensive too.

The shampoo bottles were used and thrown in a basket in the bathroom. The wall unit never cooled the room down and was very loud. The bathroom fan was broken. Cob webs in the room. The closet didn’t have a door on it. For $275 a night, I expected SOOO much more!

The location because it was right down the street from the home of the family we were visiting. The room was an OK size and I liked the fact that the room had a microwave and that they allowed pets. That’s all.

not worth the money

no elevator. had a 6mo with me and had to carry car seat and all luggage up a flight of stairs. housekeeping banged on the walls while cleaning so forget trying to take a nap after a long car ride or have your child sleep.

Not bad, decent value for Santa Barbara (but problems with shower curtains)
    • Queen Room

The shower curtain curved rod was not well-mounted to walls, and was sagging so badly that the curtain kept dropping to the middle, meaning a large gap on both ends--so the bathroom floor got wet when I showered. The next morning I reported this and they said they'd be happy to move me to another room. That afternoon I returned to the new room, and it had the same problem! (although not as bad, so the curtain was able to do its job). Also in the new room, the heat/cool knob was missing from the heater/air conditioner (fortunately I didn't need it). And though the rooms were non-smoking, smoking was allowed on the hallway outside and on my first night from inside my room I could smell both cigarette and weed smoke (though not strong).

Convenient location. Clean. Reasonably comfortable. Staff friendly. Denny's close by, across the street.

Disgusting if this is a common practice with them
    • Queen Room

we arrived very late in the evening The first room we were give had a very foul sewer smell. I went back to reception and they gave us another room. we lifted the bed cover and found 5 long black human hairs on the bed sheets. These sheets had NOT been washed.

Clean but sparse room. Noisy area with hard beds.

It is called an Inn but this was a motel in the classic sense. The room was facing the parking lot, which was noisy. Internet was not working. TV not working. No activities to do in room but sleep.

The room was clean and the staff were helpful with what they could help with.

Don't go there.
    • Queen Room

Walls are paper thin...Heard EVERYTHING... And I mean EVERYTHING. All night long!! FYI Don't bring your children. Started to wonder what this hotel is actually used for.

The room was clean

In a great spot for what we wanted with stores and not far...
    • Queen Room

Didn’t like the very weird shape of our room, almost like two rooms stuck together with an extra window inside. Not the cleanest place.

In a great spot for what we wanted with stores and not far off the main road.

Cheapest I could find in Santa Barbara

Too expensive for what we got. No pool/common area/extras, but it was fine for a night's rest. Our room wasn't ready when we got there for check-in (no apology) so we waited 10 minutes while it was being cleaned.

The most average experience of hotel stays. Thin walls so my dog barked more than usual at the noises.

Great location in SB, quiet, and good value.
    • Queen Room

The room needs a new coat of paint; I could see places on the walls that had been patch painted. One of the electrical outlets needs to be fixed (the cover plate was hanging askew and I could see the edges of the unfinished box).

The room was small but cozy. The bed and pillow were very comfortable, the air in the room a nice temperature, and it was very quiet.

Lousy, old and superficially clean

Very, very poor quality for the money we paid. Everything was sticky in the room and quite used. Didn’t feel at ease to spend one night in that room. Moreover all noises from outside were very audible in the room, especially passing cars. I would not recommend this stay to anyone.

Great for drama and noise !
    • Queen Room

Staff were rude, Had a couple fighting yelling screaming and running outside naked. Called front desk and he said it was a personal dispute and wouldnt respond to it. Keeping the guests happy wasnt their priority. I called the local PD myself and when they arrived they took care of business Thank you SBPD !!.

Close to restraunts

Got what we paid for... reasonable price for fair room.
    • Queen Room

Condition of room was not good, holes in the wall, took forever to get hot water, hair dryer did not work, loud people easily heard through walls.

Bed was good

Terrible!

Worst experience ever. I requested to have the police contacted due to suspicious illegal activity. Didn’t feel safe on this property. Manager is rude and disrespectful.

there isn’t anything to like

The front desk worker was patient and kind.

