Reviews of NU Hotel 4 stars

85 Smith Street, Boerum Hill, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA

#11 of 65 hotels in Brooklyn

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Attention to detail. Great service. Great location. Lovely breakfast provided. Has a problem with someone smoking in a room. It was attended to immediately. Awesome hotel.

• Queen Room - Disability Access

I would have liked to have stayed longer!I wanted to take advantage of the cute orange bicycles that were available for no charge, but my time constraints did not accommodate that.......next time, There were no things that I felt were a disappointment, it was all great!

The room was very clean, the bed comfy and the staff were very helpful, one staff member even gave me her metro pass that had money left on it, because I was in a hurry to get to an appointment. The selections for breakfast were healthy and satisfying. I would go back there in a heartbeat!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Sparse amenities in room; have to ask for them. Thin towels. Breakfast was ample (cold meats, fruit, cereal, juices, etc.) but ingredients were very plain--breads, yogurts, etc. No style at all. The manager should try breakfast in an Italian hotel some time. No discount for parking garage.

Very quiet considering the location. Convenience to parking garage. Convenience to public transport.

• Queen Room

We agree a price and they charged 250 plus in my credit card, i steel wait by the refund

• Queen Room

I love the NU Hotel. Good location for Downtown Brooklyn. Smith Street is one of the best streets in Brooklyn. Staff are always lovely. The NU is very comfortable. Small lobby but nice size rooms.

• Queen Room

It was in a great location right next to anything you might need. There was one gentleman that checked me in that was very nice and helpful. The bed was super comfy and it felt like home. I will definitely stay here again!

• Queen Room

The food was cold, milk was hot, orange juice was hot, the breakfast could have been MUCH MORE BETTER. The beds are REALLY low( was not expecting it to be so low).

The room & bathroom was clean.

No complaints....

The hotel is in a good location in terms of getting to the different restaurants and stores. I stayed here to attend a basketball game at the Barclays. It’s a 17 min walk. I chose to Uber, which is better being that it was the evening time. During the day I did walk to the Brooklyn Bridge which was a good 20 minutes away. It was a nice walk. The staff is very nice. I got back to the hotel around 3 Am and coffee was freshly made and the chocolate chip cookies went perfect. The bed was very comfy and I felt like it was a mini apartment.

• Queen Room

Everyone was so nice, great amenities, beds were so comfy and clean. Breakfast was delicious, and loved the complimentary coffee, tea, and cookies! Awesome decor!

noise from the street

I like the staff, casual but always a receptionist available. 24 hour coffee and tea with a solid breakfast included. COOKIES!!!

Breakfast very basic and in lobby area, depending on time seating was an issue. Room heater/cooler was very noisy turning on and off at night. Little bit of street noise on occasion.

Close to subway and lots a nice little places for food.

The mattresses were just OK.

Check in was fast and easy. The rooms had everything you would find in upscale hotels- coffee and mini bar. Lots of counter space in the bathroom. Nice towels and robes!.

• Queen Room

No help at door with bags.decor needs sprucing up. But not major issues.

Spacious room. Great wifi most of time. Reasonable gym not busy but no real pilates equipment.no foam rollers.

The only thing that was not perfect was some out-of-service equipment in the on-site gym. But the gym was a plus, so not at all a deal-breaker.

Great location close to train stations and food options. Beautiful design and art throughout. Cozy room with a comfy bed.

Nothing in particular, but pricey, even for NYC.

The design of the Hotel is just great and the location is almost perfect. Breakfast was very good. Complimentary coffee throughout the day.

The lobby is small.

I loved the room, very clean and the hardwood floors made it wonderful. No wondering what might live in the carpet. Loved the bathroom products and the fact they are large sizes - no waste. Overall great design. Breakfast was great. Parking next door is very convenient.

No parking lot, $30 for 12 hours. They have to check rooms well, I felt that they have bed bugs, wherever I go I will feel if it’s bed bugs

Everything was beautiful

• Queen Room

Kind of annoying to have to pay for a charger...should be standard issue.

The l'occitane amenities were wonderful. The extra fluffy pillows were divine.

• Queen Room

I can't say, simply because I did not say here as of yet, I will say at the Hotel very soon, i am due back a credit, as booking dot.com, accidently booking me into 2 different hotels all within the the very same evening, looking forward to my stay, I'm more then positive, it shall a be 5 star review, as I've heard it through many people that the Hotel is indeed awesome. I shall not offer I real review until I officially stay there personally.

