Reviews of Rodeway Inn Encinitas North 2 stars

1444 North Coast Highway 101, Encinitas, CA 92024, USA

#6 of 9 hotels in Encinitas

With all matter coming from singularity...this is a good example of constructed matter.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

When heading north on the 101, I have to make a u-turn and head south to the property.

Enjoyed the Tuesday night free hamburger and hotdog night with all the fix’ins.

Cheapest place around a good location that leaves a lot to be desired.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room is very sparse and out dated. Wifi is horrible which wouldn't be a big deal however, the cell phone reception is sub par at best (AT&T) around that area.

Location and price can't be beat. Close enough to beaches and highway. Near plenty of places to eat within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

4.5
    A night clerk charged my card for a room, versus just an...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

A night clerk charged my card for a room, versus just an authorization when it was already booked on Booking.com. The manager Michelle then proceeded to a) not return my email b) argue with me over the error c) not refund a night I should not have charged for.

The ac was quiet.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

They sprayed bug spray in the room just before we got there. There was 6 months of dust in the window seals. The head board had thick dust. The pictures where dusty too. We had to leave the room for awhile till the sent of the bug spray was gone. I have dust allergies. I had problems sleeping all night.

The ac was quiet. Nice tv.

Great Stay!

Can't think of anything.

Loved the location; close to beaches; comfortable bed; good air conditioning; each room has a microwave and refrigerator making my stay very comfortable overall.

Great Rates & Location!!! Will Stay Again!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

For the area - this was a smoking deal! To be honest, I didnt have high expectations going into this but it was perfect! You get what you pay for plus more! Usually, when I book a cheaper hotel I assume it will be dirty or there will be some weird smell or something but this place was clean and comfortable and right by the beach! I will definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Beautiful Ocean View (talking about the picture hanging on the back wall in the hotel lobby!!)

No complaints!

Privacy, peace and quietness of the accommodation. Spacious, clean room. Price was excellent considering it is the height of the Cali summer season for beach vacations!!

Very comfortable bed.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Key did not work and after going up and down stairs to tell them this a few times they moved me to another room There were people gathered and partying right outside the office at the tables and chairs until 11:00pm. You would think the staff would ask them to be quiet or go away after 10pm but they did nothing.

Very comfortable bed. Room was clean.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Clean and basic 👍🏻
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The front desk receptionist, in the day time. I felt she was, not so pleasant to talk to and unaccommodating.

Most importantly, Hotel was clean, basic amenities in room, which was fine for me, refrigerator & microwave. Bring your own toiletries. Front desk during the day was not so pleasant & she kept leaving a sign back in five minutes. The evening shift was much more pleasant & helpful. Easy walk to the cliffs down to the beach and a few restaurants within a 1/4 mile.

Comfy beds, spacious room, it was very clean and the...

I had to leave early the day I was checking out, around 5:30am, I returned to the room to pick up my stuff around 10am, right before check out time. I accidentally took the room key with me when I checked out, so I went back to drop it off later that day so I wouldn't get charged the additional $15 for the key. I asked the manager sitting at check in counter if I was getting my deposit back. She looked at her notes and said no because the room keeper said it smelled like marijuana in the room and I had booked a non-smoking room, so I didn't get my $75 deposit back. I explained to her that there was absolutely no smoking going on. I have been booking rooms almost every month for over a year, I don't smoke so I always book NON SMOKING. Unfortunately, there's absolutely no way I can prove that there was no smoking going on in the room, so I lost my money. I've always had great experiences with Rodeway Inn and this has never happened. I called customer service and made a complaint about this but chances are, they will take their employees side over mine because I'm probably just look like a pot head in their eyes. For this reason, I will not be staying here again.

Comfy beds, spacious room, it was very clean and the location was perfect!

Good location. Disgruntled staff. Nice breakfast.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Amenities weren't as advertised on Booking's site. Plain, general hotel room here. Staff person ignored me for a little while when I arrived to check in. Staff person was snippy when I called the office to ask questions after checking in.

Good location. Room was clean. Breakfast was good.

Super close to so much to do
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Very clean, well-managed and a great value. The restaurant next door is probably the most popular in town, affordable and innovative fish and fresh food, so convenient!

Clean and basic
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The beach access was a bit further than I had anticipated; be aware that although the Rodeway Inn is 2 blocks from the ocean, the street (Neptune) that parallels the beach is lined with houses with no views of the ocean. You have to walk several blocks to get to a long stairways that descends to the beach. It's uphill and then over a few blocks so it could be tiring if you are carrying a lot of stuff and the stairs to the beach are definitely not accessible for persons with disabilities.