The phone did not work, and the power cord was missing to the t.v. their was no staff other than the front desk guy who had to come fix our t.v. Luckily he was nice about it.

The front desk worker was patient and kind. I really like the fact that we were walking distance to a variety of food places.

Clean and comfortable

The tv was small and the wall mounted air conditioner was a bit loud.

When we reserved this motel we weren't expecting it to be fancy. While it wasn't modern nor plush, it exceeded our expectations. It was very clean, large, beds were comfortable, and the location was convenient. We will stay here again.

Second visit to the Rose Garden Inn
    • Queen Room

Mini fridge didn't work properly, Wi-Fi conection was spotty/inconsistent, trashcans too small to use, shower head missing along with screen and blinds in bathroom.

Second story room much better than 1st, accommodating and friendly staff, good location, free WiFi/parking, heat and A.C. worked great, appreciated how well window dressings in bedroom blocked out light.

Extra large room
    • Queen Room

Overuse of disinfectant spray/cleaner. Had to air out room after housecleaning each day. And left gummy substance on bathroom floor!

Extra large room

It was ok. I didn’t expect much going in and that’s what I got
    • Queen Room

Room was kind of dirty. There was rotten food in the mini fridge when we checked in that they didn’t clean out. Towels were thread bare sheets had seen better days.

Things were fine as we were there for one night.
    • Queen Room

Things were fine as we were there for one night. The site made this look like it was on the beach or at least near it which was not the case. We did kill a roach scooting across the floor but the room still appeared to be clean. The rooms are cute and the kitchen aspect is great for anyone that needs it.

Decent place at a very convenient location

One bed was touching the heater, the bathroom was a bit outdated. There is no breakfast option.

The overall appearance of the room was pleasant. The additional den kind of a room with table chair and ironing supplies was a surprise. Beds were comfortable. The reception desk staff person was very courteous. Good to have a coffee maker in the room , could start our morning on a good note.

You get what you pay for.
    • Queen Room

You get what you pay for. I stayed here for two nights and was just in the room to sleep. Room was clean and had everything I needed (hair dryer, small fridge), but is definitely outdated - loose outlets, walls patched, stains in the sink etc.. Thin walls. Staff does the least necessary.

Sucks

He charged me $25 per pet and I have 3 small but he wouldn't give me a break so I left. But paid over $200 for a total dump with unfriendly staff. You would think if they charged that much they would at least have an area that the dogs could go potty. And the room was gross.

Gross

Lots of parking and decent places for breakfast and food...
    • Queen Room

We were given room 103 which was next door to the laundry room. It was noisy right up until the staff left and then again in the morning. The floor looked like it hasn't been cleaned. BUT we stayed here on NYE and paid over 100 dollars so this maybe Impacting my review.

Lots of parking and decent places for breakfast and food shopping close by.

The hot shower.
    • Queen Room

There are quite a few things that I didn’t like. The bathroom sink remained clogged. There was about an inch to an inch and a half gap under the door. I could not see out of the door because it was clogged with tissue through the people. The bed was uncomfortable. There were patched holes in the wall.

The hot shower. But the tub was stained

The price doesn't match the quality of the room, however it was disinfected great job housekeeping
    • Queen Room

Way over priced, poor showers, leaky ice bucket, gnats in the room, big air gap under the front door ,and bathroom door was hard to close, despite boarded up windows

See above
    • Queen Room

The room was filthy. I had to wipe down every surface including the floors before I could actually settle in. There were ants in the bathroom and the bed was lopsided. I had stayed there once before and found it to be quite a different place. It was clean, it was well cared for and I was very comfortable. But not this time.

Location fine and cost low for Santa Barbara, but we won't be back.
    • Queen Room

Just a weird hotel: we were told no dogs allowed, yet it appeared that several people in the hotel had dogs. While we didn't see anything obvious, there were sketchy looking people around and we wondered about the overall safety. Arriving late at night, it was hard to find parking in the lot and we squeezed into a spot that left us open to being hit. Finally, the room was awkwardly arranged; we had to shuffle sideways against the wall to get around the end of the bed to get to the TV.

