Reviews of Sofitel New York 4 stars

45 West 44th Street, New York, NY 10036, USA

#120 of 415 hotels in New York

A pleasant revisit!
    • Classic Queen Room

It would be nice if there was a double basin. Compared to our previous stay, the facilities seem a little tired. I would prefer a buffet breakfast rather than just a la carte, so that I can load up more fibre and fruits which we all lack while on trips.

The room is spacious and bright. Separate shower from bathtub is a plus. A lot of space to store toiletry items around the wash basin.

Could have been better on rates and services

Value for Money, options provided by staff for room type. No value add services, staff not so welcoming Not clear charging for room rates !! Confusing and wrong double charged

It was convenient and efficient
    • Classic Queen Room

They went the extra mile to upgrade us i think because i was chosen as guest of the day but again not sure (i checked in at 4.30 pm) myself & 2 daughters to the junior suite which was nice but then when they knew my dad was staying in a separate room they only gave us 3 breakfast vouchers and that only after i had said i dont need 4 drink vouchers at the bar because my children were under age and my dad has a heart condition so doesnt drink. Would have been so easy to just skip drinks vouchers and just include 4 breakfasts. It totally undermined the upgrade since the bfast thing was on our last day😩 we were only there 1 night and so i was actually it seems only guest of the day for the day of arrival. Our check out day was the 4th of july too and my birthday os the 6th! Could have been an awesome customer experience moment! But missed.

Great location for theatre especially and 5th avenue shopping. Housekeeping fantastic & v attentive as were concierge team. Was v pleased to get an upgrade & be customer of the day but was a bit unclear from staff what that actually meant other than drink vouchers (a bottle of champagne would have been nice - french perhaps?!)

size of room is nice, lobby is useful and comfortable, Gaby...
    • Superior Room with 2 Single Beds

very small shower stall, rain shower head too big for and small stall

size of room is nice, lobby is useful and comfortable, Gaby is nice for a slow drink, location is good, a/c is excellent

The Sofitel staff well trained with exception of Conceirge...
    • Superior Queen Room

exception of Conceirge staff. The other Sofitels in Munich and London have better services and are well connected to the scene within town The bell persons couldn't call taxis for us therefore always had to walk to busy road to try to catch taxi. The property is 12 blocks away from Central Park

The Sofitel staff well trained with exception of Conceirge staff. The other Sofitels in Munich and London have better services and are well connected to the scene within town

Really excellent, you can stop the frustrating online search...
    • Superior Room with 2 Single Beds

The breakfast/complimentary coffee service could use a little French touch from an experienced continental manager (especially considering the steep price tag.)

Really excellent, you can stop the frustrating online search and settle on this place.

I lost my favorite toy in the hotel ~I wrote the email to...
    • Classic Queen Room

I lost my favorite toy in the hotel ~I wrote the email to them the email address from one of the employee when I contacted the hotel .but I didn’t get any feedback ~can u help me right now The toy is very important to me I can go to hotel to take my toy if it is still in your hotel

The accommodation was excellent, and the staff did more and...
    • Classic Queen Room

The accommodation was excellent, and the staff did more and above. The reception staff was helpful and offered assistance required with my infant daughter. The concierge directed us to favorable restaurants and done it with patient and a smile.

hotel closed.

arrived and along with other guests was told the hotel was closed due to operational problems. later found out it was s labor issue. staff in strike. had been ongoing the girl should have told us before we arrived!!!!!!

Magnifique-less in NYC
    • Classic Queen Room

1. Location, not really as defined. Need to walk 1block to see the Times Square, and street by night is bit dark. 2. The breakfast is not so Sofitel level. Skip theirs and just go out and do it in the park instead. 3. Coordination with employees lack when they want to charge us for breakfast but was included in our package. The waiter even said: maybe your free breakfast was yesterday, HELLO? We just arrived! 4. No coffee maker or tea kettle inside the room (but they have Bose speakers and Belkin chargers) 5. No free water, you need to purchase the evian water from the mini bar 6. Every morning, someone will knock the door to give you refill of water for the mini bar (yes its a bother) 7. Lastly, they should change their breakfast crews: they’re a bit rough and arrogant compare to employees at night. When we ask on our second breakfast for “Fresh” not factory made orange juice - he got upset and went away.

