Reviews of Hotel Newton 3 stars

2528 Broadway, Upper West Side, New York, NY 10025 , USA

#334 of 415 hotels in New York

4.7

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

They charged for Internet. That was easily solved because there are two Starbucks within one block. However, every other hotel I've been in recently has offered free Internet. It was really a unpleasant surprise

I liked the location and the staff.

The Hotel Newton is very conveniently located within a block of a subway stop in a great neighborhood along Broadway with lots of helpful stores and neat restaurants. There is a great cafe one door away which serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Our room was clean, good-sized for Manhattan hotels, quiet, and reasonably-priced by Manhattan standards. I have stayed there at least six times over the last 30 years and have always had a good experience.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We didnt know that the standard room didnt have its own Bathroom! I thought that being a hotel and NOT a hostel, a provate bathroom was standard. We had to pay almost 60 usd just to get a room with its own bathroom.

The staff granted our request for a room upgrade but of course we had to pay for it.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Only issues were that it feels a little dated and there is only one elevator.

This was my second stay at the Hotel Newton. The beds are comfortable and our room was very clean. Its location is perfect for anyone visiting Columbia University, which is only three subway stops straight up Broadway. When exiting the 116th Street station, go right for Columbia and left for Barnard College. Next door to Hotel Newton, the Manhattan Diner is convenient for breakfast and offers great coffee. Parking is only 1.5 blocks away. There's also a pharmacy on the same block. We enjoyed the Italian restaurant Acqua NYC, one block up on the corner of 95th and Amsterdam.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Much cleaner than the hotel next door which I had previously stayed in. Beds were a bit stiff but comfortable. Staff was friendlier. Hotel appeared to be more updated. Hallways were better lit than the previous hotel I stayed at. I would definitely stay here again if my finances allowed.

• Superior Queen Room

The bed was very hard, very uncomfortable. I felt the sheets irritated my skin. I sleep on my back and got some pimples on my legs and butt, not sure if was the soap they use to wash the sheets or bed bugs... the carpet was dinghy looks like 30 years old, I was scare to walk bare feet and get a disease. The air conditioning filth, I don’t think they ever changed the air filter on it, when I turned on it exhaled a awful odor like mold and was spelling out black debris... I suffer of asthma and allergies and I had to use my inhaler very often when at the room. The room furniture is outdated and the room is very small, I felt claustrophobic. I won’t recommend this Hotel. Really not worthy the price I paid for.

They let me checkin early. Location was good, very close to the subway. And restaurants, grocery store nearby.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Evening noise from nearby guests.

Front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful with directions and recommendations. Super convenient location to subway, food, etc.

• Superior Queen Room

The room was small and too expensive for just one night. The bed was comfortable, but they could have better pillows. There was not enough space in the bathroom to put toiletries.

It was in a quiet area and walking distance (about 20 mins) to the Beacon Theater. Subway station # 96 is on the corner, making downtown accesible (12 minutes if you take the express train). There are plenty of places close by to get a bite. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Well the room I was given there's a construction site right next to it so at 4:30am they started working got awaken by the noise and didn't sleep after that.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Only thing I can say was our bed was to firm for me...everyone else snoozed away.

Staff was very nice. Hotel was clean and just what I expected. Traveled with my granddaughter whom is 7 and felt safe and well taken care of. Would definitely stay again.

• Superior Queen Room

The facility is old, street noise is clear, and the staff is really unhelpful! The heat radiator in my room is broken and the room is sooo cold, even much colder than the corridor. But when I asked the front desk they said the guy incharge of this went home and they can't do anything about it. And the man at front desk told me"you can use the blanket in your room", like it's nothing serious! What's worse, the next morning they can construction work inside the hotel, right next to my room at 8 in the morning! The hammer and drill made me so upset and can't stay for one more second! There's no compensation at all for all the stuffs I suffered.

