Reviews of Novotel New York Times Square 4 stars

226 West 52nd Street, New York, NY 10019, USA

#119 of 415 hotels in New York

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor/ Floor 20 to 33 (2 Adults)

We regularly stay at the Novotel and we never had an issue. If we do they will always address it as quick as possible.

The view is always a beauty. The staff is nice and considerate. We really enjoyed the room because we are usually in a king bed room but this time got a double and we really like the space and bathroom for the double better.

• King Room with Times Square View - High Floor

everything was excellent about this hotel from the staff to the location. hotel was very clean. was a home away from home food was excellent wil definitely be back

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Times Square View (3 Adults)

The staff were not unpleasant but not that warm or friendly either. It was a touch impersonal, they just did the job of checking you in and out. Bar staff were similar, nice enough but not chatty or interested in you. Not a deal breaker though:)

Fabulous location, room was spacious with an awesome view! Nice bathroom with a decent shower:) Rooftop bar was really cool! Excellent gym We would stay there again for sure!

• Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

Staff were very nice and helpful. Location of this hotel is great; it's walking distance to most theaters, MOMA and Central Park. Near the subway station, too.

• Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

My room view I thought I would see the Hudson or Times Square but not a big deal at all

Great hotel, great location, modern, clean and comfortable, great views of time square and good food. I will stay at this hotel again.

• Room with King Bed and Times Square View

There was a lack of hotel room amenities such as microwaves, coffee makers, and hotel bathrobes

We LOVED the view from our room and from the patio! The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable and the shower was wonderful! The staff were all so very helpful and the ambiance added flavour to the New York City experience. It was fabulous to walk out the door and be right in the centre of the action.

• Room with Two Double Beds

The location was a little bit too central for me especially in the evening you could not move. It took like 20 mins to walk 2 blocks. Because the hotel was so central the price of food and drink in nearby places was crazy money. Would stay in Soho next time.

Hotel was great but the beds we not comfortable at all.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor/ Floor 20 to 33 (3 Adults)

Some employees could have been a bit nicer and we´ve had problems with the wifi.

Hotel has a great location. You´re both close to central park, broadway, times square, MoMa...etc. As most of NYhotel the room is not very big but still it is better than many. The view from the room was great also.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor/ Floor 20 to 33 (3 Adults)

The staff isn't that friendly, but they were ok.

The best thing in the hotel was the location. It is really near some subway stations. The breakfast buffet has good variety of food. The room was clean and comfortable.

• King Room - High Floor/ Floor 20 to 33

Nothing bad I could comment about, it's why we've been staying twice a year for the last 5 years!!

Stay at this hotel regularly, great staff, efficient service and they really make you feel welcome. Even more so for those who are regular visitors that they remember you by name etc. Location is great, only a few blocks from Time Square and rooms are comfortable with good amenities. Wi-Fi is free and a good speed, I had no issues working remotely with my laptop in the Room, at the bar and on the great rooftop terrace. We'll be back again without doubt!!

• King Room - High Floor/ Floor 20 to 33

I had a minor issue at check in because there was a line of foreigners. But the front desk staff quickly apologized for the delay.

Ideally located and the beds are extremely comfortable.

• King Room - High Floor/ Floor 20 to 33

When I arrived to the hotel I was given 2 key cards for the room; when me and my guest got on the elevator our card did not work and we could not go to the 29th floor. We had to ride all the way to the 33rd floor with another couple who's key worked. The elevator would only go back to the Lobby. Once we returned to the check-in desk I was offered an apology; it was accepted because hey, things happen. I was then returned a valid key card for room 2915. Upon entry, of room 2915 we noticed that the room was occupied. This was totally unacceptable! It wasn't even our room and I felt violated. Once again we got on the elevator for yet another ride to the check-in desk... Once again we were offered an apology; this was not accepted. I was offered 2 complimentary drink vouchers. Yes, the gesture was nice, but it did not make me or my guest feel that our belongings were safe in the room when were not there. We were then given the key card that was to the correct room 2515. Please retrain your employees to be more mindful of other belongings and safety. I am wondering does this happen often. Thank God on the FIFTH elevator ride we arrived to the correct room.

