Reviews of Ocean Spray Hotel 3 stars

4130 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140, USA

#250 of 390 hotels in Miami Beach

5.6

Way too expensive for what we got; 720$ for 5 nights at the worst hotel which we didnt even stay at
    • Premium Queen Room

Firstoff, my flight came late and I was supposed to arrive at 4 pm. I let the hotel know and I landed at 1 am and had to pay full price for the day even though I wasn't even there until almost 2 in the morning. We ended up only sleeping there one of the nights and we stayed at a friends. Saturday we left and checked out early even though I had paid for Sunday. The room was so small and the fridge was broken so we couldn't save our food or even have cold water. There wasn't even a microwave. No ventilation in the bathroom and shower curtain was too small for the tub, so water went everywhere. Everything was soaking wet after we used the shower. I basically paid to stay in a closet. I am extremely disappointed and this was a complete waste of my money, there are way better deals elsewhere.

You have to pay if you are 2 hours early to get into room. Nice location and nice cleaning ladies
    • Premium Queen Room

The debit card I used when booked from home got damaged so I showed the new one (same name, account & kind of card) so I was charged AGAIN for my stay AND THEN credited for the previous payment Stupid way of doing things since the hotel had already been paid! I stayed in other hotels where I paid the balance with the new card and it was NEVER a problem. And one has to pay to get in the room 2 hours before checking time, even if it is available

I liked the location and the many buses around since I did not have a car

Big room, bed was comfy
    • Premium King Room

My door didn't lock. Safe didn't work. There was a lot of noise from other guests. Some staff members were were quite rude.

Big room, bed was comfy

it is OK.
    • Premium Queen Room

Air condition is too agressive; although we swithed it OFF, the room remained ice-cold, as the door has 5mm gap, and the cold air can get into the room form the corridor...

Good location, near the beach.

great for the location
    • Premium Queen Room

needs better security with randoms wondering around the hotel needs lift sorting and possible its yearly checks as the paperwork inside the lift not been checked since 2015. shockingly slow and unreliable internet

friendly staff great location

The stay was very short and pleasant but the staff and the parking could've been more better

Upon arriving the staff took very long at the front desk to assist the hotel didn't make it very clear that it wasn't any parking for their guest and the elevators had a very old mold smell very unpleasant

Very clean room and bathrooms were very pleasant and clean

Cozy hotel near the beach that perfectly meets the price you pay for staying.
    • Premium Queen Room

Strange conditioning in hotels' 4th floor. It was freezing when the room had normal temperature and outside was hot. Moreover, elevator is a bit old, requires renovation. It is sad that they do not serve ordinary breakfast, just have Subway downstairs. But it is too much for everyday.

It's very close to the beach and hotel gives you beach towels everyday. Also they have special offers like - 20$ for 2 sunbeds and an umbrella per whole day.

Please spend your money elsewhere!
    • Premium Queen Room

At check in, the staff confused us with other guest (They didn’t apologize for the allocations). The room was not clean, ice machine was not working, and the beds weren’t comfortable. Please spend your money elsewhere!

The wifi had some problems, sometimes even for multiple...
    • Premium Queen Room

The wifi had some problems, sometimes even for multiple hours but overall it worked well. The lock on the door (magnetic) you really got to figure it out and it can take several tries. And the bathroom area is pretty cool but the water pressure on the tap is way too strong and the stream isn't soft. It always come way too hard so you get water everywhere for just wanting to was your hands.

Beach just a block away.
    • Premium Queen Room

Smells like subway minute you walk in the door, there is a small franchise right in reception. Floors, hallways stained and gross. 1 elevator that seems like it is a service elevator and just 1 for seven floors. AC unit has 2 settings, freezing and off. Water pressure non existent, really hard to take a shower. No coffee for guests in the a.m. Worst hotel experience ever.

Beach just a block away.

A quick getaway of fun
    • Premium Queen Room

Room were kind of small but that's a small detail because I was never in the room

The room had a great view of the beach. Easy to check in and out but no there want a lot of parking

Avoid
    • Premium King Room

The entrance: a mess. It stank of food from Subway The person at the reception was not very friendly. In the room two of five drawers were closed because broken, the waterpoint in the sink was loose One elevator for seven floors. After one month they still have not refunded the deposit of $100. My email to them did not get replied too.

