Reviews of Munras Inn 2 stars

1010 Munras Avenue, Monterey, CA 93940, USA

#11 of 67 hotels in Monterey

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Fireplace

Not a big deal, but the shower door jammed and a screw broke off. We notified the front desk, who apologized; but again, wasn't a bit deal to us!

The room was gorgeous! Definitely a hidden gem.

Everything!

I have stayed at more than 20 locations that I have booked through this service and this is the first time I have been unhappy about a hotel! The air conditioning unit that was meant to be on the floor was hung high up on the wall. The room was badly in need of repainting. The were 6 holes in the ceiling that were covered by some kind of metal cover. The office person did not speak English well so it was hard to converse. The "continental" breakfast was a joke. Apples and few cheap packaged sweet rolls.

• King Room with Fireplace

Upon checkout, I requested my invoice be emailed to me as I needed it for my business accounting. Even after a follow up call, I have not received the receipt.

While the architecture may be deceiving, it’s obvious that the rooms have been renovated. The room was charming... mine had a gas fireplace which I used every evening! The bed was perfect and the bathroom was clean & modern. The room was also wonderfully taken care of by the staff. I didn’t have any kind of a view, but who cares?! You’re in Monterey! You should be outside!

Heating system didn’t work. Electric breaker tripped off several times while the space heater they provided to substitute for the faulty heating system was in use. No bedside lamps. One washcloth and one hand towel for two people. No safety bars in or around the shower. No bottled drinking water provided or for sale.

Staff tried to be helpful.

The continental breakfast isn't bad but it isn't the healthiest either. It's all pre-packaged food (pastries, muffins, pb & j Crustables, instant oatmeal packets, canned juice, etc). They have Keurig coffee makers in the rooms but we had to get water the next morning before I could use it because although there is a downstairs ice machine, there wasn't any water available at night.

The room was modern & roomy. The King bed was comfortable and more than enough for our family of 4 (2 adults + 1 toddler & 1 baby). We brought in a Rock n Play for the baby to sleep in just in case there wasn't room, but there is definitely room for a travel crib or even full-size playpen for a longer stay (just keep in mind, there are no elevators). It was a quick 5 minute drive to Cannery Row and we were happy overall with the room, location and price.

No issues

Comfortable large rooms with good facilities. Coffee making and breakfast availability in reception which you can to your room. Walking distance to Monterey town and restaurants.

• King Room with Fireplace

The heat would not come on in the room. After a few attempts to reset the thermostat via the computer (by the wonderful lady at the front desk) it would not come on .... the fireplace was nice but I was thankful for the blanket I brought from home!

Liked the location, the upgraded room, the comfortable bed, the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff!

• King Room with Fireplace

There was the last guests hair all in the bathroom in the shower and on the bathroom floor which was a bit gross .

Room was lovely and spacious. Spacious bathroom. Beautiful room. Lovely fire . The staff were very helpful and friendly .

I wish I knew the sink was not in the bathroom. I prefer a complete bathroom and it wasn’t. Also we could work out the air con so was quite cold. Otherwise ok

The room was nice and modern

• King Room with Fireplace

Cannot think of anything. No view from this room by for a short stay not an issue.

No breakfast included but still great value. Lovely big room and a super bathroom and shower! Best room of our two week trip so far .

• King Room with Fireplace

Sound insulation is not good. It's very clear if someone talk outside your room.

The hotel is remodelled, it's modern and clean, very comfortable and spacious.

• King Room with Fireplace

Very comfy bed, big room, good facilities for a motel. I am from the UK and am finding everything expensive and while here is certainly not cheap it is better value than many of the places I have stayed in and I would use here again if I come back

• Deluxe Room with 2 queen beds

The breakfast was actually not what we expected but there was a great café for breakfast just around the corner

It was the perfect location for one night and just in walking distance into town

• King Room with Fireplace

Breakfast average - fresh bagels or bread would be better than frozen burritos.

Clean, modern, spacious rooms. Quiet. Good bathroom. Good location - about 10 mins to walk to the Harbour area.

They gave us access to our room and it hadn’t been cleaned and the staff seemed totally unaware of the situation. After a long drive we were asked to leave for an hour so they could clean the room and we had no idea where to go for a coffee and found a Starbucks inside a Safeway. Not a great start to our weekend getaway

• King Room with Fireplace

Cleanliness could have been a bit better.