Bed, toilet and the Bar for evening drink

The room was clean, spacious and attractive.

The food in the restaurant was terrible and overpriced. The workout room was small and crowded.

The room was clean, spacious and attractive. The lobby was elegant with comfortable seating.

Great location great service

No comment

Check in offered superior personalized service Restaurant food outstanding We enjoyed storing our luggage so we could watch StPatricks Day parade

Looks like a great place, but not worth the funds..
    • Luxury King Room

Did get billed correctly, couldn't get a response for front desk via phone for mini bar pricing, phone buttons to specific department did not work, alarm clock was broken and never replaced with working one.

I thought the room Service and food was awsome. The room was nice size. Bed was great, bathroom Huge

Had multiple problems with room service.

Had multiple problems with room service. Food was late and cold once...had to send it back. Next time was not prepared as offered, didnt bring condiments requested. If Im going to pay $50 for a burger abd a soup...I would like to eat what I ordered

The staffs are very nice.
    • Luxury King Room

Classic room is very small. The hotel used to be able to give late check out; now the hotel policy is not very accommodating.

The staffs are very nice. Location is very good. Clean and ambiance is good.

Overall okay, but I won’t be staying here again.
    • Classic Queen Room

There was no coffee maker in the room. Unacceptable. The bathroom could have been cleaner too. The fire alarm went off and it was a false alarm but the staff did not make that very clear when we went down to the lobby.

Thw location was great, I appreciated the apples in the lobby, the bath products were amazing and the bed was very comfy.

Perfect hotel in the perfect location -- Would return
    • Luxury King Room

The pillows were terrible and smelled. They need to be changed out. The A/C went out the last night -- we reported it but no one came. They removed the only charge we didn't prepay from our bill without us requesting. It was nice.

Love the room location - 29th Floor and the roominess (by NYC standards). The bed was very comfortable. When I made a specific bed request, they accommodated. Our original room on the 14th floor was TERRIBLE. They apologized but were booked. We were moved the next day with no inconvenience to us. Perfect solution. Loved the location -- close enough to times square for the plays but removed enough to actually enjoy the streets of NYC. If booking a luxury kings -- realize they are on all floors (unlike the queens). Be sure to request a high room if that's important to you.

Nicely appointed hotel, but uncomfortably warm rooms.
    • Luxury King Room

The kitchen wasn’t open for breakfast due to “issues with the kitchen”. They did offer complimentary cut fruit, but if you wanted something more substantial, you were out of luck. Additionally, despite maintenance’s best efforts, they couldn’t get the temp in our room below 75 degrees. Things began cooling down the following morning, but I couldn’t sleep at such a high temperature.

The hotel is nicely decorated and clean.

Love it. We'll be back!
    • Classic Queen Room

Very pleasant atmosphere and accommodating staff. A smaller hotel with a more intimate, European feel. The lobby/lounge area, restaurant, dinning area, exercise facility and of course the rooms, are all very nicely furnished and comfortable. Great location and quiet, as well. I highly recommend this hotel. We'll be back!

EXCELLENT
    • Classic Queen Room

My favorite hotel in New York. Close t Times Square and 5th avenue. Super confortable bed. Lovely linen. Nice staff. Haven´t try breakfast yet. It is luxury and expensive as well. Will always stay there during my times in NY.

Nothing special to say!
    • Classic Queen Room

No dedicated breakfast room. So the place is like a public brasserie where you share the space and the availability of the tables with non-hotelguests. It was cold in the place and terrible cold every time when somebody was entering from outside. When outside you have minus many degrees the normality is to start heating system- which was not the case. Everybody was complaining how cold it is, basically you cannot enjoy your breakfast. The A la carte menu is expensive for what you get. However the food was very good.

Nothing in particular, except the politeness of the staff and the location. Room was OK but too cold for me.

