Reviews of Newbury Inn 2 stars

1030 Federal Road, Brookfield, CT 06804, USA

#1 of 1 hotels in Brookfield

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

It was close to Elephant Trunk flea market.
    • Suite with Spa Bath

The room smelled musty. Although it looked cleaned it needed to be freshened up. The room must have been empty for a long time. There were spiderwebs and spiders in the jacuzzi, in the bathroom shower and every corner of the room. I will drive to the next town than stay there again.

It was close to Elephant Trunk flea market.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Not what we had hoped for
    • Standard Queen Room

Tiny bathroom with very limited sundries, no tissues, minimal towels and pillows. Breakfast, served from a large closet, bagels, bread, coffee...nothing else, not even juice.

Room was clean.

A place to sleep.
    • Standard Queen Room

Bathroom.....wallpaper peeling off walls. No microwave. Although the room smelled of cleaning, it still smelled musty. Soap bar was so small, not enough for two people. I forgot my shampoo, we could not open the provided packet.

A place to sleep. Close to Elephant Trunk Flea Market.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Only good for a short stay
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The facility should be better and the breakfast could be better. Having fresh fruit is better than the sweet muffins.

The location is strategic and it is good for a short stay only.

Terrible and false advertisement no spa tub

It stated that it had a spa tub and took pictures as if the rooms were spacious they were not and it also stated child friendly they were not the rooms were terrible for children you wouldn't want to leave your kid unattended they gave me and my partner a room separate from our kids ages 6 5 3 and 2 they made it seem as if the rooms were connected when they were not so we were literally uncomfortable the whole stay they also tried to charge extra for housekeeping which is not real housekeeping it is only to spy on guess and they go in the rooms when you are not there as well never again will I choose this hotel

I liked the Chinese food next door

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Rudimentary lodging; overpriced relative to convenience, physical condition, breakfast, staff.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bare-bones breakfast. No adult cereal. Only fake orange juice (Tampico) Hot room, AC off when I arrived at 8:20 pm, despite having reserved at 5:00 pm. (Clerk not receptive to suggestion to switch AC on after a reservation received (before guest arrival) on a very hot day.) Porch and Stairway wood planking rotted / peeling. Needs replacement. Broken / loose door-handles, socket covers; Too few power outlets, inconveniently located. (I had to crawl under a table.) Spider-webs in room (above vanity) Staff & management not friendly, minimally helpful, remote. General Manager's business card referred to him as Mr. R. K. Desk Clerk who checked me in at 8:20 pm 8/6 and out again between 9-11 am 8/7 (same guy: Wage/Hour law violation?) refused to provide me Mr. R.K.'s full name.

Moderate price, safe parking. Clerk suggestion for supper helpful but a map-handout would be better and more helpful. Clerk kindly provided a bag of ice from ice-maker for my cooler in the morning.

It was just awful
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The place smelled like mold and bathroom was flooded. When I asked for another room, they came and. Soaked water in towels and told me sorry they’re sold out. I came for a wedding so had no option but complete waste of money and spoiled my mood

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Convenient for flea market down road
    • Suite with Spa Bath

SECURITY DEPOSIT WASNT DISCLOSED ON BOOKING. COM 150 BUCKS ROOM DATED WAS CLEAN THO

JUST DATED OUTSIDE AND IN COMFORTABLE FOR SHORT STAY LAKE FRONT RESTAURANT DOWN ROAD BEAUTIFUL

A nice place to look at and spend night however staff destroys comfort

No beach to be found near property as described. The day staff (gentleman) was very unprofessional asking how much food we were going to eat. As described the day of check-in the next day didn't receive full deposit in return. There was no damage to room to facilitate charge at all. The gentleman was just antagonistic. We rented two rooms that is all that was good.

The rooms were very good

The location was perfect for attending the Elephant Trunk...
    • Standard Queen Room

The wallpaper was old and dirty and was being held on the wall with numerous staples. The door to our room was very uninviting with lots of peeling paint. The landscaping contained more weeds than plants or flowers.

The location was perfect for attending the Elephant Trunk Flea Market.

The one night stay was good and would recomend others to stay.
    • Standard Queen Room

Everyone is different we thought that the bed was a little hard.

It was clean ..easy to find and we parked in front of our room. Its a quiet location we loved that. And of course the complementary coffee and bagel with cream cheese and apple hit the spot in the morning for my breakfast .