The location was great!

• Room with King Bed

I would have like to have a better selection of TV channels but we did not go to sit in our room watching TV.

Everything. We had a such a wonderful stay. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. Our room had a partial view of Times Square. You had to look too the right to see it. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. The location was very convenient to tour NYC as we were only a block from Times Square and several subway stations and the Big Red Tour Bus route.

• Room with King Bed

The breakfast arrangements a ridiculous the line to access breakfast was stupidly long there are no dairy free options for the coffee set up

The room was adequate the bed was good and the shower was fine

• Room with King Bed and Times Square View

Unfavorable comment for staff response to faulty thermostat. 1st tech arrived quickly but left without fixing issue. Had too make multiple calls to resolve. 3 different techs responded over 3 hours. Manager was surprised of problem when I finally got his attention for possible room change. Seems maintenance techs and manager do not communicate. No one at hotel mentioned the parking discount. Fortunately the garage admin suggested I return and get parking tix stamped. So extra walk back to hotel to save $50!

Location close to Times Sq, reception area with outdoor lounge was awesome and room furnishings excellent. Bed comfortable and room very clean. Bellhop's recommendation for parking was close by in a public garage. Found out later that the garage offered discount if ticket was stamped.

• King Room - High Floor/ Floor 20 to 33

If I want to be really picky Internet basic is so ad so....

I have been coming to Novotel many times at least 2 times a year when I travel to NY. Excellant location staff very friendly and rooms really confortable.

• King Room - High Floor/ Floor 20 to 33

Well, were to begin. We truly wanted to like everything about this hotel, especially since the staff was so nice, however, the restaurant was closed the ENTIRE time we visited! After discovering the restaurant was closed at least a few days 'prior' to us arriving, it would have been nice, proper, professional, respectful, for the hotel to inform patrons of the status of the restaurant. This one point alone made our stay very un-enjoyable. Second, the ceiling in our room had water damage and water stains. Third, the carpet in multiple elevators had large stains which have clearly been there for a while, as did many areas in the hallways (they have carpet cleaners in New York, right?!). Fourth, while it's not a so much a bad thing, know, the rooms, they are small (we've paid the same amount for hotel rooms that have had 'bathrooms' that were as large as our entire room at Novotel....that's not a joke!). Lastly, did I mention, Heather, at the bar, was rude to us....refused to serve us 'after' the front desk staff ensured us the bar area was open until 6PM. We arrived at the bar area at 5PM, an entire hour before a private party was to begin. We only wanted a hot cocoa or coffee, but Heather seemed to be fixated on making our last hours at the hotel miserable by telling us we could not be served.

The staff (EXCEPT for Heather, at the bar area, she was extremely rude to us, which was upsetting considering all other staff was very nice) was great. The front desk staff was inviting, professional, and kind. They had to deal with the restaurant being non-operable during our entire stay, whcih could not have been easy for them to do. I'd repeat, Heather, in the bar area, wow, does that girl need a retraining session on 'how to speak to paying customers'! The brightest STAR employee was our housekeeper, Evelina! That woman was AWESOME! She always greeted us with a huge smile, a kind approach, kind words, compliments, pleasant conversation, and just an all-around friendly family-like demeanor. Rating Evelina on a performance scale of 1-10, she earned a solid '11'. It was Evelina that made every morning feel as though we were at 'home'. Thank you, Evelina!

• Room with King Bed

great staff very welcoming, love the room lots space love the your able to check out thru your phone or TV in the room without having to stop in the front desk and make a line.

• King Room - High Floor/ Floor 20 to 33

The room was ready early and had a great view of the Hudson. The hotel was happy to hold our bag after we checked out, while we continued to explore the city.

• King Room - High Floor/ Floor 20 to 33

breakfast breakdown on last day. I was not advised by Booking . com that this was a European Hotel, altho the people were all nice.

I didn't like the elevator from street to lobby then to regular elevators. The concierges were polite but not really accurate, did not write down address or directions Kind of not professional. All other services were good.