Can't wait to return!
    • Classic Queen Room

The staff was excellent! The hotel's location was excellent! The room was very spacious for NYC and extremely clean! Just a wonderful experience! I highly recommend this hotel!

comfortable stay at a comfortable hotel.
    • Classic Queen Room

no material dislikes...but if there was in room tea/coffee making facility would be even nicer.

good location, surprisingly good food at restaurant and room service (robust coffee and flaky croissants), and hotel having an overall comfortable casual luxury feel to it.

Wasn't up to my exception as a 'Sofitel', standard is very low.
    • Classic Queen Room

The hotel has very limited and basic facilities, the only bar on the ground floor is out of date and doesn't have any ambiance. Compared to many other Sofitel in major cities all around the world which I've been to, this hotel has a very low standard.

Very convenient location.

Freezing cold but that is nothing to do with Sofitel :)
    • Classic Queen Room

Breakfast, bed and overall value for money. I didn't get to see any terrace with a view over the city to both Empire State Building and the Chrysler Builder as depicted in the booking photos.

Staff at Reception was very friendly

I enjoyed my stay and would likely go back to this hotel again.
    • Superior Queen Room

I was disappointed that I didn't have turn down service. I later learned that you had to request it. I think for the amount that I paid for this stay it should have been expected.

The room was very comfortable. The location is excellent. It was New Years weekend so I think the staff was a little strained, especially in the restaurant at breakfast. But, the hotel was very cozy in general.

Very comfy beds, good size room esp for nyc. Great view. Need to get a decent food service in the
    • Superior Queen Room

Room service food was pretty bad. Breakfast service and food at hotel restaurant was simply awful. Very disappointing that in a French restaurant they didn’t even have a decent croissant. Service atrocious.

The breakfast and dinner are wonderful,my son always said...
    • Luxury King Room

Everyday I gave the tip for the room clean,but the clean was not good as well.

The breakfast and dinner are wonderful,my son always said :delicious.The staffs in restaurant are very kind.

The staff were courteous and helpful.
    • Classic Queen Room

I would have liked to have a coffee maker and milk in the room.

The staff were courteous and helpful. We had an issue in our room which was taken care of immediately.

Excellent hotel on perfect location with very friendly and competent stuff.
    • Executive Suite

Would be nice if tea pot is available in the room.

Hotel in perfect location, quite area and only 5 minutes walking to Times Square and many other ammenities. Stuff devoted to guest, very friendly. We had small issue, and guest relation manager Matteo solved it in perfect way and quickly. Bed very confy, and breakfast exceeded all our expectations. Stuff in restaurant excellent. Strongly recommend this hotel!

The room was very clean and bed comfy.
    • Classic Queen Room

The room was very clean and bed comfy. Staff very friendly. One night we had a problem with the heat and maintenance immediately showed up. Also I had call hotel concierge to have flowers delivered on the day we arrived for my daughters bday. They did a fantastic job. The bouquet was absolutely beautiful!!! They also threw in a small cake and a sweet bday note from hotel. This is a great Central location. Also several good restaurants by hotel. Would definitely go back again!

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Fantastic location, staff were very friendly and...
    • Superior Queen Room

Fantastic location, staff were very friendly and accommodating, room was clean, comfortable and spacious. 5th Ave, Central Park, Empire State and Times Square an easy walk away. Great restaurants nearby; perfect spot.

Excellent .... will definitely recommend to family and friends
    • Superior Room with 2 Single Beds

very friendly staff and great location and very distinctive aroma as you enter the hotel lobby very relaxing and calming after a long trip... breakfast is great and the waiters are awesome specially Dos and Ronald:-)

The croissants were amazing and all of the food at the...
    • Luxury King Room

Bad menu for late night room service. The mini bar was not re-stocked and had to call room service to re-stock the mini bar.

The croissants were amazing and all of the food at the restaurant was great.

it was fine
    • Superior Room with 2 Single Beds

outdated furniture,noisy rooms any door opens/closes in the corridor is heard very loud in the rooms

The min advantage is the location its in the middle of everything. helpful staff

Delightful stay at Sofitel.