One of the better places I've ever stayed as a whole.
    • Standard Queen Room

The only negative thing I can say is our air conditioner wasn't working properly. Everything else was great.

It was very clean, the staff was very friendly, and it was very quiet there. If needed I would stay there again without a second thought.

Asked for but didn’t get first floor, no elevator and having...
    • Standard Queen Room

Asked for but didn’t get first floor, no elevator and having to carry suitcases up, two seniors. Not good. The breakfast was bagels or croissants and butter, or fruit loops. No fruit, or protein at all. No ice machine or ice bucket to transport some from office.

Neat, clean hotel.
    • Standard Queen Room

I arrived late and the door key was left on the door as the office was closed. I'm not sure I like that idea. The TV remote didn't work and with no office staff I couldn't get a replacement.

The room was neat and clean and the property well kept.

The staff was very friendly.
    • Standard Queen Room

The room was outdated and didn't seem very clean, there were stained blankets and ill-fitting sheets. Ceiling in the bathroom had severe water damage, tub was dirty, showerhead desperately needs replacing and very few toiletries were provided. Additionally, it is very loud, you can hear people going up and down the stairs and even talking, my room was directly adjacent to the office and I could hear the phone ringing all night long.

The staff was very friendly.

Stingy managers and rundown rooms
    • Standard Queen Room

Old fixtures. Shower took 30 minutes to warm up. Toilet seat cover did not fit the bowl. Stained chairs. Disgusting ironing board and leaking iron. Worst of all, the owner tried to charge us for makeup on the towels, which he said were too dirty. We proceeded to wash all two of them in the sink with water and soap and brouGht them to his desk sparkling clean. We then proceeded to check out early and headed to a Hilton.

The rooms looked quaint at first glance.

The bad outweighed the good
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff was not on the same page and less amenities than less expensive rooms. We were charged incidentals for one of the sheets getting a small stain. I will never stay here again.

Beds were comfy but that's about it.

It was fine for the one night.
    • Standard Queen Room

I just didn't like having to climb the stairs but next week I have a ground floor room.

I didn't know there was continental breakfast. I am staying again next weekend and will check out the breakfast.

Basic, low-price rural motel with large clean rooms,...
    • Standard Queen Room

The room was very cold when we arrived because management does not turn on the heating until clients arrive. The shower-head in our room did not work properly. Breakfast was very basic.

Basic, low-price rural motel with large clean rooms, convenient for Brookfield, New Milford and Sherman.

Not a place I would recommend or return to until the management becomes hospitable.
    • Standard Queen Room

Shower drain was clogged and I had to switch rooms twice to find and internet connection that worked. The final room had a vent in the bathroom, which was falling down from the ceiling. An electrical outlet was exposed; some of the lights did not work; the curtains were falling off their tracks; mgmt. didn't give any soap and the shower head was broken as well making it difficult to manage the spray. There were not enough electrical sockets as well. Children at desk at check in not an adult.

One of the worst experiences in our travels.
    • Standard Queen Room

Nothing was like it was portrayed on the web site. Tiny room. Very old with a ceiling that had been leaking, no continental breakfast offered--only coffee, no wifi that we could tell. Would not let us cancel our reservations for the next 2 nights. That is in dispute with our credit card company at this time.

Convenience to place we needed to be the next day.no

I won't do it again on the same conditions
    • Standard Queen Room

I asked for a small fridge in the room, they didn't get me although many rooms are empty, they could've shifted one. On check out they charged me full day without any extra hour extension. Very greedy

Location was convenient for my business purpose

convienient, comfortable, good value
    • Standard Queen Room

The only issue is the office closes from 10 pm until 7 am. If you arrive late you're stuck.

The motel is located conveniently to the area we were going to see.

The facility is family owned(They all live and work on the property). Therefore they could have
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

There were no eggs, they had white bread that could be toasted, a few muffins, bagels, cereal, coffee, orange juice, and milk. It was not organized well. Our first room was not checked before we were given the room. The beds squeaked because they were sitting on wood and not actual frames. The room was not spot checked prior to our arrival. The second day when we left the room and came back over 7 hours later the room at not been cleaned. They moved us to a newer room for the inconvenience which was greatly appreciated. The towels and toiletries need to be upgraded. The towels were not have an average size and very thin (Cheaply made). And the toiletries left little to be desired. They were small rip open containers. This facilitt is family owned (They all live and work on the property). Therefore they could have done a little more to make the guest feel slightly more comfortable in an establishment that is supposed to be an quint Inn.

