Reviews of Howard Johnson by Wyndham Mystic 2 stars

253 Greenmanville Avenue , Mystic, CT 06355, USA

#11 of 15 hotels in Mystic

Loved it!

The staff was really friendly and very accommodating. We were able to use bikes provided by the property to get around town. Great time for families!

They didn't have breakfast, but that wouldn't stop me from staying there again as there is a Diner and a Friendly 's next door where you get 10% off with room key. McDonalds across the street.

Nice CLEAN large room brightly painted and inviting. COMFORTABLE queen beds. No dated hotel odors! And best of all your own balcony or patio with chairs to sit outside and enjoy.. Check- in Clerk Leanne was super friendly and helpful. Great skills in meeting and greeting and making people feel welcomed.Didn't use the pool but it also looked clean and bright. You can tell this motel is well maintained.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Price was a bit much for Mystic, especially with no breakfast included. We had to take the trash bag out of the barrel and the bottom of the barrel was disgusting. G=My daughter and me got attacked by a spider that was in the sheets, several bites.

Location to the shops and aquarium was perfect. Place was clean and the pool area was very nice. Front desk assistance very friendly

Ad says newly renovated rooms, it was really just a fresh coat of paint and a new rug. Ceiling grids were rusty in the bathroom. Shower faucet pulled all the way out of the wall. Very old hotel that needs just a little more tlc.

Staff were very nice

The rooms were very quiet. Although there were alot of guests, we never heard anyone. A very well built place. Very helpfull staff and the location across from Mystic Village and the Aquarium was PERFECT. They are both a must to visit. 3 great places to eat within 2 to 5 minute walk also. We Loved our stay there !

We book here every time we go to Mystic because we love the pool. The rooms are a generous size and we like having the microwave and refrigerator in the room. When we are on the bottom floor the children can go outside to play Safely. The location could not be better

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Reserved online - ID checked upon arrival - welcomed - easy - quick - helpful staff upon arrival - given a map of town and suggestions on where to go what to see and where to eat

On my first night,I attempted to lay in my king size bed and the sheets were giggled and worn. I called and got a flat sheet to lay on until the next morning.

I enjoyed the cleanliness and security of the hotel.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

When I checked in I was sent to a second floor room v far from check in desk. No elevator or assist w bags. When I opened the door the room was occupied! Had to drag my stuff back down stairs and then return to check in.? Second room was cleaner and on first floor.

The second room they gave me was v nice. Forgot toothpaste and they gave me some

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Not a big deal, but I did note that on each floor there was something broken. On the second floor, it was the vending machine, and on the first floor, it was the ice machine. Not really a big deal, but definitely something that should be fixed for those that have difficulty in mobility. Additionally, the price of the items in the vending machines... Ouch! 2 dollars for every item, regardless of what the item is. Not very nice at all. Neither vending machine gave out plain water either, kind of a bummer for those that like y'know, plain water.

I liked the overall design of the room, the ease of access to local attractions, etc. Staff were very nice and very friendly! I felt very invited. (Still sad I didn't get a drawing of a unicorn bear. Very sad.) The beds were pretty comfy, well made. Amenities of a microwave, safe, etc, were also nice. You get what you pay for here. I paid personally, about 89 dollars, so really, overall it ain't bad. I regret not bringing a swim suit, because the pool looked *Amazing*. Also, just to put it out there, I really liked the fish tank in the lobby. There's a fat little fish in there that I thought was just so cute.

the sliding door to go outside didn't open or close correctly made it very HARD to go outside for air, the bed pillows are way to soft .. maybe get a little firmer pillow. the pool had way too much chlorine was burning our eyes

the room was very clean and the staff was very nice :) love the location of the hotel so close to everything we wanted to do

The beds were a little stiff. Made it hard to get comfortable as the night went on.

The pool was clean and the water temperature was just right for walking into. The room was clean and spacious. I was impressed. It has been many years since I stayed and a lot of work has been done to improve it.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

It would have been nice if they had something to pick on by the coffee location.