Nothing. It was all perfect

We were celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary. Sofitel went above and beyond to give us excellent service. Very satisfied with our stay and would highly recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Superb location, friendly and smiley staffs
    • Superior Queen Room

Comfy and pretty good size room for 2 of us and our little toy poodle. Employees were great with smiley faces. Clean room everyday for our 3 nights stay. Location is great near Times Sq and 5th Ave!

not a luxury hotel for the money
    • Luxury King Room

no room amenities, no water, coffee, tea in the room, no ice down the hall , ice machine has been broken for a while!!!! housekeeping did not replace wash clothes, we had to ask several times for replacement, elevator was malfunctioning, stopped on every floor,

Would love to stay again!
    • Classic Queen Room

Nothing to do with the hotel per se - waiting for lifts was a bit of a bore, especially when about fifty new arrivals came at the same time. But this is unfair to the review of the hotel - it's the architect's problem and obviously(sometimes) the customers. No negative comments about the hotel's staff at all. They are brilliant. Comfortable and sophisticated hotel.

The staff is wonderful, knowledgeable and superb at their work. From the beautiful and very intelligent lady at reception,concierge (the best - all of them but we dealt with Geoffrey) to the waiter who served us at breakfast and the cleaning lady, who was just great. Very committed and enthusiastic people. Thank you so much!

Quality hotel
    • Luxury King Room

Thought the car that we ordered through the concierge to take us to the airport was very expensive. $150. This was charged through the hotel. We were left waiting in car while driver disappeared into hotel. Also he took us through all the neighbourhood routes rather than expressway.

Extremely comfortable bed, plenty of room and great bathroom

Very nice hotel, well located, just needs some refurbishment now.
    • Classic Queen Room

The carpet was in bad condition. Also we needed an engineer late at night to get our heating working. But he was excellent and got it going for us.

We feel it is time to refurbish our room, it is showing it's age.

Would not stay in the NY Sofitel again - not worth the price.
    • Classic Queen Room

Overpriced vastly for everything from room to breakfast. Had even to ask for a bottle of water for my room. No coffee or tea-making facilities. Room was reasonable size but a bit dull and slightly old-fashioned for this chain. The Sofitel in Philadelphia was great in comparison. I was very disappointed this time in NY.

Don't expect the views advertised.
    • Superior Queen Room

Don't expect the views advertised. Nowhere near neither in Queen nor in King room. Had to insist hard not to have a wall across. I know it's NY but there are better opportunities. Overrated and expensive. Better value in the area.

Sofitel NYC, not up to the chain's reputation. For the same price there are 1000 better options.
    • Superior Room with 2 Single Beds

I travel to NYC for the last 10 years at least 3 - 4 times a year. This is by far the worst price / quality hotel I've been in my whole life. I Travel all around the globe. I stay in around 50 to 60 Hotels a year.

Location. Near the spotlight but not on the crowdy places.

The skyview suite is spacious and perfect to stay with a...
    • Skyscraper Suite (3 Adults)

The only challenge with the property is lack of outlets and USB ports.

The skyview suite is spacious and perfect to stay with a family member, wonderful view and lots of room. The staff of the hotel from top to bottom are focused on customer service.

We had a great time. We were in walking distance of great restaurants and Broadway shows.
    • Superior Room with 2 Single Beds

Other than the cost, nothing. It has comparable rates to other similar hotels.

We've stayed in many different hotels on our visits to NYC. I think everyone goes through price shock and you don't see the added taxes until you check out, but that is part of staying there. I would definitely stay at the Sofitel again. It was clean, the staff was great, and had a great midtown location.

Wouldn't necessarily stay at this hotel again

See above

Restaurant was not great - breakfast was like food from a diner Bar Snacks - were from frozen Room service was expensive ie tax and tip AND a delivery fee so didn't use Chairs in room could be more comfy Windows were (are) filthy Hotel was most accommodating regarding my disability. But really - No automatic doors at the entrance?

great location ,nice staff ,would noit stay again need a makeover very dated
    • Luxury King Room

thread bare carpet ,very slippery bath tub,no tea coffee facility in room,terrible bar food ,shrimp tempura was not tempura batter it was greasy regular batter ,stale muffins with room service eggs Benedict,ice machine broken on our floor,mini bar missing items

This is the perfect choice for a couple to explore New York's highlights
    • Luxury King Room

There isn't much at all not to like. The restaurant could be a little less expensive but the food is very good.

