Reviews of Howard Johnson by Wyndham National City/San Diego South 2 stars

521 Roosevelt Avenue, National City, CA 91950, USA

#3 of 8 hotels in National City

The floors were NOT clean. When we got into the shower, the mat had dirty footprints on it from walking just from the bed to the bathroom.

The beds were comfortable.

There were ice buckets outside our door when we got there and when we checked in. Plus the floors in the bathroom and around sink area was dirty. There were ants in the bathroom. And the staff was high at one point when I went to tell her about the ants. Even after we came back from Seaworld the floors were still dirty and the ice buckets still there.

The beds, pools, and it had small frig, and mircowave. The front desk person. It was quiet area.

• King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

A bedside lamp would have been good. Very noisy on Saturday night with motorbikes and loud music. Perhaps put in a barrier to stop unauthorised vehicles entering from the road?

Comfortable, clean, friendly helpful staff. Very convenient for the bus into San Diego. Nice pool and hot tub.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

There was a desk clerk at night who was extremely rude and nosey. My boyfriend and I stayed there for 4 days and during that time had 4 different people stop by to bring us our luggage one night and the other day my sister stopped by and my boyfriends brother on the same day. Each visit was no longer than an hour. After the last visit, the clerk called our room and rudely informed us that we had too much traffic coming in and out of our room and that if ONE more person came by they would ask us to leave and we would not only not be refunded the cost of the room, but they would keep our $100.00 cash deposit that we left. There was no excessive noise and there were no other complaints. The clerk stated that the manager had seen the last two visitors. I inquired about this policy of not being allowed to have visitors and asked if it was written anywhere. I was told that it didn't matter if it was written and that they had the right to refuse service to anyone. I was under the impression that you leave a deposit for incidentals such as damage to the property, room, etc. How they would be allowed to keep the $100.00 deposit because we had a few visitors seems absurd to me, especially when it was not stated upon check in or written anywhere for us to see or even know about. For people travelling and on vacation not to be allowed to have any family or friends stop by and visit or merely drop off food, necessities, or to give someone a ride seems ridiculous. I would never stay at this hotel again and would never recommend this hotel to anyone else. To be threatened in such a manner for this does not sit well with me and the rudeness of the clerk was completely out of line, especially the way he spoke down to me.

The morning staff was friendly. The bed was comfortable.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Feel insulted by the staff who said we save 3$ by booking online and waited an hour before we can checkin. The breakfast bread is not fresh.

The location.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

The property needs a little more attention. I didn't try the small breakfast or the WiFi so don't know how good or bad it is.

The bed was good and clean room

• King Room- Non-Smoking

The location is right on the highway so it’s a bit noisey and the area isn’t the nicest. Sex workers walk the street outside the hotel and it made me not want to venture out except when I was coming and going.

The room was very clean and the staff at the Howard Johnson was very friendly both day and night. The breakfast was small but surprisingly had a lot to offer!

The floors were all tile and very dirty. We didn’t feel comfortable walking batefoot while in the room. After the first night I explained the situation the the staff and they ensured they would make sure it was clean. However, we continued to wear our shoes just in case. Also, the bathroom fixtures were very old.

The staff was very friendly and had hot coffee first thing in the morning.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

There was coffee in the room, but no coffee maker. ?? A soap dish in the sink area is needed too. Had to put the soap on the counter.

I think the room was a handicap room because it had great wood flooring and lots of room, but only 1 grab bar in the bathroom and not located close to the toilet or in the shower.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

1 Bedsheets had small blood spots on it; indicative that the sheets are not clean, or not thrown away when they need to be. 2. Toilet seat had signs if high degree of wear. (Paint worn through.) 2. Although breakfast is offered, it is a small even in comparison to other continental breakfasts. For the whole hotel there are only two tables with 7 seats total. I don't know where everyone is supposed to eat.

The price.

The coffee was not labeled and did not have milk for the cereal or creamer for the coffee.