NOTHING

I grew up in Bklyn so I’m biased but this hotel is beautiful! 2nd time & I enjoyed it very much, the chalkboard wall in the bathroom always makes me happy. Everything was clean & no matter where you are in the hotel it always smells great!! Breakfast was good, staff was nice. Overall great stay!

That the bottled water wasn't free.

Lovely large comfortable bed. Spacious rooms with everything you would need to relax on a freezing cold Brooklyn day. Robes, mini bar, free tea and coffee.

The only thing I really didn't like was the time it took to check in and out. I got there in the middle of the night and was the only there and it took about 20 minutes to check in. Granted there was a problem with my credit card, but I still felt the time took too long. Also at check out I asked for a receipt and again it took way to long, with the staff needing to get help to get me a receipt. Also warm items during breakfast would have been nice.

Really nice hotel with comfortable beds. I enjoyed my room and wished I could have stayed longer.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

found lot of dust under one bed

rooms are spacious and modern, the location is great, close to subways and to BoCoCa, a very charming neighborhood in Brooklyn

• Queen Room

The breakfast could have had more variation. Five days in a row it doesn´t feel that inviting to eat the same (frosen) bagels. Would suggest to change the placing of recycling with the returning of dirty dishes. The explanation of what should be thrown where could be more precise.

The room was nice and clean, nice quiet surroundings, easy access to public communication. The interior deco was inviting and nice.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The only negative is that the heater in the room was quite loud every time it turned on.

I loved the modern feel of NU. The room felt very Scandinavian to me - which I loved. The shower was huge and very nice, beds were comfy. Parking garage was right next door.

Temperature in the rooms was a little hot And it was easy to hear conversations out in the hallway from the room

Super clean and comfortable will definitely stay here again

• Queen Room

Room window gave over an airconditioning mega unit. Room was dark and pillows smelled of heavy use. They changed them and offered a different room but that one gave on a main road and windows barely isolated the exterior noise. Coffee, a hotel of this price can afford a proper espresso machine.

Staff were friendly and did their best to help. Rooms were nicely decorated.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I love this hotel. I stayed here last month, not knowing what to expect. The rooms are big (we had a double room with 2 beds), super clean, and the beds are really comfortable. Keurig coffee machine in the room appreciated! Mini fridge fit a pizza that we didn't finish (and didn't end up finishing). The bathroom is well laid out, spacious, and the toiletries are from L'Occitane, which was really nice! I loved the reception and breakfast lounging area. It was casual, comfortable and elegant at the same time. Breakfast was regular continental: coffee, juices, muffins, bagels, cheese and cold cuts, cereal and milk, yogurt and jams. The staff were genuinely warm, helpful, and no fuss about anything. I love the attitude and vibes. Thanks guys! The location is at the intersection of many areas which is really convenient. Will definitely stay here again and recommend to anyone who needs to stay in Brooklyn.

• Queen Room

2.details could be improved - wifi speed in fitness room - real orange juice for breakfast with a machine. I know it is a free breakfast, but 5$ for a large one worth it.

Welcome. Clean. Good wifi. Fitnees room. Free breakfast and good at the same time. Location. Quiet. Confortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

window blinds did not work very well, could have used better lighting in the room

staff was friendly, room was fairly large, bed was very comfy, it was quiet, it was very conveniently located for my purposes, breakfast was simple but good quality, bathroom was clean/nice

I got no response when i asked for a late check out (i asked thrice). Also, a better breakfast menu won't hurt.

The room was large and the location was perfect. You could walk to shops in all directions! if you like shopping, this hotel is perfect for you.

• Queen Room

Didn’t expect to be directly opposite the Dept of Corrections entrance, watching ‘customers’ being delivered each morning !

Enjoyed open access to tea and cookies in the lounge.

all the bedding is tired, and needs replacing...mattress, pillows sheets etc. It's also time to re do the bathrooms, mold in shower, poor lighting...

Location and breakfast included

Staff was not aware that computer downstairs was broken Porter was not offered to me despite arriving with a mountain of uncarryable bags and a wedding dress Porter was not available and other staff member filled in, taking me to the wrong room. After that this staff member left me hanging without my card while he went to assist other guests. Hotel did inform me ahead of time that roads leading to parking nearby would be closed due to the Atlantic Antic street festival No hot water kettle available in rooms Breakfast items are not restocked - so, either go early or lose out Staff uses outdated, slow Windows computer which take forever to load. It tools a few minutes just to print a document for me Banging on floor above us in the middle of the night Beds are too soft and uncomfortable Air conditioning is very poor and does not work if curtains are closed Fan speed cannot be adjusted for air conditioner Rooms are very over priced given the poor service and mediocre amenities

Rooms were nicely decorated and the mini bar was well stocked. Breakfast items were tasty and unprocessed.

