Reviews of Napa Discovery Inn 2 stars

500 Silverado Trail, Napa, CA 94559, USA

#39 of 40 hotels in Napa

Good location, private, quiet, but needs more thorough cleaning
    • Queen Room

The room needs a good deep-clean, and has a musty smell to it. Our noses adjusted to the smell though, it was not overbearing.

Perfect location if you’re doing wine tours, since it’s right on Silverado Trail. Walking distance to downtown. I liked that the rooms are their own little buildings, so it felt very private and there was no outside noise. Proprietors were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

It is a nice place that have the room separate from each...
    • Queen Room

The customer service is not friendly. Front desk attendant is really rude by thrown me the pen and receipt for me to sign. Their breakfast is only cereal and milk.

It is a nice place that have the room separate from each room (It’s like a small hut).

Not cheap, clean but you are better off trying other places first!

Owner is very condescending and rude. ‘Andy’s computer is always right’ - we’ll it wasn’t and he tried charging additional fees which thankfully booking.com put him right on. We would never stay there again. Breakfast was also a joke - don’t bother. Thankfully Andy’s wife was a lot more pleasant. She should be front of house!

Location is ok and room is clean

No breakfast.

Every thing . It reminded me of a crack house BORING

No breakfast. It was about 60.00 to much . No coffee in the rooms . Iv had better for less money . I will not refute anyone to here .

A convenient place to stay for a night or 2, close to downtown Napa and many wineries
    • Queen Room

The AC is really loud. I had to turn it off or else it was practically impossible for me to fall asleep. It was quite expensive since it was Bottle Rock weekend (which we didn't go to)-- it costed us around $600 per night for a bed with a queen. It definitely did not feel like it was worth that much, but we knew we had that coming.

The location was convenient because it was within walking distance to Downtown Napa and the marketplace where all the grocery stores and chain food places are. The staff was also friendly. Room was clean, shower was hot.

Convenient location but overpriced.

Kitchen is in a tiny corner, nightstands are turned to the bed, you can barely open them. Would be nice to get some complimentary water.

Location is very close to the downtown.

Pricey.

The cost. No one mentioned kids were an extra $25 PER CHILD, which is silly as we were barely in our room and only there 1 night.

motel is very quaint and cute, extremely overpriced, but at a normal (non weekend, off peak) rate, it's a very decent place to stay. Breakfast is cereal.

absolutely awful
    • Queen Room

Everything. The front desk was rude. The bed was hard. The ceilings were so low that I (5'4" female) could touch the ceiling easily. In-wall air unit blew dust and was so loud, I hardly slept. Their "free breakfast" was half of a single stale container of fruit loops. I can't say that anything about this facility was impressive.

Absolutely nothing. We almost walked out as soon as we arrived, but it was too late to make other arrangements.

Worth staying again
    • Queen Room

Front desk called before check out time to ask if we were staying an extra day. Made us think we were past check out time when we still had 45 minutes till 11 and we had agreed at check in for 1130 check out.

Was clean. Beds did not seem like they would be comfortable but surprisingly no tossing and turning.

Cute, clean property, but office staff could have been more helpful
    • Queen Room

There was no one at the front desk to check out me in the morning. There were other guests standing there with me having the same issue. I eventually decided to slide my door keys under the office door as I had a business meeting I could not be late for.

Cute, clean property with basic amenities. Staff was great at check in.

Location was great, and the room was good enough.
    • Queen Room

The bed was not at all comfortable for me. It felt very stiff. I had a hard time sleeping during my stay.

Location was great, and the room was good enough. It had heating for these cold months, a nice tv that we didn't end up using.

Great value for location.
    • Queen Room

Hotel was right in downtown Napa. It's a little dated, but was just right for what we needed for 1 night. Each room has its own parking spot, so that was nice.

Unfortunate. They refused to reimburse us

Property did not look like photos. Room smelled like cheap cleaning products. My mother has asthma and there were evidence of cigarettes outside door. Room was freezing. We had to leave without refund.