Basic, clean, nice having a small refrigerator in the room. Close to lots of things to do in the area.

The location was great.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Bed wasn't very comfortable. Its an old spring mattress and just wasn't nice at all. Also you can hear the train all through the night, which along with the poor mattress, didn't lend to great nights of sleep. I felt that for the price that we paid, and it was a holiday weekend (Memorial) that we should have gotten a little more. This is a really a bare bones kinda place. No breakfast available, only a run down coffee machine that makes burnt coffee.

The location was great. It is right on the Coastal Highway, about a five minute drive into downtown Encinitas and close to some great beaches! The actual room was spacious which was nice. Bathroom was clean, with a nice shower head and good water pressure. A vanity outside the bathroom increased space as well.

Staff doesn’t ruin the experience in this case, I still had a lovely stay in my room.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The two staff I did interact with were not in a good mood or just plain rude. Didn’t make me feel welcome :/

Very easy booking with simplicity. The room was cheap for a solid room. Definitely did the job I was looking for in a room in the area.

If we could have canceled without getting charged we would have found other accommodations
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Advertise they had spa tubs in the rooms but when told that they did not work response was oh yea we had problems with those they will be taken out soon

Location was good close to the beach

Good location, beds are too hard.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I’ve stayed here once before and this experience was less satisfying than the previous stay primarily due to a bed that was not comfortable for me. Other than that it is clean and orderly and the check in was quick and friendly. I just needed a place to sleep for one night and I didn’t get a good nights sleep.

Good and fair value for the accommodation.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The beverage vending machine was not well stocked with the, I believe, the more popular type of drinks. Only 3 cans of lemon-lime soda and no bottled water at all during my Saturday late afternoon to Monday morning stay.

There was a problem with the toilet in not completely flushing. When I reported this to the desk clerk Sunday morning, I indicated that I would be away for 3 to 4 hours and asked if this would be ample time to effect a repair. The clerk said that I could be moved to another room upon my return. I thought that this was an outstanding offer and solution. Upon my return, the toilet had been sorted and I stayed in the same room, which was also just fine with me. No repacking, moving and unpacking required. Situation well handled by the staff. All of the staff that I conversed with were polite, helpful and well trained to be in the hospitality business.

The property was very well kept.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I stayed in a double queen room. Both beds were terrible! Old spring mattresses. The pillows were just as bad. Luckily I did bring my own. I only stayed one night. And the rest of my experience was awesome so the beds are not a deal breaker for me. I would go back to this hotel.

The property was very well kept. I found it to be conveniently located to beaches, shops and restaurants. The room was very clean.

Stayed here out of necessity only, on a budget
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Noisy vile neighbors,possibly criminal, constant checking in/out seemingly,thin walls, that's Leucadia

Nice clean room, comfortable,liked the fridge and microwave

Average. Could’ve been way above average without much to do by the owners/management.

Right next to train tracks. I was woken at 530am by a train sounding it’s horn. Beds need upgrading. Windows need a curtain that lets in the light but keeps eyes out. The 72 hour cancelation policy is a bit excessive. I stayed for three nights. My plans changed on th first day when Legoland closed one of their parks. (That we were gonna visit the next day) this “policy” wouldn’t let me take even one day off my reservation. Oh ya. Don’t rely on the WiFi. It’s very slow.

This place is a nicer building in the area. Walking distance to restaurants. Showers are better than some.

Good value for money.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Bathroom fan was too noisy, and there was no light above the mirror, as one main light was not bright enough for shaving. The bed was not stable, shaked/squeaked too much while changing sides.

Good price, big rooms and easy do parking.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The heater make too much noise. It's near the train line.

Big room, easy to parking, very clean, staff are very receptive, lots of restaurantes nearby.

It was close to the beach.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was just creaky springs wrapped in thin fabric, the room next to me was filled with hookers, and the parking situation is pretty bad.

It was close to the beach. There are fun bars and delicious restaurants nearby

Very good cost to value ratio.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It's an old but well maintained and clean property. The rooms have a flat screen TV, microwave and mini fridge. If you go to Encinitas have dinner at Trattoria I Trulli, 830 S. Coast Hwy. 101.

I liked there was a rectangular (mini) table and Microwave...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I was not able to park close to my room. In room, One hanger was broken. No one fixed. I just put it back how it was. I also did not like that the bath tub had some hairs.

I liked there was a rectangular (mini) table and Microwave and refrigerator.