• Room with King Bed and Times Square View

Booked a Time Square view room specifically, but got 33 floor room with almost no view of Time Square.

Check-In process was very fast. Location of the hotel at the end of Time Square, a bit quieter than expected which is great.

• Room with King Bed

The shower was very clean looking, but I didn't like the configuration of the shower head..just personal to me..

location was fantastic..our room overlooked Broadway but was quiet.

• Room with King Bed

We ate breakfast on the morning we left. We ate as the dining room opened. Food was cold. My wife had the waffles and eggs, I had the eggs and sausage. These two items were cold. The bread and fruit were fine. I can not describe the coffee. We tried the complimentary coffee by the outside of the dining room and the coffee in the dining room and the coffee was stale. Not worth the price for the breakfast.

Location was fantastic. Staff was friendly and room was very comfortable. On the night the power was off we arrived at the bar just as the bar was going to close. The bartender still took the time to make my wife and I cocktails. My Manhattan was fantastic and my wife really enjoyed her drink. Staff was very friendly

• Room with King Bed

Fire drill, power outage. The last 2 times I stayed there, it's always something. The Last time I was there, the turned off the electricity from 1 to 3 am on Fri, and before that, the second time I stayed there, the did a fire drill on the PA system at 8am

Location, comfortable bed, big room and quietness

• Room with Two Double Beds

That you have a deal with the parking garage that isn't honest on what they tell your customers. Your doormen had no clue on the price arrangements with the garage and the garaged charged me an extra $40 because I picked up my car at 26 hours so I was billed a 2nd day for additional 2 hours. If you are going to partner for discounts with stamped parking/validated tickets you need to know the untruths that the attendants tell customers.

a cool vive!! awesome place!

• King Room - High Floor/ Floor 20 to 33

Their lack of professionalism showed from the moment we walked in .Customer service was AWFUL . Rude staff and was actually told to leave the lounge area because we had another dessert with us from somewhere else! There was no signage indicating outside food was not permitted or we would not have done so. We were mortified when the “security” attendant asked us to move. Meanwhile , there were no other seats anywhere to just relax. We asked for ice to be brought to the room since our floor was lacking an ice machine . We waited over 45 minutes for it and it never arrived. Back to the Hilton we go next time . Certainly wasn’t worth the $50 savings.

The location was the only highlight

• Room with King Bed and Times Square View

The restaurant. Breakfast was awful and way too expensive for the poor quality of what tasted like it was previously frozen

Reservations Staff couldn’t have been friendly or more accommodating

• Room with King Bed and Times Square View

The only thing that could have been better was that there was no mat for the shower floor, and it was very slippery. Someone without great reflexes might have fallen and injured themselves.

The room was quiet, newly renovated, with a great view of Times Square. Also visited the bar area late at night, and found the staff friendly and accommodating.

• Room with Two Double Beds (4 Adults)

This was our first time ever in NY and we didn't expect the staff and people to be so helpful and friendly! Our flight arrived early and our checkout was a few hours off but the awesome staff held our bags and told us some close and easy to see sights while our room was being prepared!

• Room with Two Double Beds

The room was big and comfortable and very clean.Every member of staff that we met was so friendly and helpfull😊 the location was amazing so central for everything😊

• Room with Two Double Beds

Our flight was cancelled and I asked reception staff for some help and they just ignored me and said sorry we can’t help. Didn’t feel that they were empathetic.

The bed was really comfy, the location was fantastic too.