Needed a cheap place to stay at last moment and it was just what we needed.
    • Queen Room

Other than the loudness of the heater/AC, the room was great.

Room & bath very clean. Close to the shopping centers on Soscal so lots of quick & cheap food options.

Great value for money in Napa - location was good as we had...
    • Queen Room

Wifi was not that great - possibly better in rooms near the front of the property, but I suspect this would have been loud (near main road). Breakfast was not really breakfast (would not recommend). Room was dirty as fan had fallen down in bathroom, fan was then fixed, but the bathroom not cleaned!

Great value for money in Napa - location was good as we had a car.

Super economical price but would pay more to have a quieter room next time.
    • Queen Room

No facilities for making tea and coffee and no bottle opener, which is weird in wine country. Fridge in room was very noisy and hummed on and off all night. Couldn’t easily access the plug to even unplug it so sleep was patchy. Wifi signal was very weak so we defaulted to our phone data.

Undercover parking right next to the room was great. Very convenient. Room was pretty clean and tidy.

It was not worth saving on cost. Would not go back there.
    • Queen Room

The property is old and outdated. The continental breakfast had few choices, no fruit, and not hot food, and was crowded in a small space with no seating. The heater/air conditioner was in a window near the bed and was very loud,

I was not happy!
    • Queen Room

The office person was rude, the bed was really hard, the pillows were terrible, there was no shampo, conditioner. No Kleenex, not that it should be, but when I pay almost 200.00 for one night I would like a better room!

I parked outside the room that’s the only good thing I could say!

Dirty room with cheap sheets, black mold in the bathroom and poor ventilation

The hotel room was disgusting. There was black mold in our bathroom and the entire room felt filthy. The bedding was uncomfortable and cheap. We ended up leaving a day early and cutting our losses because we were so disgusted by the room. The manager left me several voicemails and text messages harassing me if we were coming back so he cpuld use our room for another group and make double the money. I go to Napa often and will NEVER stay here again!!!!

A motel, only use if staying 1 night and/or everywhere else booked up. Poor value.
    • Queen Room

Staff were nonchalant and impolite Room was fine, bed comfy enough. Cleaning was ok. Breakfast was a waste of time so went elsewhere.

Room size was good. Quiet night sleep

Convenient stop but had we known about it we would have gone somewhere else.
    • Queen Room

Right on the main road, nowhere to walk to. Breakfast was only a choice of 2 cereals, prewrapped pastries , bread and a toaster, coffee and tea. All of which we had to take back to our room. Room 1 was noisy because it was the nearest to the road.

It was OK for one night

Nice place with a good location
    • Queen Room

Room was slightly cramped. But this is really not a complaint. They had the lowest price in the Napa Valley. I actually grew up in the Napa and travel back there to take care of family business and have been looking at hotels for a few years now. If you are a seasoned traveler who prefers to be out and about and does not need luxury accommodations, this place may be for you. In addition, I like its location on Silverado Trail, farther away from the tourist traps. You have access to less expensive restaurants near Target AND the trendy gourmet restaurants downtown Napa. You can go up the Valley on Silverado trail on the East side of the Valley rather than cutting across valley (west) to go up 29 like everybody else.

just packaged breakfast pastries. convenient. nothing special

Not likely

Very rude service at check in the manager never ended his personal phone conversation duri g entire transaction I couldn't ask anything about property very inconsiderate

Handicap accessibility

4.0
    in a tight spot it is okay for a one night stay

property is far too old; while clean, not a level floor in the building and no amenities, it is not on par with Holiday inn express up to Marriott court yard or Hilton Double Tree to be charging two hundred plus dollars a night. It is more on the level with a motel six or below.

the location was ok

The air conditioning worked great.
    • Queen Room

Shower had mold in it. Window was filthy with no screen. Bed was extremely hard.

The air conditioning worked great. The woman at the front desk was considerate and efficient. Location was great.