The lobby is quite small; the area to eat for breakfast is right there where you check in, it's all rather cramped. There was tables outside to sit but the space isn't monitored and there were homeless people sitting there ALL day and night. I was staying only one night after having driven a few hours to see the legend, Stephen King!!!! The staff were poking fun at my length of stay and my drive compared to my stay: "in and out, huh?" The staff were a little snarky.

One of the walls in our bathroom was a chalk board! We had fun doodling with chalk provided! The bed was super comfortable. The decor was cute! I fell in love with the wallpaper! The elevator was always right there when you clicked for it.

• Queen Room

The parking ! I couldn’t drive my car without paying a $30.00 dollar few to drive it. To me you should be able to drive your car especially if your visiting the area or vacationing.

The staff was really nice to me and my needs !

Wouldn't have minded some hot items at breakfast, but all in all, breakfast was OK, and they started serving at 6 a.m., which was also great.

Really clean and comfortable, and the room and bathroom were actually roomy -- not usually the case in NYC hotels! I actually liked being in the room. Staff were helpful, bed was comfortable. And there was an iron and ironing board!

Bathroom could have been cleaner - some one had used the Chalk board eraser in the bath and this left a lot of "dirt" that did not wash down with the slow moving drain. Did use the chalk board to ask for this to be cleaned tho!!

Location in Brooklyn

• Queen Room

No drinks were given inside the minibar (sodas) which i was told would have been there!

The privacy and how professional and friendly the staff and employees were.

• Queen Room

You really cannot use the very heavy comforter on the beds of hotels these days, especially in the summer Please provide a lightweight blanket

warm chocolate chip cookies were amazing! love the extra touches in the room breakfast included was great parking garage right next to the hotel was very reasonable for NY

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The lobby was warm. Should have been cool since it was so hot outside. I would have liked better housekeeping. I felt that bedroom floor needed mopping. ( vinyl floor)

The breakfast buffet was very nice and fresh!

• Queen Room

Really noisy air conditioning / extractors in the yard. Staff not very friendly. Breakfast lounge area too crowded and not very practical for breakfast.

Comfortable room. A little quirky and cool.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

When I gave them my credit card to place a hold on the total amount because of any damages, I was very specific that I wanted to pay in CASH. I spoke with three different receptionists who ASSURED me not to worry, even the night prior to me leaving I spoke to a girl who seemed very nice but not very bright, and what do you know they did charge my canadian credit card for the full amount adding international fees to the absurd $300+ of taxes (Taxes are not the hotel's fault). It is very unprofessional and deceptive to not listen to the customer to the point where you're adding charges to his bill. I wouldn't care if I had been careless enough not to tell the hotel staff about it because it would be my fault, but when you get three different confirmations you're allegedly reassured. The only apologetic member of the staff was Carlos who was by the way has excellent customer manners. Room cleaning wasn't very good either, some days the sheets were not replaced and tucked in a rush, you could feel the carelesness.

It was very convenient even though you see a lot of shady people walking on smith street, but past atlantic avenue is actually a very nice little neighborhood with plenty of shops and restaurants. In house breakfast was also very good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel didn't offer free parking or a conventioned parking in the car park next door. We had to pay $38 per day.

The breakfast was nice but they only offered cereal for children and not adults.

• Queen Room

Housekeeping could do a better job refreshing and cleaning each room. Must clean the floors thoroughly

Great location and awesome friendly staff with easy check in and check out. Very Accommodating front desk! Boutique and funky decor. In a charming Brooklyn neighborhood close to great selection of cafes and restaurants. Close to Brooklyn promenade and you can walk to the Brooklyn Bridge! Good in room coffee!

Very limited and unchanging breakfast. Very little place to sit down (breakfast, reception, lobby are .all the same small area). Bar (same space) was not operating during the weekend. Very noisy aircon - even when turned off if gave a loud hum.

Do need to be careful of neighborhood at night (but it's NYC). And staff called us at night on my cell phone about pizza when we didn't order any. Pizza delivery knocked on our door then walked away after realized wrong room.

Location is perfect when visiting Brooklyn. The staff was very friendly. The room was very nice in space and layout.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel was great! The staff were excellent! The location was great! Many shops and restaurants nearby. Our family had a great stay and will return soon!