The room was good. Nice tile in the bathroom and carpet in the bedroom area. Some things were just a little bit dirty but didn't completely bother us enough to complain. There were some hairs stuck on the bathroom wall and a couple of stains on the top of the bathroom door and bed comforter. We just didn't sleep with the comforter and had brought some of our own blankets. Other than that, the location was great and the fire place and heating was perfect.

• King Room with Fireplace

The fireplace in our room didn’t work and the hotel concierge came to check it and just said, “I will let the maintenance man know.” No offer for us to get a discount or change rooms, etc. I really wanted the fireplace ambiance, as this was a romantic trip with my hubby. Disappointing, but overall the place was clean and nice. You can’t have everything you want I suppose....

Great location. Free parking.

• King Room with Fireplace

Cramped parking, small spots and caused damages to the lower part of my car bumper. Almost no breakfast.

Nice remodeled and clean room. Great bathroom with heating and hi pressure shower head.

• King Room with Fireplace

We were pleased to be able to pull our car under for dry unpacking as it was really raining. The bed was comfortable and I loved the shower head. The continental breakfast was limited but it worked. The fireplace helped warm us up until the heater warmed up.

• King Room with Fireplace

It was our 30th wedding anniversary, we received towels for 1person The smoke detector battery was low and started chirping at 1 in the am. Kept us up all night because we didn't know what it was. There's no one to call at the front desk and the emergency number was no answer. When I informed the desk clerk the following day the response was "I get it replaced" not.."I'm sorry or a credit" since the price I paid was much higher than the price the day I arrived

Nice and spacious, quiet

• King Room with Fireplace

Poor ‘breakfast’. Been travelling for a week now and this was by far the poorest, microwaveable sandwiches which were horrible and a poor assortment of pastries. We went out for breakfast each morning.

Clean spacious room, in a reasonably good location for downtown, on highway 1.

• King Room with Fireplace

The heater thermostat is more complex to use than more basic ones and was difficult at first to get it to actually adjust temperature, though heating worked fine once the learning on how to use the thermostat was done. Other than that no negatives come to mind.

Really nice like new room, spotless clean, excellent lighting, nice gas fireplace on convenient timer, Keurig coffee maker and plenty of K cups, helpful desk person, room also had nice wood sloped ceiling, and provided good parking spaces. Definitely a very nice hotel and would very much recommend it, and will plan on staying there again.

The breakfast was most disappointing compared to what we have experienced elsewhere on our trip.The pastry weren't fresh,the apples were off and the oranges chewy and not very juicy at all.

The room was lovely,well presented.

The facilitate in the room felt old and worn and the window was very small, thus the low lighting in the room. The bath room was very small and there was no hand held shower head!

Location is right next to the main traffic routes, pricing for the time was fair!

The room was kind of falling apart. There were several things that seemed to need repair; the arm to the chair was extremely loose and the door handle on the inside of the bathroom kept falling off. My kids got stuck a few times. The hotel itself was a little farther away than I realized too. Limited parking but not terrible.

The room was very clean and the people who cleaned the room were nice. The TV was a good size and overall I enjoyed the room and stay. The staff put all my daughter's stuffed animals on the bed like they were hanging out when they cleaned and she really liked it.

• King Room with Fireplace

the shower water could be hotter

fireplace in room was awesome! there was also a microwave and I was able to heat up my chips bottle before he went to bed.

• King Room with Fireplace

Parking lot is a little tight. Rooms should be vacuumed daily but our stay was nice. The location of the property makes the journey to the wharf or cannery row a short walk or drive. Its also right off highway 1 so a short trip to Carmel.

Really, nothing. If I was being picky, perhaps slightly more choice at breakfast.

Wonderful bedroom decor, we felt like we were on the ocean, extremely comfy beds and a fireplace in our room- which was such a treat! Great bathroom too with a huge shower. Close to downtown Monterey but not exactly walkable, we just hopped in a taxi to get to dinner reservations.

We had a deluxe king balcony suite, and the balcony's view was of another building. We didn't use it much. The Kuireg was awesome to have, but the powdered creamer just didn't let me enjoy my coffee- so if you need some coffee in the morning with creamer, I'd bring some.

Continental breakfast was good, frozen burritos and sandwiches with juice and muffins. Really close to 17 mile drive and not far from downtown. Parking was not a problem for us either! Very nice room, would stay again!