The location is good, but it's the only bonus.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The room smelled really bad. A mix of stale and smoke or something of the sort. We asked for a replacement room but they said that is the only room they have.

The room was big and the location was pretty good

The Manhattan bar next door perfect for meals, especially breakfasts. Hotel ideally located for the subway. Staff lovely, always happy to help. Excellent value would return next time in NYC.

• Standard Single Room

When I checked in the person on the front desk was argumentative and did not listen to my concern when I asked if breakfast was included in my bill. I showed him the email stating that breakfast would be added. He told me it had not and then proceeded to argue with me about the email that I received saying that it would be added. I showed him the email which he ignored. He was also reluctant to give me information about the subway or other means of transportation while in NYC. I had to ask for it. He asked me if I wanted my credit card billed at check in or when I left. I told him to bill me when I checked out. He proceeded to bill me when I checked in.

I loved the bed upgrade which I was not expecting. The room was quiet & clean. Staff was courteous, helpful and went out of their way to make my stay comfortable. Several of the staff, recognizing that I had a disability, offered to bring my luggage and backpack to my room.

Very pleasantly surprised. Was traveling alone for pleasure. Needed something that was affordable while still meeting basic needs. The hotel exceeded basic needs for sure.It was clean, safe, in a great location (literally across from the subway) and a great deal for the money!

• Superior Queen Room

We arrived and the lift was broken. Were given the 8th floor until the next day. The next day we had to walk around in the rain with nothing open (Sunday so places opened later) until we were given a room on the 2nd floor. Ended up full a cold and bad chest rest of the week from 6 hours of being soaking wet. Were given free wifi for the week but this did not make for ended up ill. Also asked to use the safety deposit box but due to renovations we were told it was not available so had to take a change with cash in the room

Cleaners did a brilliant job. Very close to 96th Street subway and just 15 min walk to Central Park. Just 2 stops on express subway to Times Square so very handy.

Elevator was being repaired and we were not informed ahead of time. This should have been reflected in our getting a discount

Location, price, staff and cleanliness

• Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Unfortunately, during my stay, the elevator wasn't working. Not a big deal as I didn't have a lot to carry, however, the staff offered to bring my things up on check-in and down on check out. The lack of a bathroom became an uncomfortable issue. A few times I needed to use it at night, it was in use. Another time, whoever used it didn't clean up well afterward, and it's just strange not being able to use the restroom on demand.

The staff was exceeding helpful and friendly. The room was always clean, and reasonably comfortable. The proximity to travel conveniences was pretty good as well. Having a diner literally next door, the subway a half block away, a drug store down the block, and a coffee shop across the street are ideal.

• Superior Queen Room

The mattress in our room could have done with being replaced it was sagging in the middle, otherwise everything else was excellent, great location next to the 1 line and great choice of restaurants near by. A Diner, Chinese, Spanish and Texas bbq all with 3 minutes walk. And McDonald's and Subway if thats to your taste. Would definitely book this hotel again for New York

• Superior Queen Room

The staff were very quick to respond to my request. The room was too cold because the air conditioner unit was in the window and there was a draft coming in. When I brought it to their attention, they fix the problem before I returned to my room later in the day. The location was very convenient with subway access right across the street and plenty of places locally to get something to eat. The only down side was that the elevators were out of order but the staff carried my luggage up the 4 flights and back down when I was checking out. Because of this inconvenience they provided me with free Wi-Fi access. I would stay here again.

They started to work on the modernization of the elevator during our stay, so we had to climb the stairs from the second half of our stay (and it is going to stay like this until March). Wifi is expensive.

It was really close to the subway station, which was an also an express station, so it was like 5-10 minutes to get into Midtown. The room was really clean and as we spent our days in the city, its size was ok.