I was comfortable because the condition of the hote rooml was great. I stayed at the HJ on hotel circle and did not like the condition of the room it looked a little old.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

The bed and pillows were not the best. But for the price it was well worth it!

The room is extremely clean and decorated very nicely. Lots of parking in private lot.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

When I originally checked in there was plenty of parking. Went out for a couple of hours and came back to no parking at all. Had to park on the street.

Room was spacious, and facility was clean.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

the couple in the room next to us literally argued all night long. banging on walls and yelling, slamming doors. made it difficult to relax and watch shows.

the staff usually is nice & helpful. rooms clean.

• King Room -Smoking

the room was dirty, floors left our feet black. the front desk and cleaning staff were not friendly. Our tv was not even hooked up we had to figure it out and could not get anyone to answer the phone when we called the office. The bed had a medal piece hanging out that we kept bumping in to and when we were looking for the remote we moved the bed and it was nasty and empty bottle s were under there , they definitely need to clean better

the hot tub was nice and the orange juice was yummy

• King Room- Non-Smoking

LOCATION, NOISE, BREAKFAST AREA, NOT ENOUGH SPACE, ONLY 2 TABLES, ALWAYS RUNNING OUT OF COFFEE, NO LOBBY, CHECK IN/PUT AREA IS WHERE THE BREAKFAST AREA.

PRICE

• King Room -Smoking

I did not know my confirmation number was not good due to booking.com used an old Visa card that i don' t have anymore, so my confirmation never went through and i was never notified.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

every time I ask for late checkout , the staff always forgets to write it down or tell the cleaning ladies so my sleep is interrupted from miscommunication.

everyone is always friendly

• King Room -Smoking

A biker club showed up that evening. Music, drinking, loud talking, not to mention the distinct sound of a group of Hogs pulling in to the parking lot. It quieted down later so not too bad.

I got there about 8pm the door was locked the gentleman motioned to me to come around to the window. I came around he didn't say hello or anything I had to initiate the conversation he was rude and not helpful. He finally got me checked in. It was about 90 degrees and the kids wanted to go swimming my son asked for towels because there was only 2 in the room and I stated 4 people would be staying , he told him he didn't have access to the towels . I had to go buy some . The next morning it was the same issue. How can you not have access to the towels still the next day I was not happy with the service at all on top of the bathroom being dirty the floor was not cleaned and there was 2 towels for 4 people

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Because of using Bookings.com I almost slept on the street! That outfit assured me I had made my reservation and paid for it, so I left my debit card at home to avoid having it stolen while traveling. The room had not been paid for, even though Bookings.com had asked for my debit card and assured me I would be charged 'anytime' after making the purchase. This dilemma left me shelling out my cash reserve on arrival late Saturday night and required I have a friend go to my house and photo my debit card so I could complete the reservation the following morning. Will never consider using or recommending Bookings.com

very comfortable, ref & micro, clean

They need new pillows please and safely lockers in every room is out of order and they charge a dollar for each day for using something which does not work, i booked for 3 nights but left after 2 days since on the 3rs day after shower when i pulled a shower towel it was full of dirt and hair totally filth on being annoyed they asked told me they can refund me for 1 night which i hav’nt stayed and i had no choice to agree and i moved out

• King Room- Non-Smoking

There was a big gap under the main entrance door and I was uncomfortable something might crawl into the room

The front desk staff was friendly and professional

• King Room- Non-Smoking

The breakfast room is so small. Only two tables for people to eat. No fruit for breakfast. Some heavily bruised apples. The danish was stale. Would serve the hotel to update the breakfast choices.

The room was clean. The young man at the desk allowed me to check in a few hours early.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

The sink clogged and toilet leaked.

The sink and toilet were broken, and we didn't want to report this, since we used the room only 5 hours to sleep.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Everything went really well, i requested a room on the bottom floor and the staff assured me that i would get a room on the first floor, this was very important to me because my husband can not go upstairs, if there is no elevator.