Decent stay, nice staff, but some trashy clients.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Thin walls - could hear neighbor's having sex and listening to music. Much of the clientele was pretty trashy. Packed parking next to rooms left little space to maneuver between cars to get to stairwell.

Maid service was excellent

This was an excellent economy motel experience. We will be staying there again soon.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There are a limited number of parking spaces available in front of the rooms. There are additional spaces between the office and the street. This provides a sufficient number of parking spaces for hotel guests. We parked in the front lot overnight. This did not represent an inconvenience to us in any way. There is nothing that management can do to reconfigure parking. However, it could potentially be a problem for those travelers with mobility issues.

Check in was seamless. The attitude of the staff was upbeat and very helpful. Rodeway is an economy hotel with rates that are competitive with other hotels of the same class. This experience differed from other stays at economy hotels in that the room was very spacious in size. The Queen bed was comfortable. The furnishings were simple but ample. The room would have worked well for a holiday or a business trip. The bathroom was very large. There was a standard size bathtub with shower, a simple sink and toilet. The water pressure was high. There was and iron and a hair dryer available for use. A large screen TV was wall mounted across from the bed in typical fashion. The wall heating and cooling unit provided ample warmth on a mildly chilly December night. The room was very clean. There were none of the smells that one might come to associate with a stay in an older building. There is nearby beach access for those that would like to take a stroll along the shoreline.

2star budget hotel. I would spend more for a nicer place next time.

Wasn’t as clean as it looks in photos, manager made me and my guests feel unwanted in the nice outdoor patio area. He asked us to leave, although we were paying guests. WiFi wasn’t working for most of my stay so it created frustration when we needed to use a secure network.

Two beds, small fridge, microwave, relatively close to the beach and some restaurants. Ample parking, friendly staff overall.

Will never stay at hotel again

That I booked room for 2 people but had to pay more then what I was booked for

Booked room for 2 people and was called by night manager and was told I had to pay $22.00 more on the room for the 2nd person or I would be asked to leave ended up leaving around 12 am night staff was very rude will never stay there again

Nice
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Those guests who happen to smoke have to go all the way down to the sidewalk and STAND to have a cigarette if they want one. Unable to sit at an outside designated table to do so comfortably.

Beds were comfortable & room layout good.

Looking at the ammenities provided listed, probably would request the spa tub and such next time.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

More pillows for the bed. Had to ask for a hair dryer - but they gave me one. The room was sparse but clean and comfortable for my purposes. Would've appreciated a coffee pot or at least cups to heat water in for tea. They have a machine that gives you have a cup of hot water in the office.

There was no breakfast - but there was a microwave and fridge so had brought something. No plug for the bathtub - but shower was hot. The room was clean. It was 3-1/2 miles from my daughter's - so it was convenient to stay. The price was good.

Clean room for what it's worth
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't like the fact they charge u for making changes to your reservations and the lack of communication the property has responding back to emails customers questions and concerns ect.

Was ok
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Bed was old. The box springs were bad. Pillows uncomfortable Tub was an old jacuzzi tub but didn't work nor did it have a stopper or plug to take a bath..

Love the location and the staff.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms were a little ragged....to say the least. Clean, but worn.

The staff was really good, the guy at the desk was excellent. We ran into several of the maids, they were equally excellent. Great staff at this property. The location is amazing.

Would stay here again for discount rate. The room is not worth their regular room rate.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

the room was clean but pretty shoddy. Towels were old and very scratchy and stained. Mini Fridge in room was loud and made it hard to sleep.

Can't beat the location and the price was right for a budget trip. I would never have paid full price for this room in the first place though. It was worth what I paid but not $129 a night.

My wife and I stayed at the Rodeway for a few days quick...

My wife and I stayed at the Rodeway for a few days quick getaway. The motel was clean and fairly quiet (there is a railroad line across the street, so you'll hear a train every once in awhile). There are a couple of restaurants within walking distance, but it is a couple of miles to the main shopping, restaurant area of Encinitas, a pretty quick and easy drive. Several very nice beaches are also within a quick (less than 10 minutes) drive. We both felt the motel was above our expectations for the price.

Great location at very affordable price.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The fan in the bathroom is very loud.

Great location at very affordable price. Close to the beach and great restaurants. Clean. Friendly staff. Good size room, comfortable beds.

Staff is rude

Staff Michelle

Staff is very rude. Michelle who claimed to be the owner of the hotel was condescending, snippy attitude, no smiles. Maybe she was having a bad day.