Good location.
    • Premium Queen Room

AC had 2 options: off and freezing. It was also incredibly cold in the hallways. Really expensive for such a basic hotel but that´s the way it is in Miami Beach. Unreliable wifi.

Good location. Airport bus 150 from the airport stops behind the hotel and leaves to the airport in front of it. Beach is just 1 block away. South beach is easily reached by free trolleybus. Couple of stores and bars nearby. Clean and nicely decorated. Subway inside the hotel.

Uncomfortable and not worth my money
    • Premium Queen Room

Our bed broke when i sat on the front corner.....the front desk man said i would have to suffer through the night and our 2nd room did not have an opetational television

Whole hotel smells of subway, noisy during the night, they charge you for the room before you stay
    • Premium Queen Room

1. When you first walk in you come across a disgusting smell of SUBWAY bread. Yup, they have a franchise inside next to the reception and the smell fills up the hotel from the top to the bottom. Repulsive. Only thing to eat there is a vegetarian salad. One of the girls has ripped me off by little over $20(fresh bank notes from the cash point got stuck and she denied it when I know I took from my room $40). Made it clear with her when I said that her till should have been up by that amount. She just ignored me and told me she doesn’t understand what I’m talking about(I was speaking English). Ever since she tried not to serve me and talk Spanish behind my back(sadly I understand the language!!!). $20 for me is nothing but clearly for her it was a lot. I hope it brought her happiness. 2. When I checked in I was FORCED TO PAY FOR THE ROOM UP FRONT, without seeing it or even staying in it!!! I was SHOCKED!!!!!! Never experienced anything like this. I have been told it’s a hotel policy to take all the money in advance because it was high season! SHOCKING! 3. Customers elevator- you feel like a cow! This elevator is not a customer elevator. It is a Goods Lift. The noise it makes is so bad, it shakes all the way up. Quite scary at first. When I was in my bed(bedroom was situated on the opposite side of the building), I could hear this noisy lift every two mins, the doors slam unbelievably hard! Honestly you should come supplied with tranquilizers if you are considering staying there! You will need it! The people who stay there are clearly thick, come from a working class and are super inconsiderate(the low calibre that you would expect to stay in a cheap place like this). They slam their doors very hard, talk so loud on the corridor and their bedrooms that it feels as though they are standing next to your bed, you hear everything during the day/night.

Close to beach(2 mins walk), bed sheets were clean.

Really unfriendly staff And doesn’t worth the value !
    • Premium Queen Room

Really unfriendly staff... I mean the man at a reception clearly doesn’t like his job : he’s rude, doesn’t provide any kind of information, when I ask if I could change myself after the beach : he told me : no you checked out!

Nothing... The overall experience was more than disappointing : the money 150$ doesn’t worth the value

Mediocre at Best but lots potential

The water was NEVER HOT.... Even early mornings it was luke semi warm at best. The subway in lobby...and the smell of subway in lobby. Extremely noisy elevator with outdated inspection. We had a room labeled for handicapped...we weren’t but rode with it. The furniture arrangement suggests that room is definitely not for a wheelchair or walker handicapped person.

All I had to do was cross the street to get to beach!!! Far enough from ocean drive for a peaceful adult stay in Miami but close enough to venture. The best in between the extremes of Miami visits.

It was good and met our needs.
    • Premium Queen Room

There was nothing we did not like about this hotel.

The location was very good it is close to public transport, as well as the beach. Only a block away. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean, comfortable and a good size, for the two of us.

My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay

Fix the elevator

I enjoy the location of the hotel but there the water wasn't hot, they overbooked the hotel and placed us in a different room as well the elevator was out of service and we walked 7 floors but was later moved to the 4th floor. The staff is very nice , hotel is older but that was okay and it smelled of subway which is located in the hotel lobby.