The hotel is stylish and very clean and the staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly.

A quiet retreat in the heart of New York City.
    • Luxury King Room

There is nothing negative to report.

Just one block from Times Square and a half block from 5th Avenue. Very clean and quiet. All staff we encountered very polite.

My favourite stay wherever available
    • Classic Queen Room

1.Unlike other SOFITEL hotels around the world , for some reason the bread which is being served is not fresh . Especially the baguettes. No freshness , no crisp, just yesterday’s leftovers... 2. Pillows in my room had a strong smell of undried material not well treated.

Sofitel’s Ambiance is great wherever we travel Love your service and efficiency .

A fantastic stay from beginning to end.
    • Superior Queen Room

Very well appointed room, spotlessly clean. The hotel was in a fantastic location. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. I'll definitely stay here again.

Would definitely come back
    • Classic Queen Room

Restaurant was a bit busy during breakfast and since it's not a self-service can take a while to order , so recommend calling in advance to reserve a table.

Hotel looked very pretty, especially the lobby. Location is excellent- within walking distance of major city attractions. Staff was very professional and kind. Everything went smoothly from check-in to check-out.

Loved every minute of New York and couldn't have picked a better place to stay .
    • Luxury King Room

Can't think of one thing to criticise here

The room was very comfortable, the bathroom was imaculate and well stocked with toiletries i.e.. towels, dressing gowns, slippers, showering items etc. Honestly could not fault anything about this hotel.Free coffee and fresh apples and newspapers available every morning. All staff very courteous particularly the bar staff. Definetly recommend and we will be returning in May next year

Best Hotel Experience Ever
    • Executive Suite

Without exception, the staff was wonderful, from the maid to the desk clerks to the restaurant staff. Best hotel experience we've had in our lives. Can't recommend it high enough. Thanks, Sofitel! We'll be back--and back and back!

Over priced! Poor customer service!
    • Luxury King Room

No customer service Staff too busy talking between themselves! Porters were the most helpful & friendly! No information given just take your money & go basically. Over priced for what you get. No wow factor

gOOD
    • Luxury King Room (3 Adults)

looking at the photos of the hotel we presumed there was a roof top bar available. Later to find out this was the picture of a hotel suite. We were very disappointed as this was the primary reason to booking this hotel

nice staff very clean hotel

Busy bussiness hotel
    • Classic Queen Room

Should ask rooms on higher floors .Breakfast should be Buffe style.there should not any compulsory gratuity system. Cups and Saucers be provide in the room for tea &Not Starbucks take away disposal glasses.

Great location.Good staff .Easy access to all tourist attractions. Easy availability of public transport.

Quite, clean, well situated hotel that I would stay in again but has unexpected room charges.
    • Superior Room with 2 Single Beds

There were several service fees that were added onto the bill at the end that were really just a way to make the basic room rate look lower. Occupancy fee, hotel fee - I can't remember what they were called. When I asked at the front desk while checking out I was told it included "things like internet", but I said that internet was supposed to be free and he said ... "well ... there are other things" ... without really having anything to add. I don't remember how much the extra fees amounted to exactly but it was at least another $30 a day or so. Possibly all the other hotels do this as well but it seems dishonest to me. I would still stay here again, as this was the only thing I didn't like and a quiet hotel is important to me, but they should be more honest with their customers and incorporate all those fees into the price of the room so you know what it really is when you are booking.

Very quiet. No street noise - and I am anal about quiet rooms.

8 days in New York
    • Superior Queen Room

the showers are too small and low. you can feel the hotel is quite old.

food was of good quality. bed was comfortable but a bit short for my length. reception and concierge were very friendly and helpful.

Business trip to NY
    • Classic Queen Room

Well located near Grand Central Station and 5/6 Avenues. Comfortable room, good gym and nice breakfast choice. Pleasant atmosphere and place to stay in New York.