• Superior Queen Room

The elevator is on repair. This wasn't a problem for me, but might be for other guests. I must say that due to this inconvenience the hotel provided free wifi, which I appreciated. Under different circumstances, I think it's primitive to charge USD 5 for wifi in a hotel in 2018. Advice to the staff: if an unknown person tries to have access to the room of a guest at 5 a.m. without her consent don't take it too lightly because "people go stupid sometimes". Call the police. Thank you.

I only used the hotel to shower and sleep, for I left early every morning and didn't come back until night. So in these terms it was exactly what I was looking for: comfortable bed, clean room and quiet place.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

On arriving we were told that our room was on the 7th floor and that the elevator was out of order. We were given conflicting information about the elevator as we were told it had only broken the week before however the health and safety documents clearly stated it had been out of order since December. Sadly we had to change hotels as my friend has recently had two lots of back surgery and although they moved us to the 5th floor it was in no way practical. The evelvator is not due to be fixed any time soon. People should be made aware of this when choosing a hotel

The room was a great size

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The elevator is broken for a long time and they did not divulge that. I was put on 6th floor and it was difficult to manage.

Vintage atmosphere and very clean right next to subway stop good price

• Superior Queen Suite

Elevator was not working during our stay. This is a temporary thing, and staff offered to help haul bags. Rooms are dated, but we never mind this since we love the homey charm.

Super friendly and helpful staff, clean rooms, very convenient to subway, in a safe neighborhood. A classic diner downstairs with really good food!

• Superior Queen Suite

Elevator was out of service the whole time we were there. So we had to climb 9 flights of stairs every time we wanted to get to our room.

The staff was great!!

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was very hot in the middle of Winter with no way of controlling it. Also the mattress sagged in the middle and needed to be replaced .

Very close to Subway as well as restaurants , grocery store and pharmacy.

The shower head needed adjustment. The water was getting on the floor.

Great location! Near the subway and a great market. It was clean and comfortable. The rooms were adequate in size and the staff was super friendly.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was extremely outdated, also very uncomfortable hot due to water pipes in room which also kept you awake.

Location, near main subway line, great little local places to eat, nice walk to Central Park

• Superior Queen Room

Whilst it was adequate we did have issues with the heating which is far from ideal in November in Manhattan. It is annoying that the hotel did not have free wifi

Location is great and the bed was comfy. It had a huge fridge and microwave in the room as well.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The decor is not modern or sleek it is rather tired and dreary. Next time they decide to upgrade I would suggest engaging a professional decorator.

Though this hotels is not fancy it is well situated on the upper West side near the 96th Street 1 2 3 subway on Broadway which is both a local and express stop. The beds are comfortable. There is a diner next door, as well as many restaurants and shops near to the hotel making it a very convenient place to stay. Though the staff seemed a bit serious they were all very helpful. Nice size refrigerator in the room I had which was a queen, queen with a private bathroom with a shower tub combo.

• Superior Queen Room

Location was very good. Subway was a 2 minute walk and had direct subway lines downtown. The hotel was very comfortable. We did not purchase breakfast but there is a very nice diner right beside the hotel. I would defintely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Deluxe Junior Suite

The beds were a bit hard but not the worst I’ve ever experienced in a hotel. We had some key card issues the last day of our stay which was annoying but it happens.

The location was excellent being right by the red line which can get you into the heart of Manhattan in just a few stops. The staff was very nice and helped us out whenever we had an issue.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

The bed was a little too hard for me.

I like the fact the hotel is close to the subway. It makes it so easy to get around. The front desk staff was very friendly (don't believe what you hear about New Yorkers) and helpful. The only complaint I have is I thought the bed was too hard. While the bath room was small, it was very clean and everything we needed was provided. I thought for New York, the room was a good size. There was a microwave and refrigerator even though we did not use either.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff weren’t very friendly but they did help me to book a taxi to the airport.

The room was bigger than I expected and the location was excellent. It was right next to the subway, shops were near and plenty of places to eat. The diner next door was particularly good.