• King Room with Fireplace

The grounds could have been a little cleaner and kept up a little better.

The cleanliness of the rooms were terrific. The modern renovations were spectacular with the traveler in mind. The staff were super nice and friendly and more than accommodating.

Specifically picked the room with a fireplace and unfortunately it didn't work.

The colors of the room were so modern. I appreciated the balcony. The room was very spacious as well as the shower! Short bike ride from the beach!

• King Room with Fireplace

Monterey was a one night stop on our car trip, the hotel is very near to city center and main road. Big room, brand new forniture and excellent cleaning. There is a small self catered breakfast at the reception. Staff was kind, she gave us suggestions about restaurants in the area. Definitely I would come back again.

• Deluxe King Room with Balcony

Got to 1st room, stains on pillowcases and sheets. Didnt offer any compensation. Moved us to a new room. Blamed the cleanliness (or lack of)on a new maid. Front desk service was VERY unpersonable! Overall ok. But will not stay again.

Good size room

• King Room with Fireplace

There were no lamps so the only lighting was overhead cam lights that invited the entire room making it impossible for my wife to read while I relaxed. There was no seating other than the desk chair. TV service was low quality; wasn't HD. Parking is inadequate and had to park on the street a couple of times during our stay.

We liked that the room was quiet and we did not hear other guests. We are not sure if that was because we were on second floor or if the guess were quiet; I think another stay might be the only way to know.

• Deluxe Room with 2 queen beds

Only feather pillows. I am allergic. Need to get some down pillows!

The room was nice and clean. We got to check in early. And the fireplace was super charming. It was a cold night.

• King Room with Fireplace

Exterior building was a little weird but location cancels the look of it.

Rooms were updated and very modern. Very comfy bed and fireplace was an extra bonus. Recommendation approved.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Fireplace

Beds could be better and the parking is sparse and tight.

Spacious room, nice big shower/bath area. Fireplace was an added touch. Decorations were newer.

I'm so glad I found this stay! I was really impressed by the pictures of the room, and, when I arrived, that was exactly what I found..unlike when they advertise a gorgeous room but you get the ugly room. The outside of the inn is nothing to look at, so much so that, if I hadn't seen pictures of the rooms, I wouldn't have thought to stay there. But the room was gorgeous, obviously newly refurbished or built. The fireplace in the room was a romantic touch. Would highly recommend a stay here!

I noticed worn carpet going up the stairs, suitcase dings and just a worn look. The room temperature was always off and the bed was not only too soft but being a platform made noise every time in got in it.

The room was large, bath updated and clean.

• King Room with Fireplace

My only complaint is that the volume on the TV remote wouldn't go lower than 10; so when my husband wanted to go to sleep before me, I was unable to turn down the volume. He couldn't sleep with the TV that loud, so I ended up just turning off the TV. I don't understand the reason for this, especially because lower volume is better at night out of consideration for the guests next door.

I thought our deluxe king room with fireplace was tastefully remodeled and the room was very spacious and comfortable. I liked the high beam ceiling, the fireplace, the keurig coffee machine, and the frig. The continental breakfast was very nice with quite a variety, including breakfast sandwiches and egg burritos.

• King Room with Fireplace

The parking is tight. If you have a large truck, make sure to find one of the bigger spaces to park your car and don't leave. The bathroom door had a loud creak. It needed some lubrication and the phone in the room didn't work. Nothing terrible though.

Munras Inn was newly remodeled, clean and convenient. The fireplace in the room was a great feature and my girlfriend and I took full advantage of it. The room was clean and the amenities were nice. The service was great too.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Fireplace

Was recommended by a friend who stayed here. And glad I listened! It doesn’t look like much from the outside but the rooms are very nice and the location is outstanding, and the value for money is great in my opinion. I would gladly stay here each tim I’m in Monterey.

• King Room with Fireplace

The only thing we didn't like was the stone floors in the bathroom were very cold to walk on. Take some slippers to avoid any discomfort. Also, the patio area could use some natural foliage if you plan on having coffee on the premises.

• King Room with Fireplace

Bed was a little uncomfortable

Room was very clean and updated ...location was great we walked to beach, shops and cannery row.. The Wild Plum for breakfast was amazing!!! They reheated my mocha which came in a huge soup bowl, and later transferred it into a to go cup!