The room was very very clean and the staff is excellent. Location is great too!

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

I asked for a room near the pool & they made sure I had a room near it. The staff was very nice. Even offered to help with my bags. Since I was carrying my daughter.

I cant think of anything we didn't like at this hotel. It more than met our expectations.

Room was comfortable, pool was a great size. Location was perfect for our trip.

No complaints except maybe more towels in pool area.

Very clean and comfortable, pool well maintained, staff very friendly and helpful. Beds were so comfy, didn't want to get out of bed lol.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The jetted tub was very old and didn’t drain well. We opted not to use it since we were there for one night. The pool was ok, there was tape wrapped around the ladders... everything was ok, just showing it’s age and need for updating. The walls were also very thin, our neighbors got back to their room (drunk?) around 230 am and were very loud.

The beds were comfortable and the room was clean

The bed wasn’t very soft and the blanket was super light. The front desk was nice enough to give me an extra blanket, but I should’ve asked for two.

A surprise little balcony with two chairs! Granted it was overlooking the parking lot, the Econolodge and the friendlys, but still nice to sit outside in the sun for awhile. The shower was hot and the front desk staff were just the sweetest people ever. Great location to walk to the village and go to the always lovely Steak Loft! Super quiet too

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

It was a convenient location for the activities that we were interested in. The kids had a great time at the pool. The room was spacious and clean and the jet tub was relaxing!

I wish there were more towels in the pool area.

The room was clean and comfortable, my daughter loved the pool and the location of the Howard Johnson was incredibly convenient. It’s close to the highway, is within walking distance of lots of shops, & restaurants and is right across the street from the Mystic Aquarium. The hotel is also attached to a diner that serves delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner. We’ll definitely be back!

The humming sound from the ref and the bathroom exhaust were annoying

Liked the size of the room and comfy beds Also liked the neighboring attractions very near the hotel

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

I was traveling with a three year old and a five year old. While my family slept, our neighbors came back to their room at midnight and proceeded to BLAST THEIR TV TIL 4:30 am waking everyone up and disturbing my family with other questionable noises coming from their room. At 4:00 am I called the front desk and asked them to resolve the issue. They asked which direction I thought the noise was coming from. I told them my left. They told me that room was unoccupied. Which was impossible considering how loud this was. And in the end it did turn out to be occupied, and it was the room I identified. The woman at the front desk said she would call them and even do a walk by. The noise didn't stop. I called again and told her to resolve it because I was going to cancel my reservation for the next night. In the morning they offered to cancel my reservation for the next night. The walls are paper thin and I could tell but the way the woman at the front desk reacted to me, offering up that the tenants could have been drunk or passed out that this Howard Johnsons was used to that caliber of a guest. Indecent and disruptive. No thank you! We left first thing in the morning. They did not do enough to resolve the issue.

The room was clean and the bathroom with the extra sink outside the bathroom was great. The beds were comfy.

We originally booked across the street at the Econo Lodge for about $40 less but the photos made the place look sketchy. When we saw the HoJo site, we switched figuring the extra money would be merited. However, when we got there, there is no included breakfast (only 10% off at restaurant) so that increases the cost. The TV in the room is smaller than it should be. The shower only has a massage head and low water pressure. The heater is very noisy. The bathroom is very small. The pool is nice but too small for the size of the hotel and there is not hot tub which many motels now have. The last kicker was the "free bikes" they advertise were unavailable. So while all the reviews talk about location, the hotel itself does not merit the cost they charge. If this hotel were the same cost as the Econo Lodge, it would b e an easier pill to swallow.

Location was great - right off 95 and two miles down the road from Mystic.

The fan in the bathroom was very noisy. It is an old school one, where the light and the fan is in the same switch. It did work but just noisy. Bathroom is small. But again, this is an old school property, so do not expect much. It is Clean and sufficient.