• King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

didn't like that half the staff didn't smile or talk just trying to get you in and out even without a line. not enough tables for breakfast with only 2. and washing machines were not all working. and i felt the pool closed a little early

bed was nice and hot tub was nice was able to wash some laundry from a day at the beach really liked the location due to being within about 15 min from everything we needed food gas shopping as well as the beach

the property looks a bit old, the pool is dirty and useless...nothing special around the motel, good restaurants are inexistant, only cheap fast food

its a chain so they have standards to respect, stayed in many more after that and was pretty easy to find, to park and go around ... I recommend this chain for 2 to 3 nights stay max on a road trip is perfect

• King Room- Non-Smoking

This is my third time staying in Howard Johnson ...the outlet was not working and loose and he tv not working like last time ... break fast not enough for people checking in .it's sad what's the point of asking for survey and not valuing customer complaint and not correcting the maintenance issue and same problem as always....

carpet getting some traffic stains.

nigh staff wasn't as friendly as morning team, but that's understandable at 1:30 am, Still was very professionalism.

there was no protein besides hard boiled eggs for the breakfast. It would have been nice to have another option. The rest of the breakfast was sufficient. The room was comfortable but it seemed like the floors were dirty even after the room was cleaned.

We liked the fact that there was some breakfast and fresh fruit. There was a pool but it was always pretty crowded. Parking on site was great and it was close to the highway, which made for easy access to where we needed to go.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

I don't like that when you book more than one day the price of the room goes up. I ended up being charged $174.00 per day for 4 days which came out to $500 plus. That's not good Customer Service!!!!

I like the room and the wifi.

We had some noisy neighbors with kids screaming and running around at 6 am in the morning, but this can happen everywhere.

Even though the motel has only a very small breakfast room in the lobby (2 tables with 3 chairs each), the breakfast itself is pretty nice (fresh coffee, juices, english muffins, bagels, toast, eggs, muffins, etc.). Our first breakfast even had a box with a variety of freshly bought donuts. The rooms were nice and clean. In the neighborhood you find a couple of very cheap and delicious taco restaurants, which is nice for people that dont want to spend a lot of money in restaurants. The location is also pretty close (15-20 min by car) to most of the interesting spots in San Diego (USS Midway museum, gaslamp quarter, old town) and even to the Mexican boarder (30 min).

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Had to keep re-setting the TV HDMI 3 from its default TV setting. Once set, the TV had a great picture with a large assortment of satellite channels with guide. Great location neat trolley and Navy long term parking.

Extremely comfortable king size bed. Very good A/C. The orange juice was not watered down and, if you get to breakfast before 0830, some fresh full sized pastries.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Freeway noise, sticky bathroom floor, bad water. Rack in bathroom has a sharp corner @ face level. Entire unit is in need of retro.

Close to the job site I was delivering to. Was able to park a 50ft unit on the other side of the road.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

DIDN'T LIKE THE LOUD PEOPLE OUT IN FRONT OF THEIR ROOM DRINKING, WAS CLEARLY HEARD AND VIEWED BY STAFF,

LOVED THE EXPRESS BREAKFAST IN THE MORNING, ROOMS WERE VERY CLEAN, AND PRETTY UP TO DATE ON STYLE, FELT NICE AND CLEAN,

• King Room -Smoking

Insects in rim of bed room wasn't clean , Trash in trash can from person before me, the pool was serviced I saw the pool man but 2 hours later when I was going to use JACUZZI bugs floating in pool bad!! I was afraid to use JACUZZI also within reach of children SPIDER WEDS ON GATES TO POOL WITH DANGEROUS SPIDERS IN THEM!!! I RATE THEM A (D)

JACUZZI!!!

• King Room- Non-Smoking

The neighbourhood seemed a little sketchy. But you get what you pay for. The reviews were all good and we still felt safe enough.