This Art Deco Hotel is ok!
    • Premium Queen Room

No breakfast, safe did not work, no balcony, no pool, price should be cheaper for this standard of hotel and rooms

This Art Deco Hotel is ok! Staff is very friendly and helpful. Beds are good. Rooms are ok. The water (shower) is good. Make sure your safe is working in the room, ours did not work and they could not fix it! Elevators are a bit slow, get used to waiting! Relax...you are in Miami now! Hotel is getting a renovation so it should look much better when completed. Location is good, especially connecting to the airport. There is a direct bus from Miami international airport ( bus 150 from airport station ) and then it's 3 stops. When you see Walgreens ( right side ) get off after the bridge. There is free trolley buses ( the stop is around the corner to go to south beach, and drop off is in front of the hotel one block away, air-conditioned - so it's cold ) going from mid beach to Lincoln Road ( USAs longest and most busiest shopping Street!! ). Then just down the block to the south, you are at the beginning of Ocean drive and you can walk down the strip to enjoy the sights and sounds of Art Deco!!! The beach is only a 1 minute walk from the hotel, and very nice! Walk a bit south on the beach, 6-8 mins, is a very nice spot!! The hotel provides free beach towels! Subway food is in the hotel with some offers. Down the street at 49th Street is Primo cafe and Market ( good sandwiches and pastries Cuban style! ) At times it can be busy! For more selection of food, drinks, alcohol and groceries at reasonable prices, I really recommend Trinton supermarket at 27th street!! Make sure to check out downtown Miami, as you can use the free Metromover to explore the cool downtown buildings with a great view from above!! Enjoy!!

Unftiendly staff, we have been there before the hurricane...
    • Premium Queen Room

Unftiendly staff, we have been there before the hurricane Irma,they didn't inform us about that. We had to leave earlier,but they didn't want to recharge the last nighty

Wasn't impressed at all.

Wouldn't stay their again.

Wasn't impressed at all. Staff wasn't the friendly. Hard to get towels and wash clothes. I guess your supposed to wash with the same wash cloth and dry with the same towel your entire stay. The guy at the desk at night was great though.

I really enjoyed myself and was not ready to come home.
    • Premium Queen Room

The room was kinda small. The elevator was out of service for 5 hours,n we were on the fifth floor.No housekeeping the whole 4 days.

The bed was comfortable,and Subway was convient.The hotel was also close to the beach.

I will keep this property as an option, but last option.
    • Premium Queen Room

Paying $8 for parking that was 3 blocks from property & not having complimentary transportation to & from hotel's parking garage. Not good for when you're carrying luggage, taking carry out food back to eat @ hotel or shopping bags. Slow & outdated elevator, stale smell having to iron on a very small table ironing board.

Good hotel comfortability for the purpose of my stay & price!

Great location and staff but too many flaws to recommend it.
    • Premium Queen Room

Wow, where to start? :) The elevator is terribly slow and very irritating to wait. WiFi keeps failing, we called many times a day to ask to get it fixed. Air condition leaked, we asked for it to be fixed, and it was....on the LAST night of our stay... Vending machines not working.

Location good, staff very friendly and the cleaning staff really friendly, nice and lovely. These people work although their surroundings and workplace doesn´t offer much.

Location was good.
    • Premium Queen Room

Flush didn't work..i had to call the reception to makeup the room.I kept 'maid' sign hanged on the door though they didn't makeup the room.

Location was good..1 min away from beach.

Good for beach time
    • Premium Queen Room

Unfortunately the Wi-Fi was spotty. Which is bad if your trying to work from your room. No parking was very inconvenient. You have to walk a few blocks to a parking garage. And it goes right past bask in robins that I kept stopping at. Grrr

Sad to say but, having a subway downstairs was great. I was working from my room so convince was huge. The location is great. The lobby has a bunch of really neat old decor. Staff was very nice.

I like the location, staff & cleanliness
    • Premium Queen Room

I didn't like that you couldn't smoke, they should've had more channels or give customers the option to rent movies

I like the location, staff & cleanliness

Perfect family spot!!! 2thumbs up
    • Premium King Room

Only complaint would b your room isn't cleaned at all good thing i packed my own towels an soap / products per the reviews. I think rooms should b cleaned and vacuum every day when ur near the beach my kids had so much sand on them i had to kick it around to clear the floors.