The diner next door was very good....... just walk next door, good variety of food with ABC bar. The property is right across the street from the Aquarium, and just mile from the Mystic Seaport. The renovated rooms were very comfortable .... water pressure is low but sufficient. Inside pool area was clean (small) but nice to have one. Parking is a little small, the back parking lot is Dark, and could use more lighting. (enough parking but always crowed) Staff was very friendly.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Maid service was inconsistent. We asked for extra towels. Didn’t get them. May have been a language barrier.

Indoor pool was great, and diner next door was very convenient.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Only came once to clean room in five days and door to porch couldn’t close tightly, so noise and bugs came in! Also no brochure rack with local attractions!

Location and pool/exercise room. Whirlpool tub (but very worn!). Diner next door.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The non smoking room smelled like stale cigarettes. I had to go out and purchase allergy medicine to sleep. Also the sound from 95 out the back door was very disturbing.

The pool was clean.

3/29-3/31/18~The staff was wonderful. We had an issue with partying guests staying in the room above us at 3am. I made one phone call to the front desk and it was taken care of immediately. The next morning, they apologize on behalf of those guests and offered to move our room to not have another issue. I was very pleased with their handling of everything! They are within walking distance to a few restaurants which is handy when traveling with young kids. They hate getting back in the car. Mystic seaport and the aquarium are a 5 min. car ride away. Also, the pool area was nicely kept and fresh towels were replenished often. I would definitely stay at Howard Johnson at Mystic again.

• Queen Suite - Non-Smoking

More parking - parking lot was full so we had to park at the hotel next door Better pool hours - 9am is a little late for the pool to be opening if check out is at 12. Can only stay in the pool a max of 2 hours Balcony - when purchasing, i did not have option to chose if i wanted a room with a balcony View - there was one window in our room and all you could see out of it was a brick wall Room - our closet doors were both broken, the room has bad lighting and is still dim even when all the lights are on. Not enough toiletries for the amount of people staying in the room.

The beds are really comfortable and the room was spacious

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Room was clean, but shower curtain smelled sour. Room also had a stale cigarette smell, common to older hotels which allowed smoking "way back when." Neither issue ruined the experience for us, though.

The indoor pool was great, and there was a jacuzzi tub in our private bathroom! Our room was clean and spacious, and also had a balcony. Kids enjoyed the fresh cookies in the lobby; hubby and I enjoyed coffee & tea available 24 hours a day. The location is very central to the Olde Mystick Village and the Mystic Aquarium.

The staff was unforgettable NEVER in my life have I ever been mistreated nor verbally harrassed by the staff starting with front desk employee Tammy an the hotel manager whom I cant believe was given the position to operate the building for such a big franchise could be so angry,very snappy,unfriendly,rude an Uncontrollably yet Suprisingly aggressive once I over stayed my 12pm check-out time by 15-21min due to the unexpected snow storm weather advisory causing early school dismissal Leaving me no choice but to pick up my child alittle before check out even after I placed an apologetic courtesy call notifying front desk of issue an told that my daughter is in the room meantime packing up didnt expect for them to begin to call her followed by knocking on door an began to tell my 12yr old child "You have to get out now do I have to open up this door myself an put yall out myself??" Once i was informed an then asked to speak to manager I was cut short with" im very sorry it my fault i told front desk to behave that way"once I asked for owners contact info she began to giv me info but then stopped an refused to give saying"owner is not going to answer my calls an will not have the time to respond"so why dont i just leav my info but when I refused and asked nicely that i prefer the info manager then snapped became very angry then aggressively snatched pen out my hands an began to write with pen being pissed off an rude I couldnt believe my eyes....smh never have I experienced this an I stayed at many hotels an by far has it never even came close to this kind of treatement no matter what concouqured....To bad its such a nice set up but full of the wrong kinda staff working

The rooms and pool were great.

the lighting was awkward. It took a few seconds to turn on in the bathroom and the lighting options in the room as a whole were limited, and very dim when turned on.