Good and simple

The room and sized queen beds were very comfortable for my wife, two daughters and for me. The parking was just in front of our spacious room. The breakfast was simple, but good enough (good coffee). We received support to ask for a delivery pizza in our arrival. Napa Downtown is about ten minutes walking (5 driving) and you will be able to taste Californian wines and buy them in Main St. It is also very close to Napa Wine Train Station to enjoy a ride, eat good food and taste wines . We also wanted to enjoy Napa nice nature views and visited Lake Berryessa, which is 1 hour away driving. It is good for a picnic and for swimming. Thanks.

Cheap for Napa, but you get what you pay for
    • Queen Room

It said it had been remodeled, I can't imagine what it looked like before. The rooms are tiny. Wifi didn't work. The shower curtain was covered in mildew and the entire place smelled like mildew. The bed was uncomfortable, I could feel every time my husband moved around. I wouldn't stay there again.

It was a good location, close to Napa. Staff was friendly. Maid service came everyday and made the bed and brought fresh towels.

Great, charming, close to downtown Napa. Highly recommend

Small breakfast area, however nice selection, and table and chairs outside. Charming.

Room was charming and clean, beds were comfy, and great pillows. Nice size bathroom and looks like it had been remodeled. I was pleasantly surprised, and the owner was friendly and very helpful. For the area, the price was reasonable. I definitely recommend staying there.

Only a place to sleep nothing more.
    • Queen Room

The bed was as hard as a rock . No coffee pot in room . No breakfast to speek of .Room very small only a place to sleep.

the location to Napa was very good

Perfect little homebase

This place was ideally located near downtown and plenty of restaurant options. The separated bedrooms within our room was idea for me and my teenage boys.

Close to every place we needed to be.

No in room coffee. No one in office when we were looking for breakfast, so ended up going off site.

Location, covered parking. Quiet, bed was comfy, shower roomy.

Air-conditioning noisey
    • Queen Room

The beds are really hard so very uncomfortable and the only on the thing is the air conditioning is sooooo loud I could not sleep.

The property was nice enough and the rooms clean, new carpet, nice bedding and fixtures, bathroom clean and nice.

Convenient for Bottle Rock music festival but way over-priced

Way over-priced during Bottle Rock music festival weekend. So not for everybody. No restaurants or bars adjacent to property. Dismal residential area. But about 3/4th of a mile away (walkable) are great restaurants in one direction. And a starbucks is about 1.5 miles in the opposite direction (highway drive). Other places might promote the tourist spots for its guests like best breakfast or wineries etc. Make my stay easier.

Perfect location for Bottle Rock music festival. Easy walking distance access to gate. Clutch after festival ends every night because traffic backs up for miles on narrow 2 lane streets that lead to festival. Wonderful parking under covered area designated for your room and adjacent to the door of your room.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Cheap in Napa

Older cottages but clean. Could use some nicer towels.

Very basic accommodations but for the area a good value. Although it was right on a busy highway our room was quiet.

The location on Silverado was perfect for both Downtown Napa...

Breakfast was minimal. Bath towels were thin and meager. Most of the satellite channels were SD.

The location on Silverado was perfect for both Downtown Napa and getting to some great wineries.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Unacceptable

Frankly, it stank. It was undoubtedly flooded and not remediated properly. I had to sleep with the windows wide open which was not safe as I was alone and on the ground floor right at the parking lot. There was no coffee maker, the road noise was significant, the ac was extremely loud and seemed to simply rotate the mold spores in the air. The woman that checked me in and the gentleman that checked me out had absolutely no interest in the quality of my experience and were not rude, but neither were they polite. It looked to be merely an interest in profit. The cost was outrageous considering the air was unhealthy and led to almost no sleep and the room was ugly and the light bulbs were entirely too bright.

The room was clean, but thats the only good thing I can say.

you get what you pay for

Room wasn't very clean; was dusty, there was stinky food left in our fridge and something on the top shelf of the bathroom that I didn't want to look at twice.