For the deal I got, this property was really great.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

For the deal I got, this property was really great. Just a simple room but big and clean with good wifi. Having a car allowed me access to all great spots. I'm not sure about the closest beach as I drove. But I wound up paying about 60 $ / night and that seemed a great deal to be chillin in Southern Cali.

Quiet, restful stay in North County San Diego
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Location is good. You can climb the back stairs into the quiet neighborhood and walk 15 minutes to the beach. Appreciated being able to get assorted teas and coffee in the lobby are. The receptionist even had a wine opener for the evening.

Good value and location for Encinitas beach stay
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Staff very professional and friendly. Great location next to Fish 101 restaurant; excellent location for surfing in Leucadia. Rooms are spacious and clean. Train can be loud, but room fan provides good white noise.

Great value for the money and ideal location.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I am an interior designer so will be bias here. The interior decor needs an update. It was very dated and colors were bad. However, for the price I was still happy.

I am a vegan so I did not explore the breakfast option as I always have to bring my own food. The location and proximity to beach and freeway was excellent. It was well maintained and I felt very safe and relaxed. Bed was comfortable and I had plenty of room to spread out my computer, work samples and clothing.

I would stay there again.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I thought the rooms were overpriced, but so was the whole area. This was the best price I could find after checking hotels in the area several times on-line.

The bed was fine, the A/C and ceiling fan kept the room very comfortable. The refrigerator and the freezer kept my food and drinks cold. The room was quiet and on the first floor, which I requested. I was only there one night.

Friendly staff

being a Women traveling alone or with other Women friends we like to have a interior latch lock for added security. This Hotel did not have one and staying in other Hotels on our travels all others have these interior latches.

Friendly staff

When we arrived at our room our door and window were wide open and the room smelt VERY STRONGLY like Marijuana, the bedding was falling apart, their was candy wrapperstore in the bed, the bathtub was gross, the room was overall old. My kids were afraid to stay there. I paid $154 for the room which was supposed to be a 51 percent savings off the normal price! Total lie it was a $70 room at best. Also it is not located in Encinitas it is in Leucadia which is much dirtier and drug inhabited... the locals call it Qualuedadia! Never will I stay again especially with my children! I've also decided against using booking.com if they back and allow the straight out lies using to sell this booking.

Great place to stay, nice walk to the beach, and loved the Fish Restaraunt next door. Would return!

Oh the "expected" noisy couple in the middle of the night. Can't really do anything about that :) , just wish the beds headboards weren't back to back. Might have eliminated a lot of the headboard noise. I don't think my daughter would have heard so much.

Nice staff and very clean. Air Conditioning was great. Good lighting in the room, especially when I was getting ready for a work meeting.

OVER ALL OK ROOM WISE. BUT PAYING 69 2 TIMES WAS UNCALLED FOR.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

THE DOUBLE BOOKING FEE WAS WRONG.

room and staff was ok. But booked twice by mistake. GOT STUCK FOR $ 69.00 TWICE. No one we TALKED TOO CARED. SO OUT THE EXTRA MONEY. NOT RIGHT..........

Clean comfort a short walk from the beach
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The property is in good condition and is clean. However there is some deferred maintenance that could be attended to. The rates a really good and could actually be higher for this crazy good location. More revenue could mean upgrades and even more business at a higher margin. Staff is great and deserve more business.

Great location with short walk to the beach and local restaurants.

Excellent value for a beach getaway
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

This question does not apply it was the perfect little get away for a night to beat the Heat

It was an imperfect Beach setting that allowed us to park at the hotel and walk for dinner walk to a store for anything we needed without having to get in our car and face the traffic in the heat again we went to a beautiful dinner walk to there had wine and walk back it was perfect

Bamboozle stay
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was hard. The shower head pressure was weak and the walk to the beach was NOT 5 mins. The beaches near there don't have much to offer either. Also, no pool or Jacuzzi.

Not totally unfortunate but.......

For the money breakfast should be included. For a non smoking room.......the room smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. Asked maid for extra towel and was told you have to trade dirty one for a clean one. Male desk staff were very unfriendly.

Female desk staff were friendly and helpful. Being next door to FISH 101 was great place to eat!

My best experience with Booking.com to date.

Bed was comfortable but a little soft for my liking. Some trouble with the tv control, no breakfast (but I knew that coming in).

Basically, everything about the hotel: staff, clean, quiet, frig and microwave, free coffee and juice 7-11am, lots of restaurants within walking distance, safe location, a few miles from several large and modern shopping centers, AAA.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Good value for the price.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The towels were very scratchy.