The place was decent for what we paid. It was clean and comfortable. The neighbourhood seemed a little sketchy, but we felt safe enough to walk to the transit to get down town. It was close to everything we wanted to see. Either close driving or easy access to the transit.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

It's not the nicest looking motel but the room was decent enough. Pillows could be a little fluffier (but not a deal breaker), the restroom was clean enough. There are quite a few trailers parked across the street (since the highway is across the street).

I liked the complimentary breakfast, for being a small place it was very well stocked and accommodating. I liked how close it was to the highways. They have a pool. There is a gas station and a Jack in the Box across the street. There is plenty of parking. The room also had a mini fridge and a microwave, which is a plus!

N/a

The room has "upscale everything" in it. The newness of the pillows, linen, how updated the room was made me wish I hadn't booked (fir this and next week) other hotels in the area.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Honestly if I write anything negative, it would just be minute details that I'd have to over-think and that didn't really bother me.

The staff really surprised us. This was our first time staying at a Howard Johnson, and we weren't expecting much. But right away the staff went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable. Upon arrival, the front was printing flight tickets for another guest and asked if I would like them to print directions when I asked about traffic for the next day. Even the cleaning staff were warm and friendly as we walked by. Our room was clean and exactly what we expected (plus a microwave!). Breakfast was pretty good with an assortment of pastries, hard-boiled eggs, and waffles! Coffee was just alright.

Breakfast. Pool too cold and dirty. No paper towels in kitchen area.

Wonderful staff always ready to help. Room cleaned every day. Not too far from main attractions. Free ice. Nice warm Jacuzzi.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Too much noise going on. Cars, trucks, music, yelling. Outside the hotel by the fence I would see people drinking smoking it got me a little scare. I was constantly checking my car through the hotel window. I didn't feel safe driving to the gas station for something to drink. Overall is a nice hotel fair prices it needs a little bit more attention on cleanliness it was an ok hotel. I stayed there with husband but will not stay with my kids. Office people where supportive and helpful. I had a nice stay little scary but it was not the hotel fault or nothing they could do about it.

Parking close to rooms. Fast check in/out. Close to highway. Office people really nice. Hair dryer, microwave and mini fridge on rooms.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

The safe in the room did not work and I was charged for it--it was only $1 per day, but the manager knew it did not work as she had tried without success to fix it. It was only $2 but still.......

Free breakfast--not huge variety, but everything I personally like in a breakfast. The neighborhood is a bit rough, especially at night, but once on the property, there is a good feeling of safety. If I need a place to stay in National City, this would again be my choice.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Smoking

Whenever It Was Time For The Place To Be Cleaned, I Stated No Thank You, May I Have Some Clean Towels Please. Her Saying Yes She Walked Away Did Not Receive Them Until Hours Later

Bed Was Comfotrable ,And Enjoyed Watching Movies

Some of desk staffs customer service skills needs to be addressed and may be a course in customer/consumer affairs Especially night shift

Good pool

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Someone picked their nose and wiped their fingers on the wall over the towel rack and wall next to the toilet.The service people should have caught it. Nasty!

• King Room- Non-Smoking

My room wasn't clean, even though I ask for it to be cleaned three times. There was a pair of dirty panties in the room from a the previous customer. I also had to have the microwave replaced because it didn't work. The mini fridge was leaking.

The bed was wonderful.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Just the color of building needed attention looked old and dark. But rooms are fabulous

The room was very clean you could smell the cleanliness staff was very polite

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Smoking

We were missing our remote, most of the outlets stopped working, we couldn't figure out the coffee maker and the pool was a little dirty.