• Room with King Bed

Our room was right next to the giant illuminated letters that poured light into the room all night long because the shades didn't cover the entire window. The light coming into the room all night was also constantly changing colors (see photo). We asked for a room with a little less "Vegas" and without the disabled-accessible-conditions and were told nothing else was available, even though the sheet that the check-in staff person was using *clearly* showed occupied and non-occupied rooms. The bathroom had no countertop space (see photo), and the shower curtain was covered in black/brown mold (see photo). The shower itself flooded out into the bathroom floor, and the width of it was so narrow that the hand shower for the disabled seat forces you to touch the moldly shower curtain. Few things ruin a shower as effectively as a wet, cold, and dirty plastic curtain rubbing against you. The room was not only right next to the giant lit-up letters, it also had the elevator shafts directly against the headboard wall, so the sounds of elevators moving up and down the shafts not only resonated against our heads while lying in bed, but filled the room. There was barely enough space to hang 3 pieces of clothing in the closet because the rod was perpendicular to the closet door (which is opposite the normal closet layout- see photo). And instead of amenities like lotion or even a fan in the bathroom, it had a speaker in the ceiling so that you can listen to the TV. The bed was not comfortable, and somehow the head of the bed was lower than the foot of the bed. Finally, the hotel has a card in the bathroom hawking their "green" program wherein if you don't want to be wasteful and are ok to use your towel a second day rather than have new ones supplied, you can hang them up, or put them on the floor for new towel. We hung them up, and received new towels anyway.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Times Square View - High Floor

I booked a room with times square view. But they gave me a room without view without saying anyrhing at all. So I got back to the check in counter right after I get into the room and they offered me a refund for the price difference but still ruined my only day in Manhattan.

• Room with Two Double Beds (4 Adults)

The breakfast could be better for the price! Needs ie fresh strawberries,waffles and whipped cream!

Room good size and spotless. Also great location and lovely large lounge area perfect for families with excellent views of New York. We liked that the kids could play video games on the hotel kids game equipment, meet other kids, and we could sit nearbye sipping excellent cappuccinos and checking out the views - very relaxing!

• Room with Two Double Beds

breakfast was a bit expensive, self service and still expected to give a tip

Location was perfect! Room was spacious. Will definitely be staying here again

• Room with Two Double Beds

After two weeks of riding "Uber" and "Lyft" we accepted the concierge advice and took a taxi from the hotel to JFK ("Lory car service"). By all means this was the worst taxi service we EVER encountered.

Prime location next to times square and extra modern design, so be ready to feel in the lobby like in "Blade Runner" or a space ship. Rooms are large and comfortable. Front desk very helpful and attentive.

• King Room with Times Square View - High Floor

I wish there was a coffee maker in the room.

Amazing location! If you can, choose rooms on upper floor - the view is amazing. Very helpful and nice staff!

• Room with Two Double Beds

Our only constructive criticism was the lack of really hot water in the afternoon/evening. I am not sure if they turn the boiler down, or we were too high in the property for hot water to reach, but the shower/bath water was lukewarm.. and on really cold days.. that was a slight disappointment.

Great location. Great lobby/bar/restaurant area for relaxing in the evening. Clean rooms, spacious by NYC standards. Great Staff. There is a nice breakfast buffet. Pricey- but in line with NYC costs. Good selection of food.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Times Square View - High Floor

I booked it as a ‘high floor’ but the floor was not high, I had to call to get a kettle and tea (the room service rep was rude), it was a double bed room but it was so tiny

• Room with King Bed

nothing to talk about. If you give me a free stay I can certainly explore and let you know. I lived and worked in NYC for 3 years before getting out to do what I do now. I completely understand the market dynamics and all the moving targets

didn't eat breakfast at Novotel. Training facilities at Microsoft took care of us.

• Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom was a little small.

Great location,near Times Square. The hotel was great and the staff were very helpful. The beds were comfy, and the room was fantastic.

• Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

Shower was not as clean as I would like. I wiped it down before using it. Body lotion should have been available. Breakfast price quite high.

Front desk was excellent. Location excellent. Balcony area where you could sit and relax.

• Room with Two Double Beds

The beds were very comfortable. We had an incredible view on the 30th floor The rooms were quite large for NYC. There was also a lovely outside bar. The hotel was very secure. It was only a short walk to our Broadway show.

• King Room - Disability Access

Had requested 1 PM check in. We got to the front desk at 1 PM and were told to try back in 45 minutes. We came back in 45 minutes and were told the room wasn't ready and to come back at 2:15. We came back at 2:15 and were told to come back in another 30 minutes, meaning that the first two people either lied to us or didn't know when we could really check in.