The room was clean and comfortable. They gave us extra pillows when we requested them. Wifi was easy to access. Even though the room was well-used, it was clean.

The room was great.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

WIFI worked really bad. I had the room 101, just next to the office. The door did a lot of noise and woke me up several times when guest or either checked in really late or checked out early. Loud train in front, but wasnt that bad.

The room was great. Great bed. Good Shower. Clean.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Location was ideal for the trip

Upon arrival I was given a room #. Representative was very flustered and unwelcoming. Went to room, key wouldn't unlock door. Finally, someone inside the room opened it. We were both horrified by the idea of given same room. Went back to lobby. Young lady took my key and reassigned me a different room. She didn't apologize. I expressed how upset I was. I got an "sorry" but was it. Not staying there again

Location was ideal for the trip

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Great Value, Nice Staff.

Nothing really.

At the risk of giving up a good secret.This place is great for location and price. The staff is really nice and helpful. Its walking distance from many a great restaurant. And the beach is just a two block walk away.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

disappointed, very short of my expectation.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

water is dripping in the shower. it is not cleaned well. clerk parked his car in the handicap taking our handicap parking. make it worst is, it was raining hard that night. how irational is that, he should have known better thinking he is the staff who should make the guest comfortable and respected. he didn't realize he could have been towed or fine of minimum of $ 240. i hope the management should fined him and reprimanded. he just lost a prospective good guest.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Great Value Clean and Safe
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

A little more water pressure in the showers, less in the sink.

This is a good place to stay if you just need the basics. The Room was clean. The staff were excellent and very accomodating. There are alot of great resturants close by and noise levels were not bad at all. (its right next to the train tracks but you rarely if ever hear the trains) Great Value!

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

We liked everything.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Parking was a little tight for a van.

We liked everything. Staff was very friendly. Room was clean. It was quiet,and in an excellent location close to Just Peachy the donut shop and Grandview Beach.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Extremely noisy.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Extremely noisy. I'm sure that is always the case when the parking lot is at your front door. Not your fault. Bad planning on the design part of the property.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

It will be a one time stay.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was reasonable comfortable - the pillows not so much- the extra pillows we asked for did not even have pillow cases. Everything appeared to be clean but we both felt that bed bugs could attack at any moment.

It was close to the office we were visiting.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

I'm so hungry!

The beds were horrible. They definitely need new mattresses. But that want the worst part. Went to Benihana's on the night of check in and didn't finish my food. When I woke up in the morning, I was so excited to eat my leftovers only to find out that the microwave doesn't work. Really?! How do you not replace things that are not working? Horrible horrible horrible!

Location was awesome. Minutes from Legoland and the beach.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Worst experience ever...yet place is very nice..

my Mom and I made reservation about 3 weeks early for a wedding...she lives 100 miles north..she decided to not come day 1 of 3...the front desk young lady would not let me check in unless my mom changed name on booking dot com--my 86 year old Mom does not do computers..My brother drove my Mom down at peak traffic hours so i could check in...Total mishandling of this situation by that manager,, i even had my mom authorize by phone and had my moms credit card on me. Totally Mishandled.

Rest of Staff was fine..

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

Great stay in Encinitas-Rodeway Inn
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

it is close to Amtrak, you can hear the noise every other hour-did not bother us that much, but still you can har it it is 4-5 blocks away in every direction from the access to the beach coffee not in the room but you can get it in the office

clean room-did not smell professional personal laundry room if you need it close to good mini -market store location is right on N Coast Hwy 101 in Encinitas v v good price in oct 2016 lots of parking spaces

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Poor nothing left.

How about coffee in entry for evening. Why not get ice machine fixed, none. How about getting refreshment machines filled up, lots sold out!!

Poor nothing left.

Disappointed......................
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room 111 had unfinished repairs at the entry door jamb. The place was worn and outdated. Not worth the cost.

I didn't like anything about the room.

Great low price in a great area ☆

no complaints.

the value was unbeatable. The beach is very close by and gorgeous.

Beschloss in lucadia Ca.

Not easy to access the beach as advertised .no coffee maker in room.

Clean and comfortable. Good price.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Clean and centrally located near the beach.

Spotty Wi-Fi

Clean and centrally located near the beach.

Location and flowers, shrubs, trees, etc.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Location and flowers, shrubs, trees, etc. on the property. Beautiful and well taken care of.

Nice room and location

Beds kind of hard

Nice room and location

Great location and hospitality
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Clean, walking distance to ocean and dining

Thanks for everything
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The location was great the staff was great and the room was well cared for.

Clean place.