The price was great, the place was clean and it wasn't too far from gaslamp. Good value for the price point.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

the hair blower is broken so we couldn't use it. The HARD boiled egg is sure hard and so cold, maybe because it's from the refrigerator 😂too bad they don't have scramble egg 😔

breakfast is good they have waffles (you have to make your own waffles) but the taste is good tho, cereal which is corn flakes and fruit loops?, toast bread, bagels 😍, sweet rolls, coffee and tea of course, fruits orange and apple i believe, room is good too with it's own tv, microwave, refrigerator, desk ( for those people who brought their own laptop) 😝, ohh there's safe there too but you have to pay with your card haha. shampoo and conditioner and soap? for 4 people in the room it will not gonna last 😂 so better bring your own, they have iron and iron board which is pretty cool 'coz we don't have to go outside and go somewhere else with our clothes wrinkled 😂... with 1night stay so far so good i can say... ohh and also my sister is so happy too because we got the room that she really want 👏

• King Room- Non-Smoking

The bed was awful, it was lumpy and was worn and sagged through center, the sink didn't drain, half the room had no power, air conditioner barely worked, pillows were lumpy and hard!

Staff was nice, rooms come with mini refrigerator, microwave, iron and ironing board and hairdryer. Continental breakfast was good but very limited selection. Great waffle machine. Towels were nice, clean and very new. Sheets were clean and crisp.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Smoking

The room was dirty and only one lightbulb worked water pressure was really bad and water barely got hot

Thenman who checked me in was really nice and made my bad mood from driving all day abbot better

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

• King Room -Smoking

I can't really find anything I didn't like,oh maybe the toilet paper.

I loved how clean and big the beds are and SUPER COMFY and it's worth going back I give 10🙌

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

• King Room -Smoking

The curtains interfered with the air conditioner they should be w little shorter l had to put a tissue box in front of the curtain to feel the air conditioner I

I liked the clerk Willie he was very professional and very helpful and a pleasant person

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

• King Room -Smoking

My experience was really bad . I came at 9 pm . You check in outside in a cold , and the front desk don't let you in the front office , is not friendly . there was a trace of blood in my bed clothes . I asked to the front desk to bring me new one he said me we don't have housekeeper at night . Don't go in this Hotel !!

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

I made the error of staying in a cheaper hotel and paid the price!! Howard Johnson is my first now. Rooms are always clean, cable tv, microwave, refrigerator, good breakfast(especially the waffles) etc etc. And great price. Will always come back!!

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

The service took forever for us to get in a room, then got up to shower the next morning and the water was off. Called front desk and they didn't even know our water was off at first, then she said oh they are doing some maintenance work. They never notified us the water would be off.

The bed was very comfortable

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

This is an old, worn hotel.

The bed was clean and comfortable. They charged us $79 instead of the $119 I was quoted on line. This hotel is fine for a quick nights stay, with packaged pastries for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

• King Room -Smoking

Air con didn't work right couldn't he TV remote to work. A lot of ants in bathroom some in room

Overall appearance.up to date amenties. Nice looking

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Location is not good. Breakfast location is so small. Room flooring is not clean. I will never go there again.

Front Desk staff were kind & helpful.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

The linens, towels, bed were extremely clean. We appreciate the non carpeted floors. Much easier to keep clean. The staff went out of there way to make our stay great.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

The breakfast. Cereal, toast, and coffee. Thats about it! But we didnt mind, we got a great rate and a clean room! Thats what was most important!

We loved the staff and how prompt, patient,and understanding they were! Our son got sick in the middle of the night and the front desk gave us all new bedding without any questions, and even asked the next day if he was feeling better. Quiet and clean upgraded hotel.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Breakfast area had seating for six and the selection was very limited. The pool area was about the size of our room.

The staff was always pleasant and willing to assist with everything we asked of them.

• King Room -Smoking

Affordable enough to get away and stay in town.

Breakfast was horrible

Bed. Was comfy

great comfort and clean

The bed & decor

Checkout Time

Comfortable Beds Slept Very Well Here Before

Very chill, little noise other than the fwy but our 2 day stay was great

Nothing really

Very convenient, clean and reasonably priced.

The receptionist Willie was very professional. Made checking in and out very easy! Cheers Willie!

• King Room -Smoking

Breakfast could be just a little bit longer hours

Very clean and comfortable