Location location location. The area is awesome and only 20mins by bus an or free trolly to south beach. Also able to catch local transportation to Bayside miami to ride the speed boats. Which the super nice young hotel staff helped and the man who checked us in. Love it

Excellent location for the value, but please fix your doors!
    • Premium Queen Room

The most annoying thing is the entrance door which has a (huge) gap at the bottom. It is actually so bad that this made sound insulation completely non-existent and room temperature was dictated by the corridor air temperature, irrespective of the AC settings inside the room. Please fix this (it should be a ridiculously easy fix to cover the gap). You will also solve the issue you have with random people entering the hotel and placing random flyers through the door gap. Internet is also really bad (it only worked the first day out of 6).

Quite a nice place overall, we had a room (one of the few) with a partial ocean view, which was nice. Very convenient location next to the free tramway station going to South Beach. Kettle with coffee and tea provided, but there is a shop 2 blocks away with excellent breakfast options.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Could of been better
    • Premium Queen Room

The service I had leak in my room Water didn't get too hot just warm whole entire trip Also no cups or bowls for ice they put my ice in plastic bags I feel I should get a credit or something because I'm not satisfied at all about my stay

I like that there was a subway in lobby of hotel

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

In general, not too bad
    • Premium Queen Room

1. Dirty spots on the carpet. 2. From 8 days of stay the internet was just the first 3 days. And receptionist claimed, that the problems is just in our phones (we have an Apple iPhones). But rest of receptionists told us that the hotel have a problems with internet. 3. Because of construction works, elevator didn't work sometimes.

1. Close to ocean. 2. Very good public transport system close to hotel.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

No frills, great price, great location.
    • Premium King Room

lobby is "interesting." but whatever, for the price it's fine. parking is a little far away but cheap ($8 per day) 5-10 min walk from hotel.

no nonsense, great price for location

Never again
    • Premium Queen Room

Everything else. Didn't get the room we booked months in advance. Staff wasn't nice. Sheets were all stained. There isn't any cheap parking. I could go on. I'd never stay here again.

The bed was comfy.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Great area
    • Premium King Room

Extra charges including $5 each bag if you need to leave luggage there to enjoy the beach on the checkout day. Large stain on carpet where AC was steadily leaking on carpet. Drop noise made sleep difficult

Great area

Overall it was a pleasant stay
    • Premium King Room

Very dated decor and furniture. Overpriced but it was a Saturday in peak season so understandable

staff suggested where we could pay very cheaply which was great. Comfortable and clean

I highly recommend this place for comfort, location and price!

I have to be honest, the lobby furniture looks like museum finds, so I was a bit afraid to sit on anything and, well, we did laugh at the sink vanity in the bathroom...it was lop-sided...room 504...it looked like a 12 year old built it. However, other than that, absolutely nothing was amiss. If you are picky, snobby, and/or like luxury or expect something for nothing... this place probably isn't for you ... but if you are into comfortable, peaceful, at a good price and location, then you cannot go wrong here.

I was pleasantly surprised at this hotel. We stayed 6 nights and loved every minute of it. There is a Subway in the lobby and a nice place to eat on the porch where you can catch the wind. It is 1 block from the beach but to me, it felt like half a block. When you cross over the boardwalk, there is a booth that offers 2 beach chairs with pads, 2 thick beach towels, an umbrella and 2 bottles of water for $20 a day for Ocean Spray guests. The hotel also offers free beach towels. They are thinner but great for drying off with or wiping sand off your feet once you get back up on the boardwalk on your way back to the hotel. The room was bigger than I expected. Most in the hotels down there, the boutique types, are small. The housekeepers and front desk personnel went above and beyond. They were so nice. Also, we got there from the Miami airport ... just go to the Metrobus stop at the airport and take the Metro 150 bus and get off at Abbott and 41st street, walk 2 blocks to the left and there you are. It's only $1.50. We didn't even need a car. If you fly into Ft Lauderdale... catch the free shuttle bus to the Tri-Rail, buy your tickets to Miami airport via vending machine there...about $3.50...and catch the train to the Miami airport, then find the Metrobus vending machine, buy your ticket on the 150 bus, and take it to Abbott and 41st Streets. No need for a car!! This saved us a lot of $. Around the hotel, there are other hotels with food...some are pricey so check them out before you go. There's a Walgreens in less than half a mile, over the bridge on 41st street, and we bought a lot of stuff there to stock the fridge, then found out, there is also a small market/grocery store in the Westover Arms Hotel/Apartel on the opposite corner of the Ocean Spray so you can pick up some stuff there as well. If you like Cuban food, you MUST visit the Latin Cafe on 41st street. I believe it's at 441 or 442 41st Street...