• Queen Room

Great location. Smith St. was full of restaurants, bars, and boutiques. We enjoyed ending our NYC days back in Brooklyn getting tea or coffee and something from Mia's Bakery or Van Leeuwen's Artisan Ice Cream. Because the hotel isn't large, it was very easy to get in and out of our room throughout the day. It's also ideally located for easy access to a few different subway lines (north to Hoyt/Schermerhorn for 2,3,A,C,G or south to Bergen St for F,G).

• Queen Room

Very friendly front desk staff helped us figure out our next leg of travel. And the friends and family room with the chalkboard in the bathroom and twin bunk beds was a lot of fun. The space is tidy and not wasteful for sure...but felt spacious because it was so efficient.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I missed having a tub in the bath, because we did a great amount of walking and I wanted to soak.

Very convenient! The front desk staff was very helpful when the booking I made thru the bookings.com website did not appear.

• Queen Room

I wish the lobby was air conditioned!

I've stayed here several times and return because the rooms are clean and quiet. Staff is friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Queen Room

The property seems to have been recently renovated, but the finish is quite poor in places, which gives it a feeling of grubbiness, although the cleaning staff actually kept it reasonably clean. The air conditioner in the room was excessively noisy, to the extent that it was impossible for me to leave it on overnight, which compromised my sleep in the humid conditions. Some people might be put off by the location, which is directly opposite a large detention centre, although the 24-hour police presence (literally outside the front door) probably makes it one of the safest places in the city.

The complimentary breakfast was excellent: high quality healthy food and good variety. The gym was very well equipped: three treadmills, two exercise bikes, full set of dumbells to 50lbs, two benches, leg machine, general upper body machine, heavy weight bag (with gloves), speedball, medicine balls. The room was spacious. The staff were polite, attentive, friendly, and genuinely helpful.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Loud "thumping" noises from time to time and goes on for the whole evening (not sure if it was the elevator shaft or was it a plumbing issue from above. We stayed at 2nd floor near the elevator, could be just our room. Fortunately I brought ear plugs but even with ear plugs you can still hear it...), noisy AC unit, poor noise proofing, no basic amenities (no tooth brushes, slippers etc)

Rooms are clean, location was reasonably close to subway, price is decent value

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

I was very disappointed with the housekeeping. The room was not cleaned properly, sideboard and table dusty, the floor was cleaned about every 4th day. I had to ask for body lotion which in previous stays was offered. Nothing was replaced, I had to ask for toilet paper, kleenex, soap. On two days the room was not made up by 6 pm, the garbage pails in the room were not emptied. The hotel mini bar provides bottles of wine, but contrary to previous stays, there were no wine glasses. The NUHotel belongs to a group of Independent Hotels and I used to receive bonus points with every stay. Since I was there for 16 nights I was looking forward to a sizable increase in my points balance. However, I was told that because I booked with Booking.com the points were forfeited.

I have stayed at the property several times before and was always very pleased with the service and the fact that I am accommodated in my favorite room. I also enjoy the breakfast which is included in the price.

• Queen Room

Glass shower doors are beautiful but so much water spilled out of the shower and onto the floor and caused me to slip but not fall - thankfully.

Have stayed at this hotel before. Love the rooms size. Location is great due to close transit.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Queen Room

Rooms were super quiet and well appointed. Had to switch rooms because of a non-functioning toilet, but staff was super accommodating, sent maintenance to the room in less than 5 minutes, determined it needed more than a little fix, and had me in a new room right away. They even helped me move my luggage.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hotel would not accept my AARP card even though Booking.com did not offer a discount on my room Not enough bright light in the room to apply my maker-up. Continental breakfast was so-so. Fir $470/night I expected more fresh pastries, fruit, choice of juices.

The beds were comfortable.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Queen Room

The floors of our room were pretty dirty and I wish our keys didn't try locking us out a full 2 hours before we were set to check out, but really those are my only complaints

Loved the value of the room size/breakfast/cute bar setup in the evening versus the cost. Bed was extremely comfortable and I loved the focus on art, complimentary Keurig, and other, less tangible touches. Staff (especially Donald at the front desk) was amazing! They'd have me coming back in a heartbeat.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Really nice hotel with very friendly helpful staff. Room was clean, a good size and nicely furnished. Bathroom was big and nice to have a separate room to the shower and toilet. Loved the chalk board in bathroom - nice touch! Great to have the breakfast buffet to get us going in the morning, would have been nice to have some cheese and cold meats maybe. Easy to reach by public transport from Airport at around $8 each on AirTrain and Metro to Hoyt Schermerhorn, then just a short walk easily done with wheeled suitcases. This Hotel is located near many Metro stations which will get you to various parts of NYC. We enjoyed living outside Manhattan and travelling around as it gave us a better fell for the city.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Not being able to use air conditionning the night of our arrival because of transition from winter heating to summer a/c. We were offered a rebate for compensation.