The location was very nice, it was very close to the main road however set back enough to not hear the traffic.

Okay was not worth the money I paid for!
    • Standard Queen Room

No tissue box in room No coffee maker No chairs to sit outside on back porch Not enough pillows on a queen size mattress No plastic cups to get a drink of water

The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was a good size.

The hotel was a nice find if what you need is a good nights sleep and to be on your way.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

There were some really rude folks who decided that it was ok to stand outside and loudly converse until 1 AM.

Basic accommodations - but clean and comfortable. Breakfast was scanty - juice punch, coffee, some muffins and cereal (with milk) but OK for the room price.

Good, value option with a Chinese restaurant next door.
    • Standard Queen Room

The breakfast offering was limited and not very inviting.

Conveniently located, but with limited local facilities. Room was clean and comfortable. The adjacent Chinese restaurant is a little non-conventional, but offers good, more home-style cuisine.

Very disappointing
    • Standard Queen Room

The air conditioner was very noisy, floors were damp, room cleaning was inconsistent and the complementary breakfast was powder coffee creamer, cereal and milk from a jug left out. When owner was made aware of the noisy air conditioner he became very defensive and claimed that it was normal. He did offer a 10% discount but when we checked out he "changed" his mind. Will never go there again!

Would not recommend.

Very out dated, not very clean. Booked through booking.com, upon arrival staff said they only had 1 out of the 2 rooms i booked in their system and they were sold out. After going back and forth staff was able to provide the rooms I originally booked over a month ago. When asked for an additional towel, there was 3 of us in the room and only 2 towels, the staff responded they were sold out so they did not have additional towels and would have to ask the manager. When we were given an additional towel, we were asked when we planned to use it! Totally absurd.

Came in town to hit the elephants trunk flea market and it was less than a mile from the hotel 👍🏻
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was no microwave in the room and the room for breakfast was small.

And a very good restaurant within walking distance. The staff was very friendly and the bed was very comfortable.

This place is just adequate, on the edge of not great, and we are very tolerant travelers
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not super clean. My towel was frayed and stained. Should have been discarded long go. Don't even bother with eating breakfast here. Sweet cereals and muffins- that was it. They shouldn't even bother.

Nice lady check in. Convenient location, very close to Elephants Trunk.

Good in a pinch
    • Standard Queen Room

"Breakfast" was the worst example Ive ever seen. No protein. No fruit. Just some muffins and bread and 2 choices of sugary cold cereal. Coffee was good though. No lobby or sitting area younwould want to hang out in

Room was large and clean

Very good for what I paid.
    • Standard Queen Room

Wifi. Even after I asked for the pssword and loaded it onto my computer. The connections were mediocre at best.

Everything was clean and as a young woman traveling alone I felt comfortable. Staff was helpful and very friendly and attentive.

Clean beds, and bathroom.

Breakfast and coffee were not ready till 7 am and we needed to leave at 6:30 am

Clean beds, and bathroom. Cups and ice tub available, need to go to office for ice.Breakfast

Convenient location, relatively clean comfortable rooms, friendly staff, lousy choices 4 breakfast

They shouldn't be listing that breakfast is included. A walk-in closet converted to hold a coffee pot, some bagels, bread and cereal is all that it was ... nothing there most people in my party of 7 could eat at all ... we had to go elsewhere for breakfast.

Jacuzzi worked nicely

I know how to open a door!!!
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our key would not work after the first time, we were afraid to go out after 10pm because the office closed and we would have been locked out. The office person was getting annoyed because we had to keep going in to tell her the key wouldn't work and she kept saying do it slowly like we were stupid and didn't know how to open the door. The hot water took a good 10 minutes to heat up, the sink was very slow draining and the fridge wasn't cold and our food went bad and our towels had holes in them with stains.

The beds where comfortable, and the location was good off the main road

Good night's sleep.
    • Standard Queen Room

Toiletries were sparse. Only one tiny soap. Bad shampoo. "Continental breakfast" was virtually non-existent. Coffee was bad. Juice was powdered orange re-constituted. Bad!!

Bed was comfortable; room was clean.