Room was spotless and quiet.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Times Square View

No water one evening so couldn't flush toilet or have a shower, but was fixed by next morning.

Easy access to ice. Having a fridge was really useful. Awesome view. Comfy beds.

• Room with King Bed

one downer was small lobby, and reception. taking luggage into the hotel was a hassel

appreciated a buffet for breakfast, rooms were comfy, staff was helpful... location was awesome near times square...

• Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast, as mentioned above.

great location! just a few short blocks to Times Square ... you can even reserve a room here with a view of it as well! Staff was great! Breakfast was priced far too high.... you can get a good breakfast in the area for less than half what they charge. Rooms are small ... this is NY so expect that, but the photos were pretty accurate as to the rooms.

• Room with Two Double Beds

Booking.com don’t display prices to include tax. Also when you leave the hotel you have to pay AGAIN to check out!!?

Hotel room and location was perfect for our needs.

• Room with King Bed

Only thing I would say that I didn't like was that the wifi which is free does not work well, very slow and at times didn't even work. If you wanted a better line to work with needed to pay for it, which I think it's not fair for the kind money paying for the rooms.

Perfect location! Room spacious and comfortable! Have been coming many times to this hotel and Always pleased my expections.

• King Room with Times Square View - High Floor

Bedroom was too small and had inadequate lighting for the price. Room charging needs to be simplified. Pre-paying is no guarantee that you wont have more unexpected room fees.

Location and staff were excellent.

• Room with King Bed

The breakfast was nice but exceedingly expensive - even for someone traveling on business with an expense account! The printer for the office center needed ink - and every employee pointed at someone else in terms of getting the issue resolved. I never did succeed in getting a simple boarding pass printed.

Great check-in, easy check-out. Great bed (easy sleeping) - nice bath. Amazing views. Doormen were very helpful in terms of getting taxis.

• Room with Two Double Beds

The staff member during check in wasn't very informative in regards to prices, taxes and security deposit. Seems as if they didn't have much time to speak to us regarding the facilities.

The room was very spacious and the view was great.

• Room with King Bed

No stuff working after 10 pm except the front desk. I arrived at 10 pm after long flight with kids asked someone to help me to carry the luggage and nobody there, also I asked for knife and spoon the told me come and take it from the reception becouse room service not working after 10 pm. No coffee machine and water heater.

Very nice location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Times Square View - High Floor

Being used to upscale hotels I was apprehensive about the hotel star rating, and almost did a turn around upon arrival as very small entrance, not terribley friendly staff and, over perfumed smell! Up one floor to a nicer reception desk with very nice attendant. Still over fragrant smell.

Loved ! Location was great, Times Square but slightly on end of Broadway and 50th Street subway steps away. Wicked right next door. Great view of Times Square from our room. Once you get to your room and the over fragranted bad smell.

• Room with King Bed

The lobby music was very loud. Too expensive. We did not eat at the breakfast buffet because it was too much food for us.

Room was very clean and the staff was very hospitable.

• Room with Two Double Beds

Our room did not have most of the free toiletries that one comes to expect at even a budget hotel. The maids did not leave conditioner for the hair or body lotion, but I saw these tubes on the cart.

The entrance to the hotel is small, dismal and dreary, but I suppose it is designed this way to screen those who are entering, to ensure our safety. After you take the elevator up to the main lobby, you encounter a space that is also dreary and dimly lit. It is not welcoming at all. Finally, once you are assigned your room, you enter a space that is small, low-ceilinged, painted with dreary grey colors, and is once again dimly lit. Very unappealing.

• King Room with Times Square View - High Floor

2 slow elevators get to room. Room was very small. No microwave, as listed on amenities. No coffee/tea maker as typical of other hotels. TV remote did not work properly (batteries?). Not enough lighting in bathroom and hallway.

The view. Location to things we wanted to do/see. Bed was comfortable.

• Room with Two Double Beds

Brilliant hotel, fantastic and friendly staff, lovely hotel room (and view from 33 floor room) and rooms were cleaned everyday. The hotel was also a 1 minute walk from the centre of Times Square and only a 8 minute walk to Central Park.