We didn't choose the breakfast because is too expensive, CNY85 for 1 breakfast and the room is very small.

near subway station without 5min by walking, that is convenience when we back in evening.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

air conditioning unit was noisy, not much hot water in the shared bathroom if you shower after 10pm. Charged the wrong credit card which was inconvenient but they gave me free wifi for my stay.

Comfortable bed, decent sized room for NYC, great location only 2 mins from the subway at 79th ST/Broadway.

Booking.com‘s website allowed you to include a breakfast for $13.50 however when I got to the hotel they did not offer breakfast. Some confusion whether I had paid for it or not.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Night staff was somewhat rude. Bathroom was communal, down the hallway, which wasn't clear in the description, but at least it was kept very clean. Also, no free WiFi.

Location was great. Room was very clean.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Sheets hadn't been washed had to call at 3 am after are flight landed right before that to have them change rooms because there was garbage and hair in sheets

Pillows were a bit hard, overall room a bit worn, but more than fine.

The staff was especially helpful, one gentleman was so attentive and helpful with my car and parking. I would definitely come back.

The old iron radiator in the room was charming and well-maintained, but not exactly easy to regulate. The first night I couldn't get it on at all, so the very helpful staff came up and got it on for me the next day. But then it WAY overheated the small room and I had to turn it back off. It's all or nothing in terms of heat, as far as I could tell.

This lovely little hotel was perfect for my needs. The room was comfortable and well-appointed, with a desk, dresser, closet, and very nice bathroom in addition to a small fridge/microwave combo and a coffeemaker. The bed and linens were very nice, as were the toiletries provided. The staff were wonderful as well, and it was in a great location for me - a 20-minute walk or 3-minute subway ride to Columbia.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The bed was hard as a rock so it was hard for me to fall asleep. The vending machine wasn't supplied with what I wanted.

I liked the neighborhood, the upper west side is very calm compared to other parts of Manhattan. It was relatively close to the things I visited. The room was clean and larger than most in NYC.

• Superior Queen Room

The window wouldn't close properly and the weather was really cold while we were there. The 1930's radiator actually steamed,though it did get hot. No breakfast but a brilliant diner next door which did wonderful breakfast. You had to pay for Wi Fi which is strange as there is free Wi Fi all over New York.

Comfortable room , clean and quirky. Decorated in 1930's style. Some of the stuff was original, check out the heating system.

• Standard Single Room

no chair in room - no drawers or wardrobe to place shirts, underwear etc. Pillows uncomfortable. Coffee machine electrical cord too short. Staff needs to smile!! Air-conditioner very noisy and windows hard to open. But location is very good just a few metres away from underground station. Also the room was very clean.

• Superior Queen Room

The staff at the counter do not create any relationship with the people coming to stay. Only wanted my payment details and that was the greatest interaction we had with them

Location is very god with the subway very close to make your way back to time square or penn station. Mc donalds across the road and a shop right beside the hotel, central park also very close

• Standard Single Room

This hotel is old-fashion. The room was extremely small and over-heated. You'll have to pay for the wifi and for the luggage storage!

Well situated in front of a metro station. Quiet area. Bars and restaurants around.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

i can highly recommend the place you get a lot for your bucks .....it s great area and run by proffessinal nice people one of the best hotels i stayed in new york...... all the best stefan

• Superior Queen Room

Mattress on the bed should change it because it sinks. Despite having made a reservation with private bathroom, the first night I had to accept a room with shared bathroom because they had a group that did not leave the hotel and took my reservation

Location. Near to a metro station.

• Standard Single Room

Love this hotel- Always clean, staff is friendly, location is right in from of the 96th/Broadway station to catch the 1,2 or 3. Great neighborhood. Love the quiet lull of the subway underneath. At first I thought it was a luggage cart. Not loud- just kind of background when you turn everything off.

• Superior Queen Room

The bed was comfortable but it squeaked (a lot) every time I turned or moved.