Extremely confortable bed
    • Classic Queen Room

For the price paid, a complimentary bottle of water in the room is a minimum. A coffee set in the room is more than welcome, was missing that

Extremely confortable bed

Great location, awesome staff!
    • Luxury King Suite with Sofa Bed (4 Adults)

Sofa bed was extremely uncomfortable and the foam mattress was very old. We had terrible sore backs. Don't bother trying the restaurant downstairs (gaby). Staff weren't very friendly and the food was undercooked, cold and tasted horrid.

Staff was super friendly, attentative and very courteous. Room was clean and room service was great!

Fabulous Stay
    • Superior Queen Room

Loved the bathroom in our room...with a fresh orchid(!), cleanliness of the hotel, comfy bed, the helpful staff, and the fabulous location. Wonderful lobby. The bar/restaurant manager, Chris, was fantastic...could not have been more friendly and helpful. Wonderful concierge staff. We have stayed in other NYC hotels, but we will be staying at the Sofitel from now on.

Sofitel leads the way.
    • Classic Queen Room

The doorway to our room (1114) was too narrow. There are not enough electrical outlets in the room and no USB charging outlets.

Sofitel means three things to me: delicious coffee, nice bathrooms and excellent service. All three are to be found at Sofitel NY. Edgar, one of the porters was outstanding, going out of his way to help us load luggage into a car a

Comphy like home
    • Superior Queen Room

We were exhausted and jet lagged and the staff and the hotel all around made it comfortable to relax and recover. All our requests and needs were met beyond our expectations

Best Hotel Experience
    • Classic Queen Room

I worked with Javier on the front desk staff who was so very helpful, solving my problem of the bed. I had booked queen but needed twins --- no problem. Great help and friendliness. Breakfast in dining room is excellent!!!!

Short trip in NYC
    • Classic Queen Room

The restaurant staff didn't make me feel like a valued customer.

the room was bigger than expected. Location was perfect and the facilities were even .

Great place, could do a little better!
    • Classic Queen Room

I couldn't get food or drink in the lobby, had to get room service in my room after hours. I couldn't prepare a tea in the morning and had to wait for room service. The light setup was confusing

Great hotel, excellent location, helpful staff.

I have been a repeat client because of good service and ample rooms and now I am afraid to try again
    • Classic Queen Room

I am a return client and this was by far the worst room I have had. Small ,tight and the bathroom sink and bathtub did not drain appropriately. This time we only ate ate once at your restaurant after the theater at 10:30/11:00 pm and were VERY poorly attended by the waiters. There was no cover sheet on the bed therefore we had to use the feather cover that made us turn the air to 67/68 degrees

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Ok for a last minute stay
    • Classic Queen Room

In the lobby we felt like we were in a movie theatre, standing in line to buy tickets. The hotel could really use some loving care.

Room very spacious, felt like from another time, also very quiet.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

French comfort in unbeatable location
    • Classic Queen Room

No tea or coffee in room. Being charged an extra $10 per day when checking out for a room charge? This was not disclosed before booking, or even on check in.

Great comfortable room and hotel. Wifi great. Beautiful street and views. Bed extremely comfortable and all room amenities perfect. Value for money with a secret deal on Booking.com.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Central hotel for family trip
    • Luxury King Suite with Sofa Bed (4 Adults)

A pool would have made my rating for the hotel perfect!

Breakfast included for kids, delicious and great choice! Suite great for 4- double sofa bed for kids in lounge area. Verranda with outdoor furniture lovely, but high on floor 24! All staff so friendly. Great central location. Although a high end hotel we were all made to feel very welcome, even the kids.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Great Location
    • Luxury King Room

They never opened the door when i came in with a stroller. There r 2 heavy doors to come in, sometimes they opened 1 of them.Not very child friendly all over the hotel

Breakfast is great. Staff from breakfast are very friendly.

Great Location and Extremely Friendly Staff.
    • Luxury King Room

Easy access to Times Square, Shopping, Theaters and Restaurants...walking distance to everything. Subway was only two blocks away as well as Grand Central. Really an excellent location. Staff was extremely well trained and courteous. Concierge was fantastic as well.

Browse Sofitel New York traveller photo gallery