• King Room with Fireplace

... all part of 'value' but a little closer to the wharf would have been nice but probably the best compromise between comfort, location and cost.

The room was all I could have wished for; excellent value.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Fireplace

It’s not that I “didn’t like” it. I could tell its an older hotel, (Which I happen to like just fine) so the carpets in the hallways were dirty/run down. Walls outside in stairwells stained and dirty. If I drove by the place randomly looking for a hotel, I’d keep driving. But the rooms are great!

The room was very nice, very appealing. Nice touch with the fire place! Liked the style! Very clean. Will definitely come back!

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Fireplace

That I️ only stood one night.

The double queen beds were very comfortable. The Bathroom was very clean and bigger then expected. It’s not the Marriott but it meets the expectation.

• King Room with Fireplace

Breakfast was nothing special-coffee, cereals, muffins and yogurts but it was sufficient.

Huge room! The exterior looks quite dated but the room was modern and recently renovated. The fireplace was nice too. Very comfortable I would stay here again

Parking is very tight especially when you drive a truck.

Convenient location close to center of town. Room was nice and very clean. Employees were very friendly and helpful with local attractions, places to eat & shop.

• Deluxe Room with 2 queen beds

The walls are paper thin and you can hear EVERYTHING. We had neighbors who were up until 3am and I'm pretty sure they were filming a porno in there...we could hear everything! We were here with our family and that is not what I want my kids listening to! I also could not call the front desk because they close at 11pm! The sheets were clearly not clean as they had stains! I would never stay here again!

The room was large and spacious.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Fireplace

Munras inn was perfect for our family, the accomadation was excelent, the breaskest included everything was very satisfied for us! I really indicated this hotel in MOnterey- I would stay again if I would go to MOnterey!

• King Room with Fireplace

Convenient location between Carmel and Santa Cruz. Clean room. The fireplace was a nice touch but it was a fickle little thing that only worked when it wanted to. Overall, I'd stay here again.

TV - size is ok, but not great resolution. Only 2 bath towels, so bring some for kids (we didn't ask for extra)

Beautifully updated room, super clean, comfy bed, gorgeous ceiling light, nice USB outlets, big shower head and sink, good WiFi, quiet, good size fridge, convenient location, friendly staff

• King Room with Fireplace

The parking spaces was right outside our door, so you could hear everything so clearly that was going on out there (e.g. Luggage tolling, talking, car door closing)

Seems they just remodeled an modernize the room

Typical continental breakfast.

Very modern, very clean, great fireplace in the room. The room deserves much more than 2 stars. We will definitely recommend it. Short walk to Fisherman's Wharf.

• King Room with Fireplace

The bed was very uncomfortable, the building of the Inn is a little run-down, and although they have cable and a nice big flat screen TV in the bedrooms, it's standard and not High Definition TV; causing the picture to be very fuzzy and unclear. 20 mins. after checking in we tried to check out and get a refund because it was not what we ecpected, and the Receptionist refused to refund our money.

I like the fireplace in the room. As well as the newly remolded shower in the bathroom.

• Deluxe Room with 2 queen beds

Did not enjoy bringing my breakfast back to my room to eat, outside of facility needs upgrade, limited parking.

The Bed was soft, everything clean, shower pressure great, nice tv, and decor.

• King Room with Fireplace

No one would expect such a spacious and luxurious room from the outside. The feel and look are very much of a modern boutique hotel. Remarkably appointed. The front desk was lovely and gracious. The room fees are half of other locations that do not offer such a comfort. It is a short walking distance from downtown. Overall a wonderful experience. Will return.

There wasn't any side lamps near the bed, only very bright lamps on top of our heads... which made it hard to our usual reading before sleeping. Breakfast was just very disappointing.

The room was big and very comfortable. We really enjoyed the fire place in the room.

• King Room with Fireplace

Heat was not working in first room they put her soon. Neither was the fireplace. Second room, Fireplace was working, but not the heat. On our third day there, there was no maid service. Management didn’t seem to care about our comfort.

Modern clean bathroom

• King Room with Fireplace

Breakfast was ok but not very much choice.

Only 10 minute walk from Monterey town centre. Clean and good facilities. Staff helpful. Easy car parking. USB charging points.

Need a small table or a shelf in the shower portion of the bathroom. Also a full length mirror on the bathroom door would be helpful.