The staff at the Newton are fabulous. It has a great sort of family feel. It is well located near to the subway. I enjoyed my stay.

• Deluxe Junior Suite

The Staff was very accommodating; answered all our questions; directed us on subway lines to take for our destinations. We had the same housekeeper throughout our stay and she did an exceptional job. No complaints at all about our stay at Hotel Newton. Will stay there again on our next trip.

• Superior Queen Room

Weren't allocated the room we booked for the first night, although the staff were able to sort and make amends

Great location right next to the 123 subway lines, short walk from Central Park. Rooms were comfy

• Deluxe Junior Suite

Front desk personnel - not honoring "guaranteed" price from Booking.com. A/C didn't work properly. Slow elevator. Construction noise next door (not the fault of the hotel).

Location near Columbia University.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The bedding was very much on the firm side.

Terrific, quiet location. Subway and bus corner at the corner. Clean & attractive room was a good bit larger than expected - there were 4 adults sharing two queen beds and not over-crowded.

• Superior Queen Room

There is a free safety deposit box available at reception which is good (although we would prefer it to be in the bedroom). The rooms need tea and coffee facilities, not just coffee.

This is the second time we stayed in this hotel (2005 and 2017) and we found it a very pleasant and reasonably priced hotel. The staff are very courteous and the rooms are of a reasonable size, clean and comfortable. Only complaint was from the wife as there was no tea making facility but there was coffee which the husband enjoyed every morning. We were attending a wedding and the hotel was located near to the venue. It is a bit out of the centre of Manhattan but it has very handy and easy transport links. The Manhattan Diner next door is great for food and service. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Did not get the room we paid for. Employee told us that there was an issue with our room and that we had no choice to accept two individual rooms with a SHARED BATHROOM in the hallway for our first night (2 day stay) instead of the Deluxe Double Queen room we were expecting... Gave us free wifi for the inconvenience (value of $12 total). Really unacceptable, almost ruined our weekend. After insisting for some type of compensation, they took off $50 on the bill which apparently represented the rate difference. This offer is completely ridiculous considering it was their issue and we had reserved our room 6 months before. In the end, they lost no money but managed to ruin their reputation with their bad customer service. $50 off is insulting, we visit New York twice a year so they lost the chance to convince us that they care about their customers. Wifi is not even free in the lobby.

The hotel is as described and lobby and rooms are clean. Right in front of subway station

• Superior Queen Room

The rooms are small, but if you know that coming in, then you are not disappointed.

The location cannot be beat! Tons of restaurants, subway station on the corner, local pharmacy next door, a couple blocks from Central Park, and it was a safe neighborhood. We came for a romantic weekend in NYC to see two shows and the hotel location was convenient to everything. I would definitely go back here.

• Superior Queen Room

Everything was excellent! The reason why I had to book through Booking.com is the hotel initially told me there were no vacancies. I booked a room with a shared bathroom thinking that was it. My cousin who stayed there too and booked a room WITH a bathroom, after I booked my room, prompted me to go back to the site. It was then that I found the PERFECT room. Thanks!

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was a bit too small.

The location of the hotel was great, 1 minute away from an express subway station( you will get very fast to times square) and about 15-20 minutes from central park. Our room was clean and the staff was friendly and polite.

• Standard Single Room

Corridor smelt of urine, room smelt of damp and comforter and blanket for bed need burning (they were beyond recovery via washing machine). Worst value hotel I've ever stayed in.

Easy access to subway

• Superior Queen Room

Wanted my daughter to be able to check in before I got there. Hotel said to contact booking.com and have them add her to the reservation. Did that but apparently someone dropped the ball because even though it was all paid for they turned her away when she got there.

Great place for breakfast just next door.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Location is not very good, even for Uber drivers is hard to get there. Is right in the middle between the good and the bad sector of Broadway.

Bedrooms are wide and big enough, very silent good for sleep. Good internet service

• Superior Queen Room

Very tired wall paper and carpets in bedrooms and communal areas. Could really do with redecoration.