Our room was quiet.

Cheap seats with a bad view for the Dodgers
    • Queen Room

Someone from the property called me during dinner around 6 PM to determine if we were still coming to the hotel. That was a little weird and unprecedented, I thought with this particular booking and a no refund policy whoever called must have been considering renting the room out twice. When I arrived the night clerk was unfriendly and unwelcoming. I thought the bathroom sink was worn out and pitted so after splashing some water to determine if it was rusted, I rubbed my fingers only to clean off dirty residue. After cleaning the sink I realized the problem was that it was not draining and the rust was actually grease coming up from the drain. I don't normally care if the television works or not, but it was the first game of the NLCS. The tv would turn on but there was no picture. I called the night clerk who arrived fairly promptly and surprisingly chipper and smelling of legal California weed. He moved a large chest around, unplugged and replugged the tv and the cable box left the room while advising "once the picture comes up wait a few minutes and press the guide button" it did come up as advised but no buttons on tv or remote worked and the tv was stuck on The Weather Channel. Not the Cubbies vs Dodgers just weather stories and local temps for the next few days. When I called the night clerk and advised, he said he would come right back up, but he never did. I guess the weed got the better of him. I got my baseball updates on the phone. The Dodgers bested the Cubs. The Rose Garden got the best of me.

Location was fine. Color pallet in the room was lovely, and the biggest growing natural vine I have ever seen!

For the purpose of our trip it was okay, we were only for one night just to sleep.
    • Queen Room

Very small room, the restroom seat was broken and very old furniture.

They are close to the retail stores and restaurants and really good access from the freeway.

I'm handicapped as for downstairs room didn't get it...

I'm handicapped as for downstairs room didn't get it when I questioned it at the front desk I didn't even get a response just a dirty look

I was embarassed that I had chosen this room for my family's stay.

The furniture inside room was shabby and worn. Bathroom was updated and clean but window screen was broken. Overall, disappointed.

Location on State Street was great. Price was in lower range of properties in area.

Good value for the room in a quaint setting.

While the sleeping area was nice, the bathroom was not impressive. Rust on areas, broken window, over all just underwhelming.

Good value for the room in a quaint setting.

comfy cozy bed and outstanding friendly staff and customer service.
    • Queen Room

it's in the process of a make over, however the peek hole on the door is huge and the light from the parking lot happened to be lined up with the peek hole and was brightly magnified into my room, the curtain needs a new track to slide on and hang properly, i wasn't able to close the curtains to keep the light out at night. with the correct furniture and placement of the fridge and coffee maker(gross needs sanitizing) get rid of the nasty old sitting chair (the office chair at the desk is perfect) invest in a couple more house keepers and maintenance man this place will be worth the money spent. BTW i booked the room that didn't come with free cancellation or refund, non the less the property manager should have the rooms uniformily up to par, because people will notice and write reviews and santa barbara is a huge tourist destination and there are plenty of other hotels to choose from. one last thing, to management: put a latch lock on the inside of the door for added security, as a single woman traveling alone i felt uneasy about not having that extra door latch.

the staff is exceptionally friendly, helpful and pleasant. the bed was amazingly comfortable, it was just right, comfy cozy. the shower has great pressure with a few options on the shower head, hair dryer and room on the sink counter for my primping supplies. it also has a window in the bathroom, perfect for natural lighting and fresh air, to let the steam out. the laminate wood floor is very nice and the tv and wifi worked really well and the facility was quiet and is near a restraunt donut shop bar gas station bus stops nail spa, all in short walking distance. i would stay again.

Great value since Santa Barbara can be expensive.
    • Queen Room

The door's peephole was broken, so there was a tissue jammed into the hole. There were damages to the walls in the room. This didn't affect our stay, of course- I just think these are small fixes and could really improve the quality of the room. The cleaning crew was nice, but very loud pretty early in the morning. We didn't complain since they were trying to work- I just was hoping to sleep in a little.

Great location and a great price. Loved that the hotel was pet friendly. The bed was very comfortable. Very spacious room.