Just ok.
    • Standard Queen Room

The rooms are not at all what is pictured. The one we stayed in had wallpaper buckling and tape holding it up. The bedspread had several burn holes and stains on it. There was a dirty hand print on the wall and stains on the lamp. An outlet was pulling off the wall. The shower head was shooting an extra stream of water out the side.

The staff was friendly. The grounds were nice.

OK if you need a bed and don't want to spend much
    • Standard Queen Room

The staff only had a reservation for one night when I showed up, they said they never got the changed reservation from Booking.com. Lucky they had rooms. In addition, they "could not" print out a bill for me at the end of my stay, saying I had to get that from Booking.com. I didn't like that. I went to my room, key didn't work. Staff told me I ruined the key by putting next to my cell phone - but the key never left my hand, was never near anything. She tried it - and Huh- yes the door didn't work. They had to put me in a different room. Recurring theme - each day either one or both keys didn't work, at random times. I had to make sure they worked before 9:30-10pm because the staff isn't there after that time, so heaven help you if you need anything. No one even answers the phone. The TV didn't work the first night, the next morning they told me there was a light switch on the wall that needed to be "on" - it was on, so not the problem - so they promised someone would come to fix it. Hours later I tried to diagnose the issue myself, found that they had plugged a refrigerator in to that switch-connected outlet and when I exchanged the plugs, the TV came on. No one ever checked in with me about the TV. The wireless internet was off and on, and very weak, after the TV didn't work I tried to use my ipad and Amazon video - no way, the internet connection could not support it. So I was stuck at 10pm with nothing to do. The accommodations were not the greatest- they really should spend some money and upgrade the the towels, toiletries and paint the walls and trim or something, maybe if the accommodations were better they would get better clients and could then charge more to make the money to support it. It was OK if you just want a bed and a TV - the website I found said coffeemaker in room - definitely not. Sadly I won't be going back, and I'm about as easy to please as they come.

The location, free coffee in the morning, lots of TV channels (after I got the TV to work). Easy to get to, lots of free parking.

Saving grace
    • Standard Queen Room

They were our saving grace! My husband & I had been driving all day stuck in traffic trying to get through New Jersey & New York. Needless to say it was very stressful & we drove till 11pm until we found this hotel. When we got there, the front door had a sign on it saying, "Closed from 10pm-7am." However, there was a phone sitting at a table just outside the door which said, "Call for assistance." When we called the extension, a man immediately answered & said he would be right down to help us. I was shocked that they woke up to accommodate us at such a late hour & with such willing attitudes. We were able to get a great night's sleep. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean, there were plenty of towels, & a nice shower. It was everything we needed. There was also a nice light breakfast provided the next morning that lasted until 10am. We were very impressed with the service we received & would stay there again if we were passing by.

Not worth the money
    • Standard Queen Room

Toilet was broken. No fridge No microwave Towels were not soft Could have been cleaned better

It was nice looking from the outside and spacious inside.

Will not go there again.
    • Standard Queen Room

The woman was trying to fax something to my father who was supposed to be paying for the room and he did not have a fax machine I'm not sure who does anymore I drive 2 hours out of my way for this and didn't stay. But the smell was awful just awful and she was on a personal phone call for 2 minutes before she gave me her attention

The price it was cheap

Creature comforts and amenities lacking.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Needed to ask front desk clerk for ice. Breakfast was not self serve, you were asked what you wanted even though this was supposed to be included in our room rate, it was not accessable. No phone book or any other literature in room to identify local eateries or attractions. The worst were the towels. Scratchy ( to the point that I actually opened a wound that had already healed ) and very small. Bathroom could use a serious update. Large amount of mosquito type things behind curtains, both dead and alive. No fridge available, no microwave. One cup coffee maker needs serious cleaning inside. Coffee brand offered was extremely strong. Luckily, no bedbugs or we would have left immediately. Upon check in we were greeted by a couple seated at what seemed to be a kitchen table, and a seated person at the desk. She was nice but didn't stand to greet us. Front door was very dirty around handle area. Desk area dimly lit, exception was outside of room where light stayed on all night attracting many many bugs. Lights in bathroom brightened over time, seemed to need warm up time. No fan to disperse steam, not that there was much of that. When we asked the Asian lady at front desk for restaurants near by, we were dirrected to the Chinese eatery next door. She did however give general dirrections to other choices. Would I stay there again? probably not.