Location was great because it was close to town; restaurants, shopping. Beds and bedding was comfortable.

Meh.

Not in town you have to take an uber to get to a restaurant, the one vending machine was empty for bottled water and there was none available to buy, so pricey for small room with a noisy air conditioner that we had to keep on because it heated up quickly, the towels were small and scratchy, the room was dark and felt a little depressing, the front office is not consistently manned, and it seems like customer service is not a priority.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable

A great value for the money.
    • Queen Room

No walking anywhere. Cars moved by very fast.

The room suuted us. Bath was good size and the riom was arranged nice. I liked the vert close parking. It was a great trip.

Good price and location, nice people running the place.
    • Queen Room

Strong chemical smell. could have cleaned room better. towels were stiff and scratchy.

The location was fine. I like having to park outside our door. There was a strong chemical smell at first, but we able to get past it. It was great having a microwave, refrigerator, and freezer. The bed was comfortable. W We got in late on Friday night and Saturday morning there was loud noises and loud talking outside as the manager and workmen were taping and painting the outside of the building. It woke us up earlier than we would have liked. I would stay again, the price was right.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Perfect bargain motel room
    • Queen Room

For the money spent, there was nothing to dislike. As noted, if you want "fancy fancy": a huge room, room service, massage options, gym, clerks running around in uniforms saying pleasant phrases, go stay somewhere else.

Perfect basic room, tidy, clean and adequate. If you want fancy fancy, go spend $250+ in town but I just wanted a comfy bed, fridge, microwave, and a hot shower (there is a tub). I came to be in Napa, not for my hotel room. Owner was a very nice man!

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Comfortable, quiet cottages

Offers vintage style with comfortable, clean rooms, Plus the cottage layout means no noisy neighbors. The Discovery Inn is our "go to" getaway.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Nice but I probably won't return
    • Queen Room

No shower power, the mattress was hard and the staff was rude, got a call on departure day, "leaving?" who says that in customer service?

Just a warm place to stay. It was quaint and cute.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Low price, no privacy
    • Queen Room

Kinda rude, incompetent, staff opened our door and came inside without knocking, relocated us to a different room that was not as good as the first floor was wet.

The price

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Avoid This Inn & Owner If You Can!!
    • Queen Room

Owner was very brash and rude when addressing the most neutral of questions. Seems like he is a cranky personality normally. Based on initial interaction I politely asked to cancel our arrangement if he wasn't going to honor the price I booked at but he then got really angry and refused and started treating me worse. At this time I had not paid nor was a cc on file and there were cheaper rooms in the area. However I decided to honor my booking but I wish I didn'T. This owner is very disrespectful and implies the guest is always wrong. He then tried to over charge me twice throughout check-in and then accused me of having my reservation info mixed up (based on his "records" of disorganized printout paper strewn across the desk) when he didn't even have easy access to his own computer. Over the course of the stay he remained very rude and unpleasant. I would never stay here again.

The room was clean enough. Likes end there.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Convenient, reasonable and spacious accommodation near Napa downtown.

The floor is slightly uneven.

I asked for 2 beds and I ended with 2 spacious rooms. Beds are comfortable. We have 2 TV. Bathroom is very clean. It is very comfortable and reasonable for the money we paid. Walking distance to Napa downtown.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Don't stay here

Towels were small. Staff was rude when we asked for a blanket, telling us "you have a heater" Price point was extremely overpriced for venue

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

Not at all what I expected....and that's a bad thing!
    • Queen Room

The room smelled moldy and seemed damp during our stay. The bathroom was very small and the ceiling in the shower was very low. I was afraid to be in the room without something on my feet. The towels in the bathroom were small, thin, and rough. I would not stay here again.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

How do you get away with not honoring your reservation?

Confirmed reservation and paid for 2 beds. Only had one with a cot that did not fit the room. Damp, smelly,room falling into wet area in back. Rude owner. Will be contacting better business Bureau. Breakfast was white toast jelly and cream cheese or cereal only. No coffee in room. Plastic cups not replaced second day.