Our room was quiet. Plenty of space to spread out our "extra stuff" on the desktop area. Although we didn't need the fireplace it would have been a cozy treat.

• King Room with Fireplace

The fireplace didn't work correctly. We had to keep turning it off and on to finally get it to light. The heater also would give an error code. We reported the issue with the heater to the front desk, but I don't think anyone ever came to fix it. As we were checking out, the employee was friendly, but didn't inquire about our stay or ask to make sure everything was OK.

The room was clean and has plenty of room. The furniture is updated and comfy. The bed was not the most comfortable I have ever slept in, but it was still comfortable. I appreciated the mini fridge and microwave. There were plenty of towels. The shower was large and the rain shower showerhead was very nice. The staff was polite.

• King Room with Fireplace

Parking lot very tight ( good luck if you drive a large suv!). Also, no view at all. Open the curtains and all you can see is the parking lot, (from our room, anyway). And people out there could see right in. Breakfast was all packaged goods. Noisy, too - maids started quite early in the morning. Night desk clerk not particularly friendly and could not tell us where we might find anything after 10pm. Turns out there’s a 24 hour CVS in town! (Which the 7-11 directed us to!)

Nicely decorated! Once inside our room it seemed like a Hilton! Morning desk person (Jennifer) was friendly and very helpful.

• King Room with Fireplace

Poor breakfast, somewhat far from the city center (20+ minutes by foot)

Huge room and bathroom. Lots of space to store your luggage. The rooms look better than the pictures and the design is more modern than what the hotel looks like from the outside.

It's hard to say that I didn't like the location, being that it's right downtown. The views from the room wasn't anything special if I had to pick one thing I didn't like.

The Inn itself is unassuming from the outside, but the interior of the rooms are completely redone and very modern.

• Deluxe Room with 2 queen beds

limited breakfast and late room turn down.

The room was wonderful. Other than the traffic sounds, and bright outdoor lights, it was perfect! Awesome stay!

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Fireplace

I think the breakfast should be better.

It was a great surprise for me and my wife. The room was big, clean and the bathroom was excellent and different from what you are used to from another hotels. If I knew how good this hotel was, I would have stayed more days.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Fireplace

Location of the room was in a dark, dank hallway. Place was very noisy, doors always slamming.

It had a fireplace, and coffee in the morning, and continental breakfast was decent.

• King Room with Fireplace

Our Air conditioner did not work the entire stay. My boyfriend and I would wake up every night because it was so uncomfortable. The room was so hot it felt like a sauna. I told management and they brought me a fan. The fan did not work and it literally just blew hot air around. No one attempted to make accommodations for us. I would have appreciated if they said well Miss Jones we could take one night off or give you a night free. Instead I had to deal with sleeping in a hot room for 3 days and two nights. It was miserable and I probably never book this property again and I will not recommend it to my friends.

The room was very clean, parking was great and the location was perfect!

White pillows please changed

Very clean that people it's working hard to clean everywhere housekeeping excellent only the pillows we like to change for next vacations on room 37

• King Room with Fireplace

I loved how nice the rooms were for the price and the location is great! Just a little ways from downtown! It was nice that the bed sheets were also softer than the usual hotel sheets! Lighting was also good!

• King Room with Fireplace

Tiny parking spaces and small breakfast area.

Munras Inn is a very unassuming hotel from the exterior, but the room facilities are impressive for a hotel of this value. The rooms are spotless and appear recently renovated. They come equipped with a few bells and whistles: free WiFi, microwave, Keurig coffee machine, etc. Coffee is also available in the lobby throughout the day as well as a free light fare breakfast in the morning.

The lobby, parking lot, general area, was all kind of sketchy to me. Fairly old and run down property with newly remodeled rooms. The continental breakfast was bad.. had microwaveable sandwiches and burritos with no fresh items. Staff was not friendly.

The room itself was newly remodeled and very nice.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Fireplace

Breakfast with greater selection like yogurts would have been an improvements. Packaged danish and packaged cereals is fine but not as good as the level of room accommodations which I find superior. The do not have the room to have people eat so there is no chance of that improving.

Room very large. Beds super comfortable and pillows divine. Clean and accommodating staff. Really like this place as did my friends. They offer "Breakfast" BUT packaged oatmeal and dry cereal, oranges and apples is not my idea of breakfast. Need to take it to room. So definitely 5 stars for accommodation and 3 stars for breakfast.