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Great location and value for the money.
    • Premium Queen Room

The internet did not work all the time during our 3 day stay, had to call them a couple of times to reset the router, and when it did work, it was slow. The bed mattress was soft and dipped in the middle, and we could clearly hear people in the hallway, although we had good neighbours during our stay.

The location was great, one block back from the beach/boardwalk. Restaurants are within easy walking distance, as was a market/cafe/beer/wine store. Room was spacious, bathroom a bit small. Deal with beach vendor available for purchase at front desk, $20 for two chairs and umbrella for the day.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Money/value ratio is one of the best in Miami Beach.
    • Premium King Room

Choose between the street noise from Collins Ave (window open) or the air con (window closed). The room had a bit of a fug. (but went away with some fresh air, or maybe I just got used to it?)

Money/value ratio is one of the best in Miami Beach. Free towels for the beach. Friendly and helpful personal. Room was cleaned every day.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

Excellent Stay
    • Premium Queen Room

The AC on the corridor was noisy. You could hear it even when the AC in the Room was turned on.

Staff was very friendly and helpful and the Location of the Hotel is very good. There is a Bus stop in front and the beach is just a 5 min walk away. Good restaurants are around. The Room was nice, clean and got cleaned and every day.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Good easy access to the beach or down to the strip is a...
    • Premium Queen Room

Hallway a/c was way too cold

Good easy access to the beach or down to the strip is a short taxi ride/cycle away. There was a 24 hour park that charged £8 3 blocks away from the hotel.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Premium Queen Room

Neither of their phone numbers seems to be working, and there are no phones in the rooms. Also on one day housekeeping didn't come until 6 pm, when I was trying to take a nap!

Excellent location, friendly staff, very clean & tidy. There is also a Subway sandwich shop in the lobby which is convenient.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Great hotel for the price
    • Premium Queen Room

The hotel just needs a little maintenance work, like elevator and room door. And should offer free WiFi in room as well.

Everything, Staff, facility, location, and more.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Good location but not the Ritz
    • Premium Queen Room

They staff are a slow and did not have the password to access my bookings.com reservation so I may be charged twice for the booking as I'm having trouble reaching the manager to discuss this matter

Acros from the beach

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

The hotel can do better
    • Premium Queen Room

The elevator was too old and slow and always full, so we had to use stairs. It was kind of noisy, because the room door weren't soundproof and the neigbours in the hall were loud - even after 10 PM. The wifi connection was very weak. That was my main dissapointment.

The bedroom equipment was trendy and looked new. Very nice. I liked the corner window in our room a lot. Great location - it was just one block from the beach. Also public transport stop (including airport bus) was right in front of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

Don't do it!
    • Premium Queen Room

It was dirty the closest parking was over a mile away and I felt like I was going to be raped while sleeping

I was completely dissatisfied with this hotel. It was misrepresented on your website, dirty and the staff was rude.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

A perfect price/value choice! This hotel doesn't cheat on adding extra unreasonable taxes.
    • Premium Queen Room

Free Wi-Fi in the lobby only.

Great location,very close to the beach, beds are comfortable, spacious rooms, clean. This hotel was the ONLY ONE i have found in Miami beach, which was not cheating in Booking.com and offering the real price for stay. All other hotels offer a cheap price but then surprisingly add $20 cleaning tax + 18% accommodation tax + other taxes etc. to your original price. The parking place is 5 mins on foot away for 8 dollars per night. Ask at the reception for directions.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

Accommodations were great and it was close to everything.
    • Premium Queen Room

No valet parking provided. You have to find spaces around the block and are very expensive $3.50 per hour. The only option is a public parking garage that is a bit more of a walking distance to the hotel, but it's the most economic per day at $8. That was the only negative, as far as accomodations and stay, everything was great. Very pleased.