Cleaning lady was sweet

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

I would never recommend this place.

Towels were scratchy, threat-bare, very thin with holes and every day we did not get a proper amount of towels. Had to walk to the main office for extra towels 4 nights out of the 5 we stayed there. Upon arrival and going to our room, I opened the room door with my card key and walked in on 2 adults having sex (middle of the day). Then the office person gave us all card keys to another room and each day one of them did not work. Continental breakfast was a joke and we skipped it. The office person twice put a call through to our room by mistake. Un-professional and very rude office people. Our room was definitely not worth hundreds of dollars/night !

We didn't experience any bed bugs. Location was pretty good, but still had to drive everywhere.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Good value and great location
    • Queen Room

The room was ok but did not have a box of Kleenex tissue.

I liked the small inn feel. The layout was simple and not congested with rooms on top of one another. It was nicely spread out with only 2 rooms connected.

300 per night for a one star motel
    • Queen Room

Way overpriced Small motel less than 200 square feet should be 1 star maximum and priced less than one hundred per night. Very basic amenities. 300 per night was ridiculous. When i saw it i did not want it and they refused reimbursement.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

ok

The bathroom had caulking issues, and baseboards missing. Room insulation was not good (room too cold. Could hear and feel vibration from noisy neighbor)

Room was clean

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Too expensive for the quality

Badly built with a gap between the door and frame. The room was freezing and only a thin blanket on the bed- Breakfast was a joke. 800m to the city only if you can swim.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

Great service, location, and price

no problems at all.

More amenities than most hotels; microwave, refrigerator, car right outside door (easy to unload and load+safety), rooms far away from each other so don't hear neighbors, someone always there (came in very late- no problem), great location. Clean & simple. Reminds me of early California.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Way too expensive for a motel

The room smelled musty The air conditioner/heater was extremely loud The refrigerator was a little noisy The complimentary breakfast was a joke

Bed was comfortable and had lots of pillows Parking was close to room

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

It is a classic, tired motel, on the outskirts of town.
    • Queen Room

It is a classic, tired motel, on the outskirts of town. Appalling/no breakfast facilities even though the booking was promised to include breakfast. The walls are paper thin, making the room an oven under the California sun, the air conditioning was very loud and refused all attempts to regulate or control it.

A coffee maker would have been nice.

No pool area and no coffee maker

A coffee maker would have been nice. They did have a microwave and fridge which was nice to have.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

The man in reception was very kind :)
    • Queen Room

The man in reception was very kind :) and its a quiet place to sleep ,and not far away to DownTown by Car :)

I didnt Like being accused for smoking when i didnt Smoke at...
    • Queen Room

I didnt Like being accused for smoking when i didnt Smoke at all. I didnt Appreciate being yelled at by the staff

Clean

Clean

The accomodation as a whole was superb

Nothing...Everything was great

Breakfast provided was awesome

Great price for napa, easy 15 min walk into town, comfy bed,...

Loud aircon in room

Great price for napa, easy 15 min walk into town, comfy bed, very clean.

Very dirty.

It was very smelly.

Very dirty.. The room smelled bad..

Early morning wake up visits by housekeeping means we won’t be staying here again.

Housekeeping opened our door at 8am, knocked again at 9:30 and entered the room again at 10. Check is at 11am. Not very good guest experience.

Parking in front of the room
    • Queen Room

No coffee until 9 AM, old room with a bed that was hard as a rock.

Parking in front of the room

The bed was EXTREMELY firm

The bed was EXTREMELY firm

Great location and price

Great location and price

Nothing extravagant but nice clean rooms.
    • Queen Room

Breakfast nook was very small.

Quiet individual rooms with covered parking.

Good for this price
    • Queen Room

You need to drive to down town

Clean and simple

Terrible

Very rude staff.

Staff not overly warm and friendly

Within walking distance to Downtown Napa