The proximity of this hotel to where we were going was the best thing. Front desk woman was very nice. Easy in and out, ample parking but obviously not filled to capacity.

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

Quaint.
    • Standard Queen Room

Small breakfast option, not bad for the size of the facilities. But not what you'd expect when "continental breakfast". Also, we got in late and management knew that but heater was not on. Given the temp outside turning on the heat would have been appreciated.

Quaint. Not far from the interstate. Friendly manager when I went in to get breakfast

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

First time in Connecticut was a success
    • Standard Queen Room

everything was great, It was super clean and he staff was extra friendly. As i checked out in the morning, one of the staff members offered me a cup of coffee to bring with me on my travels. It is really close to everything, within 10 minutes or less. It was great!

• Reviewed: 21 October 2018

The room was clean
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

No fridge in room, no tissue in room

The room was clean

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Needed some improvement-towels & washcloths very small...

Needed some improvement-towels & washcloths very small & thin. Bathroom door knob needs fixed. New curtains would be nice

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Convenient, clean and cozy.
    • Standard Queen Room

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Receptionist was friendly and there is a Chinese restaurant...
    • Standard Queen Room

Hotel looks a bit run down but the rooms were fine.

Receptionist was friendly and there is a Chinese restaurant next door.

It was a convenient location

It was a convenient location

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

Good Location, Very good and comfortable hotel. Excellent Staff.
    • Standard Queen Room

Very pleasant county location and easily accessible.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Clean place to stay for an overnighter
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Continental breakfast was just okay.

Beds were very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

BREAKfast was skimpy

BREAKfast was skimpy

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Very well located for what I needed.
    • Standard Queen Room

Very well located for what I needed.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

5.6
    Adequate for a one night stopover, but tired and unloved property.
    • Standard Queen Room

Curtains hanging off rails, bedding not ironed, table light in room not working, terrible "music" in very basic cramped breakfast foyer

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

cockroaches in room

cockroaches in room

Moldy inadequate property booking should NOT represent
    • Standard Queen Room

Moldy, damp property! Broken furniture, stained lamp shades, ripped blankets etc it felt like a meth house

Great character hotel, friendly welcome and such a cute...

Couldn’t find fault

Great character hotel, friendly welcome and such a cute place.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

While it noted it included breakfast - there really...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

While it noted it included breakfast - there really wasn't anything other than a bagel and some bread - kinda disappointing

Good stay at Newbury Inn close Frank Pepe's
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Need fridges in every room and 24 accessible ice machine. TV too small.

Friendly, efficient staff, clean room.

location was great
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast was just a slice of bread in a closet,The tvs are the smallest you can buy .The price goes up more every time i stay

location was great

Location good to visit friends
    • Standard Queen Room

Old, kind of dingy, not too clean and furniture stained. Breakfast was weak.

Location good to visit friends

There are other hotels in the area you should check out before you book this one.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The roaches and the very minimal breakfast.

Proximity to Elephant’s Trunk Flea market!
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast needs to start earlier

Proximity to Elephant’s Trunk Flea market!

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

All rooms should have fridges with freezer compartments but don't. Also should be ice machine in common area.

Filthy, toilet seat to small, sheets ,blankets,mattress pad, wrong size, etc. cigerettes butts .
    • Standard Queen Room

Hello, I have photos that I took. I will share them with you, to stop any one else from going there.

Everything was nice.

The toilet in our room was not in proper working order and...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The toilet in our room was not in proper working order and the continental breakfast and coffee wasn't good. Other than that, it was a good stay.

The place was clean but dated
    • Suite with Spa Bath

Towels very thin and could have smelled better.

The place was clean but dated

The room was very clean.
    • Standard Queen Room

The towels were small. The breakfast was SMALL, don't plan on it being your actual breakfast.

The room was very clean.

I'll be back.
    • Standard Queen Room

Clean and comfy. Fast wifi, could not hear passing traffic. The owner check me in, very accamodating.

Very disappointed

Bed bug found in bed in the morning. Showed picture to front desk staff who provided a discount on stay.

Overall it is clean, for the rest it is cheap so you get what you paid for
    • Standard Queen Room

Bed not confortable, breakfast very poor

It is clean.

Room was clean, up to date.

Our TV didn't work.

Room was clean, up to date.

I would stay again for sure
    • Standard Queen Room

Probably the carpet could use a good shampoo

Comfy and clean room