The bed was very comfortable and the shower water was perfectly hot! The dinner next door was delicious and had pretty quick service. Nice to have a discount on your meal if you show your room key.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Would've been nice to add more towel bars/hooks in the bathroom. And hangers.

Cleanliness and great staff and nice warm pool for the cold months.

N/a

Staff super friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating as soon I walked in. The room itself exceeded my expectations. Clean linens, modern furniture, plenty of toiletries, jacuzzi bathtub, and a cool and comfortable environment. The interior far exceeds the looks of the exterior, so don't be too quick to judge. The best part of my stay was the price, under $100 for 1 night, free parking, complimentary discounts at local facilities and the location is 10 mins away from Foxwoods!!! This is a hidden gem and I will definitely book here again in the future.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

the tv could have been alittle bigger.

I was very happy with the pool. water was warm and clean! would go back there again just for the fun granddaughter had in the pool. The rooms were also very clean.

The roof above the pool was leaking. Drops from the ceiling consistantly fell in the water. It made me feel uncomfortable.

I liked the proximity to Mystic Villiage and starbuck and MacDonalds

Room was partially renovated. Poorly cleaned. Had to go over room with wipes. There was food and dirt and old grass on floor from previous occupants.

Front desk was friendly

• Queen Suite - Non-Smoking

There were some stains in the bathroom on the walls and floor (and some on the carpet in the room) that appeared to be blood - maybe could have been rust? Otherwise the room was very clean.

The room was surprisingly large.

The staff was friendly, helpful and accomodating. The kids had a great time swimming in the heated indoor pool. The room was very clean and comfortable.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

I really dont have antthing bad to say other than the motel next door. But that is out of your control.

I always stay here when i take a trip to mystic. It is in a good location. Love the dinner next door. Plus mystic villiage is across the street. The steak loft is a really good place. Evrything is in walking distance. Always friendly staff. The room are nice size.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Taste of coffee in a lobby

Room was clean and large, a Jacuzzi was a nice surprise. There was no windows in a room, but for one night it was not a problem! Mattress on a bed was comfortable and quiet 😉

Nothing that I can think of.

Pre-paid, so no check out other than to leave the key. Arrived after 8:00pm and there cookies in the lobby for the kids and coffee and tea for adults. Nice aquarium in the lobby. Hallways were quiet, easy access to parking lot. For me, showers never have enough pressure in hotels, this one did! And there was a no slip non-removable pad or something in the shower and on the ledge of the bathtub. Towels were soft, pillows were plenty and soft. There was an extra blanket in the room, though we didn't need it. Just a really great, comfortable stay.

did not have really good wifi connection other then that it was a great stay very clean excellent price and location. recommended to my family and friends

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

no welcome packet, to say when checkout was or attractions or menus from around the area. Porch door was very squeaky.

Loved the decor and blue wallpaper. Loved the jacuzzi tub. The two sinks and private porch

The hotel and staff are amazing. Perfect location and comfortable and clean room. Pool was a joy to use. Remarkably clean property and exceptional affordability.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Room smelled strongly of smoke despite being a non-smoking room. Because I had a dog my patio opened out to the area behind the hotel where dogs can be walked. It was right up against the interstate with a woodsy area that was full of trash. It seemed clear that homeless people probably hung out in that area. I was afraid to take my dog out after dark. There was a strange circular hole in my ceiling which I plugged up with a washcloth just in case. There were also areas of the ceiling crumbling. My room was at the end of the building so I could hear staff in an out of the closet at times cursing loudly. It also appeared that the staff propped open the door out to the parking lot on the backside of the hotel where they clearly sat and smoked regularly. I immediately pulled the rug out of the door to close and lock the door because leaving a door at the backside of the hotel wide open for anyone to walk in is clearly unsafe.

The lady who checked me in was extremely accommodating, friendly, and helpful. She is a huge asset to that hotel. Excellent location within walking distance of restaurants and old Mystic Village.

I really wanted to use the jacuzzi tub but after filling it up about 8 inches the water went cold. No more hot water to fill it

The extremely comfortable bed with lots of pillows and it had a good amount of room so you arnt on top of each other

Would have liked it if they serve breakfast in the morning!