The stars of this hotel are the cleaners. Very clean, beautifully fresh clean bathrooms and bed linens. Very close to the station and all other facilities, next to an express subway station, so in town within minutes. felt very safe at night because of being so close to station. Great places to eat within yards of hotel.

• Superior Queen Room

A/C is an old window unit that was located behind a curtain and it was hard to read and reach the controls. Also, Bathroom was renovated, but other parts of the room and the hallways, not.

Bathroom renovated - nice.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

On day 1 we were given a room which rented at a lower price that the one we had paid for with an excuse but no compensation except free WiFi.

Good beds pleasant room.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

It's just the printer doesn't work well. Wifi need extra payment.

Comfortable and clean. Helpful staff. Great location with subway, restaurants, banks, supermarket nearby.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

You can't like everything. I think that the rooms are not isolated enough to noise. That can be due to the windows A/C or for other reasons. We were so tired that It didn't bother us too much but for other people it may be inconvenient.

The hotel is nice and affordable, all rooms has air conditioning. The location of the hotel is very good. not only that it is 50 meters from the metro, 96 street is an express station(1 - Localm 2and3 - Express), so getting from there to times square is just 2 stops and even all the way to Battery Park is 6-7 stops. This is very helpful and saved us tons of time. Also in few minutes you will be in Central park or at the Hudson river. The staff is very nice and eager to help with any issue. For example, I notify the hotel that I will arrive very late (1am), so they were ready for me. The minute I walk in they knew who I was, gave me my key and check in took 2 minutes. Quick and effective! We took a large room for 4 which included a sitting area and a small kitchenette. Very recommended to pay a bit more and get that space. Worth every cent.

• Deluxe Junior Suite

Parking was inconvenient and over priced, found cheaper option on my own. Bed was very uncomfortable, old mattress was lumpy and had dip in the center that we kept rolling into

Location was excellent

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I think it is a bummer to pay for WiFi

Comfortable large room in older hotel. Staff helpful and responsive when we needed taxi very early in the morning to go back to airport to go home. Right next to subway stop so easy to get everywhere. Quiet at night. The hotel is about 2 blocks from Central Park

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Make sure to check that you are booking a room without a bathroom in it. The bathroom is usually conveniently located outside the room, just make sure you are aware of what you are going into. The elevator seems to be breaking a lot, but we were lucky and during our stay it only broke once and was fixed pretty quickly.

The location is great. Close to the Central Park, a lot of cafes and restaurants around, the subway is very close too. The room is comfortable enough for the price you are paying.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

I wish there was free wi-if. And a plug for the phone near the bed. Only one elevator which could be tied up when busy.

A terrific value. Great neighborhood. Clean. Comfy, a fridge in the room. Right next to subway.

• Standard Single Room

Horrible. Stench of insecticide all over. Elevator got stuck twice with me in it, and broken twice. Smoke alarm battery was worn out and emitted an unpleasant intermittent noise. Staff denied anything was wrong. Room didn't have any drawers or dresser for clothing (twin room), which they don't tell you. Window faces an air shaft and is as dark during the day as at night. The television and electric outlets don't work. In my opinion the building should probably be condemned. Staff minimally friendly unless there's a problem. Then they are unfriendly. This is not a nice or pleasant place.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Don't bother with the in-room coffee maker. Also, the television remote was a bit finicky.

Deluxe Queen Room was roomy, quiet, clean and comfortable. Staff was very friendly, professional and accommodating.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The beds were fairly hard. Not nearly enough outlets for electronic devices. Because the hotel is so old, the elevator was slow sometimes and took a long time to get to our floor.

The hotel location was only a few blocks from Central Park. The subway station is half a block away. Was away from the all the touristy locations seem quieter. Lots of local restaurants and shopping to choose from. The hotel might be old, but was clean.

Browse Hotel Newton traveller photo gallery