Accommodations were great and it was close to everything. A walk to the beach and just a short drive to shops and work. Loved it!

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Rip-off-capitalists. Be aware.
    • Premium Queen Room

They are not transparent with costumers. When you get there you will FIND OUT that they will ask for $100,00 for "Security Reasons", blocked on your credit card. It is not a big deal IF ONLY they let you know in advance through Booking. Beyond that, our reservation was for the day that the Hurricane Mathew was passing by... OF COURSE they denied to cancel our reservation, even though probably the hotel would even be closed after all the evacuation orders in Miami. They could though (with a lot of efforts from our part) to move the reservation to another date as far as we paid more. So, once you book a room, do not expect any service at all from the staff, they really don´t mind if a twister is coming as far as they have your money.Guest service is Inexistent. Extremelly poor service, not willing to help.

Location is ok, but if you have a car prepare to park it 10 minutes away only (not provided by the hotel).

Horrible and smelly
    • Premium Queen Room

The room was very small, curtains were torn and dirty, carpet in the room and the hallway was also dingy, smelly and very very dirty

Not much to like, expected a little better wasn't worth what we paid for

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

Pleasant and convenient
    • Premium Queen Room

No wifi in room only lobby. Lobby shared with subway outlet, therefore an unwelcome smell and public access

Walk across the road to the Boardwalk and lovely beach. Near beautiful restaurants and short ride to south beach .

Comfortable horel in a convenienr locatio
    • Premium Queen Room

no bar or restaurant bkut tbe front porch is pleasanr

proximity to the beach

Another great stay at the OS!
    • Premium King Room

This was my third stay. I love everything about it and I will continue to stay here on my Miami Beach vacations.

check in staff struggled with English language

check in staff struggled with English language

Good time despite the weather, couple of rainy days.
    • Premium Queen Room

Bathroom lighting could be brighter.

Room was clean and comfortable. Location ideal. Beach across the street. Shopping within walking distance.

Older.
    • Premium Queen Room

Older. Everything worked and clean. Can use an update.

2 night stay
    • Premium Queen Room

Beach chair and umbrella deal

Price and clisenss to the beach

It's very comfortable
    • Premium Queen Room

It's very comfortable and in the middle of everything mellow spot I love it 2nd time here and will comeback

Fair option to sleep in Miami Beach, 20min walking far from Oceans Drive

It's expensive... but all the area is really expensive indeed

Could be better

No microwaves

View

You can reach a very nice beach just walking 5min from the...
    • Premium Queen Room

You can reach a very nice beach just walking 5min from the hotel and there is a mini market on the same road where you can get breakfast/lunch.

A good choice
    • Premium Queen Room

No parking nearby. Smelly entrance because of subway restaurant inside the hotel.

Friendly and helpful staff. Cost-effective. Nice clean room.

No parking

No parking

The staff was friendly and helpful

The staff was friendly and helpful

Room fine
    • Premium Queen Room

Needs an overhaul in reception area and better extraction system to remove the smell of the Subway outlet

I would not stay here again. Very noisy and needs maintenance.
    • Premium Queen Room

It was very run down. Air conditioning was very loud. Elevator seemed untrustworthy.

I liked the location. I also liked the bed.

The access to other locations

Old condition

The access to other locations

6.0
    Bed was great
    • Premium Queen Room

The overall condition of the hotel was poor

Bed was great

Good location.
    • Premium Queen Room

Good location. Airport bus and sightseeing bus stopped just across the road. One block from the beach. Clean with big, comfy bed.

My tv was broken the toilet was leaking

My tv was broken the toilet was leaking

Old fashion decor and dirty carpet.
    • Premium Queen Room

Old fashion decor and dirty carpet. Also the hotel smelled like subway

good, wouldnt choose it normally but would in a jam
    • Premium Queen Room

small room, subway in lobby

friendly staff,decent location for price

little room, elevator old and noisy ,no parking garage , no...

little room, elevator old and noisy ,no parking garage , no hot water.

There is more places to expend your time and money, not this “hotel”
    • Premium King Room

I didn’t like the security deposit

Nothin