Service, cleanliness, location.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

• Queen Room

Cereal choice at breakfast was very limited, would like some healthy grains or granola.

The manager was extremely kind and accommodating regarding a problem we had with our room. Friendly staff, and excellent location in Brooklyn close to public transport.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Queen Room

Soundproofing would be nice. I was able to hear a couple having sex in the hallway and the noise continued 3 doors down to my room. Additionally, the water pressure in the room was slightly low causing a lackluster hot shower.

I loved the complimentary continental breakfast and the cookies and tea available throughout the day. The selection and quality of the food was superb. The room was spacious, the bed and pillows were quite comfortable, and the heat and ac worked well. I hate being either too hot or cold in my room but the climate control worked perfectly.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

there was so much atmospheric noise at all hours of the day/night. Doorbell ringing and other clanks and loud bangs that made it hard to fall asleep. Staff seemed busy and stressed out and the layout of the lobby is a terrible use of space!

Great big rooms and bathroom!!!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Service and facility's a bit light on!

It was a good breakfast and the hotel was pleasant in a good location but there was no bar or restaurant to speak of! It is nice to have these facility's in the hotel where you are staying.

• Queen Room

No desk lamp on desk in room.

Location in heart of Brooklyn is fantastic. Lots of good food and shopping nearby and great, easy access to public transportation. Small, but decently equipped workout room. Basic continental breakfast offering, highlighted by locally baked bagels.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

It's in a great spot in Brooklyn...within walking distance to a lot and close to trains into Manhattan. Each room is designed by a local artist. They're hip but not hipster, huge rooms, super clean property, delightful staff, and they have a great breakfast! There is a parking lot right next door but after 6 we found free parking on the street right in back of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Noise between the rooms was a little uncomfortable at times.

Accommodations were clean. Staff was helpful and responsive to needs. Breakfast was great. Close access to trains.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

• Queen Room

The entire stay is a pleasure, the room was a bit smaller than the one we had stayed last time but it was fine. Rooms is always clean and very comfortable. Complimentary breakfast is the best I've had at any place I've stayed. Lots of fresh options. Gym is great, no one seems to use it.

• Queen Room

This is picky: HVAC unit was a little noisy and cycled on and off frequently, and the bed was a little low for our aging bodies.

I really like the Nu Hotel. The location is great-- convenient neighborhood with lots of stores, restaurants and an easy subway ride to anything in NY. The well-designed decor is modern, clean, spacious. Even though our room was on the 2nd floor overlooking busy Atlantic Ave., triple glazed windows kept it fairly quiet. Breakfast was not fancy but had healthy chioces, with plain yoghurt, fresh fruit and hard-boiled eggs.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Very good for the price there was just a piece of glass on the floor that my husband stepped on Other than it was very good The breakfast was beautiful

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Queen Room

Hotel ignored three requests for a room on the quieter side of the building. Room too warm and thermostat wasn't functional.

Comfortable, well-located spot with a hipster vibe. Rooms are fairly spacious. Included breakfast is nice, if a bit crowded.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Queen Room

Hmmm, Nit picking now. This is a designers observation...The breakfast set up looked great but it would help to give the Toaster a better location. Just a suggestion since you asked. Still enjoyed breakfast.

Casual, friendly, stylish, easy, small. Breakfast included. Good coffee. I stayed here by myself for 4 nights and loved the warm, friendly feeling of the hotel. Morning breakfast was generous and saved lots of time. Also, the garage right next door was a big plus. The interior is Brooklyn style, creative, a little wild but fun, well done. Clean! Great little find. At night, the breakfast area becomes a bar!

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

• Queen Room

The toilette was a bit cold.

Freindly staff, minimalist lobby but efficiente and very far from the traditional lobby: Love it. The body lotions was good, the towels was fresh and very good and the bed sheets was great.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Queen Room

The bed was low to the ground, I prefer a higher bed but I realize this is personal preference.

Loved the location! Room was very clean as were hallways and elevator.

Browse NU Hotel traveller photo gallery