The hotel has a pet friendly policy, unfortunately, we had one in the next room, that may have been alone as it barked for a number of hours.

Style of the hotel. Ease of access. Baggage hold at end of the trip.

• Room with King Bed and Times Square View

Dear me, this really is a stretch, maybe the lower lobby with elevator to get to lobby? This never posed an issue though - I think I waited once for 2min..

Really happy! I have stayed here twice now. Once with the boys (party time) and now with my partner (I can remember this trip).. Clean, modern and staff are very professional and friendly. As far as location goes it is AMAZING. I had to shut the blinds at night as Time Square was that bright and close. Close to everything you need if you are walking and metro is two streets away for stuff that is more than walking distance.

• Room with King Bed

Other than the expensive breakfast, everything was great!

The stay was excellent, we were a little surprised when we got the bill for breakfast as we are not big eaters....It sort of gave us sticker shock? $80.00 for two...With tip.

• Room with Two Double Beds

It would have been helpful to have a tea and coffee making facilities in the room, rather than having to especially ask for it. The futuristic "Star Trek" like lobby / reception area was a bit intense.

Bed was very comfortable. Location was great, wonderful views from the windows. Having an extra hour to check out - at no charge. Excellent value for a few days in Times Square in mid-January.

• Room with Two Double Beds

Would appreciate coffee machine or a bottle of water. There is little breakfast space. Went to Bibble&Sip instead.

Great bed. Excellent location. Extraordinary staff.

• Room with Two Double Beds

The check in lady was not friendly as well the guy with glasses at the concierge who wasn't helpful at all, if he doesn't like his job helping people he should get another job!

The property is beautiful, love the lobby and the rooms are great! Very close to attractions such Times Square and Central Park.

• Room with King Bed

We didn't stay long enough - that's the negative

Close to everything- what a great hotel Private evterance with lobby on second floor - very safe /secure Would highly recommend

• Room with King Bed

We do miss having a coffee machine in the room but there was complimentary coffee in the lobby.

Comfortable room and great location. Housekeeping person we dwelt with was exceptional - Elli.

• Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

the size of the bed was too small for two

The location of the hotel is great. at the same time so central but at the same time slightly away from all the noise of time square.

• Room with King Bed

Nothing major. More hangers in the wardrobes. Water in the fridge.

Bar staff & house keeping staff were so lovely. We were over in the States getting married & they made us feel special. Been before at the Novotel, but it has been refurbished since. Decor was bright & modern. Great views of Times Square. Would return here.

• Room with Two Double Beds

Expensive to eat and drink there. Windows in the room let a draft in and didn't keep the noise out.

Room was big, comfortable and had all the toiletries needed. Cleaned perfectly every day.

• King Room - Disability Access

Berm at shower wasn't secure allowing water to spread all over bathroom floor. Lighting was dark in bathroom. Difficult to shave and put on make up (for wife).

• Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

Booking .com did not explain the local taxis that increased the cost of of stay by £150.00 per day which I feel is significant

It was in a good location

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Times Square View - High Floor (3 Adults)

I did not like all the dark flooring. The pillows were terrible too. They totally smashed down when later on. We had no tv during our stay.

I felt like the wait staff at breakfast did not encourage ordering a la carte. They just assumed the buffet

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Times Square View

bathroom got flooded and light in bathroom and room is not so good. no slippers.

modern hotel and we had a room on 12th floor with beautiful view on times square! no noise! good soft beds, clean, fast check-in/out, good Internet. Good radio, docking station. Very good location 3min to times square!

The tv and Wi-Fi services

The tv did not work the whole time and there was no compensation. A housekeeping attendant walked in while I was in bed without announcing herself. She said she did — but she didn’t. She came in slow and scared me. She knocked lightly and didn’t give me a chance to answer.

• Room with King Bed

There was no cable service during our stay and the staff was unwilling to accommodate us, nor did they give us a discount on our bill. They offered complimentary drinks, but I do not even drink.

Comfy Bed, nice view, great shower.