Gave you 10% off your food order While staying there at the diner next door and Friendly's across the way

This hotel was not worth the money that I paid. It’s actually worth under a $100 per night. Very limited parking especially during bad weather. No complimentary breakfast or vending machine. It did allow smoking outside of the hotel but the smoking still found its way in the building. I will not stay at this hotel again.

It was clean & staff was friendly. Very easy to locate

• Queen Suite - Non-Smoking

Newly renovated, very courteous staff. Great value for the money. We inadvertently left my son's blanket in the room and the staff went out of their way to track it down.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The beds were awful, the pool chlorine was so strong that it reacted to my daughter skin and she swims so she I saw in chlorine or public pools all the time and that has never happened. We informed the front desk and the only thing we got was we will tell the manager. We checked out on wed and we still have not even gotten as much as an email from the manager. We would not stay at this again I mean the price was good but that was about it.

The shower. The shower head dripped and didn't have much pressure. Because of the drip during the shower, a bunch of water ended up on the bathroom floor. We had to be really cautious with the shower curtain because of this

The bed was super comfy, the room was clean. Even though we didn't end up using them, I liked that there was a mini fridge, microwave and safe in the room.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The pool was rather cool. It would have been nice if it was warmer.

Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. Called down for extra pillows and blanket and they arrived in just a few minutes.

The heating system was rather noisy. Facilities were a little run down but everything works.

Generally comfortable. Great location just opposite the old Mystic village and the aquarium. Nice selection of dining options - in-house diner offers 10% discount to hotel guests.

• Queen Suite - Non-Smoking

Garbage in our room when we arrived. No housekeeping on second day. Broken ice bucket. Insufficient & loud ventilation in bathroom. 4th person we complained to finally gave us a credit but overall it was a bad experience for my wife’s Birthday weekend.

Comfy beds. Short drive to aquarium, mystic seaport, village, etc. Good price.

Very nice property. Was impressed with the breakfast, also the breakfast area was nice and roomy, not small and cramped like some hotels I've stayed at.

Water pressure, water temp. Lack of free breakfast is abnormal nowadays but the Mystic Diner attached to the Inn is really wonderful and makes up for it.

The property itself doesn't look like much from the outside but the room was very nice and the staff is wonderful. Big bed, clean linens, basic toiletries with an option for more - the normal expected amenities nowadays. Wish the towels were bigger and they offered more. The bathroom itself is fine except for the water. Pressure is off in the sink and the temperature is tricky. Children, even older children, should not be left to adjust the spicket. Otherwise, it was a great little HoJo.

Rooms were a little bit dated but nothing terrible

The beds were super comfortable, the location was perfect, the indoor pool was well maintained and the kids loved it and the nearby food is delicious!

Noise from the highway. The rooms could be better "sound proofed".

Check-in was quick and easy, cookies upon arrival. Easy access to our room from the parking lot. The diner was just a short walk around the building.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was very large and comfortable. The extra large tub was wonderful! The place was clean and updated. Looking at the outside it was bland but the room totally delivered!

should have a continental breakfast/fruit/pastries/juice

, easy to get to/parking/check-in-out was simple/room was clean. close to casinos

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Great little hotel, very clean refurbed rooms, spacious rooms with comfortable and very clean beds, also had a jacuzzi in the room. Great swimming pool which we used. Free cookies every afternoon, very close to Old Mistick Vilage, couple of eating places immediately outside and great position for visiting Mystic which is lovely. Great friendly helpful staff Superb value and would stay again

Room was next to a highway. Poor view of dumpsters and the back of a kitchen. Room was dirty and decrepit. Plus the king size room I booked was not available and the hotel did not have other rooms available. Horrible!!!!!

• Queen Suite - Non-Smoking

Beds were comfortable, but pillows too soft. Shower drain was lousy and rust stain on the sill. Fan and all lights in the bathroom all the same switch. The flush for the toilet was one like in a public restroom. The room needs to be updated, paint chipped in a few areas. The pool was on the colder side, had water overflow and need bigger pool towels. For the weekend price we thought it was not worth it.

We liked the room size, it was nice to have a desk and a sitting area. Lenore at the front desk and and the staff were really great. Liked the 24 hour coffee and cookies in the afternoon. It was nice to get 10% off the diner next door for any meals.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Hall ways were too hot. Vending machines only took credit cards. Room could use a thorough cleaning. Jacuzzi control out side of bathroom not convenient.

Jacuzzi tub. Nice TV. Two sinks. Safe in room. Well lighted bathroom. Plenty of pillows. Temperature control worked very well. Lots of USB outlets for charging our devices.

Breakfast option included would be nice. Diner next door offers 10% off to guests.

Bed comfortable, pricing good, not too far from town. Easy to walk down to Mystic maritime museum (pricey entrance fee but worth the visit and a lot to see) and aquarium. Free coffee at reception and if you’re lucky a nice cookie!

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Bright lights outside of bedroom made it impossible to sleep. Dirty jacuzzi took up most if bathroom making it difficult to move around. Doors didn't fit door frames making them difficult to close (both main door and bathroom door)

Very nice hotel for the money. nice area outside each room with chair to sit and relax. Close to all attractions. 10% off the diner next door. comfortable bed. coffee and tea in the lobby at all times!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

No maid service. We saw maid service but never did our room. Towels + garbage were piling up. Front desk was very apologetic at check out + said it would never happen again.

Location was great. Staff was friendly, Love the pool( very relaxing)

As I said above only 1 chair or beds for seating. Air conditioning worked well but was pretty noisy when it was running.

Very comfortable bed. Close to a lot of sights we were there to see. Really needed more than one chair in the room. Close to two very good family resturants.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

There was only one seat in the room, which is a pity since it's for two people.

Very comfortable beds in a well-equipped and very clean room with fridge, microwave, iron, coffee machine and a safe. Free wifi.

Nice and big room. The bed was very comfortable. Machine to prepare coffee/tea inside the room as well as a fridge and a microwave. We had a very nice breakfast at the diner next to Howard Johnson, where you get 10% off. Only 10 min walk from Mystic Seaport, 5 min by car to downtown.

There was a dehumidifier in my room that was so loud. It also filled up at 2am and started to beep! There was a musty smell too. If it was bad enough for them to put a dehumidifier in the room, maybe they shouldn't put a guest in the room.

The staff was really nice. The pillows were nice. The room was a good size.

We never go on vacation, and this was our last outing with our 27 month old before our son was born. We had high hopes for our little trip, and didn't think worrying about taking a bath/shower would be on the list of things we wouldn't be able to do. So when my daughter and I went to start the shower and the whole faucet handle fell off, we weren't impressed. It was late, and the maintenance guy was very accommodating coming back to try to fix it, however, ended up being infixable without extra help and parts. Needless to say, we were unable to bath, and checked out first thing in the morning. My husband and I would have thought that part of cleaning each room would include cleaning the shower, or washing it down. To do so, we assumed you would have to turn he water on, therefore thinking the shower wasn't actually cleaned or checked before the next customers (us) occupied the room. We were extremely disappointed and our sticky little ice cream daughter didn't get a bath, neither did 34 week pregnant mommy. They told us we were unable to switch rooms because they were sold out, however did take 20% off our stay. This was generous, but in future stays, we will be looking elsewhere for booking hotels. We expect our trips to have hitches, just not things not working in our room.

The staff checking in was wonderful. She was friendly and provided us with a local map and helpful tips on dining out locations, and when and where we could save money for discounts.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Bathtub dated and looked dirty... door handles looked like they were not cleaned well. Also- could hear everything in our neighbors room, And conversation.

Overall for 2 nights, room was good, pool was great for kids and overall experience was positive.

Browse Howard Johnson by Wyndham Mystic traveller photo gallery